Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budsnblooms

UPDATE: 11,200 Traveling Daylilies

budsnblooms
15 years ago

{{gwi:1241432}}

The Traveling Daylilies are beginning another New Year. The last year was full of changes, suprises, happy events, and not so happy ones. Our prayers are that this one will be the best year ever.

We hope you enjoy reading our notes and will be encouraged to join our group. If you would like more information about our group and how to become a member, please contact any of our members.

Comments (102)

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nancy-The gaphics are easy when someone else makes them up. LOL

I bought Dawson two webkinz for valentines day and he would not leave and go home last night. He played on the computer on the webkinz site until he almost fell asleep sitting in the chair. This morning he picked back up where he left off last night. His older cousin is coming this afternoon to show him just what all he can do with them. They have their own room and you decorate it with furniture and feed them. He did figure out some of the games but some are to hard for him. What will they come up with next?

Shirley

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you enjoy your day with your special valentines.

Happy belated birthday Dawn & Karen. I hope it was a good one. Melinda, I hope you have a great birthday.

Nancy, I hope you have a speedy recovery and I am hoping you have received my card by now.

Debbie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the doctors can find something that will help with the sleep disorder and I hope your weather has quieted down.

Shirley, I have heard of those webkinz but have never actually seen it before. Sounds like Dawson is having a ball with it.

Sharon, that is a pretty flower picture. Makes me wish spring would hurry up and get here. I am still waiting for my first daylily to open. I think it will still be another week or so. I noticed my first scape last Saturday. I have never had daylily scapes come up this early. It's like waiting for a pot to boil though. Seems like it will never get there! LOL....

Dianne

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes. I'll let you know how the test turn out.

You should have received an email from me giving you Marea's correct address. If not, let me know and I will send you one.

Sharon...I love your "pink" garden. Everything seems to blend and fit so well together.

Nancy..please keep us posted about your upcoming surgery and anything else you want to share with us.

I will watch for the "seed eagle" to fly over Ky this week. I can't wait to see what is in the box when it returns to me. Sounds like there is going to be more than it left with. I'll list what is in the box and the 3 of you who were in the seed swap can choose any of the extra's and I will share them with you.

Anyone want to sponsor a March swap? Be thinking about it, we can have more than one swap if enough people are interested. Post your ideas.

Some of you that keep up with sales and coop's...please let us know when you hear of a good one. I didn't get anything from Maryott's last year, did they have a sale?

Shirley...thank you for being such a level headed, sweet person that we all count on.

Hugs to all,
    Debbie

• veeja11
    15 years ago

happy belated valentines day to everyone. I made it !!! we had over 2000 orders, hired extra designers but I am exausted. boss is rolling in money so she is happy. I think I am ready to retire.big hugs to everyone. carol

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Dianne-Wow I can't believe you are going to get a daylily bloom in February...I'm so jealous. I think we have created a computer monster with those webkinz. Dawson came home with me after Church and played on the computer from 1:00 until 7:30. He was sitting in front of the computer when I got home from our evening Church service. His Dad had to come and get him and make him go home and he's only 4 years old.

Debbie-I received the e-mail with Marea's new address, thanks. Don't know if you are a Dave's member but there are lots of co-ops going on right now. I got in on an echinacea and double hellebores co-op. It will probably be awhile for daylilies.

Carol-Really surprised sales were so good with the economy the way it is. I know your boss must be thrilled.

Shirley

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1241441}}

Good Morning,

I have gotten out of the practice of using graphics although I enjoy them. I will try not to overuse them as our dial up friends may give up in frustration trying to get the site to come up.

Shirley...I realize the mail isn't running today so I won't expect the seeds until the end of the week.

I have a project I would like for us to do. Please email our missing members and let them know they are missed and encourage them to return? I am posting their names and you can contact as many of them as you want, letting them know how much we need and miss them.

Here's a list of our MIA's
    I am only listing their first name and last initial for security reasons. You can get their email addresses from the members address list that I sent you. You do not have to sign up to do this, there is no set number you have to do and of course you don't have to do it at all. But I'm hoping by spring growing season we have most of our MIA's
    back with us.

Annette B.
    Mary B.
    Anita B.
    Gloria B.
    Miriam G.
    Diane H.
    Rebecca H.
    Ellen H.
    Jean L.
    Annie M.
    Jaye M.
    Dianne P.
    Mary P.
    Dawn S.
    Mary S.
    Joann S.
    Cody T.

If I have anyone on here that shouldn't be, I apologize...I am doing this from memory and mine isn't very good. If you think of anyone we left off, please let me know.
    Debbie

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Hello All! Thanks so much for the great BD wishes! I had a fabulous BD! My dgt did a surprise lunch thing at a BBQ place and I was surprised!! Didn't have a clue it was going to happen! So had a great afternoon full of fun and love and laughter! I truly needed it! I got a beautiful Mother's ring! Also perfume, many garden art items, daylilies, gladiolas, etc! Needless to say with 17 people there I cried alot and was speechless at times!! I then came home and picked a bouquet of hellebores and was thrilled that my mom made sure they bloomed lovely just for me! LOL!
    Wow, I can't believe someone has a daylily scape already either! Mine are just barely peaking up except the evergreen ones.
    Yes, you can love those grandchildren alot!! I have my world wrapped around mine for sure! If I could only protect them from the things in the world ahead, it would be marvelous! I try in my own way with church and all, but one never knows. But lots of prayers never hurt!
    I don't know alot of the people on the original TD list, but I will email the ones I do. I just joined when it was only few and seems to get fewer.
    I also got my card back to Marea. But I am going to resend tomorrow!
    I hope everyone has a great evening! Melinda

• User
    15 years ago

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen,

I received Debbie's email this morning and was reminded of what a special group the Traveling Daylilies has been for so many years.

I've grown distant for several personal reasons--I have no more planting area left on my property and have fallen out of love with ornamental gardening. My plans are evolving into removing many of the flowers to again make room for edible plants. This shift in philosophy brings me closer to other types of forums that concentrate more in self-reliance. I've come full circle--back to gardening for food.

I do read the threads and see many new names and faces. I'll stay distantly connected to the group. I hope you understand why I don't post often.

Old Dianne

• mamabirrd
    15 years ago

Hello, old friends and new!

I also received an email from Debbie that reminded me of the wonderful group i've been missing. I'm so sorry for my extended absence. With a 21 month old son on the loose, it's hard to get much "me time". :)

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I send my best to Karen and Melinda! Wishing you many, many more candles. :)

Things have been pretty good aside from the fact that my DH is without work. I sure hope something happens and our economy starts to move again.

We are finally in the electrical stage at our new house. DH finished duct work two weeks ago and we got our garage doors installed last week. Most of the electrical rough-in should be completed this weekend and then we can insulate. Won't be long after that. We are going to be moving soon, but the house will be far from finished. We have to sell our current home so we can finish the new place.
    I will be so happy to get over there, kitchen or not. A microwave and grill will get me through. :)

As if i'm not already busy enough, things will get utterly crazy around here very soon. I am digging all plants and trees starting next month as the weather allows. Once I have most of that done I have to dig my new pond and toss a liner in so I can get my fish moved over. Still have an enormous amount of packing to do as well. It's really going to take everything I have, but will be worth it in the end.

I will keep you posted as best as I can. I'd love to join in an upcoming trade, especially as I am digging plants.

I'd love to send Jo some Plume Poppy if she still wants. Miss you Jo!

Gloria.......hope you are doing well!!!

Marea, i'm so glad you and DH found a new place. I look forward to hearing all about it. HUGS

Dianne, I am really getting into edible's as well. Once we move I am planning on a large veggie garden and have started collecting seeds. I've found some wonderful things that not only look delicious, but are gorgeous as well. We will have to chat more. I'd love to hear what you are looking to grow.
    Growing our own, organic food is going to be especially important over the next few years and beyond.

I can hardly believe it's almost time to start planning a 2nd birthday party. Talon is just the apple of my eye and you wouldn't belive what a character he is. He's already figured out how to push Mommy's buttons. ;)

It's really hard for me to catch up on all of you at this point so maybe each member can do a quick summary for all the MIA's???

Thanks for thinking of me,
    Dawn (mamabirrd)

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dianne P.....Thank you for responding to my email. I do understand your desire to grow your own food. I plan to raise a larger garden this year than in the past but I will keep my flowers too;0)

I hope you WILL continue to drop in and visit us at this forum. We do miss you. It was interesting to learn that you have a different philosophy and what your plans are. And I hope you won't leave us entirely. There is nothing that says you have to participate in trading. Nothing that says how often you have to post. But please DO post from time to time and keep in touch by email if you want.

The TD's miss you.

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dawn it is so good to hear from you. I know little Talon like all babies requires so much time. It's so hard to believe that Talon is almost 2 years old.

I'm sure everyone, like me, has missed hearing about what's going on with you. I especially was thinking about you when the Steelers beat the Cardinals. I missed your photo's of Talon and watching your house come together. I guess to summarize it all...I missed your enthuiasm for life.

I am sorry to hear that Jason is also out of a job right now. So many people are struggling with no job or one that pays so little. Unfortunately, I don't expect any good changes for the next few years.

I remember the original picture and plans you showed us of your house. I'm happy to hear it is clear enough to completion that you can move in soon. Landscaping for you this spring and summer sounds like a lot of fun. A blank slate to start over with. Please do tell us what veggies you plan to grow. I'm thinking of looking for some heirloom seeds to mix among the other retail ones that I buy.

To catch you and our other missing folk up on me...I became a grammy almost six months ago and have bored everyone to death with talking about Gunner and posting pictures. I hope more people will post pictures of their children and grandchildren...Which brings me back to miss seeing photos of Rebecca and Ellen's children.

Come back you Mia's. We miss you.

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

I'm glad to see some of our lost members posting... woo hoo.

Dawn, I can't believe Talon's almost two. Please post some photos.

Anyone know what I should do with the seedpod on my amaryllis? Should I try to grow them, and if so, do I need to do anything special other than "put in soil and water?" :)

Thanks,
    Paul

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Paul, I planted some Anaryllis seeds several years ago. Just for the fun of it, you know. If I remember right, I did the damp paper towel thing to germinate the seeds. Then planted. I'm sure you could just plant the seeds normally and barely cover. I know I planted 10 seeds, most germinated. Then I made the mistake of not watering them enough the first summer. Lost half of the seedlings. Then the cat/or other animal tipped over one one of the pots and chewed the plants, I tossed them. I now have 2 remaining and I do believe they just might be big enough to flower this year. I waited till they were 3 years before letting them go dormant in the winter here. I know I've read that somewhere.

You probably think I'm crazy sending you all those amaryllis a year or 2 ago, but keeping these babies. Well, that's just it, they are my babies and I want to see them bloom before I give them away. I think this is their 4 or 5 year.

I have Cliva that I've grown from seed and I can't seem to get them to bloom. I'm still so sad about that. Some are pretty big, I'm sure its been 5 to 7 years now.
    I really followed the directions last fall on how to get them to bloom. Nothing. :o(

Keep us informed on your Amaryllis experiment!
    I'm a seed addict you know.
    I'm growing a variety of peppers this year.

So Old Dianne, I know what you are talking about when you say you are going back to the food gardens. I will be clearing one part of a flower garden to make into my first real veggie garden here. But I'm not ready to get rid of those flowers ... most are my daylily seedlings that haven't bloomed yet ... more of my babies. lol I will be expanding another one of my flower beds to move these babies too.
    Everything I will plant in my veggie garden I will start from seed, and I have a ton of veggie seeds to choose from.

• ellenh
    15 years ago

Hi everyone

Im sorry Ive been MIA for a few months. Debs recently emailed me a very sweet email asking me to not be so much of a stranger. Ive been quiet because, quite frankly, Ive been very embarrassed. Last September I joined a swap. Right around when it was time to send out my part of the swap, my life became crazy, hectic, and took a severe turn for the worse. Among other things, it looked like I was going to lose my house. I was so worried about what was going on at home by the time things settled down winter came in very early and very hard. I couldnt dig up plants to send and I couldnt afford to go shopping to buy stuff to send. I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place.

At this point I would like to apologize to Melinda for not acknowledging her wonderful package that she sent me. A simply HUGE hellebore, wonderful campanulas, and an adorable scarecrow decoration. Ive wanted hellebores for years now and was blown away by the size of the plant you sent. You deserved a big acknowledgment on that. Im sorry I let you down.

And then theres Carol to whom I was supposed to send a package. Please accept my sincere embarrassed apologies. With so many things going on in my life, I felt a little overwhelmed. Its not an excuse but an explanation. I couldnt afford to buy anything but when the snowstorm came early, it destroyed any ability to try to dig things up to send to you. I should have emailed an apology but I didnt know how to fix my mistake. I owe you a box. Soon (I hope) will come the spring thaw and I can start shipping again.

(Not so old) Dianne I completely relate to what you are trying to do. In my efforts to be as frugal as possible, I have been trying to be more self sufficient. I plan on expanding my garden quite a bit. I tried canning for the first time this past fall with pickles. I hope to get a pressure canner this year to can much more. We have chickens and goats. I love the fact that Ive bought very few eggs this year, most have come from our chickens. Id love to mix edibles with my ornamentals as well. I think that lots of people are looking to do veggies this year as a way of saving money on skyrocketing food costs.

Marea I hope that you resolve your problem with your crazy neighbor soon. Im sorry that life has thrown a few curve balls your way. Unless I can straighten out my mess, Ill be in the same boat.

Dawn my old boss lived without a kitchen for about a year while they remodeled the old one. She has two little ones too. A fridge and a microwave and you can do it. As a side benefit, she lost about 20lbs.

Gloria hope that you are feeling better.

Carol glad to hear someones doing really well in this economy!

On a brighter note my little angel turned seven last Thursday, I tried to tell her that she has to stay three years old but she just laughs at me. The amount of planning necessary for a kids bday is mind boggling. First cake & presents at home on her birthday, next a party for the family, next treats & gift bags at school, finally will come the kids party at our house. In my neck of the woods, pretty much no one has parties at home for the kids, they all have it at some place that does parties. They all cost $3-400 which I cannot afford. When all this is done, Ill be starting to plan my sons bday stuff. Don't get me wrong but is it me or does this seem a little crazy? What is everyone else doing with school aged kids?

Sorry for the book,

Ellen

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Ellen, someone has to stay sane about the kids birthdays! One year I would have a party for the daughter, the next year it was a party for the son. One party a year! On their 'off' year, we just had the family party, nothing extragant. The parties were at our house in the basement with a sleepover. Always thought of some cool things to do. There are sites on the web for great birthday party ideas.
    But then again, most people here still keep the Birthday parties within reason.

The gift bags for school must be something new, we just did cupcakes.

Once they were older ... middle school/high school, they did something like a movie and eating out. Their last Birthday party from us was sweet 16. Daughter got a limosine to pick up all the girls, out to dinner, then the limosine brought them all back to us for cake and presents and whatever ... In the basement. Son had a paintball party at a paintball place ... we paid for everyone ... that cost more than daughters 16th.

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ellen I am so glad to see you posted. Don't forget to post pictures of the kids. It's been a long time since we've seen our platinum beauty. I wish Rebecca would post photos of our prettiest red head. I don't mean to leave the boys out, I want to see pictures of them too...it's just that your two little ones hair makes their looks so awesome. Check out our picture forum for new pictures of my grandson. Notice those knock out blue eyes.

I got an email from Marea. Some of their big burly neighbors have come to their defense against the cat lady and she is hopeful that the problem will be resolved soon. Unfortunately, she has been very sick. It sounds like they both have either the flu or pneumonia. In Marea's case, it sounds like both. I hope she feels better and return to the group really soon.

Sharon, Dianne, Dawn, Ellen and all that are interested in growing more edibles this year: I am thinking about ordering some commercial heirloom edible seeds. They run about $2.00 a pack...if we got our heads and purses together maybe we could each order different kinds of seeds and then share them. We could also do this with
    the usual retail ones too. Anyone interested?

Melinda, New Dianne, and Joy..we would love to have your ideas and input on things. Seeing things from a fresh perspective would be very helpful.

Paul and other members...we have a new guy who wants to join our group...his name is Kamil and he is new to GW so won't we eligible to join our group under the present rules until April. I have encouraged him to post on our sites and tell us about himself. I saw that he has posted a nice collection of carnivorus (sp) plants that I know everyone would enjoy seeing....check it out if you haven't been to the photo forum recently and please make him feel welcome, answer questions and help him out where ever needed.

Nancy...anything new? Keep us updated.

Karen...got more pictures of your beautiful garden to share?

Carol...I envy you your energy. Am I right in thinking that you are a great grandmother? Even considering you and your daughters were child brides...you still have to be older than me (55) and I feel tired most of the time.

Shirley...I don't know what the TD's would do without you.
    Even with working, and doing all you do with your family you always find time to drop in and say hi and let everyone know whats going on. You are a true blessing.

This post is much too long...so I won't try to include everyone this time. I'll catch up with you later.

I'm still hoping we will hear from more of our missing.

Debbie

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Debbie !!! you are not allowed to be sick, so get over it !!!old Dianne, nice to see you and our other oldies posting my dh told me several years ago that we had to use all of our land for food so I have dwarf fruit trees in my flower beds, circles of beets and radishes among my flowers, I did point out to him that daylilies are edible so I am allowed lots of those. some edibles are really pretty, like strawberries and blueberries. I think people who can't afford diamonds send flowers. keeping me busy but sales all in all are down and owner of shop is holding on by a thread. dh planned for this bad economy went to work at lowes in plumbing says people without money will have to fix their own toilets, keeping him in a job, working so far. he also took out his 401k at a loss to pay off our house. with the falling market he would have lost more than the penalty by now. so for now we are okay. not eating steak and lobster tho. three more years and I'm eligable for social security if they still have it, so hope my shop will hold on untill then. Ellen, I don't remember you owing me a box, so forget about it, I'm just happy to see you back, maybe we should relax our rules a little to get some new people. keeping the one about no votes meaning no if they are founded. sorry for rambling. I was thinking about doing a game just trying to think of a good one. hugs to all carol

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!
    Ellen- oh dear, don't you know that a box is just that! You should have been here letting your friends pray and help you through your bad times! I am just glad you are ok and that you enjoyed the box! I hold no hard feelings whatsover! I sent you an email. plmk if you didn't get!
    Dawn-I used to read and follow the TD's long before I was a member and loved your progress on the house and pics of Talon! I would love to see more of that! I feel I know you even though I don't
    Carol-I know what you mean about the fruit trees and gardening. I do veggie garden every year! But I plan to do much bigger this year! (PLanning anyway! Lol) I am lucky that I do have the land to do it on. Now I just need a man to help me! LOL! But don't miss having someone tell me what to plant!!
    To all the missing TD people-I would love to have you all posting more! Since I joined it is kinda sparse but I would love to hear about your lives, dreams, families, etc.
    Don't have to trade!
    Debbie-I will write back later.
    Shirley-I have to agree with Debbie! You always find time to post a little something and I am one who is glad!

I would definitely be interested in going in on some heirlooms! I just did this with someone and it is nice to have twice the seeds for small amt. of money! And one can never have too many heirloom seeds! I do have quite a few already but definitely can find more! And at $2. or so a pack that is great! So holler when you figure something out! Or I can explain how we did it!
    I am thinking of something for March, not sure if it will be something anyone wants to do, but something different!
    Have a great evening. God Bless all! Melinda

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness how nice to sign on and see so many posts.

Dawn-So sorry to hear about your DH out of work. I pray God
    will heal our nation. So many are without work and having to live in cars and wherever. Sure would love to see pictures of little Talon. It is hard to believe he is almost two.

Diane-Hopefully we can have a bigger veggie garden this year also. I plan to can lots of soups, vegetables and jellies.

Ellen-How nice to see your post....Missed you.

Debbie and Melinda you two are so kind..thanks.

Tuesday morning I was bending down to retrieve my iron when my back went out. I have been in terrible pain and finally went to the Dr. Friday. The pain is mostly in my hips now. It hurts to sit, stand or lay down. The pain pills he prescribed are helping somewhat. Then this morning my Mom was taken to the emergency room. They ran several tests and found she was having seizures. She actaully had one when the Dr. was examining her. It's hard not to spend alot of time with her in the hospital but it's very difficult with this back situation.

Shirley

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Morning all :)

I've been here reading,just not posting.
    Not much going on in my life.Hubby still not working.
    Well not at a normal job,he works out of the garage.
    Works on cars,bikes and so on.So we're holding on to the
    house.Managing to make ends meet for the time being,some months its hard.

Dawn would love to see pictures of Talon and the house.
    Its so much fun watching how both grow:)

I've been planing veggies with the flowers for years.
    Just tomatos cucumbers and once corn.Now and then pumkins.
    Maybe I'll try doing a few more things.

Wheres Jo..would love to hear about her greenhouse.
    Did she get it all up and running??

Mamabear,hope your doing well:)Miss you!

Shirley sorry to hear about your Mom,hope shes doing better.
    And your back is doing better too.

Does anyone know what happen to the co-op group that Pat headed up.I went to look for it and it seem to be gone.
    Was a yahoo group.Anyone know what I'm talking about.

The only nice thing I can say about hubby not working is that he can work on the house:)He hates it.But we bought stuff for the house a few years back.So we really don't have to buy much at all.And he can finish all the rooms he started on.Like the bathroom and up stairs hallway.I hate drywall dust.It gets every where:(

Waving bye bye,nice to see more posting.
    Group Hugs,Jean/Dirtpig

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Hello Jean! I saw your pics on the other post! They are gorgeous! Would love to see more pics!
    Sharon/toomany animals-I see on the pics post you were going to need to find some of the siberian iris! I have tons if anyone wants some this spring!
    Shirley-I hate to hear that about your mother! I am sure that is a big worry. So many things can cause seizures, but alot are very easily controlled. I also hate to hear you put your back out! Nothing worse than hip and back pain! My heart goes out to you! The pain pills help but sometimes don't fix it all and I certainly hate the way they make me feel! I will keep you both in my prayers and hope for the best!
    I think everyone is pretty much going to be doing lots of veggies this year! I certainly do. I like to do canning and make my own sauces, pickles, etc. Seems more and more are looking to do more veggies and less flowers! I still need my flowers!! But do love my veggies also.
    Hope everyone's weekend was great! My sister came over today and brought fried chicken, deviled eggs, homemade hot rolls and fixed mashed potatoes and gravy here. She also brought a turtle cake! OH my God! If you haven't eaten one of these they are great! If you love chocolate, like I do! It was a nice visit. She did it for my BD which was last Sunday and she couldn't make it for that. It totally blew my trying to eat healthier and wiser right out the window!! LOL! But will go back to that tomorrow! Now for another piece of cake! ----Melinda

• veeja11
    15 years ago

I definately a,m past due for my Talon fix !! also just realized Jo is mia. I have a pet dog and a garden on my space lots of people keep them for their grand kids, might get Dawson one of those, they are really addicting. Shirley praying for a fast recovery for you. big soft hugs carol

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jean, I was so glad to see you posting. As soon as I saw that you had posted here, I went to the picture forum and sure enough I saw your beautiful shade garden. I have really missed your quiet, funny post's. Don't leave us for so long anymore. I agree with you too that Jo should check in and update us on what has been going on with her.

Shirley I feel so sorry for you, there is nothing quiet like hip and back pain. There is no comfortable position and pain meds can only do so much. I do hope that this heals itself quickly. Please let us know what they find out about your mom. Why she is having seizures and what they plan to do to help. We're here to talk to anytime you need us.

I got the seed swap in the mail today so now it has made it's way back to me. Only I got back about 3 times more seeds than what I sent in the beginning. I am going to list what was in the envelope and if any one wants any of these let me know and I will share.

A large pack of mixed perennials, 3 sharpies...I really needed these, I use them for everything. Canna "Journeys EndCockscomb "flamingo Feather", Blue Eyed African Daisy,Echinacea, Purple and White Coneflower Mix,Baby's Breath, Nasturtium "Empress of India",Zinnia "Purple Prince", Pink Snapdragon, Sweet Pea Mix "Little Sweetheart", Morning Glory "Heavenly Blue", Poppy "Brilliant Red",Marigold "Snowman Hybrid", Forget me Not, Columbine "Barlow Doubles Mix", Morning Glory "Violet Feathers", Aster "Red Burst", Lg. Instant Bouquet Garden, Blue Fescue Grass,Penstemon "Violet Dusk", Nasturtium "Fordhook Fans Mix", Zinnia "Prince and Princess Mix", Cosmos "Double Click",Sweet Pea "Lavender Spice", Mexican Hats, Sunflower "Ruby Moon", Bachelors Button "Blue Boy", Sugar Baby Watermelon, Sunflower "Ebony and Gold", Rapa Centroventia, Lantana Pink, Cosmos, Coreopis "Early Sunrise",Morning Glory Mt. Fugii Red and Blue, Rose of Sharon Pink and purple.
    Let me know if anyone wants me to share my bounty with you, I got back lots more than I gave. That's always the way with you guys.

I have done some research about which commercial heirloom seed sellers have the best inventory and quality and the name I hear most often is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Google their online store an see what you think. If you know of a good source please share. I've also thought about how we might share any heirloom seed and the idea I've came up with is that anyone who wants to participate in a heirloom swap can list what they have on hand now. The rest of the members can check out what is listed and then contact the person who has the seeds listed and you can work out a deal. Anyone can list that wants to trade and it's okay to let others know what you are most interested in getting. As we order and trade and get other kinds of heirlooms we can relist until we need to get outside and start planting these seeds. If anyone else has a better idea please let us know.

Another really long email...sorry, I don't know how to be brief:0)

Debbie

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's that time of year again...we have had our first calf of the season. Two years ago we had a calf born that had some unusual markings. I showed the picture to everyone on our picture forum and asked for suggestions for names. Marea suggested Tiara because the marking on her forehead looked like a crown. Tiara is now expecting her first calf any time. I will take a picture when this happens and post it on our forum.

I don't have many heirloom seeds right now but I am going to list the ones I have. If anyone is interested in exchanging some of my seeds for some of yours...email me.

Sweet Pepper "Chinese Giant"
    Melon "Hale's Best Jumbo"
    Eggplant "Black Beauty"
    Radish "Watermelon"
    Tomato "Brandywine Pink"
    Pole Beans "Dragon Tongue"
    Cucumber "Lemon"
    Winter Squash "Boston Marrow"

I also have Kentucky Blue Pole and Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans but I'm not sure if they are heirloom or not. I hope to get an order into Baker Creek soon. Let me know if you want me to order some for you or if you would rather order your own...maybe we can get our heads together so we don't order the same things and can trade around with each other.

Yes, Yes, Yes Melinda...please let us know what you would like to do for March. Anyone else want to sponsor something this spring?

Big Hugs,
    Debbie

• cody_mi
    15 years ago

i guess i didn't realize how long it's been since i've posted here. there really hasn't been all that much happening with me, definetly not much good.
    i hit a tree in september and screwed my jeep up good, got it fixed and during an ice storm drove over a branch and cracked my bumper again.
    i got layed off in november and got turned down for unemployment, so i've been living on my savings. which really hasn't been that bad except for the boredom. been trying to find another job, but a lot of places aren't hiring until later in the spring.
    i've got to get rid of around 200 dl's this year, i have way too many. i haven't been trading as i need to be very particular about what i have here. sticking strictly to plants i can hybridize with. so if yall would like the list, i'll know exactly whats going and whats staying in july.
    if anything else happens i'll let yall know, otherwise i do check the posts every few weeks.

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone else had trouble posting here? I tried several times last night.

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Waving at Cody.Sorry about your jeep,but guessing you weren't hurt.I hope you put up a fight for your unemployment.My hubby had too and he got it.

Deb,I posted more pictures late night with no problems.
    WOW thats a lot of seeds :)

March is still to cold here to do much for swaps yet.But will love reading what Melinda has in mind.

Off and running,later all

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I typed something up twice for Cody last night and was told when I tried to submit them that they had an invalid URL? Anyway, I wanted to welcome him back and tell him it feels like years since we heard from him. I've always enjoyed getting his perspective on gardening as he seems really knowledgeable.

Please list your dl's when you know what you are going to get rid of...I'm sure many of us would like to trade/buy some from you. I have looked your list up several times and have always been impressed by all the beauties you have.

Please keep posting so we will know how things are going for you. It doesn't sound like the last few months have been among your best, but hopefully things will improve soon.

Jean...I've been to the picture site to see your new ones. I would love to see your yard/garden in it's entirity. It must be gorgeous. I hope you get lots of time to enjoy it come spring and summer.

Debbie

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just stopping by to say hello to everyone and to wish you a great weekend. We now have 4 new baby calves, only 46 more to go.

Very windy here last night. More trees, barns, & cables down.

Is anyone besides Melinda and myself interested in a heirloom seed trade? If not, she and I can just do a normal trade.

Debbie

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Debbie, sorry, I'm all set now with my seeds for the veggie garden, so not interested in the heirloom seeds.

I'm sooooo ready for the weekend. It's been a very long - lots of overtime week ... with lots of depressing news about the economy and General Motors (where hubby works ... still).

I splurged and bought another bottle of Spumanti.

Hooray for the Weekend!

{{gwi:1241444}}

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone! It's time to start the springing into spring swap!!
    Please sign up between now and the 13th of March. I will assign partners that evening!! Please mail the package by the 2oth!! Our first day of spring, Yeah!!
    1. Send each person one type of plant or bulb! With it being so early for some people, many places now have plants for spring out! Walmart, Lowe's, nurseries, etc all have peonies, dahlias, cannas, etc. out for sale at inexpensive prices. When you sign up you can list what you really don't want or what you do.
    2. Send an inexpensive garden or yard item to have for them to remember you by everytime they see it! Garden rock, windchime, windsock, bird house, animal, etc. If don't do yard things, send a little trinket or something.
    3. Please send a nice note or card telling them to have a wonderful spring and what special people they are!
    This should be inexpensive to do and with the economy the way it is, maybe this will allow more people to join!
    I will be doing a few little games here and there this month to get a couple little prizes!
    So bear with me as this is my first ever swap and let's have fun with it!
    Please post yeah or nay and come say hello!
    Let the fun begin!

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Ok, I'll be the first to sign up!
    I would love any of the dahlias, Princess di canna, or whatever you would like to send!!
    I love any kind of yard art! Do angels, fairies, bird things! Like it all!

Got a nice note from Nancy/jaceysgranny. She has had to postpone her knee surgery so she would like us to continue to keep her in our thoughts and prayers! Also please keep all the others in our prayers also. Times are bad for many right now!

Debbie, please let me know when you might be placing an order to Baker Creek! There are a few things I would like so maybe I can buy some and we can share. I am planning on going to their spring thing this year! It is in May and I can't wait. Only about an hour and half from me, so will be fun!

I am so ready for spring. We had snow all day yesterday! Would have had 10 to 12 inches if hadn't melted alot. But still have a couple and this morning it is 10 degrees with windchill of 2 degrees! I know that is better than some of you have had but it was in upper 60's just few days ago and suppose to be in 70's in less than a week. So up and down! Really hurting my things! Daffs are up, forsythia and quince blooming. Probably will ruin my fruit trees, the ones that aren't busted up from the ice! Keeping fingers crossed!

Come on and sign up everyone! Should be fun! Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Yeah, Thank you Gloria-who is alive and well!!
    For the swap--
    Melinda
    Gloria

Don't miss out! Sign up now!

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Sure sign of Spring... my plum tree is starting to bloom. I planted the daylily seeds I received from Sharon and Marea last year. Hope I did it right :).

Melinda, count me in on the swap. Thanks for hosting.

Great to see some of our long lost peeps posting again.

Thanks,
    Paul

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Count me in too Melinda. I haven't had time to do a lot of checking the catalog at Baker's Creek yet...but I will e-mail you before ordering anything so we can partner and divide the seeds.

Gloria...I tried to use the link you sent to your store in your last 2 emails...and Internet Explorer says it cannot link to that web site? Anyone else having trouble? I've tried other sites and didn't have any problem.

Okay everyone...hibernating time is over...it's time to rock and roll. Stretch, yawn, scratch and get back into the swing of things.

• jaceysgranny
    15 years ago

Dawn, I'm sorry to hear that your DH is out of work. Hopefully ya'll can sell house #1. We moved in before we had ours completed. The upstairs only had plywood floors for several years and I painted that around the edges and put rugs down. It was really cute and a lot cheaper than springing for carpet at that time. We didn't want to have to borrow money so did what we had to. All of the living space we needed was downstairs and 2 guest rooms upstairs.
    Ellen, I'm so sorry for your troubles but glad you found a way to save your house and hopefully things are looking up for you.
    Marea, you need to get over it so we can hear from you. We miss you and want you well. Do I need to come take care of your neighbor? ;+) I'm glad you have some good neighbors to help. You asked me if the iris you sent bloomed last year, no I'm sorry to say they rotted in the ground. We had a really wet winter last year and I lost several things I was proud of.
    Shirley, I can certainly sympathize with you on the back problem. I sure hope it doesn't last long so you can be confortable and also be able to sit with your mom. Working with so many who have seizures, I know that they can control most of them and we have some who have gone 15 years or more without them so I hope she is one of those.
    Jean, sorry to hear that your DH is out of work too. There are so many who are having a hard time that was not brought on themselves.
    I thank GOD everyday for us being able to have a home and food. Since I lost my job I have to be on COBRA insurance for both of us which is $984 a month. He goes on Medicare 4/1 and that will bring it down about $600 but we'll still have to pay for supplements, etc. I'm still on Workmen's Comp and am going to file for Unemployment this week. Thursday I filed for Social Security Disability. I've needed to for a few years but just didn't want to give up my job.
    Melinda, I haven't had the turtle cake but turtle brownies are awesome and rich!! YUM!!
    Cody, it's nice to see you around again.
    It does look nice to see more people here again.
    Anita and Jo, we miss ya'll. Come back!
    Hello Paul, I'll bet you already have bunches of things blooming doncha?
    Debbie, thank you for holding us all together and all you do for the group. I can't imagine taking on the job.
    Can't wait to see the blooms, and be able to run my fingers thru the dirt.
    Melinda, I want to join the swap. It sounds like one I can still participate in and have fun.
    I would order some heirlooms but am not sure how my summer is going to go.
    Thank you again everyone for all the awesome cards and sweet messages you've sent me. It has really made me feel special. That is one of the bestest things about this wonderful group of friends. You're real and it's great knowing you all.

Nancy

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Debbie-I'm so sorry I didn't get to post that I sent the seed package out to you. My life has been really hectic (and I'm not even gardening yet) yeesh.

Mom was sent from our local hometown hospital to a heart trauma hopital in Asheville, NC last Monday. She was there until Thursday and we got to bring her home. She now has seizures, extreme high blood pressure, came home with oxygen that she will be on 24-7's, and a heart condition.
    She broke down on us Friday and said she didn't want to live anymore. We have been staying with her around the clock. But on a happier note my back is better, thank you Jesus.

Melinda-Sadly I will not be able to do this swap. Thank you and everyone else for all you do for the group.

Cody-Hello...long time no posts. Good luck on finding a new job.

Nancy-Yes that insurance will surely get you when you are out of work. DH is still out of work but thank goodness his cobra is only $238.00 per month. Good luck on your disabilty claim. My Brother filed for it 6 months ago and still has not received any money. Supposedly it takes a long time to get it started.

Ellen-So nice to hear from you. I'm going to sign up for facebook. So many are doing that now.

Marea-Miss you....SOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHHHHH

Anita, Jo, Dawn, MaryS, MaryB.....miss all you too

Shirley

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Yeah, it is good to see people stopping in to sign up or just say hello!
    Shirley-So very glad your back is doing better! Very sorry to hear that about your mother! I will continue to keep you and her in my prayers!
    Paul-glad you are joining! I bet things are really nice at your place! We had snow just yesterday! YUK!!
    Nancy-so good to see you posting! And welcome to the swap!
    Debbie-as always good to see you!

Come on everyone! It'll be fun and nice to get something to pick your spirits up!
    So we have these so far--
    Melinda
    Gloria
    Paul
    Debbie
    Nancy
    welcome everyone! I am so looking forward to Spring!!
    Melinda

• mareas
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I have missed YOU all SO MUCH and am so happy to be able to be back online with y'all!

Count me in on the fun little March swap, Melissa.
    So we have these so far--
    Melinda
    Gloria
    Paul
    Debbie
    Nancy
    Marea

SPRING IS COMING!! I've got my first daffodils in bloom!!
    I don't have my 'puter hooked up yet so I can't share a photo of the GLORIOUS sight - but they are waving their little brilliant yellow trumpets and daring the other daffs into bloom...
    The tulips are leafing out & the wild geese are laying eggs on the edge of our rented acre - hold on everyone, I swear we have lived through another Winter & your flowers are just days away!
    My daylilies are all growing already, too, and over the past couple weeks I've got them all tidy & weeded, I got outside for an hour at a time but I got them done.
    Got the evil cat nut done, too, she is not a threat any more, just a poor crazy thing that is unreachable. I tried to befriend her, you know me, but it's not possible.

Nancy, I will just have to resend those Iris this Summer - here's hoping you will be up & at it come July. So happy to see you posting again!!

Sharon, hope that Spumanti joy lasted through today! GREAT photo LOL
    Thank you so much for the card, and thank you Melissa & Debbie. I'm finally well enough to sit up and do stuff again & am planning to write all 3 of you...

Shirley, sure wish you lived close enough I could take you to my chiropractor - he has done instant miracles on both Herb & me several times. Glad to hear that your back is feeling better with just time. You know you have my prayers for helping your mother through this awful time in her life.

Speaking of awful times, gosh, Cody mon - wishing you best of luck with new job & a happy Jeep! I found you getting Palace Garden Beauty x Entwined In the Vine seeds.. I got some EITV x Blue Inspiration seeds, will be SO much FUN to see what we get! Please do send me your cultivar wish list, I might have something you'd like this year. I never did find a list of the sempervivums I've sent you, dang it.

OK, will write more tomorrow. Just remember daffodils are blooming, everyone! ~ Marea

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Ok, Melinda, you got me, I'm just blooming with the Garden Spirit now that we are into March (even though it is 9 degrees outside). I'll sign up for the swap.

So whoever gets me ... I'm in love with Hyacinths again. :o)

Any animal item/trinket for the garden is great - no angels please.

Marea, we don't have anything blooming, but in a few protected areas we can see the crocus leaves pushing thorugh.

Nancy, nice to see you joining in ong the swap.

Shirley, Glad to hear your back is getting better. Hope you Mom is doing the same.

I've planted my tomato seeds, I peek at them every morning. :oO
    Later,sharon

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Good Morning all! I see it has changed some since I was last here! Hurray! Come on out the rest of you! It doesn't have to be a big box, just a little token of friendship and celebrating coming spring, which I think everyone is so ready for!!
    Sorry, I haven't been on much. My grandson is down with the flu! Not sure if it is a 48 hr. thing or if he should start getting better today! Just in time for me to get, as we are suppose to go to Springdale for my granddaughter's 13th birthday party Saturday! And I certainly don't want to miss it! She's my only girl and she is a girly girl!! Oh Lord!
    Mareas-so glad things are going better for you! I would love to see where you live! I bet it is very gorgeous there! Welcome to the little swap! Please stop in and post whenever you can! And everyone else also!
    Sharon-wonderful for you to join! (and everyone else also!)
    I know what you mean about peeking at your seeds every
    morning! I have broccoli, brussel sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, ornamental peppers, and other items, besides my flowers are waiting to pop up. I now have 6 lemon meyer seedlings about an inch tall! I peek at them several times daily!!
    For those of you who would join if was a little later-just send a little yard ornament or trinket and nice note with an IOU for a plant when they come up! It's not about what we get, just the fun in knowing someone is thinking of you and cares enough to send a little something! Soemthing to pick up everyone's spirits in the lousy economy everyone is having these days!
    Shirley-I hope things are going better with your Mom. Please keep us posted! I will continue to keep you and her in my prayers.
    Ok so now we are at:
    Melinda
    Gloria
    Nancy
    Paul
    Debbie
    Marea
    Sharon
    Looking good! Would love to see others coming out and posting to say hello even if don't want to swap! Love to get to know more of you better!
    Have a great day! Melinda

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Waving to Marea :)
    OH,oh I'm so jealous..hehe Nothing is even thinking of blooming here.Daffodils love,love them :)So happy to hear things are going better for you.

Sign me up!!!Come on spring.

Remember to smile,you just might brighten someones day!

• mary_s
    15 years ago

Hello to all you traveling daylilies! I guess I am one of those who have been MIA again! I was reading about once a week and for awhile there was not much new activity! Sorry I have not been posting lately. Not much new to report except the usual complaints about the LONG winter!
    Hopefully spring is around the corner for all of us! I think I kinda went into hibernation with all of my quilting projects!

It is so good to hear from some of our members who have been gone even longer than me! Welcome back! Glad to hear from Gloria, Cody, Jean, Marea, Nancy, Dawn and actually everyone! I have missed our group!

I think I will pass for this swap. Nothing much as far as plants, bulbs etc are out here yet. Last year we had a blizzard in April so I do not think winter is done with us here yet! I will be anxious to see what everyone gets, though.Thanks for emailing me about the swap, Melinda and to Debbie for the nice "thinking of you" email!

Paul, the "Clown" amarylis you sent me for our Christmas exchange is in full bloom today and just beautiful! I was a little worried it got too cold as it arrived on a frigid day! The white one has not bloomed but has alot of folliage!

Marea, glad to hear you are getting settled again. You have flowers already?????

Mary S

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Hello Mary and Jean!! So glad to see you posting! As I am sure others are definitely glad to see everyone that has posted for a while!
    MaryS, I do understand about not doing the swap as it is kinda early, but you could always do an IOU!! Definitely post some about the quilting you have done this winter! I too also do quilting and love it! This is the first winter I haven't done any, just couldn't find time or unable to get to it! Would love to see some of the quilts you have made! When I learn how to post pics I am going to post some of mine and my flowers and my family!!! LOL! Anyway doing quilts is my second love behind flowers!! Going into a fabric store and garden nursery is like putting a kid in a candy store!
    Welcome Jean! Glad to have you aboard! I keep looking at your pics and they are so cool! I have lots of rocks (love them too!)but they are so different from yours! I use them alot in my beds also, but they sure don't have the same look!
    Ok, let's hear from some other members!! Just stop in and say yeah or nay!Let us know how you are all doing-and I for one would love to get to know everyone better!!
    For now-
    Melinda
    Gloria
    Paul
    Debbie
    Nancy
    Marea
    Sharon
    Jean
    Looking good!! Melinda

• mareas
    15 years ago

((Waving with big grin to Jean & MaryS))

Yes, I've a whole POTFUL of miniature 'Tete a Tete' daffodils in bloom, along with some of my Viola seedlings!

Some fabulous someone in our group sent them to me & they've obviously loved being potted since the 12" pot is chuck full already!
    I'm so grateful y'all turned me onto daff's - I especially love them now & am so looking forward to the others blooming as well.
    One cannot have too many daffodils, jonquils or narcissis! *grin*
    Nor too many tulips!! My new very favorite is 'Texas Flame' - I got one fat bulb from a Traveling Daylily & it's parrot type flower was IMMENSE
    and lasted 3 weeks last Spring! I took a couple dozen photos of it, LOL! Probably will again this year - just love it!
    Well, when you are moving pots around the country, I'm here to tell you one CAN have too many bulbs, but I get so MUCH pleasure from them,
    nearly as much as the daylilies! [[shocking!!]]
    I got my daylily list ready yesterday & hope to get my 'puter hooked up today to start listing them for sale, if anybody wants to see it to set up a trade, just email me.

Marching forth into a new Spring, ~ Marea

Here is a link that might be useful: Tete a Tete & other miniature daffodils

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Welcome back Marea!!!!! So glad you are back. Have missed you bunches! :O) I hope the daffs that I sent you will be sprouting soon. I know they weren't the Tete A Tete but I can't remember the name of them. I have a couple here blooming and my Freesia is starting to bloom.

I have been down with some kind of bug that has been going around like crazy here. I am feeling better just not quite 100% yet.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Shirley, I hope your back is better and your mom is doing ok. Sending prayers your way for sure.

Dianne

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi M~...I am so glad to see you posting and know that you are back with us. You were greatly missed. I'll email you this weekend when DS, DIL, and grandbaby go home.

We're now at 9 baby calves. Too muddy to get any pictures yet but I will when I get a chance.

Melinda, I have been checking out several possiblities for heirloom seeds. I will email you also this week and we can get our heads together to order our seed.

Jean and Mary S. I was so happy to see that you had posted and Jean, as always, I love your photos of your garden/yard.

Happy Birthday March Angels:
    Mary B. March 22
    Joann S. March 27

Debbie

• budsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't understand why photobucket removed my graphic...It was just a glittery Happy Birthday...So besides bumping this back to the top...I am going to replace the Happy Birthday graphic for Mary B. and Jo.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday also to Mary and Jo!! Looks like everyone is busy the last few days! Must be outside doing the numerous spring things!
    I am going to be gone for the weekend. My granddts. bd party is tomorrow! She is 13.
    Dianne-I hope you are feeling better also!
    Shirley=do hope your back is getting better. Please let us know how your Mom is!
    Marea-good to see you posting! I also love daffs and other things as much as daylilies!! So many beauties out there!
    Well, we still have one more week to sign up for swap!!! So come on all you who are still missing! Would love to have you join us!!
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Melinda

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Wow our Marea is back, and Gloria kinda !!! sign me up prayers are with all those in need. Shirley just enjoy every minute you have with your mother and give her a big hug for me. what is the mail by date ?happy birthday to our birthday babies. hugs to all carol