Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

update: mnf: my silly valentine #2

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

I went to post, and the other one is full up!

Must've had a hen party last night!!! LOL :O)

Comments (150)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Michele, that is fantastic news! I am so excited for you!

Hubby and I just got back from our Valentine's Day Date. He surprised me with an overnight stay at a bed and breakfast after dinner last night! I was so shocked. He has never done anything like this before. The owner had wine and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us when we got to the room. The room was decked out with all kinds of valentine hearts and roses, pretty little antique nick-nacks and chintz pillows. A king size bed! I felt like a teeny tiny person in that big old bed! Loved every minute of it! What a great hubby I have!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

thanks!
    WOW!!! that's soo awesome!! were you speechless or what???
    i bet it was sooo cool!!! he's so awesome!! hmmmm.....he definately gets an a+++++ LOL on the romantic side of it. LOL

we decided to go for the 10 x 12 at harbor freight!!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Yes, I was definitely at a loss for words! He really surprised me. He's a keeper!

I am going to go look up that green house at HF right now! Can't wait to peak at it!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Michele, that looks amazing! That is the perfect size and I love how wide the doors are on it! I will have to save up for one!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

we are getting it with income tax. my summerseed hill stuff came in today!! they let me know yesterday they were sending it out. how crazy is that?? or the day befor. but that is sooo cool!! i was not expecting that!! i'm so happy!!! :')) its nice to see you on here again tracy!!io

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Good morning girls. Seems I got something a little extra for my Birthday, morning sickness. I've not told mr fishy yet, I just figured it out yesterday (I'm a bit slow on these things), but it seems our romantic xmas trip up to the mountains worked. Going to see my doc on Tuesday.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

OMG!!!!! Fishy!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I put enough exclamation points on that!!! Woo Hoo!!!! Congratulations!! I'm sure Mr. Fishy will be THRILLED!!!! Wow! I am just smiling away for you!

Tracy - what an awesome surprise!!! That is so cool! These guys are the best sometimes, aren't they?! I'll bet you had a lot of fun!!

Michele - the greenhouse sounds so nice! I'll have to take a look at it! Hubby keeps telling me someday - hopefully someday soon!!

Love to all of you!!

Becki

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!! How fantastic, Fishy!! YAY!!!! I hope hubby is thrilled!! I know all the girls are! LOL!! :O) Hmmm...A baby shower round robin?? In about September?? :O) :O)

TRACY!!! What a Romantic idea your husband had! (I had my hubby read over my shoulder...just for hints...LOL...Hope it works!!) :O) You should definitely keep that one around! :O) I'll bet you felt like a queen!

Michele- Harbor freight has green houses? So cool! I did not know that, we've got a HF store about 5 miles from here, I 'll have to go check that out. That's hubby's favorite store..can hardly get him away from there!

And how is Miss Becki today?? :O)

Adora is actually PLAYING today! Yay!! This would be the first day all week that she's felt up to giggling and running around. Aubeni & I have been sleeping most all day. Hubby let us all take a big nap. I think, I've only been awake for maybe 3 hours total today. LOL Ah well, we're all starting to feel much better. Dang flu bug, anyway! ICK.

Where is Miss Pixie?? And our other girls??

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Congratulations Fishy! That is wonderful news! I know that hubby of yours will be over the moon with excitement!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

CONGRATS FISHY!!!!!!!

glitter-graphics.com
    later...dirt

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i can't wait to hear what mr.fishy has to say and how ya tell him!!! congradulations!!!! this is sooo cool!!! WOW what are the boy's gonna think?? i hope they are happy!! (with a girl) :')) packages all done i just need to send them off monday! and i'm so anxious to see what ya think!! i so hope ya like them, i know it aint much but........LOL
    we have a harbor freight in topeka. i hope we can order it and have them ship it to topeka. and then pick it up. but putting it together is gonna be scary from the sounds of it. but what the hey!! LOL i want to leave the floor bare and in the walking area put gravel. so can plant stuff in the ground under where i have the benches and such. or the hanging stuff. i do have it all planned in my head. LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Michele, I showed that greenhouse to the hubby and he mentioned the gravel for the floor. Seems that is a part of the thermal factor since the stones will heat up too and retain the warmth with a slow release for cool evenings. Check into wether the whole floor needs to be gravel or not. Alana has a greenhouse, right? She might know best.

Bunny, You bet your sweet bunny tail I am keeping him around! LOL! I have to tell you I really didn't know how to handle being pampered like that. I am normally the one who takes care of every little thing. This was such a great gift for me.

Fishy, I am sending you good vibes and happy thoughts. I lived on Gingerale and saltines for months when I was pregnant with the boys. I will pray that this part passes quickly for you!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Michele - I checked it out too, and that looks like a great greenhouse! How exciting! (But not quite as exciting as Fishy's news. Sorry!) I'll have to put a little bug in my hubby's ear - you know we should have a refund coming...

We are expecting a major storm tonight and tomorrow. Emergency Mangement is suggesting everyone have extra batteries and lots of warm blankets, as extended power outages are a good possiblity. They are talking about 1/2" of ice tonight, and then 6-8" of snow on top of that, with sustained winds of 25-30 mph, and gusts of 50 mph. We have gas for the generator and oil for the lamps, so I think we are good to go! But, if you don't hear from me for a few days, that will probably be why. (Depending on whether or not Dave decides to hook up the computer to the generator.)

One week down on my new way of eating, and it's going really well!! I explained to the kids tonight that we are going to limit their portion sizes to a serving, so for example when we have cheeseburgers, they only get one, and then they can have onion rings (which didn't come out so good), cottage cheese, grapes, carrots, anything good to help fill them up. But, in exchange for that, I said I will have a dessert with every supper (which will always be low fat - there are some GREAT recipes out there!) They said, "Dessert and a snack??? We can go for that!" I said, well, snack then will probably be something small. They thought that sounded okay. So tonight, we had sugar free banana cream pudding with a little cool whip on top for dessert, and for a snack, they had a fudgesicle (which I don't think they realize is low cal and low fat!) I'm learnin'! : )

Have a great evening girls!!

Love ya!
    Becki

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki, batten down those hatches and stay safe and warm. I hope you get to keep your power! I think that was a great plan with the kids. Very smart of you to make an agreement with them instead of telling them "here's the new plan". You are a wise one. It sounds like the plan is really agreeing with you. Way to go.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Heya Ladies,

I posted earlier but it didn't take obviously. Can't remember exactly what it said but oh well.

Tracy that is an awesome Valentines and Such a SWEETIE to do that for you!!!! I am almost jealous!

Michelle, that greenhouse is wonderful!

Becki, the nastys you sent me are blooming now, I have never had one bloom before! Also the Peppermint Zinna's you sent me are blooming so this is definately Becki Week! You be safe tonight and keep ya'll warm sweetie!

Melissa I sm sooo glad ya'll are feeling better! I hate it when my friends are feeling bad.

Fishy, Congrats I know Mr. Fishy will be thrilled also.

Fox has "the tree" almost taken down, but in the process he dropped a hmmm limb ? on a bud of mine that was ready to bloom, I know it wasn't a crocus, I think but I don't think it was a tulip either, I opened it up afterwards and it was purple with blue and green at the cup. It was a bulb I got from my sil's house so of course its unknown. I also have a group of hyacinths bursting forth a mix of woodstock and city of harlem.

BEST THING THOUGH......... I have a (yeppers just one) Daylily ready to bloom! I have never had one so of course I am very excited. It is right outside my front door to the left. I think THINK its either named "Matt" or "Royal Knight" Its inbetween those two markers lol.

Well we are under a severe storm warning and a tornado watch so I best be going for now.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's ok i'm way happy for fishy!! life takes presidence over gh. LOL and i was wondering how our storm was gonna affect you guys. it seems ours always goes to you. i'm so sorry its so bad!! :'(( i'm sending warm hugs your way!! i like your idea!! with the kids and all Way cool becki!! LOL
    ya and something about i can put up aluminum foil in the winter and them water barrels and it will hit the barrels and it will keep the place warm. i will try it. but have a thing to kick on just in case it gets too cold. heck if i have to i'll add another barrel!! LOL :')) i read it in the gh forum. heck if i have to cover the whole bottom thats ok!! LOL i can sq ft garden it in there with the parts i want. LOL i'd think. i told dh about fishy being pregnant and mr fishy. he was chuckling. he goes is that his name? i said no thats what we call the husbands. he said so who am i? mr medontdo? i said no mr medo. LOL he goes ohhhhh LOL
    we think tekina is having a boy. that's our niece. cuz they had to take the little one into get her used to the baby whatever it is. she don't want no more boys. she has 2 brothers. so that's why we think it has to be a boy.
    well he's yammering at me to get to getting on to get ready for bed. and all. so ya'll stay nice and warm!! lots of love
    medo

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tracy, I think you sent all that rain our way! We've had rain constantly since last night, it hasn't let up at all. Now our yard is under about 3" of water, and our carport is flooded with even more than that! (major drainage issues here LOL)
    Ugh, it's a mess! 90% chance for rain tomorrow, too!!
    The temps are supposed to dip lower tomorrow & Monday morning, so all of this will turn into yucky stuff. *sigh* I'll be SO glad when summer gets here!!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

I stopped chewing on them years ago, but now I've bit them all down. Poor hubby, I don't often keep anything from him, and I'm an awful liar, so he knows I'm "off", I'm trying to play it off as birthday blues & flu... Both of the boys were miserable pregnancies, and it seems my body just isn't very sturdy when it comes to this, so I'm already a lil worried... I know he'll be thrilled, I just want doc to confirm things are good. He's very much wanting a baby.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Oh yes, my muscari bloomed today, with everything else I forgot all about them.
    I just realized, we need another bedroom now, there's no room to expand here, can you see him designing nursery furnashings? oh boy.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Fishy, Honey...we'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers that this will be a healthy & strong pregnancy!! Just remember to pamper yourself & take things easy - both physically & emotionally. Drink your red raspberry tea (strengthens uterine tone) ginger tea (morning sickness), remember your vitamins, and get plenty of sleep! (this would be where you say "yes mom" LOL)
    {{gwi:1244249}}

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i'd say yes mom too! she's been there done that and has 5 (?) wonderful kiddo's :'))
    i was a cracker freak too!! could only drink sprite no ice what so ever!! just the thought of it would make me sick.
    my sil chews lots of spearmint gum, says it helps her.
    we'll have ta hear about the funny cravings!!! LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

yucky!! hnb....your yard!!! ours was yesterday, now its all snow. :'((
    how ya holdin up becki?? hope ya still have power. so far so good here. thank the good LORD!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Protein always helped my morning sickness- like meats or nuts..sometimes a heavy dose of starches would too. It wasn't unusual to see me scarfing down a baked potato or a baked chicken breast at 4am!! LOL
    I think the weirdest thing I've ever craved, though, would have to be onions & chocolate. I'd literally make an onion & hershey bar sandwich. *yummy* (shuddering now just THINKING about it!!) UGH.
    Normal cravings, though...lots of salsa - the green kind - with at least 2 of my pregnancies..and tomatoes (NOT green! LOL)
    Oooh! I just rubbed a pregnant woman's belly a few weeks ago! (bad bunny, remember your boundaries!! LOL) It made me crave holding a newborn!! *sigh* Nothing better than holding a new baby! So tiny..so sweet..you just want to squeeze them!! :O)

How are our snow bunnies this morning?? Is everyone getting snowed in?? I hope it's nothing like out in Colorado!! Man, the pictures on Yahoo of the snow out there??! Wild!! I would NOT want that much snow. That's just plain nuts. Yep. Nuts. :O)

Oh, Medo!! I told hubby "hey, did you know Harbor freight has green houses??" He's like.."Um, YEAH. Yes, I do. They're around $300-400." I said..WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION IT???? Grrrrr!! You knew all this time?? (um, yeah..yeah, he did!!) LOL He just didn't want to tell me, cause he knew we couldn't afford one!! (sweet, in his own way!!) Ah, Men...so protective!! :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot! The thing that helped my morning sickness was to have a small (8 oz.) cup of cereal (non-sugar) in the evenings. It seems that if you go too long without some nourishment the morning sickness is worse. My Ob told me that when I was pregnant with Emma. Figures it would have been for my last pregnancy! It really did help a lot. I noticed the difference if I didn't have that evening snack.

Trina, sorry your bud got smooshed! Those hyacinth sound pretty cool. I've never heard of those before. Tell Fox to watch your babies! Sheesh! My friend lost a couple of rhodies when she had her house sided, the crew kept putting their ladders right on them and broke nearly every branch on the bushes. She was so upset! They were beautiful double blooming whites that I had picked up for her a few years ago.

Melissa, I'm sorry for all the rain! Woops, when I wooshed it away I thought I sent it north to the kanooks! Sorry, I must have gotten turned around somehow. The same pattern happened here with the temps dipping after all the rain. Lots of slick patches so be careful going to work tonight. Some of those dippy drivers don't know how to slow down gradually. Saw an accident happen like that when I was going past the Post Office right after it froze over. The guy was slowing down before leaving the parking lot and slammed right into a mini van that was passing the exit. Tore up the front end of the car in the parking lot and took the side panels right off the mini van. That guy was not taking his time coming to a stop.

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

I have seen those HarbourFreight Greenhouses and seriously considered getting one. (I could get it, but I can hear the DH now, lol) They have three sizes now and the little one (I would like that one) is about $280. There is a thread here at GW about building them, I will see if I can find it. But it is in the greenhouse forum.

Congratulations Fishymama! as everyone else has already said, rest and relaxation is best! Take care of the momma, the baby knows

Melissa I will take all unwanted rain please! please!

Everyone take care in the weather (we are not having any at the moment) Though it was a bit chilly this morning while I was checking my seedlings. (50's sheesh I am getting soft in this climate!)

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

OMGOSH!!!! its official!!! he just ordered it online!! i'm so not kidding!! LOL i'm so anxious!! i'm getting MY baby!! LOL alot earlier and NO morning sicknes!!! LOL (ummmm.....but not.....) at least til it comes in, then the headache begins til its put together!!! LOL MAN !!!! I"M SOOOO HAPPPPPPYYYYYY!!!!!! he's copying off the stuff now that proves he paid. LOL HEEE HEEE!!! :'))))

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay, Medo!! :O) I'm happy for you!
    And now I get to be even MORE jealous of your green thumb!! Goodness, who KNOWS what all you'll be able to grow now! :O)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

LOL or ruin?? LOL :'>>> LOL your hubby will be so good and go buy ya even a small one, ya'll see. ya'll just smooch him a good one!! LOL and give em that ol bunny feeling!! LOL :'>>

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bunny feeling?? LOL! Oh, that just sounds wrong, girl!! :O)

My mom just called to give hubby a piece of her mind, b'c he didn't get me any candy for Valentines day!! LOL She KNOWS we're broke, yet she still thinks Valentines day isn't the same without candy. Silly woman! :O) Still, she could leave hubby alone. He felt bad enough as it is...honestly.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

We are doing fine here! Michele, I am so excited for you!! I can't wait to see pics! I hope it goes together REALLY easily!! Poor Marcus - gettin' a piece of momma's mind!! I feel sorry for him!

Our snow has stopped now, so that's good! Dave thought we needed to go to town earlier, I didn't want to go, but he told me I wasn't "adventureous" enough. So, I went. Boy was that frightening, but we made it! The plows hadn't been out, and there were drifts all over the place. Icky!

Hope you all are having a great day!

Becki

• medontdo
    16 years ago

geez!! i woulda been ALL over that becki!!! getting out!! oh ya!! LOL
    we got to go to town, and our yard was SOOOO flooded, and dummy me forgot to take a pic of the water just peacefully going, it looked so pretty!! :'))
    geez bunny ma!! behave!!
    ya know its their job to make the guys feel aweful!! :'(( although rite now mommy is happy with dh, LOL wonder why?? i told her he got a burlington coat factory card just to see what she'd say, LOL and she was like awww i have to try to get one. in a heart beat they'd give her one!! trust me on that. LOL then i told her...just joshin, i wanted to see what ya'd say...LOL cuz that's one ya didn't have. LOL
    i'm glad your just fine becki!! we were wondering about all that!! and tracy??? pixie???? i think i heard you were having bad weather right? is everyone else ok in our rr?? with all the weather going on its so hard to remember where everyone is and all, ok this dang back up keeps coming on, but it won't back up. cuz of the disk doesn't have enough space. errrrrrrr!!!!!! *%*@!%%*** and some more of those things LOL :')) lots of love medo ps he was looking at the benches on the receipt that he printed off, and he was like hey ya know if this goes thru good and we like this really good, we might think about them benches one at a time. hmmmmmm....... how cool is this???? LOL man LOTS of pressed work clothes and NO messed up "ACCIDENTLY" messing up on haircuts eh???? LOL ***HUGE ONERY GRINN*** LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Poor Mr. Bunny, there is nothing in the world like being taken to task by the mother-in-law. Been there before with my mama-inlaw. Not a fun place to be, espcecially when they don't behave reasonably.

Michele, we're fine up here. It should be mild until Tuesday. Then the temps drop again and we might get a storm. Not sure yet if it will miss us or not. Trina is in Texas and they have tornado warnings and thunderstorm warnings. Looks pretty yicky down there right now.

Trina, hope you are doing ok down there. Pop in and let us know if you can!

Becki, glad you weathered through ok. I wouldn't want to be on the roads like that. We had a day last week that was like that. The kids were already in school when the bulk of the snow came in. The roads were BAD. I am a good driver in those conditions but the van is not easy to handle with the rear wheel drive on ice. I had to pick Dan up at preschool at the worst part of the storm and was fishtailing just going straight and steady. Luckily not too many cars were on the road so it wasn't too bad.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I am glad to know that all ya'll are doing ok after these bouts of storms we have all been having. We had some major thunder and lightening last night and lots of rain, back yard is back to being "Fox Lake". Today was beautiful, in the mid 70's. I KNOW something COLD is going to happen before Spring is here though. Its supposed to be springlike most of the week here.

I feel for you girls on snow and ice, I have ended up in the ditch a couple of times from that slick stuff, brrrrr and scary! (it was in Dallas when we lived there) Ya'll be careful!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

nice to hear everyone is ok that we usually hear from. now we just need to hear from our others. LOL :'))
    ok now i was ironing the hubby's clothes, and listening to the tv, and being irritated by what i was seeing. i was watching cbs. the kiddo's are coming home tomarow morning. YAY :')) its been very quiet here!! LOL uhhhh too quiet!!
    now ya could go fishing in fox lake!! LOL little bunny's hoppin around, have ya'll ever watched this dexter on cbs?? i kinda like it!! too much talking though.
    dh is thinking about letting tabor go back to school next year. yep i think i'm losing that round. but not with talla. she absolutely does not want to go to school!! which is fine with him. :'))

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

LOL Fox Lake is deep enough to have lil fishies in it but nopers, it just stays around long enough to make it muddy in my house from the kiddos and long enough for crawdaddys to make their castles in lol. Hopefully by Weds it will be soaked in enough to not have any standing water. We do actually have some bunnys that venture into our yard and raccoons and possums also sometimes. Its getting close to baby time for all the animals round here, maybe thats why the hawks are hanging around eh?

WHOOOHOOO on your Kiddos coming home, I know it gets quiet when they are gone!

Well ya'll just 20 days until Daylight Savings Time!!!! Just 31 days left til the first day of SPRING!!!!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Are you getting that storm today, Tracy? The kids don't have school here today, since the roads are still pretty bad. Makes for a short school week - it's parent-teacher conference week, so they get out early on Tuesday and Thursday, and no school Friday. Thursday, my kids will only be there for about an hour in the morning, as they all have orthodontist appointments in Des Moines (reschedules from ones I had to cancel a couple weeks ago because of the weather) that morning. I wouldn't even send them, but the two younger REALLY want to get a perfect attendance award this year, so we're really trying! So, they will only have about 2 days of school this week. Weird! I've got the neighbor kids over today, and will for a couple hours Tuesday and Thursday and for half a day on Friday (I think), so at least I should be making a nice little check again this week! : )

I told Dave about your greenhouse, Michele, and his response was, "That wouldn't be big enough for us." I'm like, um yeah, I think it would be, but he said no, we need a big one. So, I guess when he thinks we are ready for that (in other words, we have a big chunk of change with nothing else that needs to be done with it - probably in many years), we'll be getting a big one. Oh, well, someday!

I hope you all are having a great day!!

Becki

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki, we got a nasty thunderstorm last night but that was about it. We had a few snowflakes flying this morning but nothing major. The kids are off today for President's Day. They had off Friday for a Teacher Inservice day so they are having a nice long weekend.

Dave doesn't think that is big enough? Holy moly! Just thinking about all the racks that I could install in there, I wonder how many seed trays that would be? If it were 3 shelves high on both sides. That would be 24 feet x's 3, so 72 linear feet of shelves. If you lined the trays up short ways (12 trays on each shelf at around 72 plants per tray) that would be 5,184 plants!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

well my other post is just gone!! just like that! LOL don't know what happened? hey becki tell him there are bigger ones and they are still cheap compared to all the others. and this one lady bought 2 of the one i'm getting and put them together to get the size she wanted. and then that would be big enough for ya all, if he wouldn't sneak out there and snack on the grub!! LOL :')) grant said the house work'll never get done. i said what house work? we'll always be out there!! so the house will always be clean!! LOL geez as long as i have soil and such!! but now i go to the seed exchange and i see all the stuff there and am totally not interested. becuase of all the things i got online, all those seem not what i want. they sent me blue ripple sweet pea as a bonus!! i was like OMGOSH!!!! LOL its so pretty!! :'))
    i got some ginko seeds from a friend and 1 is actually growing!!! YAY i am so excited!! i'll have to transfer it out later. when it gets more leaves.
    i wonder what would get dave to see how much you want this gh? you could make a business out of it!! too like sell some salsa and some stuff.??? then maybe that'd peak his interest?? :'))

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Medo, I was thinking the same thing about getting them to see the money making aspect of it. I told my hubby that if you actually got over 5,000 viable plants out of the greenhouse and sold them for a couple of bucks a piece you would make your money back on the gh, shelves, soil and planters in no time flat plus have extra left over. Then after the plants are ready for transplant you can start up the next round of seeds. That farmers market that Becki goes to would probably love having some perennial plants for sale too. You could sell vegies, eggs, canned goods plus plants, tomato, pepper, cukes, perennials and annuals and make a good profit.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Yeah - the funny thing is, he wants it for making money, but thinks we need a big one for that. Like we are going to start a nursery or something! I want to of course start lots of plants, but also have a place to keep my tropicals over the winter. I want to grow some kiwi trees, for my strawberry kiwi preserves - I've already orderd strawberry plants for this year - he doesn't realize that yet, but I got them with my babysitting money at bloomingbulbs.com for a pretty good price. I'm really excited for that! If I can get to the point where all I have to buy for them is sugar, that would be great! He already said he would build all the shelves and tables when we get one, so we would probably have them much cheaper than buying them. Anyway, I'll work on him! I have my ways... ; )

Becki

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi ladies,

After reading everything on here,ya'll inspired me so I called the Feed Store (owned by friends of ours) and asked if I could put home grown veggies, herbs and plants in their store to sell them! They told me SURE! I would just have to pay $10 dollars rent for space a month for only the time I needed. Now I am really excited! I won't push fox for a larger greenhouse yet, gonna see how this spring and summer goes. I won't have to be up there, just need to mark and price the things. I am tickled!

I cleaned out most of the leaves and junk from my LG so hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be able to transplant all the seedlings that go in there to it. I also marked my veggie garden and this weekend plan on working it over and putting up the hot wire and some seedlings in it. I still have about two-three more weeks (maybe) to start seeds straight into the soil, I will check the temp of the soil later to determine that.

Smiles all and keep up the encouragement!
    Pixie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pixie, you're so right about inspiration!! :O)
    Hubby works for a company that produces metal things for buildings (the correct wording eludes me at this point!) - like roof panels, skylights, frames..etc. Anyway, he says.."ya know, we make a carport frame now, too. If we got one of those, and some skylight panels...we could make our own green house really cheap!" He gets everything at cost + 10%, so it's fairly cheap, in comparison to the commercial pre-made ones.
    So, now I'm excited...he's going to get an exact price quote tommorrow....YAY!! He *thinks* the measurements are about 15' wide by 20-24' long. So that's a fairly good size! We got to talking about what all we could grow in one...he's more excited than I am! LOL
    BUT that's all dependent on *if* we get a tax return...and what else we would need to spend it on if we do! LOL Oh well, at least I know how much I'd need to save up!! :O)

There's also a greenhouse/nursery about 5 miles from our house, that's been run down & closed for the past 2 years. I'm thinking about going over there next weekend and talking to them...seeing if they will part with any shelves or other things. Even if they have plastic sheeting...wow, that would save alot!! :O)

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Bunny, that is so awesome! Now if I can get my hubby to jump on the greenhouse bandwagon - just think of so many of us having greenhouses!! : ) I'd love to talk him into using some of the income tax money for it, but I know he has other plans for that (i.e. - our woodburning stove and everything needed to put it in, a pool table that REALLY cheap - only $400, down from $1000, and he wants to enclose our front porch and turn it into our office.) So, obviously he has other plans that are good for the whole family, so maybe I'll just tell him I want to save up as much as I can, and go from there. We'll see. If I can save up half, maybe he'll see how serious I am. Anyway, we'll have one someday, if not this year.

Pixie - I'm so glad to hear that you did that!!! I wish I could get up the balls to ask someone about doing that, but I'm not really friends with anyone that owns a store. But, yes, I do believe that the farmer's market outlet will be a good one. And hopefully I will get a roadside stand done this year too. Depends on how busy things get. : )

• medontdo
    16 years ago

oh how cool hnb!!! this is sooo awesome!! now I can be so happily jealous!!! LOL :')) that's way big!! :'))
    how big is yours pixie?? 6 x 8? i don't really recall you saying? but its not how big it is its how much you use it and how great it works!! :'))
    becki i'm sure that somehow everything will work out!! even if he builds it himself!! which knowing the little i see you wrote about him, he probably will do. :')) and it'll be fabulous!! :'))

oh ya and we could all share our seeds that we don't have!! LOL i just bought some passi"s. and they're edible and fragrant!! LOL had to have the both or no go!!! :')) (for me!!) LOL KIWI!! i just winter sowed some don't know the kind though. i want the vines. supposed to produce the very next year. but ya need both. but i'm still thinking about ordering some of them. "thinking"
    sometimes i do wish that our men would let us know what they are thinking, sometimes i have to ask him exactly what is it that you are looking for tht will let me get this particular thing?? LOL although i hate doing that, makes me feel like a child then after that if that don't work comes the pissy attitude always, devil done won. that's when usually i just can't stop even though i know i should. i hate it!! haven't been that way in a LONG while i think. we've been pretty good except the day i messed up my eyebrows. LOL

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

LOL Medo mine is just a lil bitty one, its 4 shelves with a raincoat that zips over it but it is holding now more than 100 cups of seedlings plus 5 trays of peat pots and the bottom shelf is still empty. It works for me but then too I have the pool table in the barn that I have more seedlings on (well on plywood over the pooltable)

Bunny if I were there I'd go with ya to ask them. That sounds like a great thing! Im excited for you about ya'lls plans for your greenhouse!!

Becki, I have been checking into farmers markets around here and they really don't have them close to here (closest one is 30 minutes away and then there is one every Thursday in Needville that is about 45 mins away but sounds like a good one, I am going to go there and look around this Thurs.) I also am finding out about a roadside stand to see if the outskirts of Katy allows that, things are so weird around here but if they do then I am going to do that if my cukes, squash,tomatoes and other veggies go good. (ohhh I hope they do just to show fox that gardening doesn't only burn calories but also produces dollars!) I have all the stuff for both a roadside stand and a booth at the farmers market from my woodworking and crafts booth.

I think fox is happy that I have been getting back involved in living again. He and I were talking this evening about my plans for my gardening and also my woodworking/painting/crafts, he was very encouraging about everything I talked about.

Thanks ya'll :)
    Pixie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's good pixie!! :')) we are thinking about doing the same thing, sorda , not by my choice!!! tabors. he's the social bug!! not me!! so this will be his thing. i'll just be the driver. LOL and ours is like 8 miles away. LOL in a tiny town. and i know nothing about it. but i might do like joy does and just go to the park and sit there and the talla can play while tabor sells. LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Wow, look at all these girls making plans! I love it. It is so nice to see everyone excited and looking forward to great things! It almost feels like spring fever is hitting. I would so LOVE to have one of those greenhouses! Ed looked at me and said "hey, those cost the same as a root canal" (which I need to have done desperately but am too cheap to take care of). I shot him one of those looks and said "I'd much rather have the greenhouse!"

I was telling him last night that I am ready for warm weather. I have a flower bed that I am itching to tear apart and redo in the front of the house and many projects that are inside that need to get done. Yep, I've got the spring fever bad. I need a warm snap so I can throw open my windows and doors and air out my house and get some painting done. Come on warm weather!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Sounds like a good plan to me, Michele!

It's been blowing pretty badly here all day, so there are still major drifts on the roads. Dave and my neighbor are both saying they don't think there will be any school tomorrow again. The drifts, plus it's supposed to be below zero in the morning - that would be a bad mix!

Ugh - Dave just called, and said when he gets home pretty soon, he wants to take me out and see what's going on around us. He says it's like something I won't see for another 20 years. I don't really want to, as I HATE the slippery roads, but I guess I'll go. I'll try not to be scared... He says there is no way they will have school tomorrow - if they do, he is going to the next school board mtg. and tell the superintendant that he is a da** fool! Okay, I guess I'm off to see the big drifts!

Becki

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

It was 72 out, I wore a gauze dress today, and the seedlings are transplanted. Sadily instead of enjoying spring I've had my nose in text books.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, that sounds so nice, Fishy!! I'll bet you looked so pretty! We JUST got back home - it was quite an adventure, but I need to get to bed now, so I'll tell you all about it tomorrow. I'd say it's unlikely we'll have school tomorrow!
    Becki