Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

UPDATE: WoW Thanks! I Wanted That Swap sign-ups part 2

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

New Wanted Swap! You will look at members who sign up for this swap list, then choose items from their list to send them. Please make sure it is on someones want list, ALTHOUGH extras can be sent in and be given at random. The plan is to have seeds sent in from your want list, I can not predict how many will come for you. So if you send in 150 then you may only get 60 sent in for you. IF there are enough extras sent in I will make it up, if not I may not be able to cover you. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS, my stash IS limited at the moment. Remember, this is based on the packets sent in to you, although I would like for it to be fair I have no control over who sends to whom, OR how many extras may be sent in.

1. There will be no limit on the amount of seeds you send in. However, they must be marked with the person they are for, either by a number they will be matched too OR their GW name, extras that maybe included could be placed in a zip baggie with EXTRAS listed on it. This will be used to fill in any gaps there maybe in make-up returns. IF you do not want the number you send in returned to you then PLEASE let me know in your package.

2. You will get the seeds sent in to you UNLESS there are 5 packs of the same thing THEN they will go in a duplicate bowl and distributed among everyone.

3. You will have until Jan. 31 to sign up and the envies must be sent to me by Feb. 20 this will give everyone time to update their list.

4. YOU MUST HAVE A WANT LIST!!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR HAVE LIST BUT THE WANT LIST IS A MUST! Otherwise no one will know WHAT to send you! IF YOU PLAN TO SIGN UP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE UPDATE YOUR WANT LISTÂyou will have time to update BEFORE sending but PLEASE at least have something for us to look at.

5. This will be for packets received only, I will Âtry to match your returns with the number you send in, HOWEVER, I have no control over the number actually sent so you may only have a few packets sent to you, which will be available for return. UNDERSTAND THIS IS A ÂGIFT TO OTHERS SWAP.

6. Please send in a bubble envy with enough postage to send back to you. If it cost you 4 stamps to send to me then please include at least 4 stamps back. MY POST OFFICE IS ONE THAT TENDS TO OVERCHARGE HOWEVER (irks me too!) But I will handle that I guess.

7. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SEND IN TO ME BY FEB. 20th I plan to have these back to you by March 7 before then IF everyone sends in on time. BUT I would really like to have them back to you no later then the first week of MARCH. MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE YOUR LIST AFTER YOU RECIEVE FROM ANY OTHER SWAPS YOU ARE IN UNLESS YOU WANT DUPLICATES OF WHAT YOU ALREADY RECEIVED.

8. HAVE FUN!!! If you have a specific question you may ask it here.

9. Limited or HARD to come by seeds may be a lower number, but if you have plenty of something please include a good amount just in case some have trouble starting seeds. Large seeds of course 15 to 25 would be ok, like bean seeds. OK?!

Also this will give you some time to get some things Winter Sown and maybe you can share some of what you might have left over and it will allow you to receive some more last minute wants in time to STILL winter sow them!!!

OK, marking seeds for the person they are intended for, you can either tape them to an index card and list the seeds such as:

1. Dianthus "Siberian Blues"

2. Aquilegia/Columbine ÂRuby PortÂ

OR you can type them to a sheet of paper with your list

OR you can simple place them in a baggie with a list and name of whom they are for.

OK, I think I have covered a lot, I hope! Please sign up! Thanks, I look forward to hosting for you!

---------------------------------------Original Post ABOVE---------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------Added Swap info BELOW---------------------------------------------

NOTE: When your mail you bubble mailer to me, you also need to include an address label for returning to you and a list of what you sent in so I can make sure NOT to resend your seeds back to you if there are any extras to send back to anyone.

IMPORANT MESSAGE FOR ALL: PLEASE REMEMBER SOME OF US ARE PLAYING IN OTHER SWAPS AND WE WILL NOT UPDATE OUR PAGES UNTIL WE RECEIVE THOSE ENVIES BACK. I WILL RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT THOSE OF US WHO WISH TO UPDATE UPON ARRIVAL OF OUR OTHER PACKAGES THAT YOU WILL GO BACK AND CHECK OUR UPDATED PAGES

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WILL BE UPDATING AFTER RECEIVING SWAP PACKAGES PLEASE POST ON THE THREAD WHEN YOU HAVE UPDATED SO THAT WE WILL KNOW TO GO LOOK AT YOUR TRADE PAGES AGAIN BEFORE MAILING OUT...THANK YOU

REMEMBER GET YOUR TRADE PAGES STARTED IF THEY ARE BLANK, and those of us who are in the other swaps we will be updating a little later so let's try to wait and send in until we can check those members list.

Those of us who are in other swaps will POST TRADE PAGE UPDATED when we change our info!

NOTE: No one needs to start sending out until around the 7 or 8 of Feb, that way this will give them time to look at those of us list that have been updated from the other swaps.

SO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR LIST ARE UPDATED AS SOON AS YOU CAN GET THEM DONE BEFORE MAIL OUTS STARTS!!!! IF you don't mind getting doubles of something you already received then PLEASE leave it listed as a want!

I will do my best to make sure you get as many back as you send in. ALSO if you want all flowers or all veggies or a mix then make sure I know this too so I can send you back what you are really wanting.

I would have my trade page updated by no later then Feb 10. This still gives everyone time to check your list and mail to me. I would like to be able to mail your envies back to you by the last week of Feb. IF some of you will be a little late sending to me this is ok, BUT I would really like to get them back to you by the 1 first week of March.

I want to add that anyone can add to their list as much as they like. It was suggested in the other swap group 9as suggested by agirlsgirl, Thank you dear great idea btw) to post the date you newly updated like if you added Carrots: Purple Dragon and Carrots: Thumbelina and Artichoke: Globe you would post your update like this:

01/13/09

Artichoke: Globe

Carrots: Purple Dragon

Carrots: Thumbelina

This makes it easier on those who have already checked your list to find your updated information.

Ok, about marking packs for someone else. I suggested using an index card and writing down the seeds with the persons # number and name on the top BUT this is not mandatory, you can put them in a baggie is you wish like those sandwich baggies that either fold over or zip lock. IF you use the fold over baggies make sure you secure them so that the seeds don't fall out and then you can tape a piece of paper to the baggie with the person name and #number example: #1 NCGardengirl this will let me know who it is for.

Be SURE when you send your seeds in you let me know your GW name and your number assigned to you because I will be going by the number list we have going. It just makes it easier to look at the number then try to hunt a name. Which is the reason I also am asking you to use the number# assigned to each person.

Again, if you have questions PLEASE ask them.

It was suggested to me that we should hold one of these swap more than once a year. Would there be any interest in may having another one? Possibly every four months? Schedule would have to be worked out later. If you think you might be interested in something like this please EMAIL me about it.

Thanks so much,

Your Hostess,

:) Fran

Comments (151)

• lgslgs
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fran - I set some of the marshmallow seeds aside for you to so you don't have to go hunting for them in the "extras" bag.

Yep - The postal holiday fooled me too. Out in the snow to put bubble envies out this morning, then out again to bring them back in for the day.

Well - back to playing with seeds and seed wish lists for a while. This is so much fun.

Lynda

• jas_il
    15 years ago

sassybutterfly,
    Can I have from your list if you still have?
    Alyssum GoldenTuft
    Moss Verbena
    Balsam Camellia Mix

Thanks
    Jasmine

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

I am not in Frans list, but I too am in Patty's swap.

• heatherbon
    15 years ago

I have discovered with these swaps I have a real problem with WAITING!!! lol I know exactly how blue-ivy felt about "common" seeds that is what I thought about mine but then Fran held my hand and told me it would be ok!! lol
    This will be my second swap this being the Biggest and I am very excited. I decided to go out and by that I mean thru the power of internet since we live in the sticks and seeds aren't put out till right before spring, I have gotten several new seeds I am worse than a kid in a candy store. haha

Thank you again Fran for taking all the skiddish newbies in and making us feel welcome and everyone else too this is going to be fun I think now that I am not in the corner rocking and crying anymore! *Huge Smile*****

If anyone sees anything on my list that interests them let me know and I will set it aside and label it for you!!

~heather

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I would like to join this swap Please. I have just updated my lists and will be adding more soon. Thanks, Linda

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yotetrapper you were on my list in my head, does that count? I am so sorry I was positive I put you on it...gosh I am sorry I missed you I will fix it!

Linda hon, did you get everything worked out? Is everything good with you and hubs now? Glad you are joining, sorry you had to drop out of the other one...

Oh Heather! You should have told me you were freaking out in the corner! We all would have pulled you out you silly girl!

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE IN PATTY's and other swap
    01. ncgardengirl-Fran
    03. markcase1964-Mark
    06. conniesc-Connie
    08. dirtdiggin-Toni
    10. grolikecrazy-Chris
    14. sissifriss-Myriah
    15. chellflower-Chell
    17. poisondartfrog-Alana
    20. angelady-Angela
    23. smokymist
    26. ishareflowers-Lisa
    27. purpleacres-Tracy Not in Patty's BUT hosting her own
    30. hmacdona-Heather
    36. yotetrapper
    39. sassybutterfly_2008-Wendy
    40. threeshyacres-Jodi
    Make a note that you don't have to check these right now, you can when we all post we have updated.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Linda! Hey! Glad you could join in.. I sent in some seeds to the other swap, I understood someone was still going to mail a pkg to you.. I hope that's still the case!

Jasmine ~ I think I have enough to share what you asked for. Ya'll keep in mind tho my list is NOT at all updated until after I've rec'd the wlomwl pkg and then I'll let ya know when it's open for business! :)

Fran ~ ty we're still all a lil cruddy feeling but it's gettin' better.. supposed to go to a hockey game tonight but brr it's gonna be cold.......

Hugs,
    Wendy

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Thanks Wendy, I am glad to be in this swap too. I have had such a time keeping up this winter that I have had to drop out of many swaps, I have really missed it. I will be checking lists asap.
    Thanks, Linda

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Just Stopping in to say Hello!

Happy Gardening!

Kamil

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Kamil! How's it growing? Cute green thumb there!

Linda, just take it one day at a time now, don't get overwhelmed like some have already...hehe. I have checked list, need to start packing so I don't get behind....

Chris, you good now? LOL. Gotta keep checking on you, all those extras you put in the other swap just toss them this way, lol.

Heather, you out of that corner for good now? You've seen it isn't as bad as you thought right? Just gotta get started...lol.

Gosh I was gonna tell ya'll something and by the time I got to this point to tell you, I forgot what it was...good grief I am gonna go take a nap!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

Hello!! i see some people i actually "know" LOL Hey Ya'll!! whatchya been upto?? **smile** not much here. just stopping by to say hi and trying to figure out where a person is that i got something form, LOL ~Medo

• heatherbon
    15 years ago

Nope no rocking and crying here.....anymore!! I am so excited about this now my husband not soi much I had to explain that I NEEDED more seeds and that I do not have a problem. I have tried to tell him that the people in this swap are way worse at seed collecting than I am. lol
    That didn't get me real far. Now I play in all the seeds quietly out of sight!! haha

Fran I hope you are takin those breaks and breathing....lol
    don't want you to over do it!!

Take care it is getting COLD here again so I am going to bundle up in my blankies and try not to get sick again!!

Freezing in Indiana
    ~heather

• SmokyMist
    15 years ago

Whew, now that I have my seed box for the other swap in the mail, I can walk over here and start thinking about this one. I'm terrible about not checking this thread often, so if anyone needs me , email me lol.
    I'm going to start working on a new 'want' list...where to begin ( drags out all the seed catalogs )...bwahahhaha

And you can put my name by my nickname, it's Cheryl ;o)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cheryl I was wondering if you were gonna share that info with us...lol.

I need to go through the emails and put peoples GW name with the email addys so it is easy to figure out whose who when I start sending out my address.
    Gosh can ya'll believe it is already JAN 20th! BOY oh BOY time goes by fast when you get older....lol.

It is cold here too, we had a little snow flurry last night it flaked a little then was gone!

Adding Cheryl's name to her GW name on the list :) this is the only new update lol. At least it IS one.

01. ncgardengirl-Fran
    02. medontdo-Michele
    03. markcase1964-Mark
    04. lgslgs-Lynda
    05. misskimmie-Kim
    06. conniesc-Connie
    07. heatherbon-Heather
    08. dirtdiggin-Toni
    09. gardeningbingo
    10. grolikecrazy-Chris
    11. douglasls-Lisa
    12. beverlysc-Bev
    13. aphroditelaughs-Ellie
    14. sissifriss-Myriah
    15. chellflower-Chell
    16. mary_grether-Mary
    17. poisondartfrog-Alana
    18. grovespirit-Iris
    19. lindaruzicka-Linda
    20. angelady-Angela
    21. dimples31312-Dorothy
    22. strmywthr3-Barbi
    23. smokymist-Cheryl
    24. jas_il-Jasmine
    25. kristlindgren-Kris
    26. ishareflowers-Lisa
    27. purpleacres-Tracy
    28. countrygirl_sc-Gail
    29. fleethart-Fleety
    30. hmacdona-Heather
    31. echinaceamaniac-Clint
    32. lakedallasmary-Mary
    33. diana_lynn-Diana Lynn
    34. smitties
    35. ashle999
    36. yotetrapper
    37. mcbdz-Pattie

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Howdee there

Not really any idea what to send so I guess I should just post here. ANY ONE WANT ANY HEIRLOOM VEGGIE SEEDS? My list is pretty close to being up to date.

Acres

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Howdee Tracy, good seeing your posts. I'd love colorful beans and peppers, cukes and yellow watermelon, for now.
    I have carrots, spinach, peppers, eggplant and few others.

Good seeing familiar names and new ones joining, have fun all.
    Brought my plants inside again, it's 30 deg in the patio corner, this better be the last cold spell of the season.
    Repeating myself and who listens? lol

Watched some inauguration as I have since 1965, historic event being made, how times have changed, hope eventually there is change for the better, seems to be the only way to go now, we need blessings and miracles. Hope this unites country more, there is strength in multitudes.

Be well, take care, see you all soon,

GB-Bea

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Acres you have some wonderful seeds on your list! If you can spare 3 or 4 seeds each of Red Warty Thing and both Hubbard Squashes, as well as Toad Melon, I would love to try them!
    I will see if I can come up with some things from your want list.

Bea, yesterday was fabulous!

Have a good day, everyone. It looks like we will be back in the 50's here by the weekend....time to prune the fruit trees.

Alana

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Alright, go ahead and sign me up! LOL, I've been requesting seeds already, and we all know I'm gonna join anyway! So, I'm in. I'll try to get my lists updated quickly after Patty's swap comes back. I'm gonna try to get my haves updated this week so everything's ready.

Kathy

• fleethart
    15 years ago

Fran,
    I did a quick check on email. My member page has the correct address, so it should work. I get all kinds of spam, so I know I can receive email. It should work from GW. Baby is in the hospital so after I get home, if still no messages, I will send you a PM.
    Fleety

• jas_il
    15 years ago

sassybutterfly (Wendy),
    Thank you so much.

Wendy (ibartoo),

Can I have little bit of these seeds from your list? I am really looking for it for a long time.

Clematis: Nellie Moser, Dr. Ruppel, duchess of edinburgh
    cyperus ( umbrella palm)

Thanks a lot
    Jasmine

• molanic
    15 years ago

Ok I've been lurking and am ready to join now, so please sign me up :) Wasn't sure I would have enough to offer, but I think it is ok now. I won't be able to keep up with all the posts on here, so if there is important news please e-mail me.

-Molanic

• aphroditelaughs
    15 years ago

Purpleacres,

Your list is amazing! If you have some to spare, I would love some Isis Candy and Matina tomato seeds, please.

Thanks,
    Ellie
    aphroditelaughs

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Kathy ~ I knew you'd cave in! hehehe Welcome!

Jas_il ~ you're quite welcome!

Acres ~ I've already made quite a wish list from your list of things I just GOTTA add on to my evergrowing want list! *sighhh I will never have enough acreage to support this habit!! lol Should I email you? I'd be happy w/ only 1 or 2 seeds of each if you have them to spare! I can't stand to seem greedy! :P

Douglasls ~ another list I was just having so much fun googling pics of.. wow wow and wow!

I spent a few hours researching everyone's lists that isn't in on Patty's swap. Looks like I'll be sending in another large packet of seeds to share! This is such a fantastic way to share seeds w/ friends, to 'try' new veggies or flowers you might not have the chance to.. I am just really enjoying it! TY Fran! :)

I promise I will update my list just as soon as we get our pkgs from Patty's swap.. I'm just itchin' to get my fingers in it so I'll know what more I have to share!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Alana if you stillhave any left, i would love to have some Salvia coccinea, Snow Nymph ,Salvia coccinea, Lavender
    Salvia greggii x microphylla Maraschino Brazilian Fireworks and Porphyrocoma pohliana. Thank you. Chris

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Chris,
    I am delighted to send you the Porphyrocoma (Brazilian Fireworks) and Salvia Snow Nymph. I am afraid the others are all used up.

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Nice to see you grannieB and why are you not in my acres swap haha. Just buggin. I have you marked down for a few things :-) I also have to tell you LOVE THE TIPS on your trade list. A great thing to do with the extra space on the trade list. I had my collection of tomato seeds there at one time but people kept emailing and wanting to trade for my stash. Thats what you get for collecting tomato seeds. I have close to 300 varieties haha im an addict. A seed collecting addict.

poisonfroggie I have ear marked the seeds you want.

Aphroditelaughs I had you down for the iris candy and added the mantina.

Sassy - emailing me would work.

fran - this is alot more fun than once I quit worring about what to send :)

Acres

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Welcome to all the new enrollees!

Fleety - Oh, heavens! I sure hope your baby is okay! I'll be praying...

Fran - Can I make a suggestion? This was brought up by someone in another swap, and I really like the idea. You know how you sometimes only have one or two trade's worth of something? Someone offers the same thing up and a members says they want it and then goes to add it to their want list. Others go look at their want list (like yourself with that seed) and see that item and send it in also when they could have sent it in for someone else who didn't already have it coming to them.

So, I guess what my suggestion is, can we put (requested) next to it on our want lists if we're adding it to our want list so that everyone knows we already have at least a little of that seed coming our way?

I'm sorry to be so full of questions... I really do think this is the last one I have.... *ducks and runs as she feels Fran is coming with a 2x4 swinging wildly*

Blessings,
    Angela

• graanieb
    15 years ago

LOL...I needed that Angela, you have me laughing hard.

Welcome to all..and Acres, yes thought you mean well and would do me good to sign up to your swap, guess this is all I can manage now, especially since you've joined in along with some seeds, smile.
    Just got all my plants back outside, tired of it and it seems this time no freeze for at least a week.
    Salvias , coreopsis and cosmos that had made it, didn't last night, was coldest or they were just more vulnerable, they'll return readily.
    Pink VERBENA -got to give it praise! we love it, blooming now, no seeds yet but have seeds of Salvia coccinea pink and red, need white. Blue ones I brought inside, along with Lighthouse red, looking good.

more soon,
    GB Bea

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

*chuckling @ Angela... watch out for that 2x4! lol I dunno if I could keep up w/ marking my list for req'd items.. I will try but have you SEEN how long my list is?? LOL

Alana ~ If you have any left to spare.. and it wasn't already sent in for the other swap..lol I would LOVE some of those Brazilian Fireworks as well.. I saw a pic of that somewhere on GW the other day and it had the most amazing colors in it! Gorgeous...

Fleety ~ I hope your lil one is ok?!? Keep us posted, gosh there's been alot of lil ones sick lately.. :(

Acres ~ I'll email ya tomorrow if that's ok.. I spent toooooo much time today looking at flowers..LOL Now I gotta go do some housecleaning!!

Hiya G'Bea! :) That bringing plants in and out, in and out is no fun is it?!

Hugs everyone!
    ~Wendy

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Oh, goodness, was rushing, meant to ask about the baby, Fleety, hope she's doing well now, keep us posted, prayers.

Wendy, glad you're feeling well, that wasn't fun, know for sure. Bringing plants in every winter, isnt fun either but glad to have done it, these are some plants that've survived for years, mostly started from cuttings.
    Acres..you're welcome and welcome to add your tips, glad to be sharing good info with others.
    Learn something new every day and still know very little.

off to check the stove,
    Bea

15 years ago

Okay... *scared that Fran is hiding in the bushes ready to attack*.... I didn't mean that every single item we ask for has "requested" next to it... I just meant IF you're going to ADD something that you have requested (that wasn't already on your want list), that WHILE you were adding it to the list, would you please put "requested" next to it....

Okay... *off ducking and running again*.... LOL

Blessings,
    Angela

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Angela, you can add that. I have seen it on some other list as well.

Fleety, I did email you. Sorry you are having to be at the hospital, not a fun thing to do.

Ok I hate to be a gloomy gus but it has been brought to my attention there are a lot of private messages going around requesting seeds from others list.
    Some of us have a REALLY hard time saying no and even though this might be our private seeds and ONLY have enough for our selves we have trouble telling you no, I can't share with you. So we give in and say well I might can send you 3, 4, 5 or 6 seeds and that would only leave us with the same amount. This is not fair to the person you are asking these seeds from. From what I have been told these are fairly RARE or HARD to find seeds, that some have been requesting.

As I said before IF you ask someone and they say NO, I am sorry but PLEASE DO NOT GET UPSET OVER THIS, the seeds you requested MAY BE THE ONLY SEEDS of this particular varity they have and it is limited.

I know I addressed this somewhere else and said that some ppl do not want to be contacted about there haves. If they haven't posted it is ok to contact them then please ask them first if they have enough to share and IF they mind sharing if you contact someone who has not posted that it is ok to ask them.

From what I understand there have been a lot of people requesting seeds, PLEASE allow people the freedom to send you something LISTED on your list of wants without requesting something you may have found on someone else's haves. PLEASE LIST IT ON YOUR WANT LIST, IF they have it and can share they will Ok?

Again, some people do not want to be contacted others might just want the freedom of sharing what they CAN share, so when they see it on your WANT list they know you want it.
    In some cases if you request seeds from someone they may feel as though they HAVE to send it to you because you asked.

Please make it CLEAR if you do contact someone about seeds that you understand they MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SHARE WITH YOU BUT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS SEED AND WOULD THEY HAPPEN TO HAVE ENOUGH TO SHARE WITH YOU.

Those of you who have been contacted PLEASE DO NOT FEEL YOU HAVE TO SHARE THESE SEEDS, IF YOU ONLY HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT AND YOU CAN NOT SHARE THEM DO NOT FEEL AS THOUGH YOU ARE OBLIGATED BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH SOMEONE. PLEASE KNOW YOU DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECLINE TO INCLUDE THESE SEEDS, AND PLEASE DO NOT FEEL BAD FOR HAVING TO SAY NO....ok?

Again I am NOT saying you can not ask but remember sometimes you are putting the person you are contacting in a awkard position of having to say no. I am one of those ppl who have a hard time saying I can not share those seeds. In my case the seeds I have I have gotten from trading or from generous SASBEs all in 2008 everything I have is for me to plant this year. I DO have that noted and I have even gotten requests for them, in most cases I only have enough to plant my garden with, some packs I only have one pack of and I hate to tell you I am sorry I can not share so I will say ok, I will try to send you this amount. EVEN THOUGH I CLEARLY HAVE IT POSTED NOT TO ASK FOR THESE SEEDS! IN SOME CASES I do not have enough to share and I have used my supply now and the rest of what I have are mine.
    When someone contacts me for seeds I hate telling ANYONE NO esp. if it is someone I KNOW or someone I know is in a swap with me...so I end up offering to share some of mine...lol because it is hard to say no for me.
    SO again, let me say DO NOT GET YOUR FEELINGS HURT WHEN SOMEONE SAYS NO I CAN NOT SHARE WITH YOU, it is by NO means anything personal toward you, they just simply do not have enough to share right now....ok? Is this clear???

I do not know if it has even been people from this swap that have been contacting anyone, but since I was approached with it as a problem I am inclined to believe it has been so please again do not be offended if the person says NO or worse yet doesn't even reply to you.
    Please do not be offended by this note either, it is meant to inform BOTH parties how to address this issue.

Also, if you have a small amount of seeds you would like to gift someone please feel free to list it here so someone may claim them if you wish.

I was asked what is the least amount to include as a trade usually 10 or more seeds is consideder a trade. IF there are less then that please ask the person you are making a trade with if this amount is exceptable.
    I am looking for Big Mama Lima Beans and if I could get 5 seeds of this one I would be happy, but someone else might not so please ask when you are trading or planning on sending in a low amount if they are ok with less then 10 seeds.

Glad to see we have new ppl today....

WELCOME Kathy, I was hoping you would join. I hope you feel better REAL soon, I wish there was something I could do to make you feel better. I hate to know you are still in so much pain.

Welcome Molanic, glad to have you.

AS always I will update tonight and add you both to the list.

• lakedallasmary
    15 years ago

fleethart - it is ok to send drought tolerant lettuce if it is not too fussy.

I think shade for tomatoes is a great idea.

I hate to frustrate folks with my specific requests, so if you have a veggie that is close to what I am asking for or very Texas tolerant and you think I might have good luck with it, go ahead and send it.

someone e-mailed me to ask if they could send blackeyed susans, since I like native flowers. I plan to inter plant black eyed Susans with my veggies to shade them up a bit so I could use as many as I get sent. Cosmos might work for that too.

I don't grow fussy flowers, due to our infernos. They would not sprout or would dry up if they did. I try to plant native flowers to our area, since I never waste water on flowers. I can't eat my flowers. I save the water for the veggies.

As it is, I feel like a horrible gardener. I have had more failures than successes. We have 2 short growing seasons not one lonnnng one. Spring april 1 to may 15- jun 1 if we are lucky. Last frost can be late as april 15.

Second season is the fall/winter. about sept 1 - nov 1-15. Anything left in ground all winter needs to be pretty much done growing by nov 1-15. Cause by then the soil is too cool for them to grow much. But they will survive to harvest at leisure duing winter months. By June highs is 95. July high is 100, and august high is 110. By mid august temps start to drop in the 100's. Fall is a better time to plant but due to high heat and lack of rain, it can me a challenge to get stuff going. September temps drop to the 90's so ok to plant cool stuff.

Cowpeas, limas, and tomatoes can and do survive our summers.

My spring tomatoes did not make even 1 tomato, but since they were well established come june they made it through the inferno just fine to make a fall crop. It is my first year to get more than a handful of tomatoes. I have been selecting big uns. Now I know 8 oz and less is a much better idea. Probably 5 oz or less even a better idea.

Tried sweet corn once. What a disaster. But now I know the dent corns are the way to go here. But I have tasted field corn, does not make want to try that!

Never got anything but bitter lettuce even in the dead of winter. Spinach got to a squirrels ear's size last winter.

Bad gardener, bad.

I now know why certain veggies are considered southern: like cowpeas. They love it here. Some varieties do better than others, but they all perform in one way or other.

I have strangely had luck with pole wax beans. I plant them sept 1 and by oct 15 had tons of beans.

No luck with green beans yet. Planted wrong time of year. early and late spring. They need to be planted fall like the wax beans. And bush beans are sorry things to see here. They must have shallow roots since they surely hate drought, here anyway.

I planted cover crops this fall, so that should help things along. Before my first real year I also planted cover crops and the soil was so nice. The two years in between without cover crops the soil was lousy, even with mulch. So I now use a living mulch and the plants seem happier.

I am sure to boring you to tears.

I was going to get back in to the garden today, but busy typing here. It was 70 today. I like to take advantage of those nice winter days. I guess I am tired from digging garden trenches through my beds. I hope this helps the performance of the veggies. I think maybe surface watering with a watering wand is not all that effective. It tends to evaporate. I have started to water at 6 pm instead of about 10 am, so the temp is lower and I am not wasting my time.

I hope to have a better gardening year this year. My confidence is getting shaken. I often think of giving up on it. Year one (2005) and two was hot and dry, but in retrospect it contained more successes than recent times.

Year 3 rained a ridiculousness amount. Almost every day for 3 months. The garden and yard were flooded until July.

Last year, was even drier than 2006. I got a handful of wax beans from 5 plants. Had to save up the limas to get a meal or two. Had trouble to get those seeds to even come up, the fall was so dry. Spring and summer were dry too.

Ah, but his upcoming year I will have ditches, that I will water, and add veggie scraps to.

I am going to try to grow black eyed peas and limas, on poles and on the ground to see if keeping them out of the arid air and wind helps them out.

I found sprawled tomatoes are happier here.

I am going to try peas on the ground too. In 2005, I planted them with barley for them to grow up, but the barley never sprouted, so the peas crawled along the ground. They seemed quite happy growing along the ground.

Since then, I used trellises. They get blown off the trellis and tend to dry up. Not happy campers.

Never much success with melons. They seem to be water hoarders. Two falls ago I got 3 cukes from 2 plants. Last year, all my squash, melons and cukes succumbed to the severe drought without even one fruit from the whole batch. In 2005 and 2006 I had a whole counter full of winter squash. Maybe again it will be good like that.

This winter a bunny has been eating my carrot tops. I can't even find the carrots among the hairy vetch! He chewed the tops to the ground!. I am also finding bunny holes in my bed. dang bunny.

Ah but I have lots of rutabagas this year. First year to get them to be bigger than a golf ball. I started them inside in newspaper pots aug 3.

Winter radishes love my garden. Figures, radishes are not my favorite. They are ok mixed with other things if cooked though.

I am trying tepary beans this next year. They are supposed to actually enjoy drought. We shall see! Growing adzuki beans too. Might as well go with the low fertility things like beans. Our high heat uses up fertility quickly. I just read the other day, if soil is fertile, then less water is needed. I'll have to run with that idea.

If you have read this far down, you are probably bored with nothing better to do.

I was mostly trying to explain why I want certain veggies.

1. I either read they were drought tolerant someplace

2. They were grown by other southern gardeners in seed savers yearbook

3. or have growth habits that lend themselves to harsh conditions. Like serrated leaves, long vines, or pole habit, verses bushy short plants. I also like to select items with my dominant features, because I think they will be genetically stronger.

For beans the following are dominate traits.

tall plant
    dark seed
    round seed
    long days to mature
    dark pod color
    strings
    non edible pods

ok onto what else I might take not on my list specifically

any tall sturdy sorghum to grow tall cowpeas on

any tepary not specifically suited to mountains (cool nights).

southern limas that don't pout in heat and drought

pole wax beans with maturity not over 60 days (short fall here)

non green yard longs

any color garbanzos

drought tolerant carrot

I guess that is it.

Does this make it harder or easier???
    Also if you know what drought is, then anything that is good in your garden might do well here.

One more thing.....

Reading posts about 255 seeds packs makes worry. I so do not have 300 seeds to send. Instead of scrambling to add to my pile from the extras stash, you will be pulling things out so I won't get too much.

I will include a note, that if you send me any extras, please send veggies over flowers. I don't think I will have time to fight over the extras via this post so just surprise me.

I already have found 2 charities to send any veggies to that I might not like so don't worry the seeds will find a good home even if not my home. If I have never tried something yet (and thus have not failed with it yet) will will give it a go, just to see if I can do it. like parsnips, broccoli, okra, bulb fennel, Kohlrabi, peppers and cabbage, etc.

ok, enough babbling.

Mary

• lakedallasmary
    15 years ago

I am sending some seeds that I received in very small amts that I just don't happen to be too interested in. I am putting them in the extras baggy. If you want to combine 2-3 of these pack as trade per say, that is fine with me.

I am not really expecting to get as many as I send anyway since I want veggies and most have flower t offer. I mostly entered this swap to be able to find homes for some of the tomatoes I grew last summer.

I do wish I had more to offer, but I try to share seeds as soon as I find I don't need them so they won't get old, and someone else might enjoy them. Most of the seeds are from my own planting stash, that I have plenty of. I hope this is ok.

Mary

• heatherbon
    15 years ago

WHEW.....That was alot to take in!!! lol
    Hope everyone is doing well....Mary 70 degrees really we have several months before we see temps like that let alone above 20 or 30 right now.

I liked the idea about putting out or reserved next to a item. I have put the words out next to the ones on my list that I have already promised to people it makes it easier for me.

Fran you are gonna need a vacation after this swap! lol
    Started packing up some seeds today and got my envelopes printed and cut out.

Hope all is well with everyone.
    Have a good night
    ~heather

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

ohhh lakedallasmary...there are LOTS of us that have veggie seeds :) I know of a number of swappers here and me too, that have LOTS of veggie seeds and I have a huge order on its way. I'm sure we'll find plenty on your wants list to send your way :) No worries, you will receive a WONDERFUL package of goodies. Be sure to check out my trade page and see if there is anything I have that you may want. List it and I'll include it with my package of goodies I send...but with YOUR name on them :)....I can't wait for the few swaps that are closing now so I can update my list :)

Fran these swaps are so much fun! And I have to say it is falling right into place....timing is perfect and just a great all around swap! Thanks for hosting it :)

15 years ago

Oh, LakeDallasMary, you poor thing. I understand as I'm from an even drier and harsh area, west texas... the heat here in the desert sure will make the plants want shade. I don't think it's you being a bad gardener so much as your plants probably need some shade. Full sun, does not mean full sun in Texas, girl. LOL I am going to get some shade cloth for my garden and plant things that will shade my crops that can take the heat. It's just trial and error, isn't it? Ugggh

Also, you might want to start things in February inside if at all possible, or outside with the ability to protect/cover them in case of a freeze. This is what I'm doing based on recommendations made to me by other southern farmers. If you want to chat more on this, just email me, okay?

Blessings,
    Angela

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary, I wasn't bored reading you post at all. I like to hear about others gardens and how they do and how they handle what their conditions are for their areas.
    Last year was rough on us too our area has been hard hit with drought for many years straight now. It isn't easy, I collected rain water when I could last year to water what I could, and then watered everything else with metered water when it was permitted when the rain water rain out.
    Gardening has been rough for many these last few years...and what the drought didn't get the darn bugs did...I am just hoping for us this weather we are having is enough to kill off some of the bugs!
    Also, don't worry about how many packs you can send in, you can only send what you can send. AS long as you are participating that is what counts!

Ok, about to get the updates posted...

I just want ya'll to know I am having fun hosting this one! I don't mind the questions, I am willing to do what I can to help anyone anyway I can too.

• conniesc
    15 years ago

does anyone have these seeds?

Barbarea, variegated
    Heliopsis Variegated
    Heliopsis Variegated
    Asarina 'Mystic Rose'
    Cinnamon Vine
    Ornamental Pepper 'Fish'

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Good Morning All!

I've finished packing up seeds for all the people that aren't involve in other swaps...whoo hooo.

On the down side, I'm reading that I should ask if someone wants my gift of something that I may only have 5 seeds to share with them. I have a few peoples wants that I ordered and only got 10 seeds in the package or I got more and a lot of people want them.

For example, I have irisine-purple lady for Kristi, This was advertised on Parks website as having 100 seeds. I got the package and it was clearly labeled as 10 seeds. I called,they sent another package, again 10 seeds! I called again and they tell me oops misprint and pretty much, go *&^% in your hat! Thanks for your business.

I bought a large short planter for these and need 10 seeds but shared with another gwber the first time around. I had planned on sending Kristi 5 seeds to get her started.

I have a few peoples wants and they only have a few seeds, some flowers, some veggies. I have other packets that have 30 or 40 seeds. I really don't want to have to go through and pull them out because there isn't a fair trade amount. I thought I was gifting seeds.

If I send seeds in for anyone and there isn't at least 10 seeds, please know that I'm sharing from my personal stash because I think it's better to have a little than none at all an I sent as many as I could. After all, these are gifted seeds from one gardener to another.

I would be happy to receive 5 or 10 seeds of one of my wants. I can grow them out and gather seeds for more next year.

I'm sorry if this posting comes off as nasty, it's not meant to be that way!!I find that's the only problem with computer conversations.

I just want to let people involved in the swap that only get a few seeds of something from me to know that I shared what I could to get you started.

Have a great day
    Lisa

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Good morning Fran and all, hope all is well or at least better. Didn't know Kathy-Jaleeisa, wasn't well, so sorry, will keep you in prayers, get well soon.
    Fran, I understand almost all said among you and Angela, smile, was getting confused for a while and had to laugh, it'll get to me eventually, you are both helpful, thank you.
    If you don't have seeds to share all you need to do is say it, I for one truly understand, know about weakness in saying No to sharing but we must say no sometimes. Lately, I haven't asked nor been asked for seeds in emails, guess I've no special seeds, if I did I'd not list them, just my practice. Marking Reserved is a good idea, but someone may try harder to get to those, lol
    Mary, TX---sorry about your garden,you too Fran and everyone who's gardens have been damaged, mine were during Katrina-dried up. It's a sorry weather! My daughter in Ft Worth has been having water restrictions and all, she wouldn't accept any more plants from me when visiting ,for the past 2 years, plants either dry up or freeze!

We all need giant greenhouses and raised beds!! :)
    Wish and hope one day!

Planting fast growing trees is a good idea, such as Senna, Golden Rain tree, Mimosa...Coreopsis,coneflowers, cornflowers, (wildflowers) and Cosmos are great idea. I used to grow nice bell peppers among the grass in the garden, not in the summer of course.

Okra does the best, so tough, it's good baked or fried crisp, pickled , stewed etc. Field Peas, Asparagus (Yard long Beans) too...you know it by now, have to be adjusting to this dumb weather extremes and it's challenging!
    Winter veges that are tough and must for me are Collards and Kale, made some of each last night with boiled potatoes, mashed, seasoned with olive oil, grilled chicken patties and simple gravy--wheat flour, healthy chicken broth and seasoning, heated up, all you need.

Angela, good ideas, putting a light canvas overhead will help, if you secure it good, since the storms can be strong. Planting seeds in February is what I ought to do too, at least some of them. Looking forward to receiving my seeds and talking with you all.

Good day to you,
    GB
    Bea

• blue_ivy
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. Well, I think it is quick. I am wondering what the average number of seed packets from one person to another within the trade is. For example, If one person is preparing seeds to send to about 45 other people, is the aim that the one person tries to find one or two packets of seeds to send to each other person? This is the assumption I am operating under.

OR, is it less equal in distribution? For example, let's try a completely hypothetical situation. Let's say I am preparing seeds today for Fran, Kathy, and Tracy. Let's say I found that I had absolutely nothing on Fran's want list, nothing even close. Let's say I had five things on Kathy's want list, and let's pretend I had almost everything on Tracy's want list. Ideally, what should I do? Should I try to mail-order something to send to Fran? Should I ideally send Kathy all five things, or retain a couple, knowing someone else I prepare for tomorrow may want some? Should I send Tracy as much as I can, or does that seem unfair since I will only be sending Fran one item, if any at all?

To sum up, should I aim to send everyone one or two things? Are people in general BUYING seeds to share with others, when they don't have any that are on a want list? Or are people just sending what they have and hoping others can fulfill more difficult want lists?

Sorry to be fuzzy about what seems like the simplest thing! : ) I just finished reading a bunch of Coptic (late ancient form of Egyptian language). Maybe I can blame my lack of understanding on that! : )

Thanks for any guidance!

(By the way, Heather, I thought this was hilarious:
    "I am so excited about this now my husband not so much I had to explain that I NEEDED more seeds and that I do not have a problem. I have tried to tell him that the people in this swap are way worse at seed collecting than I am. lol That didn't get me real far. Now I play in all the seeds quietly out of sight!! haha"
    I can totally relate to this. I learned to "play quietly out of sight" too, and have to be careful wipe any tell-tale glee from my face before I am discovered and (correctly) accused. It can be hard to do!)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

my step daughter asks me if I've had my "seed fix" today...I guess the glee must be obvious.."L"

• blue_ivy
    15 years ago

Okay, so after going through most lists a little more carefully, let me amend my question. I am planning to send 3-6 types of seeds to each person, with several exceptions.

One group of exceptions: People who have short lists and I have nothing they want, sadly. I guess I will buy one or two items from their lists, or contact them to come up with something different I can send.

Another group of exceptions: People who want rare/ special/ expensive items may receive only 1-2 things from me.

Does this seem fair? What is everyone else doing?

Thanks!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, let me say again...Someone asked me IF less then 10 seeds are considered a trade, NO it is NOT, BUT in a swap like this if you can GIFT someone special seeds, and less then 10 is all you can send then this is FINE!
    My dear friend here and she know who she is was sweet enough to send me 3 seeds of Snail Vine, I WAS HAPPY TO GET THEM, I am not saying not too, this is not considered a TRADE swap this is a GIFTING swap.
    IF you are in a swap where your seeds COUNT, like say you see a post for: Marching Spring In and you can only send in 25 packs of seeds, IF you send in a pack less then 10 in one of these swaps, you are gonna get counted USUALLY (depends on the host/hostess) with a 1/2 pack. OK?

I was explaining this ONY BECAUSE I WAS ASKED and I thought it would be helpful to ALL THE NEWEST MEMBERS TO GW WHO HAVE SIGNED UP HERE....OK?

NOW, does everyone understand? Again, in a swap like this less then 10 seeds are fine as a GIFTED amount, but in a trade/equal amount swap it is NOT and IF you are going to trade those amounts OR send them in PLEASE ASK the person they are intended for if they mind getting that amount OR ask the host or hostess FIRST.

Am I clearer this time, sorry I confused anyone....

So again, GIFTING HERE IS FINE, IN ANOTHER SWAP IT MAY NOT BE

I haven't read past Lisa's post yet I wanted to make this clear before I read on so now I will continue once I post this.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, again this is a share what you can deal if you don't have something for someone, someone more then likely will fill in your gap.

If you have nothing for someone then you don't.

ALSO I have asked EVERYONE to make a list who has nothing on it...NO ONE CAN SEND TO YOU IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING ON YOUR LIST.....
    PLEASE PUT UP A LIST...

Again, let me say THIS...and I am talking about THIS SWAP HERE ONLY AT THIS MOMENT.... THIS is a GIFTING swap you share what YOU can and what YOU feel comfortable sharing, ok?
    If you can only share 5 seeds of something then please feel free to gift it to someone of your chosening. In this swap.

I truly am sorry I confused anyone....I should have been more clear here.

WHATEVER you can share with us in this was will be a blessing and welcomed in any amount because we are glad you though enough about us to share!

NO ONE is expected to have something on EVERYONE'S LIST BUT IF YOU DO TERRIFIC, AND IF YOU CHOOSE TO SHARE WHAT YOU HAVE WITH EVERYONE, EVEN BETTER....THANK YOU! IT WILL BE APPRECIATED...even if it is 5 seeds!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HERE is the NEW post...Please make sure you have read the important stuff here....

• lakedallasmary
    15 years ago

I personally don't think buying seeds for someone else is necessary. Nor is it expected. If you want to, I guess that is fine.

I look through other's lists and some are getting 3 things and others are not getting any (from me). But as I see it, others that have things that I don't have, and will have some for them (the person I din't have any for) and perhaps none for someone else.

If someone has a short want list they might not get much of anything since we can't fill their wants if they don't want anything. The host will have to fill in the gaps for them with extras seeds, and hope there is something in there that might please this person.

If the person with a short list is not sure what they want, perhaps they can be vague and say I like blue flowers that like the shade. Or any flowers, I am new and I have no clue what will grow here yet. Then maybe someone can toss in something that fits that requirement.

Personally, I am tossing my extra veggie seeds in the extras baggie. So, if someone that asks for any veggie or any tomato, Fran can fill in with my extra veggies in a fair way.

I have no way of knowing if one person needs more seeds and another has an overflowing amount already.

But really, I think this should be fun, and as Fran said it is not a one for one thing, just share what you have, and it will all be ok. (really)

For example: I once participated in the give to a newbie thing as a newbie gardener. I really did not receive much of anything I could use (mostly flowers). But is was still fun. I kept what I could use and SASE'ed what I did not need. So the seeds found nice homes, even if not mine. All is good. Surprises are fun. Giving is good for the heart, and sole.

I hope my interpretation of this Swap is not not way off.

Yes I should try starting seeds inside in early spring. I found out out that natural beginnings seeds starter mix is a very good all natural mix from gardens alive. My rutabagas did very well in this mix.

I had always thought of starting seeds inside as a northern thing to do. But I guess it is not. We are trying to beat heat and the northerners are trying to beat the frost.

I have some soup peas in damp paper towels now to try to give them a early go for it this spring. Last spring direct sowed peas took 3 weeks to come up. So by the time they matured, it was too hot. I'm learning.

My garden is on the side of the house were veggies get shade after 2 pm. First year I made the mistake of thinking full sun, I will plant on west of the house. UG. Learned that, that is too much sun for Texas!

So this year all will hopefully be better due to:

water ditches

starting some things under pop bottle cloches

Sprouting peas inside

living mulch verses dead mulch

cover crops over winter

reorienting garden beds so sorghum and sunflowers can help shade off the rest of the garden.

avoiding overly thirsty crops

smaller tomato varieties

trying beany things along ground

But anyway, time to go to the dentist.

I have to realize I am not the only one having garden woes. It is just that since I am a new gardener, all years have been extreme weather years. I have nothing to compare it to.

Hope every has some fun with this SWAP.

Mary