Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: Incredible Edibles - Winter Sowing - Part 2

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

Continue to post if you are sending or receiving from this swap...or just update us on what you have planted or if something has sprouted. That is an exciting time! It's great to have so many trying to winter sow.

Jeanne

Comments (19)

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

I hate to say that I haven't WS'ed anything yet!! I have plans though. I got the potting mix Sunday and hope to get things going this weekend.

Andrea

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I have done onions, lots and lots of onions and I have sprouts too! Woohoo

:) Fran

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Ooh, ws'ing onions. Maybe that would work for me... I didn't have any luck with my onions last year. They just kept disappearing from the garden. I gotta get started WS'ing, like yesterday... lol

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I"m glad I"m not the only one who hasn't started yet!

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Talk to me fran about onions. I've never grew any from seeds. Since you said you have sprouts, I'm guessing you didnt winter sow these, but rather started them indoors? If that is the case, when do I start mine indoors? I live in zone 5.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Add me to the list who hasn't started yet! I actually prepped about a dozen containers last week, then realized I was out of the colored electrical tape I usually use to label them. I bought the tape yesterday, along with several more packets of seeds, and some potting mix at Lowe's. The plan was to start today, but I forgot that I'm in charge of snack at my son's preschool tomorrow, so I've been making muffins this morning. Okay, new plan ... I'll do some WSing while he's at preschool tomorrow. That gives me about 2 hours. How many do you think I can get done in that amount of time, LOL?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Nope yotetrapper, they're outside in a container...and sprouting just fine. Looks good I planted them on Dec 29 and started getting sprouts on Jan 8th.

I have really good intentions to get some more things started I just haven't gotten it done yet. I have got to get on the ball I have loads that need to be planted.

:)Fran

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congratulations on the sprouts, Fran! When I was shopping early this afternoon, I saw that they had seeds for sale and 40% off so that saves me from ordering a few online that I wanted to get. I don't have anything sprouted yet. I doubt that I will sow anything more until sometime next week. I thought we were going to be able to skip getting temperatures below 20 degrees, but they are now saying 15 degrees for Friday night. Oh, well, we can always think in positive terms - these really cold temperatures will mean fewer bugs this spring and summer!
    Jeanne

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

OMG! OMG! OMG! IT WORKS! I will have to check which date I sowed them but they have all sprouted and they look so good. Really strong. I had no clue what I was doing. I think I used too much potting mix and may have cut the container all wrong. Well, I am learning. I will be sowing more tomorrow. Oh, Bok Choy, Spinach, Radish and Kaiilan were in the first batch. I think tomatoes will be next. I have been sowing indoors also so I will be able to have a A/B test. Now I need to go around the neighborhood and pester neighbors into giving me plastic containers.

Nancy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy, I am so happy for you!!! I just went out to check on my containers and nothing has sprouted yet. We had some very cold temperatures over the weekend so I suspect that has delayed things. I plan to plant 5 or 6 more containers today.
    I will update the list on who has received soon. I know there is no mail delivery today so I thought I would wait until mid-week and see if everyone has received by then.
    Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I just plant 29 different things Manday, it took me all day to fill the containers, make tags and then to plant I didn't get to stick anything outside yet cuz it was midnight when I finsihed so will have to do that later on today.
    Thanks ya'll I have wanted to grow onions for years and always messed up somewhere well I hope this time all is good.
    I have some we set out a sets and then the seeds, I want to see which does better for me. The sets or the seeds.
    I planted elephant garlic in Nov with the sets of onions so I am excited to see what that does!

Later everyone,

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

MAN, I am sleepy...that would be MONDAY ya'll MONDAY, NOT manday...good grief they already think they rule the world let's NOT give them their own DAY!

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

man you warm weather gardners suck LOL. Mine are WSd and currently sitting under a snow bank at 8 degrees. They better NOT sprout for a good long time LOL. I'm thinking of planting some onions here in a week or so indoors... dont want to plant them too early tho, guess I should wait until Feb. 1st.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trying to update on where we are with this swap.
    As far as I know ncgardengirl (Fran) never heard from lysa39 so they could not exchange seeds.
    If spookycharles and chitownladyd posted that they received, I missed seeing it. You may want to post here to clarify that.
    southerncharm1 and plant_one_on_me have received.
    yotetrapper has received. (ejmoore510?)
    andreaz6wv and lindaruzicka have received.

All the other swap partners have already been listed as having sent and received earlier in the month.
    If any of the rest are still waiting and haven't heard from your partner please let the coordinators know.

Thanks!
    Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

yeap Lysa was a no show.

:) Fran

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Hi,

I WINTERSOWED!!! It was a nice day, in the 50's here. It didn't last long, it's cold again. Not complaining, well, maybe a little...

I got a dozen containers done. All hollyhocks that I rec'd from everyone from the swaps.

Later,
    Andrea

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have my first sprouts today! Not from this swap but they are Danish Flag poppies from a GardenWeb trade. They were planted on Jan. 8th. This is actually the very first winter sowing container that I sowed in 2009.
    Good luck with your winter sowing, everyone!
    Jeanne

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm so late posting! I received some wonderful seeds from Yotetrapper!
    Italian Bush Beans
    Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans
    Birdhouse Gourds
    Winter Squash - Bellata Acorn
    Canoe Creek Canteloupe
    Moon & Stars Watermelon
    Also, a wonderful poem!

They were all wonderful! Thanks so much!

Joan

• booberry85
    15 years ago

OT: Bruce Springsteen has a muffin top going!

I sowed some seeds today! Started some flowers (hollyhocks, impatiens, rudbeckia, cone flowers, and torenia.) I also started some habaneros. Poor little cold seedlings to be!