Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrow

new:WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap

greenthumbgrow
15 years ago

Hello Fellow Gardeners,

I would like to possibly start a Water Gardening Seed/Plant Trade. For those of us who have Ponds or Bogs. I wasn't sure how many would be interested in joining...?

Included in the swap could be items like submergable(Oxegenator) plants, floating plants, bog plants, tropicals or grasses to put around the pond or bog.

I will post a note over on the water gardening forum so they will know for those interested.

Once I have 10 people interested it will be a go. I was thinking April/May (I will start a new forum once we have enough interested) so that we would have time to inventory our plant items and slow down a bit from our flower/veggie swapping :-)

This will probably be a list-it/select it type. Where you will list what you have to offer and let the others select from the list.

When you send your plants, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you. Friendly Reminder: If the swap is a hugh success and you select a whole lot of stuff you may need two boxes - Just a note in case. If you do not want to do two boxes just don't select as much stuff from other peoples lists -But it is hard :-)

Post on this forum what types of plants you have to offer and how many you can make like this:

Canna Lily - 3 offers - 2 seeds each - Red

Water Hycinthica - 3 offers - 1 plant each -Light Purple

Water Lily - 1 Rhizome *Possibly I haven't gotten them out of the pond yet to check my babies.

Zebra Grass - 5 offers

White Plumb Grass - 8 offers

Nasturium - 3 Offers (this is not water related however it is one of my favs. around the pond as the leafs look like lily pads :-)

Etc...

**I know on the water forum they exange snails and other stuff like that- This is acceptable but please be sure to package them in the correct manner. Thanks.

This is the start of my list - Just for interest - Don't select any yet until the swap is a Definate.

Thanks for your interested.

Tammy/Greenthumbgrow

Comments (86)

• aquawise
    15 years ago

Tammy I sent you a pic of my covered ponds. I hope to trade someone for a Lotus tuber or two. I have a very cool grass that grows in the water but I cant remember the name ill have to go look it up. It is very tame and variegated I love it. Hurry up May!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will keep my fingers crossed I would like a tuber of lotus also. I never have tried one of those in my pond yet so that would be a new experience for me.

Hightider - Great List - Those plants sound wonderful.

Patricia - Would love to have you join. We are arranging the actual swap date for March with the selecting taking place during the month of April/March.

Aqua - thanks for the photo of your pond coveredthat is perfect. I am going to be trying that next year. I hate scooping gunk out of the pond.

With all these wonderful plants it will be hard to choose which ones i would like to try, Guess I will have to be selective with what I choose cuz I don't think DH will go for a bigger pond anytime soon. (We just put ours in in 2006)

Have had some questions on how the group swaps work...
    (for the newbies to the group swaps I thought I would explain it a little;-)

Normally a group swap will consist of everyone listing what they have to offer. You then select from the lists. You don't have to select from the one that selects your stuff you can select from any. This makes it nice so everyone can get something from others.

EXAMPLE: I have zebra grass Fran really wants zebra grass but I don't want anything she has But I do want something aqua has and aqua really wants something fran has etc... See how that works... So you are swapping but not a 1 on 1 swap. It normally works out wonderfully for everyone because there is a larger selection to choose from.

I would like to start offering stuff around April and have the actual swap take place in may. This will give us plenty of time to select stuff. when we do start the list please add how many offers of each you have to swap so we know.

EXAMPLE:
    Zebra Grass (3)
    Water Lily(2)
    Lotus (2)
    Water Lily -pink (2 Possible0 - Add this if its something you are pretty sure you should be able to swap but haven't pulled it out of the water yet - just so the ones selecting knows it may not be a definate. Be sure to post as soon as you know one way or the other.

One other note: Once we select a mail date I will need to be sure everyone can have their package mailed within 2 days of each other so that I can get them repacked with everyones selected items from all the other swappers (we can't have too long of a delay - We are working with water plants and I want to make sure they arrive to you in good condition).

I am so excited. It sounds like everyone has wonderful selections already. I can't wait to start the swap.

Tammy

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Patricia, I'm so excited about your waterlilies , all those colors are making my head spin! Do you think you'll have enough roots from them to share after only one Fall? And the variegated Iris is also so exciting, and the lotus tuber, wow! Chris

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Can I get in still. I have some aquatic plants. My water lettace and hycanith have done great in the green house and other grasses are ready to go as well. I am excited about this one for sure. But I may need some instructions on getting my plants there in one peice and alive. However this will not be until April or so correct. Hope I can get in on this one.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried to grow the water lily from seed? I purchased some but from what I read at the time it's darn near impossible (??) That's discouraging..lol

Proudgm ~ That's interesting on the water hyacinths.. I don't understand how they must be underwater tho.. Mine floated right on top. Maybe I misunderstood..lol

It has been one insanely crazy (and not in the best way either) weekend for me.. here's to hoping the week brings on better days! lol :P

Hugs,
    Wendy

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

As for the water hycaniths I have no idea why mine have lived and done so well, maybe because they are in the greenhouse, but I have ignored them for the most part they are in a plastic tub with oxygenators and water lettace and give them some fert once a month or so no heater in the water or anything. Greenhouse night temps from 56-59. On a sunny day up to 85 then vent fan comes on.
    I have anacharis, some other submergable my brain is death right now will look it up and post.
    Iris (purple)
    horsetail rush (if it made it) still green though
    Corkscrew grass (unsure seedlings growing well)
    fiberoptic grass (15 trades)
    Umbrella Palm (several trades for sure, it is greenhouse huge now)
    Canna red (2 trades)
    Water lettace (10 trades)
    Water Hycanith (5 to 10 trades we will see how it goes) I am going to up the fert with the longer days) May have more
    sweet flag grass (5 trades)
    Pickerel Rush (not looking so good will let you know. The pond froze in the marginal area and well lets just say I am not sure it made it)
    I may have some other types of rush depending on the seedlings.
    Maybe some reed grass
    I would love some Zebra grass (hint, hint)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok I am here ya'll. SORRY I have been working on my swap stuff and trying to keep up with the other ones I am hosting. Yes, Tammy I noticed you said this was for later, but I am not sure WHAT is gonna happen between now and then LOL...sure didn't see this move this time LOL.

I have had a pond since 2000 we have had various sizes off and on, my SO turned my 25 ft 48' deep pool into a breeding pool for our kois we had. The last pond I dug was 10 x 10 and slanted to 5 ft.

I have lost most of my water plants from moving, we went from well water to city water/public water system and most stuff just don't like to sit in chlorine.
    I had 4 beautiful lotus plants and lost all but 1 of them and it didn't bloom last season so I don't know which one it is!

We ended up losing ALL of the Koi, I was just sickened, we have some LARGE ones and ones we raised too!
    We have some goldfishes in the stocktank now. So one day I will have koi babies again!

I am very interested in Iris' seeds as well. Thanks for that offer Iris!

Wendy, I purchased some of those seeds from ebay too, not one did anything. Maybe it was the chlorinated water. I didn't think about it until it was too late BUT I DID germinate some lotus seeds using the same water but I have heard water lilies are more sensative to chlorine so maybe if you try some more you should get some distilled or spring water OR make sure your water sits out a while. IN summer/hot weather 24 hours is supposed to do the trick, in winter I know for a fact it takes longer because that is one way we killed off the last remaining koi. The water had sat for 24 hours, we thought it was ok. DIDN'T take into account until it was too late that it was cold! Which takes longer for chlorine to disapate.

I have had plenty of ups and down with water gardening some great some really disppointing.

Tammy, I can't get over the no mail either! BUT I realized WHY they don't go down there, it is considered a private road because there is no stop sign at the main road! I hate it, but the SO said we will try to put a box out on the main road but I am worried about doing that too, I know stuff gets gone!
    I think it is safer to do the PO box, OR stop trading as much...WHERE'S the fun in THAT?

I think this will be a super fantastic swap and am very much looking forward to it!

:) Fran

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I forgot to say yes EE is meant for the Elephant Ear Family!
    Sorry everyone I meant to comfirm that for you but I was trying to remember what I needed to say lol.

:)Fran

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

wow sissifriss i hope to have some of your water hyacinth, lettuce and anacharis also! chris

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

oooh Sissifriss you have quite a few things I'd be VERY interested in!! lol

Fran thanks for the info on the seeds, I bet we bought them from the same person..lol Never had any trouble w/ the water hyacinths last year using water straight from my hose, in fact they were multiplying like mad! Unsure about the water here at the 'new' house... I'll have to do some experimenting. :)

Happy Monday everyone :P

~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sissifriss - Great to have you join!.

Yes we would love for you to join our group.

I also see some wonderful things I have been looking for (Fiberoptic grass being the main) I have been wanting some of that for a while!

My gh is not heated at all and the night temps drop dooown so my water plants don't do so well in there. I am considering heating it this year so I can expand what I overwinter.

Fran - Glad to have you back online:-) I was getting worried. I am guessing you are all moved now? How do you like it? I did the same thing with my fishys after they had babies I cleannnned the tank and over cleaned :-" I was very upset. I can only imagine how you felt. You do get attached to those little buggers don't you.

Wendy - Never tried the lilies from seed so I wouldn't be a help there.

OK question to you all... I know you can eat water celery but can you eat water lettuce? Anyone do this?

OK Here is the updated list of current participants...

1. Tammy/Greenthumbgrow
    2. Marian / Lovelyiris
    3. Aquawise
    4. Becky / Proudgm_03
    5. Wendy / Sassybutterfly_08
    6. Kim / misskimmie
    7. Hightider
    8. Lotusbudh2o
    9. Mouse / kin2mice

1. Fran / ncgardengirl
    2. kiddo
    3. grovespirit - Would like to donate seeds to the group. (Can't Join) Only interested in Asian pennywort
    4. grolikecrazy / Chris
    5. patricia_mi / Patricia (snazzypants)
    6. Sissifriss

WOW we are up to 15! Great to have you all join... Anyone else that would like to join please just let us know.

YOU CAN STILL JOIN! ;-)

Tammy

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

I am so glad to join. :) I hope I get to give everyone what they want. I may have more trades than I know once the greenhouse starts having more light I use artificial but they are not great and are overhead so not the ideal set up for water plants. The other submergable is hornwort. I sometimes wish my greenhouse was not heated with the propane bill. LOL. It is insane. I had a much smaller greenhouse the last few years and it was not bad and low and behold I put in a new one with a huge heater and we get this crazy winter. We got 8 inches of snow last night and down to 8 again tonight. Ba hum bug. It is cloudy too which means the heater runs all day. Anyway I keep hoping for spring and the greenhouse does allow me to share in these swaps. I am hoping to sell retail ormanemtal grasses this summer for the first time, it has been interesting to say the least. I am preparing for my nursery inspection. I love this site and trading though because I am forever expanding my garden and have learned so much about other plants on this site and about everything in general. I am very excited about getting plants from all of you as well. What you see on my list is all I have and we are planning on putting in a bigger pond this summer and moving the koi into it and leaving the goldfish in our small one. Oh also I was mistaken my canna is yellow not red (sorry). My brain was really dead last night. Well I hope everyone stays warm.
    Myriah

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Oh yeah as far as grasses ready to go now (for sure)I have
    Blue fescue (5 trades)
    Pony tail (5 Trades)
    Lemon Grass (10 or more trades)
    Indian grass (5 trades)
    Purple Fountain Grass (2 trades)
    Potential trades (MORE THAN LIKELY VERY SMALL TRADES)Pending seedling growth and further germination of current seeds)Will update closer to time
    toffee twist
    Carex bronze
    Carex prarie fire
    Bunny tail grass
    Needle grass
    Bridal veil grass
    Carex secta
    Carex Buchanan (? spelling)
    Cloud grass
    Love grass
    Praire grass
    Prarie Drop seed grass
    Coolio grass
    Juncus Inflexus blue arrow
    Blue grass
    Little Bluestem grass
    Blue eyed grass very poor germination at this point anyone have expereince with this from seed
    Giant reed grass
    Juncus Javelin
    So everyone keep your fingers crossed that current seedling grow strong and current seeds germinate well so that I can share:)
    I thought if anyone is a grass freak like me I would love to share as much as a can. Alot of the carex and of course the juncus types love wet feet which is perfect for the bog area.
    Myriah

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Myriah,

I also am a grass nut! I love them and have them everywhere. So yes I will def. be interested in a couple I know right off. will have to look up a couple I am not sure of.

I also have a ton of grass seeds and will list them later on closer to the day of swap. Keeping fingers crossed on that bunny tail. I have been wanting that for a while. I think it is an awesome grass.

I will be keeping an eye out for things I can get to swap with you all.

Everyone has such great things to offer so far! This is great.

Tammy

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

This is the pond we made a few years ago. Hubby and sons dug out a stump of a tree we needed to cut down. They kept on enlarging the hole until we were happy with shape. We spent lots of time reading all the posts in the pond forum on GW. It's lined with rubber roofing (forgot what it's called, but it's safe for ponds. We used cinderblocks to build the falls and DH devised a filter by pving the water perculate up thught progressive sizes of gravel and sand (large to small) layered in a garbage can. When the filter gets gunked up he reverses the flow ad it "back washes out into a rose bed. All the rocks except for the large flat one on the left were collected by me during my travels over the years. We have kois and comets. The pond has also become home to frogs and other wildlife.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

WOW Myriah you have a super duper list and MANY I saw that I liked lol.

NO Tammy we haven't moved yet, it rained here all day Friday and Saturday and part of Sunday and then Sunday night we had snow. It melted some today, but getting out from down there was a bear!
    It is not supposed to be warmer then 38 tomorrow so not much thawing to be done as a lot of it will be too shaded.

I am hoping by Thursday/Friday ALL will be moved, the animals, the yard stuff everything!

STILL no word on the cable, but we were without power all day today so they MAY have tried to call and just couldn't get through we have digital phone service and a cordless so NO PHONE today.

• aquawise
    15 years ago

WOW! This page is getting very long. I want to add that I found the name for this cool little grass I have growing in my pond. It is called Manna Grass or Glyceria I only have a few trades. Google it and see what you think. let me know what you all think.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kim - Your pond is awesome! That is the goal with mine. I don't have any photos with all the stuff in and around but yours is beautiful! I Plan on taking a ton this year so I have them.

Aqua - I love the grass. It is very short right? it looks like it when I googled. I could def. make a spot for that one.

Fran - Hopefully you will hear something today. That has to be fustrating.

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Kim I love your pond also that is about the size we are going for with the new one.
    I will look that grass up for sure I have never heard of it i don't think.
    I am so ready for spring. :(

• aquawise
    15 years ago

Yes it is only 14" at most it is well behaved and variegated so easy.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aqua - That is perfect for my pond! I am looking for smaller varieties of things

I am also not very familiar with the different types of waterlilies and lotus but i did see some in a catelog that looked like mini one (had smaller lily pads and the lotus was a smaller version also) if anybody posts any that are mini versions please note that as I would most def. be interested in those first. Trying to fit as much in without overpowering the pond with flowers. LOL

-Wishing for spring... sigh...

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hey Tammy, is there a swap date decided for sure yet? When I scroll up a ways.. you have March and then April/March written... did you mean May? :)

Misskimmie ~ that pond pic is GORGEOUS!!! I am getting so excited about mine now..lol

Hugs everyone,
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did mean May. Sorry about that. Sometimes I type faster than I think... LOL

April/May

I was thinking start posting our lists and swapping

Start Lists and selecting: April 1st
    Mail Date: May 11th

Would those dates work for everyone?

Tammy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

It may be closer to mid-April before I can post any LIVE plant offers.. I'll have to order everything I'm offering and after being hit this past 2 wks with $1500 in van repairs.. yeaa.. gonna be closer to mid-April for me! lol If that's ok w/ everyone? I can post seeds starting April 1st tho. That's NOT a problem! lol

~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is fine sassy. I was thinking I will probably list a couple at a time as I find things so if you don't list til mid april that is alright. Just keep checking back so you don't miss any offers.

Tammy;-)

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOOh I am getting excited. I was outside most the day and saw my fishys swimmin around. So excited as last week everything was covered in snow but today felt like summer. Weird weather. But anyway. I can't wait to get my pond going. I am going to be getting my pump and everything up and running soon. I have some new things to add to the mix from one of the swaps I was in so look forward to my list. I will add it on April 1. (Gives me time to finish up my seed swaps.)

I am trying to decide on what plants I want around my pond this year... hard decisions... Anywho feel free to add photos of your ponds to give some ideas. This month I am sure will fly by and soon we will be having new plants;-)

Tammy

• dixiedazzle
    15 years ago

Can I still join? After installing my pond a couple of years ago I've not done much with it, but want to get started on it big time this year. All I have are hardy water lilies. I don't know what colors because my pond gets too much shade & they have never bloomed, but I love the leaves. I'm having some trees cut down so I can have more sun.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would love to have you join dixie!
    The list will start being posted the beginning of April. Be sure to keep checking back so you see what is being offered.

Tammy;-)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Welcome Dixie! That was my nicname from my godparents when I was growing up :)

Just came to check in and say hi to everyone!! :) Getting some other swaps wrapped up.. whew.. I joined alot at once the past 2 months.. time to slow it down a lil. (yea right!) lol

Hugs,
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

bump :P

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Those dates are fine with me. Everyone please cross your fingers for me I have my state inspection for my nursery next friday. I am scared. I think it will go well. I hope. I am knee deep in seed planting so I may not be on as much but i am still up for the swap. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Myriah

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Myriah ~ Congrats to you!! Your own nursery.. wow, that is awesome!! I'm sure you'll do wonderful w/ the inspection. I wish you the best of luck!

This past week I responded to a freecycle ad for pond plants. I was the 2nd person to respond however, so I only got 3 plants, but hey it's a start right? :) She gave me 2 pickerel weeds and one anacharis that stays under water to help oxygenate it. She was a neat person to meet and talk to. She had 5 small ponds in her front yard alone!

We are hoping to dig out for the small pond form I got that great deal on this wkend if we can dodge the rain. I have been putting the pondform all over the yard trying to decide where to put it ! It's a tough decision! The only problem with where I finally decided upon is there is a Japanese Maple only about 6-7ft from the area. I'm just hoping I don't run into any important roots! :P

I *HAD* a 3ft corkscrew willow that was just starting to bud out that I planted last week in the area of the new pond... however my 2 labs thought it great fun to dig it out and chew it to nothingness.... I was soooooooooooooooo mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ughh. I have been avoiding putting them into the smaller pen we made them in the backyard cuz I love them to have the freedome to run all over the yard.. but if they're gonna start this up... not gonna work for me! So far they've dug up a butterfly bush, the corkscrew willow, chewed down 2 forsythias and pretty much anything that 'dangles' they've chewed on. *sighh

Happy Friday everyone!
    ~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Myraih - Let us know how you do on the licensing. CONGRATS!

Wendy - That is the reason DH said no dogs allowed. At first I was :-( but now I am glad we only have a cat.
    Hopefully you at least got a cutting left from the corkscrew to re-root..? Hopefully.

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey everyone,
    I am now pretty much a happy camper. We got phone service, internet, and yesterday satellite TV so I am reconnected with the world! LOL. I have not been able to watch any tv since moving here we had no reception!

Hey aqua, neat name BTW, I would also be interested in that grass if you have another one available.

I am really looking forward to this swap!

Wendy honey, bundle that anacharis. If you let it free float it will clog your pump/filter system. I didn't know it and I put some of it in my and something else I can't remember which one it is anyway, the SO was always cleaning the filter/pump because it would suck it up into it. Finally he got so mad he threw it out of the pond! He told me NOT to put any back in there, even if you have it anchored, pieces will break off and clog it so be careful with it!
    Sorry you lost your corkscrew willow! Those are really pretty.
    Myraih congrats! Let us know how it goes!!!

How is everyone else?

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Doin great Fran!

you know me.... got in a little deep on the swappin ;-) What can I say? I can't stop! Its just too much fun. Missed ya on the swaps I noticed you haven't been chattin as much but completely understand as you have a lot going on with the move.

Just think of it this way. Clean slate with your flower beds ;-)

Tammy

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

bump

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Welcome back Fran! Glad you are settled in and reconnected. :)

Garden is going well here. Several WinterSown things are now out in the patio. Moved some rainbow swiss chard, Osaka purple mustard, Mantovana chicory, Cicoria Catalogna Rossa, and mizuna seedlings outside over the weekend.

Did y'all know that some water and bog plants can be used as edible landscaping?

Some examples which come to mind are watercress, cattail, mints, certain gingers, water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica), water chestnut, lotus (has edible roots), lemongrass, and Vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata). :)

Recently divided a sage plant and gave rooted offsets to a gardening pal who lives nearby; he was very happy to get them. Still need to divide and re-pot several other edible perennial plants. They have been in pots all year and have gotten crowded.

Harvested almost a bushel of collard greens and komatsuna greens recently. Didn't need that much, so we shared with a neighbor whose husband is unemployed. They were delighted, and surprised to see so much food from a 10'x 10' patio. :)

The heirloom bok choy "Tai Sai" has a few dozen seedpods on it. Will collect and dry in a paper bag very soon, otherwise the pods will split open and scatter the seeds everywhere. Wouldn't want that to happen, LOL!!

And the 'Rotonda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa' eggplant has several baby eggplants forming on it. :)

Blooming outside right now are a peach-flowered heirloom zinnia "cut and come again", double flowered magenta Pentas, rose colored gerbera daisy, and portulaca "Giant Bicolor Radiance."

Portulaca is edible but I haven't gotten up the guts to try eating it yet. Young Zinnia sprouts are edible, and I have eaten a few when thinning them out- they seem to taste similar to sunflower sprouts. :)

A lightly fragrant bicolor dianthus, from seeds Medontdo sent me- bloomed last week, and we ate a bunch of its flowers as edible garnish. Left a few flowers on, in hopes of saving some seeds. If it doesn't set seed we may try to keep it going by root divisions.

Trying not to think too much about tomorrow- Friday the 20th- have a surgery scheduled. Instead, best to focus on my patio garden! :)

Also helps to keep busy- gonna be packing up herb seeds for the HERB-ivore swap today, that will be a calming activity too.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Iris, will be thinking about you tomorrow I am sure all will be just fine. After all it IS the first day of spring and MY BDAY lol.

I am excited this year, SO doesn't know it BUT he will be buying me something THIS YEAR!!! I usually don't get anything for Christmas, Valentine's Day, OR my Bday...so I think this year I deserve something, it is also our anniversary it will be our 14th year together.

Wow, I didn't know some of the stuff you listed was edible like Zinnia Sprouts and Portulaca or even dianthus!

I wish I could find some water chestnuts! I have wanted some of those forever. I need some frogbit too.

Heck I need a lot LOL.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is awesome. I didn't know all those water plants were edible. I am going for those ones then. I love incorporating edibles into my landscape as much as possible. Is the watercress like a lettuce type? And do you know if waterlettuce is edible? And where in the world did you find water chestnuts?

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BTW

Grove - how did your surgery come along. I hope everything went fine. Check in and let us know when you are able:-)

Myriah - How did your nursery license go?

Tammy

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Hi greenthumpgrow...been lurking and have seen you ask about the water lettuce and if it is edible.I believe it has no known food value. Here is a link you may find useful in determining what is edible and what isnt. http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s-4-75-281,00.html. Hope it helps.

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

sorry, its been so long since I have posted I have been so busy with the odd warm weather we have been having here in Ohio. I have stuff coming up and cleaning up from winter has been such a wonderful chore!
    It looks like I will have yellow water iris and water celery for sure. I have not yet checked my lilies and I have a couple of those starts promised already so it will be tight to get some for here it will just depend on how much I have to divide off. I will also prob have some horsetails since I stuck them straight into their favorite ground they have gone nuts in the yard. Pretty but nuts.
    This is going to be a great round robin.
    I can't wait!
    squeek squeek!

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha all, my surgery went very well, so TY very much if you prayed for me. :)

The surgical staff were only expecting one problem and they found 2. They did a great job, everything considered.

I am still healing up and sore in spots, but despite this I already feel tons better than I did before I had the operation. :)

I'm very grateful my health is turning around.

About water chestnuts- I don't have a water garden (or water chestnuts) right now but I used to grow them when I lived in Calif.

Some large cities such as San Francisco, CA and Houston, TX have a Chinatown. In Chinatown there are Asian veggie markets that sell fresh, unpeeled water chestnuts when they are in season. If you put an unpeeled fresh water chestnut in a water garden it can grow and multiply.

Also, water chestnut is sold by a website that specializes in water plants. If you want the specific info please email me, so I can avoid spamming everyone with a merchant URL.

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Tammy, thanks for asking. I PASSED :) Now if I could afford to hire someone to help me. Maybe next year. My poor dog had an accident yest. We think she may have caught someone trying to break in the house and she ended up with a huge very deep laceration in her neck for which she had emergency surgery for last night. She is ok thank goodness. But what a scare. I hope everyone else is ok. Talk to you all soon.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great to hear you passed.

Sorry to hear about your dog. We had someone break in our house 3 years ago. We came home and they were in the house we actually watched her run out the front door. The police gave us a hard time when we reported it. I was very fustrated about the whole ordeal. I think she knew the officer in charge or someone who worked there. Its the only thing I can think of as to why the officer gave us the hard time instead of her. (She lived next door to us belive it or not! And we live in a pretty nice neighborhood. Luckly she moved and we haven't had any problems since) I wish I would have had a dog to protect and serve. LOL -BTW I Hope your dog gets better.

Tammy

• sissifriss
    15 years ago

Tammy how scary and frustrating. I can not imagine that situation. Thanks for your thoughts. She is pitiful. Now she is trying to scratch at it and she has 12 stiches and a drain. How do you tell a dog not to scratch. :(

• hillbillygal
    15 years ago

HI Everyone I would love to join your swap!! I have a galvanised water trough that i use as a pond lol and this year I am adding another pond, I have some plants i can trade but I dont know the names of them but I can send pictures of them I collect plants from all around the creeks, and lake(out my backdoor)and bring them back to grow here and they do good. I am new to GW so not sure of what I need to do, Please just let me know
    Kim

• dbailey
    15 years ago

Greetings all! I am interested in joining this little group. I will have a few white hardy water lilies and some yellow hardy water lilies once the snow clears. I also have seed from my Empress Lotus from last season as well as a few tubers when it warms up. Not much else right now as the pond was new last fall (7000 gal.) but I really need plants to stock it up with. I have some hostas as well which would look great around your pond. Old fashioned whites which are over 22 yrs old to my knowledge. Looking for red and white bog lilies, water celery, arrowhead, Angel Wing and other lotus, and tropical lilies. Let me know if any one sees a need.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

dbailey I for one would love to have your white and yellow water lilies. I lost all mine.
    It was funny too because I took them to a plant swap and swaped the all away then lost them at same year! Isn't it always the way?

I can't wait for my plants to wake up. I am so ready for spring!
    Tammy did you decide for sure when you were gonna do this one for positive?

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alright everyone I just started a new forum for this thread...

PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS ONE ANYMORE AS I WILL NOT BE CHECKING IT.

Title of the new forum:
    WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap #2

Here is the link...
    Click Here