Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

new: obf: lylas- love ya like a sis- feb swap

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

Our Bloomin' Friends is a year round trade group. If you are interested in joining, please email Veeja(Carol) or Brittneysgran(Shirley.) Though the email link on Carol's page is incorrect at the moment.color>

This month we will celebrate our SISTERS! Traditionally, February is a month to show love & affection (usually to our Significant Others, lol) so what better time to let our friends know how much we appreciate & care for them?

The special & different thing about this swap will be that we will concentrate on EACH OTHER. This is simply for the spoiling of our sisters & to have FUN.

Period! :O)

There will be only a few guidelines for this swap:

1) Signups will go from now until February 6th. I will assign partners then.

2) Each package must contain 3 things:

~A Valentine or card (can be bought or homemade)

~A sweet treat or candy (send her favorite!)

~A special "I appreciate your friendship" gift. (This can be ANYTHING that you know your partner will enjoy, like a gardening item, seeds, plant, book, lotion, windchime, candle...ANYTHING! Be creative & have fun with this!)

3) Packages must be mailed out no later than Feb. 20th.

Okay, is everyone ready? Let's show our sisters how much we appreciate their friendship!

Comments (66)

• wynative
    15 years ago

Count me in : )

Melissa - sorry to hear about the nasty way this storm is treating you & your neighbors! We got a little over a foot of snow Monday & Tuesday - then the wind started blowing Tuesday night. The drifts are over 15 feet tall and today is the first day we have been able to get out of the yard since Monday. Our temps were way below 0 but no where near the destruction like you have.

Here is one of the tree's in my yard on Tuesday morning before the storm got its 2nd wind - some of the cold weather can be pretty.
    {{gwi:1238286}}

This one is of a friend yesterday (he's over 6' tall)- his boss tell's them they are to go out and work everyday. Weather doesn't matter to him as he get's to stay in his office GRRRRR
    {{gwi:1238287}}
    They only have 2 wheel drive pickups and didn't get home until after midnight as they had to dig themselves out every time they would get back to the pickup, due to the wind blowing.

Now I better get to town to stock up on goodies for the Super Bowl!! We are to have more snow tonight through Saturday and I am sure the wind will blow :( We are going to a friends even if I have to get out my cross country ski's!

Best of luck to all in the path of our winter storms and
    GO CARDINALS!!! I have to cheer for them as they haven't ever won :)
    Marie

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

dang marie - that sure is some snow. my son was just mentioning that we should move to wyoming. i'll have to show him your pix.

UPDATE
    Alwaysagarden
    Amybabyboy
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran *SWAPPING*
    Debbya
    Dieg01991*SWAPPING*
    Dirtundermynails
    Drgulley
    Earthly Delight*SWAPPING*
    Fcoffill *SWAPPING*
    Hazelnutbunny *SWAPPING*
    Ilovefarac
    lil green thumb
    LLbean -- come out, come out where ever you are!!!!xoxox
    Luckyladyd
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007
    Mellen *SWAPPING*
    Missg
    Momcat
    Remy*SWAPPING*
    Sandlapper Rose*SWAPPING*
    Squanzon
    Theresa24 *SWAPPING*
    Veeja11*SWAPPING*
    Wynative*SWAPPING*

i too will root for the cardinals. not because i'm anti-pitts, but because they've won enough already! LOL it would have been grand had the eagles made it and it would have been an in-state vie for the title. oh well...

keep warm
    maryanne

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Yes, thank you Maryanne. And prayers going out to Melissa and everyone hit by the storm. We lost power for two weeks due to a hurricane and it was awful to be with A/C in September here but not as bad as it must be to be without heat and have all those little ones to take care of, including a newborn! Our thoughts are with you, Melissa.

Theresa

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Hey Ladies,
    I'll be sitting this one out. I just don't have the extra $ for shipping and the cute gift small gift I'd like to buy and send. I'm looking for work.

Maryanne,
    that was really nice of you to step in for Melissa. My prayers go out to her and her family.

Cindy : )

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Melissa
    I hope the weather improves and you get your power back on soon! Wishing you warm weather and good health to you and yours

Frances

• wynative
    15 years ago

Maryanne - we would love to have you! Wyoming is a great place to live - where I am at (SE corner) we get about 9 months of summer! and still have the benifit of al 4 seasons. We are the 'banana belt' of the state - if banana's can grow in wind LOL I plant my veggie garden Mom's day weekend (Saturday) and then get to go fishing on Sunday :) I ususally have flowers still in bloom till just before Thanksgiving.

Have a great weekend,
    Marie

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

ttt

• missg
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I will sit out on this one

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Marie,
    Nice pics! It make here not look so snowy if that is possible, lol.
    I also have to root for the Cardinals. They've never won a Super Bowl, Sue lives down in Phoenix, Kurt Warner used to stock grocery shelves, and he was born in Iowa where Mellen and Margaret live. So it just seems like the team to root for.
    Remy

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Yay Remy! Go Cardinals!

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

HAPPY FEBRUARY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE
    Alwaysagarden
    Amybabyboy
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran *SWAPPING*
    Debbya
    Dieg01991*SWAPPING*
    Dirtundermynails
    Drgulley
    Fcoffill *SWAPPING*
    Hazelnutbunny *SWAPPING*
    Ilovefarac
    lil green thumb
    Luckyladyd
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007
    Mellen *SWAPPING*
    Missg - PASSING -
    Momcat
    Remy*SWAPPING*
    Squanzon
    Theresa24 *SWAPPING*
    Veeja11*SWAPPING*
    Wynative*SWAPPING*

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

Hell-o ladies,
    This sounds like a fun swap. I would like to join. Thanks, Bev aka diggindirt49

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

WOW!! Look at all that snow. We would love to have just one snow like that. We have had absolutely no snow or moisture this winter. I remember in years past we would have 100" to 150" inches of snowfall a year. Not anymore. I wish mother nature would be fair, send some of it our way and give everybody up north a break.

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

I'm going to sit this one out. Hope you all have fun.

Melissa, Hope things are going well for you. Take care, Amy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Hi All!
    I'm still here in GA. The house didn't go to auction last month & doubtful that it will this month.So we are still in our house,but have a 6 month lease on the tiny one I mentioned last month. Hubby is now having lots of pain from the athritis(sp?)in his hips. It's more than moderate,but less than severe(for now!)Dr told him before it's all over he'll need a hip replacement.He is only 32! When it rains it pours....would be grateful for ANY good karma,prayers,& kind thoughts sent my way.

Bunny ~ you & your family are in my thoughts as you all dig out from that awful snow & ice storm.

Maryanne~With all that I have going on I be passing this month.

later all...April/dirt_under_my_nails

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Maryanne,
    I didn't have Bev/Diggindirt on the list when you copied it from last month, so please add her : )

April,
    I'm so sorry things aren't going very well right now. Everything will get better though. Things always do. I know you have a good sense of humor. I've found it to be Gary's and my best weapon when things have been ridiculously crummy. I also play the it could be worse game. It makes me not be so pessimistic. Like when my car blew up on the side of the thruway with no where to go and no cell phone. I said it could be worse, it could be snowing. It could be even worse than that, it could be snowing and it could be dark out. It could be worse than that it could could be snowing, dark out and I could be in a really bad neighborhood, etc. It sounds sort of goofy, but it works!
    Good thoughts and prayers are being sent your way,
    Remy

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Alwaysagarden
    Amybabyboy - PASSING -
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran *SWAPPING*
    Debbya
    DIGGINDIRT49*SWAPPING*
    Dieg01991*SWAPPING*
    Dirtundermynails - PASSING -
    Drgulley
    Fcoffill *SWAPPING*
    Hazelnutbunny *SWAPPING*
    Ilovefarac
    lil green thumb
    Luckyladyd
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007
    Mellen *SWAPPING*
    Missg - PASSING -
    Momcat
    Remy*SWAPPING*
    Squanzon
    Theresa24 *SWAPPING*
    Veeja11*SWAPPING*
    Wynative*SWAPPING*

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Remy-I like your It Could Be Worse Game...I will have to remember it.

April-It seems age doesn't have alot to do with health problems and the such anymore. You hear of young people having lots of problems that years ago developed in the elderly. I think when I turned 50 my body thought it was 90. LOL

Melissa-Sure would like to see a post from you. Hope you and your family are ok.

I'm not into football but DH is yelling for the cardinals.

Shirley

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Maryanne,
    I'll be sitting this one out.

Cindy : )

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Sue,
    I'm sorry the Cardinals lost : ( It was such a great comeback. I felt like I was watching the Bills.
    Remy

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Ladies-I am wanting to join this RR, too. What a wonderful addiction this is.

April-Please know we care & I will pray for you & yours.

I am sorry the Cardinals lost, too but they played a great game except for the many penalties they had.

I am keeping Melissa & family in my prayers, also. Has anyone heard from her? So many families affected with that storm. This has been quite a winter for every area of the country, I think. It has sure been colder with more ice & snow than for some years back. One thing, the days are getting longer & that's a good thing. I can't imagine out cleaning the yard or any Spring plants coming up. Perhaps in another month or 6 weeks.

Blessings, Margaret

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Margaret,
    In my area Northern Calif. it has been unusually warm, in the high 60's this past month. I enjoy the cooler temps of the 30's around this time and afraid what I've winter sown may come up way too early.
    I guess weather in many parts of the U.S. is pretty out of wack.

Cindy

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

6 more weeks of winter.........blaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    our weather earlier today was gorgeous. took my g-babe on a nice stroller walk and then spent a little time in the yard pulling some weeds since the ground softened up a bit in the last couple of days. how quick it all changes though - we are having some snow as i type and the weather is going downhill.

remy, i can't find that stinking Q - but i believe i might still have the original one. were their any additional questions added? i'll get it done and sent asap. i also play a similar game like yours. amazing how well it works. my version started out with reader's digest years ago...drama in real life... put so much into perspective for me - although i had cares and concerns - it was nothing like the people endured in those stories.

bev, i guess one way of looking at those large snowfalls, is that you didn't get the 100" in one storm. could you imagine that?

april, are you stuck with that lease or can you get out of it? sorry to hear the problems are ongoing. i hope and pray our economy picks up. way too many people already affected and there doesn't seem to be an end to it.

wow cindy, that's some nice weather you are having. i'm looking forward to those temps.

i was hoping the cards would win, but watching the game i couldn't help but root for the steelers. what an exciting game!!!!

here's an update. hope to hear from the remaining members soon.

Alwaysagarden - PASSING -
    Amybabyboy - PASSING -
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran *SWAPPING*
    Debbya
    DIGGINDIRT49*SWAPPING*
    Dieg01991*SWAPPING*
    Drgulley
    Fcoffill *SWAPPING*
    Hazelnutbunny *SWAPPING*
    Ilovefarac
    lil green thumb
    Luckyladyd
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007 *SWAPPING*
    Mellen *SWAPPING*
    Missg - PASSING -
    Momcat
    Remy*SWAPPING*
    Squanzon
    Theresa24 *SWAPPING*
    Veeja11*SWAPPING*
    Wynative*SWAPPING*

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

No, I can't imagine getting that much snow at one time.. We just want a "lil bit". Hopefully we will have a wet spring. I have babies coming up every where. The temp here was 65 today. Bev

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

I couldn't decide whether to do this one or not! Money is a little tight right now and then I decided I could splurge enough for a little bit! I can't help myself!
    I too would love to hear from Melissa! Alot of people here still have no internet, cable, or electric! She may have electric and no internet!
    I hope everyone that is having problems right now feels some ease from them in the next few days! Wishing the best to all! Melinda

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,

Please count me in for the swap.

Melissa and April, I hope things will be better for you soon.

Maryanne, thanks for stepping in for the swap this month.

Dianne

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

hi ladies, we are having a beautiful snow...looks like a picture postcard. hope it doesn't get nasty through the night, i just want to build a snowman with my g-babe come tomorrow.

i have a question for everyone - if melissa isn't back on line by her cut-off date, do i withdraw her name from the swap or just mail or call her saying who her partner is? feedback please....thanks!

UPDATE
    Amybabyboy - PASSING - color>
    Beth_b_Kodiak color>
    Brittneysgran *SWAPPING*
    Debbya color>
    DIGGINDIRT49*SWAPPING*
    Dieg01991*SWAPPING*color>
    Dirtundermynails - PASSING - color>
    Drgulley *SWAPPING*
    Fcoffill *SWAPPING*
    Hazelnutbunny *SWAPPING*
    Ilovefarac *SWAPPING*color>
    lil green thumb
    Luckyladyd
    Lunamoon color>
    Margaret 2007 *SWAPPING*
    Mellen *SWAPPING*
    Missg - PASSING - color>
    Momcat color>
    Remy*SWAPPING*
    Sandlapper Rose*SWAPPING* color>
    Squanzon color>
    Theresa24 *SWAPPING*
    Veeja11*SWAPPING*
    Wynative*SWAPPING*

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

I would say Melissa has enough to deal with even if her power comes back on soon....I would feel very overwhelmed if I were her. What an ordeal. If I am wrong, I'm sure she will understand....better to wait a month than to have one more thing to deal with in that situation. That is my humble opinion :)

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Hazelnutbunny Update!

Posted by jaleeisa 6b Oklahoma (My Page) on Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 12:14

I just got off the phone with Melissa. They are still without electricity and she said the electric company says it's still going to be at least another 1-2 weeks. They have lots of large trees/ branches down in the yard and it's not really safe for the kids to even play outside. Her DH is working and then coming home and trying to clean up and clear and they've still not seen or heard from FEMA yet. They did finally, just a few days ago, found a car charger for her cell phone :) but she can only charge it when her husband is home. They do have the wood burning stove, but it's difficult to cook on.
    She says the stores are sold out of all emergency supplies, so I got a list of things she could think of off the top of her head ( and I added a few from what I can remember needing after the Christmas Day Ice Storm) to see if we could help her out. If you mail something to her, please do it with delivery confirmation and track it and when it should be there for her, email me and I'll call her to let her know they need to have her husband stop by the PO on his way home. And if anyone can think of anything else to include that would make them more comfortable, add it in :)

They could use the following if someone has it to spare:

Candles They don't have oil lamps, so we might concentrate on the candles.
    AA batteries for flashlights
    extra flashlights- they only have 2
    coloring books/books/colors to help occupy the children :)
    handheld battery powered games (I'm sure used would work!)
    board games (I'm sure used would work!)
    battery powered radio- they don't have one, not even in their car (I'm sure used would work!)
    easy to heat canned food/canned meat/canned fruit/powdered milk
    sterno for cooking/heating/light
    mittens for the new baby
    Instant coffee
    Tea bags

I'm going to get Cliff to take me to the store to see what I can pick up to send to her.

Melissa asked that we keep them in our prayers :)

Kathy

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Wow. I was without power for a week once and was about in tears. It is so difficult to not be able to cook, wash dishes or clothes, etc. Not to mention the cold at this time of year and the kids are probably going stir crazy. I will see what I can get together to send.

Theresa

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Here's a thought...What if, instead of sending to each other, we all send a little something to Melissa?

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I'm going to send a box to Melissa either way. So whatever everyone decided is fine with me : )
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Theresa-That is a wonderful idea. In fact that is what we are doing in the Traveling Daylily group. There are so many in our groups right now that needs the extra little I CARE ABOUT YOU card and package.

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

theresa, as i was just catching up on the thread about melissa, i was having that same thought - instead of each other this month, focus on her/her family. i'm so glad you brought that up.

I for one would much rather focus my attention to melissa. valentine's day is just around the corner, what better way to show love!

should we start a new thread, or keep this one going to see if everyone comes back and posts their thoughts. OR REMY....since you have all the email addresses, could you mass mail everyone or email me all the email addresses and i'll do it?

thanks
    maryanne

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I'll watch to see what we decide. I am fine with any decision that is made.
    Jeanne

• wynative
    15 years ago

Count me in for sending to Melissa.

It is so close to Valentines - this would be a great way to show her some LOVE!

Marie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

If I started this but some are disappointed because maybe they already bought stuff to swap with, we could still do the swap but to whoever gets me, I would say please send that to Melissa instead. Does that make sense? I don't want to upset anyone I just think that rather than receiving extras right now, I would rather her get what she needs. I would feel kind of bad by continuing the swap she started when she is going through such a tough time and needs support. Either way, I am fine though. It was just an idea I threw out there. How many kids does she have? Six I think?

Theresa

• veeja11
    15 years ago

How about we give partners and they can discuss what they want to do, I would like my pal to send to Melissa, I can just see her kids being bombarded with boxes a little brightness in their dark time. I would love to be a part of this, we do love her like a sis, she is my lil sis. hugs carol

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

theresa, if you or anyone else RATHER send to melissa, do you want to pull yourself out of the mix for swapping this month? some may want to send a box to her as well as swap, others may want to just swap and others may want to focus on melissa. what to do, what to do!!!!

besides melissa, is there anyone else in our group in need? do we know?

i don't think anyone has voiced any disappointment - at least not on the thread - and i sure hope those behind the scenes emails aren't happening. in any event, i guess we need to know what everyone wants to do this month

i was looking over the thread that was started on her behalf. i'm not sure how or what she is cooking although it's been noted she has a woodstove. personally, i have whipped up a 6 course gourmet meal while camping (don't laugh, it can be done). as for refrigeration, i guess she's using the outside.

do we know if the baby uses formula or is she breast fed? cloth or disposable diapers? what is even available at the markets?

melinda, you are in that neck of the woods, can you shed some light on the subject?

i would need everyone to let me know about their decision.

remy, if you have everyone's email and can mass mail a quick question as to intention for this month, or send me everyone's address, i'll do it.

looks like we won't close this off tomorrow until we hear from everyone.

maryanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Maryanne,
    I'm going to send you an email with everyone's addresses : )
    Remy

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Hello! I talked to Melissa yesterday and my son is going to go over there and take a few things. She is fine on baby food, so I am sure she breast feeds. Alot of people are sending alot of things now!
    My son says there are still many people over there without power as there are some here still! Says they have police at most of the electric company offices to help keep down trouble as people are getting pretty upset with no electric yet!
    I am fine with whatever anyone chooses to do! My son is taking things for me, not sure what yet. I gave him a list of things to get and we'll see what goes. Looks as alot of people are rallying around and sending alot of things that will be good! I can still do the swap or consider sending things to Melissa as done with it. Either way! Melinda

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Ladies-Have been reading posts with different ideas & thought I would share my opinion (which, by the way, opinions are just like noses, everyone has one!Ha). I really think this swap was something that Hazelnutbunny was really looking forward to & wanted us all to share with each other. She has made it so simple & not expensive which I think is great. I am not sure that she would want us to cancel due to the problems she is having. I sent a box to her today & included things for Valentine's Day for the family. Just my opinion & I might be wrong but I think Melissa would be disappointed if we cancelled. I think it is great that Maryann has helped out in Melissa's place & has stated she would assign partners. The decision needs to be made if we are to get them sent in time for next Saturday as some of us are quite a distance from others. Thanks & Blessings, Margaret

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Good point. Okay....then my vote is to keep it simple so that we can afford to send to Melissa as well as something simple to our partner :)

Theresa

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

If we're still going to do a swap as outlined in the beginning of the post..........I'll join......

Sue G.

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

margaret, you are the voice of reason!

okay, we will continue with this swap. i'll close it over the weekend and i'll assign partners on sunday.

anyone wanting to drop out, please post by sunday morning at the latest.

UPDATE:
    Amybabyboy - PASSING -
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran *SWAPPING*
    Debbya
    DIGGINDIRT49*SWAPPING*
    Dieg01991*SWAPPING*
    Drgulley *SWAPPING*
    Fcoffill *SWAPPING*
    Hazelnutbunny *SWAPPING*
    Ilovefarac *SWAPPING*
    lil green thumb
    Luckyladyd
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007 *SWAPPING*
    Mellen *SWAPPING*
    Missg - PASSING -
    Momcat
    Remy*SWAPPING*
    Squanzon *SWAPPING*
    Theresa24 *SWAPPING*
    Veeja11*SWAPPING*
    Wynative*SWAPPING*

hope everyone has a pleasant weekend. be back sunday.
    maryanne

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

Hi, Please send me Melissa's address. I have picked up a few things to send her and her family. Thanks Bev

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

My prayers are going out to you and your family Melissa.

Could someone please send me Melissa's address as well.

Thank you so much,
    Cindy

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Maryanne-Sounds like a winner to me...sending to Melissa and a partner.

What a gorgeous day we had here today..it was in the 60's and more of this fabulous weather tomorrow. I have green shoots coming up everywhere in the yard. Crocus, daffodils and hyacinths are emerging.

Shirley

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Nothing much to post. Been work, boring, lol. So I just wanted to stop by and say hi : )

Shirley,
    The snow has been meting, but it will still be awhile before I see signs of spring. So I bought a pot full of crocus at work for 69 cents! There were only a couple pots left so they got marked down.
    Remy

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Hi Ladies,
    Wow, so much has been going on since I last checked in! First I didn't think to look for a brand new post for Feb. I just looked at the old thread for a while and didn't find too many people adding on lately. Then, I've had a couple of health issues that kept me away for the last two weeks. Now I finally figure out to look for a new post and all h*** has broken loose for Melissa. Amazing to be without power for over a week. My dishwasher died three days ago and I haven't been able to go look for a new one. I can't imagine how tough it would be to have no power at all, especially with a new baby.
    Sorry to be too late to join the Feb swap, but it's probably better for me to pass anyway. Do let me know what Melissa needs and an address. I can post off a few items to help. I'll catch up with you all in March on the swaps. Stay warm and be well, everyone.