Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

UPDATE: mnf jan 2010 swap - new beginnings part 2

dan_the_mailman
14 years ago

Okay, here's the new thread. Please start posting here, thanks!

Peace.

-Dan

Comments (151)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"making Dan an extra strong pot of coffee and doubling the caffine"..Here you go.."watching your eyebrows stand out straight"..that will fix things right up!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Margo sent in the first delivery confirmation number! She used the automated window clerk to mail out her package today... Way to go Margo!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

mine will be out bright and early tomorrow....

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

You can mail on a Sunday?
    How do you do that?
    cAROL

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Cleaning a closet I found a stack of old Birds and Blooms. ( aprox 10 uears old) Old, but still in good shape and pretty.
    Thought I'd offer some for postage, either flat rate envelope or media mail. If interested email me direct. Otherwise they will go to the Hospital Volunteers.
    This time of year I sometimes need some pictures of the other seasons to keep me going.
    Happy Monday
    BB

• clabarr
    14 years ago

I was dropped from this swap because I found it late and didn't do the chat thing. I do my chatting on Facebook... but.. I bought some basic veggie seeds to swap with someone..So, if someone wants to do a personal one-on-one trade with me, please email me. I have tossed my old seeds - I have a small garden, and would love some veggie or flower seeds for zone 5.
    I am very busy.. Although I am retired, I do taxes for people during tax season. Just not a Garden Web chatter! I am sad that I was dropped, but understand the rules so do not fault anyone but myself.
    Connie in Zion, IL.

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Connie,
    contact veeja. She was dropped also and looking for someone to trade with. If you scroll up to the top of the page you will see her post.
    Heidi

• gardner_golfer
    14 years ago

My box is in the mail and I had a ball doing it! I t is always fun to surprise someone you have never met!
    Dawn

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

my box is in the mail and i mailed Dan the confirmation number..

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Boxes are flying!!!!

my box is in the mail YEAAAAAA!!!!

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Box went out this morning!

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

My box went out in the mail.

I got my Roots and Rhizomes catalog in the mail today. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW!! Lots of beautiful Daylilies and Hostas. I will definitely be adding some of these to my want list.

Dan thanks for the catalog swap. This is one that was suggested!

Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: roots and rhizomes

• shansgarden
    14 years ago

Just got back from the post office--the box is in their capable hands.

Now, time to do something about the bermuda buttercups taking over the back yard (they make a wonderful yellow dye, but man can they cover a space quick).

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boxes are flying, and more are getting ready to leave their nests. How cool! Thanks everyone for getting them out in such a timely manner! I've got a stack of dc#s I wish I could share with you all, but then you'd know when to look for your box, and I doooooo so love to keep you all in suspense! Just call me the Alfred Hitchcock of the Garden Web! At least, for this week anyway! hehehe

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

My box is flying, too! I dropped it off after work. I'm sure this is against the rules, but I do want to give one hint as to its destination:

ready?

My box is heading out of state.

There, that should narrow it down just enough.

Happy mailing day!
    ~CA

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    14 years ago

My box is on its way also. Just e-mailed Dan the confirmation #! Can't wait to get mine. How exciting. I feel like a little kid.

Clabarr - seding you an e-mail.

Alicia

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

My box is off and running.
    Confirmation #0309 2880 0000 7071 7402
    Dee

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

My box is on it's way!

Dan, I emailed you the DC number to add to your stack!

Kathy

• smitties
    14 years ago

Ok, looks like I received the first box. It was from Dan and about to burst at the seams. He packed it with seeds, chocolates, stickers, hot chocolate packets, iced tea packets, flavored coffee single packets, a gingerbread ornament kit, and a Winter Wonderland scented travel candle. I have to say I had a fun time with the chocolates. As I explained to Dan in an email, I was suffering a headache all day and when that happens, I love chocolate. His box couldn't have come ata better time.

Thanks for the goodies Dan and thanks for hosting the swap. It was fun.

THINK SPRING! Margo

Oh yeah, to answer the question about mailing on Sundays. Our post office has a huge vetibule with all the PO boxes and mailing boxes. A couple of years ago they put in a kiosk. You can use your credit or debit card to mail packages and buy stamps. It has a scale to weigh in the packages. You just touch the screen and it walks you through the process. It is available 24/7. There is a huge pull down door to deposit it for shipping. Of course, you can't drop off real big boxes. I use it even when the post office is open because there is always a line inside the post office. At Christmas, the line was outside the door into the vestibule. I just walked up and mailed my boxes and the line barely moved. I just love it.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As of this morning, 14 out of 21 boxes have flown the coop! That's a great job everyone! ((clapping hands)) One box had a slight address problem, but that's been fixed and the box will be in the mail today. Hopefully the other six boxes will be sent out today also.
    Margo received her box yesterday, who will be next? Will it be you? Will it?

Peace.
    -Dan

• keiki
    14 years ago

Mine is all packed and ready to go. Will make a trip to the PO, on my day off, to mail this in an hour or two. I sure hope it warms up a little.

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I used that mailing kiosk also. When I got to the PO yesterday afternoon, it was so crowded the parking lot was full and I had to park down the street. The line was out into the vestibule, but there was the kiosk, in use but with no line. Quick and easy! I'll definitely use this in the future.

The only problem was that the postage label was as big as the box, covering the address. But there's a space on the label to rewrite the address.

Can't wait to see more reports of boxes received!

~CA

• smitties
    14 years ago

CA, my kiosk asks if the label will fit on the box. If you say no, they give you a smaller print out for postage. If you use the smaller version, you need to attach a DC confirmation (green one) on the box. I know sometimes those labels are too big for the package, especially padded envelopes.

I wonder why there was such a line at your post office.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Something must be going on... there was a crazy line at my post office too! No one ever tells us the good secrets anymore. *pouts*
    ~Laura

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I am sitting by Christmas tree which is by the window so I can see the mailman when he brings my box. hehehe

Still cold as heck here in central FL. I think even Mickey
    Mouse froze his little tail off. Looking forward to better days to come.
    Keep those boxes flying!!!!

Hugs. Carmen

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Hello,
    I wanted to let yall know that I am still having trouble with AOL and a malware program which has infected my system. If you receive an email from me with no subject line and no message please DO NOT OPEN THE LINK! I don't know who or what the link is from and am working with AOL to correct the problem... I just wish AOL were working with me...
    ~Laura

• jacki002
    14 years ago

i sent my box yesterday, so it is on its way. cant wait to get mine!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

My box went flying this morning,i am so excited, did any one else receive a box today?
    Carman, how are your tropicals coming along?Were you able to save any of them?
    I took our tree down a few days ago,i love having it up, but we have so much basement Stuff,laying around, it had to come down.:0(
    We have a high of 19 today, a heat wave, feels so good!
    I saw on the news, the orange fields are pretty much ruined,pretty scary when you think about it.we all depend on some one else for our food.I should be growing more veggies instead of flowers,
    I can;t wait to see what we all get, this is so much fun.
    Stay warm,and keep sitting by they window,be sure to post when your box lands.
    cAROL

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi ya'll., I don't know if anything survived this horrible cold snap we had. I haD covered alot but I don't think it did any good.
    I won't know how much damage there is for a few days. Makes me want to move further south.LOL

I hope you all are having a great day.
    Carmen

• gardner_golfer
    14 years ago

Well I got my box in the mail also and can't wait to hear how ---------likes her surprise!! Just wanted to say that you can always to to the 'USPS' website and use "CLICK AND SHIP' to mail, use a CC and they will even pick your package up..or just put in your mail box. Can't wait to see what every one gets, almost like waiting for SANTA....HEHEHE
    Dawn

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

this is fun!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

you all are starting to sound like commercials for the post office, which is rather cool, I must say.

we should see some boxes arriving tomorrow, if all goes well...

in the meantime, good-night...

14 years ago

Yeah, I'm ready to bust! I want my box!!!!! Hope it comes tomorrow. I'm jealous that two people have gotten theirs already. :)

Gardner Golfer - I was going to use the Click and Ship at USPS.com, but then I wasn't sure if I had to have a sticky label or if I could print it on plain paper and tape it to the box. Then what about Delivery Confirmation; can you do that online? And my scale sometimes doesn't match what they have at the PO. Don't know why. Maybe theirs is more sensitive. So I didn't want any problems with my package getting delivered. In the end I had too many questions, so I just took it to the PO. :)) But I thought that's such a convenient way to ship.....maybe for my next swap!

Our weather is horrible here. Tired of seeing snow everywhere. I bought some Primroses at Home Depot the other day when I was there. They were so "springy" and "cheery" looking that I had to buy a few. Couldn't resist.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else gets.....
    Alicia

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Click N Ship is great, just print and tape it to the box and best of all, FREE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION!! I always use flat rate boxes so I dont have to worry about the weight.

Carmen, Im sure youll have some survivors, probably more than you would think!

Alicia, I love those flower pictures.

Dan, can we see a picture of you in those letter-carrier shorts?? Oooh La La!
    And on another note...

I GOT A BOX!! My lovely fellow birthday-er (1 day apart, happy bday today!) Margo sent me a wonderful goodie box with:
    2 handmade bracelets- they fit perfectly BTW, a 2010 pocket calender, a beautiful set of note cards, lots of seeds, a journal, a set of green planters, and a beautiful little blue glass watering globe. Zoe and Rufus say thank you for the treats (and the newspaper packing... crazy cats have made a 'nest' out of it) and I LOVE everything! What a wonderful birthday treat this all is,
    *HUGS*
    ~Laura

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Alicia those are awesome garden, I just Love all the fowers, especialy the Clematis those are just gorgeous.(Did I spell that ringht?)Hmmmm

Yea Dan let see those mailman shorts LOL ((Big grin))

Laura that was a great box you got from Margo,
    HAPPY B-DAY to both of you.

Please send prayers my way, because of the weather( people will not come out to play if it gets under 50 degrees) I haven't had any buisiness in my little shop and that my dear is no good. If I don't get buying customers, can't pay my bills.
    Enough whinning!!!!

Today is the day I hope, ny box will be here YIPYYYYYY!!

Many hugs, Carmen

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I loved the flower pics Alicia! It's so nice to see something green, isn't it? Have you checked? We're supposed to have sun and the 40's tomorrow..heat wave!!

Carmen ,I hope your flowers are okay. What kind of business do you have?

Happy Birthday to both Margo and Laura!!

Yeah Dan, where is that shorts pic??

14 years ago

Carmen, glad you enjoyed the pics. When it gets to weather like this and all I see is snow, I get to the point where I want to see sun and flowers, so I go to my Photobucket pics and look at them to remind me that eventually I'll be back out in my garderns. I'm already planning where to put some things this spring. Hope your business picks up. Mine has been slow too.

Linda, we'll get together soon and talk about all the plants we have. Now you got a sneak peek into my garden from the pics! :) Can't wait for the 40-degree weather today. I hope it melts some of this snow. I just put out some milk jugs for wintersowing on Friday and they're all covered with snow!! Ugh.

Dan, are you feeling the pressure yet?? Where's that pic? :))

Alicia

• jacki002
    14 years ago

Alica, those pictures are gorgeous!! i rescued a baby bunny a few years ago. my dog decided to bring me one and i didn't know where its nest was. i hope i get my box today!! this is exciting!!

14 years ago

Hi Jacki002! That's where I got my baby bunny from too, was my dog's mouth!!! Then the poor little thing didn't want to leave my hands. I thought, oh, no, my husband will kill me if I take you in. I'm always rescuing animals it seems....and getting into trouble for it.

No box yet for me. Mail came this morning, but maybe later it will arrive on a separate delivery. If not, maybe tomorrow. :)

So glad eveyrone is enjoying the pics. Can't wait to take more this summer. I had some things that bloomed and I missed taking their picture, so this summer I'll have to get on that better.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Alica,your gardens are beautiful, what a treat to see when all there is to look at now is snow,thanks for sharing them with us.
    Carman,i think all businesses are slow this time of year,you will pick up some business for Valentines Day,
    We know what Carmans business is, what is yours Alica?
    When we had our business, this time of year was always a worry to us, seems it always evened out though at the end of the month,sending good vibes your way Carman & Alica.

Where are all the boxes,come on, we are all waiting with great anticipation,

Dan, where is your Photo?And don't even try to post the one from Halloween.
    cAROL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, the joke's on all of you looking for a photo of me in a postal uniform! I'm a rural carrier, which means I don't wear a uniform, I wear whatever I wish! Lately that's meant sweatpants, 2 t-shirts, and a pullover. In the summer, when it's really hot, that means swim trunks and a t-shirt. Luckily my route is near the water, so when it's hot and sticky, I jump in the bay for a few minutes of wading and splashing around, then I get back in the car and finish my route. ((chuckle)) Y'all are too funny!

So far I've heard from everyone EXCEPT cryptid/Darrin and jmt2213/Jenny about their boxes. I do know that a box was mailed out today, but I'm not telling who it's going to...lol! Keep watching those mailboxes, you never know what might be coming at you!

Darrin and Jenny, e-mail me and let me know what when you mailed your box out, will you please? Thanks!

Later...

Bump and Crew

• smitties
    14 years ago

Alicia, enjoyed the flower photos and I can't wait to have flowers and green grass again.

Laura, glad you liked your box. I realised when I got your name that your birthday was close but it was too late to get it to you on your birthday.

Dan, my daughter and I were going through the box you sent and I mentioned one of your cats is called Bump. We also have a cat we named Bump and she was wondering how your cat got its name. When we found our Bump, he was with two siblings. We did not intend on keeping them so gave them names matching issues such as Webber because he had weird webbed type paws. Bump had a hernia and the last one we just called "the other one". Once we decided they had climbed too far into our hearts, we kept them and "the other one" became Peanut.

I like the idea of Click and Ship but only for flat rate unless the sender has a relable scale. The reason is that I have had to pay twice now for insufficient postage on packages that were sent to me. The post office told me this happens a lot with Click and Ship due to the sender under weighing.

Anyway, too many people do it and we may end up putting some of our finest Postal people out of jobs, right Dan. Not good.

THINK SPRING! Margo

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hip Hip Ho ray!! (what my son has been saying all day)
    My box came today!!

It was from Jenny/jmt2213. Thank You Thank You! I received a wonderful knit dish cloth that her grandmother made. Now I really want to learn how to knit! I love homemade stuff like this!! Some milkyways, which my son confiscated. A bar of Blackberry Creek Soap. I love it. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect box if you knew who I was. I also got a bunch of seeds. The awesome part is that I don't have any of them. To name a few there is Dragon's tounge Bean, Ornamental flowering kale, crook neck squash, blue bedder salvia. Once again Thank You.

Heidi

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Got my box today! So, I must have been the Tiger Lily - my favorite!! In my box:

* a pretty crystal to hang in my window
    * a note pad (my daughter always takes mine)
    * pretty flower shaped post-it's
    * seed envelopes (I needed these!)
    * a nice assortment of seeds - lots of melons - yum
    * and a nice note from Laura

Laura - thank you so much for the nice box! ** Happy Birthday ** And I hope you are feeling better and getting over your bronchitis (should I have sprayed by box with Lysol before opening? Just kidding). Thanks again.

Great idea Dan. We should do these 'smaller' swaps more often.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

~ Tracy

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Ny box arrived and a big Thank You goes out to Heidi.
    She sent a pair of garden gloves, needed those, some chocolates a cake decorating kitand recipe. Good idea I'll use that for Valentines.
    A nice assortment os seeds AND A day planner. Boy did I need that. Jack complains about me loosing track of things and I have promised to start using the planner. Sure hope it works but it's a good start.
    Hope I didn't forget anything and I do feel like I have made a great new friend.
    Thanks again Heidi.
    hugs
    Bethb

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Glad to see boxes arriving today. Don't worry Tracy, I was assured I had bacterial and not viral bronchitis (aka, not contagious). I am feeling much better too, which is good since classes started Monday. Just an obnoxious lingering cough.
    ~Laura

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

You bunch of lucky dogs!!!
    I got NOTHING today, but tomorrow is another day :o)
    All good things are worth the waiting for.
    Heidi, Tracy, Beth, that was a great box you guys got

Jenny, Laura, Heidi, you did good!!!

Linda,you had asked what type of shop I have.... I have a little resale shoppe, a little bit of everything used, new
    mostly shaby chic and very girly vintage jewelry and so on.

Alicia, what do you have for a busines?

HUgs,Carmen

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Those are some great boxes! Way to go!

Margo, I got my first cat, Jason, as a very shy adult. I found out later he'd been abused by his first family, which is why he immediately went into hiding when I got him. Lucky for me, and Jason, a good friend of mine was giving me some very good advice about having a cat, and suggested that I think about getting another cat so Jason would have someone to talk to when I was at work, and who would encourage him to come out of hiding. I got Jason on a Friday night, and by Sunday morning I'd decided to get a second cat.
    Sometime during the course of the day on Monday, it hit me that I was looking for a kitten named Bump. So, after work, I went to the local shelter, and there he was, in a cage with his two sisters. We bonded immediately, even though I did check out the other kittens to make sure the little guy stretching out his forepaws to get at me was the right one. After about 3 minutes, I went back to him, he told me that his name was Bump, and that he wanted to go home now. I took him out of the cage and went up to the front desk, which was a huge "no-no", but I wasn't going to take the chance that someone else might pick him out. We signed the papers, and he's been with me now for about 2.5 years. He'll be 3 in June. And, that, in a nutshell, is the story of how Bump and I met.

Tracy, I like the idea of using these small boxes too. It keeps things simple, and it's easy on the wallet.

Has anyone had any thoughts about hosting the February swap yet?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, it looks like we've reached our limit again! How cool! Go ahead and look for part iii of the swap and keep posting!

-Dan

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

********************Hey every one,gather around************
    I just got my box,Come on, sit,have a glass of refreshment, and i will show you every thing i received, man, what a GREAT BOX,
    First and formost, i will thank my gift er,
    A big thank you to Dawn,who is a new kid on the block,and was worried she would be a disappointment,Dawn, you choice of goodies is perfect,just perfect!
    This was in my box you guys,
    1. A very nice letter ya all know i LOVE a hand written note,she told me a little about herself,which i love hearing also.
    2.The most wonderful gardening gloves, i am going to want more of these, saved the label,so i know where to order more.
    3. A HUGE, tub of Moisture Therapy hand cream.
    3.Some nice eye glass cleaner with a little towelette to clean them with, i am always looking to clean my glasses when i am on the computer.
    4.A thoughtful Lighthouse Pin, to light my way, so i never get lost,now, how sweet is THAT.
    5.A new tube of lipstick.the right color even,:0)
    6.A pair of Bathing Gloves,you use these like a wash cloth,lather up and exfoliates your skin,cool.
    7.Poppy Seed*RED**I grew poppies last year, really didn't like the ones i choose, and was wanting to try these Red Ones, I can't wait to grow these,Dawn, are these the big red ones?
    8.Lavender seeds
    9.Curled Chervil;herb;yeaaaaaaaaaaaa,for my new Herb Garden
    10.Genovese Basil,another herb,yeaaaaaa

1. Cat Grass, another one i wanted to try, my 2 cats will love this one.
      12.Blur Morning Glories, I Love Morning Glories
      13.Cleome seeds
      14.Nasturtium seeds
      15.And Moonflower
      Thank you so much Dawn, this was a great box,you put a lot of thought into this box,and made this gardener,very happy.(this will only be my 2nd box i sent.)I know how it feels,:0)
      I know you are all happy for me, can't wait to hear from the rest of you.
      cAROL