Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

NEW: Incredible Edibles February Swap Sunny Side Of Life

southerncharm1
15 years ago

Incredible Edibles Presents: The Sunny Side of Life

This months swap we will be swapping seeds for edibles that make you think of the sunny things in life! :) Some examples are: Sungold tomatoes, yellow Doll watermelons, summer squash, Sunray Peppers, Sunray squash, Sunburst or Sunray beans, Summer Dance cucumbers, etc.

Specifics ((Please read carefully)):

1. Sign ups will be open from January 5th.

2. Sign ups will close on January 26th.

3. Partners will be posted on the 27th. (Will be posted on a new thread)

4. You are required to send atleast 6 packets of seeds. (You may send opened packets but they must be equal to 6 full packets of seeds. You can also decide with your partner if you'd like to send more.)

5. Please send your partner an extra goody that they can use in their garden or in the kitchen. (something inexpensive, can be made by you or bought. :) )

6. Also send a special recipe that reminds you of something sunny or summery. (You can print it or write it out, whichever you choose. )

7. Have your partners packages sent out by the 6th of February.

***If you have any questions about this swap or it's specifics please either post here or email me and I will respond ASAP.

Kathy(SouthernCharm1)

Comments (82)

• dmboles
    15 years ago

Hi, I am new and just signed up ....but would love to join if you still have space.....thank you....dess

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dess-Welcome to the swap, if you have any questions about the specifics please ask. :)

Who's in:
    Christy/Bonechickchris
    Donna/Sunnyk
    Tracy/Acres
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Dirtdiggin
    Nancy/luvgardening2
    Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    Dess/dmboles

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Ok, didn't mean to leave you in suspense with the insurance thing. It two days of calling several times a day to get things straightened out. New insurance cards were issued yesterday. I called the insurance company and had them call the pharmacy to let the pharmacy know that indeed we are covered. DH should be able to pick up his script after work.

Basically, our health insurance company didn't have their act together to get all the people transferred over to their new plans. So things have been held up for two weeks. They were telling people that if it cost under $200 they should pay out of pocket and they will be reimbursed once the insurance company got their act together!!!! Can you hear me screamimg? For the amount we pay for health insurance, we could buy another house. It's not a little town, Mom & Pop insurance company either. This is a nationwide health insurance company! They gave us no heads up about this. Glad he doesn't have a heart condition! DH was actually surprisingly calm about this. This type of stuff makes me crazy!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Got dog to vet - check
    Got insurance straightened out - check
    Signed up for Sunny Side of Life Swap - che....wait a minute! Quick sign me up before something else changes!!!

We are in a cold snap along with a lot of the rest of the country. Today's high is 7 degrees. Tomorrow it'll be 4! I could use some sunshine & warmth!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

ARG~ Insurance! My husband and I have had the same insurance company for ever, and with great coverage,,,,,
    well, this year, the superintendent decided to switch from Horizon, to some unknown company, Integrity, to save money (I think he got some kick backs if you ask me)
    Ok, so we are suppose to have mirror coverage, and we have had nothing but trouble. No one knows the company, so the doctors autimatically say they dont take it. With Horizon, I could go to any doc, and just slap my card down and get in with no co pay. Now, I have to go through a long drawn out process to go to the doc.
    The morning of my surgery, I went ot the same place to get my wheel chair that I did the last time, now with the new insurance, they would not take it. I was almost late for my surgery because I could not find a place to give me a wheel chair!

So to find out, my husband's school system is the 1st customer of this company! And it is owned by the guy who ran for govenor of NJ last go around, who also had been accused of pocketing perscription rebates that were suppose to go back to the people! And now this is our new insurance! This really stinks!

So now, I cannot just go where I want, and get this, the new insurance wants you to print out a ticket online to give to a doctor everytime you go to the doc! So now I have to print tickets to get seen by a doc? WTF? (fudge!)

ANyway, Booberry, I totally understand the frustrationns if insurance, If you ask me, it is all a bunch of bunk! Why should people be able to make money off of other peoples sicknesses? Horrible!

Enough of a rant here! Just sharing my story too! Christy

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Ack ...the cold is wicked...I just keep feeling bad for my poor little Winter Sown seeds shivering out there.
    I must ...keep...thinking... Spring thoughts!!LOL!!

Donna :)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I was listening to this song in the car this morning, from the 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' soundtrack, and after dealing with insurance companies, etc., I thought the words might cheer everyone up ... so here you go:

Sunny Side Of Life

There's a dark and a troubled side of life
    There's a bright and a sunny side, too
    Though we meet with the darkness and strife
    The sunny side we also may view.

Keep on the sunny side always on the sunny side
    Keep on the sunny side of life
    It will help us every day it will brighten all the way
    If we keep on the sunny side of life.

The storm and its fury broke today
    Brushing hopes that we've cherished so dear
    Cloud and storm will in time pass away
    The sun again will shine bright and clear.

Let us breathe with a song of hope each day
    Though the moments be cloudy or fair
    Let us trust in our Saviour away
    He keepeth everyone in his care.

: ) Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YAY! Becky we're so glad to have you join us!!! :) Well this swap will surely shine on everyone! :) lol

Bonnie, that was so sweet of you to share that!! Fits the moment perfectly. :) That's exactly what this swap is supposed to do, brighten everyone up since we're all feeling this cold weather. But... Spring will be were soon! :D

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Lowes & Home Depot both have their seeds in! The bad thing was I stood in front of the racks going. "Have that, have that, have that, no one wants that, have that...." ROFL! Have I turned into a snooty gardener?

• baskettinaa
    15 years ago

Please, let me play, too!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Dont feel bad Becky! I did the same thing! I went to Home Depot and Lowes too! Wnet to Ace Hardware yesterday, and they said they just came in that day, but they still have to be set up (can you tell I have problems!)

But I was saying th esame to myself too, have that, have that, etc etc, and saying, I have that and I am sure that someone else has that too! and yes, noone wants that!

It is too funny! With the tomato swap, just about EVERYONE sent in Yellow Pear and Large Red Cherry! Geez, I hope I can get through this! Christy

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

No Yellow Pear or Large Red Cherry from me LOL...I must be your Sunny ray of hope LOL...Sunny ray...get it ...Sunny?!?!? I crack myself up!!!!

Sorry...it's been one of those days... : S

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Guilty about the red cherries. I can't remember if I sent in Yellow Pears. I did resist buying Yellow Pears at Lowes for this swap (Have that! No one wants that!)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna! ROFL You so funny! :D "Code Sunshine" "Code Sunshine" hahaha

Christy, I think I may have put those in the pack I'm sending, maybe I should dig it out.

Why doesn't anyone like those cute little yellow maters? :D

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I love Yellow Pears (they were available in the cheap seeds out my way last year)! I grew them two years in a row. I love Red Cherries too (especially in the cheap seeds). I grew them a couple years in a row. They're great varieties. I just want to try some different things. 10,000 different varieties of tomatoes and I only have room for 40 or so plants a year!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I would LOVE some Yellow Pear Maters, never grown them, like to try them,,,

AND YES, I did the VERY SAME thing at Lowe's too and was thinking WAY to they carry the same old crap year after year? Don't they know we SAVE seeds and EVERYBODY has these?
    I need variety!

So Chris, what cha gonna do with all those seeds of the same thing? Sned'em back? LOL...
    You could always donate them though! I am sure someone would love to have them.

Good grief, gonna have to pay shipping to get the seeds I need..lol.

Sunny, your too funny....hehe.
    HEY everybody!
    :) Fran

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Okay, now ya'll have me worried. I bought about 10 packs while I was at Lowe's the other day, and a couple of them were for this swap. Now I'm afraid no one will want them, LOL!

I was at Kmart today, and they were stocking the garden aisle, but the seed racks weren't out yet. Target had theirs out, but I thought it was pretty generic stuff. Walmart doesn't have theirs out yet.

At least I have a couple of seed orders that should arrive in time for the swap deadline. When I went through my seed box to pull out things for this swap, and the IH Cupid Swap, I was surprised that I had way more stuff for this swap, than I did for that one, and this was the one that I was worried about when I signed up for both of them! Go figure.

Bonnie

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Bonnie, you shouldn't worry. Chances are that your partner will pick out different seeds even if you did buy them at the same place. Also, I know I've bought seeds for swaps that I would love to get myself. So even if you do wind up swapping the same seeds, chances are they are wanted!

Make sense? Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

(Maybe we should change the name of the swap to the Lowes & Home Depot swap. LOL! Yes, I bought more seeds at Lowes yesterday.)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL Becky!!! If I understand everyone correctly, I think the different regions sell different types of seeds. Maybe? Hopefully? rofl

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

DOnt worry Bonnie! I bought some from the stores too! If they were all that bad, do you think we would all be scoping out the stores in such a crazy manner trying to time the exact day of when the seeds will be put out? Look at me, I was so nuts, I was helping the store worker put up the seed display so I could be the first to get into those seeds! Thank God my husband was not with me that day!!!! Trust me, there may be a few duds in the bunch, but there are good ones too! I actually found some real goodies this year that I never saw on a rack before. I think they are putting out a lot more variety this year, since the economy is so bad, and a lot of people are starting their veggies and flowers from seed to save money.
    Fran, I can send you some yellow pear seeds if you like. Just send me your address. Actually, there are a lot of people who swear by the Yellow Pear tomato. I am sure that is one of the reasons why there are so many seeds given in.

Christy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Christy I would love to try some...I have never eaten a yeller mater.

I think it is priceless that you were helping put that display out, I can just see those guys given each other that LOOK to each other behind your back....ROFLMHO....hehehehe

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

LOL, Fran! I KNOW that look! When I was at Kmart, the guy stocking the garden aisle asked if he could help. When I asked if the seeds were out yet, he said, "No, but they'll be out within the week." Well, it's 20 miles from my house, so after I thanked him, I gave a little irritated sigh and walked off, but I swear I saw him out of the corner of my eye, look at his coworker and give him that SAME LOOK, LOL!!!!

Well, I have to do buy some groceries at Walmart tomorrow. Now you know my cart will veer off to the gardening department, just to see if those seed racks are out yet!

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I guess we are all guilty of Home Depoting LOL...I did some seed shopping there this weekend myself. Any time I go shopping I look for seeds to go into my Incredible Edibles stash. Target had some really good stuff to choose from.

Donna :-)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well, our Wal-mart STILL hasn't put them out yet. I thought k-mart's Burpee and Martha Stewart Seeds were over priced (SORRY Martha!) and Lowe's was too and I don't have a Target :( or a Home Depot here...we are so deprived! I want a Target and Home Depot!!!

I went and purchased 14.00 worth of selected seeds at Lowe's last week FOR a SWAP partner, and when I got home I looked at the packs and started thinking, humm I LIKE you.... I would like to grow you too...ahhhh this one is NICE... so guess WHAT?
    I ended up keeping the darn things! I sent her other stuff! Am I BAD or what?

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I just had a Target open by my house within the last few months or so. I will have to check them out now! I totally did not think to do so! Ohhhh, and I have gift certificate from Christmas for Target,,,,, Now hubby cannot complain!
    What brand seeds do they carry? I am getting excited!Christy

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Christy, I sure am glad I am not the only one. A friend of mine runs a nursery. I was there one day and a HUGE box arrived from Renee's Garden Seeds. I asked if they wanted help putting it up on the rack. They said sure of course and I quickly put the flower seeds on the rack and took my time w/ the Vegetables.

Hmmmmm............. The Lowe's around here does not have their racks up yet. The Home Depot has had 2009 seeds since last November. The K-Mart around here had seeds but they closed the garden area for X-Mas and just opened the doors again. Just Burpee Seeds. The Super Wal-Mart just got the seed racks in. Burpee's too. Not a great selection according to me. I have seen their catalog and was hoping they would have some of the interesting selections but NO. I am about to write them off. I cannot remember what kind of seeds Target sells. I may have to go and check them out tomorrow.

Fran, Do what I do. Buy doubles. You will just need to make extra trips to the store. HA!

Nancy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't know that Target sold seeds! I never thought to look. Well duh! ROFL I'll be making a "special" trip to Target to check it out. I love their clearance too! :D

Helping stock the seeds racks?!?!?! How bad have you got it? ROFL

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Does the Target have seeds other than the usual Burpee? We had a little snow last night and am trying to see if it is worth driving out there today.

OH Nancy, I have to write you in a bit, I finally got that recipe from my mom :) Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a reminder, sign ups are still open for 7 more days! :)

• opie12
    15 years ago

I've been looking here for several days and I have a question about swaps....I have only done one....the tomato swap....I know we could use hand collected seeds for that, but for this swap I am wondering if we are supposed to use all store bought seeds or if we are allowed to use hand collected seeds as well??

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think that would be a problem, What does everyone think?

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I have no problem with it. I usually send a mix of both commercial & collected.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I usually send a mix of Store and home collected as well. I think we have always done it that way :)

And I think the seed brand other than Burpees at Target is called Sean Conway...or something like that.But I wonder if they sell the same brands all over the country or is it a regional thing....hmmmm.....

and

Oooo recipes!! Cook me something good you guys LOL!!

Donna :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I went all the way out to Target and they were not out yet :(
    I tried Walmart too, and they were not out either. I asked someone when they thought they were coming in and he said April! No help there! Geez, I know better when the seeds come in than the people who work there! If seeds came out in April, it would be too late to plant half of them for me! Christy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Christy, my Wal-mart didn't put their seeds out in 2008 until about April, maybe May.....it was REALLY late, so late I didn't think they were gonna have any!

You should call around to see who has seeds before driving there...it is just easier.

Donna I think someone else also said Target carries Sean Conway. There is a post on the winter sowing forum running now with who has seeds in there area. You are posed to post the town, store and area it is in. There are a lot on it now.

Ok, headed to bed, night all or morning which ever.

• opie12
    15 years ago

Ok, well, i've been thinking about this and reading here and I think swaps are so exciting, even though I have only done one....so I guess you can sign me up!!
    Now to find seeds...I seem to be having problems finding places that have the seed racks out.....Wal-Mart, nothing. Home Depot, practically nothing. I've been told that Lowes has some though, even though they are a good drive from me, I may just have to find a reason to make that drive......
    Nice to be joining y'all.
    Melissa

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Melissa and Baskettinaa, glad to have you both join us! :)

Who's in:
    Christy/Bonechickchris
    Donna/Sunnyk
    Tracy/Acres
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Dirtdiggin
    Nancy/luvgardening2
    Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    Dess/dmboles
    Becky/booberry85
    Melissa/Opie12
    baskettinaa

Anyone else? :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Sometimes it is worth just to make out an order than to take a long drive out to get seeds.
    For one, you get a better selection placing an oder than you will ever get at a store,

and second, there are a lot of seed companies that do not charge much for shipping at all, and some that have a flat rate shipping of like $3, which you would probably spend in gas to drive to that store, and it would really stink if you went all the way out there to your store and the seeds were not out yet!

Pine Tree Seeds ( superseeds.com) have awesome prices and all there packs are pretty cheap. Between .95 - 1.65 for most! I do not think I ever paid over $2 for a pack of seeds from them. And when I went to Lowes, all their seeds were over $2, most were $2.79. So sometimes it is even cheaper than the stores, and sometimes seeds ordered from a catalog or online are of a higher quality then ones from your regular stores.
    Baker's Creek has a flat rate of $3 shipping, no matter how many packs you buy ( rareseeds.com)

I am sure others will give you some good places to order seeds from that are not expensive.

Anyway, that was just a suggestion to hopefully make it a little easier and cheaper for you!

Oh and by the way, you do not have to worry about your partner and taking time to order seeds. Most of us have made orders here for the IE swaps, I usually do not even make my orders until after I receive my partner.

Did I cover everything? just trying to make you feel comfortable with us here! We are a nice bunch of folk around here! Christy

Hope that helps Melissa!

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I finally made it to Target. The one closest to my house closed the garden center. I went to another one in the next town. It was not worth the drive. They do carry Sean Conway but they also have Burpee Seeds. I really did not think either had anything special. I walked away empty handed.

I plan on putting an order in. I totally agree with Christy. Way more selection. The only problem I see now is that the seed houses are getting busy and the orders will be taking longer to receive.

Nancy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I just had the seed company Water Sun Together recommended to me recently. They are having a .99 cent sale right now. The seeds on the .99 cent sale are not extraordinary, but lots of good choices. I have not ordered from them. So I can't speak about quickness of delivery or seed germination. I checked on Garden Watchdog. They don't have any bad feedback, but they only have three reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Sun Together

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky I ordered from them when I first started swapping, you have to be careful of the amount of seeds you get in the packages. I found that almost all the packs were opened a bit on the side at the very bottom and seeds were falling out. Other than that their seeds are of good quality and nicely priced. :)

I went to Target yesterday, they have a great clearance rack full of gardening stuff. Unfortunately I didn't see anything that I could/would use or needed. :( I found their seeds too! They had Burpee Fordhook line, and the Sean Conway seeds. I noticed that the selection of Burpee seeds were completely different than the Burpee seeds I have found at Walmart and Lowes. :D YAY! I had the twins with me and they were not letting me look too much, so I only got a few packs, gonna check out a few more places this weekend and see what I can find.

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, I am posting the same post here as I did on the Cupid Swap. I hope Kathy does not beat me! haha!

ooooh, do you think we can get our partners for the cupid and sunny swap a few days early? Like maybe on the weekend? I really really want to put an order in but would like to know who my partners are first. Oh pretty please???????
    Sorry if I sound like a pain! Since this is the busiest time of the year for seed shipping, I wanted to get the orders out asap. I would really like for my partner to get their box BEFORE Valentine's Day, and thought the extra days made up waiting here for partners might help out a bit if we get our partners a few days early.
    I promise I won't beg anymore!Just this once? If everyone agrees, Christy

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Well Christy, She can beat me too. I wanted to ask but did not have the nerve. I have my order on hold at the moment because I wanted to know who I am partnered w/ so I can work their wants into my order. If Kathy agrees, I can join the Cupid's Swap too.

Nancy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm good with getting our partners early both here and for Cupid's Heirlooms. I resisted the temptation to buy a zucchini with a cutesy summer-y name yesterday. It took great restraint!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gawd, I'm only violent when I pull the weeds! ROFL :D

I can post the partners as soon as you all would like. I want to make sure I got everyone down. Ok here is an updated list of who's in...

Who's in:
    Christy/Bonechickchris
    Donna/Sunnyk
    Tracy/Acres
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Dirtdiggin
    Nancy/luvgardening2
    Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    Dess/dmboles
    Becky/booberry85
    Melissa/Opie12
    baskettinaa

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I am okay with an early start as well. I wish even the tomato and seed clean out would start already....I know...I am rushing LOL!! I already have a bunch of seeds ready for the Sunny swap but I always welcome an excuse to order more : )

and hey, why not get the cute-sy summery named zukes?? I love zuchinni ....yum

Donna :-)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Donna, I think I could stop world hunger if I was able to plant all the zucchini & summer squash seeds I have. LOL!

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

As long as you don't move the date up to send out our seeds, than I'm fine with it. I place an order a couple of weeks ago, which has a few things for this swap, and it hasn't arrived yet.

Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

They won't move the send by date Bonnie, only the partner date! I did not even put my order in yet! I want to wait until I find out who my partner is!Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Partners listed at new thread. Link below. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunny Side of Life Swap Partners