Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intheforest

NEW: Second Annual Shade Lovers Swap

intheforest
18 years ago

Thanks for looking...

(Formerly twice-the-fun-swap)

This swap was a hit last year and the varieties were fabulous. Hopefully will get traders as good as last year but we'll have a tough act to follow.

Any seeds that can tolerate part shade to full shade are great.

Here are the guidelines:

Deadline for mailing to me will be Jan 31,2006 all seed packets need to besent in by this time.

Please include:

* Return postage -same or more than it took you to mail (Minimum .60 for small and newbies).

* Address Label

* Garden web name

* List of what you sent and also wish list (maybe you'll get a wish or two?)

I will return seeds the 1st week in February

You can send duplicates, but only 2 of the same

seed if they are very common. You will receive the same amount of packets as you send in and any "Bonus" seeds . Anyone wanting to donate "Bonus" seeds please lable them as "Bonus" or separate them and I will distribute them to other swappers or newbies. Newbies should send postage and write newbie on envelope.

FYI -I can only include bonuses if you have adequate return postage to allow-you may want an extra stamp (ex-if it only took you .60 to send. but you sent 22 extra-lightweight pkts)

Happy sowing,

Abbey

please package & lable seeds well

Comments (22)

• sissy1
    18 years ago

I really need some shade seeds, I only have a few so is it ok if I join. Please let me know. Thank you

• lianeny
    18 years ago

Abbey --

This sounds great! I'm working on shady areas of the yard this year, so I've got some interesting things to share.

Count me in!

LianeNY

• intheforest
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Welcome back to this swap again this year sissy! We are up to 3, but need a few more. Come join us - Join the fun.

Abbey

• Melinda Hagen
    18 years ago

I would like to join this. I love shade plants! thanks, Melinda

• lianeny
    18 years ago

Hi Abbey ---

Doesn't anybody else have shade in their yard???

Do we have enough people to do this?

LianeNY

• intheforest
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We are up to 4 if you count me it is 5. I think we have met critical mass as far as I'm concerned, and I am sure others will join as there is still 2 1/2 weeks before the deadline. Last year the seeds were very specialized and unique in selection making it well worth it even if only a couple more join. Shade seeds are so specialized that what people send in tended to be rare and unusual. Plus I have my own rare and unuasual bonuses to add.

The GW problems may have others not logging in as often too. As the problems are dying down, we may get more activity. My email page was moved off the journal page to the normal spot yesterday, so they are fixing things slowly but surely.

It will be a great swap.
    Abbey

• purplefirefly
    18 years ago

My entire front yard is shade so i definitely want in this one! I am a newbie, but do have some seeds and I think some are shade. Can I mark Newbie and send seeds? It won't be much, maybe 1-3 packs.

Also, do you send whole packs in original packing, or can you send some in those little glassine or plastic seed envelopes, well labeled?

Theresa

• bonnie_nmi
    18 years ago

Hi Abbey -

Count me in! I really need shade seeds, and I have some to share as well.

Bonnie

• intheforest
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Welcome Bonnie and Theresa!! Now we are getting there.

I got Bonnie's email but not Teresa's sent to me (even checked my trash file). I guess GW has another glitch-hopefully it is fixed and I don't miss any more. Luckily Bonnies is blocked so I had to come here to respond or I may have been even longer noticing Theresa's post.
    FYI-Anyone posting may want to make sure I got it if you don't hear from me right away. I'll keep a closer eye here though.

Thanks Abbey
    PS-Plenty of time to join yet.

• MargeC
    18 years ago

Hi Abbey, If it isn't too late I would like to join.
    Thanks, Marge

• suebo
    18 years ago

I would love to join. Where do I send the seeds too?
    Thanks,
    Susan

• 33Cat
    18 years ago

I'm starting some shade gardens this year so count me in!

Cat

• jessewo
    18 years ago

Sounds great! Let me check my seed box(es) & see what I've got.

• lianeny
    18 years ago

Hi Abbey --

Are we supposed to have the seeds in the mail by 1/31 or should they reach you by 1/31?

I'm waiting on some commercial seed I'd like to include that hasn't arrived yet....

LianeNY

• pins2006
    18 years ago

I would like to join, but the only shade seeds that I have that I can think of are toad lilies. What are some others so I can get my brain going?

Carmen

• intheforest
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hurry-One week left to join the fun in the shade.
    Abbey

ps-stay tuned for My 3rd Annual Seed Addicts swap in February.

• Melinda Hagen
    18 years ago

For some of you who are fairly new and not sure what grows in the shade just go to the gardenhelper.com site and they have lists of perennials, trees, shrubs, annuals, ground covers, etc to grow for full shade and partial shade. Many some people probably never thought of and can be included in this swap! Thanks, Melinda

• intheforest
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Melinda!

Another good Idea is to check your seed catalogs for the symbols to give you more ideas. Part sun, Part shade, and full shade are all fair game.

Abbey

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Hey, cool! shade is what we have acreas of! I've got some wonderful seeds if I can send small numbers - like 3 kinds of aquilegia with a dozen seeds of each, for example, - and call the 3 mini-packs 1 trade? 3 different foxgloves, each kind individually labelled, 50-100 seeds each? 3 hostas? 3 astilbes? Etc?

If that's ok I can start off some traders with very nice shade seed combos...

What do you think?

I'd love to join; got some unusual seeds...

Barb

• hipahulahadee
    18 years ago

i would really like to join in on this. i am new to your site so if i am not that good, please bear with me. let me know if i do something wrong please.

thanks

jaime

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

My seeds are on their way!

Barb

• MargeC
    18 years ago

I recieved my seeds yesterday. Thanks so much. Marge