Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassyd_gw

UPDATE: Best New: Best Gift Robin '2006'

sassyd
18 years ago

Ok time to start a new thread the 1st ones getting way too long.....

I would like to ask that you post here if you have received your pals snail mail addy from me!

These I know have received:

Faintheart

Tina TN

Buffy960

bojo96

Sandlapper Rose

Everyone else please let me know for sure! Thanks

Comments (104)

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is too cute Faint! You're sooooo good!

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Faint,
    Whatcha growing? I couldn't tell by the cross mixes. I've dabbled in streptocarpus hybridizing, hybrid violets. But, its so time consuming growing three generations out.

Deb

• TinaTN
    18 years ago

Thanks Julie!!!

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Here's both my boston boys... Toby and Melvin

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

I've worked on my box this weekend, and its ready to go. I don't want to send it too soon. When is everyone else planning on sending their packages out?

• debraq
    18 years ago

My box is sittin' pretty...waiting to go out on Feb 1st...my kitty keeps looking in the box and I really hope I don't mail him off to my RR bud.
    Thankfully its not Debbya,
    her puppies would EAT my pussy.....cat..ooops..
    heeheehee, I sure hope all you gals have a good sense of humor,....like the 'nasty girl' from n.y.

• faintheart
    18 years ago

Deb, those are daylily seedlings from seed crosses I purchased. It will be two years before I see first bloom. *sigh* I have some seedlings out in the garden that will be putting out their first blooms this season. I am soooo excited to see them. Some of the new ones may not be hardy here...but I am crossing my fingers! I also have a bunch of hosta seedlings growing and look forward to seeing them too...they will take a few years to stabilize and some may be mostly green. But I got some seeds from a few hybridizer friends so maybe....... ;)
    I rescued two AF noids just before Christmas and potted up a couple of leaves from them also. Nothing yet as far as babies...is there still hope?

Toby and Melvin are SOOOOOOOO cute! How old is Melvin?

~Faint

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Faint,
    Mel is 5 years old. He has such a sweet personality.
    Yes, there is still hope for the african violet leaves.
    If you want babies to appear sooner, snip the top of the leaf off with very sharp scissors or an exacto knife. Snipping the tip off makes the leaf produce faster- by tricking the leaf to produce or die. Some violet leaves keep growing instead of producing babies. The snipping helps this too.
    Also, don't plant them in too much dirt. If too much dirt is used it takes a long time for them to reproduce. I use solo cups half filled with dirt. I usually get babies with in 10 weeks.
    If any leaves ever look like the are rotting, cut off the rotted parts and dust the cuts with cinnamon. Cinnamon is a natural fungicide.

Here is one of my violets, straight from South Africa. I ordered the leaves directly from the hybridizer.

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Deb that is....

Love African Violets!

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Ahhhh...so that's what African Violets are SUPPOSED to look like! LOL...I'm the Queen of Killing AV's.
    Dee, Your jungle's looking good! Has the hubby pulled out the machete yet? LOL So far, I'm up to 6 Fourth of July and 2 Rambling Red seedlings. For those of you wondering those are rose bush babies. LOL
    Deb? Your photobucket album has pics :)
    Tina...Your welcome ;)
    Debby...I bet your boys would have fun with my girls...
    Greta ( who thinks if she has paws on the floor it doesn't count as being on the couch LOL)

Ms.Wags Z...aka Queen Sheba Temple Trash (she owns us! lol)
    {{gwi:1238412}}

Sassy...don't know how you did it...but you did...got the the greatest group together...Kudos to you!!

• debraq
    18 years ago

ooooohhhh, I love all the cute pic's of the familys loved ones.
    thank you Julie, for helping me not be so cp illiterite, I just love the pics and sig's and how you helped me start me very own Photo album.
    You guys are the bestest bunch of people I've ever had the honor of meeting....awww shucks...I luv you guys,,,:)
    Deb.q
    I'll try and post my own pic when I get the courage..later

• TinaTN
    18 years ago

Good Morning gang! I have to agree with Julie and Deb Q...Diane, you have a wonderful group of ladies here, and I have to say, having friends like you guys has got to be the "Best Gift" anyone could ask for!!

{{gwi:1238413}}

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree with all of you! I don't know how I was so lucky, and I'm very thankful to you all! Julie, they're all adorable! Even Greta, goin for that 70's shag! lol You are a great group of girls and hope after this one we can do another one of some kind, I already have ideas floating around in there! Scary huh?

Diane

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Yeahhhhhhh me! LOL
    Finished up Amy's gift shopping. Now I just have to wait for Feb. 1 to mail. Hope you like everything! Speaking of, where the heck she been? Anyone seen her?
    Do you guys know how hard it is to shop with an angry mob of mailmen after you, trying to keep your attack bluebirds in line, your dragonfly gone steroidal and no sleep? LOL
    {{gwi:1238402}}

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Garden Hits...where are u????

• amybabyboy3
    18 years ago

Julie,
    Im right here and I know I will love everything.You all are so clever with all your cute pictures. I wish I was so talented. I had a lot of fun picking gifts for Sandlapper Rose(Jeanne) and I am hoping she loves them too! Have a great Day! Amy

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Amybabyboy3, you betcha I love gifts!!! We are all going to have so much fun getting our packages. The one to my pal is all boxed up and waiting to go to Ohio.
    Thanks for organizing this for us, Diane.
    The pictures have been MOST entertaining! Cute puppies and some pretty flowers, too.

• faintheart
    18 years ago

tick tock tick tock.....is it time to send yet?

With all these cute puppies hangin' around, Rollo asked for equal time! ;)
    {{gwi:1238414}}

• faintheart
    18 years ago

uhohhhhhhhhhhh.....Oreo demands equal time! =^.^=
    {{gwi:1238416}}

• buffy690
    18 years ago

To debbya
    This I know about your package
    Label/Receipt Number: 0304 1070 0002 6935 8767

Your item was accepted at 12:09 pm on January 30, 2006 in PROSPERITY, SC 29127.

I will update or you can goto www.usps.com and check out the delivery confirmation number for yourself to track the package.

I can't believe this thing is finally letting me post Diane, I have not been able to get in in a wekk. I tried to post you the secret but apparrantly it is meant to remain so.
    V

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Faint....Rollo & Oreo are too cute! Well ya'll just want me to post a pic of my Sassy!

V....glad to see you finally made it on!

Ok, girls tommorrows the 1st, go for it! Looks like V's on the move already!

• debraq
    18 years ago

OOOOOOOOhhhhh, I love the kittys. I had a kitty named Oreo too! He ran away though, he was a runner and one night just didn't come home, sniff.....
    I hope wherever he is, someone is taking really good care of him. I also had a tiger kitty, of course his name was Tiger. But he got a kidney blockage and I had to put him to sleep, sniff sniff, :( ....I miss him so much.
    I have two pets now, or really they have me. One is a pound puppy named Honey, and she looks like a fox/collie mix. Wonderful dog who lets the cat ( completly black with absolutely no white) Judo, kick her butt. Its so sad to see a tiny animal jump up and grab another who is at least 55 lbs heavier, by the neck and hang on using claws! Judo will even "sample" Honey's food and make her wait until he is done sampling! The poor dog lays down,wimpers and just watches until Judo is finally done so she can eat.
    I thought cats were AFRAID of dogs??
    Guess what tomorrow is????
    MAIL DAY!! YEA!
    Deb

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

I mailed mine today. I have soooo much stuff to do tomorrow (spring cleaning day) that I don't think I'll have time to leave the house. I'm steam cleaning the carpet, washing windows, etc. And dusting everything!
    I dread doing it, but it has to be done. ;)

USPS tracking number 0305 0830 0002 4989 9576.

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Deb,
    Cats are not afraid of dogs! At least mine isn't, LOL!
    I have an 9 year old cat (Spooky) who loves cleaning Toby! Spooky is a smaller male cat (he must be a runt, he's so petite) and anytime Toby's laying on the floor Spooky's by his side cleaning his head or back. Toby loves it! I laugh... Spooky's tried cleaning Melvin, but Melvin snaps at him. Melvin also cleans King Toby, my pets are mixed up! ;)

• faintheart
    18 years ago

Debbya!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a baby AV peekin' up!!!!!!!! One leaf I did trim before potting it and the other I didn't. The trimmed one has a weeeeeeee lil one. wooohooo! The untrimmed one kinda took a trip fallin' over but I did see that there were roots and what looks to me a lil one making its way on up so it might not be long. I'M A NEW MOMMY!!!!!! :)))

Did I mention???

That AV from South Africa is beeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful!

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

Ok where is everyone getting the animations ...how do I get one and how do I post it?

Vicki

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago
  • faintheart
    18 years ago

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy! You are here, Vicki...I was beginning to worry about you! Send me an email and I will make you a siggy. I can't attach them through GW email.

~Faint

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Faint.....you Squeaked? Hello? Hello? I'm hearing faint sounds of squeakiness!

• faintheart
    18 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhh Diane?!? That Sassy is one goooooooood lookin' lil man! ;) He and that Ms. Wags Z of Julie's sure make me miss my Rags Domino.

I just love furbabies! *sigh*

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Hi everyone...found this while looking for sig tags and got a chuckle...

Julie

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Julie,
    I've seen this pic before and giggled so hard when I did! I would love a spotty dotty kitty!

Faint,
    Isn't it exciting to see the babies peeking up from the soil? I'll post a pic on how big I let mine get before seperating. If you rush too quickly, and plant them too small, they don't do well and struggle to survive. The variegated baby is growing in a solo cup.

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Here's a quick peek at some streptocarpus babies!

• buffy690
    18 years ago

How is everyone, I hope all are fine
    Debbya I hope you like your package,

SassyD
    I have now made iton for two posts
    and I am a little concerned about not hearing anything from Regina about our other robin. Confirmation says it was DELIVERED

I have purchased something that I am sure to have more of in the next year 'Peruvial Daffodils' They are so pretty everyone that can should try them and everyone should be able to try them, in the ground or in a pot they are just beautiful.

Anyway got to go and get ready for work

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

My package is on its way to Erica. I hope you like what I sent! It was hard to part with it. (Sassy said to buy something we really liked!)

{{gwi:1238427}}

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, Y'all--

O....M.....G!!!!!! Been so busy trying to get that crap off the kitchen ceiling that I TOTALLY lost track of the days.....

And now I'm gonna have to play "ketchup"........as usual.......

*raising right hand and crossing heart with left* I hereby SWEAR (on the penalty of complete failure of any seed I plant to germinate) to have the best gift produced and out to Faint NO LATER than the 8th!!!!! (Somehow, some way, I'll s-q-u-e-e-z-e it in between the Feb. gift for my '06 Garden Circle Exchange Pal and Master Gardener classes--which start bright and early TOMORROW!!!!!)

Well, gotta go feed things and then get started.....

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• amybabyboy3
    18 years ago

Sandlapper Rose and Melissa's gift left GA on 1/30 and should be there very soon!! Enjoy!!! Amy

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Ohhh...Amy, Thanks for reminding me! I forgot to post that I sent out Melissa's gift on 1/31 by priority. So, it should arrive with in two days.

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whoohoo! Looks like this thing is finally getting started!
    I knew I had the best bunch of gals! I will have Vicki's off in the next couple of days, shes had the flu so I don't want to rush her! Can't wait to see what goodies we all get!

Well tommorrows Groundhog Day! Will he see his shadow?

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

This is so exciting - I am the first one to receive the Best Gift! (...and it is the Best Gift in addition to being first so make sure you vote for it...) Amy (Amybabyboy3) sent me:
    * a wonderful rose bush labeled Honorine de Brabant - it has striped roses which are absolutely my favorite kind
    * a purse that she made herself - cutest frog fabric!
    * a kit with a Red Lion amaryllis and Paperwhites and the pots and growing medium to grow them
    and a very sweet note with the prettiest picture and saying on the front. It says
    "Dishes done, Papers read, Children snuggled into bed, Hours past the setting sun, I count my blessings, One by one."
    Isn't that a pretty saying?
    Anyway, thank you so much, Amy, for a wonderful package. I will be cheering for you to win! Here's my picture. I'm hoping to make the point that you should vote for Amy.
    Notice that I already added the first prize ribbon when I submitted the photo of the gifts that she sent to me!

{{gwi:1238430}}

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Jeanne I'm so excited for you! Thats a nice gift package! And you got it soooo quick! You know when this is all said and done, its going to be a hard vote for ya'll but you gotta come thru! lol Amy, ya done good girl!

• buffy690
    18 years ago

Label/Receipt Number: 0304 1070 0002 6935 8767

Your item was delivered at 3:01 pm on February 01, 2006 in BRIDGEVIEW, IL 60455.

Just checking in to see if Debbya had posted she gotten her package
    V

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Wow...nice package you recieved sandlapper_rose! Amy did a great job!
    Amy? Your package will be in the mail tomorrow, so keep an eye out for your conf. #
    Gotta load up on caffeine...gotta be back to work in a few hours....sighhhhhhhhh

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey V....haven't seen anything yet, but I'm sure she'll post shortly! You girls are great!

Thank God for TRUE friends! And by the way, the BEST any girl can have! I appreciate it! Thanks for all the wonderful emails! I sware to God...emails are funnier
    than posts! lol

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Hi Victoria,
    WOW! You did such an EXCELLENT job of preparing the perfect package! Items for... brightening my garden, pampering my senses, and things to record seasonal changes, plans, thoughts for next year in my garden.

I personally think she should win ~Best Gift Robin 2006~

Here is a pic of all what was sent... and I'll describe all the goodies in the box after the picture.

In the box was a gorgeous clay (ceramic) Garden Angel, and a journal, cute Geddes cat pen. I plan on using the journal and pen to make notes/thoughts on the garden this year, and plans for next years garden!
    Also, gardening gloves/seeds were included. Italian parsley, Astilbe, Sweet Basil, Culvers Root Alba, Coriander, Nepta Subsessilis, Window box sweet peas, Monarda, Gloriosa Daisy, Dill.

A few packages of Sweet Ginger peach tea --YUM!
    (I can't wait to try this tomorrow) and write in my new journal about all the new plans I have for several new window boxes my Husband promised to make me. Along with revamping a few flower beds!
    Some bulbs were included-- a bag of Crocosmia, and a flash light. Does she think of everything, or what? LOL!

Jobes plant spikes..to insure some good healthly houseplants!

And stuff to pamper myself with! Sugar Pear shower gel, Sugar Pear Lotion, Sugar Pear Body Butter, Sugar Pear Body Mist. I love the light scent! It smells sooooo good!
    Just when you thought the box couldn't carry anymore, LOL!
    A grooming kit, plus 2 cucumber melon candles! And the box was a gorgeous cheeta animal print along with a cheeta print hand towel! Also, a clay thermometer, potpourri, and a CD she personally 'mixed/burned' all the songs for. Its such relaxing music, I love it!

I hope I didn't forget anything! I'm sooo happy with the box, you really out did yourself, Victoria! Thank you soooo much!

Hugs,

• sassyd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW Deb what a box! V you did a great job as usual girl!
    I can tell ya'll have put alot of thought into your gifts, what a great bunch!

Julie, did you see your shadow?

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Hail no I didn't see my shadow...that would've involved opening my eyes. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ
    {{gwi:1238433}}

• buffy690
    18 years ago

A gardeners mind and skin are very important. I tried to find a bottle of Sunscreen around here but it is too early to find that. Take care of yourself as a whole.
    May that garden angel protect all you plant.
    V

• buffy690
    18 years ago

Off To WOrk
    Have A Nice Day
    Diane get in touch with me tonight IM style

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

BUMP