Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

NEW: Seed N Stitches Swap for February

lindaruzicka
13 years ago

Greetings fellow Stitchers! This month we're going back to the quilt blocks. We'll be sliding in a bit slowly to get the hang of it again. The sign up date will be by Feb 4th, the mailing date will be Feb 12th. So here's what we're going to do:

1. We are making a 12.5 block of any color.

2. You will be applicating on the block anything that deals with gardening (hoes, birdbaths, boots, flowers, pots, etc.)

3. You can make 1 to 3 blocks, your choice

4. Once again, the block can be any color but has to measure 12.5 so it will be 12 inches when finished.

5. The sign up date is Feb 4th and then I will post partners

6. The mailing date is Feb 12th

7. You are to mail a pack of your favorite seeds to your partner/partners with the block.

8. Anyone in good standing can participate

9. You can make your blocks all the same or all different, it's up to you!

any questions, please let me know...come on and join in the fun!!

Comments (64)

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Please don't forget to add me Linda. I would like to make 3 blocks for this swap.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

update!
    so far we have:
    lindaruzicka-me
    dan_the_mailman-Dan (2)
    nottougly-Faye
    quiltpartner-cindy
    quiltingfox-Sandra (3)

lurker:Chrizty

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Linda I am going to have to withdraw from the swap. I am just not having much luck appliqueing on the sewing machine. My fabric keeps wanting to move around as I sew it on the machine. My hand applique stitching is much prettier, but as I am still hand appliqueing my mom's quilt, I am not going to have time to do other hand appliqueing projects at this time.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's okay, I understand Sandra. Just a hint of what I do, if you put fusible web on it (like the bookmark) and press it and then applique it will stay put!

• chrizty
    13 years ago

What?? who me lurking??? LOL
    Sandar hope you try the fusible web! cant so no more than try :)
    well my mechine went bonkers n wont do the zig-zag stiches, no matter what setting I put it on, So ill try hand sewing them n let ya know how it went lol, I have my block fabric in the dryer now, it was so wrinkly there was no way I was ironing it our LOL geesh my fabric can get slobby lol

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Ok I will try the fusible web and just try cutting out 1 piece for the leaves instead of using 3 layered on top of each other. I will give it another go tomorrow and see if I am successful. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I'm in. Can't let this pass me by.
    Put me down for 3

gmom

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

update!
    Nice lineup we have so far! Welcome Sharon, glad to have you with us!

so far we have:
    lindaruzicka-me
    dan_the_mailman-Dan (2)
    nottougly-Faye
    quiltpartner-cindy
    quiltingfox-Sandra (3) (?)
    christy
    gmom2-6boys (3)

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Sign me up for 3 please :)
    Im craving cho mint cookies with powder sugar sprinkled on top! I always crave the things I shoulnt at night lol

Anyone else getting spring fever from making thses blocks?

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Thank goodness for fusible web!! Linda please sign me up for 3 blocks. I now have all of my blocks finished - yeah!!! :-)

Now off to work on my mom's canning jar lap quilt. :-)

Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I've got my fusible web stuff now, so now I can try to figure out what kind of block I want to make. I was thinking of making some orange batik cosmos, but then I was looking through my stash and found some fabric of flowers/flutterbies/birds. Hmmm, what to do, what to do?

And Linda? Let's up the ante to 3, shall we?

Sandra! I'm glad you decided to stay in the swap!

I know this is probably a bit early, BUT! Is there anyone who would like to host the swap for March? I've got a couple of ideas for a swap, but I've done a lot of hosting and want to give someone else the chance to speak up and claim a month or two first. So, would any of you like to host for March? A good time to post would be around the 14th so everyone will have time to work on the next project...

Hoping Y'All Are Warm...
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, it looks like everyone is sending three blocks so here's the partners. Please remember to contact your partner with your address and the mailing date is by Feb 14th.

Linda send to Sandra, Faye, and Chrizty
    Dan sends to Linda, Cindy, and Faye
    Faye sends to Sharon, Sandra and Cindy
    Cindy sends to Sandra, Sharon and Chrizty
    Sandra sends to Dan, Sharon and Chrizty
    Chrizty sends to Dan, Linda and Faye
    Sharon sends to Dan, Cindy and Linda

Let me know if I messed any of this up..it does get confusing!!

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Dan I have your address, but I need the address for Cindy and Linda. I think I have Linda'S but not sure.

My blocks are all ready.
    gmom

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan, am glad I joined this swap. :-) I have everyone's address I am to mail to. Is it ok to mail before the 12th Linda? Off to pick out those seeds to send with my blocks. :-) Schools are closed here tomorrow - getting an ice day. Hope everyone stays safe and warm! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yepper, you can send them early...

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Whoohoo partners!!!
    Glad your in Saundra!!
    I got my fabric picked out n cut.. Ill need Faye's addy

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Chrizty, I need your address. I've got Lindas and Fayes. Woohoo!!!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need everyone's address!!..LOL!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

We got ice, ice and more ice - hoping the power stays on. People in towns near us have lost power due to ice on trees. My parents that are farther west of us have had trees break in half due to the ice. Well off to work on mom's quilt and read "The Quilter's Apprentice" by Jennifer Chiaverini.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Well color me blushing!! I totally forgot this swap! How bad am I?? (P-leeze do NOT answer that question right now, I don't think my ego could take it:)
    Have been up to my ___ in babies & quilt blocks. (doing a boomerang swap w/30 some other quilters on top of my 3 birthday swaps & 2 round robins.) Am I nuts??! Again, please don't answer that!
    I knew what I was going to make when I signed up, so the hard part is over. I have all weekend to sew - unless our 2 DGSs spend the night tonight. They've been wanting to for a month (so has Gma & Gpa:) but the snow/cold weather & being cooped up is taking its' toll on moods & behaviors for all of us. Mom & Dad have't yet decided if they get this treat - so maybe I'll have all weekend to sew, maybe not. Flexibility - that's my secret:)

I'd appreciate if everyone would send their addy - I'm sure I have one or two, but...just in case :)
    Linda, instead of hot chocolate/cookies or tea/brownies --- do you have wine & cheese?? No, not WHINE, the GOOD stuff! :)

~Cindy

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Wow Cindy you got alot going on! I forget stuff with less than that going on lol so I wont be saying anything!! hehe.

Sandra I finished that book last night lol couldnt put it down! After reading A christmas quit and A holiday quilt it was cool to find out how Sylvia n Sara bacame friends. and how the other quilters came into the story :) I started the 2nd book Round robin. but Im gonna have to put the book down to work on these blocks. or Ill never get them done....

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I just sent out an e-mail to everyone I'm involved with...lol! Let me know if you don't get it please!
    -Dan

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Wow Cindy you are busy! Christy is good to know that the rest of the 1st book will be good, hoping to get to read some more of it in a little bit. Just got my Burpee seed catalog in the mail and can't wait to look through it. They had seeds out at Lowes, but hubby was walking too fast and I didn't even get to see what they had. This morning ice was melting and falling out of trees several stories high so was not safe to walk outside earlier today. We went to town after lunch and overpasses were clear of ice between here and Alexandria - yeah!

I mailed blocks today to Sharon, Dan, and Christy.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Got your e-mail Dan :) It reminded me to pop back in n send one to Faye lol
    Whoohoo!! Ill let ya know when it gets here Sandra!
    Those dang Hubbys! LOL Hope you can check the seeds out next time :)
    IF (thats a big if) I order anything this year it will deff be the mouse tail plant. maybe a hosta n some Iris, and,,and,,and,,, lol

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I've got the addresses I need now, so now I need to make some decisions today and get sewing! Faye, I got your address off of the list Kym sent out for the christmas card seed swap, that is so handy to have!
    Breakfast this morning was at a local restaurant, the grocery-shopping is done, the BBQ chicken legs are slow-cooking in the oven, and it's time to kick back with a beer and relax a little. I'm going to do some sewing this afternoon after baking a couple of french loaves to use for subs for dinner.
    So what's up with everyone else today?
    -Dan

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

I still need addresses! Please! Since I can't stand the game anymore, I might as well sew! :(

• chrizty
    13 years ago

I got Sandra's block!!!! Its so pretty!!!
    Also got snow, snow n more snow :(

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, Faye has dropped out for personal reasons. Since she was sending to Sharon, Sandra and Cindy, I'll go ahead and send to those ladies instead. If you have sent your block to faye, that's fine, if not, you can send hers to me. If we're sending to the same person twice..well then, I guess we're just lucky!!.."L"

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I not only received a beautiful block from Sandra, but also pink mimosa tree, morning glory, giant orange marigold, AND purple coneflower seeds! Sandra, THANK YOU!!! (now I've really got to dig my greenhouse out of the snowbank!)
    -Dan

===========================================================

ANY VOLUNTEERS WANT TO HOST FOR MARCH???
    SPEAK UP BEFORE SUNDAY NIGHT PLEASE!!!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Christy and Dan I am so glad you like the blocks I made! You're most welcome for the seeds; I will be sowing some of the pink mimosa tree seeds here this spring in an affort to attract hummingbirds to my back yard flowerbed. Off to enjoy some more of a good book, before my child and DH get home from school. We are thankful the ice missed us last night and today. It is suppose to continue to warm up here through next week. By Wednesday it is suppose to be 70*F and I can't wait for it. Had to bring my wintersowing (WS) sprouts of cerinthe purple bells in the house - I only have about 4 sprouts left out of 20. Thankfully no other WS milkjugs have sprouted yet except for arctic fire sweet william dianthus and a few of those sprouts have frozen. So am really hoping this is the last of our freezing cold weather for this year. Off to read that book.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Sharon, I received your block today, and it's fantastic! I love how you used the hearts as flower petals...too cool!
    THANK YOU!!!

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Dan, Linda, & Cindy
    Your blocks went out on Wednesday. Dan has his already but the rest will get them any day.
    For some reason I wasn't able to scroll down on the site to post that they were coming.
    So.......SUPRISE!
    If Dan could post a picture then all could see.
    Any way you all have a GREAT VALENTINE'S
    gmom
    Sharon

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Cindy, Linda, and Sandra, your blocks and seeds are in their envelopes and waiting to go out with tomorrow's mail. This was a lot of fun! So much fun, in fact, that I made up an envie with seeds and a block to send to my mother! Hehehe, will she ever be surprised!

I've been thinking, and yes, it hurt, but I'm going to go ahead and post the swap for March tonight. That way, hopefully people will see it this weekend and join in on the fun. Hope to see you all there!
    -Dan

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Im going to be late with mine. sorry everryone!
    I had a ATM issue that hopefully my bank clears up, also Im still sewing thses by hand. I didnt think it would take me so long to sew! Im a sew poke! LOL

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, here's our update:

Linda send to Sandra,Chrizty, Sharon and Cindy
    Dan sends to Linda, Cindy,and Sandra
    Faye dropped out
    Sandra sends to Dan, Sharon and Chrizty ***everyone received
    Chrizty sends to Dan, Linda
    Sharon sends to Dan, Cindy and Linda*****everyone received

Dan is mailing his tomorrow,everyone else is still working on them.

I received Sharon's quilt block and it's so pretty I'm afraid to send her one of mine!!!LOL Mine will be going out tomorrow.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay, here's our update:

Linda send to Sandra,Chrizty, Sharon and Cindy **mailed
    Dan sends to Linda, Cindy,and Sandra **received mine
    Faye dropped out
    Sandra sends to Dan, Sharon and Chrizty ***everyone received
    Chrizty sends to Dan, Linda
    Sharon sends to Dan, Cindy and Linda*****everyone received

I received Dan's block and loved the dragonfly on it (where did you get those anyways?). when Cindy and Sandra receive theirs' please let me know.
    My blocks are mailed out! Please post when they're received!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I received my beautiful block from Dan today along with some seeds! Thank you bunches!! It will go in the garden theme quilt I am making for my grandma. :-) Spent the afternoon washing fabric and making bookmarks. I don't know if we are getting an early spring or if spring is just teasing me, but am enjoying these 70*F temps this week. :-)

Sandra

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I received a beautiful block today from Linda. It has butterflies on it that my grandma is just going to love. :-) And she sent me her favorite seeds blackberry lily which is one of my favorites too. :-) Thank you bunches Linda!!

Sandra

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I just posted positive GW Rate & Reviews for my swap partners for the January and February Swaps. Trying to get caught up on my postings today.

Beautiful weather here. Took a 15 walk today. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

All my blocks were mailed out yesterday am - finally! A few little people kept me too busy to work on them when I was so close to finishing! It was hard to part with them...I was becoming attached to my 'labors of love'. Hope you like them too,-- Sandra, Sharon & Linda:)

I rec'd my last block yesterday - they are all so pretty!- & even play well with each other! LOL! I love the idea of a garden themed quilt (thank you Sandra:) A garden quilt will be just the comfort & encouragement I need about February when I'm sick of winter but it's too early to go out & dig in the dirt!
    Thanks to all! This was a great swap!

~Cindy

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Im still working on mine, I just need yellow thread to finish up, Works got me working 7days a week, times kinda short for me to really get busy with them, So please dont give up on me!
    And I dont know if I got anyones block in cause my mailbox fell over. I hope to have it fixed soon with bricks. the pole came right out the ground.

Cindy I know what ya mean, I love the blocks im working on lol so im making me one when Im done LOL.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Got Cindy's gorgeous block today and Malva Zebrina seeds. It is so detailed and like 99% done by hand stitching! A yellow butterfly background with a blue-bird hidden in the grass and purple flowers and pink tulips (my favorite flower color) reaching upwards with a blue dragon fly flying above the tips of the blooms. Wow! Your and inspiration Cindy - one day I hope to be able to do that detailed type of applique! Wow! It will go on my Grandma's quilt that I am starting. Hopefully I will have it finished by end of 2012. :-) She is going to love this quilt with all the beautiful garden-themed blocks that everyone is making.

Best to you and many, many thanks,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Aww, schucks - now I'm blushing:) Such sweet words, thank you Sandra. These garden-themed blocks were a joy to do. Makes me want to get a garden themed quilt done ASAP. Then maybe, just maybe spring will come!

~Cindy

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I got my block from Cindy! Thanks Cindy, nice job.
    Linda, I got yours, one day last week and also a nice job. Thank you.
    We have been sick at this house since Feb 14. Don't know when we will get to feeling better. The doctor's office is calling this the "CRUD" We feel like crud, too. They say it is taking a long time to get over it.
    It can't come soon enough.

Thanks to all.
    gmom
    Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see everything is moving along! Geez, Sharon, I hope you feel better. That's a long time to be sick!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

You are most welcome Cindy. Sharon I hope you and your family get to feeling better real soon.

I went for a walk enjoying this windy, warm spring weather. Fixing to start sewing the lace onto my mom's canning jar quilt blocks. Putting lace underneath the lids of the jars per mom's suggestion. :-) Hope everyone has a great weekend! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• chrizty
    13 years ago

I got Cindy and Linda's blocks they are beauitful!!!
    sorry im late sending mine out, they will be done monday! :)

• chrizty
    13 years ago

my blocks from Sandra,Linda, n Cindy. there clickables

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I received a purple 9-block with a butterfly stitched into the middle of it from Cindy today... yayyyy!!! It was a great way to come home after dealing with a snowstorm, whiteouts, and not being able to deliver two-thirds of my route today! Thank You Cindy!!!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received a beautiful block from Christy today. It's on a green background and has 4 hand appliqued flowers and leaves on it. I can see why it took you so long! It's gorgeous!..Thanks so much!