Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

NEW: 2014 theme garden swap

Michelle Reynolds
10 years ago

Hello
I dont remember when this swap started but several of us have hosted it before, I will do my best with it this year.

#1 post a list of up to 5 theme gardens you have or want to have. ex: patriotic, cottage, verigated, zoo garden and so on.

#2 please mark seeds for the player they go to.

#3 send stamps or $ to cover return shipping.

#4 please inclose your screen name, full name and address in your envie.

#5 if you want DC# please let me know and include $ for it.

#6 please no pre paid postage stickers some times they will not accept them.

#7 have fun with this one

sent by Feb 10th

well I think thats all

players
============================================
#1 micyrey/michelle
- humming bird garden( red flowers/flowers hummers like)
- sunny side up ( sunflowers, yellow and orange flowers)
- caterpillar bar ( anything butterfly caterpillars like, have common milkweed, any others welcome )
- herbs galore ( any herbs)
# 2 poisondartfrog/alana

1. Hib, Hib, Hooray! Hibiscus and their relatives (family Malvaceae) including Alcea, Abutilon, Sida, Sidalcea, Gossypium, Lavatera, Anoda, Malva and a thousand or so other genera.

2. "Oranges poranges, who says there ain't no rhyme for oranges." (Witchiepoo)
Pale apricot/peach through citrus orange through burnt sienna, flowers, fruits, foliage.

3. The Sky is falling! Plants with poultry references in any of their names. (chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pheasants, etc. Also egg words like ova, yolk, etc)

4. Green Acres. Plants with green flowers or foliage that is mottled, variegated, marked or highlighted by various shades of green, or other colors.

5. Miss Lottie's Marigolds. All shapes, colors, forms, species, both annual and perennial Tagetes.

=============================================
# 3 yotetrapper

For all my themes all plants are welcome: veggies, annuals, perennials, etc.

1) The Sunny Southland - Plants historically found in a southern garden. Plants with any words related to the south such as dixie, rebel, southern, confederate, or the names of any of the southern states. Whatever, get creative.

2) Civil War - North or south. Yankee, rebel, generals or presidents names, civil war era plants, again, whatever, not picky.

3) Jack and the beanstalk - any (heirloom only please) pole beans, any plants referencing the name jack

4) Moaning the blues - True Blue flowered plants

5) Snow White - White flowers of any sort for a moonlight garden.

#4 pinkiris/jayeanne

1. "PINK Southern Belle" viewing anything PINK in her gardens... foilage, flowers, fruit, be creative!

2. "Snow White" vs. "Batman"- WHITE and/or BLACK flowers/foliage of any sort...Rather than cast gloom, these plants can add mystery, depth, and sophistication to the garden.

3. Moaning the blues - True Blue flowered plants

4. Green Acres. Plants with green flowers or foliage that is mottled, variegated, marked or highlighted by various shades of green, and or other colors.

5. Civil War - North or south. Yankee, rebel, generals or presidents names, civil war era plants, again, whatever, not picky.

For all my themes everything is welcome: veggies, herbs, annuals, perennials, etc...

#5 roper2008
Hummingbird Haven- Flowers that hummers like.

Bird Buffet- Flowers that birds eat the seed.

Fragrant Delight- Fragrant Flowers

Got Fruit- Fruit seeds

Late Bloomers- Flowers that bloom in the fall.

#6 sandlapperose/jeanne

1. Pretty in Pink (plant with pink flowers, fruit, or even on the leaves)

2, Healthy Eating (plant with a healthy or food related name or any fruit, veggie, or herb)

3. A Walk in the Park (words relating to a park or exercise - like "running" beans)

4. The Wizard of Oz (lion, ruby, slippers, Emerald City, witch, Kansas, etc.)

5. Cafe au Lait (coffee, brown, cream, milk, white, beige)

#7 jayene

1 The Best Medicine - Plants with healing properties; plants with silly names or those that might invoke thoughts of laughter/laughing/happiness

2 Memory Garden - Shades of blue & purple; those whose names include Carolyn (Carol), Charlene, sister, Sis, Sissy, friend; any with feline related names; those with cannabis-like foliage or other 'hippie'-ish plants

3 Dark 'Poison' - Black, brown, purple or other dark fruited tomatoes

4 Pucker Up - Flowers in lemon-yellow (my most favorite color) or that smell of lemons

5 Sniff This - Plants with extremely fragrant flowers or foliage

# 8 beth-B

1)Cutting garden, anything I can cut and tuck into a vase or little basket. This ranges from the shortest little French Marigolds to the tallest Russian Sunflowers. I see this in my mind as a riot of colors, even some I don't generally like.LOL, I bought the cutting garden assortment from Botanical Intrests but I'll try most anything in this one.
2)A Potager, We don't even have a house yet but I want to start this ASAP. I have started rhubarb, asparagus and grape vines from seed already as these are slow starters. Any herbs or small veggies are welcome.What else goes in this one? I love the word, Potager and pictures that I have seen make this seem like perfect garden for me.

#9 jensyen
1. Now We're Cooking- Herbs, Vegetables and Fruit seeds. ex. Basil, beans, tomatoes
2. You're Grounded For Life!- Plants that grow close to the ground. ex. Moss Rose & Creeping Thyme
3. Reseeding Heirline - Heirloom plants that reseed. ex. Snapdragons, Foxgloves Dahlias & Petunias.
4. Sleeping Beauties- Seeds for perennials. They 'go to sleep' and come back in the Spring. ex. Bee Balm & Bleeding Heart
5. Jeepers Creepers - Pretty vines that creep along fences etc. ex. Cardinal Vine & Morning Glory

#10 lovesblooms

No tree, shrub, bulb, or veggie (unless ornamental) seeds please.

1. Simply Splendid--anything with the word "splendens" in its scientific name
2. The New Green--plants with foliage that is anything but plain green (variegated with green is fine)
3. South of the Border--common or Latin names from or associated with countries south of the US, including Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean
4. Hot, Hot, Hot!--common or Latin names with or associated with fire (ex. flame, heat, sparks, blaze, etc., but not sun, stars, or candles)
5. Royal Roots--with common or Latin names associated with royalty (ex. regal, royal, queen, king, prince/princess, crown, cloak/cape, jewels, etc.)

# 11 browneyedsusan

Here are my themes:
Oh Deer! -Deer-resistant perennials or annuals for sun or shade
Red, White and Blue- for a patriotic garden
What’s in a name?- plants with John, Jeremy, Nathan or Rebecca in their names
Buried Treasures- plants that produce bulbs, tubers or rhizomes
Dixie Chicks- plants for the South(east), native or not.

#12 paperfinch
Tea Garden
-Salad Garden
-Herb garden
-Allium Garden

#13 hibiscusfan
1. Green Thumb-green or partially green flowers.

2.Ebony and Ivory- flowers that are black or white or nearly black or white.

3. Pink Pleasures

4. See Them!-Sedums and low growing plants.

5. Red Hat Ladies.

#15 gee-oh-nyc

Just getting in under the wire here...
1) Shady Grove- plants that thrive in the shade
2) Workhorse- long-season flowering plants
3) Basil the Great- different kinds of basil
4) Short n' Sweet- compact flowering plants
5) Best in Show- your personal or family favorite.

This post was edited by micyrey on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 18:13

Comments (113)

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hello
    still plenty of time to send.
    we are getting a major snow storm tomorrow, just had snow/ice event from maximus on sat.
    got seeds from jaynene today.

michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

My seeds are on their way to you!
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Michelle, I know you sent your address but I can't find it. Please send it to me again. Thanks.
    I hope to mail today or tomorrow.

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

My seeds went out in yesterday's mail. Thanks again micyrey for all your hard work.
    I hope you all enjoy the seeds and that they do well for you.
    George

• yotetrapper
    10 years ago

Mine will go into the mail tomorrow. :) Managed to find at least something for everyone on the list.

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

My package is on the way!

• roper2008
    10 years ago

I'll mail mine on Friday.

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Can I get your address Micyrey to send seeds.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello

got beths and jeannes seeds, all sorted.

roper I sent you the address, let me know if you didnt get it.

michelle

• roper2008
    10 years ago

I'll try to mail mine tomorrow. I work on Saturday's.
    See if I can make it to the post office. If not, will
    be able to send it on the deadline 2/10, since I'm
    off on Mondays.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello
    I got 2 squishies today, from yotetrapper and pinkiris.
    I hope everyone can send very soon.
    michelle

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Mailed mine Monday.

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

I plan to send mine out with the mail lady today. I was waiting on the winterswap package, expecting it to come sooner, but I think there was a backlog of mail from Georgia because of the weather. It didn't come till yesterday evening. I was up till 4:30 am packing up seeds last night. Fun--I made it a bit grueling by waiting until the last minute, but it only added to the thrill! That and I'm hoping it's nothing an instant vanilla chai can't fix. Drinking it now, so we'll see.

I hope you all like your seeds! I was able to match something to every category except two without stretching too far (I hope). Course, I didn't have to match my own categories.

Thank you again (and not for the last time), Michelle, for hosting this swap. It's only my third group swap to send seeds in for so far and I really enjoy the creative aspect of this one. Would love to join again next year, just for that, let alone the seeds.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    10 years ago

I sent out my package on the 10th. Thanks for hosting Michelle!

Susan

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello
    I got ropers seeds today.
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello
    I got browneyedsusan's seeds today.
    thanks
    also I have a bunch of common milkweed seeds, picked alot of pods to boost my milkweed patch. they wont count toward your seeds, I just have alot to share.
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    So sorry gee-oh, I thought I posted that your seeds got here. Please forgive me for leaving you worrying. They did make safe and sound.
    Still waiting on paper finch and lovesblooms( sent) . If dint hear from paperfinch today will send an email to find out if they are still in.
    I want to get these back to you ASAP.
    Michelle

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

Whew!... I'm just glad they got to you! The piles of snow outside the post office are waist-high and I got worried that my envelope might have gotten frozen along with all of it, so thanks for allaying my fears, Michelle, and thanks for all your hard work on this.
    Stay warm!

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello
    all seeds are in and all envies are stuffed.
    I will send them tomorrow and post DC#s thursday.
    I'm paying for dc#s for all.
    cant wait for you all to get them.
    thanks for a great swap.
    michelle

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

GREAT NEWS!
    I'm excited to see the goodies and get some seeds started.
    Yeah hooo

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Great excuse to watch for the mail carrier to arrive each day! It's always so much fun to open the package from this swap. Thanks, Michelle.
    Jeanne

• yotetrapper
    10 years ago

Eagerly awaiting seeds, lol. Thanks for hosting again, Michelle. I think I sent something for everyone. Hope everyone likes what I found for them. :)

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Can't wait! And thank you for the DC, Michelle--very special!

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Thanks for hosting Michelle. Something to look forward
    to in the mail besides bills!

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Yay! Thanks!

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

Thanks Michelle! ...for being such a great host for this swap.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello
    well they are all on their way, but my mail lady didn't put the names on the numbers so if you don't get yours by the end of next week let me know I will try to check the numbers and find it.
    michelle

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

SEEDS are here already!!!!!
    What fun . How exciting. It's like Christmas.
    I'm sorting and re sorting trying to decide which seeds I need to start early and which ones need to wait. LOL
    I send sincere thanks to all who participated and shared their seeds.
    Michelle, super job and special thanks to you.

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Mine are here, too. Thanks so much everyone. I got some really fantastic seeds.
    Thank you Michelle...job well done!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    10 years ago

Mine arrived today! I am overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and creativity.

Thanks to all of you! Thank you for hosting, Michelle!
    Susan

• browneyedsusan_gw
    10 years ago

Mine arrived today! I am overwhelmed by everyone's generosity and creativity.

Thanks to all of you! Thank you for hosting, Michelle!
    Susan

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    I'm so glade they are getting home. I always worry when I send the little ones out into the world.

:)

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Wow! what a super fun swap! I am still enjoying and going back through what everyone shared, a BIG thank you to everyone and thank you Michelle for hosting!! =)

• roper2008
    10 years ago

I received my seeds today. So many I have never tried. I
    put two varieties outside today for cold stratification. Still
    some to google..So much fun getting the seeds. I've
    been checking the mailbox everyday for this envelope.
    Thank you to Michelle and everyone that participated.

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

My seeds arrived! You should have seen the smile on my face when my husband walked up with the mail and I saw the big envelope! Thanks so much to everyone and especially to Michelle for hosting.

This swap is always filled with creativitiy and alhtough for the most part I don't know who sent what, I had to comment on some of the great selections.

First of all my garden will be very "Pretty in Pink" this year and there are lots of veggies and herbs for my Healthy Eating Garden. Someone included brussel sprouts. I've never planted them and am eager to see if I can get them to grow. What fun!

Walk in the Park included runner beans, walking onions, and johnny jumps up. Perfect!

Cafe au Lait included 'Nescafe'. Heuchera 'Mocha", and Nicotiana 'Hot Chocolate'. I'll love them.

Great finds for the Wizard of Oz:
    Rudbeckia 'Toto'
    Aunt Ruby's Tomato
    Cucumber 'Muncher' (for Munchkins)
    Melon 'Kansas'
    and Columbie 'Ruby Port' among others.

Again, thank you. I can't even say how much fun this swap is. I will be getting some things ready to plant. Isn't it great to get such a wide assortment of new seeds?

Jeanne

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Yay! I hope more will post what they got for each category, or at least the fun ones. I loved doing this one.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    10 years ago

My seeds arrived and included a wonderful assortment. Thanks Michelle for hosting and to everyone for donating seed!

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

It's hard to say which seeds excited me most. So many great and exciting ones.
    Definately the prettiest ones were the Christmas Limas. Beautiful seeds and I plan to use them in a three sisters plot.
    Several special types of daisy that I have already winter sowed. I am wondering if they will overwinter in my zone 5 Mid West garden. Anyone know?
    Michelle I'm excited by the ironweed too. Hope to get several started this week. Love that purple color.Lots of herbs for the potager and I plan to have at least a few of each. JAck says I'll never live long enough to plant/grow all these seeds. Boy is he in for a surprize ;-)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

Received my seeds today. What an assortment! Thank you all for being so generous and Michelle for being such a good host. I hope everyone has great success with their gardens this year. Jen

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

My seeds were waiting for me when I got home. Thanks so much to everyone for your creativity, and generosity... especially Michelle for hosting. Amazing.
    Good sprouts to you all

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

My seeds came yesterday, but I have not had time to look at them. I'll post later with the high points.
    Thanks MIchelle, for another successful swap.

Finally had a chance to open my envelope. Everyone sent great seeds and I will be sowing a lot of them this season.

The most creative referenced the poultry and egg garden, including several plumes, Turkey Craw pole beans, a couple of feathers and one Cranesbill, not to mention a couple of foxes in the hen house (Foxgloves). I am always surprised and delighted by some of the associations people make in this swap.
    Other themes got nice seeds too and poor Miss Lottie could not help but be encouraged by all the different kinds of Marigold.
    Thanks again! Alana

This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 19:09

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

I got my seeds last night and was able to spend this morning going through them. It really has exceeded my expectations and become my absolute favorite swap so far this year--my first for group swaps--and I thank you all for that, and especially the very sweet and thoughtful Michelle, our host.

I suppose I asked for plenty of Mexican hats and zinnias, but although I got them, they were part of an incredible assortment. Jewels, gems, kings and queens, and splendid specimens were all just what I wanted--many I'd never even heard of I'll be scrounging a place or a pot for this year!

Thanks again, all.

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Just a note to those who got my hosta seeds. They did not start to germinate for me for close to a month. So, don't give up. Seemed like they were faster the last time and I was getting impatient.
    Three seeds sprouted on Fri and one more today. I can see difference in color but, so far that is all I can tell. Exciting!
    I read that they seem to sprout more quickly later in the spring so maybe you won't have such a long wait.
    bb

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Beth i was wondering about the hosta seeds they do seem to take awhile to germinate, is there a special way or something particular you do with getting yours to germinate?

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!
    Just a message to remind everyone to drop by the rate and review forum and give micyrey a great review for this swap!
    I corrected the link (I hope) and here it is below:
    Thanks again to everyone who played. I'm particularly impressed by the different kinds of basil everyone sent, and it's always great to see what your "best in show" turns out to be. I will think of you all as they grow and bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: micyrey's Rate and Review page

This post was edited by gee_oh_nyc on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 22:57

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

I received Holly hock seeds from several folks in this swap so I don't know specificly who to thank. This cute bloom was a fun surprise as I did not expect any to bloom before next year. Thanks again to all who shared in this great swap and to our hostess Michelle

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Pretty!

• KatsPlants
    9 years ago

I'm trying to find the 2014 Central Ohio Plant Swap for Fall info. I had written down everything for the 2013 and pray I haven't missed this years. I already have my plants divided, over 100 of them, lol. Thanks so much, Katina

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

KatsPlants- Here is the Fall date for the Central Ohio Fall Garden Swap-Sept. 27th
    Check out their post at the Return to the Get-Togethers Forum
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gather/msg0512042427877.html?9

This post was edited by jensyen on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 12:53

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

Just a note that this swap ended early in 2014. If you are interested in the Theme Garden Seed Swap for Fall 2014 please see the other heading.