Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandysgardens

NEW: 6th Annual 'Rare, Unusual, Named Variety' Seed Exchange

sandysgardens
14 years ago

Hello there!

I would like to welcome you to the 6th Annual Rare/Unusual/Named Variety (runv) seed exchange! In the past this swap has been hosted by Julie (Julie_mn), but unfortunately Julie is unable to host the seed exchange this year. With not wanting this seed exchange to go undone/away Julie has asked if I would be willing to take the reins this year and host for her. Ive decided to give it the old college try. IÂve been lucky enough to help Julie in years past with the runv seed exchange so IÂm not totally wet behind the ears and Julie has offered to help as much as possible.

Now down to business -

This is an exchange for named variety, rare or unusual seeds whether they are annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, or trees. Any kind of seed will do, hand collected (that we all know may or may not actually come true to form when lovingly gathered from your own gardens) or commercial, as long as it meets the criteria of named variety, rare or unusual seed.

Every one is welcome to join! This is not just for "Newbies" or "Old Hands" it is for anyone wishing to participate!

In the past the amount of seed to send in was unlimited, but to help maintain my sanity and to get the seeds turned around as fast as I can, I am setting an upper limit of 150 packets. You can send in more than 150, but I canÂt guarantee that youÂd be getting over 150 packets without sending back more than you may want in duplicates and such. There may be bonus packs, as we always seem to have several generous folks who offer their abundant seeds with abandon by sending in more than they want back. If you wish to send in extra seeds packets to give as bonusÂs to others please feel free to do so.

Also, please no more than 3-5 packs of a specific seed please. That way we can have a larger diversity of seeds to exchange, and a smaller chance of too many doubles in the return envelopes.

For clarification-

A named variety is a cultivar of a particular type of plant such as- Gaillardia ÂFanfareÂ. Gaillardia is the name of the plant, and ÂFanfare is the variety. Another example would be - Black Eyed Susan - Rudbeckia hirta ÂPrairie SunÂ. Rudbeckia hirta is the Latin name of the plant- ÂPrairie Sun is the variety- Black Eyed Susan is the common name, hirta is not a variety name. The color of the plant is usually not the variety name.

The general amount of seed in each packet should be close to 6-12 for large seeds, 24 or so for the usual size and a nice healthy pinch of the tiny seed. If you are feeling generous- go right ahead- and know that your seeds will be well appreciated! Generosity has its own rewards!!

Understanding rare seed is just that- rare and hard to find- the amounts may vary than the suggestions listed above, but please try to send the amount of seed you would like to receive. We all like to feel as good about the giving as the receiving.

I would ask that if you send mostly veggies in to be prepared to receive mostly veggies back. Not every one is open to trading their flowers for vegetables. I cannot absorb 100Âs of veggie seed packets myself but I will do my best to be fair. Also, if there are seeds sent in that do not fit the requirement such as "yellow marigolds", (unknown) "Ornamental Grass" with no other name given, or "sweet" cornÂ. I will need to return those to the sender. Somebody somewhere will LOVE those seeds. I too have a few of those "no names" myself, to share and to grow, but as wonderful as they may be they do not belong in this exchange.

If you are interested, please post below by January 27th. I will send you an E-Mail through your GW Page with info you may need and my mailing address to send your seeds to.

Individually packaged and labeled trade ready viable seeds should be sent in a bubble mailer (will be used to send your seeds back to you) with your GW name on the outside of it, and be posted/in the mail by February 6th and:

1) Return postage equal to what it cost you to send, a return address label, and if you wish, postage to cover a confirmation slip upon returning to you.

2) A list of things you would like or are interested in or a copy of your want list from your trade page, what ever is easier, with your GW name on it.

3) A list of seeds sent and total number of seed packets sent in.

I would like to ask you if you can find the time or have the willingness to look through the others wish lists posted on their GW Page to see if you can fill anyoneÂs wishes for it would be most appreciated! It is going above and beyond, but I believe it is what makes this exchange so wonderful! It's not just the seeds them selves, it is the thought and caring put into selecting them, by so many who sign up. However, please keep in mind these seeds fall into the category of Rare, Unusual, or Named Variety. Also, you donÂt need to try to match all your seeds you're sending in to peoples want lists.

It is also very much appreciated when you identify whom the packet of seeds should go to, without writing their name on the packet if at all possible. Placing multiple packets into separate baggies with the intended named on the outer bag; or taping packets to another small sheet of paper with the name on the paper; or paper slips inside the clear baggies; are all very effective ways to identify to whom the seeds should go to without actually writing the name on the packet. I wouldnÂt want to miss an opportunity to give someone what you intended to give them or is wanted if they are not identified in this way.

I ask that the intendedÂs name not be put directly on the packet in the event that I cannot send the seeds to the intended. If someone who sent in 20 packets asked for say Gaillardia Fanfare- and 10 people sent in packets for that person- I would not want to send them all 10 Gaillardia Fanfare packets back and only 10 other seed varieties. I would want to send them 20+ different packets, one of them being Gaillardia Fanfare. Also no one will think they have received seeds they shouldnÂt have- because they received a packet with someone elseÂs name written on it.

I hope to have all your new seeds in the mail and heading back to you the last week of February. This should still give participants time to do more winter sowing, spring sowing and such.

If you have any questions at all please let me know.

Thanks and let the fun begin!

Sandy

(sandysgardens)

Comments (145)

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue, Don't worry about not getting to the PO until the weekend. All's well.

Sandy

• drippy
    14 years ago

Sue, you're not the only one - with wrapping up TGS I've been straight out, too - but I will be getting seeds out (for everything!) within the next couple of days.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I sent in several packs with just 10 or so seeds in them. They were seeds I had left after wintersowing.

Aconitum-Ivorine
    Aconitum-Orientale
    Aconitum-Hemsleyanum
    Corydalis-Fumitory
    Dicentra scandens

These are a few that I sent in small amounts. I know there were a couple of people that didn't mind small amounts.

Denise

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Denise,

I'm sure most participants in the swap will be 'A okay' with getting any of the seeds you just mentioned.

I'll spread the packets around to a number of particpants too.

Sandy

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Mailed my seeds today!

• rbrady
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know I will be sending mine out tomorrow. Thanks! Rhonda

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone!

The mailman delivered three more envelopes to the door today (to much for the mailbox). He finally asked why so many envelopes in the past week or so. I told him the scoop and that he'd be seeing more over the next week. He just smiled and said to have fun!!

Whose seed came in you ask?

kygreg
    Remy
    mnwsgal

Thanks
    Sandy

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ramazz and Kimka's seed packets arrived on Friday the 5th!

Sandy

• suecirish
    14 years ago

OK, Whew! - made it. The package was at the post office this morning and should have started its journey to you by now, Sandy.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Sandy I am interested in some of remys beans.

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue and everyone else whose envelopes are on there way or soon to be on there way. I'll post when I receive them.

Thanks everyone
    Sandy

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Day Everyone!

The snow blew in 3 more envelopes on Monday.
    Received -
    Lisam627
    Drippy
    Antiqueorchid

I've heard from everyone else, except from Petunia_2006, whose envy hasn't arrived. I've sent Petunia an email, so hopefully I'll hear from her soon. Otherwise, everyone else's envy will be arriving soon.

Thanks
    Sandy

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhonda's (Rbrady) envy came in the mail this afternoon!!!

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Envies from Suecirish and Nan--6161 arrived today.

I've gone through and put all the seeds that came in thus far marked/designated for people into their respective envies. I think I've read everyone's lists of what they sent-in (made lists for those that didn't have one & have been emailed lists for seeds traveling through the snow) and everyones want lists way to many times now. I'm kinda scaring the family because when I see seed on a sent-in list I make a comment that so-and-so or so-and so would like that seed.......... I've started matching a few wants and it's looking like everyone will get a want or two or... Then the fun loading up everyone's envies with seeds!!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Ok, now I'm worried~hope mine didn't get lost somewhere!!

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone.

I've heard from Petunia and her seeds have been mailed!!

Jaynine - I'm sure your envy will arrive any day now.

My granddaughter turns 4 tomorrow (13th). Her mom called last night and informed us that Addy wants to go sledding and then out for pizza for her birthday. Wish this body luck going down them hills!!

Later
    Sandy

• drippy
    14 years ago

Oh oh, Sandy, isn't the sledding part a job for Mom, with the pizza portion being Grandma's part? Well, have fun! :)

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janine - Your seeds have arrived!!!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Yay~I'm so glad!
    Have a good time with your granddaughter! Sledding sounds like fun!

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I survived sledding this afternoon and the pizza party at Chuck E Cheese. The pizza place was a mad house with people everywhere and kids of all sizes running around and playing them darn games!!

Also, the last three envelopes arrived today too! Received Georges, Morguegirls and Petunias.

Later
    Sandy

• conniesc
    14 years ago

bump

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Sandy, Not trying to rush you but was wondering on the progress. Are you going to post when you send them out:) or are they already on their way? Thanks you for taking this swap on and hosting!

Denise

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone! Sorry I haven't posted during the week, it's been nuts. I was to have all week off but only got Monday, Tuesday and this afternoon off. A co-worker got ill and I had to cover for her at a career fair. I like hosting our booth at career fairs so didn't mind that, but it did put a crimp in my seed sorting and stuffing envies for the swap.

As I said in first post that I hoped to have all your new seeds in the mail and heading back to you the last week of February I beleive I will be able to get some in the mail on Saturday and then the rest on Monday and/or Tuesday. I'll post here as I get them mailed out. I went through (don't even want to think how many times) and got everyone some of the seeds on their want lists, and of course everyone who received seed designated for them have those packets, then I've gone through and distributed seed that I beleive will work for your zone, and this weekend I'll go through and top off everyone's envy with what hasn't been distibuted. I know this isn't a match your wish list swap, but I figure if I could match a wish or too, why not.

Before I forget, I want to give Remy a BIG thank you for sending in sooooo many seeds she had left from her winter NARG meeting. This really helped me give everyone a few packets of some different plants. I think I had to look almost all of them up so I would know what they were, where it would grow etc...

Thanks
    Sandy

• gee_oh_nyc
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update, Sandy. And for all you are doing to host this swap!

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update.

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone!

Good news! Six envelopes went out on Saturday. All the others but four went out this morning. I got to the PO and I had only had two of three bags with me. However the bag with the four remaining envelopes is in my car, and on my way to my dental appt they will get mailed this afternoon!!!

I want to give a BIG THANKS to those who sent in extra postage for the sole purpose to cover the extra postage it might cost to send some envelopes back. It came in handy since a number of evelopes cost more to send back. All is Good!!

If you can post when you receive your envelope it would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for playing and wishing everyone great success and many blooms in your gardening endeavors this spring/summer.

Sandy

• drippy
    14 years ago

Sandy, you must be exhausted - the seed swap is exhausting enough, let alone keeping up with a 4-year-old. :)

Thank you so much for your hard work - hope you get a well-deserved rest now!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    14 years ago

Yes...Sandy...thanks for all your hard work. It is really appreciated.

I'm looking forward to my package! - Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Yahoo! I can't wait to see what comes.
    Alana

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

My seeds arrived in today's mail. Being close means only one day to get here. Thank you all for sending such a diverse selection. I am still sorting them and have many to look up. This is such fun!

Thanks, Sandy, for all your work and for hosting. You did a wonderful job!

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bobby - Living only a few miles away did have its advantage on getting your seeds so fast!

I'm glad you're having fun with your seed package. I did think about giving you a call on Sunday to see if you wanted to meet for coffiee and your seeds, but an unexpected visitor showed up and that put an end to that idea.

Sandy

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Yea!!! My seeds arrived today. Thanks Sandy for hosting this swap and for doing such a great job. Received alot of my wants and have some I need to look up. Thanks to everyone in the swap for sharing your seeds.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

YAY! I received my seeds today also:) That was quick. Thank you to all who participated and to our host. Job well done!

Denise

• conniesc
    14 years ago

I also received my seeds tonight. BIG Thanks to Sandy and everyone who participated. I received a bunch of items from my wishlist and a few that I had to look up which is always exciting.

• morguegirl
    14 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday as well. They are great. Lots of selection and many of my wishes. Thanks, Sandy and everyone for a great swap!

Amy

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Mine came today, too. I have sorted them into 'plant now,' 'plant later,' and 'figure out what it is.' I am going to be busy looking things up. Thanks Sandy for all of your hard work and thanks to everyone who sent seeds.

Becky

• jaynine
    14 years ago

My seeds arrived today and I couldn't be happier~thanks so much!

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I got my package today too. Thanks to everyone who sent something special to me from my want list. I was surprised at how many I received that I had listed. I got a fantastic selection of seeds and will have to increase the number of WS containers and indoor seed starting I was planning on. Of course, all your work is greatly appreciated, Sandy.
    Thanks all,
    Sue

• rbrady
    14 years ago

I came home today and there was my envy:-) I can not believe how many of my wants were in there! There are also a few I can't wait to look up. Thanks Sandy for doing such a great job and to everyone who sent in seeds!

Rhonda

• kimka
    14 years ago

Mine came yesterday (Wednesday) too and all I can say is Wow!!!. Lots of my wants and other great seeds. Now to find time to wintersow a bunch of them.

Fun playing with you all and a major basket of appreciation to Sandy.

KimKa

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Mine came yesterday too. There were some real gems in there!
    Thanks to all, especially Sandy,
    Alana

• gee_oh_nyc
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy,
    Thanks so much for your care and thoughtfulness in hosting the swap. And thanks to ALL the players. My own packet has so many wonderful surprises, and from everything I am reading, it sounds like you made some wonderful matches of seeds with gardeners. Gardenweb folks are the best in the world.
    Happy Gardening (while out here we are having ANOTHER Nor'easter!)
    George

• wisteria54
    14 years ago

thanks so much got my trade today lots of great seeds and selection

thanks for the hard work

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy,

I was so excited to find my package waiting for me when I returned home from work yesterday.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
    I can't tell you how pleased and happy I am with the seeds you sent me - you really did a fantastic job! All your time and hard work is very much appreciated. Matching up seeds to all of our "want" lists had to have been a tedious job and a lot of work! You deserve a big pat on the back!

Thanks also to RBRADY and MNWSGAL who sent seeds in marked for me!!! : )

Again...thanks a million Sandy - I love everything and can't wait to get them going! : ) Smiles : ) - Lisa

• kygreg
    14 years ago

Sandy

Seeds arrived today, great vareities; I especially liked the tomato and pepper seeds. Thank you for your time and effort.

• drippy
    14 years ago

I received an absolutely breathtaking assortment of seeds from this swap today. Thank you Sandy, and all of you who sent in seeds especially for me, and all of you who sent in such wonderful varieties for general distribution. I am totally humbled, and hope I will have many "grandbabies" to share next year.

Kim :)

• shadyside
    14 years ago

Received my package and I really appreciate all your work Sandy, and all the folks who earmarked seeds for me!!

• jeanne
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy, the package arrived yesterday and everything looks fantastic! Can't wait to get them started. Thanks for all your hard work. Thanks to everyone else too, love all the goodies!

Happy gardening!
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I was on vacation. In my load of mail that I picked up today was the package. Thanks to all of you who sent me seeds! And a special thank you to Bobbie for so many. I got some new to me varieties. As usual this was a great swap.
    If any of you didn't get beans and wanted some please email me. From reading, I think more people wanted them than I anticipated.

Sandy,
    I was glad to have a place to send all the seeds. I know people in this swap would appreciate them : ) Thanks for hosting the swap!
    Remy

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our Canadian players (Juliana & Shanta) have emailed that they've received their envelopes and are pleased with them and thank everyone for sending in such great seeds!!

I want to give everyone one more THANKS for playing and sending in great seeds to share with everyone. It wouldn't of been a successfull swap if not for such great generosity of all players.

Wishing you GREAT gardening success and many blooms!
    Sandy