Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilngod

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

kilngod
13 years ago

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 12 PACKS OF SEEDS***

(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:

--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)

--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14; can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:

--make sure your email address shows on your member page (see link below)

--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)

--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:

--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.

--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

--to make things go bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.

--POST HERE FIRST and announce who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.

--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:

--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)

--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/

Use the...

Comments (150)

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi! Emailing mintygreen with adoption proposal :)
    vina

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK - Sorry about the lagtime folks. I was away at a conference and then trying to catch up at work. Here's the big updated list. I think I've gotten everyone in the right lists, but please post if I've put someone in the wrong spot. And Zeedman's a good egg - He'll be back to adopt someone else soon!

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

azimuth zone unk 5?, MA (interests: veggies, herbs)
    fyrcrose zone 6 TN, Nashville (interests: homesteading, veggies)** no reply yet
    BogGardner zone 6 TN (interests: veggies, herbs, flowers)
    Paperfinch zone 6b TN (interests: veggies, herbs, a gardening woman)
    cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (interests: heirloom garden, edibles, raw foodist)

Current Newbies with member page / email addy fixes needed:
    miafolks2011 6 springfield mass (interests: veggies, fruits)

Adoptions in-process or completed:

mintygreen zone 5 IA (flowergirl34)
    bette_wi zone 3 N. WI (soilent_green)
    bobanda 6 (poisondartfrog)
    hannah 5 south IN (ishareflowers)
    ctcfo 6b - Southwest CT (kms4me)
    kvenkat zone 5a Dever, Co (aquawise)
    sumwhare 7A (beth_b_kodiak)
    rhashell zone 5 southeast in (jessicavanderhoff)
    GretchensGarden 9a/Houston, TX (naturegirl236)
    gardengimp zone 9B Florida (dcj24)
    downsouthdavid 7 south (hostarookie)
    Chris_NH_4 z 4/3 NH (flowergirl34)
    dciolek zone 5B OH (naturegirl_2007)
    SCPearson 5 NE CT & zone 6 SE MA (kms4me)
    tempusflits 5 WestCentral IL (rbrady)
    BogGardner 6 MA (flowergirl34)
    citygirlseeds zone 9 (canyonwind)
    efd123 zone 6/7 MA (ishareflowers)
    GardenCochin zone 6 VA (dem_pa)
    Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind)
    lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow)
    mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow)
    morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236)
    bizarrogir zone 10/Sunset 22 Southern CA (cryptid)
    Scratchits zone 8 OR (canyonwind)
    NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (ishareflowers)
    azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (beth_b_kodiak)
    wjarvie zone unk Wyoming (skybird)
    sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (aquawise)
    celeegra z6 NYC (ishareflowers)
    nuttnhunee z5a (smitties)
    sundog2010 zone 5a WI (elvis)
    bhscarlett (aquawise)
    jshipway zone 6 MD (beth_b_kodiak)
    Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (alwaysagarden)
    wren1 zone 5, Central IL (smitties)
    HoHumHollow zone 6A RI (dem_pa)
    BeesNeeds zone 5 deep SW MI (dem_pa)
    wrenhouse10 zone 5 (diene)
    ckap zone 9a TX (piksi_hk)

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK - Sorry about the lagtime folks. I was away at a conference and then trying to catch up at work. Here's the big updated list. I think I've gotten everyone in the right lists, but please post if I've put someone in the wrong spot. And Zeedman's a good egg - He'll be back to adopt someone else soon!

azimuth zone unk 5?, MA (interests: veggies, herbs)
    cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (interests: heirloom garden, edibles, raw foodist)

Current Newbies with member page / email addy fixes needed:

bhscarlett (aquawise)

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

I'm emailing cantwait2garden about adoption.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Mintygreen emailed me back. So consider her adopted :)
    Thanks!
    vina

• PaperFinch
    13 years ago

I'd still love to be adopted. I am mostly looking for heirloom (biodynamic would be awesome!) veggies, herbs and unusual flowers. I'd also love any advice from a seasoned gardener who is familiar with this climate zone 6b, since I grew up in zone 5a. So excited to dig in the dirt again! :D

• miafolks2011
    13 years ago

hi sorry about the email fixed it

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

About a week ago I was joking about an Auntie or Uncle for sumwhare.
    Now, I really would love to find one for him.
    I did send seeds, but, he needs more shade oriented things than I had in my collection.
    If someone could be Auntie, Uncle or even Big Brother and send him a couple packs of seed for shade plants, I'll send stamps and owe you a big favor.
    KilnGod, I hope this is OK. I know it is not the normal routine. I stuck my foot in my mouth this time. Sorry.
    BB

• rbrady
    13 years ago

Hey BB, I can be an "Auntie" for sumwhare-I have some shade type seeds to share:-)

Rhonda

• azimuth
    13 years ago

Hope to be adopted.
    Thanks girls!

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Yay! Got my seeds today from aquawise.
    THANK YOU!!

• K Andreas
    13 years ago

Beth , Rhonda,

Regardless of what either of you send me, I'd be happy with anything.. You've both seen pictures of the full shade on my property. I'm sure I'll be able to grow your seeds somewhere.

• dbannie04
    13 years ago

Hi! While I'm not new to Gardenweb, I am new to gardening/seed exchanges. I joined a while back to get advice on starting tomato seeds, and just recently rediscovered how awesome and info rich the site is! I would LOVE to be adopted/tutored by someone much wiser and experienced than myself!!

Due to a major drainage problem at my house, we recently excavated the entire back yard, so I have a clean slate that needs some cool plants! I live in north east Texas. The summers can be pretty hot and dry, but while we were digging we installed a sprinkler system--Yay!! Most of the yard is sunny but I have a few places that get morning sun and afternoon shade. We recently planted several oak trees, so hopefully we will start getting more shade.
    My main interests are flowering shrubs/plants, tomatoes and veggies, and anything that attracts humming birds and butterflies. I would also love any milkweed for the monarchs! But really, I'm not picky! Thank you for organizing this--it is AWESOME!

Aly

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Aly...just sent you an email via GW.

Annie

• miafolks2011
    13 years ago

ID LOVE TO BE ADOPTED THANKS

• azimuth
    13 years ago

Hope to be adopted.
    Thanks girls!

• ketara
    13 years ago

Better late than never...rec'd a GENEROUS package from hostarookie...Em, you rock! Thank you so very much!!!!!

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

I have been in contact with dbannie04...aka Aly. She is now adopted!

Annie

• Willie_Dean
    13 years ago

Hello, I have been gardening on and off for app. 40 years. I am now in a wheelchair (amputee) and I am starting my first raise bed garden. it is a small thing (4' x 12' x 12") filled with bagged top soil. I would love to be included in your newbie adoption. I love veggies and fruits. Thank you for your consideration. Dean

• azimuth
    13 years ago

Red'd two amazing packages from naturegirl and BB. Thanks soo much girls!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi! I received mintygreen's bubblie and mailed it back out to her yesterday :) Just waiting for her to receive.

In the meantime...I can adopt someone else :)

Thanks!
    vina

• beautifulreddahlias
    13 years ago

Hello All!
    I am Fairly new to GW I joined last fall, but I am not new to seeds growing! I would love to adopt a newbie and share my extras and advice to someone looking to try growing from seed. I am in Zone 6a.
    So if anyone is looking to be adopted I'd love to share my seeds!!!
    Nina

• downsouthdavid
    13 years ago

I recieved my seeds my seeds from hostarookie. Consider this adoption compleat!

• Bette_WI
    13 years ago

Hi all, Received my bubble mailer today from soilent_green. WOW is all I can say, The seeds came beautifully packaged up and labeled very nicely. I hope I can do them justice by having them grow well for me. My adoption is completed. Thanks Tom, Bette

• soilent_green
    13 years ago

As Bette (bette_wi) stated - she received her seeds and the adoption is completed. It was a pleasant experience for me, hopefully was for her as well.
    -Tom (soilent_green)

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Announcements

Newbies:
    Please do not post multiple times. You are on the list the first time. Multiple times just makes more work for me.

Make sure that your email shows to members.

No double-adopting please
    Beth , Rhonda -- I originally typed here "no worries" but now it looks like the idea caught-n-slid somewhere else. We'll refrain from double adopting. More below.

Veterans & Newbies: This adopt is not to solve all of the newbie's garden woes, just get them started nicely. Hopefully this welcomes them well, prompts them to become part of the community, helps their feedback rating, and they continue trading. Veterans, spread the love around. Newbies, have fun with what you receive, and look into trading on the other forums if you have additional seed needs.

Post/announce adoptions here first
    Veterans -- remember that you must post here first that you are adopting someone. This is for the newbie's safety. And so that we know someone is adopted. Additionally, if Azimuth hadn't posted, he would have stayed on the list, and potentially could have 14 people adopting him (if they didn't post) while 8 people stayed on the list unadopted. :) And when you post the adopt, I see the veteran's real screenname instead of a newbie posting the real name/ variant and I'm hunting all over trying to figure out who it was that adopted. Thanks much! :)

beautifulreddahlias -- just claim someone from the list and post that you are doing so.

*****Have fun, folks!*****

Willie_Dean 7 North Carolina (veggies & fruits)

azimuth zone 5 or 7 New england (naturegirl236 ? / beth_b_kodiak ?)
    dbannie04 8 TX (canyonwind)
    cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (naturegirl236)

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

(You can always just take duplicate adoptions "off thread", as it's a free forum, eh? Do so at your own risks, and please take into account the things I noted above. Thank you!)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

I mailed Hannah's seeds about a week ago...haven't heard from her yet!

I'm looking for a zone 5 or 6 FLOWER gardener. I have a HUGE package and only want to do one person. I am tired of playing with seeds....lol

Kilngod (Tina), if one signs up please send her my way.

Lisa

• mintygreen
    13 years ago

Received my seed packet in the mail today from flowergirl34. Thank you so much!! My garden will be overflowing this year :) Thanks again Vina, ~Jess

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Jess for letting me know :) Happy Sowing!

I've been going through my seed stash this weekend and have some extra veggie's and herbs. I'm emailing paperfinch and see if she'd like to be adopted.

Thanks!
    vina

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

I never did hear back from cantwait2garden about adoption and I don't see any other posts from them other than those on this thread. I'm guessing they stopped in for a few days and haven't been back since...

Azimuth had contacted me after I posted a thread on the Seed Exchange page and I suggested he check out this thread. We ended up working out a for postage deal, hence the thank you posted here but no offer to adopt post from me. :)

• elaforet
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a newbie. I have a small sunny garden. I love flowers, I've managed to misplace a my herb seeds from last year. I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who adopted me! if you're interested please get in touch!
    Thanks,
    Elspeth

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi!

Paperfinch has been adopted.

I'll also be emailing Elspeth (elafloret), we are doing a trade right now and I'd be happy to adopt her too.

Thanks!
    vina

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

dbannie04 (Aly)...I sent you a response to your email last week. I have not heard back....need your address.

Annie

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi!

Elspeth emailed me back and is adopted.

Thanks!
    vina

• shoestring
    13 years ago

Hi I am new to the garden web and I only have a small amount of things to trade, and only a few seeds of them. I however live in the country and have access to alot of different seedlings if you might be interested in them.
    I love flowers and have just moved. I cannot afford to buy alot of flowers,so, my sister suggested I join the Gardenweb and make new friends to help fill up my bed and have fun doing it. I only learned how to use the computer acouple months ago.It turns out it is not as hard as I thought it would be after all.

Thanks for having me,
    Shoestring

• hannah
    13 years ago

Hey just wanted to let everyone know I recieved the most wonderful supply of seeds from ishareflowers! She mailed more than I ever thought I would get, so generous! I really appreciate everything, I can't wait to get started sowing.
    Thanks again...hannah

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

I'll be sending shoestring an email for an adoption now that Hannah is all set.

Lisa

• razkeys
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie looking to be adopted. This is my list from SSE and Burpee from this year and last. Thank you

Tomatoes Burpee Big Boy
    Green Sausage
    Trophy
    Tomatillo
    Roma
    Yellow Pear
    Brandywine
    Gold Medal
    Cherokee Purple
    Black From Tula
    Italian Heirloom
    Plum Lemon
    Super Sweet 100 Hybrid
    Burpees Supersteak Hybrid
    Burpees Early Pick Hybrid
    Pepper
    Jalapeno
    Hot Lemon
    Orange Bell
    Habanero
    Purple Beauty
    Red Rocoto
    Big Dipper
    California Wonder
    Celery Tall Utah Improved
    Swiss Chard Rhubarb Chard
    Fordhook Giant
    Bright Lights
    Cabbage Mammoth Red Rock
    Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved
    Leeks Giant Musselborg
    American Flag
    Radish Cincinatti Market
    Parsley Single Italian Plain Leafed
    Cilantro
    Watermelon Bush Sugar Baby
    Moon and Stars, Van Doren
    Mountain Sweet Yellow
    Congo
    Crimson Sweet
    Basil Sweet
    Genovese
    Corn Golden Bantam Organic
    Bi Color Hybrid Sugar Enhanced
    Popcorn
    Dill Mammoth
    Radish Cincinatti Market Long
    Bean Purple Podded Pole
    Sultans Golden Crescent
    Lettuce Flame
    Black Seeded Simpson
    Romaine, Huge
    Bibb
    Chamomile German
    Peas

Goliath
    Cucumber Lemon
    Garden Sweet Burpless
    Carrots Touchon
    Danvers 126
    Dragon
    Onion Evergreen Bunching
    Broccoli Green Sprouting Calabrese
    St Johns Wort
    Alyssum Carpet Of Snow
    Zinnia Lilliput Mix
    Lavender
    Cosmos
    Babys Breath Early Snowball
    Marigold Naughty Marietta

• cryptid
    13 years ago

Hi all! Thought I should mention I adopted Willie_Dean and sent him seeds three days ago. :)

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

I received the most fantastic package of seeds from dcj24 - thank you so much Donnisha!

~dianne

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Kilngod-I have a packet for a newbie. It has a few herbs and veges but mostly flowers from zone 5-8. Let me know if someone is interested.

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

naturegirl236 -- thanks for the update on that thank you here for the postage deal elsewhere thing, and sorry for any confusion!

*****Have fun, folks!*****
    Thanks for all the updates everyone, and for keepin' on keepin' on.

When this thread fills up, I will get another one started, but I may not check back until the weekend....

razkeys zone 6 (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
    miafolks2011 zone 6 springfield mass (interests: veggies, fruits)

Willie_Dean 7 North Carolina (cryptid)
    shoestring zone 5 GateCity, VA (ishareflowers)
    elaforet zone 7 unk state (flowergirl34)
    Paperfinch zone 6b TN (flowergirl34)
    azimuth zone 5?7? New england (beth_b_kodiak)
    dbannie04 8 TX (canyonwind)
    cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (naturegirl236)
    bhscarlett (aquawise)

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

I sent dbannie04 a newbie package this past Friday.
    Enjoy!

Annie

• dbannie04
    13 years ago

I just received my seed pack today from canyonwind (Annie). WOW--you are so amazing. I am thrilled about all the wonderful goodies you sent!! You really out did yourself. Super generous--now if I can only figure out how to get it all to grow :)

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi! Just wanted to post that Elspeth (elafloret) emailed me and received her bubblie. Adoption complete.

And Paperfinch mailed out her bubblie Monday so I should be receiving it any day. Will post when sent back out :)

Thanks! vina

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

bobanda replied to my email requesting verification that she received her seeds in the affirmative.
    Adoption complete.
    Alana

• mamaemi
    13 years ago

Hi there,
    I'm new to the site and to seed saving and trading. I am interested in heirloom varieties, herbs for all uses (medicinal, culinary, and crafty stuff), vegetable, cottage garden type design. Ideally my garden would be a mix of the cottage garden type flowers and whimsical design with kitchen garden elements sprinkled throughout. I am in zone 6 in KY. I am sort of new to gardening in the sense that I've always wanted to have a home garden like mention. Now that I am homesteading on my farm with my hubby I have a chance to do that. I'm also interested in how to use plants in unconventional way. Oh and Honey. My hubby and would be like to Learn about beekeeping. My non garden interests include learning new skills like baking canning and working with herbs. I'd be thrilled to have someone with familiar interests and experience adobt me!

• lovingmy4babies
    13 years ago

Hello! I am new to Garden Web and to trading in general, and I saw this thread. I'm interested in participating if you wouldn't mind letting me :) However- I am not able to grow things outdoors right now as they are redoing the landscaping at my apartment, and it looks like I won't be able to plant in the flower beds in front of my unit either. So- house plants it is! lol I have a few so far, but our selections here are limited. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Deborah

• kms4me
    13 years ago

I just sent an offer to mamaemi.

One of the people I adopted has not gotten back to me in over a month, though I've sent a couple of emails. I told the individual to choose things off my list; when I didn't hear back I said I would select things if he/she was too busy, again without reply. I would really like to send seeds to someone while there is time to use them yet this season, and I also had some germinating seeds I was going to send as well--time is running out for them!

I hate to break an adoption agreement but am unsure what to do. In a couple of weeks I will be in the midst of preparing for my plant sale and will have no time for seed sending after that.

Kate

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals