Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap, Final Update

drippy
16 years ago

Hi, players - well, I'm maxed out, and there's good news and bad. Good news: your mailers are stuffed, and in the morning I will zip them, write out DC forms, and take them to the P.O. and they will be on their way home to you. That is, (bad news here) if the snow quits enough for me to do so. I lifted my head out of the seed pile finally and found that after what I thought were flurries all day, it seems we have about a foot (maybe?) of new snow on the ground. Yuck. Not going to shovel until tomorrow.

I'll do a little "superlatives" posting tomorrow - some observations along the way in this thing - when I've had some sleep.

Things I feel good about: a lot of you care a lot about each other, which shows in how you picked out things for others. Hey, be fruitful and multiply - the world needs more of you! Most of you should find some real gems in your packets - yesterday I was sure all of you would, so if some of you don't, please talk to me about it - I think we can make it better somehow. I know I gave this a Herculean effort, and I feel good about that - I'm old enough to know you can't win 'em all, but I sure as heck tried!

Things I don't feel so good about: I really haven't figured out an efficient system for this. The "don't want" lists turned out to be largely superfluous - it was easiest for me to leave what other people sent you alone, so if things were sent in on your "don't want" list, they stayed in your packet. I did use your lists, both want and don't want, when pulling from the undesignated seeds and the seeds I added for you. I'm reasonably sure that all of you have more than a couple of things you really, really want, and I'm dead certain you all have a few that you don't. :)

I didn't write any of the nice notes to include in your packets that I have received from other swap hosts/hostesses in the past, and I'm sorry for that. So many of you sent me very special stuff, and I should have included a note, but concert season is upon me (3 in the next 2 weeks), and I just ran out of time. Please know that I totally appreciate all of the effort and kindness you folks gave; it DID make my work easier in the long run.

I am terrible at seed distribution, too - once I have what I think is a sufficient number for a player, and my eyes are getting bleary trying to figure out whether they will like a seed I'm thinking of putting in their packet, or they like it so much they already sent it LOL, I quit. So, once again, I have 3 shoeboxes still full of swap seeds, many of them frankly too premium to be just shipped off to newbie projects without giving you a shot at them first. So, once again, I will - in a couple of weeks, please! - catalog the remainder, and email you - you can then email me with your choices and I will send them to you, and then bag up the remainder - probably for Wintersown.org, as Karen is winding down her newbie project for the year, but Trudi's is ongoing. If you sent extra postage and/or extra mailers (um, that would be you, Jase & Julie, among others), you won't need to send me anything for the second round - for those of you who get your mailers back & find either you sent exact or not enough postage, I would appreciate it if you send me additional when round 2 comes around. If you need to know what you sent, I do have a record - I keep the paperwork for awhile - but I'm not one to quibble over pennies.

Looking forward to getting back to WSing - but since my location situation is still up in the air, the fact that I haven't done a whole lot of WSing yet may be a blessing if I have to move and find homes for all those containers.

And speaking of blessings - as much as I know I really can't do this again, and must either pass the torch to someone else next year or give TGS a rest, it has been a real blessing for me to do this. In this year of political change, when we are coming face to face with the state of our country and the world, it is breathtaking to think of what one stranger can do for another and another and another...and thereby be the angels and agents of positive change.

Good night, and may you all have beautiful gardens in 2008.

Kim

Comments (114)

• mokey
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hey all!
    i picked up my seeds and am extremely excited for spring to actually have these plants in the yard. thx to all for sending me wonderfully things to try. thx to out great hostess for handling the task. i usually get some duplicates(not that i mind cause i then share with friends and family)but not this time. tomorrow i am going to sow 25 containers. this was a great swap.

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Oh, I have another thing to be thankful for--almost every seed packet had the trader's name on it, or the big baggie did. I've already emailed 2 people with questions about the seeds I got, and I'm so glad to be able to do that! Thank you for putting your name on the packets!

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Checking the outstanding DCs tells me that everyone's packet has been delivered. I am just about done cataloguing the remaining seeds. On Thursday or Friday I will send out an email to the group with the list as an attachment (it's pretty long). Choose the seeds you would like to have, and email me. If I received additional postage from you and/or additional mailers on the first round, you will not need to send me anything - I will just mail your seeds to you (I still have all the addresses). If you sent in just enough to cover the first batch, I'll appreciate it if you send me a few more stamps - I may have enough bubble mailers to cover this (and I'd like to get rid of a few, LOL).

Preferences will be given to those who sent in more seeds than they received back originally; that seems most equitable to me. But there are multiples of most seeds on the list, and many of these are things the 'vets' may already have, so ask away freely - I only ask that you request only those things you think you will genuinely use.

Remembering that there were some problems getting email to everyone in the first round, if you have not received an email from me by 2/9, please email me for the information.
    Make your requests by the 16th, and I'll mail them out. Unclaimed seeds will be sent to Wintersown.org for an ongoing newbie project.

Also, I encourage you to update those wants lists - I am still trying to figure out how to get my seed stash reduction side more active than my seed hoarding side, and if I see anything on your wish lists that I have, I'll enclose some seeds for that, too.

Thanks again for playing - and watch your email (spam boxes, too, if that's where my communications go!) for Round Two.

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The email has gone out to you as of a couple of minutes ago. If you don't get it, email me directly.

Thanks,

Kim

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have received emails so far from Annette1964, Plantaholics, Lisam627, Limequilla, Stacy2564, Kirsti (thehills2), Claylady, Beckilove, Strmywthr, Albertar, Monarchgirl, Roflol, Micyrey, Astilbe, Sandlapperrose.

• cottageflowers
    16 years ago

Hello Drippy. I had sent you an email earlier today but don't see my name on the list so I sent another one to make sure you got the last one I sent. Thanks, jenny.

• shimla
    16 years ago

You guys are awesome! I received such a nice package from this swap :) I just got done putting it into my spreadsheet so I can check it off when I've got it WS'ed. I was so excited to start planting that I began planting even before I looked things up! A couple of you were extremely generous with all of the varieties sent in with my name on them. Just wanted to let you know it's very much appreciated! I usually end up with a 'discard' pile when I do a swap but not this one! I didn't even bother to file anything in my seed box, I'm just planting right from the package of goodies!

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've also received emails from Aaaccc, Sketchmark, Momcat, Cottageflowers (I did receive an earlier one, hope my response cleared up the confusion, Jenny!), Rbrady, Shimla, Rosepedal, and Moonphase.

• threeshyacres
    16 years ago

Hi Drippy,

I tried to E-mail you twice, but I keep getting error messages. I am just going to post the seeds from your list that I am interested in here. Please let me know if you receive this message. Thanks!

Dianthus-Crimsonia
    Dianthus-Black Magic
    Marigold Sunset Giants
    Poppy-Antique Rose Peony
    Zinnia-Profusion Cherry
    Sunflower-Chianti
    Sunflower-Jade
    Sunflower-Ruby Sunset

Jodi B.

: )

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I've now had communication from Threeshyacres, Maricybele, and Stagerat as well. You're all being very prompt, which is great. If I can track down the others' interests sooner than I anticipated, I'll get these seeds out to you. I will email everyone with what's available from their "picks" and postage requirements, but it might take a few days, so don't worry. I have printed out every list that came my way, so I have hard copy, LOL!

• annette_1964
    16 years ago

BIG THANKS to you Kim. You did a super job with the distribution of the seeds. This was my first big seed swap and I was definitely very pleased with it. I received some many seeds from you wonderful people who responded to my theme for drought/heat resistant plants. There are some nice, wonderful, caring people out there willing to help others out. Thanks everyone for making my day.

Have a great day everyone,
    Annette

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've also received email from Mokey, and updates from Sandlapperrose and Roflol. If any of the outstanding participants (well, you're all outstanding, LOL, but you know what I mean!): Naturenut, Fairydancer, Dottiesplace, Etravia, Fcoffill, Juliemn, Kelboindy, Moonberry - I know I said email me by 2/15, but if you can email me earlier and let me know if you're interested, I'd appreciate it.

• dotties_place
    16 years ago

Kim - I'm having problems with my email so will respond here. I received so many nice seeds in my envelope that I am I am bulging with seeds so I will pass on requesting additional.

Thanks again everyone for the great seeds you sent in for the swap! I've been busy with my daughters sowing, sowing and sowing seeds.

Dottie

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Hi Kim (and everyone else) I am sorry to have not responded to your e-mail. There are a few things which I covet greatly, but I have so many seeds and no sign of a break in the drought that continues to plague the south east, It is all I can do to plant the seeds I have (there is a lot of guilt here) but I never met a seed that I didn't want to watch sprout) I am not a seed saver so much as a seed grower.... thanks to the generous people in this group, my DH is starting to doubt my sanity) and I am starting to agree with him.

"can't grow them all" "can't throw em away"

lol

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

All of the Flowers of all of the Tomorrows are in the Seeds of Yesterday

this old proverb sort of sums up my 'wonder' of seeds.... if I could get past this perhaps I could collect seeds for their own sakes.... but I cannot, each seed is a flower, each seed a promise for tomorrow.....

(Sheesh I am such a sap)

lol

Frances

THanks again to all who sent such wonderful 'future' flowers to me

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

That is going on my refriderator Thanks frances for sharing that....... You are a special person.... It was a special trade with special people caring for one another.......Barb

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Drippy, Kim

Frances said it all. You do have a special rr here.....

It is alot of work... But you and others made it special.... GW would lose alot by losing you doing this once a year.... You have touched alot of people....... Barb

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Right there with ya, Frances! So now I am waiting to hear only from Naturenut, Etravia, Pattygrow5, Kelboindy, Moonberry

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

By the way Frances the saps are the ones that spread the hugs and love to each other........ Thanks for the hug today. Hugs to everyone......Barb

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

rosepedal
    if I did cross stitch that would be the saying I would put on those pillows (remember granma's house) but I do not, more 's the pity. I do take photos of flowers though. and I love every one.

pray for rain, buckets and barrels, for every one I haven'tthanked personally. its on;y because I haven't gotten to your seeds yet. (flu, work and lack of water I can spend)

but I am getting there.

"Hugs" to rosepedal and wishes for a warm wet spring for everyone! Kim, Thanks again for hosting this wonderful swap and givng me a chance to meet all of these caring and generous gardeners

Frances

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, folks - sorry I've been out of touch - we've been finalizing plans here. We are moving to South Carolina this year from New England, and I'm still shell-shocked.

For those of you that have sent second round lists, I will be in touch with you either over the weekend or early next week about what will be coming from your lists (I'm afraid I wasn't able to fill all requests, though I did split packs wherever I could) and any postage necessary (Stacy & Fran, I got postage from you). I am going to mail them out from my P.O. - they meter them for me, and it's just easier for me to do it that way. You can then mail me stamps in a regular envelope (please no money) - I trust you! :) I will probably mail these with DC for my own peace of mind, but you do NOT need to reimburse me for that - that's my choice so I sleep better knowing the seeds arrived safely.

Most, if not all, of you will be getting a lot of the stuff you requested, so I think you'll be reasonably happy. And I will be happy to clean up shop here!

Kim, who is trying to figure out how to take her gardens with her without being a rat to whoever the new house owners are.

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

Hi Drippy,
    Did you get my envelope with my postage? I jumped the gun alittle and mailed it before I read your post. I mailed it Feb.8th. Can't thank you enough for this great swap!!!Marylee

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Marylee, I did - sorry I didn't post that earlier.

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

That's ok, Drippy, I was just checking to make sure it didn't get lost. If you need more postage just let me know and I will send some more to you. Thanks...Marylee

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Kim, I should be fine on postage. I sent a book of stamps the first go around, and my envie was something like $3.30 coming home to me. BUT I can send more postage if you used the extra for somebody who didn't send that much in (originally) if you need me to.

South Carolina...South Carolina.... I am drawing a blank on what I can say that won't make somebody mad, somewhere. The only thing I can think of is: Your winters will be so much nicer! LOL!

Lime

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Kim!

Advance, welcome! lol, I am also a transplant from the North!

Lots of new challenges for you! But lots of good news too! 10 months of gardening! You can garden 12 months, but I have found August is just plain HOT HOT HOT! (100F+ is not unusual) Best time to stay indoors and February is very unpredictable. (wet, cool, warm windy, weird) sort of like late March or early April up north.

Snow is RARE, never needs shovelling, melts by midday! (I really miss it sometimes, but a 'call home' usually cures me! No more lifting tender perennials in the fall ! (dahlia, canna, glads). Planting flowers in the fall to have colour in the garden all winter! (I didn't this year because of the drought) Pansies, allysum, Snapdragons, Mums and Asters and other plants that prefer cooler weather.

Love it or hate it, lots of new challenges and surprises instore

Welcome to the South
    Frances

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone - the mailers are stuffed & ready to go. I will send them out Tuesday & Wednesday next week. After I determine postage costs, I'll email you with stamps to send. Most of you didn't request scads of things from the list, so many of the mailers are pretty light. Also, there were a few things requested by many, and although I split packs wherever possible, there's bound to be a few things on your list you didn't get. Most of you got most of what you asked for, though.

Postage-wise, I know Julie, Jase, Lime, Alberta, Stacy & Marylee are covered.

Frances, I am feeling entirely schizophrenic at the moment. I welcome shorter winters, longer growing seasons, a supposedly lower cost of living than New England, and adventure in general. As I announced the move to my piano students earlier this week and this is a very small town, the fallout has been predictable and difficult - I'm also leaving a lot of family behind. I think it will all work out for the best, but I will miss my ocean and my New Bedford scallops (we'll be in the NW corner of SC - near the NC border).

All for now,

Kim (who has never been able to teach her NY husband to say "skah-lops" - he pronounces the "a" like "hat" - shudder)

• albertar
    16 years ago

Kim
    I truthfully can not take too much more of these crazy NY winters and am thinking of heading south in a few years. DH retires this December, and I'm seriously considering one of the Carolina's so maybe we'll be neighbors. It's nothing definite yet, just a thought for now, but the cold is hurting these old bones worse and worse each winter. The thought of being able to garden 9 or 10 months a year sounds so wonderful. I need SUN and WARM WEATHER...NOW.
    Alberta

• roflol
    16 years ago

Kim, I'm actually jealous. When my hubby and I visited his uncle in Oregon in 1987, I fell in love with the place (funny to realize now that they have a longer growing season than I do!) and vowed to move there from land-locked Missouri someday, but his parents were alive then (he's an only child) so it was not an option. His mother died in July, and his father just this morning (which is why I'm online, nothing will be normal today I think)... So, not that I think we will be moving any time soon (one child is a junior in HS and would rather live in a cardboard box in the street than switch now), but I am already mentally repainting the interior of the house in neutrals and staging the rooms for resale. :-)

Terri (who wonders if, when Kim rides horses, does her steed "gah-lop" as well? ;-])

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terri, I am very sorry to hear of your FIL's passing - that is a lot of losses in a short period of time. Your husband must be pretty devastated, and it's hard on you, too, even if it's only for being supportive of him. This is a time you will want the friends you have around you - moving would, in a way, be another kind of death. Yet as time passes, you may find your husband may welcome a change of scenery.

Kids, on the other hand...our DD, who has just committed to staying overseas for another two years (at least), is a little freaked out about the idea that WE are changing homes. Go figure.

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Oh, roflol, I'm sorry about your losses. That must be tough on you and your husband. It seems like you're ready for the adventure of a new place, but I wonder if he might need to cling to where you live now as he deals with losing both his parents. Or, he may be right there with you, ready to go. It seems to make sense to delay moving until your daughter is out of school. Maybe the threat of moving away can be an incentive for your child to get really good grades--or else! :)

• pamperedavonchefof3
    16 years ago

would love to join in this swap if ever there is an opening I have just been browsing and found that i have alot of spare time these days and would love to try these out. hope all is well with everyone and the families.
    Jamie

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, they're off! Spent awhile at the post office this a.m., which is actually sort of a gathering place for this small town anyway. Individual emails to follow soon - happy gardening, all!

Jamie, your posting was a bit too late for this one. The Theme Garden Swap actually took place in January; I was just wrapping this up by sending out some of the undesignated seeds to the players who wanted them. Hopefully someone will be willing to run it next year - watch for other swaps; people run them often.

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Round two participants - if you are mailing me postage, there is no need to send bubble mailer - doing this second round successfully reduced my supply without the guilt of throwing them away (I am not packing bubble mailers for an interstate move, LOL!).

I humbly thank you for helping Kim avoid one more "Pitch and B*^%$" item.

:)

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Kim,
    Thank you so much - I just got the 2nd round seeds! Yippee!! Thank you for doing all this!
    Becki

• shimla
    16 years ago

My second batch came last night! Thanks again, Drippy! Ooh, I hope the candytuft germinates for me! I was really looking forward to that one, I'm glad it was in my envelope. I have grown it for the past few years but they are always in pastels. I've gotten almost all of my perennials knocked out and getting ready to start in on the annuals in March. Trying to keep the madness down this year but I'm over 200 containers already!

Rest up, I'm sure you're going to have a massive amount to WS your first year in a new home! Have a safe and happy relocation!

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Hi Drippy,
    I received the seeds today. I am soooo excited to start julie's belle blanche datura I seen her pictures a while back. They are awesome julie...... I am so excited to ws and start some in the little gh.... Thanks so much once again. Barb

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I would like to thank Kim and all the participants for sharing the extra seeds from the Theme Garden Swap with WinterSown.Org.

The past several weeks here have been a whirlwind of SASEs; Winter is always a busy SASE season but in comparison it has been many, many more SASEs than a year ago. The surge of requests has left me in great need of seeds, much of my stock was depleted. You can only imagine my joy and relief when I found so many ready-to-go packets. The seeds themselves are a great gift, but having them pre-packed, labeled and ready for sharing gives me the greater gift of a lesser work load.

It is obvious the amount of work that has gone into all these packets--they're all well made, unique and filled generously with a stunning variety of seeds. It will be a pleasure and an honor to share these seeds through the WinterSown Seeds for SASE programs--some are already in the SASEs that came today to be filled.

With deep gratitude and sincerity,

Trudi Davidoff
    WinterSown Educational

• threeshyacres
    16 years ago

Hi Drippy,

I got mine yesterday...thanks so much! I will be sending your postage this week.

Have a great move!
    Jodi B.
    : )

• rbrady
    16 years ago

Hi Kim!

Received my second batch of seeds today! Thank you soooo much! They are awesome! I wintersowed them earlier. Thank you to everyone for making this a super swap!

Rhonda

PS: The postage is on the way!

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago

YAY!!!
    I got my second pack of wonderfull seeds,
    thank you Miss Drippy you have made the dreary winter a lot better, thanks sooo very much
    micyrey

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

my second pack of seeds arrived today. hope you got my postage ok.

thanks again drippy! you're great!
    Barbi

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

I also received my second batch of seeds. Thank you so much everyone! An extra big thank you to Kim. My garden will be off to a good start.

Jeanne

• cottageflowers
    16 years ago

Hello. I received my 2nd batch of seeds and wanted to thank everyone and especially Kim who did such a wonderful job!!! My stamps will go out tomorrow. Thanks and happy gardening. Jenny.

• drippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope you all are still reading this thread - I got stamps today from Barbi (Strmywthr), Rhonda (Rbrady), Monique (Mokey), and Lisa (Maricybele) - thanks!

I see that some of the seeds (I've been checking DCs) are a little pokey - they should arrive soon, though. Terri, supposedly the routing error I made has been corrected and yours are on the way, too.

• roflol
    16 years ago

Second round rec'd today - thanks so much Kim! This should just about take care of the final few jugs of wintersowing I had left; very ready to be done with it :-). Will get the stamps out to you ASAP. For all the gripes I have with the PO, they did manage to get them here durn quickly I think, and for that I thank them; and I thoroughly understand, Kim... I'm not good with numbers myself... words yes, numbers no way. ;-)

Re the move, Kim and stage_rat, that's just been a dream of mine for 20+ years... not going to happen any time soon (if ever). Yes, need to let things settle here I guess; I do tend to cut and run when things get bad (or just turn my music up really loud). My mom and dad moved 80 miles away several years ago (to get out of the city), and now my mom tells me I can't move to Oregon until *they* die... (???!!!) lol. This from the woman who moved away from her whole family in PA to *TX* and then eventually to *MO*. lolol. And she's only half kidding when she says I have to wait. Sooooo, here's hoping I survive long enough to move to Oregon. :-)

Anywho, thanks for the kind words, and again thanks for the great swap and the great seeds. Best wishes to all.
    Terri

• limequilla
    16 years ago

Hi Kim! I received the 2nd wave envelope several days ago and have been remiss in not logging on and saying thank you. OMG! Between this batch and the batch from Julie in December, I have been a sowing fool! Kim, thanks for the second chance, and the first chance, too :))

....and thanks to everybody for the really cool seeds!Lime

• astilbebstillz6a
    16 years ago

I received my second bunch of seeds yesterday. Thanks to all of you for a great swap!...Marylee

• mokey
    16 years ago

I got my second batch too! i am hoping to finish sowing my perennials tomorrow. then maybe next sunday i can start doing annuals and can probabley have lots of color in the yard by the end of april. i live in AL and last year we got a cold snap in early april that last for about 2 weeks. i have some things that need to be moved around to make room for all my new plants.

• pattygrow5
    16 years ago

Hi Kim I have been offline for almost 2 months now I am so happy to be back had to post you out did yourself this was the best swap I ever participated in thanks everyone for the great seeds you sent for me and thanks Kim for the superb job you did distributing them.You are the best!!
    Patty