Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

NEW: 'You Pick Seed Swap' ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~-March

galium
15 years ago

Cracked Pot Gardner's is a Plant, Bulb, Seed, Cuttings, etc. and Gardening Supplies Swap. The Hostesses for this group are Michelle (micyrey) and Mariann (galium).

We are taking sign-ups for our March "You Pick Seed Swap". When you sign-up list 10 different types of Flowering Annuals and Veggie seeds you have to swap. Everyone who signs up will choose who's seeds they would like. It's first come first serve so check back often. Please include a small/inexpensive gift with your seeds. It could be seed envelopes, plant labels, gardening gloves, a gardening magazine (that you've already read), note cards with a nature scene or anything related to nature and gardening.

Sign-ups will be taken until February 20, 2009. We will post all the players and their seeds on February 21, 2009. You will have until February 28, 2009 to choose who you want to receive from. We'll start a new thread on March 1, 2009.

Please read the rules if they are not followed you will not be able to swap with us again. We know that sounds a bit harsh but we've have several member's who didn't follow through, with their end of the swap, last year.

RULES

~All seeds must be sent in a bubble wrap envelope

~Email your address to the person sending to you

~If you are new, to this group, you need to send your seeds first. These seeds must be mailed by the 15th of March.

~All other seeds need to be sent by March 24, 2009

~Post when you mail your seeds

~Post when you receive and let us know what small gift you received

~If anyone has any questions or problems arise with sending on time please contact Michelle (micyrey) or myself Mariann (galium)

Comments (48)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I'm IN I have:
    Orange Oriental Poppy
    Agastache Rupestris
    Agastache foeniculum Licorice Mint
    Esperanza
    Blanket Flower Burgundy (Gaillardia)
    Trumpet Vine
    Angel Trumpet
    Osteospermum
    Mexican Sunflomwer Tithonia rotundifolia
    Crepe Myrtle Voilet/Lavender blooming

I KNOW you said annuals and veggies but this is what I have at the moment I can spare I thought someone might like.
    :) Fran

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Ok I am in too! Welcome back Cracked Pot Gardeners!!!! Hope you all had a great winter break!

I have

Tomato - Mr Stripey
    Tomato - Sampler pack OP varieties (there are 2 or 3 of 7 or 8 varieties, they are individually packaged and labled, I am only counting them as one item because the total will be only 16-20 seeds)
    Tagets - Ternifolia (love love love these little singel marigolds
    Marigold- Burgundy/Gold mixture
    Coneflower - Purple Commercial Pack
    Birhouse gourd - Commercial
    Talinium - Kingswood Gold
    Cosmos - Sulpher
    Stocks - Giant Imperial
    Radish (commercial pack with the variety name torn off
    Jacobs Ladder blue flowered

Is that 10????

Hya Fran and Mariann

Are you ready for SPRING yet!

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran & Frances wonderful to have you join us! Great seed selections.

Here's my list:

Eschschoizia (Calif. Poppy) 'Buttermilk'
    Sunflower 'Pastiche'
    Marigold 'Crackerjack Mixed'
    Zinnia 'Peppermint Stick'
    Lettuce 'New Red Fire'
    Lettuce 'Oakleaf'
    Lettuce 'Merveille de Quatre Saisons'
    Pepper 'Sweet Banana'
    Pepper 'Ancho'
    Tomato 'Mortgage Lifter'

Mariann

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I don't think I have played with this group before, but I am definitely a cracked pot.

I will offer these-all are from my garden except the tomato and the Coleus, which are purchased for 09.
    1. Gossypium hirsutum, Cotton
    2. Zinnia haageana, Aztec Sunset
    3. Verbena speciosa, Imagination
    4. Tithonia rotundifolia, Gold
    5. Tomato, White Wonder
    6. Ruellia brittonia, Blue Mexican Petunia
    7. Coleus, Wizard Sunset
    8. Centaurea americana, Basket Flower, Aloha White
    9. Porphyrocoma pohliana, Maracas, Brazilian Fireworks

1. Dyssodia tenuiloba, Dahlberg Daisy

This is a fun idea!
    Alana

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Alright I am in. I haven't played this group before either poison but this one sounds like a lot of fun. Here is what I have to offer...

1. Rose Campion
    2. Eupatorium Maculatum
    3. Hardy Mix - Cosmos, daisy, gallardia, goldenrod, tickseed coreopsis, liatris, calendula, marigold, rudbeckia, ironweed, joe pye weed, yarrow
    4. Burpees Best Marigold
    5. Catchfly - Hot Pink
    6. Jewels of Opar
    7. Marigold - Simba
    8. Four O Clocks - Mix colors
    9. Gourds Apple

1. Gaillardia

It was a tough decision butttt....

Poison - I would like to claim your list. Yeah! Is the cotton a plant, bush, or tree? Do you harvest it and use it? I have been wanting to try a cotton plant, and I like the rest of your plants also. (I figured if I waited too long it would be even harder to deciede from all the wonderful lists.)

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Alright I am in. I haven't played this group before either poison but this one sounds like a lot of fun. Here is what I have to offer...

1. Rose Campion
    2. Eupatorium Maculatum
    3. Hardy Mix - Cosmos, daisy, gallardia, goldenrod, tickseed coreopsis, liatris, calendula, marigold, rudbeckia, ironweed, joe pye weed, yarrow
    4. Burpees Best Marigold
    5. Catchfly - Hot Pink
    6. Jewels of Opar
    7. Marigold - Simba
    8. Four O Clocks - Mix colors
    9. Gourds Apple

1. Gaillardia

It was a tough decision butttt....

Poison - I would like to claim your list. Yeah! Is the cotton a plant, bush, or tree? Do you harvest it and use it? I have been wanting to try a cotton plant, and I like the rest of your plants also. (I figured if I waited too long it would be even harder to deciede from all the wonderful lists.)

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Sorry about the duplicate. Not sure why that happened it was acting funny when I submited it. Then closed out the browser automatically So I posted it again and wa-la there it was twice.

:-) Anyway - HAPPY VALINTINES DAY EVERYONE

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poison and Tammy-Great to have you with us.
    Tammy we aren't choosing a list yet. We need to wait until the end of the sign up date. Then I'll post everyone's list and then you can choose. So you'll have to wait until Feb. 21st. I know it's hard. LOL
    Mariann

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Uh oh! I almost picked one myself before I read your post Mariann. The "everyone who signs up must pick whose seeds they want" followed by "first come first served, check back often" sounds like you need to choose as soon as you see something you like.
    Thank you for clarifying! That puts a new and interesting twist on it....even more fun!
    Alana

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I am soo sorry.

I was thinking it was "first come first served" in as soon as you see wht you want you better grab it. I didn't mean to pick out of line.

I had thought the others just didn't pick because they were waiting for a list that was "just right"

Thanks for correcting me. I will definately wait and keep my fingers crossed.

Tammy

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

I'm in!!

Here is my list (I do not have many veggies yet)

Amaranth 'Intense Purple'
    Calendula 'Kablouna Gold'
    Lupinus 'Dwarf Fairy Pink'
    Marigold 'Mr. Majestic'
    Marigold 'Starfire'
    Morning Glory 'Grandpa Otts'
    Morning Glory 'Scarlet O Hara'
    Nigella 'Miss Jeckyll'
    Sanguisorba minor (Salad Burnet)
    Radish 'Cherry Belle'

It's sure nice to see the Cracked Pot group back!

Karen

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I would love to get in on this swap. I have missed the cracked pots. LOL

I can offer:
    1. umbrella palm
    2. datura inoxia
    3. vitex agnus castus
    4. calypso red oleander
    5. hummingbird vine
    6.wisteria
    7.beautyberry
    8.agapanthus
    9.coreopsis
    10.joe pye weed ( purple)

Thanks everyone.Linda

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I will have to list my seeds later but I am IN!!! I missed the Cracked Pot Gardeners during the months when we were not trading and am glad to see it starting up again.
    Jeanne

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tammy and Alana-Sorry I confused you. I went back and read what I wrote and it does sound a little cryptic.LOL

Karen, Jeanne and Linda-I'm so happy all of you signed up! I think this will be fun.

Just to clarify for everyone. Sign-ups will be taken until Feb.21st. Then I'll post everyone's seed list. After that you'll have until Feb. 28th to choose who's seeds you want. The reason I said to check back often is so that you'll have an opportunity to see what seed lists are posted.
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• sred98
    15 years ago

Ok...brand new to this, so I hope I am doing it right! And I have no problem sending first. I haven't been on in years! I'm just glad to be back! WOOHOO!

Here are my ten:

1. Belamcanda Chinensis (blackberry lily)
    2. Althaea Rosea (dark purple/pink hollyhock)
    3. Ipomoea Quamoclit (red cardinal climber)
    4. Datura Metel (white with purple edges and center)
    5. Echinacea "Magnus"
    6. Asclepias (either Tuberosa or Viridis-I forgot to mark the bag!)
    7. Cosmos "Bright Lights"
    8. Zephyranthes (mixed pink and yellow rainlilies)
    9. Cobaea Scandens (cup and saucer vine) (Commercial)

1. Lathyrus latifolius (Heirloom perennial pink sweet pea-this is an old Southern variety with good fragrance and heat tolerance)

I hope someone likes what I have to offer!

Shelly

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

Hello everyone
    ok my list is mostly native wild flowers
    these are from my garden
    1. tropical milkweed(silky gold/bloodflower)ok this one is not native LOL
    2. verbena hastata "pink spires"
    3. lance corporal
    these are from Wild Seed farms I will be spliting the packs with you
    4. larkspur (delph. ajacis)
    5. flax"scarlot"(linum rubrum)
    6. petunia "laura bush"
    7. tahoka daisy(machaeranthera tanacetifolia)
    8. mountain garland (clarkia unguiculata)
    9. five spot (nemophila maculata)

1. bird's eyes (gilia tricolor)

I picked these out for a fast growing , fast blooming wild flower spot.
    thanks mariann for doing the post, I'm starting to feel a little bit more possitive, I just always get kinda down in feb I want it to warm up so bad, and the sudden cold spells are depressing. at least I still have my seed swap to keep me buisy.
    by next month I will have so many seed trays started I will be buisy indeed.
    nice to see so many sign ups, welcome back and welcome.
    michelle

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

What great lists everyone is posting! It will be fun to see how it all plays out once the game begins.
    Mine is all ready to go.
    Thanks to Mariann and Michelle for thinking of it.
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I'm back to post the seeds I will be sending:

Licorice Basil
    Geum 'Lady Stratheden'
    Tithonia
    Pink and Yellow Lantana
    Nanho Blue Butterfly Bush
    Rose Campion (fuschia)
    Elephant Head Amaranthus
    Stokes Aster (a bluish-purple flower)
    Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate"
    Tomato 'Italian Ice'

I hope someone will enjoy them. Most of these are saved from my garden. I hope that is okay. Also, a few are from trades. I think only one - the tomato - is a commercial seed purchase.

Jeanne

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shelly-Nice to have you here.

The seeds posted are really great. I can't make up my mind.
    Well we have a few more days for sign ups.

Michelle-I'm glad you're doing better. I get the winter blues too. It's like a big weight on my shoulders. I just keep thinking Spring.

I have seeds to start this weekend. They need to be started 10-12 weeks before I can plant them outside. Anyone else starting seeds soon???
    Hugs

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I just started a bunch of my peppers and tomatoes. And a ton of other stuff (that I know I started too soon but just couldn't stop myself)

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Mariann, I have a BUNCH of stuff that needs cold to germinate. If they dont get out there soon it will be too late for me and I feel like I just can't catch-up of getting them all planted, someone said 'Fran, don't worry about trying to plant them all this winter/spring you can save some for the NEXT WSing period' BUT I WANT to do them ALL now! LOL
    I want to see what the all will look like, to watch them grow, to watch them mature so they can bloom! I am impatient! LOL.
    I know I have to chill...lol

Oh, I DO have my list picked at the moment. I just hope I can get the one I spy...hehe

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I am just about finished with seeds for spring planting, so what ever I collect from this swap will go in the box till next year! Just a few annuals and warm season veggies left to do. I am off to lowes this morning to pick up more soil, most of my seedlings need to be potted UP now..... also looking for good feed for the perennials and tropicals which have their second leaf pair.

;)

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I'll join for this month! I won't be able to post my list until Saturday is that ok?

Sue G.

• riley17
    15 years ago

This swap sounds great, I'm in!

I have to share:
    Cantaloupe: hearts of gold and ambrosia
    polygonum kiss me over the garden gate
    money plant
    basil: licorice, cinnamon, and Minette
    feverfew
    shoofly
    joe pye weed
    chinese lanterns
    japanese white hull less(sp? hulless?) popcorn
    and purple top white globe turnips

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue-That's fine about posting your seeds tomorrow. After you do I'll put up the list of everyone's seeds then we can start choosing.

Tammy-You're a little warmer down there in MD. Two years ago I got spring fever so badly that I started my peppers and tomatoes to early. They were so tall that I couldn't adjust my grow lights any more. The leaves were getting burnt and I was relieved to finally get them in the ground.

Fran-You could always put the seeds in the refrigerator. My DH tolerates me doing things like that. I don't think he likes it much though. I did give him a houseplant to take care of. It's a 26 year old Spath. He knows when to water it and calls it Ralph!LOL He's so funny.

Frances-Maybe you could come over and start my seeds...LOL I'm way behind. Didn't even do any WS.

Riley-Welcome to the Group! Very nice list. Great herbs.
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Fran, you are so much like me when you said "BUT I WANT to do them ALL now!" I have pulled out seeds from my boxes and bagged them thinking these are the ones I will winter sow, but there are way to many in there for me to manage all of them this year. I sow very little after I winter sow - so the seeds either need to make it into winter sowing or they wait a year (--- well, some obviously get swapped, too --- LOL.) The good news is that I don't have many problems with older seeds. Of course, I tend to dump the whole pack into my milk jugs so there are usually lots of seedlings in there.
    Well, back to the seeds for this swap, I haven't taken time to decide which ones I would prefer so I'd better "go in reserve" and read the lists so I will be ready for tomorrow!
    Have a good day!
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

lol

Jeanne and Fran
    I couldn't agree more, get it done and move on to the next thing.... this IS our cold time, if we are lucky we will get a month of really spectacular 'spring like' weather after the cold and then it will be hot and (probably) dry. Seeds really don't have much hope once hot and dry gets here. Best to get all but the hot season plants strong and well established before the water restrictions kick in!

Mariann, if your tomatoes get too tall, cut them back, it makes them much stronger. I do this because my space indoors is very limited. I keep potting up and keeping the top growth trimmed back, so when I plant them out they will have big roots and small tops, they catch up in no time when they are in the garden!

So many plants so little time!

Frances

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

I'll play!!!! Let me check my stock of annual seeds!
    I will post my "You Pick List of Ten" tonight or in the morning. OK??????

I have not swapped with the "Cracked Pot" group before. I will be happy to send my seeds first.

Thanks much!

Annie

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

I'm back...here is my list of "Ten" that I will be sending.....

1. "Kentucky Wonder" Pole Bean (Heirloom)
    2. Dill "Bouquet" Herb
    3. "Green Gold" Hares Ear, Bupleurum rotundifolium
    4. "Lady In Red", Salvia coccinea, Hummingbird Sage
    5. Blue Pimpernell
    6. "Seashells Mix", Cosmos bipinnatus
    7. "Pink Queen", Cleome spinosa (Heirloom)
    8. "Mikado" California Poppy (red)
    9. Poppy "Danish Flag", Papaver somniferum
    10.Peony Poppy Pink/Red mix (double), Papaver paeoniflorum

Great ida for a swap!

Thanks!!

Annie

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie-Welcome

-Wonderful selection of seeds everyone

• smitties
    15 years ago

Ok, I am new to these swaps and would like to join in. (Nothing like waiting til the last minute). I promise, I don't wait til the last minute whenever I get involved in trades.

I have

Gaillardia - Fanfare
    Helenium - Queen of Hearts
    Zinnia - Green Envy
    Cornflower - Yellow
    Balloon flower - White
    Dinosaur Gourd
    Tomato - San Marzano
    Lettuce - buttercrunch
    Dill -bouquet
    Parsley - Dark green italian

I hope someone will find this list to be of use to them.

Thanks, Smitties (Margo)

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Smitties-nice list!

OK this is the last day for signing up for this swap. After Sue posts her list we will close. I will then list everyone's name with their seeds. Then we start picking who's seeds we want.
    Mariann

• sred98
    15 years ago

I am SO READY!!! LOL! I've got my seeds in the envelope, ready to mail! How is that for ready?!? LOL! The hard part is deciding what list to pick-everyone has such great seeds!!! Looks like a lot of heirloom veggies and cottage gardeners...right down my alley! A B-I-G thanks to Michelle (micyrey) and Mariann (galium)for putting this on!

Shelly

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

***Bumping everyone to get in the front of the line***

Opps sorry. Ok I was ready for this one all morning.

***Out of breath as I am trying to speak***
    O.K. I am not good at waiting... So I will keep checking back every couple seconds... LOL

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Tammy I am right there with you, I dont want to miss out on the list I REALLY want...lol

So I keep hitting refresh...lol while sorting seed packs! hehe

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I have my seeds in the envelope ready to go too! Very Exciting! I may have tossed in a few extra packs by 'accident'

;)

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know, I know, I know...Everyone is ready! I did promise Sue I would wait for her to post her seeds. She always has great seeds to share. Believe me it will be worth it! Plus she's been a faithful member of this group since we started.
    Sue we're waiting for you.LOL
    Mariann

• riley17
    15 years ago

Wait, Im sorry, I'm a little confused. Once Sue posts her lists we just email the people who have something we would like and we ask them for it? Or do we post it on here?
    Thanks,
    Holly

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Holly ONCE MARIANN post the COMPILED list we post HERE whose list/name we choose. SO just keep checking I think Susie forgot to post this morning :(

• smitties
    15 years ago

I am waiting anxiously too as the snow falls steadily outside. BRRRRRRRRR My packages of seeds along with the other gardening goodies are patiently awaiting the name of the receiver. I will keep watching.

• riley17
    15 years ago

Ok, thanks Fran! Its ok if she forgot, I'm still sitting here packaging things up. : )

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hey Fran! how's things in your neck of the woods? Hate this weather! Glad we don't have snow, though my bird baths have been frozen solid the last few days!

Frances

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I am SO sorry to be late, here is my list:

Dierama aka "Angel's Fishing Rod"
    Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate Variegated
    Nicandra Variegated "Splash of Cream"
    Rhubarb
    Dianthus "Sooty"
    Carolina Jessamine Vine
    Dutchman's Pipevine
    Strawberry Foxglove
    Bauhinia Purple/White Orchid Tree
    Tecoma Stans

:)
    Sue G

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

OPPPS SUE SORRY I CALLED YOU SUSIE...hehe, soo many things going on around me at the moment, but I guess you COULD be a Susie if you wanted too :D LOL

MARIANN, MARIANN, MARIANN....LIST, LIST, LIST, LIST....LOL

OK waiting and watching to SNAG my LIST....LOL SOOOOO MANY GOOD ONES NOW I AM CONFUSED! I tell you IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH!

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

So excited.... Can't stop checkin.*.*..*

Tam

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

I am outside wintersowing....you gals are to darn funny. My little laptop is just a few feet away, so I guess I will come over and hit refresh periodically! Great selection of seeds by all.....................

Annie

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Me too! I can't wait....
    Marianne, you really know how to keep us in suspense don't you. LOL
    Linda

Annie, I would be outside planting too if I could......

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK ladies I'm going to start a new thread in a few minutes and everyone's seed list will be on it.
    Mariann