Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: new february fotess swap!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 19:20

FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps. You must be a member to participate, and if you are interested in joining FOTESS, please contact Jeanne or I. We would love to have you!

We're going to do an upcycling swap this month and I came up with two ways to play it. Couldn't make up my mind, So YOU get to choose!

If you sign up for this month's swap you can chose:

PLAN A - An Art Show, wherein you will be given a list of common household items and be asked to "upcycle" a work of art from them. You will choose from 3 different categories.
No mailing out for this swap. You will post a picture of your artwork and then you will vote for the ones you like best in each category.

PLAN B - An Upcycling Extravaganza, wherein you will be given a list of common household items and asked to upcycle them into something useful for your partner. You will be mailing them out.

Sign-ups are until Saturday, Jan. 31. When you sign up, please tell me which plan you would like to play this month. Whichever has the most votes is the one we'll play. So please be prepared to take part in either one, okay?

On Sunday, February 1, I'll post all the info for whichever plan is chosen.

Anyone ready for some major upcycling?
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: new february fotess swap!

I think I will sit this one out Shirley, but I will look in to see what has been created.
Have fun!

o

Regretfully, I'm out this month, so sorry. It will be inspiring to see everyone's contribution, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Repurposed Stuff Link

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 10:36

o

Shirley, I am in for this. I really don't mind which one we do so count me in for either. They both sound like fun although my creativity may not be too great. LOL
Margo

o

Shirley, Count me In!

I'm all for plan A.

I had just been thinking how to decorate the Hospital Laboratory for the Super Bowl.
It is coming up VERY FAST, so if you could give me my household items today ... I will start working on them tonight.

Just remember I'm not a very crafty person, so don't expect anything too much. Just know I will be having FUN while creating!
;o)
Sharon

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 19:17

Evening, All!
Alana and Sheri, we will miss ya, but stop in to chat when you can!

Welcome Margo and Sharon! Glad you could join in!

Sharon, you won't need the list until AFTER the Superbowl and you will have most of the month to do your "creating". Who are you cheering for? I'm going with Denver.

Margo, are you still drifted in? Today was really sunny up here, but still terribly cold. Drifts in really unexpected places.

I wish there was a way to upcycle some warmer weather, but I guess Mother Nature will do that in her own good time; can't be soon enough for me!

Have a good day tomorrow, stay warm,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, we are no longer drifted in but the drifts are still there. We parked out beyond them for a couple days until Adrian could snow blow a path just wide enough to get the cars into the parking area just outside the garage. The areas around the house look like Antarctica with huge drifts everywhere. There is a drift that is higher than the deck. It looks like it would be fun to just take a flying leap into it. LOL

Trying to stay warm. Margo

o

Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 20:14

Oh, would that we were kids again! I remember playing outside in the snow for hours; don't think I would enjoy it as much now.
I just checked the weather and it is supposed to be warming up over the weekend and next week will be in the mid twenties - a heat wave! Bout time!
Shirley!

o

Sign me up for plan A. I am not very artistic but maybe I will be able to create something... hope so anyway..

o

Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 15:25

Welcome to the swap, Peggy, and don't worry, you'll do fine. There will be 3 categories to choose from, if we do Plan A, so you should find something that says "you"!

So far, for an Upcycling Month, we have:
Margo
Sharon/toomany
Peggy, and
Me

It was a beautiful, sunshiny day here today, got to 12 above! Whoo Hooo!!
Shirley!

o

I want in! This sounds exciting. I liked plan A myself, but open to either.
They are tempting us with the forecast of a little snow the next two days in central Nebraska. We'll take any and all. Very dry.
I bet the snowdrifts help insulate the house, although I know you wouldn't special order them for that purpose. The wind that whips around here is crazy.
As part of my job I drove a lady to a dr. 4 hours away yesterday. The interpreter didn't show and the dr. wouldn't see her. It was a workman comp consult and without a certified interpreter it's not much good to have the meeting. With all the technology and sophistication in this world I just couldn't believe we were driving back. This is question #141 for God when I get to heaven. "God, that 10 hour day with 8 hours of driving with no results? Could you enlighten me?" I'm sure there will be a good story involving angels and I know I live in the fallen world so I have to expect fallen results.

At the beef packing plant I work in we are starting a program to celebrate new babies. Our motto is, "Making Great Food. Making a Difference." I thought we could just add, "Making Babies." I don't think that would pass corporate, but it got my creative juices going so let's do an art show!
Heidi

o

Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 20:46

Welcome to the swap, Heidi, glad you could join in! What a bummer of a thing to have happen, drive all that way and they wouldn't see her? Crazy.

I like the idea of an art show, but then, I liked Plan B too, which is why YOU all are deciding this month!

Have a great day tomorrow, stay warm,
Shirley!

o

Shirley,
If we do Plan A... and you promise that it's simple, I'll join in. Between having that person hit my car and the doctor's visits, etc. involved with that ... and the due date for my daughter's baby towards the end of Febraruy I need simple, but it's too tempting to not participate! I know whatever you thought of will be fun.
Jeanne

o

I'm going to sit this one out! But wanted to tell Jeanne thank you for the little gift from one of the swaps. I guess it was a month or so back, as don't remember winning anything! Anyway, it was a cute cupcake notepad and pen and a heart shaped chocolate mint! And I so wanted something chocolate and sweet that day! It hit the spot! Thank you so very much!

So hope everyone has a good time and enjoys this swap! Melinda

o

Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 20:23

Hey Everyone!

Melinda, stop by and chat when you have a chance!

Jeanne, it will be simple, I promise! Hope you are feeling okay.

So far, we have:
Margo
Sharon/toomany
Peggy
Heidi
Jeanne, maybe
and Me!

Still time to join in, folks, Saturday is the deadline.
Hope to see some more join in!

Has anyone seen the Budweiser commercial for the Superbowl? You NEED to see this!
Shirley!

Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 20:25

o

Shirley......this sounds fun!!! SIMPLE sounds good too! I vote for PLAN A!!!!

Jeanne, thinking of you! Feel better.....

We had rain last night....sounded beautiful...pitter...patter....pitter....patter! We actually turned the sprinkler system off.......finally!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

You can take the "maybe" off from my name and leave me signed up, Shirley. Sorry to make things confusing.

We still have a bit of snow on the ground, but I don't think it will last through tomorrow. It certainly was pretty!

Jeanne

o

Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:36

Jeanne, what a beautiful picture! But not exactly my idea of South Carolina! Thanks for sharing! And I've put you on the permanent list!

Welcome, Annie and Happy Friday to you too! Wish we would get some rain, to help melt all these huge piles of snow.

Is anyone Wintersowing? I think I've already asked that, but can't remember who is. In any event, my WS is turning into a long, drawn out process. There is about a foot and a half of snow in my back yard, kind of hard to set pots out in that. I think I've only got 18 out there.

On the other hand, I am trying to raise begonias, inside on the heat mat, under lights. Haven't done that in years, ever since I started WSing. Had to ask Alana lots of questions! But, Oh Joy, they have sprouted! There are lots and lots of tiny little green pin head sized sprouts all over the flat! I am very pleased!

Grocery shopping tomorrow, oh, yay.
Have a great weekend,
Shirley!

o

Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 8:29

Good Morning! Just a heads up, today is the last day to sign up for this month's swap. I'll be posting the info for whichever swap we do, tomorrow

Come on out and Join us!

Snowing here, might not get to go grocery shopping - what a shame.
Shirley!

o

Shirley, on your promise that this will be simple, I'll sign up. I'm totally uncrafty. So uncrafty that it is not even funny.
I have things winter sown but I'm sorry to say, it has been way too warm for them. Hopeing for some cooler weather. Waiting for rain or snow too but so far, nothing.
bethb

o

Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:45

Hi Everyone! And welcome Beth, yes, it will be simple, as it looks like we will be doing Plan A.

Here's who we have playing:
Margo
Sharon/toomany
Peggy
Heidi
Annie
Jeanne
Beth, and
Me

Signups will be over at midnight, and I'll be back in the morning with final instructions for the swap!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 10:22

Happy Groundhog's Day!

6 more weeks of this? Way to go, Phil, you Twit!

Go Denver!!

Okay, on to the more serious business of this swap! We will be going with PLAN A -An Art Show!

All you will need to do is upcycle/create a work of Art from the following list of common, everyday items, in one of these 3 categories:
1. A Pretty Picture
2. An Abstract Upcycle
3 A Self Portrait
Then post a picture of it on the swap site.

You will have until February 22 to post your Upcycled Work of Art.

This will be a "Juried" Art Show, so, the last full week of February will be used to vote for your favorite picture in these two categories:
1. Best in Individual Category
2. Best use of as many upcycling items as possible!

Anyone who is a member of FOTESS can vote, even if you aren't playing this month, in fact, the more the merrier!

And here's your list of upcycling items:
1. twisty ties 2. Q tips 3 Aluminum foil
4. commercial seed packs (empty) 5. coffee filters
6. cupcake papers 7. used greeting cards
8. napkins 9. magazine pages
10. box tops or sides or fronts 11. ribbon, ric rac, braid
12. paper clips 13. felt 14. dryer sheets
15. labels from cans 16. wall paper samples 17. gift wrap
18. brown paper bags 19. paper plates
20 paper towels
PLUS one item from your home that isn't mentioned here.

You can use markers, colored pencils, paint or glitter, if you would like. The size of your Upcyle is up to you! When you post your Upcycled Work of Art, you will probably have to tell us which category it is!

Winners will be announced on March 1. Prizes will be awarded and there will be a game!

On with the Upcycling/Creating!
Shirley!

o

What a great list to choose from. I am currently in Columbus, Ohio dog sitting for my son as he and his girlfriend went with a group of their friends down to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I will collect things and get started when I get home on Wednesday.

Now, I need a favor from those of you located along the route from Northern Ohio to Gatlingburg. There is a supposed storm of some sort coming to Ohio. They can't call it either way such as snow or rain but one of our hysterical but often correct weatherman is saying a possibility of 9 or more inches coming Tuesday into Wednesday so you can see my dilemma. I am watching it as well as I can from two hours away but not sure when they will be able to make a decision. All the weathermen are afraid to make the call just yet.

I am staying here because his dogs hate cats, shed something fierce, but are great two girls. I have cats and it is just a hassle to deal with them when they spot the cats they go nuts, therefore I have to block all my windows and keep my one indoor cat in the basement. I really didn't mind coming just for some time to myself as well.

My issue is I am off for five straight days which is ok but the owner of the gift shop I work at is out West for two weeks and I am in charge. I work 10-6 on my own Thursday and I am afraid if I can't make it back home, she will get ticked that I left town being as I am in charge of the shop.

Therefore, I need some insight as to weather from there to where my son is. I can leave early and take the dogs or leave them here overnight by themselves which can be done one night. If the weather is bad and there is a possibility Andrew might not make it home on Wednesday, that is not good. I can take them back with me but would prefer not if the weather isn't going to be that bad.

If anyone in the areas I referred to could keep me posted, I would appreciate it. I will get what info I can but need to decide what to do by Tuesday morning.

Now, on to some magazine reading. Margo

o

Sounds like great fun, Shirley! Thanks for thinking of this.

Margo, I hope things work out for your travels and you can come up with the best plan for the dogs. The weather is so subject to change this year, I guess no one knows what to think. I have to applaud the area I live in near Columbia, SC, because they were well prepared for the storm of this past week. I thought it was a bit odd for schools and so many businesses to be closed on Tues. especially when our snow didn't begin to fall until 9 p.m., but at least it wasn't like Atlanta! I didn't try the roads, but we've heard they were pretreated and things went as well as can be expected with a Southern snow storm.

That's all for now!
Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 19:34

o
Re: fotess "football" swap

Jayeanne, Just a quick note to let you know that the Seahawk Garden Gnome you sent me had a fabulous time at today's Superbowl party. He was the star attraction, along with Bruno Mars and the entire Seattle Seahawks Superbowl Champion Team members. Thanks again for your thoughtful gift. Peggy

o

Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 8:13

Congrats on the Seahawk win, Peggy and all the Seahawk fans!

Denver? Well, there's always next year.

Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Well, looks like I am heading home tomorrow. There is a wintry mix due here resulting in an icy mix first then turning to heavy snowfalls. At home, we are due 6-10 inches overnight Tuesday into Wednesday. I just hope my son can get his dogs back before the next one that is due on Sunday. ugh ugh ugh

I will at least be able to start collecting items for my project. Margo

o

Hey Peggy! LOL WOW what a game yesterday, hugh??!! Super exciting! Im sure your Seattle Seahawks gnome was loving every minute of it!! ha ha ha... So happy you are enjoying him, I sure enjoyed that swap =) Thanks for thinking of me, we are getting hit this week with 3 snowstorms coming in...so went out to get some rock salt and few other things...came home and couldnt even get up our driveway, LOL. Fun Fun Fun.... Cant wait for SPRING! =)

Jayeanne

o

You've got my creative energy fired up. A self-portrait?! Sounds like that art class in junior high!
I wintersowed coneflowers, astilbe and foxglove. Now, don't think for a minute that meant 3 containers. I've got about 25 containers. My track record isn't good with Wintersowing. Last year they all dried out. Still not sure how that happened, but I'm trying to keep a closer eye on things this year. My Gaillardia is sprouting indoors so I have something to hem and haw over! The variety I really wanted to sprout has only produced 2 little babies-Oranges & Lemons. Oh well, we'll keep trying.

o

Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 7:39

Good Morning!

Margo, safe journey home, be careful!

I can't make up my mind between "self portrait" and "abstract". Might not be a whole lot of difference!

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Shirley,
Help me out here. Can we use tape, glue, a needle and thread? Wondering how to keep the parts together!
Jeanne

o

Well, I arrived home in front of the storm. It is now snowing heavy and we are due 10 inches on top of what we already have. It is to snow all night into the morning.

I am going to start collecting my upcycling items and come up with an idea. I don't plan on leaving the house anytime soon. :)

Margo

o

Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 21:41

Oh Good Grief! Yes, Jeanne, you can use whatever it takes to hold your upcycles together! Can't believe I didn't think to include that, Sorry!

Margo, it's snowing here too. Not much yet, but it supposed to keep snowing until around noon tomorrow. My daughter told me the Dayton area was only supposed to get two inches. What's up with that? And I guess the east coast got hit bad again.

I am so looking forward to Spring. This is the longest, coldest winter I can remember.

Stay safe and warm, everybody,
Shirley!

o

We got 2" of snow out here in central Nebraska. We're happy to get it. The entire state is below zero today and for the next day or so. It's sunny now...just cold and the roads are slick.
Jeanne, you can only use leftover coffee grounds and 2nd day macaroni and cheese to hold your art together. (just kidding) That did make me think!
Heidi

o

Shirley, your comment from yesterday,
"I can't make up my mind between "self portrait" and "abstract". Might not be a whole lot of difference!"

LOL!!!! I thought the very same thing!!

Off to do more wintersowing and contemplate my artistic deficiencies.....and come up with a plan! FUN!!!

Stay warm FOTESSERS!!

Annie

o

Hey Beth, I totally understand about not being crafty! Hmmmm, a self portrait would be fun and in the end funny looking. LOL

I'll start this weekend.

We ended up with 8" of the white stuff.
Sharon

o

Wintersowing under snow photo 20140205wintersowingundersnow_zpsa222bf56.jpg
Wintersowing under the snow

Heidi

o

Lots of ups and downs in the temperature here in SC. Today was really nice and my husband helped me so I could plant my first 10 winter sowing jugs. Heidi, yours are definitely experiencing winter!

Jeanne

o

Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 22:46

Sharon, that's just about what we got too. I hope this is the end!
Heidi, that looks so cold! Do you like pop bottles; I don't seem to have luck with them, tho what the difference is, I can't tell.
Jeanne, glad you could get started. What did you sow? How are you feeling?
Annie, I've decided on a "self portrait", want to use Q tips for the hair, but can't figure out how to turn them grey. And should I do my profile or a front face view? Oh decisions, decisions!
Margo, are you snowed in?
Well, off to bed, have a great day tomorrow, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, kind of snowed in today. Since we were under a level two, meaning the roads are dangerous so do not go out unless you absolutely have to, I stayed inside. We did not open the store today. I wasnt scheduled so I didn't lose hours but if the don't lift the level two by morning, I will lose hours since I am scheduled 10 to 6. I will need to go in to check mail and do a deposit so just might stick around and get some stuff done. That way I will be there if they change it to a level one.

We got about ten inches last night and the drifts were pretty deep. My husband spent a couple hours making a path for the cars to get to the garage. I spent most of the day with a nasty headache so did not get my project started but will start on sunday.

Margo

o

I just read through this and I can't wait to see what everyone looks like, lol.

o

Looking forward to the "up cycle" project.. It will be fun to see what people come up with.

We have stepped into the Ice age... again.. but just fridged cold... will stick around for another week.. or so the weatherman says..

We have a new puppy... 8 wks old and he was a big crybaby from 4:30 this morning till Dau got up with him.. I was able to doze back to sleep for a short while but still... my eyes are heavy this afternoon. He is my daughters pup but I get to keep him on schedule until she comes home from school.

Yes everyone I know was very happy with the Seahawks winning the Superbowl. Apparently 700,000 people went to Seattle yesterday for their big party (I wasn't one of them). From what I heard ... no arrest were made during the time of the celebration.. I hope that that statistic holds true.

So now it is American Idol season... and pretty soon it will be time to plant the garden..

Hope you all are keeping warm and enjoying the "silent" scream of winter.

o

Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 21:07

"We have stepped into the Ice Age...." How true. We're back to sub zero temps again.

The Q tips aren't working, I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Have a safe, warm day tomorrow,

Shirley!

o

Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 20:01

All Righty! Here is one of the pics of "Q tip hair".

This is NOT my self portrait for the swap.

Should I -
1. Go with one of these, and color the swab parts?
2. Sleep on it and do some re-arranging?
3. Dump the Q tips and try a brillo pad?

This might be harder than I thought it would be.
The one on the right resembles me as I look on Friday at 4.

Shirley!

o

Shirley,
You are so funny! However, that would be the right hair color for me.
Is anyone else a fan of the Winter Olympics? I'll be busy watching them for the next 2 weeks or so. I've enjoyed hearing about Russian history and seeing more of the country. So far the coverage is really good.
Jeanne

o

Shirley, I say nix the brillo pad idea. I kind of like the qtips!
Yikes, I better get going on this project.... I'm feeling left behind.

Jeanne, While I'm not too much into the winter Olympics, they are my favorite between the two.

My daughter just loves the Olympics and I'm sure is glued to the telly as much as possible.
Oh, since you mentioned the Russian History, I thought you might like this. Where my daughter lives .... law fraternity, men and women .... there are several people who have Russian ethnicity. Oh, and the whole Frat is going to celebrate/watch the Olympics as much as possible. So they have several things planned. Tonight the Russian descendants are fixing a Russian Dinner and will talk of what they know of Russia either through their own experiences or their parents. After dinner, they will .... WATCH THE OLYMPICS ... and party a little. LOL
College Kids .... I think they have the most fun!
Sharon

o

Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 20:33

Well, I'm not going to totally scrap the Q tip idea, but have some other things in mind. I'm thinking cup cake papers would make a good ruffle for around the neck, if I were the "ruffles around the neck" type person. Anybody have any ideas yet?

Very cold here today. Just finished snowing, we got about another inch.

Sharon, sounds like the kids will have a great time. Would love to hear the stories, wouldn't you?

Have a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, you really are creative and a bit hilarious as well. :)

Did you get much snow last night? We were in Taylor last night where we met our friends for dinner. Got a chance to stop at the Christmas Shoppe and picked up a fairy garden set, came with a pot as well as table, chair, glider type chair, bird bath, trellis, and three miniature gardening tools all for 12.99.

Snowed all the way home and it wasn't an easy drive. This morning, the weather people were saying we got three inches but it was six here. I can't believe how much snow we have on the ground. The wind is very low so it is absolutely gorgeous out.

I am about to get started on my project. Have a good Sunday all. Margo

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 15:11

We got about 2 inches last night, Margo, and about 3 today. Quit snowing about noon, the sun came out and yes, it looks gorgeous out there! Still really cold tho.

Trying to finish up Valentines and B-day presents for my son-in-law and granddaughter. Joe's birthday is the 12th, Tabs is the 13th and of course, Valentine's Day right after! Gets a bit tricky!

Off to finish up and hopefully, clear my dining room table!
Shirley!

o

Good grief, it is snowing again. Enough already.

Started my project and I must say, I quite enjoyed creating my upcycled work of art. My husband is quite impressed. I need to add a couple more small details and I will be done.

Other than working on my project, I've been having a lazy day and enjoying being lazy. I have to work extra thiscweek so deserve it. :) margo

o

Looking for signs of spring? I found the first of the crocous yesterday. Just makes me wish I had some pussy willows to bring inside. Anybody doing that? In MD I always brought pussy willows and forsythia in to get an early breath of spring.
Sounds like old man winter is not finished with the mid west OR the East Coast yet. Hang in there ladies. Hopefully all this moisture will yield a beautiful spring and summer

o

Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 19:39

Bless you, Beth, for posting that picture, it was a pretty day here today, but still, that pic gives me hope!

Decisions, decisions - full face view or profile?
Were buttons on the list?

Shirley!

o

If I could find my pussy willows, I would bring them in and force bloom but they and most of all my other smaller bushes are swallowed in drifts. Serious drifts. We have a tree that is about 12 feet tall that has a drift circling it and that drift is about 5 feet tall. My husband had put chicken wire around the tree and all the other bushes and trees to keep the bunnies from munching in the winter months. Most everything is hidden by the drifts but they have been climbing up the drift and nibbling the tree. Darn bunnies.

They are talking more snow this weekend and some are saying 6-12 inches. Not again!!!! I can't take any more. Margo

o

Margo, I sat her laughing about my mental picture of your hungry bunnies. JAck asked "what's so funny" then he got a chuckle from my version of your story too. Reminds us both of when we were young and LOTS of snow was the normal winter.
Seems you just can't stay ahead of hungry critters.
Shirley. I'm going to post a trial run here of my project. Hope that is OK Not sure if it was ok to use clothes like I did. Let me know what you think please

o

Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 15:30

Beth, that's fine, clotheswise - love the hair, beats Q tips by a mile!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 20:49

Very quiet here on the site, hope that means that everyone is busy working on their Upcycle Art Work! We still have over a full week to post.

I hope to get mine done this weekend - 4 days off!! Can't wait. Want to finish my WSing, need to shovel a space for them! And, one more time, organize my seeds, trying to plan where everything is going to go in the Spring - I find that even the least amount of organization really helps, doesn't seem so overwhelming when Spring finally gets here. Not that I ever stick to a game plan when it comes to planting!

Have a great day tomorrow, Everybody!
Shirley!

o

Beth,Wow to your self portrait .... Thought you said you weren't creative? I see creativity just shining from your picture.

Shirley, when you said we could use one object not listed, does that mean we could use it several times?

o

Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 15:21

Sharon - Yes! You can use any items from the list as many times as needed. Example: I am working on a necklace made of twisty ties, lots and lots of twisty ties!
Just home from work, coffee is calling, be back later!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 7:29

Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day!
Hope everyone has a Sweet Day!
Shirley!

o

Happy Valentine's day to all my GW friends.

My project is about done. I will be posting my picture the beginning of the week.

Hope everyone out east is safe and warm. Margo

o

Happy Valentine's Day!
We're a bit snowed/iced in for today so maybe my husband and I will do something special tomorrow for Valentine's Day. This was our second storm in 2 weeks so that groundhog was right. At least our power didn't go out and I've been having fun watching the Olympics.
Margo, I too have been working on my project. It will be interesting to see what everyone creates. I hope to have the picture posted this weekend. It's nearly complete.
I admit - I don't know what category I will say it is. All I know is it is not a self-portrait!
Enjoy the day.
Jeanne

o

You have to think of this as a Picasso version of Heidi. I noticed for two weeks I have thought of Q Tips every day! lol Notice the seed pod nose! And the hair, cup cake papers, is the thick, rich full hair I want to have in my new body in heaven, not this limp stuff I have now. The eyebrows are very realistic...not thin and cute! The straw mouth is smiling to remind me to see the bright side, even if I need to staple on the smile to keep from complaining!
 photo 201402upcycleart_zps8b711741.jpg

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 9:10

And we have our first official entry in the FOTESS Upcycled Art Show!

Heidi! Great Job! I have always pictured you smiling, so that comes as no surprise! And I love the hair and eyebrows, even if it did send me back to the drawing board to add eyebrows to mine! Makes ya wonder what else I'm forgetting!

We still have a full week to post our Art Work. I'll be asking ALL FOTESS members to come in and vote for their favorite in each category, but that won't be until the last week of February. From the sounds of things, we might only have one category, self portrait, but that's okay, I have a game plan for that!

I'm doing some sewing/altering today, some of this stuff has been setting around forever! Time to make some progress with this project!

Have a great day All!
Shirley!

o

Well, after two winter storms this month and the snow/sleet/ice still in the process of melting from the second one, what more could Mother Nature throw our way - an earthquake! It happened around 10:30 p.m. last evening. I've only felt one once before and both times they were more of a rumble than a concern, but still...

Love your smiling face, Heidi. Great job!

Jeanne

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 13:29

Good Grief, Jeanne, an earthquake? In South Carolina? No damage, I'm guessing, "but still!"
Hope you are safe, and that it doesn't happen again anytime soon!
Shirley!

o

Oh my, I need to start on my project!!!

Jeanne, earthquakes in South Carolina!!! Did it scare the heck out of you?

Happy Day!! Must run!

Annie

o

Annie, actually it didn't click for me what it was. I was watching the Olympics and it was a bit of a scare, but I didn't realize it was an earthquake until they broke in on the TV coverage of the Olympics to say there had been an earthquake. There was a rumbling noise and a slight shaking of the ground. I guess it was centered about 50 miles from here and was a 4.1. Apparently earthquakes in this area are felt very far from the center. They say this one was felt into Georgia and the southern part of NC as well as here in SC. I felt one once before here - maybe it was in the late 1980's. They are very rare here though.

Anyway, the big reveal! Here is my art project. I guess I'll say it goes in the abstract category. I like quilting so that was sort of the basis for it. As for what I used most of it is cut from pages in a gardening catalog (I think that's a type of magazine), fabric yoyos (my something I had around the house), ribbon, and the yellow flower is made from a cupcake paper, coffee filter, and some tulle ribbon.

I hope the artwork brings some Springtime fun your way. When I loaded this picture on the computer I also loaded my pictures of the ice storm, so I may post one or two of those later.

Enjoy the weekend!
Jeanne

o

Fun with a little anxiety mixed in .... that is how this project affected me! I'll never be an artist.
I'm thinking I should post what I used where ....
and what it says about me.

Hair - Brown Bag. - always a little out of place.
Hair Clip - cupcake paper with wrapping paper cut-out.(Hugs to all of you!)
Eyebrows and nose - Fish buttons (I like fried fish)
Eyes - buttons (I collect buttons .... and I will use them in EVERY project if you let me.LOL)
Eye lashes - twist ties
Cheeks and mouth - magazine cut-out hearts
Earrings - Q-tips (dangling blue earrings are my favorite)
Necklace - twist ties and coffee filter (naw, I don't where many necklaces, but wanted to get the coffee filter in there somewhere)
Clothes - really old greeting card and seed package (I feed the birds and I love tomatoes and it says I garden ... right?)

I left out all the wrinkles. lol

Now that I finally have this done, I will go back and read all the posts.

Really Shirley, it was fun. I love going through my buttons and you gave me an excuse. And I'm so artistically challenged, that I hardly ever do anything creative .... well except for gardening. :o)

o

Jeanne, I hadn't heard of your earthquake, I'm glad it wasn't bad. I remember the 1980's quake, supposedly we could feel it all the way up here in Michigan. Some people said they heard a boom ... I don't think anyone here FELT anything. I didn't hear it or feel it.

The Quilt is Beautiful, looks just like a real one!

Heidi, the Picasso version of Heidi is Wonderul. I love your use of small hearts for eyebrows and the
STAPLED ON SMILE is so true for us all at times!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of our back deck, see all the snow on the table. I live just 15/20 minutes north of Shirley. This picture was taken last week.

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 20:56

Whoa, you all are really getting into the spirit of this swap! Nicely done, Sharon and Jeanne!

Jeanne, I wondered if you would use your quilting skills; that is quite pretty! Very creative!

Sharon, great hair! And the fish eyebrows, how good is that?! Great use of stuff off the list!

And that's pretty much what my backyard looks like too. It is supposed to get much warmer next week, so I'm putting off my WSing, yet again, in the hopes that some of what is back there melts off and I don't have to shovel a space to set all the jugs in. I think I'm running out of time here.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend,
Shirley!

o

What great self portraits. I wasn't brave enough to attempt that. Here are two pictures from our sleet/snow/ice/freezing rain storm earlier this week. I think I need to post twice to get 2 pictures on here. The wintry stuff is just about gone now.
Jeanne

o

This is the railing on our front porch. You can sort of see the layers that accumulated.
Jeanne

o

Ok, here's my entry in the "pretty picture" category.

The vase is made from-
magazines ripped and glued
The flowers are made from-
coffee filters, napkins, and plastic bags they put the daily newspaper in.
The flower centers are-
Q-tips colored with scented markers
The stems are-
napkins cut and glued
The bee is-
napkin formed and glued then felt tip pen used for stripes

I thought the scented markers were a good idea because they scented the flowers. Lol

Margo

o

Just wanted to stop by and say you ladies are very creative! I just love looking at all the art work =) Margo that is absolutely beautiful!! LOVE that bee!! Looks so SPRING-Y!!

Jayeanne

o

That's beautiful, Margo. So much creativity!

o

I have no idea why every time I post a picture here, it comes out sideways. If I click on it, it will come out straight up so not sure if that will work for the rest of you.

Margo

o

Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:36

Margo, that is beautiful! Very creative!

Well, we have artwork from Margo, Heidi, Sharon, and Jeanne. Still to come will be artwork from Peggy, Annie, Beth and myself. We still have all next week to post, so don't panic!

Happy President's Day, All!
Shirley!

o

Margo, very colorful and pretty .... Makes me think of spring.
Sharon

o

WOW! I'm impressed with the creativity. Beautiful work here.
Jeanne your storm picture and your project are beautiful

o

Shirley, ready for more snow!

o

Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 9:05

Sharon, we're supposed to get 5 inches, I'm so pleased - NOT! All these negative thoughts are running thro my head, like: Stop it! or Enough already! or Cut it out! or More? or I hate this! This is sad, but the only positive thoughts I can come up with are: It can't last forever (can it?), and, it should be pretty in the early morning before the snow plows get busy.

Margo, what's your forecast? I hope everyone out East and down South are doing okay, they have had the worst of all of this.

Oh, another positive thought just hit: it's the middle of February already! YAY!!

Working on my eyebrows for my self portrait. Tricky proposition!

Have a great day, Ladies,
Shirley!

o

Introducing Beth The bag Lady.. ta da
Head, hair, hat,hand, and bib overalls are brown paper bags.
Bandana is a paper towel,hat band is sewing braid,
face and book are magazines
glasses are foil
extra, is my favorite winter shirt.

o

Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 12:55

Beth, that's wonderful! Really great! I think we might have to add a "Special" award for the most creative use of paper bags! Love the overalls!

And the bar just keeps rising higher and higher!

No snow yet, wish it would just do it and get it over with, I'm pacing from window to window, the suspense is killing me!

Shirley!

o

Dearest Ms. Shirley of Southeby's Art,
It's with great honor we RSVP to the Fotess Art Show. Your pieces are so intriguing! (Notice the better-than-you tone in my voice, just a whisper below haughty). When my husband gets back from his yacht club we may be interested in the Bee and Bouquet piece. Our art budget isn't want it used to be, but as long as your starting bid is under $250,000 we'll consider it for the second rec room of our third house. It would match the credenza we picked up in Munich.
Oh, and that piece Paper Bag Beth is so ostentatious! Reminds me of the famous works of that French sculptor who ate crickets, but I regress. To be the first of our friends to own a Kodiak is likening it to a Cadillac!
Please reserve a bidding paddle for us!
Au Revoir!

o

Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 16:19

Actually, Heidi, I prefer to deal with Christie's. Sotheby's is so..so...gauche'.

I have never heard of a sculptor who ate crickets, but my first guesses would be Giacometti or Brancusi. Or Calder.

Merci beau coup (?) (my French is a little rusty, at best)
off to play bunco,
Shirley!

o

Great work, Beth!

o

My project is in the works.......started out as one thing...kind of.... and has gone down another road. I am laughing and loving everyones art!!!!

Shirley, I will post the picture of my creation on Saturday, the 22nd. I am not around the next couple of days!

Happy Wednesday....off to work on my upcycle thingie.

Annie

o

Beth, I got the biggest chuckle reading the title of your entry .... Beth The bag Lady .... a little coffee even spurted out of my nose .... OW!
Yep, I agree, very creative with the use of all those bags!

Oh Heidi, your THIRD home sounds like a dream!
sharon

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 20:39

Well, here is my Self Portrait, which came really close to the real thing, by the way!

I used:
Aluminum foil for the hair, with a few brown ribbon strands thrown in;
the eyes and the mouth are buttons;
the glasses are two paper clips, colored black;
the turtleneck is some old ribbon;
the eyelashes are from the middle of a silk flower;
the background is gift wrap;
the blush is Cover Girl- Cheekers-Soft Sable;
the head is green card stock, you don't want to know;
and the earring is a Q-tip, colored with gold glitter glue-the vision was a lot better than the executing!

This was fun, altho the earring drove me nuts.

Still does.

We still have two pieces of Art to come;
Saturday, I'll be asking all our members to vote. You will have a week to place your votes.
Can't wait to see what Peggy and Annie have to show us!

Off to finish the laundry,
Shirley!

o

Shirley--so great! I noticed your original Q-tip hair and silver hair have a certain vertical quality to them. The silver is so much better!
I want you to know you've ruined me. I have thought more about Q-tips this month than in my whole life. I find myself thinking about them when I'm driving, when I'm washing clothes, all the time... and while I didn't include them in my art it wasn't for lack of thought. It's taking over!!!! Love the Q-tip earring, though.
Heidi

o

Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 18:08

Sorry, Heidi, would it help to know that they were the el cheepo dollar store Q tips? No?

Ladies, we have one more day to post our art work! The voting starts on Sunday!

I am going to finish my WSing this weekend if it kills me. This is getting silly, wish me luck,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, LOVE IT!

o

Shirley...LOL! Love it!

I have to run out for a bit and then will post my pic!

Annie

o

I will put this in the "abstract" category!

I present to you my "WHIMSY HANDBAG".......

The bag body is reversible gift wrap
The center pink part is gift wrap
The handle is thin tissue wrap
The dog part on the handle is from a magazine with greeting card and a red paper plate for ANNIE
Ribbon is all over the place
Flowers are aluminum foil and sheer wrapping paper
Cocktail Napkins are used all over the place...
Red dots are paper plates
Chard and Tomato are commercial seed packs
Box top for CAMEL cigarettes
Twist tie for center of flower next to tomato
Center of flowers are tips of Q-Tips with black marker
And of course my Annie hand holds the old bag!

Not exactly what I thought it would be....but it was fun doing it! LOL!

Happy Saturday!

o

Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 19:22

Annie! What a great, and different, interpretation! Very pretty, and it sure tells a lot about you!

"I sweep the room with a glance" I do a lot of that! Hilarious!

So far, we have 2 abstracts, 1 pretty picture and 4 self portraits. I am going to leave this open for another day, as we haven't heard from Peggy yet. So I'll be emailing everyone for voting tomorrow afternoon, okay? Get ready, ladies!

Some good news: I am DONE with Wintersowing! I put out 5 flats and 3 large clear jugs today, very glad that is out of my way!

Talk to ya all tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, this was such a fun swap. It brought out the inner artist in all of us and there is a lot of talent. It's going to be hard to vote.

Margo

o

Annie, what a great creation!

Shirley, your self portrait is very creative, too. For a minute I was wondering why you were green, but I get it now! It seems you are finished early with winter sowing, but good for you. I usually just begin in February and keep going until it is way too hot to put seeds in those milk jugs. How many containers did you sow?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Jeanne

o

Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 12:34

Is Everyone ready to start voting? Here we go!

Everyone who is a member of FOTESS can vote. I'll be emailing all of you shortly with an invitation to the voting!

You will be voting for 1st place, 2nd place and honorable mentions in each category, and Best in Show - your favorite from all the entries.

We had 3 categories:
Pretty Picture: This has already been won by Margo, not only because it was a beautiful picture, but she was the only one to enter that category. However, Margo is still eligible for the Best in Show Award. Congratulations, Margo!

Abstract: Jeanne and Annie have entries in this category and it's going to be hard to choose a winner. They are both creative and pretty!

Self Portrait: Entries for this category come from Heidi, Sharon, Beth and Me. Again, some hard choices here!

PLEASE EMAIL ME THRO GW OR MY REGULAR EMAIL WITH YOUR VOTING RESULTS. DO NOT POST THEM HERE ON THE SWAP!

Please post here when you have voted, BUT NOT WHO YOU VOTED FOR. Voting will be held until Saturday, March 1st, with winners being announced that night.

Okay, I've already made a mistake in the emailing!
For Self Portraits, you will be voting for:
1st prize
2nd prize
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention

Sorry bout that!

Please let me know if you don't get my email about voting!
Have fun!
Shirley

This post was edited by sjc48 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:17

o

I voted. Let me know if you don't get it.
Thanks for the creative way we spent our snowy month of February.

Jeanne

o

We got enough snow to cancel church today so I'm here ready to vote...but I'm not telling because I'm not going to get in trouble with Shirley!
A guy in our church has a digital thermometer that keeps track of highs and lows for 30 days. In the last month we've had a 90+ degree difference. It was -25 and got up to 70 above. Whew!
My husband went to school 4 years ago and become an airplane mechanic. He lived in New York for several months, then only saw us on weekends. For a year he has worked at a ho-hum job with nothing to do with airplanes or mechanics. Friday he started at our local airport as a mechanic. It had to be God's doing. He's so happy (imagine him playing all weekend in his giant toolbox) My oldest daughter is a junior, starting national guard and we went to visit a college close to here (the one I went to). She did NOT want to go there, but after the tour she was excited about it. I, of course, felt very old after the tour. ha How many times in 5 hours can you think, "In the olden days..." So Shirley, here come my votes!
Heidi

o

Really good job everyone! Much better than I could have done. I voted, Shirley. Thank you!

o

It's been fun, and I have voted.
sharon

o

Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 7:58

Good Morning!
Thanks to Jeanne, Heidi, Sharon and Sheri for posting. I got votes from Jeanne, Sheri, Peggy. Beth and Sharon, thanks, Ladies!

GMom/Sharon, the email I sent you came back to me, please vote anyway, okay? Sorry bout that!

Heidi, great luck for your husband, I'll bet he is happy!
I felt very old when I visited my granddaughter's kindergarten class, boy, have things changed since her Mom was that age!

Margo, I got your email, when did you go to Texas? How is Braydon? Please post pictures!

Off to work,
Talk to ya all later,
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 8:36

o

Enjoyed all the artwork ladies! Awesome job! I voted Shirley and sent them to your email =)
I saw my first robin on Friday morning! and more snow coming in tomorrow, LOL I hope Spring is just around the corner.
Jayeanne

o

What a great project! Everyone's artwork is so unique and fun! Great work ladies! I have sent in my vote... it's so hard to vote when they are all great.

I am ready for spring, but it's snowing again here.

Mandy

o

Shirley, arrived last wednesday evening and head back tomorrow. Went fast but very fulfilling. I mentioned in my letter that my sons girlfriend suffered a seizure yesterday morning. She had what they thought was a lesion on her brain. They feared it was cancer but diagnosed it this morning as a blood clot and has started her blood thinners and will be fine. Thank goodness. It was a pretty scary 24 hours. They believe her birth control med is the culprit.

Will vote on wednesday. Margo

o

Hi all! So sorry I missed this :( Everything just got so busy after new years...I need to settle down and have some GW time before I go nutty. hahaha

Shirley, thanks for the email. I just voted. You are all so talented.

Loved looking at all the art! Amazing idea!!

Have a great day!
vina

o

Shirley, I emailed you my votes.

Margo, enjoy young man Braydon...safe travels home!

It probably will hit 80 degrees today...but...we are on STORMWATCH...Rain is supposed to be headed our way Thursday, Friday and Saturday...maybe 2-3 inches. We will see.............it sure would be nice!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 19:32

Evening All!
Thanks to Jayeanne, Vina, Annie, Mandy and Melinda for voting! And thanks to all who posted. I appreciate the time you all took to vote and post!

So far, two members haven't received the email about voting. I am sorry, this new Yahoo thing is driving me nuts. Who asked for it anyway? In any event, please let me know and please come on the swap and get the voting instructions and then please vote! Lots of pleases in there!

Hope you get the rain, Annie!

Margo, he is such a doll! Glad you got out there to see him!
I hope all is going well with your son's girlfriend, that had to be scary!

Vina, Mandy and Melinda, nice to hear from you all!

Jayeanne, I've been seeing robins too! Isn't it a tad bit early?

Cold, sunshiny day here today. A snow flurry here and there and that's all, and that's fine with me!
Shirley!

o

hi
hope it is not too late to vote, will send email soon
michelle

o

Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 8:43

Got your email, Michelle, thanks for voting!
We've had a great response to the voting, so far!
Thank you, Ladies!

The voting will continue all week, until Saturday, so there is still plenty of time!

Off to work,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I sent you my votes through regular email, not GW on Sunday.
Heidi

o

I tried to send my votes by GW email and it rejects your address. You might check that out Shirley.
Heidi

o

Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 14:34

Hi Heidi, not sure what is going on; I've received other votes via GW. One thing I can think of - this new yahoo crap sometimes "piggy backs" entries: I'll get one message with another message hidden behind it. Doesn't happen all the time BUT I may have deleted yours unawares. Sorry! When you have time, could you send again thro my regular email? Thanks!

Has anyone else sent via GW that I haven't mentioned yet?
Please let me know.

Heidi, I'm going to go to your page and try emailing you. Just to check things out. Let me know if you get it and Thanks for bringing this to my attention,
Shirley!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 19:36

Shirley, I just emailed you my votes. Talk about some stiff competition!

This past weekend brought us gorgeous weather. I got a jump start on winter sowing back in Oct/Nov. So you know what that means?! Half my WS jogs have sprouts now! I'm especially excited about my jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) sprouts. They can be a real PITA to grow from seed, based on what I've read. So, SUCCESS!!

o

Shirley, just sent my votes in. Thanks for hosting such a fun swap. This was very creative on your part as well as the members.

Margo

o

Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 21:03

Thanks for posting, Margo and Heidi! Got the votes and they are factored in!

Heidi, any news?

Some voting news:
Everyone has received at least one vote for best in show!
There appears to be a clear winner in the Self Portrait category, pity I can't say more until Saturday.
There are only 11 members who haven't voted yet, how great is that?!
I got Sue Grafton's new book "W" today. I am saving it to award myself, just in case I win anything!
None of the rest of you are getting a book. Sorry.
Could I sound any meaner?

I think it's time for bed.
Oh, Katie, congrats on the Jewell weed; I feel the same about my two lonely Lantana sprouts!
Shirley!
Heidi, just got your votes! Thanks, and sorry bout all the confusion!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 21:11

o

I sent you my votes, Shirley. That was NOT easy!
Alana

o

Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 20:06

Thanks for posting, Alana! We had some serious contenders, didn't we?

Very cold here today, colder tomorrow, and lots of snow over the weekend. Can hardly wait.

Have a great day tomorrow, All,
Shirley!

o

Shirley, there definitely are some serious contenders. It was a tough vote for me to do.

Lets hope that snow goes south as they think it might. As I think I mentioned to you in my note, the kids are coming in from Texas on Friday morning and they fly back Sunday out of Detroit airport at 7 pm. That would be right in the midst of the bad weather if it were to hit. Can you imagine sitting at an airport on a delay with a 4 month old. He's a happy baby but not sure how he would handle that.

Glad too hear so many members have voted.

Yeah on your success Katie of your baby sprouters.

Margo

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 8:49

Morning, Everybody!
I know I'm REALLY late with this, but
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to Melinda and Sheri!
Hope you both had great days!

Sharon/gmom, I just emailed you again, let me know if you get it, okay? Thanks!

Margo, we got a little snow last night. The wind is terrible right now. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they are predicting. I'm home today, fighting off a cold. Wish me luck, don't need colds right now!
Have a great day, All,
Shirley!

o

Thank you, Shirley!

o

Belated Happy, Happy Birthday wishes to Sheri and Melinda!!!!!

Shirley, take care of yourself!!!!

I agree with you all.....very difficult picking the best art/best of show. I must confess, I changed my mind a few times!

Rain came to town last night....sounds so beautiful as I type. Yes, the weathermen got it right this time.....Friday and Saturday are supposed to bring us heavy rain. No complaints, as we need the wet stuff!!

Enjoy your day!

Annie

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 11:25

Great job everyone. Very creative.
I sent my votes.

We're supposed to get to 80 degrees today.
Maybe I'll do a little work outside.

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 20:49

Evening, All!

Sorry I was MIA yesterday, spent the day on the couch with some Ibuprophen and heated wine w/honey - still feeling a little dopey from that! But at least the cold made no appreciable progress!

Thanks for posting, Ruth, nice to hear from ya and your votes have been added to the mix! 80 sure sounds nice.

Annie, hope you aren't anywhere near the floods and landslides, that doesn't sound too great; hope you are safe.

One day left to vote, I'll post the winners tomorrow evening! I have to tell you, it's a really close race with Best in Show!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, hope you are feeling better today.

Our visit with the kids has been great. Picked them up from the airport yesterday about 11:30 and headed straight over to visit my mom in the nursing home. She had no knowledge the kids were in town. She was so thrilled to meet her first great grandchild. We spent an hour with her then headed back to visit Grandpa. He was kind of out of it being 94 but we were able to get our four generation picture. Then back to our house to meet some aunts and uncles and close friends. They then left here and went to her parents for the night. We all met this morning for Brayden's baptism the a nice lunch together. All Brayden did was smile, sleep, eat, and coo through the whole darn visit. They head back home tomorrow night so if the snow isn't too bad, we will meet them for lunch. We were two two rounds of snow but the second round isn't coming this far apparently. That ok as far as I am concerned.

Looking forward to the finals results of the art show. Margo

o

Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 19:47

Evening, Everyone!

Margo, glad the visit went well! I'm praying for good weather for the return trip tomorrow, especially getting out of Michigan!

And now for the FOTESS Recycled/Upcycled Art Show results! I'm not sure how this worked out so well, but I'm sure glad it did - we all won something!

First Prize in Pretty Picture - Margo
First Prize in Abstract - Jeanne
2nd Prize in Abstract - Annie
First Prize in Self Portrait - Beth
2nd Prize in Self Portrait - Sharon
Honorable Mention/Self Portrait - Heidi
Honorable Mention/Self Portrait - Shirley - YAY, I get to read the book!!
There was a three way tie for 2nd place/self portraits and Sharon got that one vote that put her over the top - it was the goldfish eyebrows that did it!

And now for BEST IN SHOW!! (Drum roll, please!)
BAG LADY BETH!!
Congratulations, Beth! Good job, especially on the overalls!

And congratulations to all of us! Everybody did a super job of recycling/upcycling! Great effort on everyone's part!

And I want to send lots of thanks out to everyone who took the time to vote. I really appreciate it! 17 of our members voted! That is so great, Thank you, Thank you, Ladies!

I'll be sending prizes out on Monday or Tuesday, depending on the weather. Hope everyone had fun with this swap, I know I did, even with the Q tips!

I'll be posting the March FOTESS swap next week as soon as I get the prizes for this one mailed out. Hope to see lots of our members join in!

Once again, thanks, Everyone, for making this swap a success, and congratulations to all our winners!
Shirley!

o

Old Bag Beth.....well deserved best of show and best self portrait! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations also to Margo for best Pretty Picture and Jeanne for best Abstract!

Congratulations to all of us who participated....FUN! FUN! FUN!

Shirley, thank you again for hosting!!!! We must do this again!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

o

Congratulations to all of the winners! You are some seriously talented FOTESSettes.
Alana

o

Congratulations everyone! This was such fun. Thanks to all that voted as well.

Shirley, snow was pretty light compared to what they said was going to come. Made it up to Toledo to see the kids one more time and have lunch together with our daughter in laws parents as well as my daughter and son in law. So much fun and our little Brayden did so well throughout this weekend. They are lucky, lucky parents.

Thank you again Shirley for the fabulous fun this month. I hope we can do something like this again sometime in the future.

Margo

o

What Fun! Now I can no longer say " I never win anything"
Girls, I am both shocked and flattered. We had so many cute clever and fun creations .... it was hard to choose an I would NOT have picked mine. I liked it much better with the evergreen hair but could not get it to stay on with the paper hat. LOL. Glad the bib overhalls did it cause they are so "me"
We have company and have been out touring/site seeing will post some photos tomorrow.
Margo, glad you had a fun visit. Family is everything and on that note I'm sending prayers and best wishes to Melinda and her grandson.

o

Thanks again Shirley for this FUN month! Sure was different!

Beth, congrats girl ... Or should I say 'BAG LADY'? Let's hope that is not a name that sticks with you!

Congrats to the 1st placers ... Beth, Margo, Jeanne!
3 very artistic Women!

Congrats to all of us for daring to participate ... LOL

Sharon

o

Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 21:32

Beth, thanks for the heads up about Melinda/ilovefarac and her grandson. I just lurked over onto the OBF site and, everybody, Melinda and her family really need some prayers right now.
Shirley

o

Congratulations on all the art work prizes, everyone.

I have a special moment to share. My new little granddaughter arrived today. Her first and middle names are Miranda Cadence. She was born today at 1:24 p.m. and weighs 6 lbs., 12 oz., and is 20 1/4 inches long. It will be even better to hold her in person. This will be different from triplets - eveyone will want to hold the baby and there won't be enough babies to go around. :-)
Enjoy the week.
Jeanne

o

Congratulations Jeanne, Good news is always very welcome. We visited Montezuma's Castle and Montezuma's Well. Both very interesting and worth the trip. This is known as the best preserved of the ancient Cliff Dwellings. Certainly the best and easiest one to see that I have ever visited..

o

Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 19:34

Congratulations, Jeanne! I love the name, hope all are doing well!

Beth, is that at Chaco Canyon? And thanks for the address info!

Well, it remained right around 0 here today, so I didn't get down to the Post Office to mail prizes, but I'll get it done this week, for sure. Everything is packed and ready to go!

I'll be posting the March Swap tomorrow evening, hope to see lots of you join in!

Off to do dishes and an early bedtime. Yeah, right!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 16:04

Happy end of the work day to All!! Lord, Lord, what a goofy day!

I hiked down to the Post Office this afternoon and got all the prizes for the swap mailed out! I have confirmation numbers if needed. Please let me know when you receive!

Coffee, I need coffee.
Shirley!

o

Coffee is ready, want a shot of mocha in in?
No, Shirley that is not Chaco Canyon. Have not made it to that one yet.
Started with Mesa Verde and really learned a lot there, then went to Canyon de Chelly. Quite a different feeling there but so beautiful.
I hope to make it to Toozigoot yet this spring. Many are closed while we are herein the winter. So it will take a while to see all the ones I want to visit.
Put your feet up and relax a bit. You earned a break :-)

o

Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 19:34

Thanks, Beth, I am back to normal!

I have to admit: my first knowledge of those areas out west came from reading Tony Hillerman, then lots of reading at the library and Wiki. I would love to be able to go out there. Isn't it amazing what those ancient people could do, without all of our modern machines and technology? If you have time, would love to see more pics.

Time for more dinner,
talk to ya all later,
Shirley!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:23

I'm just stopping by to check out and say CONGRATS to the winners and wanted to say 'hi' as well. DH and I went down to NOLA last Thursday to celebrate Mardi Gras with family. Now we are trying to re-adjust getting back to reality... hahaha.

Saw lots of parades; donned wild and crazy wigs, hairpieces, and facepaint; caught plenty of beads; and laughed whole-heartedly many, many times. I always say that my Mardi Gras is complete so long as I catch some doubloons, a beer koozie, and a strand of the elusive glass beads. There's just something about the good-natured silliness of Mardi Gras that really makes me laugh.

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:24

o

Hey, Shirley, I got my package in the mail. Thanks so much for the prize.. I didn't think 2nd place would deserve anything. LOL Mints and Iced coffee. LOL
I'll save the iced coffee for warmer times, but the mints are always welcome.
sharon

o

Shirley, received my prize today too. What a nice surprise. Mints, (been munching them already), blanketflower seeds, and a wax melt labeled "snow day". Smells great.

The best part was my magnet "Certificate of Excellence" that you made. What a nice idea and I love it.

Thanks so much. This was a great swap and you went beyond the call of duty with the prizes. Margo

o

Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 20:34

Hi Everyone, glad the prizes are arriving. Margo, I had fun doing the certificates - anything to get out of housework! Just kidding, kind of!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, the envelope of prizes arrived and , again, What fun!!!!!!
Awards for self portrait and Best in Show. Whooohooo. Something to celebrate
Decided to put one on the fridge here and the other will go to the new place
. I'm getting prints made of the picture for beside the award. Figure after all these years of never winning anything I better celebrate this.
Seeds for two types of beautiful columbines, seed baggies and a grapefruit scented melt.
Shirley you really went all out on this but it was such fun and worthy of celebration.

o

Oh Shirely, I had no idea I was getting a prize.....Thank you very much! Seed Baggies, Limara Lemon Cosmos and my 2nd place certificate magnet ...so cool!

Thanks for all the fun in February....so clever!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

o

Shirley,
Thank you so much for the prizes. I had forgotten about them and couldn't imagine what had arrived in the mail for me. The award certificate is wonderful and is hanging on my refrigerator. I was very excited about it. What a smart thing to do!
Miranda is one week old today. I'll try to add her picture to this post. It was taken yesterday and she's wearing her Gamecock outfit. She looks pretty sleepy in the picture so I doubt she watched much of the game!
Jeanne

o

Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:21

She is beautiful, Jeanne! And I'm sure she will pay more attention to the Gamecocks as she gets older. How sweet and peaceful she looks!
Shirley!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here