Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

NEW: Winter Sowing Swap 2014-2015

heavenlyfarm
9 years ago

Hi and Welcome!! :) If you have not been following my other thread about doing my own swap, then hello, I'm Michael and I hope to host a great swap! I'm sorry about the delayed timing and I know it is a last minute swap for winter sowing!

So for the rules:::

Rule #1 : This swap will run sign-ups till the 21st of January, packages must be mailed in by the 28th of January. I hope to have packages returned within a week time frame and by the 7th or so of February. (like I said this is late minute so please note this)

Rule #2 : HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT :) I would want any of you newbies to have a good time and enjoy your first year of winter sowing and get some great seeds!!

Rule #3 : Post here if you would like to join and let us know about your winter sowing experience and how long you have been doing it or if this is your first time. Also if you wish(I encourage!!!), please post a wish list of your top 10 Wants!!This can be as vague or as specific as you want it to be but please be reminded that it will be harder to match seeds for you if you include only specific things and none was sent in for this swap!

Rule# 4: Please also send me an email with your GardenWeb Username and your mailing address.

Rule #5 : As it is my first time hosting, I will limit the total packets you can send in to 50!(only up to 3 of the same thing/variety please!) Please have each seed packet labeled with the year harvested and your username to prevent you getting stuff back that was yours! PLEASE NO SEEDS OLDER THEN 2013.
SEED PER PACK: I understand that seed counts will vary but please try to include 25 seeds at least in a packet unless it is considered rare or BIG seeds.
****Also please try to include the best seeds listed with the variety instead of "red" or "orange". I think everyone would appreciate less generic seeds!! Those that send more variety named ones, I will do my best to send the same back to you!

Rule #6 : EXTRAS - Please feel free to send in any extra seeds that you do not expect anything back for and will not go towards your 50 packet limit! Please mark on them EXTRA and I will distribute them mostly to winter sowing newbies and then to anyone else!

Rule # 8 : You will get as many packets back as you sent in and most likely, a few more! :)

Rule #9 : When you mail your package, please include 6-8 stamps minimum for return postage, your seeds, and a SENT list of what you sent in for the swap!

RULE # 8 AND IMPORTANT: UPDATE your wish/want list on your gardenweb page!!!!!! Please :)

Closing Speech : I welcome as little or as many participants as possible!! I ask that you all try to do your best to send in some good varieties and seeds! It makes for a better swap and for newbies to winter sowing, it will be much more exciting for them! I will do your best as your host, to make good matches and there will be a PRIZE/DRAWING sometime after the 21st!!! :) So get packing those seeds!! and happy Winter Sowing to everyone! :) I am already over a hundred containers myself! Lol

~michael
heavenlyfarm

Hi and Welcome!! :) If you have not been following my other thread about doing my own swap, then hello, I'm Michael and I hope to host a great swap! I'm sorry about the delayed timing and I know it is a last minute swap for winter sowing!
So for the rules:::

Rule #1 : This swap will run sign-ups till the 21st of January, packages must be mailed in by the 28th of January. I hope to have packages returned within a week time frame and by the 7th or so of February. (like I said this is late minute so please note this)

Rule #2 : HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT :) I would want any of you newbies to have a good time and enjoy your first year of winter sowing and get some great seeds!!

Rule #3 : Post here if you would like to join and let us know about your winter sowing experience and how long you have been doing it or if this is your first time. Also if you wish(I encourage!!!), please post a wish list of your top 10 Wants!!This can be as vague or as specific as you want it to be but please be reminded that it will be harder to match seeds for you if you include only specific things and none was sent in for this swap!

Rule# 4: Please also send me an email with your GardenWeb Username and your mailing address.

Rule #5 : As it is my first time hosting, I will limit the total packets you can send in to 50!(only up to 3 of the same thing/variety please!) Please have each seed packet labeled with the year harvested and your username to prevent you getting stuff back that was yours! PLEASE NO SEEDS OLDER THEN 2013.
SEED PER PACK: I understand that seed counts will vary but please try to include 25 seeds at least in a packet unless it is considered rare or BIG seeds.
****Also please try to include the best seeds listed with the variety instead of "red" or "orange". I think everyone would appreciate less generic seeds!! Those that send more variety named ones, I will do my best to send the same back to you!

Rule #6 : EXTRAS - Please feel free to send in any extra seeds that you do not expect anything back for and will not go towards your 50 packet limit! Please mark on them EXTRA and I will distribute them mostly to winter sowing newbies and then to anyone else!

Rule # 8 : You will get as many packets back as you sent in and most likely, a few more! :)

Rule #9 : When you mail your package, please include 6-8 stamps minimum for return postage, your seeds, and a SENT list of what you sent in for the swap!

RULE # 8 AND IMPORTANT: UPDATE your wish/want list on your gardenweb page!!!!!! Please :)

Closing Speech : I welcome as little or as many participants as possible!! I ask that you all try to do your best to send in some good varieties and seeds! It makes for a better swap and for newbies to winter sowing, it will be much more exciting for them! I will do your best as your host, to make good matches and there will be a PRIZE/DRAWING sometime after the 21st!!! :) So get packing those seeds!! and happy Winter Sowing to everyone! :) I am already over a hundred containers myself! Lol

~michael
heavenlyfarm

**********PARTICIPANTS*************

dawn1972 (Dawn) -RECEIVED
EricaBraun (Erica) - RECEIVED
Panhandle_Seed_Swap (Sheri) - RECEIVED
ishareflowers (Lisa) -RECEIVED
dem_pa - RECEIVED
midwestfarmwife - RECEIVED
kchd (Katie) - RECEIVED
mcc371 (Tammy) -RECEIVED
wilsha - RECEIVED
molanic -RECEIVED
herbal - RECEIVED
ibartoo (Linda) - RECEIVED
Micki777 -RECEIVED
diknownana (Di) -RECEIVED
billingsdj -RECEIVED
naturegirl_2007 -RECEIVED
hibiscusfan -RECEIVED
Ruby_Dog -RECEIVED
KatJaqu -RECEIVED
sunnysouth36604 (Ron)
uptreasa -RECEIVED
Skyblue52- RECEIVED
Cghpnd - RECEIVED

MAILING ADDRESS:
Michael Haftl
2 View Drive
Walnutport, PA 18088

This post was edited by heavenlyfarm on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 17:12

Comments (148)

• molanic
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just got seeds from 2013 for passiflora incarnata in a swap. I think I tried to wintersow them once or twice without any luck. I read they are hardy to 5b, so should be good for wintersowing here. But, since I had no previous luck I looked into it more. The germination tips are all over the place. Scarify, don't scarify, cold stratify for all different lengths of time, really warm bottom heat, soak in acid, vinegar, milk, many say orange juice. I have read that it is best to sow only fresh seed for best results... but I also read that even fresh seed has a low germination rate. Others say it always germinates easily with nothing special. People must be confusing different species to have the advice be so all over the board. This year I am trying a two day soak in lemon juice (didn't have orange juice), then wintersowing it and leaving the container out for up to 2 years. I figure that since the seeds are older and dry I will try an aggressive approach.

• uptreasa
    9 years ago

I don't see my name on the participants list.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Michael I mailed my package today the conformation # is
    91149011598150104894 06

• mcc371
    9 years ago

Michael I was going to mail mine out today it is all sealed and ready to go. But I am working late and couldn't get away to go mail it so tomorrow I am off. Will post tracking number tomorrow.

Have a beautiful day!
    Tammy
    mcc371

• kchd
    9 years ago

I'm dropping my seeds off at the PO today. Should be there soon!
    I've been enjoying everyone's pictures immensely!! More, please. Lol
    Katie

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

more pics would be great! :)

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

uptreasa, I am sorry. I made the amendment!!! :)

TONS of packages came in yesterday :)

~~midwestfarmwife
    ~~ibartoo
    ~~Ruby_Dog
    ~~Naturegirl
    ~~Wilsha
    ~~Diknownana (Di)
    ~~ Susan B. (? skyblue52???? Sorry, I couldn't find a username anywhere lol)

Today is some serious organization and seed sorting going on already for this swap!!! I am getting it all set up so it will be easy! (For anyone interested, I am using my fishtank as a baggie holder for each participant lol that way I can just throw them in and mark as I go!)

As far as snow, we were told a foot or more....well today it seems like we got more like 4-6 inches!! LOL oh weather channels.....anywhos here is a pic of all the packages that came as I was trying to do some of my own winter sowing! lol and I will be updating this swap as I get moving along with it today!!

~Michael
    heavenlyfarm

• ibartoo
    9 years ago

Michael, I am happy my seeds made it. I am looking forward to spring and making big plans, I need to collect more jugs and bottles.

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

Oh no, I dont see my package there in that pile :(

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ibartoo, how is your winter sowing going?

cghpnd, do you have a tracking number? I have not yet checked the mail today so perhaps today!!!

There are so many good seeds so far!!! I am making a few matches here and there but I am trying to wait to do a majority of it till everyone's package arrive!

~Michael

P.S. Anyone care to share more pics? or pics of the snow if you also had some? Here is one of mine from this snow storm with my containers underneath :)

• molanic
    9 years ago

I don't have any good snow pics yet this season since we haven't had much at all. But, I did wake up a couple of weeks ago to the prettiest fluffy frost that perfectly covered everything.

{{gwi:2131787}}
    {{gwi:2131788}}
    {{gwi:2131789}}

• molanic
    9 years ago

Seeing all those mailers reminded me of something. It is a little late for this swap. But, I'm sure that all of you will be doing more swaps in the future. :)

I have been using my PayPal account to ship things for a long time. If you use it for first class parcel rate you get their cheaper commercial base rate that also includes delivery confirmation free. I don't think USPS even lets you do first class postage through their own website, so they only quote retail rates. My 8oz bubble env was $2.59 with PayPal and it would have been $3.22 at the PO with another $1 for dc. Not a ton of money, but it adds up if you do a lot of mailing. Plus no standing in line, you just drop it in the bin. Some carriers may take it for you, but I think they are only required to pick up Priority Mail that has a scheduled pick-up.

Of course you need a postal or food scale that does .1oz or rounds up to the nearest oz, they are pretty cheap though. You also would need a printer of course and either labels or some clear packing tape.

I don't know if I would bother opening a PayPal account, just for that. But, if you already have one, the shipping option is a huge saver. There is more info available on it with a Google search. Lots of blogs an such about this "hidden" feature. I don't know if there is a link anywhere on PayPal directly to ship the non-E-bay items, but once you find the address to access it just bookmark it for future use.

• mcc371
    9 years ago

Mine is in the mail to ya Michael.

Here is the tracking number

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

molanic, great tip! my sister does that with stuff she sells online and she is urging me to do the same with my group swaps or games I sell as its cheaper!

Tammy, I will be on the lookout for your package! :)

I know this swap is a little late and I plan on doing it early next year!! Hopefully with returns around the winter solstice (dec. 21st) if all goes well this time around!!

I should have packages back tho in the beginning of Feb....almost as soon as everyones package arrives! Which gives me more stress but I will be spending one of my days off doing all the sorting so I can have them back ASAP! Winter sowing perennials is best done in Dec 21st- February so you should have time do more winter sowing :)

~Michael

• dawn1972
    9 years ago

My package is the mail heading your way. Let me know when it arrives please.

• Diknownana
    9 years ago

Great tip molanic. I don't mail a whole lot but I do a lot of online shopping and have been thinking of getting a paypal account. Now I have one more reason to bite the bullet ;). And maybe next year I'll get my tail in gear earlier and get in on more RR. This year was just too hectic before the holidays.

• kchd
    9 years ago

Morgan, thanks for that great tip!! I already have a paypal account. I don't really want to pay more than 1st class postage for light packages, but I do want a DC number. I could get that if I wanted to stand in line for 20 minutes at the local PO. ppppfffftttt!

FYI, y'all: I sent in all packs of seeds that are outstanding nectar plants. I sent in several packs of 2 different species of Liatris / blazingstar. They are one of my favorite nectar plants for butterflies. No 'buttie' can resist Liatris.

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Molanic, your package arrived today :)

thanks
    ~michael
    heavenlyfarm

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Katie -- Great picture!

• herbal
    9 years ago

I sent my package today priority mail. Please let me know when it arrives.

• uptreasa
    9 years ago

Package is going out in the mail today.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Glad to see my package arrived.

molanic, thanks for the heads up on PayPal. I may check into that before my next round of gifts to far flung children happens...guess that gives me til next Nov/Dec to figure it out :) I looked at your winter photos for awhile before figuring out that the first one is a sculpture, not a real plant! Nice pictures of the frosted garden.

All the summer-like flower photos from kchd and others make me want to grow more flowers this year. That is remarkable to say since I'm mostly a veggie grower. We will be coming and going from our home a lot this summer, so plants I do not need to harvest from every day or two will be great additions.

Hope everyone is safe and warm after the recent wintry blasts

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KatJaqu, your package arrived safe and sound!! :)

Okay, first I just would like to take the time to mention the give-away that I will be doing!! I will be including everyone's name in a bowl or something and pick a name out! The name-WINNER picked will receive a 10 dollar gift certificate in the mail for SAMPLE SEED SHOP'S WEBSITE!!! :)

I chose her website because I would like to support family/individuals in the gardening hobby and I was very pleased the last time I made a purchase! :) If there is any reason you would not like to be included in this drawing, let me know or post here! I will be doing this sometime during the end of the swap and once I receive everyones packages :)

Secondly, I like Sheri have received alot of "generic" seeds or seeds that don't have the greatest label, mainly a lot of hollyhock seeds! I was really hoping to get varieties I don't have or unique ones...I did decide to winter sow some to use in the garden and some to give to friends who expressed interest but I have way too many!! I am going to list the different packs here and if you are interested in any, let me know and I will be happy to include some as extras in your package!! :)

~OH, I have a pack of Rose Campion seeds with no date. I can probably make 2-3 packs if anyones interested in those either!
    ~Hollyhocks singles mix (no date)
    ~Kaley's Pink Hollyhocks (no date)
    ~Single pink hollyhocks (no date)
    ~Hollyhocks mix (no date)
    ~Single Purple Hollyhocks 2014
    ~Single White Hollyhocks 2014
    ~Pink Mix Hollyhock 2014
    ~pink hollyhocks (no date)

I got a lot of pink....LOL anywhos, I need to clear some of my seed stash anyways and I'd rather keep the ones that are dear to my heart or varieties I have been searching for!

~michael
    heavenlyfarm

• uptreasa
    9 years ago

I'd be interested in the Rose Campion and the purple Hollyhocks, 2014, Michael. Thank you!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Michael -- I'd love to get some of your Single Purple Hollyhocks 2014. Thanks!

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

hello I am skyblue5w aka Susan bentz. Sorry about that info. I was busy making list and including npost/funds. I am glad to see you are getting this together. What fun. Susan aka skyblue52

• ibartoo
    9 years ago

Michael, I love hollyhocks. Any you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Linda

• Diknownana
    9 years ago

Hi Michael,

I'd be happy to have some hollyhocks and you can put it toward my seed packets if you would like. I'm not picky about the color, just whatever you think I would like :).

Thanks!

Di

• dawn1972
    9 years ago

Michael- I would like some of the Kaley's Pink Hollyhocks, please.

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, I did see everyones requests about the hollyhock seeds and campion and will do my best!!

Susan, thank you! I just wanted to make sure I knew who it was from! Lol

3 MORE PACKAGES TODAY from Herbal, Hibiscusfan, Tammy (mcc371)

Tammy, you are wonderful!! You even sorted your seeds for me for each participant!! You have saved me so much more time! LOL

I have been so worried about this swap and making it good lol I can't wait to get them back to you!! (I didn't realize how much of a busy bee I would be this month! lol) I am waiting on a few more packages and then I will begin really sorting through! I have my next two days off coming up on the 4th and 5th so I am hoping to finish them on those dates at the latest!

~michael
    heavenlyfarm

• dem_pa
    9 years ago

Did someone say pink hollyhocks? Mine from last year.
    {{gwi:2131790}}

Rose of Sharon.
    {{gwi:2131791}}

Lady Baltimore hardy hibiscus.
    {{gwi:2131792}}

Blackberry lily.
    {{gwi:2131793}}

Rhurbarb blooming. I started seven plants from winter sowing.
    {{gwi:2131794}}

Granny's bonnet columbines.
    {{gwi:2131795}}

Black swallowtail "cats" like rue.
    {{gwi:2131796}}

Agerantum.
    {{gwi:2131797}}

False Sunflower.
    {{gwi:2131798}}

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Dem_pa, your killing me!

I am loving the pics and see more and more things that I would love to grow!

I have too many seeds to grow already so I sent seeds in and asked to not have any returned but you are making it VERY hard! I'm fighting the urge to send in another package for trading.

Lisa

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

All the pictures are so pretty! dem_pa, a stroll through your yard must be a real treat for those who appreciate beautiful landscaping. I can see by the mulch around your trees in the background that you are a great gardener.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

dem_pa -- What beautiful flowers! I've been loving all the pictures you've posted. Those columbines are particularly striking!

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PACKAGES ARRIVED YESTERDAY FROM:

cghpnd

Kchd

Micki777

Also, I am off to work but will be making a new thread for this swap later!! :)
    ~Michael
    heavenlfarm

• kchd
    9 years ago

Yay! I was hoping my package would make it no later than Saturday. Michael, if you end up needing more stamps for return postage, I'll send you more. I sent more postage than it took to mail my package to you, but you never know...

Here's a photo of some Jewelweed seeds I winter sowed last year in a 2-liter sprite bottle.

• Ruby_Dog
    9 years ago

Love all the photos!

Michael, saw your other post and I have candytuft seed--will send you an email.

Betsy

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

If you need more postage for mine let me know.

• micki
    9 years ago

Dear Michael and all I will post more later.
    I've been posting in the wrong place.
    I mailed my seeds out the 28th so you should have definitely received them by now.
    I have beautiful Echinacea's that I added for the swap and am looking to increase my collection.

I will post more later. Here are a couple pics.
    1st Dwarf Double Hollyhocks also have them in yellow.

• micki
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble posting more than one pic can some one teach me how, here's the double dwarf hollyhock

• micki
    9 years ago

I especially like Echinaceas
    also Dwarf varieties or anything under 24"
    and peach colors
    like perennials first but many annuals too like
    impatients
    zinnia
    cosmos
    and new guinea impatients
    Here's another beautiful Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry I have several to swap

• micki
    9 years ago

Michael I would love the rose companion seeds and have a lot of what you want
    Hollyhock
    dwarf doubles yel and pink'and black hollyhock (outstanding!!)
    and cleomes
    I especially want short perennials 24" and less
    and Echinacea variety's like the could stacked ones if ANYONE has those I'd trade anything!!
    Oops pic not focused darnit
    I am also crazy about Delpininiums.

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PACKAGE ARRIVED FROM :

~Dawn1972 (my mom isn't actually sure if it came today or if my dad had misplaced it in his car! UGH)

~michael
    heavenlyfarm

P.S. I am tired and have work again at 4am lol so new thread will be up tomorrow and just waiting on two more packages to come and all shall be golden!!! :)

• micki
    9 years ago

Take Care Michael

• ibartoo
    9 years ago

Dem-Pa, I love your pics.
    I can't wait to see flowers again.
    Some of my camellias are blooming, so it isn't like I don't have color in the yard, I am just too ready for spring. I know it will arrive here sooner than a lot of other places, I am just not a winter person. After about a month I am ready for spring again.

I started about 40 different varieties in ziplock baggies yesterday. Now the waiting begins. I have checked the two wintersow jugs I have already started, but there is no sign of life yet.

I have been collecting jugs and bottles of all shapes and sizes.

I have a question though, when you cut windows in the jugs, do you let them sit open all winter?
    I haven't ever done that and wonder with my temperatures fluxuating ( sp) as much as they do if the windows would help.

It will be 52 here tonight, but 30 tomorrow night....

• micki
    9 years ago

Hi ibartoo from zone 8, would love to be you. I would wait until they germinated and grew an inch. I would also wait for night time temps to be a little more above freezing. However, wintersown plants are much much hardier. Sounds like in less than a month you'll have sprouts.

Micki

• micki
    9 years ago

We had a winter storm today and I took a picture of my jugs early during the storm, here's a pic.

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Hello love all the pictures on this sunny but COLD day. We missed the snow fall in Ohio. Planted WS pansies this week. Oh I am envious of you in S. Carolina. Take Care Michael Susan

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, The new thread is up so come post on the new one :) and read for updates on the swap! :)
    ~Michael
    heavenlyfarm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg0219363628814.html

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sunnysouth (Ron), I sent you an email about your package :)
    ~michael