Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

new: mnf: february round robin

diene
15 years ago

Hello All;

Since Linda has picked her partners, I thought I would post this announcement of the February Swap. This is going to be a true round robin which is how this whole thread began but has altered to be group swaps. A true round robin is a single package that circulates among the entire group. Of course, there were a lot less people back then.

I do hate to limit a round robin, especially a Make New Friends one but this requires a limit in order to accomplish this in a month. I am setting the limit at a dozen people but if there is a tremendous amount of interest, I will do two boxes.

The box will arrive at your house when it is supposed to and you will be able to take anything out of the box you want. You must at least replace anything you remove with something similar, ie a seed pack for a seed pack, bulb for bulb, health and beauty product for something along the same lines (do not have to duplicate), garden decoration for garden decoration, well I guess you get the idea.

The box will also tell you where it needs to go next, it must be back on itÂs way within 24 hours in order for this to work and you need to post what you took from the box. Do not post what you put in the box. At the end of the round robin, the box returns to me.

It is kind of like the telephone game only with a GW box. It is lots of fun but does require a bit of a commitment.

Post here if you would like to join and e-mail me your address.

Any questions, post here as I may not have explained it well and others may have the same question. Let the fun begin

Thanks.

diene

Comments (150)

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

That was a good selection.

I am excited I did realize the box was flying already. yeah.

I have been doing the same thing as herblover going through my mags and trying to decide what to actually purchase.

I am trying to keep it to things I know I need and probably won't get in time for spring I know I need some potatoe sets and onion sets for my garden and have been considering ordering them but you all know that once you start an order it takes on a life of its own. (At least I hope Im not the only one that happens to)

Anyway I am glad I got in at the last min. but sorry Fran had to drop this one. I know she is getting ready to get a box from me in the day or two so hopefully that helps.

Good Luck on your finds everyone :-)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

once you start an order it takes on a life of its own. (At least I hope Im not the only one that happens to)

OHHH MY GOODNESS...I'm so glad I'm not alone. I access an online catalog or even a physical catalog...and my list ends up going from one or two items to 50. Then when they come in I lose half of my choices to "I want that one and that one and that one..." My son is just getting his feet wet into the wish lists and "wooohooo I can ask for those???" Hey that's not supposed to happen until he moves out and plants his own garden lol....I love seeing him get so excited about gardening. And I have to say, when he heard how old Kamil was, he said, "Hey I wanna do that too!" He's already volunteered to harvest the low to the ground stuff like bush beans, so the purple bush beans are in :)

Just so you all know...the box was PACKED and it's a large flat rate!!! Dieni went all out to fill this puppy to the brim!! I only took out a small little part of it so the next person can have a little of what she sent. Theres a WHOLE LOTTA CHOICES IN THERE!!! Can't wait to read the next person's choices :)

I'm sorry am I getting you all excited?? I hope so, cause this was so much fun!!! :) And the excitement was so cool!

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I got the box!! It first threw me for a loop! There were so many things in there , I thought it was a practical joke on me, like 'now who's making fun of my little box that I just sent out?' This one is huge!!! And then I remembered, but there are two RR I signed up for! First I didn't know what to do with the box, I showed it to DS and DH, they looked at what was inside carefully, I went and wintersowed a few seeds, and came back with enough oomph to take things out of the box and lay them out carefully less I was required to put the whole things back together again. The return address is Dienne's address, surely this is not a second package for our parnership in the last swap, if it is , I'll ring her neck for going into so much trouble again, that was not the deal!Huumm...Oh! I see some envelopes with names like hazelnut bunny, Mark... did they go together to send me a care package thinking someone died in our family or something?
    Then I saw 'Chris' on the envelope , 'hummm, maybe that's for me (mind you , I go by the name of "Kilene" (Key Len-emphasis equal in both syllable) I only use my formal name on legal documents, though I thought it easier for our GW people to deal with Christine rather than Kilène, anyway I took a chance and opened the sealed envelope, it only had the name of another person on a slip of paper and an address. Humm, That must be where I should mail this box next.(Helps to have read Dienne's post before the fact)
    By now I was pretty sure it was the famous box for the MNF Feb R&R, so I started enjoying looking at all the things that were sent...
    What should I keep? I'll keep the sand dollars for my plants, they'll be happy and the outgoing package will be sandless...(there was just a little bit starting to come out)...the 2 hyacinth mix bulbs for sure...and the 4 pink impression tulip bulbs yeah!... and ... what are these? Seeds ?... SEEDS!!! YEEES!
    I'm keeping 2 Allium,Pilea,Siberian iris, columbine, monkshood,yellow marguerite,Fuschia Astible,Ligularia dentata Othello,and the red bee balm for me!
    Now what to put in the box in return??? Well, I'll put in a sh... Oh wait, we're not supposed to tell! I'll mail it tomorrow, can't quite make it today, the little one is sick. Chris

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

WOW!!! This is just gonna be sooooooooo KEWL! You two got some great things! This is more fun than tracking Santa on Christmas Eve!
    Where Oh Where Will The Boxes Show Up Next???

• tansy_mi_zn5
    15 years ago

Ooooo....I can't wait!! Sounds like a wonderful robin!!

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well you are all doing a pretty good job keeping things a secret but there were a few little hints sent out. No big deal. I am glad that the boxes arrived. According to the PO, they were there yesterday but ...
    As far as DC's do not post but if you are sending to someone who has a PO box, please contact them on the day the box supposedly arrives. That should keep these moving nicely.
    I am pleased that the first two people were able to find stuff they liked in the boxes, I always worry that people will not like my choices.
    This is fun for me because I know where the boxes are heading next and next and next...
    I am enjoying this immensely (sp?)
    I also cannot order anything on line because I get carried away.
    I spent $20 on commercial seeds yesterday at a half price sale and then received a wonderful envelope full of herb seeds today.
    What fun.
    diene

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

diene- Sorry, I thought you received my email. We live on an island and all residential mail goes to one PO Box. It is then distributed the following day when it comes across on the barge. So we usually have an added day for receiving. Outgoing mail is normal.

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

The package was sent today afterall! My son came home 30 minutes before the poste office closed, So I rushed the package and mailed it Priority Mail
    Delivery Confirmation #0308 2040 0001 2987 6945.Enjoy! Chris

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How exciting that one box is on the move again. That should help us get this done in a month (even a short one). thanks Chris.
    dirtdiggin, I think I did know that which is one of the reasons I started with you.
    We are doing okay if you can get it out today.
    Thanks.
    diene

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Oooo I got excited today. I got a big box in the mail. But when I opened it, it was fruit. I got a fruit basket. Now normally I would be excited I like fruit. However I THOUGHT it might be 'The Box' so it dimmed my excitement over the fruit. Well I was not expecting anything else but my dad sent it to me. Yeah fruit.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Package went out first thing this morning...it's on its way to the next lucky person :) who will it be????

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

LOL greenthumb that's too funny! awww .. lol

~Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Looking to see where the boxes will show up next!
    -Bump

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Dan the cat is beautiful. Looks almost like the cat i had when I lived with my mom his name was silk - because he was sooo silky sooth and soft.

Shhhh... Bump - Come on you can tell meeee. Wheres the box going? Shhh....

Tammy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Diene ~ I'm sure you already know of Melissa/Bunny's situation, just wanted to make a comment as well tho that she might need to be bumped far down the list if she's anywhere near the top... at least til she gets power back, etc. Just a thought!

~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Good thought sassy. I didn't think of that but a swap maynot be at the top of her to do list at the moment.

Tam

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I understand about HNB but did not when the boxes were sent so we may have an issue as she was second and the box is enroute to her now. I think I will give it a day and if we do not hear from her, I will put together another box and continue the rotation. By the time I realized it would impact this robin, it was too late.
    Sorry.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Rub my belly, and I'll tell you where the boxes are going next!
    -Bump

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

RUB RUB! Where are they going?

Kamil

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Diene, when I call her this evening, I'll leave myself a note to ask her about the Feb box, if you like?

Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

One of the boxes should be just about....there! I'm tracking them both with Google Earth!
    -Stella

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

RUB RUB! Where are they going?

Kamil

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Evening All;
    Believe it or not HNB not only received the box but shipped it back out again. I do not know what she took or what she added but she kept it moving. What a trooper!! Thanks to Kathy for getting that info for us so I would say that box is moving well and should have no trouble making it home for the deadline.
    I decided that I would send a reward to every member of the team that first returns their box.
    That is the game now!!
    diene

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Wow.. way to go Bunny! lol

~Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

*bump..

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

***looking for the boxes, wondering where they will land next***

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I know I can't wait. I keep looking in the mail... where are theyyyy hellllo.

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

wimper... wimper.... not here....

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"beating back the bushes and getting snow dumped on me"..not here either!

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    one box is moving right along but the second seems to be in PO limbo. While I can empathize, I am still rewarding the winners. I found the perfect prizes today!!
    I found a great deal on spring bulbs, so good that I bought way too many (23 bags). I have planted the ones I am keeping in pots for this year so I can keep them alive (we still have two or more feet of snow.
    I also spent some time yesterday starting some herbs that a wonderfully generous gardener from one of my other sites sent me. I am so excited with the selection she sent.
    Aren't gardeners wonderful!!
    Hope everyone is well.
    diene

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Wow! 23 bags! thats alot!

Kamil

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Come on group... Which ever i'm in??? Hurry and get that box. hehe

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I just checked again and the PO is really not helping this stay on track and it is also lagging so much that it is hard to pay attention.
    One box did land today so maybe we will hear something this evening.
    diene

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Nothing. Nada. Empty mailbox again.....

• tansy_mi_zn5
    15 years ago

no birdie here...;-( I even checked the mail twice!

• herb_lover_grower
    15 years ago

Hi guys I received the box today and it will be out tomorrow. I was so excited because my husband was expecting a different box, so we were both rushing to the door to find out who's box it was. I won LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!

WELL HAVE FUN WITH IT.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1238719}}

Where, oh where, are you boxes tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone?

I searched the country over and I thought I'd found my box.

But you went another way and PTHHP! you was gone.

You took out your seed bags, your bulbs and your goodies.

You were just scattered all over the place.

I wanted to plant you and grow you so mightily.

I guess that I would have if you'd found my place.

I looked in the mailbox at three in the morning.

Then again at noon but you just weren't there.

You would not have scared me and I'd not have run so,

If only you had been here and not elsewhere.

I told you, my darlin', you looked like you were wrecked.

Made you so mad, you haven't spoke since.

But tell me my darling if Linda or Mark had fixed you up

Why would you have arrived postage due ninteen cents?

When I finally picked you up out of my mailbox.

You looked so pretty in tape and your postage stamps.

But when I bent over and started to kiss you,

You weighed so much you gave me the cramps!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

LOL Dan ur such a nut! :)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"spitting tea all over my screen"....geez Dan, you shoulda warned me!!,,,"LOLOL"

• diene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to hear that at least one box is progressing. I am hoping the other one will resurface today also and get moving. We still do not know what HNB put in or took out but I guess we can wait to hear about that when she is back online.
    What a wonderful imagination you have Dan, what is the tune for your little ditty? It was really fun, thanks.
    diene

• wynative
    15 years ago

One box is back on the road again! It was hard to decide what to keep as I wanted it all but I kept some tulip bulbs that I am going to force to help with the winter blues, 3 packages of flower seeds and 2 packages of veggie seeds.

I added to it and now it is a waiting game to see who gets it next :)

Marie

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Diene, the original is the song from the show Hee-Haw, "Where Oh Where Are You Tonight?".

Marie, you can tell us where that box is going next if you want to, we promise to not tell Diene, don't we gang? hehehe Come on, you know you want to...

• herb_lover_grower
    15 years ago

Well I just want to say I mail the box off today and I go a confirmation on it as well. So the lucky person has lots to look forward to.

I got out 3 herb seeds, 4 flower seeds and 3 vegetable seed. I put back in lots of seeds and some very wonderfull goodies.

I must say that when I open the box there was a candle with a lamp shade over it, came broken so I took it out and threw it away. OH Well it was a beauty too.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Cool! Both boxes are on the road again! Hit it, Willie, and sing us a song...!

On the road again
    Just can't wait to get on the road again
    The life I love is plantin' seeds with my friends
    And I can't wait to get on the road again
    On the road again
    Goin' places that I've never been
    Seein' things that I may never see again,
    And I can't wait to get on the road again.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

lol Dan! You crack me up! The HeeHaw song takes me back WOW!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I'm thinking Minnie Pearl was secretly an avid gardener.. remember all those flowers on her straw hat w/ the tag always hangin' off it? :) Are we dating ourselves here? lol sheeeesh

I keep listening for the mailman to drive by.. hoping... :)

Hugs,
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I know me too. I was outside today (it was bbbbeeeauttiful out) and the mail truck went by and and and and kept going.. :-( Oh well maybe tomorrow.

Tammy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Today has been the BESTEST day ever!! I finally had enough extra $$ to go buy the soil and amendments I need to do my WS'ing. Then my grandmother asked me to go w/ her and my aunt to Costco to p/u the items for a reunion this wkend. They always have me cook most everything. I suppose that's a compliment! lol Meanwhile she kept offering to buy me this n that and ended up buying me almost $100 worth of groceries (what a HUGE blessing right now!!) Then I was browsing some cookbooks and found a FANTASTIC huge cookbook on baking homemade bread and alllll kinds of bakery items. I planned to buy it myself, and she insisted on buying that too, then asked if I was going to use a bread machine to make the bread, I said no, gonna do it the old fashioned way! We don't own one. She says well, you do now. She got one for Christmas and didn't want it so it's brand spanking new! WOOHOOOOOO!!! THEN she handed me $100 to go towards a $350 tire purchase I'm saving to make. This day was better than Christmas!! lol

THEN I got home and the mailman knocked on my door with the RR box!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! I've got to run now to p/u kids from school tho I'm dying to get my hands into it! I'll post again this eve w/ an update of what goodies I decided I couldn't live w/out! :)

Oh.. and I gotta brag.. it's 67degrees and SUNNY today!!

~Happy me

• tansy_mi_zn5
    15 years ago

YAY for me!!!! Guess what I got today? I have already looked once in it & I'm guessing, I'll play some more before deciding what I want. There is quite a few things I want...I'll post later with my treasures I'm keeping. Way way way better than Christmas!!! Diene...did you put the sand dollars in there? They are soo pretty, & I have never seen any like those. Where did they come from?

Traci

p.s. I know who's getting the box next...lol

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

That's great Wendy!! Happy day for you :)

It's been a mess here with a PC crash yesterday AM and I had to completely reformat my PC :( But it's sunny!!! YAYY!!! lol And the PC is working GREAT now, so little blessings in disguise :)