Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

Posted by kilngod z6 KY (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 18:36

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 12 PACKS OF SEEDS***
(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)
--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14; can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:
--make sure your email address shows on your member page (see link below)
--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)
--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:
--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--to make things go bold, post < b > before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and < / b > after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST and announce who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usually means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--IF POSSIBLE, after receiving the package, thank them & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

--Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie Member Pages Assistance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

Hi Kilngod/Tina and everyone,

Was lurking here, and know that some folks need to update their profile info with Member Page email link, and zone and state, and things on their want list on their Trade Page and saw the link above to the instructions for updating.

If you follow those instructions and are still having problems getting things to update correctly, please see this post at The Suggestion Forum...Login and Profile Issues. I suggest you read it carefully and follow the instructions of contacting GW with details via the link there, if you are still unable to update. One thing that is important is to have your profile filled out completely. I was having problems and found out that for some reason my birthdate had gone missing...once I filled that in I was fine.

hth.

Sue...aka chemocurl...rbb

as you were........

(posted by chmocurl on the first thread.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Login & Profile Issues

o
SomeOtherTitle SoItWillAcceptMyPost

luckyladyd -- hope you'll pick another newbie, thanks for posting!

I'm removing deergarden & sunshinenc from the list. This cannot-contact-newbie thing is why making sure a real email address is accessible to the veteran. Oh well, we tried.

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

dciolek zone 5B OH (interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
fyrcrose zone 6 TN, Nashville (interests: homesteading, veggies)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)

Adoptions in-process or completed:

citygirlseeds zone 9 (canyonwind)
efd123 zone 6/7 MA (ishareflowers)
GardenCochin zone 6 VA (dem_pa)
Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind)
lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow)
mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow)
morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236)
bizarrogir zone 10/Sunset 22 Southern CA (cryptid)
Scratchits zone 8 OR (canyonwind)
NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (ishareflowers)
azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (beth_b_kodiak)
wjarvie zone unk Wyoming (skybird)
sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (aquawise)
celeegra z6 NYC (ishareflowers)
nuttnhunee z5a (smitties)
sundog2010 zone 5a WI (elvis)
bhscarlett (aquawise)
jshipway zone 6 MD (beth_b_kodiak)
Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (alwaysagarden)
wren1 zone 5, Central IL (smitties)
HoHumHollow zone 6A RI (dem_pa)
BeesNeeds zone 5 deep SW MI (dem_pa)
wrenhouse10 zone 5 (diene)
ckap zone 9a TX (piksi_hk)

o

Citygirlseeds....

I sent you an email yesterday. Email me when you get a chance. I am happy to adopt you!

Hohumhollow (Jay and Manuela) and Scratchits (Misty)...so happy your seeds arrived. Enjoy!

Misty, re: your Q, I will be in touch in the next few days!

Happy Friday to all!

Annie

o

I'm a newbie and would love to participate. I live near Denver, CO which is zone 5a. We have a challenging climate with a short growing season, cold winters, warm, dry summers, an elevation of 5500 ft with intense sunlight, and alkaline bentonite clay soil. In a couple months I will be moving into a new house so my big task will be to create a raised garden bed. Still, I want to grow a few things this year, even if I have to do them in containers. My yard will be tiny so compact/vertical and container gardening are good. I want to grow both vegetables and flowers along with an herb or two. I also have an interest in wintersowing which I jumped into this winter with 5 jugs so far.

o

I'd love to adopt a newbie. I've gotten many wonderful seeds through this site and I'd love to share some of the wealth of my own garden.

Please find me someone in Zone 6 who wants flower seeds and I'll get a package together for them.

Your note came at the right time. I've been working on my wintersowing and was wondering what to do with my extra seeds.

Cathy (a.k.a babcia)

o

Cathy / babcia -- you just claim someone from the list yourself, just like this:

"I'll adopt FuzzyPants since she's in zone 6 and wants to do butterfly gardening."

Then you email FuzzyPants and do all the "rest of it" directly with her.

(...and if you can get your member page to show your email, that is helpful for newbies if something happens with their email account. I know there are website issues right now, and my own settings are currently unfixable. Newbies -- if you cannot fix this at all, just post your email "in code" like Fuzzypants at yahoo dot com, so your person can contact you.)

kvenkat - we'll add you to the main list on next update.

o

I am a newbie who received some basic seeds for Christmas and have done a few trades or sasbe but if there is a veteran who would enjoy sharing any herb seeds or just various edibles or easy to grow flowers I'd appreciate the assistance!!! My goal is to improve my cooking skills by utilizing more veggies and hopefully herbs I grow!

My quick bio, moved to south eastern ma (zone 6) after college and I am looking to do my first raised bed garden this year and tried a few things in containers last year.

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL THE VETEARNS!!!

o

lol! fuzzy pants :)

I'd like to adopt BogGardner. I think I have some herbs, veggies and flowers. I'll send him an email.

Have a great weekend everyone!
vina :)

o

I'd like to participate. I live on a zone 5 lot in west central Illinois with lots of shade. After viewing the hosta forum I realized I could be doing a lot more to fill in my shade gardens. I think I'd sort of given up on them. Now, I know they could be lovely. Thank you for any help you're willing to provide.

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 19:37

If it is OK, I would like to adopt tempusflits since we share the same geographic area and interests:-)

Rhonda

o

Wow -- this is so cool! I'm a newbie who would appreciate any help I can get.

I recently moved to Texas into my first house (with my first yard!), and inherited mostly weeds with a little grass. I have no gardening experience at all, but I've been studying the GW forums all year. I'm working to make my yard and garden beautiful, fun, edible, and functional so that my kids (ages 8 months and 2 years) will love to be out there with me someday. Last year I put a few tomatoes, calla lilies, and a fig tree in just to give it a try, and now I'm addicted.

I'm interested in trying more flowers in addition to tomatoes and hopefully peppers, and have prepped a few beds to expand my efforts. With my little kiddos underfoot, I'm hoping to learn from all the GW pros about plants that thrive here without too much effort!

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance,
Gretchen

o

Hello,
I am a newbie to GW, zone 5, northeast Connecticut. I have a 20 foot square vegetable garden, several flower gardens, sun and shade, and an herb garden that is light shade.
I am also the gardener for my parents backyard, mostly shade, zone 6, southeast Massachusetts.
My preference is perennial plants, flowers and herbs, and I'm crazy about houseplants. Last year was my first vegetable garden from seed (bought plant starts in prior years) and it was very rewarding.
I am thrilled to find Garden Web and "meet" so many enthusiastic gardeners who are so generous with their expertise in so many areas. I am learning every day! I have been a gardener for 25 years, and love trying new things all the time.
Susan C. Pearson

o

I'll adopt SCPearson.

Kate

o

I can adopt a newbie who is into flowers more than veggies, since I have tons of flowers but not too much into veggie seeds. And I am in Zone 5 so someone near there would benefit the most. Just let me know who meets those wants. Thanks

Paula

o

SCPearson has been adopted by me.

o

I was adopted by ishareflowers and had a wonderful experience! She sent LOTS of seeds and most were from my wish list.
Now I'm going to find something from HER wishlist and send a lil thank you pack.
Thanks again Lisa! (ishareflowers)

o

Hey all!

BogGardner has contacted me and is sending her bubblie on Monday. :) So she is officially adopted.
This is so fun!
vina

o

paulan70, just check back again later. I know, we have a bunch of "veggie-newbies", which I don't have much of either. :) Anyone who knows some Veteran-Veggie-Heads, please round them up.

*Newbies, many of the blurbs you've posted would look great added to your memeber page. You've done a very good job of indicating what kinds of gardening you are into, what things you've done already, and what you're looking forward to. Perfect.

...FuzzyPants is what we call our cat sometimes. He's a maine coon mix and looks like he has puffy fuzzy britches on :) and I think "NancyPlants" made me think of it.

dciolek** zone 5B OH (interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
kvenkat zone 5a Dever, Co (extreme climate)(interests: vertical/container gardening, veggies, flowers)
gardengimp** zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
GretchensGarden 9a/Houston, TX (interests: flowers, tomatoes/peppers; has small kids)

**Their posts are on the other thread. Link is here below to find their post and member page. I'd especially like to get them adopted since they are "carryovers" and it's harder to find their posts. And gardengimp is a really early sign on..... thanks!

SCPearson 5 NE CT & zone 6 SE MA (kms4me)
tempusflits 5 WestCentral IL (rbrady)
BogGardner 6 MA (flowergirl34)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

Here is a link that might be useful: First Adopt-A-Newbie thread with gardengimp & dciolek posts

o
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for adopting!

o

Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 19:32

Tempusflits has emailed me-so the adoption is a GO!

Rhonda

o

I thought I would come here and re-post; save going back and hunting in the other thread. Hi! I'm Dianne aka gardengimp. I'm new to anything that is not a perennial; got the bug to grow some of our own fresh produce and that led to herbs which led to annual flowers ....

The Main Produce Garden? Front yard; where the sun is best - the neighbors have taken to stopping by and asking if we really eat that stuff. Yup, eating our front yard - one leaf at a time.

I really don't know all that much about growing veggies; what they look like growing, or taste like harvesting. I never knew we would like turnips until I planted and harvested the free sample from Baker Creek. I never liked arugula until it came fresh from our garden.

Which, is why I wanted to be adopted. So, somebody who knows so much more than I do about this stuff; could send us a small set of seeds that they thought would do us well and we could test it. As much as I would like to buy everything that sounds interesting and possible; that is not in our budget, .... sob .....

Out in the best garden spot; I try to make it look like a cottage garden; and keep things interesting looking and appealing from the curb side. Then I have several pockets of partial sun areas; that can grow stuff that will handle less than full sun. Which I'm thinking might allow me to extend our spring growing season a bit. It's all experiment and learn right now.

Oh, and I'm ramping up the seed starts. MIL is coming for two months the beginning of April for hip replacement surgery. I want to try and have as much garden fresh salads and cut bouquets ready for harvest then as I can. Heck, maybe I can convince hubs to let me spend $$ on seeds now to save $$ on carry out TooJay's in a few months? Think it would work ..... nah, probably not ... grin.

There are a few things I'm specifically interested in; and a few things I've read about that sound interesting; but really - I'm hoping for a few things to test out and spread our horizons. I've recently updated my exchange page; and if you so desire; you can check out my garden journal to see more of the growing environment.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: gardengimp's garden journal

o

I'll adopt dciolek. Veggies are my favorites and I have lots of heirlooms. I'm off to track down the old post.

o

I started last year. I am doing native flowers and grasses. A rain garden with full sun is in my future. I have a forrested lot with lots of neglect it has burdocks , buckthorn and other fun things.
I have a family of five so I am thrilled to do veggies as well. I have a huge veggie garden going with my siblings and parents at parents house. I will try to start anything.

o

Hi,
I'm new and would like to participate. I live in northern NH, toward the top of zone 4. I'm going to try my hand at a big garden this year - both veggies and annual and perenial flowers. I've got a 50 foot x 50 foot fenced in garden area that hasn't been used since we bought the house 6 years ago, so that'll get reclaimed, and I've already reserved a 16 yard load of top soil and a bunch of bales of peat moss to get rolling with some more raised beds when the ground finally thaws. We want to be more self sufficient and make the yard prettier - and any help with seeds would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

o

Hi! I'm doing a SASBE offer with Chris right now. I'd be happy to adopt him and just add more to his bubblie. Emailing him right now.
Thanks!
vina

o

I'm into heirloom veggie gardening (mostly tomatoes). I've only been gardening for a few years, but I'm pretty good at starting stuff from seed. I'd definitely be able to send along 12 varieties, but they'd be small packs. If anyone has a small garden and would like some non-expert mentoring, please feel free to send me an email!

Jess

o

Hi, I live in northern Wisconsin. I would love to be adopted. I love to garden both flowers and veggies. I have clay for soil but every year I try to add things to it and make it better.Thanks for considering me. Bette

o

Hi!
Received my email from Chris_NH_4 and he agreed. So he has been adopted.

When I first saw nancyplants it made me think of my kids and when they get a right answer on something they do the "smarty pants dance" :)

Have a great night!
vina

o

I would love to be adopted as well! I've been veggie gardening for a few years, but would love to work on starting perennials from seed to enlarge my flower gardens. My current collection is eclectic - just things I've been able to find at local nurseries and from a friend who was dividing flowers.

I'm in the Chesapeake Bay region of Maryland. My soil has a large clay content, but I've been amending it and building a good layer of topsoil for my plants. I have gardens in total shade (these are still mostly clay, tend to be slightly wet), as well as total sun.

I'd love to get advice on perennial gardening as well!

Thanks so much!!

o

I'm a newbie gardener and would love to be adopted! Count me in on this one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

o

worthgold1 & Chris_NH_4 --follow the link above to fix your email settings. We need to have your email set to "show to members" to put you on the list.

**I'd especially like to get gardengimp adopted since she is a "carryover" from the last thread!

**Remember - you don't have to be their knight in shining armour (some perfect match) just something somewhat related. If someone lists flowers and veggies, and you just have flowers -- you can send flowers. No worries at all!

jessicavanderhoff -- I'd recommend just picking someone, though I understand your concern. Small packs of seeds for tomatoes is pretty standard. There is someone who specifically listed tomatoes you could take. Looks good to me!

bette_wi zone 3 N. WI (flowers, cottage garden, veggies)
kvenkat zone 5a Dever, Co (extreme climate)(interests: vertical/container gardening, veggies, flowers)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
GretchensGarden 9a/Houston, TX (interests: flowers, tomatoes/peppers; has small kids)

Chris_NH_4 z 4/3 NH (flowergirl34)
dciolek zone 5B OH (naturegirl_2007)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

Would anyone like to adopt a newb who's garden is 75% shade 10% dry deep acid shade and 15% full sun? I'm very limited to sun space and have been growing lots of wildflowers/veggies/herbs there. My shade has been a catch all of what's not died there. I wouldmlove some tall shade loving grasses and more wildflowers, I would also welcome someone with experience to give me pointers and some seeds/cuttings/etc that they find tried and true. - thanks in advance - sumwhare

o

Citygirlseeds and I have been in touch. I will be sending her newbie surprises in the next couple of days!

Tina, thanks for putting this ongoing "Adopt a Newbie" together.

Annie

o

Howdy, I dropped in from the Vegetable forum, and normally focus on the Oklahoma Gardening forum. I'd be happy to adopt fyrcrose. How do I find him/her?

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I recieved a beautiful and very generous package from ishareflowers! Thank you so much! I felt like a kid in a candyshop sorting through the many little delighful packs, some im not even familiar with, so I am joyfully looking them up, now im off to see if any are winter-sow-able so i can get my hands dirty early :) Thanks again!
~ Eva

o

I've emailed downsouthdavid about a possible adoption. :-)

o

I'm emailing gardengimp about a possible adoption now. We aren't in the same zone but I believe that I have some goodies that she would like.
Thanks,
Donnisha

o
check

Hi macmex! thanks for stopping in. I forgot that fyrcrose's post was a carry over from the other thread too. Link toher member page is below. Thanks again! We need more Veggies like you :)
http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/fyrcrose

hostaroockie - thanks for catching downsouthdavid; he was posting as I was re-compiling the list. Phew, crisis averted.

I'll recompile again in a few days.

o

Hostarookie sent me an email. I'm finally adopted!

o

I've sent an adoption offer to Bette_wi, awaiting her response.

o

I think I've been adopted by zeedman. I'm so excited.

o

I've received an email from ketara and will adopt her!

o

I'd like to adopt GretchensGarden, sending her an email.

o

I heard back from gardengimp, so she is adopted.

o

Hello I,m a newbie who would love to be adopted
My interist are unusual vegetables and heirlooms
i live in southeast indiana kind of clay loam soil

o

***** jlzivney *****

--- lay off our newbies.
You were banned from this site and other for good reasons. Stay away. Period. We mean business.

Newbies --- do not accept any offers from someone who has not posted here on this thread saying they are adopting you. If jlzivney were to post (which she cannot since she is banned) under any of the names she has used (Busterb, busterb123, lljjz, summerFlower, snifers), well, we'd warn you of course to the best of our abilities.

Also, you can check the Rate & Review board for feedback on any veteran or newbie. The link is up top.

Veterans, as listed, post here first before contacting a newbie.

o

rhashell, I'll adopt you!

o

Just got adopted by Naturegirl236, and I'm SO excited!!!

o

kilngod what is up with jlzivney...she actually emailed me and sent me a ton of seed and some bulbs...very nice lady and she sent a unbelievable amount of seed to a community garden i asked her to. not sure what is going on here?

o

Citygirlseeds...your newbie seeds are finally headed out today! Enjoy!

Annie

o
RE: UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2...Thanks

Almost forgot to mention.....My newbie Sctratchits sent me a bubbler of vegetable seeds...and lots of coin envelopes....and a lovely note.

Thanks so much!

Happy Gardening! Touch base when you get a chance!

Annie

o

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I received Chris_NH_z4 and BogGardner (Erin)'s bubbler's today and they are both going back out in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks! Have a great night!
vina

o

I just wanted to let everyone know that dem_pa was great to me. He sent me so many wonderful seeds. Thank you so much! We will have so much fun planting everything this spring.
Lucky you, ketara! I absolutely love the eastern shore. We try to go there every summer for a week.

o

I'm guessing there were too many newbies and not enough veterans .

o

Sumwhare, you need to fix your email settings. Follow the link and directions at the top of this thread.

.....it's going great folks. Nicely done! Congrats to all the adoptees and adopters!

rhashell zone 5 southeast in (jessicavanderhoff)
GretchensGarden 9a/Houston, TX (naturegirl236)
bette_wi zone 3 N. WI (zeedman)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (dcj24)
downsouthdavid 7 south (hostarookie)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

Sumwhare, please contact me.
bb

o

I'm sorry , I thought I had my information up to date. I fixed it sorry guys.

o

This is such a fabulous idea! I'm a newbie, just bought our first house last summer and need to fill it up! I am zone 6 and have the most terrible clay soil ever but i'm working on that. I'm looking for low maintenance perennials which attract birds, bees and butterflies.

o

I am going to plant an heirloom garden, and would love some seeds if anyone has any..I am a raw foodist and do NOT like the lack of flavor that commercial seeds seem to always give. So I figure with heirloom, the flavor will be what Iremember as a child, you know back when you could smell and taste a fresh veggie instead of biting into something with no taste or odor.
Also, I am starting a back yard Eden. I need baby fruit trees and bushes and I like many cultivated flowers like peonies and panzies and poppies. I dont care for aster family plants because of sinus allergies. I love canterberry bells and bleeding heart bushes. I will post a want list soon as possible. I have a ton of marigold seeds I can share because that is all I planted last year. Thanks everyone. I cant wait to get back to the garden.
marywrightt@yahoo.com

o

Shumware and I are doing an adoption and have set it up.
I have emailed fyrcrose but have not heard anything back yet.
bb

o

I emailed an offer of adoption to bobanda.
Alana

o

It's official! Beth B Kodiak adopted me! I can't wait to get this underway.
- sumewhare

o

I am interested in being adopted. I would like to raise rare and unusual vegetables. I also like easy to grow flowers!

o

I can adopt kvenkat, I will contact him.

o

No response from kvenkat?????

o

Here I am!
Oh, I'm so delighted to be adopted by aquawise!
Woo-hoo!

o

kvenkat has bee adopted!!! LOL Ya Think hes excited? COOL!

o

Hi Tina,

I'm ready to do another and it appears that all have been adopted already!!!

I'll check back another time.

Lisa

o

... I take it back....I wasn't adopted....

o

I am paying forward a kind act by a highly regarded fellow Garden Web member by offering to adopt a short-season newbie from Zone 3 or 4. I would be thrilled if she/he were a Minnesota newbie, but not required.

My main seed inventory is heirloom / open pollinated vegetables but I have a bunch of mostly common annual and perennial flowers as well.

Any takers? Don't be shy.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: My Seed Trade Pages

o

Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 20:28

I am happy to report that the adoption of Tempusflits is complete. She has received her seeds and is very happy.

This was so much fun!

Rhonda

o

bobanda did not respond to my proffered adoption. I will try again today and if no response I will be looking for another victim candidate.
Alana

o

Many thanks to Vina for a great variety of seeds to help get me started. :o)

o

Poison dart frog and I have connected - so consider me adopted! Thanks so much!

o

I was adopted by flowergirl34 and she supplied me with an excellent assortment of seeds. Wonderfully helpful in getting me set-up for the coming spring.

This is a fabulous project, thanks again Vina for adopting me!!!

o

I am still waiting to be adopted. Zeedman sent me a email, I sent a letter back, saying I was interested. I havent heard back from them. Its been over a week. Kinda worried.

o
RE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

• Posted by ctcfo 6b - Southwest CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 19:46

Hi,

While not a newbie to Gardenweb this is my first year of seed trading and I would love to be adopted. I live in SW CT amid the trees. Therefore I am looking for seeds of shade perennials such as Hosta, Astilbe, Coral bells, Hellebore etc.Thanks for everyone's generosity and for considering me. Jeff

o

Nice try Bill (sumwhare). I was gone but now I'm back and I'll be Keeping an eye on you.
BB

o

I'm a wooden boat builder and soo new to farming "gardening". I had a small plot last year and enjoyed it so much. Can I please be adopted by a sweet beautiful charitable nice wonderful woman

o

Thanks Beth - thanks for your keen eye.

o

Yep You are still adopted. Might share you with an Auntie or Uncle but you're my Kiddo for this season.
hugs
MamaB

o

I am new to this and could use any help available. I would LOVE to be partnered up with someone. Thanks!

o
RE: Email Not Working

bette_wi I tried to respond to your email to me but the email did not go through. I then tried using the address (which is different) that you have on your member page and that did not go through either. This is probably why Zeedman never got back to you.

Email address number 1: ( ...@centurylink.net) did not work.
Email address number 2: ( ...@centurytel.net) did not work either.

-Tom

o

Hi, My email is correct #2. I sent myself something to make sure it works. Not sure why its not working for you.

o

I have sent an offer of adoption to ctcfo (Jeff).

kms

o

Could I be adopted? I've already shared e-mails with beth and jill, wicked nice girls. I live in New England.

o

Oh,Pick Me, Pick Me! I'm still here, is anyone interested in adopting this newbie? Am I doing something wrong? I really want to be adopted..... Thanks

o

Citygirlseeds received her newbie seeds...adoption complete!!

I will check in later to see if there is another newbie to take on.......

Thanks!

Annie

o

• Posted by ctcfo 6b - Southwest CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 22:26

I am so thrilled to have been adopted by Kate [kms4me]! As been said before = I can't wait to get this underway.

Jeff

o

Morning all,

I just sent Hannah an email, consider her adopted!

Lisa

o

bette_wi
Something is goofy with the email. I received your message and tried twice to send an answer bu clicking "REPLY" Both times, it came back saying the name/address did not exist.
I'm not real good with computer type mysteries and I'm confused.
BB

o

I am still waiting for a newbie who likes mainly flowers in zone 5 I was gonna go for Hannah but Lisa (Ishare) got her first. So any other newbies out there who want flowers and are close to Zone 5. Let me know

Paula

o

soilent_green emailed an adoption offer to bette_wi. Email issues are resolved.

-Tom

o

hi im mia new to the forum
im 29 mom of 4 live in springfield mass
and i grow veggies and fruits
would love to be added to the list to be
addopted

o

I just received my GENEROUS package of seeds from naturegirl236! Wow! Thanks so much to Jill for all the new seeds for me to try. And another thank you to the organizers of this newbie adoption thread. I greatly appreciate this wonderful way to try new things in my new garden!

Gretchen

o

OH, thank you ishareflowers for picking me!!!! I am going to check my email now.
Thanks to Paula for thinking about me. I'M so excited.

o

I am please to say that Solient Green has adopted me. I'm so excited.

o

Hi, I'm Jess, still pretty new to gardening, and just found this forum last week. I really enjoy growing veggies and fruits and would love to try heirloom/unique varieties (they look so fun!!) but I'm also happy with being able to put any homegrown produce on the table for my family (I have some of our favorites on my wish list) :) I am wanting to try a butterfly garden this year too, so seeds for either would be great! I would love to be added to the list to be adopted, and it is so nice of you all to be doing this for us newbies! :)

o

Newbie packs have been filled and sent back to downsouthdavid and ketara.

Hope ya'll enjoy them!!!

Em

o

Okay, any recent newbies that haven't been adopted yet, post here and let me know. I'm Zone 7 BTW.

o

Hi! Emailing mintygreen with adoption proposal :)
vina

o

OK - Sorry about the lagtime folks. I was away at a conference and then trying to catch up at work. Here's the big updated list. I think I've gotten everyone in the right lists, but please post if I've put someone in the wrong spot. And Zeedman's a good egg - He'll be back to adopt someone else soon!

azimuth zone unk 5?, MA (interests: veggies, herbs)
fyrcrose zone 6 TN, Nashville (interests: homesteading, veggies)** no reply yet
BogGardner zone 6 TN (interests: veggies, herbs, flowers)
Paperfinch zone 6b TN (interests: veggies, herbs, a gardening woman)
cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (interests: heirloom garden, edibles, raw foodist)

Current Newbies with member page / email addy fixes needed:
miafolks2011 6 springfield mass (interests: veggies, fruits)

mintygreen zone 5 IA (flowergirl34)
bette_wi zone 3 N. WI (soilent_green)
bobanda 6 (poisondartfrog)
hannah 5 south IN (ishareflowers)
ctcfo 6b - Southwest CT (kms4me)
kvenkat zone 5a Dever, Co (aquawise)
sumwhare 7A (beth_b_kodiak)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o
RE: UPDATE: weroihdsgns

OK - Sorry about the lagtime folks. I was away at a conference and then trying to catch up at work. Here's the big updated list. I think I've gotten everyone in the right lists, but please post if I've put someone in the wrong spot. And Zeedman's a good egg - He'll be back to adopt someone else soon!

azimuth zone unk 5?, MA (interests: veggies, herbs)
cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (interests: heirloom garden, edibles, raw foodist)

Current Newbies with member page / email addy fixes needed:

bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

I'm emailing cantwait2garden about adoption.

o

Mintygreen emailed me back. So consider her adopted :)
Thanks!
vina

o

I'd still love to be adopted. I am mostly looking for heirloom (biodynamic would be awesome!) veggies, herbs and unusual flowers. I'd also love any advice from a seasoned gardener who is familiar with this climate zone 6b, since I grew up in zone 5a. So excited to dig in the dirt again! :D

o

hi sorry about the email fixed it

o
Auntie or Uncle wanted, please

About a week ago I was joking about an Auntie or Uncle for sumwhare.
Now, I really would love to find one for him.
I did send seeds, but, he needs more shade oriented things than I had in my collection.
If someone could be Auntie, Uncle or even Big Brother and send him a couple packs of seed for shade plants, I'll send stamps and owe you a big favor.
KilnGod, I hope this is OK. I know it is not the normal routine. I stuck my foot in my mouth this time. Sorry.
BB

o

Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 21:05

Hey BB, I can be an "Auntie" for sumwhare-I have some shade type seeds to share:-)

Rhonda

o

Hope to be adopted.
Thanks girls!

o

Yay! Got my seeds today from aquawise.
THANK YOU!!

o

Beth , Rhonda,

Regardless of what either of you send me, I'd be happy with anything.. You've both seen pictures of the full shade on my property. I'm sure I'll be able to grow your seeds somewhere.

o

Hi! While I'm not new to Gardenweb, I am new to gardening/seed exchanges. I joined a while back to get advice on starting tomato seeds, and just recently rediscovered how awesome and info rich the site is! I would LOVE to be adopted/tutored by someone much wiser and experienced than myself!!

Due to a major drainage problem at my house, we recently excavated the entire back yard, so I have a clean slate that needs some cool plants! I live in north east Texas. The summers can be pretty hot and dry, but while we were digging we installed a sprinkler system--Yay!! Most of the yard is sunny but I have a few places that get morning sun and afternoon shade. We recently planted several oak trees, so hopefully we will start getting more shade.
My main interests are flowering shrubs/plants, tomatoes and veggies, and anything that attracts humming birds and butterflies. I would also love any milkweed for the monarchs! But really, I'm not picky! Thank you for organizing this--it is AWESOME!

Aly

o

Aly...just sent you an email via GW.

Annie

o

ID LOVE TO BE ADOPTED THANKS

o

Hope to be adopted.
Thanks girls!

o

Better late than never...rec'd a GENEROUS package from hostarookie...Em, you rock! Thank you so very much!!!!!

o

I have been in contact with dbannie04...aka Aly. She is now adopted!

Annie

o

Hello, I have been gardening on and off for app. 40 years. I am now in a wheelchair (amputee) and I am starting my first raise bed garden. it is a small thing (4' x 12' x 12") filled with bagged top soil. I would love to be included in your newbie adoption. I love veggies and fruits. Thank you for your consideration. Dean

o

Red'd two amazing packages from naturegirl and BB. Thanks soo much girls!

o

Hi! I received mintygreen's bubblie and mailed it back out to her yesterday :) Just waiting for her to receive.

In the meantime...I can adopt someone else :)

Thanks!
vina

o

Hello All!
I am Fairly new to GW I joined last fall, but I am not new to seeds growing! I would love to adopt a newbie and share my extras and advice to someone looking to try growing from seed. I am in Zone 6a.
So if anyone is looking to be adopted I'd love to share my seeds!!!
Nina

o

I recieved my seeds my seeds from hostarookie. Consider this adoption compleat!

o

Hi all, Received my bubble mailer today from soilent_green. WOW is all I can say, The seeds came beautifully packaged up and labeled very nicely. I hope I can do them justice by having them grow well for me. My adoption is completed. Thanks Tom, Bette

o

As Bette (bette_wi) stated - she received her seeds and the adoption is completed. It was a pleasant experience for me, hopefully was for her as well.
-Tom (soilent_green)

o

Announcements

Newbies:
Please do not post multiple times. You are on the list the first time. Multiple times just makes more work for me.

Make sure that your email shows to members.

No double-adopting please
Beth , Rhonda -- I originally typed here "no worries" but now it looks like the idea caught-n-slid somewhere else. We'll refrain from double adopting. More below.

Veterans & Newbies: This adopt is not to solve all of the newbie's garden woes, just get them started nicely. Hopefully this welcomes them well, prompts them to become part of the community, helps their feedback rating, and they continue trading. Veterans, spread the love around. Newbies, have fun with what you receive, and look into trading on the other forums if you have additional seed needs.

Post/announce adoptions here first
Veterans -- remember that you must post here first that you are adopting someone. This is for the newbie's safety. And so that we know someone is adopted. Additionally, if Azimuth hadn't posted, he would have stayed on the list, and potentially could have 14 people adopting him (if they didn't post) while 8 people stayed on the list unadopted. :) And when you post the adopt, I see the veteran's real screenname instead of a newbie posting the real name/ variant and I'm hunting all over trying to figure out who it was that adopted. Thanks much! :)

beautifulreddahlias -- just claim someone from the list and post that you are doing so.

*****Have fun, folks!*****

Willie_Dean 7 North Carolina (veggies & fruits)

azimuth zone 5 or 7 New england (naturegirl236 ? / beth_b_kodiak ?)
dbannie04 8 TX (canyonwind)
cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (naturegirl236)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

(You can always just take duplicate adoptions "off thread", as it's a free forum, eh? Do so at your own risks, and please take into account the things I noted above. Thank you!)

o

I mailed Hannah's seeds about a week ago...haven't heard from her yet!

I'm looking for a zone 5 or 6 FLOWER gardener. I have a HUGE package and only want to do one person. I am tired of playing with seeds....lol

Kilngod (Tina), if one signs up please send her my way.

Lisa

o

Received my seed packet in the mail today from flowergirl34. Thank you so much!! My garden will be overflowing this year :) Thanks again Vina, ~Jess

o

Thanks so much Jess for letting me know :) Happy Sowing!

I've been going through my seed stash this weekend and have some extra veggie's and herbs. I'm emailing paperfinch and see if she'd like to be adopted.

Thanks!
vina

o

I never did hear back from cantwait2garden about adoption and I don't see any other posts from them other than those on this thread. I'm guessing they stopped in for a few days and haven't been back since...

Azimuth had contacted me after I posted a thread on the Seed Exchange page and I suggested he check out this thread. We ended up working out a for postage deal, hence the thank you posted here but no offer to adopt post from me. :)

o

Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie. I have a small sunny garden. I love flowers, I've managed to misplace a my herb seeds from last year. I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who adopted me! if you're interested please get in touch!
Thanks,
Elspeth

o

Hi!

Paperfinch has been adopted.

I'll also be emailing Elspeth (elafloret), we are doing a trade right now and I'd be happy to adopt her too.

Thanks!
vina

o

dbannie04 (Aly)...I sent you a response to your email last week. I have not heard back....need your address.

Annie

o

Hi!

Elspeth emailed me back and is adopted.

Thanks!
vina

o

Hi I am new to the garden web and I only have a small amount of things to trade, and only a few seeds of them. I however live in the country and have access to alot of different seedlings if you might be interested in them.
I love flowers and have just moved. I cannot afford to buy alot of flowers,so, my sister suggested I join the Gardenweb and make new friends to help fill up my bed and have fun doing it. I only learned how to use the computer acouple months ago.It turns out it is not as hard as I thought it would be after all.

Thanks for having me,
Shoestring

o

• Posted by hannah 5 south IN (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 21:31

Hey just wanted to let everyone know I recieved the most wonderful supply of seeds from ishareflowers! She mailed more than I ever thought I would get, so generous! I really appreciate everything, I can't wait to get started sowing.
Thanks again...hannah

o

I'll be sending shoestring an email for an adoption now that Hannah is all set.

Lisa

o

I'm a newbie looking to be adopted. This is my list from SSE and Burpee from this year and last. Thank you

Tomatoes Burpee Big Boy
Green Sausage
Trophy
Tomatillo
Roma
Yellow Pear
Brandywine
Gold Medal
Cherokee Purple
Black From Tula
Italian Heirloom
Plum Lemon
Super Sweet 100 Hybrid
Burpees Supersteak Hybrid
Burpees Early Pick Hybrid
Pepper
Jalapeno
Hot Lemon
Orange Bell
Habanero
Purple Beauty
Red Rocoto
Big Dipper
California Wonder
Celery Tall Utah Improved
Swiss Chard Rhubarb Chard
Fordhook Giant
Bright Lights
Cabbage Mammoth Red Rock
Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved
Leeks Giant Musselborg
American Flag
Radish Cincinatti Market
Parsley Single Italian Plain Leafed
Cilantro
Watermelon Bush Sugar Baby
Moon and Stars, Van Doren
Mountain Sweet Yellow
Congo
Crimson Sweet
Basil Sweet
Genovese
Corn Golden Bantam Organic
Bi Color Hybrid Sugar Enhanced
Popcorn
Dill Mammoth
Radish Cincinatti Market Long
Bean Purple Podded Pole
Sultans Golden Crescent
Lettuce Flame
Black Seeded Simpson
Romaine, Huge
Bibb
Chamomile German
Peas

Goliath
Cucumber Lemon
Garden Sweet Burpless
Carrots Touchon
Danvers 126
Dragon
Onion Evergreen Bunching
Broccoli Green Sprouting Calabrese
St Johns Wort
Alyssum Carpet Of Snow
Zinnia Lilliput Mix
Lavender
Cosmos
Babys Breath Early Snowball
Marigold Naughty Marietta

o

Hi all! Thought I should mention I adopted Willie_Dean and sent him seeds three days ago. :)

o

I received the most fantastic package of seeds from dcj24 - thank you so much Donnisha!

~dianne

o

Kilngod-I have a packet for a newbie. It has a few herbs and veges but mostly flowers from zone 5-8. Let me know if someone is interested.

o

naturegirl236 -- thanks for the update on that thank you here for the postage deal elsewhere thing, and sorry for any confusion!

*****Have fun, folks!*****
Thanks for all the updates everyone, and for keepin' on keepin' on.

When this thread fills up, I will get another one started, but I may not check back until the weekend....

razkeys zone 6 (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
miafolks2011 zone 6 springfield mass (interests: veggies, fruits)

Willie_Dean 7 North Carolina (cryptid)
shoestring zone 5 GateCity, VA (ishareflowers)
elaforet zone 7 unk state (flowergirl34)
Paperfinch zone 6b TN (flowergirl34)
azimuth zone 5?7? New england (beth_b_kodiak)
dbannie04 8 TX (canyonwind)
cantwait2garden zone 7 Nc Foothills (naturegirl236)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

I sent dbannie04 a newbie package this past Friday.
Enjoy!

Annie

o

I just received my seed pack today from canyonwind (Annie). WOW--you are so amazing. I am thrilled about all the wonderful goodies you sent!! You really out did yourself. Super generous--now if I can only figure out how to get it all to grow :)

o

Hi! Just wanted to post that Elspeth (elafloret) emailed me and received her bubblie. Adoption complete.

And Paperfinch mailed out her bubblie Monday so I should be receiving it any day. Will post when sent back out :)

Thanks! vina

o

bobanda replied to my email requesting verification that she received her seeds in the affirmative.
Adoption complete.
Alana

o

Hi there,
I'm new to the site and to seed saving and trading. I am interested in heirloom varieties, herbs for all uses (medicinal, culinary, and crafty stuff), vegetable, cottage garden type design. Ideally my garden would be a mix of the cottage garden type flowers and whimsical design with kitchen garden elements sprinkled throughout. I am in zone 6 in KY. I am sort of new to gardening in the sense that I've always wanted to have a home garden like mention. Now that I am homesteading on my farm with my hubby I have a chance to do that. I'm also interested in how to use plants in unconventional way. Oh and Honey. My hubby and would be like to Learn about beekeeping. My non garden interests include learning new skills like baking canning and working with herbs. I'd be thrilled to have someone with familiar interests and experience adobt me!

o

Hello! I am new to Garden Web and to trading in general, and I saw this thread. I'm interested in participating if you wouldn't mind letting me :) However- I am not able to grow things outdoors right now as they are redoing the landscaping at my apartment, and it looks like I won't be able to plant in the flower beds in front of my unit either. So- house plants it is! lol I have a few so far, but our selections here are limited. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Deborah

o

I just sent an offer to mamaemi.

One of the people I adopted has not gotten back to me in over a month, though I've sent a couple of emails. I told the individual to choose things off my list; when I didn't hear back I said I would select things if he/she was too busy, again without reply. I would really like to send seeds to someone while there is time to use them yet this season, and I also had some germinating seeds I was going to send as well--time is running out for them!

I hate to break an adoption agreement but am unsure what to do. In a couple of weeks I will be in the midst of preparing for my plant sale and will have no time for seed sending after that.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here