Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

UPDATE: Birthday Seed Extravaganza January #2

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

Since Kym can't post this at the moment and we only need one more to fill the other one I thought I would go ahead and start this thread just in case someone wanted to post something when the other one fills up.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANUARY BIRTHDAY FOLKS

Comments (150)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I want to wish EVERYONE who has a birthday this month, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I feel so badly that I'm not posting as often as I normally would on our birthday thread. I got a little "swap fever" and started to freak that I didn't have enough veggies for my plantings this year, so I way over joined other swaps. I will be back full force in February when I've had a chance to catch up some. I am trying to read the posts when I get a chance so I do know what all has been going on. It's been a GREAT birthday month for you all!

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Lysa!!!!!

• aphroditelaughs
    15 years ago

Happy birthday to everyone this month. I am with you, Angela. I have to get stuff back in order. I feel kind of discombobulated!

Ellie

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Lysa, I hope you had a wonderful day !!!

I will post a thread this week for the Feb bdays , so please be working on your want lists !!

Kathy, I hope you are feeling better !

I think there was a lot of people that jumped in head first to all the swaps, I know i cant wait to see what i get from the seed swap !!

I started my wintersowing today, with Sues help...30 containers done, I am just sooo excited !!

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Have a Happy Birthday Patsy!

Cindy : )

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY dirtduchess, and many more!!!

:) Fran

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Hey Patsy!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Mark

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PATSY! I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Melinda

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Pasty!!!
    Dorothy
    {{gwi:452196}}

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

I received another card over the weekend.

Thank you Pasty (dirtdutchess) for the beautiful card.
    Is that one of your flowers? Just beautiful!
    Thank you very much for the Teddy Bear Sunflowers Seeds.
    Your a mind reader, have been thinking about adding some to my want list! LOL
    These will be a great start.
    Thanks again,
    Dorothy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday to our resident Dirtduchess! Hope it's a wonderful day for you Patsy!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Patsy !! Wishing you a wonderful day !!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

WOW!! those are some nice seeds!! the kids are helping me with the sending out of seeds, and we made up the cards, print artist, that was fun!! and we are currently filling them and sending, man, its been busy, after the holidays, i've been having a hard time getting back on track, has anyone else? well, to tell you the truth i never really have been on track, but ya know what i mean!! **grin** LOL dan, i'd love to know how you put the pics in that link, that is awesome!! i see people doing that all sthe time, but i never am able to do that. today, tabor got a pellet gun for his birthday. and for christmas he got an airsoft pistol. so now he's all happy!! he can now shoot at squirrels that enter his garden, or the birds that try to pick off his pecans. LOL thanks for the compliment on my website, i honestly thought i'd do terrible at it!! LOL i thought about cutting the bottoms out of some of my 2 ltrs and putting them in place in the garden then planting my seeds in them, then do as you would normally do when winter sowing, just in place. i think i'm going to do a bunch of them that way. then when all is done, i'll just pull the bottle right off, instead of having to deal with the pulling the plant out and all. LOL ~Medo

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/01-19-09_1227.jpg
    talla's bunnie snow white

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/insect%20%20animals/DSC01805.jpg
    tabors bunnie nibbles cuz she nibbles on everything

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Ok, as you will soon find out, I don't always have things as organized as I think I do! :)

I thanked dirt dutchess the other day for teddy bear sunflowers and should have thanked dimples(I think)...

But, today I did receive a thank you card from dirtdutchess as well. Thank you and what a great card.

Also, thank you Melinda for the cute card and seeds as well. I'm very excited about all of what you sent!

Thank you all and take care.
    Andrea

• medontdo
    15 years ago

for my "want" for my seeds, i seen someone had foxgloves, i thought, man, i'd love them, last year i had some but they never germinated, this year i'm making a bed especially for them type of tall flowers, i'd love tall snapdragons, foxgloves, anything along that lines, i think that would be totally awesome!! or if anyone can find gumbo lily. **big smile** mine is in febuary, (13) wanna hear something funny? weird? cool? awesome? so is my hubs!! he was born 2 yrs earlier and 12 hrs later than me!! LOL **grinn** ~Medo

15 years ago

Medo - In order to post a picture into a MySpace comment or picture caption, you need to actually type in HTML, the "language" of web pages. What you're typing in is the instructions that says "put that picture, here".

It looks like this:

$img src="" />
    color>size>
    (I couldn't get the HTML to show without trying to show a picture, so I had to replace the first "lesser than" symbol with a "dollar sign" symbol to show you the actual code so that you can use it, too. I hope I didn't confuse you.... Just switch the "$" with a "... Once you have this code written back like it should be, just copy and paste this where you're gonna place your pic, then copy and paste your link to the pic between the quotes and you're done. On the GW "preview" screen you should see your pic, if you did it right, then submit it.

Blessings,
    Angela

15 years ago

Ooooooops, it's not just for MySpace comments (I copied and pasted that text from a tutorial). LOL

Blessings,
    Angela

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering what was decided about the pinata? If I missed what we were doing,sorry.

Andrea

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Andrea, I think I heard from almost everyone, and they all want to still do the Pinata...My daughter got very sick over night, and I had to rush her to the dr this morning, so i didnt get to the post Office, Ill write tomorrow with the cost of the box.

• piksi_hk
    15 years ago

Hope you had a terrific birthday, Patsy.

Betsy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For anyone that has PHOTOBUCKET as the picture host in order to do a pic post from them all you have to do is copy and paste the 3rd line under the pic it says: HTML code
    that is all you need.

ISN'T THIS CUTE?

:) Fran

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone! I received several wonderful things in the mail yesterday (gotta love the day after a mail holiday! Shhhhhhh... don't tell DH I said that!) two of which were Birthday cards!!!!

The first was from Patricia (dirtdutchess)who sent me a gorgeous bloom on a card, Patricia, is that one of yours? I'm so envious! and some Teddy Bear Sunflower seeds! Thank you so much!!!

The next is from Holly (riley17) and that little bird perched on top of a sunflower card is so cute! Inside were big, sweet red bell pepper, sweet pepper apple red, and sweet pepper seeds!

And also to mention here is a trade I did with Andrea (appaloosa909) Andrea sent me the sweetest note saying she'd started a new job and some cassia alata seeds I'd been hoping for along with our trade items! :) Thank you Andrea!

LOL, it's like having my birthday for a whole month instead of just on the day! Thank you all so much!!!

Kathy

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Medo,
    I checked out your web page. Wow, what an awesome list of printable seed packet sites. How did you find them all?

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Kym ~ I hope your lil one is doing better now? It is definitely the season for the 'crud'!

Glad to see everyone is enjoying their birthday MONTHS! :)

Hugs,
    Wendy

• threas
    15 years ago

To all of you celebrating January birthdays!

Theresa

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Hey Kym,

Since everyone else is doing the pinata, I will too.

Andrea

• medontdo
    15 years ago

thank you, i knew how to do the pic on here, but i didn't want to over load ya'll with pics, well, ya'll r infor it, **grinn**
    thanks Cindy!! well, for the last couple of years i've been looking and stuff, so i just copied them down out of my "favorites" LOL just think, i had a TON more!! **smile** but they were kinda useless, LOL i liked these ones :') then before my laptop hardrive crashed i had some in my printartist and they were cool, but i didn't copy them right, so they are the tiny ones in there. Boo Hoo, LOL
    i'll get to them sometime. again, but the good news is that i've actually got the darned cards done, the kids FINALLY helped me, i'm one of those people that apparently if i have a secret that i am keeping to protect someone, in this case hubs, then i needed to tell him, cuz my whole stuff was falling apart. seriously. LOL now i got all my seeds done, and now i can get back to my house work, schooling and such!! LOL i totally filled up a walmart black bag!! LOL hubs is gonna freak!! between trades, the two swaps, and one santa swap, i totally forgot about, i think cuz i kept looking for the package and she's my very good friend and you know how you kinda put your great friends on the back burner sometimes, because you know you can, its wierd!! now i feel so bad, but my heart allows me to be me and stuff her box full of seeds, bulbs and hugs!! **great big smile** i know she likes canna's like me!! LOL these will be surprises because i don't know what kind they are!! LOL ~Medo

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Patsy,
    I just want to so thank you so much for the lovely thank you picture you sent me. What a sweet lady. Such pretty blue flowers,I'm sure they are from your garden. I'm not familiar with alot of plants yet... can you tell me what they are?

Medo,
    I plan on using those seed packet printouts, so I saved your list on my favorites. You sure sound like a busy lady! Thanks again. : )

Kym,
    Sure hope your daughter is okay and that she is able to take it easy for awhile.

So good to hear the rain coming down tonight, I love the rain... we need it so desperately here in California. It will be tough growing the garden I have planned for 2009 if we go onto water rationing. Will have to figure out a way to water through drip irrigation. I'll do everything I can to keep my garden growing and gorgeous! Funny I have this image of a mother hen defending her chicks...lol, except it will be(me)protecting and babying my plants!

Take care Everyone,

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Good Morning All1

I wanted to come on and post a few thank you's.

I got a funny card loaded with seeds from Dan, some new in packets. Thanks Dan!

i got another from Dimples with joe pye and datura, thank you Dorothy!

and another from I lovefarac with 5 pqackets of seeds.

I hope tp post what was in the cards when I'm feeling better, the arthritis in my neck is acting up and the nerves are on fire again today.

Thank you all for the lovely cards and seeds!!

Lisa

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for thinking of my daughter, she is doing much better, was just a few rough days, and now I am trying to catch up on some rest myself. 3 nights of no sleep will wipe ya right out.

It sure sounds like all the Birthday Buddies have made out this Month !! I hope you ALL feel as special as you ARE !!

Hugs,

Kym

15 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that Kym. Please, go get rested up... I can only imagine how tiring that was....

Blessings,
    Angela

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Ok, Hope everyone has a great weekend. I rec'd 2 cards yesterday from:

LisaM627_OH_Z6. Thank you so much. Where did you get these cards? They are great. Love the tomatoes.

Also a beautiful card with a poppy on it. Which, ironically is the kind I grew last year. Thank you so much for the tomato and melon seeds Heather,you diva you!

You guys have been great.

Andrea

• dirtduchess
    15 years ago

Still getting beautiful cards and seeds. Thank you to all those that have sent Birthday greetings over GardenWeb.

Here are my latest jewels.

plant-one-on-me..chives, mixed bush beans, Aunt Molly's ground cherry (never heard of that one, looked it up and can't wait to harvest this fruit.) tree pumpkin, sweet basil, scarlett runner beans and leeks.

Dan-the-mailman..purple monarda (got to look that one up also) purple majesty millet, chocolate foxglove, wild datura.

Ilovefarac...pink oleander, yellow fig leaf hollyhock, african daisy, dwarf jewel mix nasturtium, jewel mixed white with yellow hollyhocks.

ilndawzica/ca..I hope I read your name correctly. purple angel trumpet,
    blue morning glory, sweet basil, and lovely butterfly stickers.

divahethr..flying saucer morning glory and thyme.

Thank you so much for all of you remembering me. This is so much fun. Cindy, I know what you are talking about a drought. We have had less than 1 inch of rain in our area since Dec 1st. I do a lot of watering in the summer.Lucky we have our own water well. It is hot and dry in z7 in Texas. I am like you in babying my gardens. I refuse to let one of plants die.

Thanks again. Get ready February birthdays. You are going to love all the attention you are about to receive.

Patsy
    Dirtduchess

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

A special thank you to Heather(divthethr)
    Thank you for the nice card and seeds
    Money Plant and Dragonfruit!

I also received a note from Andera (appaloosa909)

Thank you both,
    Dorothy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

I have two more thank yous to post tonight.

Divahether,

Thank you for the spinach seeds, they'll make for a tasty summer salad.

Playintheyard, Yes! we are almost neighbors.
    Thank you so much for the seeds. Annette sent mg milky way,mixed zinnias,profussion mix and one ofmy most wanted zinnia whirligig.

Lisa

I sent two more January b-day cards out yesterday, check those mailboxes!

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I received another birthday card yesterday! This was from Heather (divahethr), a beautiful red poppy? on the fromt of the card, a sweet birthday wish inside and Jewels of Opar!, Beautyberry!,and spearmint! Thank you so much Heather! I really wanted those!!

Kathy

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Hey All you January Birthday Buddies, the month isnt over, keep mailboxing !!!

I am working on the pinata boxes, I am going to be mailing out two of them. I shall do an update tomorrow on them, will be going to the post office.

Also, I have been busy working on some games...so even if ya dont see me, I am as busy as a bee...

Have a wonderful Monday !

15 years ago

dirtduchess - What part of Texas are you from? I'm in the West Texas desert of Midland.

Kym - Yes, I have missed you as it does seem you've been very busy. I'm about to be in the same position! I had planned on February wrapping up seed trading and for starting all my plants indoors... Oh, well... I'll be a little later than I thought!

Blessings,
    Angela

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Angela,
    I hear you! I had thought by now I would have over half of my winter sowing finished. I'm still working on finding 40 more containers. I'm thinking I won't be finished planting everything till the first week of Feb. We've been getting alot of rain here in North. CA (YES!), so I'll be doing alot of planting inside.
    What kind of weather are you getting right now?

Saying hi to Everyone,

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I belatedly received another Birthday card yesterday! I say belatedly, not because it was late for my birthday, but because the new substitute mail carrier put it in the box of a family on the next street over! Wonder what else of mine they've gotten!! LOL!

This was from Rhonda(rbrady)a wonderful, festive card with a lovely birthday wish and Linaria Morroccana!!, Tovarea "Painter's Palette" and Heuchera "Purple Palace" all BIG wants of mine!! Thank you so much Rhonda!!!

Kathy

• dirtduchess
    15 years ago

Angelady,
    I live 10 miles south of Decatur, and 35 miles northwest of Fort Worth on a knob of clay dirt. I have lots of gardens dug down 2 ft and good dirt added in to make raised gardens.
    Neither rain, (it never rains here)gusting winds, fire ants or scorching heat can deter me from playing in my dirt.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

angela, you just have a heart of gold!! although, i think scorching heat could and definatly would keep me out of my garden!! it definatly has!! but mostly because with our ks heat come alot of humidity!! which i cannot stand!! i do not see how some people come to ks and just love it!! ks is nice and all but that humidity is awefull!! i have been talking to one of my good gw friends and she was telling me how things are in nc and i'm like, ohhhhh i gotta move there!! which reminds me, i think i mixed up my people with the last post, LOL ahhhh. that's ok, i'm sure i'm not the first one!! **big smile** LOL Hugs ~Medo

15 years ago

Cindy - It's been around 80'ish temperature wise, but tomorrow the high is suppose to be 35! If that ain't a crazy change, I don't know what is! We have been wearing much more summer-like clothes than winter lately.

On finding more containers, to my surprise a "wanted" posting on FreeCycle brought me all I could handle of 3 liter soda pop bottles. You might try that...

Kathy - Oh, NO!! I sure hope that doesn't keep happening. At least you got your mail back! I know sometimes when it's delivered to the wrong place, you don't ever get it... yikes...

dirtduchess - Yep, that sounds just like where I live! Although, I do have to say that the sweltering weather will get to me. I do most of my gardening late evening... I know that's weird, but that's all I can hang with except for short bursts out and right back in during the day. LOL

Medo - Yah, we all get mixed up sometimes, no big deal. And, at least we don't get humidity.... It's way too dry for that... I think a little humidity wouldn't hurt, but I sure wouldn't like a whole lot of it.

Blessings,
    Angela

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one busy busy, I feel like I cant keep up BUT that is cause I just lost a week with K being sick...AND my computer is still down, so this month has been LOOONNG.....not to mention I have had 6 Dr apts, which ALWAYS end up taking most of the day.

I have wintersown 70 containers, and I plan on working on them again tomorrow. I have sat here for days working on packing seeds, and fixing my trade page. I have come to the conclusion there is NO easy way to keep track of haves and wants....LOL

I have also been working on a game, and the two pinata boxes, answering emails, and messages....going to basketball games for my son, shopping for the kids to go to a dance, (which was last Friday night, and went well) shopping for seeds, YES, I bought seeds....and sooo much more...life is too busy..tee hee

Ok, I was soo excited to see that there is a MUCH better selection of seeds out this season, anyone else agree ?? Last year here, they were mostly commons...and Burpee has a lot of their newer seeds here in the stores.

Sooo, would ya like to hear what I found ?? Ok, Ill tell ya...Stevia ( SO excited about this one, now if I can get it to grow), cucumber lemon, BES vine spanish eyes, sunflower hybrid, Amaranthus Chestnut Plumes, Casper Pumpkin, Basil Siam Queen ( licorice scented), Calendula sunshades mix, and Tomato Yellow Pear.

Soo, what cha think ?? Have you found any "gotta have " seeds on the racks ??

Angie, I moved away from the south because of those severe HOT, cant breath or move days...I honestly dont miss it at all. We use to have to let the kids play outside till 9 am, then inside all day....and let them outside after 7 pm.

Well, that is what I have been doing...How is everyone ?? I miss talking with you, and would love to hear how everyone is !!

Hugs

Kym

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

So happy things are going better for you, Kym! I've not gotten to go to the stores the last couple weeks.. pretty much haven't been allowed out of bed :( So I'm looking forward to seeing what's out on the racks this year!

I received another birthday card, this one was from Michele (medontdo)a lovely card that they made and printed! And inside were Szegedi Piros Heirloom Hungarian Paprika Pepper (I'll have to learn more about this and make my own paprika!) and Mixed Lady's Slippers! Yay! I wanted some for my Fairy Garden! Thanks so much, Michele.. to you and Tabor and Talla too! Excellent choices!

HUGS,
    Kathy

• dirtduchess
    15 years ago

Wheee! I got 2 more cards yesterday. Medo sent me a 'cha cha' birthday song on her pretty birthday card. She also sent me bee balm lavender, and blazing star liatris. Thanks so much. I have never grown liatris before. Ishareflowers sent me a beautiful card. Inside was a pretty paper purse with pink and yellow foxglove seeds. Did you make the little purse? Where did you get the template for it? I am really learning a lot about different flowers through Gardenweb's seed swaps.The best thing about the Santa and Birthday swaps(my first swaps) is gaining all these new friends.

15 years ago

Kym - You found Stevia and some other cool things locally!?! That really is amazing! I wouldn't be able to resist, either! The Amaranthus would have been picked up by me as well along with some others. Way to go! I haven't checked this year, but all we usually have are common things. I sure do hope they have some better selections here as well.

Kathy - those sound wonderful! I'm still looking up pretty much everything because I don't know what everything is yet, but I bet those are awesome!

DirtDuchess - Cool, 2 cards in one day! Those cards sound really cool! I agree, the seeds are wonderful, but the best thing about these swaps Kym has hosted for us is the friendship and getting to know our swapping friends better. It ain't half shabby imagining all the big ear to ear grins we're giving to others, either, is it? :-D

Blessings,
    Angela

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Dirtduchess,

I'm glad the card made it to you! I wish I could take credit for the purse seed holders but I can't..I bought them! The are just too darn cute aren't they?

I have a thank you to post as well, Toni(dirtdiggin) sent me an adorable homemade card with purple ruffles basil,flamingo feathers and grape tomatos! Toni, thanks to you I'll save about $10 a week growing my owm grape tomatos instead of buying them.

I have 5 February cards going out on MOnday. Happy Mailboxing to all the February babies!

Lisa

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    it's great to read about the cards everyone's getting! Winter sure does s#@$ this year huh? well spring is coming! Take care.

Annette

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Andrea , HAPPY BIRTHDAY, I hope you had a special day !!!

Ok, please post on the FEB thread !!