Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: Feb. 2006 - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

sandlapper_rose
18 years ago

Well, here we are in February already. This is a great month with Valentine's Day ... and even Groundhog's Day and President's Day! Anyway, continue posting and remember to send something to your pal and to post when you receive from the person who sends to you.

Comments (124)

• veeja11
    18 years ago

carol is cold! with winchill 17 degrees. I'm freezing. here ya go abc girl just right click and grab this if you like it, I had it made for you. I would have taken you for another year but thought you should get the chance to receive from someone else, variety you know hugs carol

• giverny4me
    18 years ago

Hi Debya!!! Welcome aboard and stay warm ---my husband says it was 7 below (wind chill or what???) there last night! He grew up in Homewood. Susan

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Just a quick note to welcome Debbya!! Also wanted to send well wishes to those whom will be dropping out!! Please do chck in with us from time to time!!
    Very cold temps here in MI! Wind chills below 0! Burr!!
    I keep telling myself think spring think spring!!

• faintheart
    18 years ago

Mellen, thank you! That is the name I remember...maybe I am not so old YET! lol Think I might just start a few seeds in the peat pellet starters Vicki sent to see what I get. :)

I want to hear all about the daylily meeting! Wish I didn't live so far from Marshalltown as they seem to have a great DL Club and hosta too but I don't think I could justify a 4 1/2 drive to DH! :`(

Okay all you pals in southern climes with warmer temps...maybe a lil' dance for us northerners to bring spring a bit faster??? Pleeeeeeeeassssssssseeeee?

~Faint *puttin on her pathetic COLD sad face*

• zoegurl2001
    18 years ago

Just wanted to wish a big welcome to you Debbya! Don't know you yet, but look forward to getting to know you the rest of the year! :)

We've been having pellets of freezing rain falling all morning. I know that around here we need to be thankful for any precip we can get, but does it have to be ice? lol. I couldn't take being couped up in the house any longer, first I was sick, then this weather... so I went out to the greenhouse yesterday, sowed some WS containers, and put them outside. I HAD to do something, even though it was 13 degrees!! I was inside watching a gardening show on t.v., and it made me ache for some gardening, lol.

Well, hope none of you have to go out in this weather. Stay in if you can, and stay warm!

~Summer

• mellen
    18 years ago

Faint, Maybe you can justify a trip October 7th. That is the date of the regional fall meeting to be held in Marshalltown. The cost is $45/person if paid by 9/20/06. It goes from registration from 8-9 and last til 4:30. It includes a panel of hybridizers who will talk and answer questions plus two speakers. One is Kathy Lamb from Loon Song Gardens. The other is Curt Hanson from Critonic Gardens. There is also a daylily auction where club members bring their daylilies and put them up for auction. They bring some VERY nice lilies. Last year most sold in the price range of $5-12. The highest may have been $35. You can pick up some VERY, VERY nice named daylilies for next to nothing. Anyone else within driving distance here??? You are VERY welcome to attend. Let me know, and I can send you a registration sheet. You do not have to me a member of the club to attend.

Yesterday the speaker was Bob Wilson from Knoxville. He showed slides of many of his "spider" lilies that he is hybridizing. Such beauty!!! And so many that he will not be putting out on the market--he is keeping them for what he calls "bridge plants." Plants that he feels are not quite good enough to sell, but he is still using for hybridizing.

I also got a copy of the 2006 Eureka Daylily Reference Guide. Well, that's it for now. Looks like we are going to get a break from the cold. Later, Mellen

• mellen
    18 years ago

Faint and others, Here is the website of Curt Hanson from Crintonic Gardens. He is one of the speakers at the 2006 Region One Daylily Festival that will be held in Marshalltown, IA, on October 7, 2006. Mellen

http://crintonicgardens.com/daylilies/notify_ground_crew.htm

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I will drive over, send me a signup sheet, I am close aren't I? just lmk how many miles it is thankyou

• bojo96
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Finally got 6 hours of sleep and now I'm raring to go. LOL
    To bad our windchills are below 0 so, I'm not really going anywhere!!! No snow and these cold temps have me worried about my roses :(
    Summer, I hope your feeling better and will zip off an email later. Right now I'm trying to catch up on everything I've been to tired to do. I think I need 2 more of me if I want to succeed. LOL That would just about give my DH a heart attack...come home and find 3 of me here. He has enough trouble handling just me. LOL
    Sorry to see we have some leaving, but life is full of unexpected surprises and not always good. I hope everything turns around for all of you and there will be a silver lining to whatever is happening to each of you.
    Deb,

Glad to see you here!!
    Julie

• pastvast
    18 years ago

This past week I received a huge package from my pal. It is a brass colored amillary and is a garden ornament. For those (who like me was) thinking "what's an amillary" it's got 3 rings that are bolted together that can form a sphere. My description gives it no justice. However, it's big and heavy (packaged in a hummer accessory box- how appropriate), so if it goes in the garden, the dogs won't pick it up and play chase with it. In addition to the amillary, there were two packets of seeds with a Valentine's Day theme: love-lies-bleeding and cupid's dart. Gotta love plants that are described as "thriving on neglect"!!

Thanks for your thoughtfulness pal!!

In case daisy_me is getting worried, I just mailed your package on Sat. It should arrive soon. Happy Birthday!

-Stephanie

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

Well, looks like the message I posted Friday night went into cyberspace instead of showing up here. So sorry to acknowledge my box late, cuz I thought I had done it!

Susan, you've been a great pal, I'll miss getting to know you. I hope things are looking up for you and hubby soon! And thank you for the beautiful February box you sent me, which arrived last Wednesday.

I love the dog-themed magnetic notepad, so cute! And my dogs will love the gourmet dog biscuits (roasted turkey with sweet potato) - thanks for thinking of them. I haven't tried the peat pellets before, so now I can. And thanks for the box of chocolates. But my favorite thing is that beautiful mosaic heart-shaped box, did you make it? It will be perfect in my guest room!

Welcome to Debbya, you'll be sending to me. I look forward to getting to know you this year!

Alicia

• faintheart
    18 years ago

SLRose/ Jeanne...thank you for all you do to keep this circle running so smoothly and as fun as it is! I am so proud to be part of such a great group of new friends this year!

~Faint

p.s. Mellen...you have mail..I hope! lol

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Thanks sooo much for making me feel so welcome! I have Alicia's first package ready! I worked on it today, and its ready to go! I know..its too soon to send it. ;) LOL!

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Faint, I think your flower is osteospermum, probably 'vanilla symphony' (aka african daisy) =D

Here is a link that might be useful: 'vanilla symphony' on google

• daisy_me
    18 years ago

Thanks, Stephanie. I'll keep an eye out for a package this week. :-)

OK everyone, I've got a ton of red/yellow Gaillardia seeds....anyone want any? I hate to just throw them out, and I've tried posting them on the seed exchange forum, but I've got waaaayyyy more than I could ever use. If anyone wants any just e-mail me.

• sassyd
    18 years ago

ooooh Faint thats purty! I think I do have some of those seeds.....

Jeanne hope you're feeling ok hun! Just know your girls are thinking of you:)) And yes, thank you so much for keeping us going! Hopefully everything will go much smoother in March! Has everyone received for this month?

I for one will be soooo happy to see February 2006 over with! (Except for Feb. 26th of course!) Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (we have a birthday girl this month!)
    **giggles** Any ideas who? lol

• sassyd
    18 years ago

OMG.....can you believe we have 3 b-day girls this month? And if thats not enough for ya! They are all on Feb. 26!!

We gotta have a PARTY!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are right sassyd, with all those birthdays we need to have a party!
    Most of you probably saw the "Get well" heading regarding Doris. Doris, we are all thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
    {{gwi:1243550}}

• carealot
    18 years ago

I haven't got out to sending my package yet, but will be soon. Sorry Shannon bare with me this month. We are trying to buy a new car.
    I haven't received a package yet either or heard from my pal at all.
    I know ONE person who is having a BIRTHDAY this month. tee hee!!
    Karri

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karri, The pal who sends to you is Doris who was in the hosptial and now is undergoing rehab in the nursing home. (See the message above the one you posted.) However, I have worked things out with someone so you will not be forgotten in February. Doris really wants to remain in the round robin and swaps because her gardening friends mean so much to her.
    Anyone who did not mail yet this month, get a card in the mail to your pal really soon. That's all it takes to keep you in the Circle. Of course, I would hope that you send a little more than a card on many of the months this year, but please don't forget your pal!

{{gwi:1243551}}

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Jeanne
    Thanks for working the exchange out so Doris can still be in it!!
    She is a sweetheart and I know this robin means a lot to her!!
    I just sent her a card yesterday! Sure hope she will be able to come home soon!!
    It reminds me not to take anything for granted because in a moments time life can change forever!
    Thanks to Deb (doris' daughter) for keeping us posted on your mom!! I know many of us appreciate this!

• carealot
    18 years ago

Oh wow, I did not realize what was going on, this month I have been so busy I have not had time to read all the posts at all. I barely have time to be on the computer. I am so sorry! I have to get a card out to her right away! I feel sooooo bad. Thank you for letting me know and thank goodness I came back to peek in on you guys again.
    Karri

• skohler
    18 years ago

gm all
    still no word on Doris as of yet I'm sure
    I will hear from debbie soon . as soon as I hear
    I will post it here for everyone to read .

I hope everyone will send those get well cards.
    thank you
    susie

pedalpusher working on your next can you take a few & put a few wanted seeds, bulbs, or plants on your garden web page soon :)) it would really help me. Hugs

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Hi Pastwast So good to see you post!! I have been wondering how you are? How is the training going with the puppy? I miss hearing about that!! Clyde has been laid to rest. I miss him so much! Take care and post when you have the time as I know you are always busy!! Take care!

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Happy Feb. Birthday to the Circle Girls!
    Ok let us know how you spent your special day?
    I hope it was enjoyed by all of you!

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

I mailed my March package out to Alicia today. USPS confirmation number 0305 1720 0000 6245 1334.
    I'm going to be really busy next week and wasn't sure if I would even have any extra time to run to the post office.
    My husband hurt his foot at work, 75 lbs of wood fell on his foot and crushed it (from 10 ft. in the air). He has two broken toes and a totally smashed nail bed. We were at the emergency room last night and they removed his nail and repaired the shattered nail bed the best they could. He ended up with 12 stitches in the bed. I never knew a nail bed could bleed so much. Yuck... Anyways, he's home for a few weeks (and on Carpenter's compensation) which is the same amount as if he worked).
    I'm sure I'll be exhausted by midweek! He's worse than the kids when he's sick. UGH!

Alicia, I hope you like everything in the box! :)

Deb

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

Deb - I'm SO sorry to hear about your hubby's accident! That sounds pretty painful. I hope you survive!! LOL

And how sweet of you to take time with all that to drop something in the mail. Whatever you send will be lovely.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and Doris too. Anyone else?

It's raining here! Yippee!! My gardens will be happy, because I've been almost as stingy with watering as mother nature has...

Alicia

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Deb, sooooooo very sorry! For him, and for you! I think we all know how bad 'men' patients are! I do feel for ya honey, its gonna get ruff beforein' it gits better.... peek in when you can, we'll lift you up out of it! (If only a few mintues!) Sometimes thats enough...

Don't forget to check our thread on Sunday! I gave my word, and that's when it'll be!

I have to say this time, I do think dh has a legetimate complaint, but we know how that goes before its over! Be careful not to get sucked in toooooo long! kik and we have an outstanding b-day party at the "best gifts" and a winner to be announced, so be there~~~~~lol

Sassyd

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the BIG DAY with all the birthdays...

Happy Birthday to Kelli!
    Happy Birthdat to Dee!
    Happy Birthday to Shannon!

Gee, is there anyone else? LOL

I think we should all get together and have a big party later in the day. What do you think? Of course, we could each bring a plant for the birthday girl... and a cake decorated with live flowers... oh, I can see it now.
    Enjoy your special day, girls!

• sassyd
    18 years ago

I agree Jeanne, I'll be back later for the fun, believe it or not I do have one more b-day bud....my DH, havin' a big dinner for him so I'll be back later in the day! Hope all you girls have a great day!

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Thanx =) I'm having cupcakes and ice cream for breakfast! DD is visiting for the weekend, her 16th b-day was last monday.... we spent the day shopping yesterday =D
    I had a half bottle of white zinfindel last night and passed out on the couch... pretty much the extent of my celebration =) I guess I just can't party like I used to!

Big hugs to everyone =) Karri, I will let you know just as soon as my package comes!
    Shannon

• faintheart
    18 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHANNON AND KELLI!!! ;)

Thank you, SRose for the pretty cake!!! Will pop back in later for a P A R T Y...havin' a lil celebration here.

sassyd...BACK AWAY from the cake slowly and no one will get hurt! *giggles*

• zoegurl2001
    18 years ago

To my pal Shannon and the other b-day girls, I want to wish you a very happy birthday today! Sounds like quite a party you had last night Shannon, haha. ;) Hope you enjoyed the cupcakes and ice cream, and I hope that you all have a fun day!

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

Hpppy Happy Birthday gals and best wishes to all three of you. What delightful decorations. I love the cakes and the icing lapping pooch. I'll check back later for more details on the party.
    hugs to all, BB

• skohler
    18 years ago

Happy Birhtday to all you Birthday gals :))

susie

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

~HAPPY BIRTHDAY~ Faint, Kelli, Shannon!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday old ladies, hope yall had a great one{{gwi:1243553}}

• mellen
    18 years ago

Just want to add my birthday wishes to all three of you, too!!! Happy birthday to three great ladies! Anyone telling ages? We're friends here. : )))) Mellen

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday ladies! Hope I'm not too late for some cake! Hope your day was a great one!

Alicia

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Kelli!
    Happy Birthday Dee!
    Happy Birthday Shannon!

Hope y'all had a great day.

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

My March box from Myann arrived today! Myann, wow... you really packed the box to the brim! ;)
    Myann sent so many things I'm not even sure where to begin!

Notecards, 16 month calendar "Full Bloom", beautiful beaded/heart bracelet, healing garden lotion-green tea! I love the scent, so relaxing! CANNA BULBS, I've been wanting to try some! A water bottle, plumberry scented candle (smells so good), fairy pick for the garden (so pretty) it will go perfectly in my NEW MOON GARDEN. Some mixed tea, and Pink Cactus Dahlia! WOW! I can't wait to plant it, I've never grown Dahlia's before.
    Boyds value guide, Ladies Home Journal easy 123 cookbook!

Myann, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUCH A NICE BOX! The canna's are really special, I love living gifts! I'll remember this special swap each time I water them, and watch them grow! Thank you for everthing!

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Ignore the post above! Nothing like trying to catch up on everything in five minutes and posting on the wrong thread, ugh! I didn't notice I posted the message until AFTER I pressed the 'send' button. Sorry!

Deb

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Keli, Dee and Shannon. Hope all of you had great birthdays. Sorry I am a little late with my wishes but have been having a little trouble with the computer.

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I am confused, I thought I had Debby, or are there two?we all know its not nice to fool mother carol.

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the b-day wishes, and thanx to Summer for the card, it came yesterday =) I will post more later, feeling oooooollllddd this morning, need sleep! I think I worked too hard last night ;)

btw, I am now 35.... I won't say "years young," I gave up on that crap a few years ago =oP hehehe!
    Shannon

• daisy_me
    18 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes! I'll say also, it was the big 32 for me.

Thanks to Stephanie/Pastvast for the package (which finally arrived yesterday!) this month and the B-day wishes. I received a book called The Cultivated Gardener, which I have a feeling I'm going to love! My pal sent some herb seeds, which I'll be sure to plant, I'm adding more herbs to my veggie garden this year. My pal also sent some seed starting guides, perfect timing since I've gotten behind on getting my seeds started this year and was going to start this week. And last but not least a foot soak (I love pampering myself!), and a BIG chocolate bar! YUM!!! I hope I didn't forget anything, I'm going by memory, and you know how that gets as you get older! ;-) Thanks again Stephanie! It was a wonderful package this month!

Thanks to our host, Jeanne/Sandlapper Rose (the person I send to) for the B-day wishes. That was a nice surprise to receive a card (both of them!).

And finally, Spring is coming! My crocus are blooming right on schedule again this year with the first bloom opening on my Birthday (Sunday). Can't wait for all those daffodils that are poking through to finally take off!

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Carol,
    I am your pal. I was in such a rush yesterday, that I posted a thank you on the wrong thread! I also belong to another monthly exchange. I'm not used to my Husband being home all day, (he hurt his foot, broke 2 toes) asking me for things/talking to me all day and wondering what I'm up to online! He was talking to me while I was typing the thank you note and asking who I'm writing too! Plus, I was frying chicken on the stove so I tried to read/catch up and post all at the same time! That's what happens when you have 5 minutes to do several things! ;)
    I can't wait until his foot gets better and he goes back to work! He's going to be off for SIX WEEKS!

So, yes, you are my partner. :) I do believe that two Deb's are on this exchange --Deb in Oklahoma and of course, me.

Sorry for the confusion!

Deb

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

I received my March package from Debbya yesterday - thank you so much Deb!

It was a pretty good size box, and taking up most of the room was this adorable big fat resign frog. He is just perfect! Deb called him King Frog, and that's going to be my name for him! Don't know exactly where he's going to go, but I'll find the perfect spot.

Also included was a magnet refrigerator notepad with a floral motif. I love those, I use them for my to-do lists and grocery lists, so can always use more. And a great selection of seeds, and extra seed baggies too.

Deb, thank you so much, again it is so thoughtful of you to get it to me early when you're dealing with so much right now.

Alicia

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Alicia,
    I'm so glad that King frog made it in one piece, he's huge! I tried to wrap him well, too well! The box would barely close!
    I would of put more stuff in the box, but had no space left.

Nah, I'm not dealing with too much-just a whiny Husband, that turned into a two year old, LOL!

• faintheart
    18 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes and surprises sent! I am the "old" lady Veeja referred to at 49 now.

Suzanne, thank you for the birthday card I received today! LOTS better than bills for sure! ;) I can't forget to thank our dear sassyd for making my birthday so special too!
    I have to say it was the bestest birthday this old lady can remember!!! *giggles*

hugssssssssss to all from the old lady,
    ~Faint