Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

NEW: new february fotess swap!

sjc48
10 years ago

FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps. You must be a member to participate, and if you are interested in joining FOTESS, please contact Jeanne or I. We would love to have you!

We're going to do an upcycling swap this month and I came up with two ways to play it. Couldn't make up my mind, So YOU get to choose!

If you sign up for this month's swap you can chose:

PLAN A - An Art Show, wherein you will be given a list of common household items and be asked to "upcycle" a work of art from them. You will choose from 3 different categories.
No mailing out for this swap. You will post a picture of your artwork and then you will vote for the ones you like best in each category.

PLAN B - An Upcycling Extravaganza, wherein you will be given a list of common household items and asked to upcycle them into something useful for your partner. You will be mailing them out.

Sign-ups are until Saturday, Jan. 31. When you sign up, please tell me which plan you would like to play this month. Whichever has the most votes is the one we'll play. So please be prepared to take part in either one, okay?

On Sunday, February 1, I'll post all the info for whichever plan is chosen.

Anyone ready for some major upcycling?
Shirley!

Comments (146)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is Everyone ready to start voting? Here we go!

Everyone who is a member of FOTESS can vote. I'll be emailing all of you shortly with an invitation to the voting!

You will be voting for 1st place, 2nd place and honorable mentions in each category, and Best in Show - your favorite from all the entries.

We had 3 categories:
    Pretty Picture: This has already been won by Margo, not only because it was a beautiful picture, but she was the only one to enter that category. However, Margo is still eligible for the Best in Show Award. Congratulations, Margo!

Abstract: Jeanne and Annie have entries in this category and it's going to be hard to choose a winner. They are both creative and pretty!

Self Portrait: Entries for this category come from Heidi, Sharon, Beth and Me. Again, some hard choices here!

PLEASE EMAIL ME THRO GW OR MY REGULAR EMAIL WITH YOUR VOTING RESULTS. DO NOT POST THEM HERE ON THE SWAP!

Please post here when you have voted, BUT NOT WHO YOU VOTED FOR. Voting will be held until Saturday, March 1st, with winners being announced that night.

Okay, I've already made a mistake in the emailing!
    For Self Portraits, you will be voting for:
    1st prize
    2nd prize
    Honorable Mention
    Honorable Mention

Sorry bout that!

Please let me know if you don't get my email about voting!
    Have fun!
    Shirley

This post was edited by sjc48 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:17

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

I voted. Let me know if you don't get it.
    Thanks for the creative way we spent our snowy month of February.

Jeanne

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

We got enough snow to cancel church today so I'm here ready to vote...but I'm not telling because I'm not going to get in trouble with Shirley!
    A guy in our church has a digital thermometer that keeps track of highs and lows for 30 days. In the last month we've had a 90+ degree difference. It was -25 and got up to 70 above. Whew!
    My husband went to school 4 years ago and become an airplane mechanic. He lived in New York for several months, then only saw us on weekends. For a year he has worked at a ho-hum job with nothing to do with airplanes or mechanics. Friday he started at our local airport as a mechanic. It had to be God's doing. He's so happy (imagine him playing all weekend in his giant toolbox) My oldest daughter is a junior, starting national guard and we went to visit a college close to here (the one I went to). She did NOT want to go there, but after the tour she was excited about it. I, of course, felt very old after the tour. ha How many times in 5 hours can you think, "In the olden days..." So Shirley, here come my votes!
    Heidi

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    10 years ago

Really good job everyone! Much better than I could have done. I voted, Shirley. Thank you!

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

It's been fun, and I have voted.
    sharon

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning!
    Thanks to Jeanne, Heidi, Sharon and Sheri for posting. I got votes from Jeanne, Sheri, Peggy. Beth and Sharon, thanks, Ladies!

GMom/Sharon, the email I sent you came back to me, please vote anyway, okay? Sorry bout that!

Heidi, great luck for your husband, I'll bet he is happy!
    I felt very old when I visited my granddaughter's kindergarten class, boy, have things changed since her Mom was that age!

Margo, I got your email, when did you go to Texas? How is Braydon? Please post pictures!

Off to work,
    Talk to ya all later,
    Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 8:36

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Enjoyed all the artwork ladies! Awesome job! I voted Shirley and sent them to your email =)
    I saw my first robin on Friday morning! and more snow coming in tomorrow, LOL I hope Spring is just around the corner.
    Jayeanne

• l1oness
    10 years ago

What a great project! Everyone's artwork is so unique and fun! Great work ladies! I have sent in my vote... it's so hard to vote when they are all great.

I am ready for spring, but it's snowing again here.

Mandy

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, arrived last wednesday evening and head back tomorrow. Went fast but very fulfilling. I mentioned in my letter that my sons girlfriend suffered a seizure yesterday morning. She had what they thought was a lesion on her brain. They feared it was cancer but diagnosed it this morning as a blood clot and has started her blood thinners and will be fine. Thank goodness. It was a pretty scary 24 hours. They believe her birth control med is the culprit.

Will vote on wednesday. Margo

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Hi all! So sorry I missed this :( Everything just got so busy after new years...I need to settle down and have some GW time before I go nutty. hahaha

Shirley, thanks for the email. I just voted. You are all so talented.

Loved looking at all the art! Amazing idea!!

Have a great day!
    vina

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Shirley, I emailed you my votes.

Margo, enjoy young man Braydon...safe travels home!

It probably will hit 80 degrees today...but...we are on STORMWATCH...Rain is supposed to be headed our way Thursday, Friday and Saturday...maybe 2-3 inches. We will see.............it sure would be nice!

Happy Monday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Evening All!
    Thanks to Jayeanne, Vina, Annie, Mandy and Melinda for voting! And thanks to all who posted. I appreciate the time you all took to vote and post!

So far, two members haven't received the email about voting. I am sorry, this new Yahoo thing is driving me nuts. Who asked for it anyway? In any event, please let me know and please come on the swap and get the voting instructions and then please vote! Lots of pleases in there!

Hope you get the rain, Annie!

Margo, he is such a doll! Glad you got out there to see him!
    I hope all is going well with your son's girlfriend, that had to be scary!

Vina, Mandy and Melinda, nice to hear from you all!

Jayeanne, I've been seeing robins too! Isn't it a tad bit early?

Cold, sunshiny day here today. A snow flurry here and there and that's all, and that's fine with me!
    Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

• Michelle Reynolds
    10 years ago

hi
    hope it is not too late to vote, will send email soon
    michelle

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got your email, Michelle, thanks for voting!
    We've had a great response to the voting, so far!
    Thank you, Ladies!

The voting will continue all week, until Saturday, so there is still plenty of time!

Off to work,
    Shirley!

10 years ago

Shirley, I sent you my votes through regular email, not GW on Sunday.
    Heidi

10 years ago

I tried to send my votes by GW email and it rejects your address. You might check that out Shirley.
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Heidi, not sure what is going on; I've received other votes via GW. One thing I can think of - this new yahoo crap sometimes "piggy backs" entries: I'll get one message with another message hidden behind it. Doesn't happen all the time BUT I may have deleted yours unawares. Sorry! When you have time, could you send again thro my regular email? Thanks!

Has anyone else sent via GW that I haven't mentioned yet?
    Please let me know.

Heidi, I'm going to go to your page and try emailing you. Just to check things out. Let me know if you get it and Thanks for bringing this to my attention,
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Shirley, I just emailed you my votes. Talk about some stiff competition!

This past weekend brought us gorgeous weather. I got a jump start on winter sowing back in Oct/Nov. So you know what that means?! Half my WS jogs have sprouts now! I'm especially excited about my jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) sprouts. They can be a real PITA to grow from seed, based on what I've read. So, SUCCESS!!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, just sent my votes in. Thanks for hosting such a fun swap. This was very creative on your part as well as the members.

Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting, Margo and Heidi! Got the votes and they are factored in!

Heidi, any news?

Some voting news:
    Everyone has received at least one vote for best in show!
    There appears to be a clear winner in the Self Portrait category, pity I can't say more until Saturday.
    There are only 11 members who haven't voted yet, how great is that?!
    I got Sue Grafton's new book "W" today. I am saving it to award myself, just in case I win anything!
    None of the rest of you are getting a book. Sorry.
    Could I sound any meaner?

I think it's time for bed.
    Oh, Katie, congrats on the Jewell weed; I feel the same about my two lonely Lantana sprouts!
    Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!
    Heidi, just got your votes! Thanks, and sorry bout all the confusion!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 21:11

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I sent you my votes, Shirley. That was NOT easy!
    Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting, Alana! We had some serious contenders, didn't we?

Very cold here today, colder tomorrow, and lots of snow over the weekend. Can hardly wait.

Have a great day tomorrow, All,
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, there definitely are some serious contenders. It was a tough vote for me to do.

Lets hope that snow goes south as they think it might. As I think I mentioned to you in my note, the kids are coming in from Texas on Friday morning and they fly back Sunday out of Detroit airport at 7 pm. That would be right in the midst of the bad weather if it were to hit. Can you imagine sitting at an airport on a delay with a 4 month old. He's a happy baby but not sure how he would handle that.

Glad too hear so many members have voted.

Yeah on your success Katie of your baby sprouters.

Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning, Everybody!
    I know I'm REALLY late with this, but
    HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to Melinda and Sheri!
    Hope you both had great days!

Sharon/gmom, I just emailed you again, let me know if you get it, okay? Thanks!

Margo, we got a little snow last night. The wind is terrible right now. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they are predicting. I'm home today, fighting off a cold. Wish me luck, don't need colds right now!
    Have a great day, All,
    Shirley!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    10 years ago

Thank you, Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Belated Happy, Happy Birthday wishes to Sheri and Melinda!!!!!

Shirley, take care of yourself!!!!

I agree with you all.....very difficult picking the best art/best of show. I must confess, I changed my mind a few times!

Rain came to town last night....sounds so beautiful as I type. Yes, the weathermen got it right this time.....Friday and Saturday are supposed to bring us heavy rain. No complaints, as we need the wet stuff!!

Enjoy your day!

Annie

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Great job everyone. Very creative.
    I sent my votes.

We're supposed to get to 80 degrees today.
    Maybe I'll do a little work outside.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Evening, All!

Sorry I was MIA yesterday, spent the day on the couch with some Ibuprophen and heated wine w/honey - still feeling a little dopey from that! But at least the cold made no appreciable progress!

Thanks for posting, Ruth, nice to hear from ya and your votes have been added to the mix! 80 sure sounds nice.

Annie, hope you aren't anywhere near the floods and landslides, that doesn't sound too great; hope you are safe.

One day left to vote, I'll post the winners tomorrow evening! I have to tell you, it's a really close race with Best in Show!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, hope you are feeling better today.

Our visit with the kids has been great. Picked them up from the airport yesterday about 11:30 and headed straight over to visit my mom in the nursing home. She had no knowledge the kids were in town. She was so thrilled to meet her first great grandchild. We spent an hour with her then headed back to visit Grandpa. He was kind of out of it being 94 but we were able to get our four generation picture. Then back to our house to meet some aunts and uncles and close friends. They then left here and went to her parents for the night. We all met this morning for Brayden's baptism the a nice lunch together. All Brayden did was smile, sleep, eat, and coo through the whole darn visit. They head back home tomorrow night so if the snow isn't too bad, we will meet them for lunch. We were two two rounds of snow but the second round isn't coming this far apparently. That ok as far as I am concerned.

Looking forward to the finals results of the art show. Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Evening, Everyone!

Margo, glad the visit went well! I'm praying for good weather for the return trip tomorrow, especially getting out of Michigan!

And now for the FOTESS Recycled/Upcycled Art Show results! I'm not sure how this worked out so well, but I'm sure glad it did - we all won something!

First Prize in Pretty Picture - Margo
    First Prize in Abstract - Jeanne
    2nd Prize in Abstract - Annie
    First Prize in Self Portrait - Beth
    2nd Prize in Self Portrait - Sharon
    Honorable Mention/Self Portrait - Heidi
    Honorable Mention/Self Portrait - Shirley - YAY, I get to read the book!!
    There was a three way tie for 2nd place/self portraits and Sharon got that one vote that put her over the top - it was the goldfish eyebrows that did it!

And now for BEST IN SHOW!! (Drum roll, please!)
    BAG LADY BETH!!
    Congratulations, Beth! Good job, especially on the overalls!

And congratulations to all of us! Everybody did a super job of recycling/upcycling! Great effort on everyone's part!

And I want to send lots of thanks out to everyone who took the time to vote. I really appreciate it! 17 of our members voted! That is so great, Thank you, Thank you, Ladies!

I'll be sending prizes out on Monday or Tuesday, depending on the weather. Hope everyone had fun with this swap, I know I did, even with the Q tips!

I'll be posting the March FOTESS swap next week as soon as I get the prizes for this one mailed out. Hope to see lots of our members join in!

Once again, thanks, Everyone, for making this swap a success, and congratulations to all our winners!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Old Bag Beth.....well deserved best of show and best self portrait! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations also to Margo for best Pretty Picture and Jeanne for best Abstract!

Congratulations to all of us who participated....FUN! FUN! FUN!

Shirley, thank you again for hosting!!!! We must do this again!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Congratulations to all of the winners! You are some seriously talented FOTESSettes.
    Alana

• smitties
    10 years ago

Congratulations everyone! This was such fun. Thanks to all that voted as well.

Shirley, snow was pretty light compared to what they said was going to come. Made it up to Toledo to see the kids one more time and have lunch together with our daughter in laws parents as well as my daughter and son in law. So much fun and our little Brayden did so well throughout this weekend. They are lucky, lucky parents.

Thank you again Shirley for the fabulous fun this month. I hope we can do something like this again sometime in the future.

Margo

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

What Fun! Now I can no longer say " I never win anything"
    Girls, I am both shocked and flattered. We had so many cute clever and fun creations .... it was hard to choose an I would NOT have picked mine. I liked it much better with the evergreen hair but could not get it to stay on with the paper hat. LOL. Glad the bib overhalls did it cause they are so "me"
    We have company and have been out touring/site seeing will post some photos tomorrow.
    Margo, glad you had a fun visit. Family is everything and on that note I'm sending prayers and best wishes to Melinda and her grandson.

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Thanks again Shirley for this FUN month! Sure was different!

Beth, congrats girl ... Or should I say 'BAG LADY'? Let's hope that is not a name that sticks with you!

Congrats to the 1st placers ... Beth, Margo, Jeanne!
    3 very artistic Women!

Congrats to all of us for daring to participate ... LOL

Sharon

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth, thanks for the heads up about Melinda/ilovefarac and her grandson. I just lurked over onto the OBF site and, everybody, Melinda and her family really need some prayers right now.
    Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Congratulations on all the art work prizes, everyone.

I have a special moment to share. My new little granddaughter arrived today. Her first and middle names are Miranda Cadence. She was born today at 1:24 p.m. and weighs 6 lbs., 12 oz., and is 20 1/4 inches long. It will be even better to hold her in person. This will be different from triplets - eveyone will want to hold the baby and there won't be enough babies to go around. :-)
    Enjoy the week.
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Congratulations Jeanne, Good news is always very welcome. We visited Montezuma's Castle and Montezuma's Well. Both very interesting and worth the trip. This is known as the best preserved of the ancient Cliff Dwellings. Certainly the best and easiest one to see that I have ever visited..

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Jeanne! I love the name, hope all are doing well!

Beth, is that at Chaco Canyon? And thanks for the address info!

Well, it remained right around 0 here today, so I didn't get down to the Post Office to mail prizes, but I'll get it done this week, for sure. Everything is packed and ready to go!

I'll be posting the March Swap tomorrow evening, hope to see lots of you join in!

Off to do dishes and an early bedtime. Yeah, right!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy end of the work day to All!! Lord, Lord, what a goofy day!

I hiked down to the Post Office this afternoon and got all the prizes for the swap mailed out! I have confirmation numbers if needed. Please let me know when you receive!

Coffee, I need coffee.
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Coffee is ready, want a shot of mocha in in?
    No, Shirley that is not Chaco Canyon. Have not made it to that one yet.
    Started with Mesa Verde and really learned a lot there, then went to Canyon de Chelly. Quite a different feeling there but so beautiful.
    I hope to make it to Toozigoot yet this spring. Many are closed while we are herein the winter. So it will take a while to see all the ones I want to visit.
    Put your feet up and relax a bit. You earned a break :-)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Beth, I am back to normal!

I have to admit: my first knowledge of those areas out west came from reading Tony Hillerman, then lots of reading at the library and Wiki. I would love to be able to go out there. Isn't it amazing what those ancient people could do, without all of our modern machines and technology? If you have time, would love to see more pics.

Time for more dinner,
    talk to ya all later,
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

I'm just stopping by to check out and say CONGRATS to the winners and wanted to say 'hi' as well. DH and I went down to NOLA last Thursday to celebrate Mardi Gras with family. Now we are trying to re-adjust getting back to reality... hahaha.

Saw lots of parades; donned wild and crazy wigs, hairpieces, and facepaint; caught plenty of beads; and laughed whole-heartedly many, many times. I always say that my Mardi Gras is complete so long as I catch some doubloons, a beer koozie, and a strand of the elusive glass beads. There's just something about the good-natured silliness of Mardi Gras that really makes me laugh.

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:24

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Hey, Shirley, I got my package in the mail. Thanks so much for the prize.. I didn't think 2nd place would deserve anything. LOL Mints and Iced coffee. LOL
    I'll save the iced coffee for warmer times, but the mints are always welcome.
    sharon

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, received my prize today too. What a nice surprise. Mints, (been munching them already), blanketflower seeds, and a wax melt labeled "snow day". Smells great.

The best part was my magnet "Certificate of Excellence" that you made. What a nice idea and I love it.

Thanks so much. This was a great swap and you went beyond the call of duty with the prizes. Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone, glad the prizes are arriving. Margo, I had fun doing the certificates - anything to get out of housework! Just kidding, kind of!
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Shirley, the envelope of prizes arrived and , again, What fun!!!!!!
    Awards for self portrait and Best in Show. Whooohooo. Something to celebrate
    Decided to put one on the fridge here and the other will go to the new place
    . I'm getting prints made of the picture for beside the award. Figure after all these years of never winning anything I better celebrate this.
    Seeds for two types of beautiful columbines, seed baggies and a grapefruit scented melt.
    Shirley you really went all out on this but it was such fun and worthy of celebration.

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Oh Shirely, I had no idea I was getting a prize.....Thank you very much! Seed Baggies, Limara Lemon Cosmos and my 2nd place certificate magnet ...so cool!

Thanks for all the fun in February....so clever!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Shirley,
    Thank you so much for the prizes. I had forgotten about them and couldn't imagine what had arrived in the mail for me. The award certificate is wonderful and is hanging on my refrigerator. I was very excited about it. What a smart thing to do!
    Miranda is one week old today. I'll try to add her picture to this post. It was taken yesterday and she's wearing her Gamecock outfit. She looks pretty sleepy in the picture so I doubt she watched much of the game!
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She is beautiful, Jeanne! And I'm sure she will pay more attention to the Gamecocks as she gets older. How sweet and peaceful she looks!
    Shirley!