Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Feb. Color of the Month Seed Swap - Chocolate

sandlapper_rose
14 years ago

{{gwi:1238566}}

Chocolate Seed Color of the Month Swap for Februarycolor saddlebrown>

I hope no one minds me posting this towards the end of January. I am trying to get the seeds back to you during February - the month with Valentine's Day! If you sign up soon, there should be time to order some seeds if you don't have the appropriate ones on hand.

This month the color is chocolate! Yum. Who can resist chocolate? You may include seeds that contain the word chocolate in the name or plants having chocolate colored leaves, flowers, or fruit, or any plants that are chocolate scented! You can send edible and non-edible seeds. Please do not send anything other than seeds (no plants, bulbs, cuttings, etc.)

Specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both. I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in. Please make sure you are okay with receiving back whatever comes in - within the category "Chocolate" of course!

Do not send invasive plants, noxious weeds, or seeds more than 2 years old.

Please include on the packet label: the name of the seed, information about it, your Garden Web name, and whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected.

The limit to send is 10 packs. Do not send more than 3 packs of any one variety. Anything above these limits will be considered extras and I will try to send back extras to the people who send in extras, but that assumes it will work out. It depends on the varieties that come in. It is possible with "extras" that you may get some of your own packs back.

There is no minimum on the number of packs. You can send in as little as one pack of seeds. As for the number of seeds in the pack, please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable receiving yourself. That may vary depending on the variety. For example, the coleus called 'Chocolate Mint' is a bit more pricey than some other seeds. That may be the case with some other chocolate seeds also. As a general rule, there should be a minimum of 10 seeds per pack.

Sign up by Feb. 10 and have all seeds mailed by the 14th. That will give you about 3 weeks - from now - to order or sort through what seeds you have. Then I can spend the last part of Feb. getting them sorted and mailed back out.

After you sign up here on this thread, please send me an e-mail with your full name, address, GardenWeb name, and your e-mail address. I will reply back to you with my mailing address.

Use a bubble envelope in good condition when you mail to me (it will be used to mail back your new seeds) and include all of the following along with your seeds:

1. Mailing label with your full address on it

2. Stamps equal to what you used to mail plus one extra in case an extra stamp if needed

3. A piece of paper with your GardenWeb name, e-mail address, and a list of what you sent in (so you don't get those seeds back)

Here are a few more examples of seeds to consider for this swap. I'm sure you can come up with many more ideas:

Chili Pepper 'Naga Jolokia Chocolate'

Sunflower 'Claret'

Verbascum 'Copper Rose'

Aquilegia 'Chocolate Soldier'

Cosmidium 'Phillipine'

Chocolate Cherry Tomato

Pepper 'Sweet Chocolate'

Rudbeckia 'Chocolate Orange'

With chocolate actually being brown, you can consider tints, shades and tones that relate to brown, but try to stay within that color category. For example, a buff or beige color or a red-brown will be acceptable. However, do not send something that is pure yellow or orange. If you have any questions, just ask.

I hope we can indulge in lots of chocolate in February!

Jeanne

Comments (49)

• jaynine
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd like to join~thank you!

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

Sign me up.

Don

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I don't have a ton of chocolate stuff, but enough to join in the fun anyway.

A mix of flowers and veggies is fine with me.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MAN CANNOT LIVE BY CHOCOLATE ALONE, BUT IT SURE IS FUN TRYING.

Welcome to the swap highalttransplant, dem_pa, and jaynine! Please, after you sign up here, remember to send an e-mail message to me asking for my address. In it include your full name, mailing address, GardenWeb name, and your e-mail address. I will reply back to you with my mailing address. That will make things easier so I will have the information on file before the seeds come in and will know what is still in the mail.

I am really looking forward to this swap and think we will have a great time!

Also, I guess I should mention that this is only for swappers within the US. I have not been hostess for a "Color of the Month Swap" before, but I have been hostess for some seed swaps and with all the regulations in place for seeds, etc., US only please.
    Thanks!
    Jeanne

P.S. I received an e-mail from Don. Just thought a reminder here on the board didn't hurt so everyone would remember.

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Jeanne,

Sign me up!!

Penny
    (cybermeowz)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to see you want to share your chocolate, Penny. I got your email.

If anyone is interested, I did some browing on the internet and found a game that involves identifying chocolate candy bars. You just try this on your own. If anyone is interested, it is at:
    http://www.thinkingfountain.org/c/crosssection/namethatbar.html
    It's harder than you might think. Maybe we eat those chocolate bars so fast that we don't take a careful look at the ingredients!
    Jeanne

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Hi, Jeanne, count me in. I will send you an e-mail.

Becky

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I will have go go through my seeds to see if I can come up with enough "chocolate" to justify sending in seeds. Would seeds with names containing the words copper or bronze count even if the actual plants are not necessarily those colors? Just wondering...
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I will have go go through my seeds to see if I can come up with enough "chocolate" to justify sending in seeds. Would seeds with names containing the words copper or bronze count even if the actual plants are not necessarily those colors? Just wondering...
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alana,
    I think seed names with copper or bronze will be fine. I hope you find some!
    Jeanne

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Hi Jeanne!

I just wanted to say hi since I have not seen you in a while! How are you????

I am pretty busy with the tomato swap right now to join another swap, but who knows, maybe I will change my mind!

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi! Good to see you! Christy

• ramazz
    14 years ago

I have seen lists for 'chocolate' flowers that include burgundy and deep purple as well. Here is a link to the Chocolate Flower Farm's seed list, if you want a few more examples

Becky.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Flower Farm

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky,
    I have looked at the listing at Chocolate Flower Farm. Everyone can do some "interpretation" on the term "chocolate." I just tried not to go into the purple and red swaps that will take place later in the year with what I listed.
    Okay, since some need a chocolate "fix" here are a few more chocolates:
    Carex 'Milk Chocolate'
    Carex 'Cappuccino'
    Carex 'Toffee Twist'
    Hemerocallis 'Milk Chocolate'
    Heuchera 'Chocolate Veil'
    Heuchera 'Chocolate Ruffles'
    Chocolate Morning Glory
    Aquilegia 'Chocolate Soldier'
    Delphinium 'Chocolate'
    Coleus 'Chocolate Splash'
    Coleus 'Chocolate Drop'

Here's a link to a Hot Chocolate Word Scamble Game that some may enjoy.
    http://cocoajava.com/cocoa_feature_%20hot_chocolate_game.html

Once a few more people sign up I will start a running list of our participants.

Jeanne

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Last year I grew the Berlandiera lyrata/Chocolate Daisy & they are THE MOST chocolate-y smelling flower I've ever smelled! Wish I had some of them to share. I do have some other cool ones to send in, though!

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Jeanne, I understand - I have some stuff that is more black than brown. The Berlandiera lyrata is yellow, as is the chocolate centaurea, but they both smell like chocolate. So where do they go - the yellow swap, because of the color, or the chocolate swap, because of the scent? I am doing the yellow swap, lol, so I would be perfectly happy saving them for that.

Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good question, Becky, and thanks for asking because I'm sure others are wondering, too!
    The chocolate swap includes everything that is brown in color (or very close to brown) and the color can be the fruit, flowers, or foliage --- OR everything that has chocolate in the name even if it is not brown in color --- OR everything that smells like chocolate. So something that is not "brown" in color but smells like chocolate or has chccolate in the name is absolutely fine for this swap.
    All that being said is the long answer to this: your chocolate centaurea and Berlandiera lyrata certainly can be used for this swap. It's up to you!
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Go ahead and sign me up. I had more chocolate than I thought!
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome to all who have signed up. I know we are not even into February yet, but can't wait for the fun to begin.

So far we have:
    sandlapper_rose
    jaynine
    dem_pa
    highalttransplant
    cybermeowz
    ramazz

More gardeners who love chocolate are bound to show up!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Make that...

So far we have:
    sandlapper_rose
    jaynine
    dem_pa
    highalttransplant
    cybermeowz
    ramazz AND
    poisondartfrog

Welcome, Alana!

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

Mine will be mailed tomorrow.

Don

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Will try to mail mine tomorrow, too.

Becky

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

...mailed mine today.
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to several in the swap for letting me know that seeds are on the way. I will let you know when they arrive.

There must be some more "Chocolateers" here on GardenWeb. Come out and join in on the fun. We would love to have you swap with us... and no, it is not too late to join in!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Sent my seeds today!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky,
    I received your seeds today. Can I let the names of some of the seed varieties leak out?
    (--- oh, Color Swappers, you are going to want these: Milk Chocolate Foxglove and Penstemon Chocolate Drop.... and .... ????)
    Now I need to keep some suspense in the group so that's all I will tell.

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received seeds from Don and Alana today. Thanks to both of you for the great seeds that you contrubuted to the swap. Maybe after everyone receives I should post a list of the interesting varieties that people thought to include.

Here's where we are:

sandlapper_rose - Mine, of course, are here
    jaynine
    dem_pa - received
    highalttransplant
    cybermeowz
    ramazz - received
    poisondartfrog - received

If anyone is just finding us, there is still time to sign up. The cut off is Feb. 10 and then to get your seeds mailed by the 14th. (Actually that is a Sunday so until Mon. the 15th.)

Yum... more chocolate. Sure makes my walk to the mailbox a nice one even today when it is cool and rainy!

Jeanne

• barefootgardner12
    14 years ago

I would like to join!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, barefootgardner12. Happy to have you share some chocolate with us!

Jaynine, your seeds arrived today. Lots of great ones in this envelope, too, so I think everyone will be very happy with with comes back to them.

Have a good weekend.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

My pathetic little envelope went in the mail today. I'm a bit embarrassed by my tiny contribution. I love the color chocolate, so maybe that's why their wasn't much in the seed box ... those were the seeds I actually used!

Bonnie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie,
    Don't you worry a bit about what you sent. It will be appreciated and maybe we can build up your stash of chocolate a bit!

Here is what I have for our status on the swap.
    Seeds on their way or received:
    sandlapper_rose - Mine, of course, are here
    jaynine - received
    dem_pa - received
    highalttransplant - mailed
    cybermeowz
    ramazz - received
    poisondartfrog - received
    barefootgardner12

It is so much fun to have this swap in conjunction with Valentine's Day!
    Jeanne

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Jeanne,

My seeds will be in the mail tomorrow. I was waiting for an order to get here that had a few "Chocolates" in it and it came today. I just got done putting together my package. Can't wait to see the seeds from this one!!

Penny

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

{{gwi:1238572}}

I received seeds from cybermeowz yesterday. Great selection! As soon as all the seeds are here I will redistribute them and get them in the mail.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hadn't noticed that today is President's Day so no one will be mailing today and I won't receive any packets either. Barefootgardner12, please let me know if you have mailed or will be mailing out soon. Highalttransplant posted that she mailed so once those two envelopes get here, I will start the sorting process.
    I'm not trying to be pushy or concerned. I just don't want to leave anyone out if the seeds are on their way!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just sort of a quick update on where we are with this swap. I am still waiting for seeds from barefootgardner12 and highalttransplant. I got confirmation from highalttransplant that she mailed the seeds and it just seems to be taking a long time, so I will give them a bit longer. I have not gotten confirmation back from barefootgardner12, so if you are reading this, please let me know if you are still participating. Anyone else?
    My plan now is to wait until Feb. 27 (or until highalttransplant's seeds arrive), whichever come first - and then I will mail out ASAP.
    This is taking about a week longer than I anticipated but with the crazy weather we have had, I guess the postal service may have slowed down a little. LOL
    Thanks again to all who are particpating. This is a fun swap!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, sorry to move the mail out date up a little. I need to go into town on Thursday so I plan to mail then. I never heard back from barefootgardner12 so I am thinking something must have come up and she couldn't participate. I am hoping that highalttranplant's seeds may arrive by tomorrow. I think they were mailed out about 12 days ago and the mail has already been delivered today and no sign of them. If they don't come on time for this swap, I am really sorry and will offer your choice that I return them to you or we do a trade from what I have on hand.
    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am going to wrap this up soon so everyone can start planting. I am in SC so if I don't winter sow more seeds soon, there won't have any more winter to sow in! LOL
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No chocolate seeds arrived today either. Whatever way highalttransplant's seeds took to go to South Carolina, it was definitely the long way around - maybe by way of Belgium to pick uo some special chocolate candy. LOL
    So sorry the mail is being so slow with your seeds, but I will contact you and see what you would like to do when (if?) they arrive. I know it is aggravating when you send and this happens.
    The others will be ready to go tomorrow so let me know when you receive them and I sure hope everyone likes what they get.
    I will be back to be hostess for December so when you see SILVER and GOLD keep those seeds in mind for that color swap later in the year. Gee, maybe we could have even used that theme this month with the Olympics going on. I love the Olympics! We did have some seeds that were Bronze in the Chocolate seeds so we took care of that one.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The chocolate seeds that were received were all swapped out and mailed as of this morning!
    Jeanne

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

No worries, Jeanne. I didn't send in a lot, but I am sorry that it didn't arrive on time. I recently received a bubble envelope full of seeds that was mailed 5 weeks earlier, so I'm beginning to wonder what's going on at my local post office! I guess I'll have to start paying the extra for delivery confirmation, just so I can see where these packages are really going.

If they ever show up, you can keep what you want, and send the rest back if you like.

Bonnie

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds at noon today. Thanks to all who shared their seeds. Thanks to a great hostess. Some of these seeds will be winter sown this afternoon.

Don (dem_pa)

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Jeanne, I received my seeds today. Some have already been wintersown and some put aside for later. Thanks for a great swap! Chocolate isn't the easiest color but you sent some great seeds.

Becky

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Jeanne,
    I received my seeds in the mail today. Yeah! Thanks for the fantastic seeds. I'm building a chocolate themed bed this year and I'm so excited to see all of these Chocolate Seeds!! And with all those chocolate/black tomatoes I sent you for extras, I can't believe you found a new black tomato for me. Awesome!! (I really love the black tomatoes!) You shouldn't have worried about this swap because you did a great job. Hopefully, Bonnie's seeds will show up eventually.

Thanks so much for hosting,
    Penny

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody~my seeds came Saturday. Great job, Jeanne! I'm so happy with the seeds I got!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad the seeds are arriving back home just fine and that you like them. It was such a small group trading that it was easy -- I just worried a bit about whether there would be enough variety to swap things around so you would get things you didn't already have.
    I will try to trade a time or two before then, but will definitely be back to post the December Color(s) Seed Swap. (I like the color pink - just need to try to sort through my seed boxes and see what has already been planted, mailed off in a trade, etc. I have been busy with both activities lately.)
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

The chocolate seeds I received were delicious! I was pleasantly surprised with the uncommon selection.
    Thank you!
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie,
    Your seeds arrived today!!! The envelope shows no signs of having gone anywhere other than from your house to mine and he it took almost a month. I am just glad they didn't totally disappear. I will be happy to trade with you since the other seeds have already gone to their new homes. I will check through your want and have list and see what may work out okay for you If you simply want these back again, that is okay, too. We'll discuss it by e-mail.
    Anyway, even if they were slow to get here, they did get here and that's good --- just so odd for anything to take that long!
    The mystery is solved!
    Jeanne

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Whew, that's a relief! I was afraid you guys would think I was lying about dropping them in the mail, LOL!

Jeanne, it's completely up to you. If there were things in there you can use great, if not, you can either pass them on to someone else or send them back. I'm fine either way.

Bonnie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie -
    I mailed your seeds today. When I had them weighed at the post office, the postal clerk told me that there was a bar code across the bottom - I never saw it so I don't think it was too obvious - and he said that bar code would be picked up rather than the zip code if it stayed on there so he scratched through it with something that looked like a thick black crayon. He said it did no good to cross it off with a marker - that the equipment would read right through the marker. Anyway, I am posting all this because I wonder if that is why your envelope took nearly a month to get here. I know lots of us reuse envelopes so I thought I would pass this along. If you see a bar code, cover it with a label or cover it completely by using a black crayon or china marker (postal employee said that --- I don't even know what a china marker is...LOL)
    I hope you like the seeds, Bonnie, and now that they are mailed, this swap is complete!
    Thanks to all who joined in.
    Jeanne

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I did reuse an envelope, so I bet that was it! Thank you for that information. I'll be sure to check that next time, and I'm sorry for the aggravation that caused.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

The seeds arrived yesterday. Thank you so much, Jeanne, for the nice selection you sent. It wasn't your fault that my envelope got delayed, and I appreciate that you went out of your way to make sure I received something back.

You are a sweetie!

Bonnie