Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

UPDATE: Green Team: Pick-a-Seed is headed out tomorrow!

mmqchdygg
17 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm back and both of the Robins have landed back home! Thank you to everyone on the Blue Robin for the lovely trinkets! They will be put to good use! And Red players, you out-did yourselves with two full zippy-bags of seeds! Holy Mackerel!

I have sifted, sorted, separated, and refreshed all the Robins, and they will fly tomorrow! Just like the real ones outside my window today, these 3 robins are starting out FAT!!!

GREEN TEAM PLAYERS LIST (map to follow later)

Your Host: beth_b_kodiak: Beth B
strmywthr3

giverny4me

pamelamarie

lil_green_thumb

ramazz

dem_pa

gardeningdummie

shimla

amy b

mmqchdygg

mariacat

gardenscout

beth_b_kodiak

I will send the Robin to Beth tomorrow, Beth- watch your email for your player's list/info, and other tid-bits.

Comments (73)

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks Stormy and Pam,that had me shook there for a couple minutes. Really glad to show it was just a bit of a mix up. Sure makes a lot more sense this way.
    OK, now, back to the hopeing for delivery to Pam on Saturday. Also hope this is the most excitement for this robin as she flutters her way north. No blizzards or ice storms of postal detours by way of Minneapolis ;o)

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Pamela---TAG your "it!" delivery confirmation#0305 1720 0000 8244 4835

The robin is on its way to Georgia. Robin took off for Pensacola Beach since it was an absolutely beautiful sunny day, I had a heck of a time convincing him to leave the 'chicks' alone and get back to business...hee. Also I found myself without a car till noon today, the real reason for the delay... I took 22 seed pkgs and put 30 back in. re-packed in a large waterproof bubble envie should last a while I think. Nice variety of seeds. I read this thread again before I wrote this and almost died thinking 'wait a minute I just mailed the envie to Pamela whats up!' lol. Went to main P.O. could be in GA tomorrow you never know...
    Thanks Miss Beth for hostessing, Susan/Giverny

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks for letting us know Susan.
    Today I mailed two more "heads up" notes to Kim and Razz. They are #4 and #5.
    Florida sounds very appealing right now. There is a strong cold north west wind here and it makes being outside feel worse than Fairbanks.
    Spring is coming.
    Spring is coming.

• mariacat
    17 years ago

Not to change the subject .. but did anyone read the USA Today , Friday about the Burpee Porterhouse beefsteak tomatoe? and is it worth it? Mariacat

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Glad to hear that a "head's up" is coming my way, since this is my first round robin! Looking forward to it's arrival.

Becky
    ramazz

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Maria, what was the article? How much are they?
    I saw White Wedding Zinnias at something like $5.00 for 25 seeds and balked at the price. Seems seeds are getting more and more expensive.
    I'd be trading just because it is fun but the prices are certainly a good incentive too.
    BB

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Tracking # from USPS says the item was delivered yesterday.Pam, hope you actually got it OK
    Razz, Kim is next,then you. We can start guessing about time for the two of you once we hear from Pam.
    Sunny Skies today, BB

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry Beth!
    Yep, I am talking about the cap, not the top half of the container- LOL! I don't have issues with the top half of containers blowing away, because I 'hinge' them...ie: not slicing all the way around. I leave about an inch uncut under the handle.
    OJ cartons I've hinged this year, too, but on some (for experimentation), I cut out a 'window' on the slanted part of the top of the carton, and duct-taped a saran-wrap 'window-pane' into it...just to see if there's a significant difference in germination/sproutage vs those that only have light coming from where the screw-cap was.

Sorry to confuse you!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Pam, where are you? Is everything OK? Where is our birdie?
    I hate to think the bird has lost his way already,
    Please give up a heads up Pam
    Beth B

• pamelamarie
    17 years ago

sorry #03061070000110514845

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks Pam. Still hoping all is OK in your neck of the woods and that you found some seeds you like.
    BB

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

The next "heads up" and delivery confirmation mail will be going pout tomorrow.
    PO says the robbin landed yesterday. Sounds like she is heading north faster than spring. We had two pretty days but now forecast is for snow.
    My sympathy to all in the upper midwest. Enough is enough.

• lil_green_thumb
    17 years ago

YaY! Got robin today! Mail lady hand delivered it. My mailbox was ran over sometime saturday morning. and the winds knocked it on over. she tried to get it to stay up and couldnt and since no one was home she didnt want to leave it on the porch. We had high winds saturday. So i am going thru it now and will get it back out tomorrow!
    ~kim

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Kim, Seems you are too far south for snow to be the cause of the mailbox wreck. Good thing you have a thoughtful mail carrier.
    It is still very windy and cold here too. Signs of spring are so few but I keep looking.
    Enjoy the seeds, hope you find some things you like.
    Beth b

• pamelamarie
    17 years ago

Hi
    Yes I found some seeds. A lot of great stuff in there but didn't want to take a chance with wasting any so only took a few. Sorry that I've been out of it but right after the robin started flying I found out my fathers cancer was back and this time they only gave him months to live. So trying to come to terms with that. I enjoyed this it was fun but heart wasn't in it. Hope y'all can understand and believe me when I say I'm usally not this dingy. Happy planting to all.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Pam, sorry to hear about your Dad. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Beth

• gardeningdummbie
    17 years ago

sorry to hear about your dad pamelamarie.

-EJ

• lil_green_thumb
    17 years ago

everyone - this is making me crazy because i HATE to be late doing anything! I have worked hard to make sure everything arrives on time. Problem is i have had a stomach firus since like 2am tues morning. (wasnt that long ago i had the dog gone flu and kidney infection - now this) kiddo is 4 hrs away at a state competition. Hubby didnt drop off the seed package for me because there is NO address on it. beth can u email me directly not thru GW the name and addy for next person so i can get this in the mail no later than in the AM?
    Im sorry for the holdup all
    ~Kimberly

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Kimberly:

That would be me. If you don't hear from Beth, send me an e-mail and I will send you my address.

Becky (ramazz@cox.net)
    ramazz

• journey149
    17 years ago

Is it too late to join?

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

I sent the address to Kim on Thursday.Sure hope she is feeling much better by now.
    I keep hopeing for spring as if that will magicly make everything and everyone all OK again.
    Becky have you seen or heard anything?
    Hope everyone is having nice weather. Yesterday here was s gem.

• ramazz
    17 years ago

The robin arrived yesterday and I went through it last night. I will get it moving again as soon as I have a chance to go to the Post Office. Normally I use the self service machine, but this time I will have to go when they are actually open and stand in line. So it will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

This robin needs a little more variety! I added some flowers that weren't previously represented.

Becky
    ramazz

• ramazz
    17 years ago

The robin is on its way to Pennsylvania!

Becky

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anyone up for a little Pick-a-Seed Challenge?

Here's the stats:
    Red is on #7 of 13
    Blue is on #5 of 13
    Green is on #5 of 13

We can pick up some SERIOUS speed once this thing hits New England...
    Let's shoot for 24hr or less turnaround, and get this Robin back home before the Blue Team!

If we pick up enough speed, we might even catch the Red team!

Go Green!!!

• dem_pa
    17 years ago

I received the robin in the mail at noon and stopped at the PO on my way to work at 2:30. I had it for 2 1/2 hours.

It's on it's way to Spencerport, NY in a new Priority box.

Delivery Confirmation 0306 0320 0000 6866 9579

dem_pa

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Wowie! That was speedy. Thanks for playing and for being so prompt. We are now past the half way mark.
    Over the hill and ready to roll.
    BB

• shimla
    17 years ago

I'm just checking in to let you know I've been following the progress of the robin! I'm looking forward to it touching down from gardeningdummbie. Can't say I'll be a quick as dem_pa to ship it back out LOL but I'll do my best for those of you still waiting.

• gardeningdummbie
    17 years ago

Hi Shimla,

I should get the box by monday and will have it out to you by tuesday. Ohhhhhh I can't wait.

-EJ

• mariacat
    17 years ago

Hey, I just got 10" of that white stuff and the ice is on top of it. Slow down, stay safe! I can't get to the deck let to the garden. Look how long it took the Red Soxs to win the Series lol.

• gardeningdummbie
    17 years ago

Hey Guys,

The robin is on it's way to shimla. Confermation # 0306 3030 0003 3711 6934. My Dear huband looked at the box, and said "more seeds?". Yeah, that's what I said, "MORE SEEDS!!".

-EJ

• shimla
    17 years ago

Thank you so much! I'll let everyone know when it touches down and goes back out!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

WOW, we are on a roll now. Looks like this bird is going to zip right through New England. Just in time for spring planting. Way to go ladies and gentleman.
    The next two DC numbers and addresses went out yesterday. Looks like better get the next two out tomorrow.
    Beth

• shimla
    17 years ago

Hi Beth - My DC number and address were in the box today so I'm all set. Just waiting for our birdie to arrive :) I got a small package from a T&M order that I placed so that's going to have to hold me over until the big goodie box comes.

• shimla
    17 years ago

The box is here! I found some pretty things for my garden. Special thanks for the lilac seeds, EJ! And Beth too, for hosting a robin for us! I'm going to try to get it back in the mail tomorrow but I have an early day so might not catch the PO in the morning. If I miss it, I'll have her flying back out to amy_b on Saturday. It's going to NH so it should be a short flight!

• shimla
    17 years ago

I was able to mail out the robin this morning! My DC tag didn't have any sticky stuff on the backing so I used a new slip. The tracking number is 0306 1070 0004 5389 0170. It should be at amy_b's house by Monday. Enjoy!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Green Robin landed at Amy's house yesterday; she'll be forwarding to me ASAP as soon as she can get through it!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

...at Amy's house. She just hasn't mailed it. Putting the responsibility on her DH now to get it back in flight. Will let you know when it arrives at my place.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting Tina. Sure hope it gets going again soon.
    We are close to the end and to the very busy time of year for us gardeners.
    I was away for a long weekend and it looks like my tomato seedlings doubled in size while I was gone. They are the best looking ones I have had in years but, since I was in AK most of the last 10 years maybe I forget how they "Should look"
    Happy Spring everyone.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry about that, Beth.
    She missed the part about my handing off the hostess duties for Round 2, and thought I was the last one for the Robin, and with that thought, knew that I wouldn't have issues with the delay, but then she was beside herself when I reminded her that there were 3 gals after me waiting for the Robin.
    She apologized profusely for the delay. Not sure if she sent the package with her DH yesterday, or today, but it should only be a day to get here from there.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a 'nothing new' update. I'm awful sorry about the delay, kids. While I know it's not in my hands, I feel responsible for it taking so long. Don't worry about if it's gone missing; she's not that type of person. She probably sent it Parcel, although I haven't confirmed that for sure...I didn't want to make her feel more rotten than she already did for not sending it earlier.
    I don't know what the holdup is...she's only an hour and 15 mins away...unless the PO was flooded with Easter mail.
    Will keep you posted.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HOLD ONTO YOUR SOCKS; THE BOX SHOWED UP IN TODAY'S MAIL!!! (not mailed until Saturday, which I sorta suspected would happen since her schedule doesn't allow her to 'move about the country' during the day like a cushy office job does, and neither does her DH's schedule/job, so wasn't sure it really would get mailed mid-week as was indicated)...

That aside, the Robin is going back out in the morning mail, and has DC # 0304 3490 0001 1790 4010 on it.

I took out 12 or 13, put back 14, and added to the 'special' envie for Beth: Scarlet Penstamon & Grey Fog Morning Glory. Hope you like those, Beth!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks Tina, You're a doll. Just glad to know we are moveing again.
    There is heavy frost here again this morning but all the snow had melted so there is some peogress in the arrival of spring too.
    Maria, you got your Heads up note long ago. Are you ready?

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beth- Did you get your prize from the other swap yet? They said it would only be 1 business day to process...

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Robin is officially back in flight. DC reitteration: # 0304 3490 0001 1790 4010

• mariacat
    17 years ago

Wow ... its really coming my way, I almost forgot. I'm flying tomorrow, hope I don't get stuck with this snow storm coming my way tomorrow. I have all day Friday for this box of seeds... when the snow melts.

• gardenscout
    17 years ago

Green robin has landed safely on my kitchen table here in Rhode Island. I am going to spend a leisurely Sunday perusing it and I'll send it home to Beth on Monday.

So many seeds this time around... wow.

• gardenscout
    17 years ago

Sent the robin home to Beth today.

DC 0306 1070 0001 1051 0946

Thanks for a great robin swap. Looking forward to doing it again...

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks Laurie,
    I'll be watching for it.
    Beth

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

The robbin has returned home all fat and chirpy.
    I want to thank all who participated and kept her hopping along.
    Special thanks to Tina who started, planned and provided the start up seeds. The robbin would have not existed without her.
    I just took a quick look at the contents and want to especially thank those who sent me special thank you seeds. That was a very nice and unexpected surprise. I'll find special places for them.
    I already had special plans for the snow man marigolds and they are SO cute. I'm starting those seeds today. Thank you thank you!!!
    A super special thanks too to whoever put in the Anasazi beans. What a treat.
    Now questions:
    1) How do you start the 4 o'clocks. I have "just planted them" twice and never got anything. Tell me what to do so that the third time will be the charm

1. Any tips or clues on the "formosa lilies"? It says constant moisture, like at the edge of a pond or just moist with good drainage??? Or whatever????
      3)Was there anything in there that you were really wanting but did not take???? If it came home, chances are excellent that you can still have it. Just let me know.
      Thanks again to all
      Beth
  • mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

4:00s...I have heard they need a little nick, but I didn't do that last year. I winter-sowed them in near-mud last year, and got fantastic results. I have a pile of things left to still sow- the 4:00s among them. Plan on using the same technique this time. I really liked them last year, and am trying diff't colors this time.
    Dunno on the others.
    HTH!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!