Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

'Spring garden' quilt squares????

beth_b_kodiak
14 years ago

Are any of you quilters as well as gardeners?

I have been wanting to do a quilt a "spring garden" for years. The idea started off as a table topper but has grown. LOL What else could a gardeners idea do?

Anyway, last night I got the idea of trading blocks like we do with the plants and making the quilt even more like the garden.

Anybody interested? I'd go with either 9 1/2 inch or 12 inch blocks and the only pattern/color requirement would be that it have either green or brown somewhere.

If there is intrest, I'll post specifics and get started.

Please let me know what you think.

BB

Comments (150)

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Faintheart-Good Work! Those wall hanging are beautiful.

Linda-Don't be scared. We all have days when we don't like our work. But don't hide them.

Veeja-Don't worry about some being done and in the mail. Some of us have more ambition than others. I've changed my mind several times. I was going to do a Rose of Sharon applique block because my name is Sharon and I had some seed to send along. But for some reason I just couldn't get started. Now I'm working on a Wack 'n Stack block and finished 3 today. So this must be the one for me at this time.

Robin-Glad to hear you are home and that you have someone to relieve you. I hope your mother does well.

Micyrey-What a nice square. I like that.

Dan-Have you give your round any thought yet? I'm in for another round if it is a go. Also I'll host a 3rd round if anyone is interested.

Beth-I would love to see all the squares that are sent in.

Good Luck to us all. Now back to work.

gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Gmom, I'm going to post my swap more towards the end of this month, but I have been giving it some thought. I'm going to make it a free-for-all, letting everyone pick their own patterns and colors. I like Beth's idea of making it a limit of 12 blocks for anyone to send in, and we'll keep the size a standard 12.5" by 12.5". Go ahead and make plans for round 3, I think we should keep this going! It's a great idea!

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

by the way, I got to hear the grandbaby's heartbeat on MOnday..I must admit, I did tear up..."S"

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

gee Linda, that's just KEWL!!! do you know what it's going to be yet? )?

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

nope, not until 4 months..she's a little over 9 weeks. The baby is about the size of a gummy bear and has fingers and toes.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle, I love the center block you posted. How big is it? That is a really neat idea. I enjoy quilting and have missed all the other quilters from AK. This is just as good...maybe even better.
    Veeja, I have some blocks that are OK and some that are NOT. LOL, I'm enjoying the process and hope you will too. Don't stress over it.
    gmom, i sent some pictures for dee to post. It was very kind of her too offer.
    Dan aren't you at work today? Somebody has to keep the mail moving.
    Linda that is exciting. Please keep us posted.
    I just got a message that my very first great grandchild will arive in the fall. It's exciting but makes me think I'm much too far away. Guess I can start thinking about a baby quilt????
    Dan and Gmom I'm in for your swaps whenever they are though I may not do 12 blocks for each one. Spring is here and things are getting busy.
    BB

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Michelle, we were posting at the same time last night. I love your center block! Will be so fun to see what others in that RR add to it. Isn't it hard to wait and see?

Robin, wishing your Mom continued progress and glad you have family support for a break.

Melissa, I don't know how you do it! You have to be very organized to care for all the lil bunnies and Papa and do all that you do!

DebbyA and Tammy, are you two hidden under fabric swatches?

Gmom, glad you found a block that sparked your creativity. I am going to have to look up wack & stack. Sounds fun!

Linda, I am so excited for you! Would love to have a little one to spoil and send home but son says I have a long wait ahead. lol Enjoy these moments....heartbeat....makes me teary just thinking about it.

Dan, I am stoked for another round! This has been so fun already!!!

Carol, hope you will give it a try. Just pick out a block pattern and give it a whirl. We are all here to answer questions along the way.

Beth, I got one attached file (08) of the blocks in your email. Will post for all to see. They are soooooo pretty!

Sooooooooooo everyone....for a preview from Beth....
    {{gwi:1243381}}

:)))))

Dee

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

all I can say is WOW!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

cool! I like!

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

I am loving the previews! You all did wonderful! I am slow but will get mine in before the 5th I think! I hope mine are as nice as those!
    Very exciting, this is!!
    Melinda

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them! I'm working on mine, slowly. My Mom's house is getting new hardwood floors, so I've been busy taking care of things over there, plus trying to handle everything here.
    I'm so excited about this, I hope we do this often!

Be back later~
    Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I'm behind again!!!! Noting really new but I thought after retirement there was supposed to be so much free time / LOL
    Thanks a bunch Dee for posting the photo.
    The color is disappointung and does NOT do justice to the blocks from Hazlenut Bunny but they are really pretty.
    Yesterday I got two more packages of blocks one from Michelle who sent 7 blocks. The pattern is star flower and the colors are exciting. a bright flower print on green a bright yellow/gold print and a two tone green mini blocks.
    The effect to me is very much like a field of California poppies and it really makes me Think Spring. Soooo bright and cheerful! Love the effect.
    The others were from Dee and they are a combo of rich mellow colors that I just love. The pattern is churn dash 'rosy posy'and the center is a gold blend surrounded by blocks of coppery pink and white flowers with green leaves,triangles of green on green and a cream/tan blend on the outer edge. These colors really "Work"together and set a restful old country garden mood.
    Again, I'm so impressed with the different interpretations and moods you folks have created.
    Just like all of our gardens are individual and unique, so are our blocks. This is such fun.
    Thanks again ladies AND Dan
    OH, and both these gals sent seeds to be swapped too.
    BB

• veeja11
    14 years ago

sorry gotta drop out just can't do this swap justice yet maybe next time hugs carol

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Beth How many are in this swap? I want to send 1 square for each person except me.

Vee Are you dropping out because you don't think you can do this or because something else came up? I don't want to pry, but if you have even one square done that will be fine.

I have 7 blocks done and one I did 4 times. Yesterday was not my day to work on the blocks. Something must be cut wrong size.

gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I have a question for everyone. Since we will be continuing to swap quilt blocks after this swap is done, should we adopt a name for ourselves so we'll be able to see when we have a new swap to participate it? If so, does anyone have any ideas for a name? I've been thinking about this, and I think we should have a name, I just can't think of one. The best I've come up with (in my own humble opinion) is the Quilting Bee.
    I'd also like to keep our swaps open to new members, being able to come and go as we please. Beth has given us a great beginning by establishing a few rules, but not too many, and I'd like to keep it that way.
    What do the rest of you think?

Peace.
    -Dan

p.s. You can look for the new swap to be posted either next Saturday or Sunday.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

How about "Gardening Friends Quilters"? or "Gardening Quilting Friends"? ..just my input.."making tea and scones"

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

oh..oh..how about "Square Foot Quilters"?..okay, I'm going back to my corner now...LOL!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

bump

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I was that thinking that maybe with this starting out as a Spring Garden Quilt we could be the Four Season Quilters. However, any name that is selected will be fine with me.
    Jeanne

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Beth sent more block previews to share! :) The first are from Dan and the next is Beth's with the ribbon block from AKMO on the left (middle block). I think they are all gorgeous and would love to have any of them!!!

{{gwi:1243383}}{{gwi:1243385}}

Great names all! Any of them would be wonderful.

back to work...
    Dee

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

hmmm, I like Square Foot Quilters and Four Season Quilters. Anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

Dee, thanks for posting those pictures!

Now, who did that ribbon block, and where can I get the pattern?

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan I like both of those names.
    Waiting to see what Melissa comes up with. She is very creative but so are Laura and Heide.
    Also hopeing that Melissa is feeling some more energy and hope she is feeling better.
    Dee thanks again for posting those photos.
    Blocks arrived from Jeanne. There are two and I love both.
    One has Daffodils(paper pinwheels pattern)and looks totally springy and bright. The other is w o w and a bright green-blue-orange design. That pattern is called My favorite quilt.
    Both available at quilt cache.
    The one from AKMO that looks like ribbon is called braid and is also on the quilt cache site.
    Today I did some more Log Cabins( probably my fave pattern) and a new one called Red cross. Very Easy and colorful.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I'm still working on my 9 square blocks. I've decided to do a few extra and see which ones look the best and send those. The ones that are sent in are awesome!..

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I'm glad you like the blocks that I sent, Beth. Wish I could have made more, but just too much going on right now. I will trade again and maybe if I do 2 blocks for each swap, I will eventually have enough to put them together --- or there is always the option of a table runner!
    Okay, I want to ask what a block name is...photos posted by faintheart on 2/22 --- what is the block that is all the way on the right in the foreground? It looks like it has big puffy flowers on it with a black background. So, if someone knows, pass the name along. I would like to try to make it some time.
    We have been having very Spring-like weather so I will be busy in the garden for quite awhile. Lots to do out there.
    Have a good day, everyone!
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne, that block is called Magic Cross. Actually the pattern is the same as Austin but the corner blocks in MC are half squares , so two colors where Austin is all one color. Both are pretty easy.
    BB

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

How about the GREEN THUMBED QUILTERS?
    Or SOIL, SEEDS & STITCHES?

All the blocks look great! I am excited....as many quilts as I've made, I've NEVER made myself one! So I'm planning on making a lap quilt with these blocks. It'll have more meaning with blocks from ya'll. I know I'll smile every time I cuddle on the couch with it.
    Hopefully, I can get it finished before the baby gets here! :o)

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Hmmm, Seeds & Stitches? That might work. Tell you what, I'll go ahead and post the new swap with that name, and we can give it a try. If it sticks, it sticks. If not, we can try another name for ourselves in May.
    So, go ahead and look for part 2 with the name of Seeds & Stitches, beginning tonight. I was going to wait until this coming weekend, but there are a few people who'd like to get in on the 2nd round, so I'll post it, with the rules, tonight.
    Off to post round 2!
    Peace.
    -Dan

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Wow, the blocks are all gorgeous! Not sure if mine are going to be as nice! I haven't sewn in a while and having problems with the tension on sewing maching. Think it is worked out. Been working on them. Not much time-too much on facebook when not at work. But I'll have them by the 5th for you! Sorry running late! I am like everyone else! Love all the names!
    Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melinda, your blocks will be fine. Mine don't look perfect in person, that's for sure. Once they are put together they generally look fine.
    Any that look really bad can turn into pot holders or hot mats. Those take a beating and tend to have fairly short lives anyway.
    I really don't want anyone stressing over this.
    Bunny, I figured you'd come up with a good name. Thanks.
    BB

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Okay, the next swap is posted, for those who were waiting for the next one to participate.
    And, for anyone who doesn't think they're blocks will be okay, well, I agree with Beth. This isn't about stressing out and seeing how good of a sewer you are or aren't. It's about sharing another hobby, and having a good time doing so. There's no way we could all get together in the same room for an old-fashioned quilting bee, but I'd have to say that this is the next best thing! And, like I've told Linda, it's the "quirks" in a quilt block that make it unique and special! LOL!
    Now, having said all that, I looked up that "braid" pattern, and will be doing some more cutting tonight for a quilt it's inspired me to do. I have a bunch of solid color fat quarters I've been trying to decide how to use, and now I'm thinking of using that pattern to form a cross which meets in the middle of the quilt, possibly a star. I'll post pictures after I've worked on it a bit.

Everyone have a good day!

Peace.
    -Dan

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Dan I am seriously impressed. I love the effect but I'm far from ready for that. I struggle with every block to keep it square and fairly well matched
    uhttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/bethb4/quiltingprojects003.jpg?t=1267040969p
    I switched to fire bucket and hope I can do pictures again.
    Lets see.....http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/bethb4/?action=view&current=quiltingprojects003.jpg&newest=1
    Nope not yet. I'm not impressed here but it is progress

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh wowzers I think I got it!!!!
    I'm excited now, lets hope it shows up

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

ohhhh....pretty!

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Wooooohoooooooo Beth!!! You did it! As I said before...really pretty! Can we see the king-size project you're working on too please?

I just love seeing everyone's work...inspires some new ideas.

Ok....gotta get back to the kitchen. Will have some red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for all in a bit. :)

Dee

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Beth, those look amazing! Very nice! I am not really stressing on if my blocks are perfect!! Of course, they aren't! LOL! I am enjoying picking out the patterns and colors! Just stressed when my machine messed up and wishing I had more time to do all the things I would like!
    Actually, I kinda like my blocks! Very colorful and springy!I am really liking the pics of all of the blocks and would love to have any one of them!!
    Gotta go to work, have a great day all! Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More blocks. I have had these for a while but just now getting them posted.

This is a sample of the blocks that Dee (Faintheart) sent.

And these are from Michelle (Mickyrey)
    They are so very different from each other but I sure do like both.
    can you tell I'm enjoying being able to post pictures again????

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

okay, mine are done. I'm going to gather seeds and try for mailing tomorrow depending on the amount of snow we get.

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

More pictures!!! Cool! They make me feel like a little kid being taken through the toy department a month before Christmas, hoping I get that, that, those, and that! LOL!
    Dee's pattern is one my mother uses a lot, and Michelle's are so green! I'm with you Beth, I like them both!
    This is going to be such a great looking quilt in a few months when these are all put together!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

what's everyone up to this weekend? I'm thinking about trying out that Braid pattern tomorrow. Just gotta get through one more workday and then it's the big 1-day weekend for me! Maybe the cats will allow me to sleep in tomorrow...YAYYY!!!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I"m going to go through patterns and see if I can find another one that I can manage.."L". Do a little more crocheting, oh, and of course, housework!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Planned on staying home and starting the blocks for Dan's swap BUT we took a juick trip to a nearby community with a very old timey general store.
    Absolutely adorable, with some stuff even older than than I remember. They have old timey candy, no longer a penny but still fun, sacks of grain and a lot of items that are hand made buy local people. Soap, embroidered towels, knit booties etc.
    I loved it, but, now it's back to the sewing machine.
    BB

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

Hello,I ran home for just a few minutes to catch up and post.My 12 blocks are on their way!!I can`t wait to get some back.My birthday is in March and I`m in a birthday group on the quilting forum and the mnf birthday group here.I`m expecting lots of goodies in March!!!My Mom is getting better but still not ready to be left alone(DH is with her now). Robin

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Well, my blocks are ready also!! I will mail on Monday as post office already closed today! I made 12 in my spare time. Hope you all enjoy! I am quite excited to see the ones I might get back! I will treasure them I am sure! I was going through some of my mother's items this last week and found the box of blocks that we made together from a block of the month club from our favorite quilt shop!! I was so thrilled! Mine were done in tans and blues and pinks but hers are done in beige's and greens! I am going to try and find time sometime to make the quilt out of ita! Brought back many memories of our times sewing together and going to quilt store, etc!
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Hugs to all! Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Robin, wonderful to hear from you and so good to hear that your mom is improving.
    I'll be watching for the mail lady to bring the blocks too.
    Melinda, Your Mom was one great lady. She was my pal for the first year long swap I did. She was always so thoughtful and I always enjoyed her packages.
    I'm sure the blocks and whatever you make with them will be a treasure for many years.
    Here is the list of whose blocks have arrived
    Melissa
    Dan
    Dee
    Michelle
    And, three more are "done" Linda, Robin, and Melinda.
    We are moving right along and should be finishing up right on time.

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Beth,
    My blocks are ready and waiting. We will be in town on Monday because I have to see the eye doc.
    My weekend was spent making 2 quilts for LWR and our tying bee on Thursday. Then cleaning up the snow so we can move around out here.
    Everyone have a great weekend
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

geez..that was quick gmom!

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi my dear Garden web friends the quilt squares are beautiful. looks like you are all havin a great time.

Just stoped in to say hi. It is a beautiful sunny day in central FL.those have been few and far between. i'm hopping this past week was the last of this miserable weather for all of us.

Have a blessed day
    Carmen

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

mine are gone!...WHHOOSHHH!!!!

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Beth the blocks are in the mail. You should have them in a few days.

gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

For those of you playing in the March swap too, I just posted a new guessing game... have fun!