Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniesc_gw

Second Annual April Showers will bring May Flowers Swap

conniesc
14 years ago

The last big seed Swap before summer is upon us!

With a majority of wintersowing underway, what a great way to share the extraÂs you have to fulfill someoneÂs wish list item.

You will look at members who sign-up for this swap list, then choose items from their want list to send them.

1. To participate you need to have a wishlist posted on GardenWeb

2. If you sign-up and do have have your email address set-up to be shared, then I will ask that you email me to get my address for where to send in seeds.

3. If you have extraÂs available and you do not find them on peopleÂs wishlist, you may post them on the string. People who are interested should modify their want list to add these items. Please place these in a baggie mark " posted extraÂs". I will divide these evenly with anyone that has this on their want list. I hope this is a fair way, since not everyone can watch updates to the thread everyday.

4. ExtraÂs can be sent in and will be evenly distributed. Mark these as ExtraÂs. Please do not include unnamed, common seeds unless someone has requested them. ( example: mixed hollyhocks, orange cosmos, unnamed marigolds)

5. There is a 100 package seed limit for sending in. Items should be marked with the personÂs 1- GWName or 2- number assigned as they sign up or 3- in a baggie marked "posted extraÂs" 4- just plain old extra seeds that you want to share with others.

Sign-ups will be until March 19th.

Seeds must be in the mail by Sat. March 27

I will do my best to return to you the same number of seeds packages that you send in. Since people are sending in for others, it can sometimes be difficult if you have a very specific seed list. List everything that you are interested. Review peopleÂs available list- add them to your want list if you are interested in receiving them.

I will have all seeds back in the mail to you within 2 weeks if not sooner after receiving the last package. That way, your April seeds will partake in the April Showers to become May Flowers.

Comments (150)

• karendee
    14 years ago

Sharon, I will send some gords and pumpkins to you. I also have birdhouse gord seeds and I do not have enough room to plant them, want those too?

I have 2 packs of the birdhouse gords if anyone wants some

I also have a seed pack template in word you can print. If anyone wants it send me an email.

Karen

• Bleedfoot
    14 years ago

I dont understand- I thought we just put things into our want lists, and posted in the thread for wants when someone posted up some 'extras' that no one seemed to have on their list?

or do we need to be posting things we saw that we wanted, from other members lists?

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

shmooey, You are correct on how this swap works.
    You compile a wishlist.
    Everyone will review your wishlist and fulfill as many items as possible. People will send to me all the wishlist items that they can fulfill. I will redistribute everything and mail them back

If anyone has seeds when they are done reviewing everyone's lists, they can post them here to see if anyone is interested.

People shoud not be posting seeds on the link until they have reviewed everyone's list and confirmed that no one has them listed. I hope that clears it up.. but you were correct.

• karendee
    14 years ago

Connie, should we print our want list out and send to you so you can pass out seeds easier?

thanks,
    karen

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen, that is not necesary. I will print them out as well as put them all into a document that I can search :)

Thanks for the thought though.

• sharon5840
    14 years ago

Connie,

Thanks on the baggies. I called WalMart last night after I posted and they told me they hid their baggies in the craft section.

Karen,

I'd be interested in any type of pumpkins and gourds. On the seed packet, while doing some more searching I found a template as well.

All,

After updating my want list more times than I can count, any extras that you have of anything and any colors I'd like to have, if no one else asks. Not just flowers but vegetables and herbs too. I'm looking at your lists and reading the names of plants that I have no idea what they are without doing a search on the internet and I am learning so much from it. I can't wait until the seeds arrive, like a kid on Christmas morning.

Thank you all,
    Sharon

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received the first package of seeds!!
    I am assuming sguanzon dropped out, they have responded to any attempts to communicate with them

conniesc --> page updated
    jaynine -->
    hibiscusfan
    poisondartfrog
    ggwrn
    mikey-gardener --> received seeds
    karendee-->
    velsgarden-->
    msbellamia -->
    ishareflowers --> mailed
    clay_lady-->
    dirtkicker
    mdcountrygirl--> dropped out
    dcj24-->
    lilyfinch-->
    sassybutterfly_2008 -->
    sguanzon--dropped out
    blodeuwedd-->
    shmooey -->
    sharon5840 -->
    bev2009-->
    gwen49-->

• karendee
    14 years ago

I am mailing mine today. I have sinus surgery on Friday and I will be real busy getting ready.

I sent in seeds for as many people as possible and some extras.

Thanks for hosting Connie.

Karen

• gwen49
    14 years ago

Connie,
    I think I have got every thing sorted out and ready to send. I'm so sorry,hubby forgot to pick up little stickers for me.Maybe tomarrow.
    I'm trying really hard not to mess this up.
    Son is bringing in an 8' tiller next week or so depending on wheather.A little wide for my flower beds but I'm not gonna kick.It's not as if it's pristeen lawn,mostly weeds!!
    Also,tons of straw,Compost is cooking,I guess planning beds and wintersowing a few more things is about all I can do for the moment.
    Dyslexia is getting to me,going up and down the page,are the shared seeds all claimed?

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gwen49, no worrries. You have plenty of time.

Looking through all the lists can make you go crazy. And boy how time comsuming. As I am reviewing people's wishlists, I find myself looking them up on the internet :)

If you enjoy this swap I would recommend keeping an eye out next year for Patty's 'what is left on you want list'. Same idea as this one, but there are usually somewhere around 50 people who participate.

as for the extra's I posted. add to your list anything that you were interested in. I will make sure they are evenly divided between everyone.

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

I know if you look at my wish list you will not find a long list, but just like christmas as a boy, I just don't know what to list but will be very grateful in what I get. After looking and reading everyone comment and what they have extra, would like to try to grow whatever that will grow in Zone 5. I am not right at this time interested in any ornamental grass or trees

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Spring teased us this weekend. We had gorgeous sunny day and temps of 73 on Saturday, then Sunday turned gloomy and rainy and the temps dropped, tonight back in the 30's. pfft! So I'm busy packing seeds today, I'll list a few seeds here and there that are up for grabs. Seeds are 1 trade packet's worth unless otherwise noted. Here's the first few available packs of items I have up for grabs:

Cup Plant (2 trades)
    Abelmoschus Manihot 'Sunset Hibiscus' (2 trades)
    Winter Cassia (zones 8+)(2 trades)
    Devil's Claw
    Easter Egg Plant
    Siberian Iris (2 trades)
    Foxglove Lavender African (3 trades)(if foxgloves are on your list I probably already packed some up for you but lemme know if you're interested!)
    Cerinthe Glabra Smooth Honeywort
    Buddleia Globosa 'Matico' (zones 8+)
    Pedicularis Crenulata
    Pink Brandywine Tomato
    Yellow Brandywine Tomato
    Cherokee Purple Tomato
    Roma VF Tomato (3 trades)
    Ildi Tomato
    Rutgers Select Tomato
    Georgia Collards (3 trades)

Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!
    Wendy / sassyb.

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

same here. I even packed some sweaters away.. then pulled one out this monring. :(

I would love to try the Cerinthe Glabra Smooth Honeywort

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

same here. I even packed some sweaters away.. then pulled one out this monring. :(

I would love to try the Cerinthe Glabra Smooth Honeywort

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Connie I put your name on it :) They came from Jaynine's garden, she has such a lovely selection of flowers.

Anyone else interested in any of the above? I'm nearing the 100 mark. TRYING not to go over..lol

Thanks,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

Hi Wendy,I would like some of the winter cassia if you have any left.Thanks,velsgarden

• sharon5840
    14 years ago

Wendy,

I would like these.

Cup Plant
    Abelmoschus Manihot Sunset Hibiscus
    Easter Egg Plant
    Siberian Iris
    Foxglove Lavender African
    Cerinthe Glabra Smooth Honeywort
    Pedicularis Crenulata
    Pink Brandywine Tomato
    Cherokee Purple Tomato
    Ildi Tomato

Thanks
    Sharon

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Sassy,

I'd like tyo try the sunset hibiscus is it's still available :]

Thanks for offering!
    Lisa

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Lisa ~ I have some of the Sunset Hibiscus set aside for you, there was plenty to share.

Sharon ~ I have all but the Cerinthe packed up for you, that one was already requested.

Velsgarden ~ I have the Winter Cassia packed up for you as well.

Thanks everyone!
    Wendy / sassyb.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

I would like some of the siberian iris and foxglove. Thanks

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

More Freebies up for grabs:

Mountain Bluet (about 6 trades worth avail.)
    Tuber Vervain (2 trades)
    Hardy Aster (unknown color-rec'd in trade)
    Blue Boy Bachelor Button
    Wooly Mullein (2 trades)
    Bird's Foot Trefoil
    Leucanthemum Shasta Daisy
    Agastache Rupestris Apache Sunset
    Sedum Autumn Joy
    Moss Verbena

Thanks,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hibiscusfan ~ I just packed up the Iris and foxglove for you as well.

Keep in mind the Iris doesn't put out a bloom until year 2. Just fyi :)

Thanks!
    Wendy / sassyb.

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wendy I would also like to try the Agastache Rupestris Apache Sunset. thanks

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Sassy, I would like a few seeds of Buddleia globosa if you have any left.
    I will be packaging mine up this week. Here are a few more leftovers if anyone is interested in them. Please post here and add to your want list if you want to claim them. There are only a few of each kind but most can probably divided by 2 if more than one person wants them.

Tiarella Silverado, Summer Hill Seeds
    Lathyrus aphaca var. affinis, Select Seeds
    Mirabilis elegans, Chiltern Seeds
    Asparagus densiflorus Meyerii, Foxtail Fern, collected
    Cnicus benedictus, Blessed Thistle, JL Hudson
    Salvia amarissima, from trade. These have germinated for me already, so they are viable.
    Anagalis arvensis, Poor Man's Weathervane
    Sisyrinchium californica, Yellow Stone, Park Seed
    Amaranth, Coral Fountain, Select Seeds

Alana

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Alana ~ I would LOVE the Anagalis Arvensis, Poor Man's Weathervane!

I do still have the Buddleia Globosa I'll send you !

Thanks!
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Alana ~ I would also love to try the Tiarella Silverado and the Asparagus densiflorus Meyerii, Foxtail fern (that is beautiful!!), and the Amaranth Coral Fountain please. I just had to add these on.. they're too pretty to pass up.

Thanks!
    Wendy

• sharon5840
    14 years ago

Wendy,

I realized after I posted that your note said 1 trade on the Cerinthe. Thanks so much on the others. I would also like some of these if they are available after others request.

Agastache Rupestris Apache Sunset
    Sedum Autumn Joy
    Moss Verbena

Alana

I would like some of the

Amaranth, Coral Fountain

Thank you both so much.
    Sharon

• jaynine
    14 years ago

I really shouldn't, BUT....
    Wendy~If you still have the Pedicularis crenulata, I'd like to give it a try.
    Alana~If noone else claims them, I'd like to try the Mirabilis elegans & Salvia amarissima.
    Thanks, Ladies.
    Janine

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Alana ~ Please feel free to split up the Amaranth Coral Fountain between Jaynine and I, I don't need a full pack's worth at all!

Sharon ~ I have you down for all your newest requests above.

Jaynine ~ I have enough to split up the Pedicularis so you can try some too. :)

Thanks again everyone,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alana, if there is enough available for someone else as well, I would love to try the
    Asparagus densiflorus Meyerii, Foxtail Fern.

14 years ago

Alana, if any foxtail fern is left I would love to have a few.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Alana,

I would love to try the salvia amarissima if there is enough to go around.

Thanks,
    Lisa

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

Alana,if you have enough,i would love a few of the anagalis arvensis and the amaranth coral fountain.thanks velsgarden

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Wendy~I completely missed Sharon's post requesting the Pedicularis-sorry about that! If you're sure there's enough, I'd be happy with half a dozen seeds. Thanks.

• Bleedfoot
    14 years ago

Put my seeds in the mail yesterday, they should be there soon!

• karendee
    14 years ago

Wendy, if you have any foxgloves or daisy left I would lov some. I think both are on my list but I will go check to be sure. I love both of them

Names Off your list:
    Foxglove Lavender African
    Leucanthemum Shasta Daisy

Thanks,
    karen

14 years ago

A FEW SEEDS I HAVE UP FOR GRABS;

Lobelia Sip. Blue Selection
    Mixed hostas
    Vitex Chaste Tree
    Tall White Beardtongue
    Scabosa Blue Perfection
    Zebra Grass
    Blue Fescue grass
    Salvia cardonna
    Bunny Tail Grass
    Rattlesnake Master
    English Lavender
    Angelica Gigas 2009
    Sweet Autumn Clematis
    Clematis viorna
    Cinderella Milkweed
    Balsam
    Datura Metel la fleur
    White Birch

• karendee
    14 years ago

hibiscusfan
    I would love Cinderella Milkweed (I need to add to my list)
    I already sowed some WS style but would love more.

Karen

• Bleedfoot
    14 years ago

Hibiscusfan-

I would love some Clematis Viorna and white birch!
    I will add them to my list.. Thank you!

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

Hibiscusfan,if you have any left,I would love to have a few of the tall white beardtongue,blue fescue,and salvia caradonna.Thanks velsgarden

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hibiscusfan,

I would love to have the rattlesnake master. Thanlks for offering.

Lisa

I didn't end up mailing yet and with squazon dropping out I have a few under 100.

• conniesc
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • sharon5840
    14 years ago

Hibiscusfan,

If you still have any available I would love to have some of these.

Mixed hostas
    Blue Fescue grass
    Sweet Autumn Clematis
    Clematis viorna
    Cinderella Milkweed
    Datura Metel la fleur

Thank you.
    Sharon

• sharon5840
    14 years ago

Hi All,

I have a couple of things that I am sending to everyone, whether you want it or not, I guess. That saves me from posting and having to sort thru to make sure I don't miss getting it to someone that asks. I just divided what I had equally among everyone. Just easier it seemed to me. First is Iceberg Lettuce. I plant this and cut it like leaf lettuce. I never wait for it to make a head. But if you wanted to you could. The other is White Moonflower Vine. It has such a wonderful scent that even though the blooms only open in the evening the wait is worth it. I saw that someone had it but it was just easier to send it to everyone. You can always trade the extra.

Sharon

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Good Morning everyone,

Hibiscusfan ~ I would love to try the Angelica Gigas 2009 and the Salvia Caradonna if you have enough left to share. I don't need but a few. :) Also the Clematis Viorna if you have a few left. I've never had much luck with Clematis from seed.. but I'll give it one more try!

Everyone else I've got you down for the requested seeds.

Connie ~ Is the mail in date changed to 4/3 or did it stay 3/27?

Thanks!
    Wendy / sassyb.

• blodeuwedd
    14 years ago

Sent mine out today!

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I would like a few of the Salvia cardonna seeds, but only if you have plenty.
    Alana

• karendee
    14 years ago

I am so glad my seeds arrived. If you think I need to send more stamps let me know. Also if you peel your address off my address is under it to use to mail back to me.

thanks everyone! I can't wait to see what I get. I love trading seeds!!

Karen

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

My seeds will be going out tomorrow.Im so excited too!!!

14 years ago

Sorry I only had one small pack of salvia cardonna and velsgarden asked first.

Connie I mailed my seeds in today. Thanks for hosting this swap!!! Getting addicted, oh well its fun.