Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new:WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap

Posted by greenthumbgrow 7 - MD (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 11:28

Hello Fellow Gardeners,

I would like to possibly start a Water Gardening Seed/Plant Trade. For those of us who have Ponds or Bogs. I wasn't sure how many would be interested in joining...?

Included in the swap could be items like submergable(Oxegenator) plants, floating plants, bog plants, tropicals or grasses to put around the pond or bog.
I will post a note over on the water gardening forum so they will know for those interested.

Once I have 10 people interested it will be a go. I was thinking April/May (I will start a new forum once we have enough interested) so that we would have time to inventory our plant items and slow down a bit from our flower/veggie swapping :-)

This will probably be a list-it/select it type. Where you will list what you have to offer and let the others select from the list.

When you send your plants, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you. Friendly Reminder: If the swap is a hugh success and you select a whole lot of stuff you may need two boxes - Just a note in case. If you do not want to do two boxes just don't select as much stuff from other peoples lists -But it is hard :-)

Post on this forum what types of plants you have to offer and how many you can make like this:

Canna Lily - 3 offers - 2 seeds each - Red
Water Hycinthica - 3 offers - 1 plant each -Light Purple
Water Lily - 1 Rhizome *Possibly I haven't gotten them out of the pond yet to check my babies.
Zebra Grass - 5 offers
White Plumb Grass - 8 offers
Nasturium - 3 Offers (this is not water related however it is one of my favs. around the pond as the leafs look like lily pads :-)
Etc...

**I know on the water forum they exange snails and other stuff like that- This is acceptable but please be sure to package them in the correct manner. Thanks.

This is the start of my list - Just for interest - Don't select any yet until the swap is a Definate.

Thanks for your interested.

Tammy/Greenthumbgrow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new:WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap

I don't know what all I'll have to share in May but sign me up. Someone will have to email me because I do not log in here regulary but I do have several ponds and creeks on my property. I'm always looking for new plants to add interest to the creekbeds and the koi ponds.

Happy WaterGardening and exchanging plants,
Marian

o

Sign me up I have 3 ponds and 2 tanks in my greenhouse. I just pulled the winter covers from the ponds. I have elodea and eel grass, and chara all year in the tanks. Have many, many plant in the ponds.

o

Welcome Marian and Aquawise.

I started the forum early hoping to get at least 10 people signed up! This is exciting. I love watergardening and haven't seen any group swaps for them so decided to start one. I know I always have one or two types that over populate and I wanted to share while getting some new ones.

Great to have you both

Come on Lurkers we know your there :-)

-Tammy

o

Bump... Bumpety... Bump. :-)

o

Tammy I would like to join but the only thing I have to offer is red canna and lots of seeds. I lost all my water plants this winter as I lost my pond due to a leak and will be starting over. I would like to join if anyone would be interested in what I have.
Becky

o

Red Canna's are good, are you needing plants to restock your pond? Is your pond cement? We are here to help!

o

I love red canna's also so yes please do join! (and everyone always needs flowers to go around the pond also ;-)

OK a little about my pond... It is about only a small one 4x8 with the deepest part being around 4 ft. the shallow end being 1 ft. We have 8 goldfish and I now have a waterfall off the rock behind (and if you go to my trade page I just posted photos of me and my daughter building it back in 2006 - on the left side toward the bottom) I will post some spring photos with how it looks now as it looks totally diff with all the plants and water feature. I should had took photos last year but just got busy and forgot.

come on lurkers I am aiming for at least ten people. This is a great start.

Tammy

o

I think everyone may have more than they realize even if its seeds to some of the Bog Plants. So I did some research and here is a quick list of some plants that can be included (but not limited to this list...)

Bog Plants

Arrowhead
Bacopa – Lemon
Bluebells
Bog Lily
Calla Lilly
Canna Lilly
Cattails
Dwarf Cattails
Chameleon Plant
Clover – Varigated
Creeping Jenny
Fiber Optic Grass
Fireball Hibiscus
Red Night Hibiscus
Rose Mallow Hibiscus (aka Marsh Hibiscus)
Horsetail – Tall
Lavender Musk
Lizards Tail
Lobelia – Blue
Lobelia – Queen Victoria
Marsh Betony
Dwarf papyrus
Dwarf Giant Papyrus
Egyptian papyrus
Parrots Feather
Pennywort
Pitcher Plant
Primrose Creeper
Rain Lily
Rush – Corkscrew, flowering, gold strike etc…
Pickerel Rush
Sensitive Plant
Society Garlic
Spider Lily
Star Grass
Sweet Flag
Taro
Thalia Delbata
Umbrella
Water Celery
Water Cress
Water Mint
Water Plantain Babies
Water Willow

Oxygenators:
Anacharis
Hornwort
Parrots Feather

Floaters:
Duckweed
Fairy Moss (Slightly different than duckweed has a ruffled edge)
Frog Bit
Water Hyacinth
Water Lettuce

Others:
Lilies
Irises
Lotus

Please specify if its seed or plant or rhimzome when making your list... :-)

Thanks,
Tammy

o

Hey Tammy.. girl you are gettin' me in so much trouble w/ all these great swaps! LOL

I have been lurking for days now, I am starting a brand new pond this year, and 2 smaller water features. I don't have ANY pond plants yet.. but do have some seeds. I am sure I could at least buy some things to trade..lol I would really love to join in and since I have til May to buy, I think I can handle it :)

Count me in!! I am very happy to make some new water gardening friends!!

~Wendy

o

AHHHH, Another swap...hmmm.....should I or shouldn't I ? We have a pond with waterfalls. Made it a few years ago. Don't know what I have to swap...(it's all under lots of snow) ... but I'm sure I can find some neat stuff once the snow melts. Ok count me in. I've never done a wet feet swap before.

kim

o

Welcome Wendy and Kim...

We are glad to have you and I look forward to swappin with you and seeing pond pics in the next month or so... **hint hint** I like seeing garden photos gives me good ideas;-)

OK So far we have

1. Tammy/Greenthumbgrow
2. Marian / Lovelyiris
3. Aquawise
4. Becky / Proudgm_03
5. Wendy / Sassybutterfly_08
6. Kim / misskimmie

Alright! Come on lurkers signup and lets have some fun!

Tammy

o

Ok we have two more. Yeah!

Great to have you both join Hightider and Lotusbudh2o

Lets start the group telling about your pond and some tips so everyone will get to know each other.

I started my pond in 2006 I was a complete newbie. I Loved my pond and it is my fav spot in my yard. My daughter helped me dig it and set it up. To see the photos of us putting it in go to my trade page and it on the right toward the bottom :-) I currently have 8 goldfish.

My tip to Newbies:
Don't go on a cleaning spree. I had Koi and in 08 they had babies they were doing great and I got the idea to clean the pond really good for the little ones. Well I over cleaned and the fish died. I didn't know at the time I was getting rid of the bad and good algae and all my koi died :-(

Well I was very sad and I got some goldfish cuz they were cheaper at the time and now they are getting big and I'm attached. I am keeping my fingers crossed on getting some babies in the next year to two.

1. Tammy/Greenthumbgrow
2. Marian / Lovelyiris
3. Aquawise
4. Becky / Proudgm_03
6. Kim / misskimmie
7. Hightider
8. Lotusbudh2o

Ok. So far I have been in swaps with Kimmie, Proud_GM and Sassy so I will pick on you guys first... hehehe. Tell us about you ponds:-)

Sassy I would really like to know more about your 2 water features you are getting ready to add also.

Pretty Please.

Tammy

Don't i wish this was my pond...

o

Oh! This sound like so much fun! Can I join or has it been closed already? (there were so many posts it was hard to tell LOL). My pond is small but lots of fun.

Hope to trade with you all.
Mouse

o

Tammy, my pond isn't that big anymore and I sure do miss my plants. I WOULD love to join this one, but I am SURE I don't have that much to share UNLESS EE's count. I may have some of those babies to share.
I WISH you would have choosen this one later lol. It sure looks like it is going to be WAY promising!
I am SURE I will have some of these:
Thalia dealbata but I bet everyone else dose too.

I am a thinker for the moment, is that ok?

:) Fran

o

I would like to join ,my pond is small but I have more plants than fish. I'd be happy to share
Kiddo

o

ok Fran, this might be a dumb question.. but what is an EE? lol :P

Ok my plans...LOL
I have 2 smaller fountain type plans that I will be setting up as soon as the freezing weather goes AWAY! One will be on the front porch, the other.. I'm not sure where yet..lol Those are no bigger than maybe the size of a 1/2 wine barrel so no HUGE need of plants really there... altho I've got lots of research to do on how to keep the water 'good'. There's LOTS of mosquitos around here in the summer, and I def don't want to be providing MORE breeding grounds.. so I may plunk a goldfish or 2 in each smaller feature just for that reason!

My great BIG plan is a small pond w/ a bridge, and a small waterfall (already have the hill) down to a larger pond closer to the house. That will take about a year or two.. So far I have just purchased the pond form for the upper, smaller 'pond'. I have been eyeing this pondform all winter at H.Depot.. the price kept getting lower and lower.. finally nabbed it at $60 for a complete pond form including pumps, hoses and etc! This is mainly what I'm doing the swap for as I have no aquatic plants/creatures at all YET... but I'm researching and w/ the deadline of this swap I'll have purchased a few things by the time they're due. I have a beautiful idea of the outcome in my head.. I'm nervous tho. I'm one of those that kill their goldfish in the aquariums constantly whenever I use that dang ph modification drops. *sighhh.... I want to do this the natural way, to have the 'right' plants to oxygenate it, the right creepycrawlies to eat the gross algea, and some inexpensive fish to start with to eat all the mosquitos! :) Am looking forward very much to learning from all of you :)

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Well

Welcome Mouse, Fran, and Kiddo! Great to have you join! So here is the list:

1. Tammy/Greenthumbgrow
2. Marian / Lovelyiris
3. Aquawise
4. Becky / Proudgm_03
6. Kim / misskimmie
7. Hightider
8. Lotusbudh2o
9. Mouse / kin2mice
10. Fran / ncgardengirl
11. kiddo

Yeah! the swap is a definate.

Fran - Not sure if you noticed I am not going to be doing the swap part until closer to May due to the fact that most of us still have ice on the pond. LOL I wasn't sure what EE is either and no I don't have the flower you mentioned so you can count me for one. LOL

I just wanted to start it in advance for two reasons. I thought maybe we'd get a bigger swap with more to choose from and to kill off the winter blues. ;-)

Glad to have you all interested!

Whos next to tell about their pond and give us some tips... (Wendy - I need all the help I can get also. I don't want to make anymore mistakes like last year:-)

Tammy

o

FROZEN WATER! Me and daughter went outside today because the pond was thaw to scoop leaves. My hands got wet and let me tell you I am still having trouble typing... Burrr. My fish survived the freeze. Accidently caught one (of course I put it back ) but he was flippin. I will try and get a winter photo of the pond if it freezes again.

We also cleaned up the greenhouse and got all the trays filled with dirt and replaced the moss in my hanging baskets. Today was my outside cleanup day. Now if only I could find my digi camera to take some pics. Son was playing with it and I think he hid it. errr.

Tammy

o

Thanks so much for letting me join! I am so excited. I don't like the ice but... it is thawing! Yeah spring is almost here! (well one more month and I can celebrate even more) my pond is a small prefomed kidney shaped thing. I don't have much plants but.. I can steal from my mum who has an old bath tub pond. I unfortunality I all ready have most of my water lily spoken for (unless they have divided even more then I estimated.. which has happened before lol).
I always have yellow water iris, horsetail (never ever plant it in the ground like I did unless you want it forever! lol), hornwort, water celery (again don't plant it in the ground keep it in pond...), and prob a few other things if they survive. I am not really going to be expanding my yard is too small but.. I love getting and trading and finding new things.

Can't wait! Yeah!
Mouse

o

Due to agricultural restrictions on sending Hawaiian live plants to the mainland I cannot send plants in swaps such as this. Bummer.

But if any of you folks want some sensitive plant seeds, red 'Texas Star' hibiscus seeds, Asarina scandens (handles wet feet very well), or Dietes vegeta (African Iris) seeds, please email me. If there's interest I'll send them in to the hostess so she can distribute them. :)

o

Grovespirit. I just sent you an email with my addy. Please let me know if you don't get it.

I am sure some of the other would LOVE to have some of your seeds. I know I am def. interested in the sensitive plant that is the same as the 'tickle me plant' I believe and my daughter has been wanting one of those.

We would love for you to still join and I can make sure your package gets only seeds if that would help.

Thanks for your generous offer.

Tammy

**That reminds me. Once the lists are posted I would like for each member of the swap to make sure that any plants they accept to their package are not restricted in your state. We don't want anyone to get any fines for having things you are not suppost to. - This goes for any swapping but just wanted to remind you. **

Tammy/Greenthumbgrow

o
Aquawise... Tip please

Aquawise,

I was reading the 1st winter survivor forum and am wondering What kind of cover you use on your pond? I am interested as you said you hardly have any spring cleaning...***now Im jealous** I was mucking leaves today (and my hands are still freezing).

Please give me your tip.

Tammy

o

Count me in, somebody slap me, another swap is the last thing i need! But my pond needs it! Chris

I don't have much though, since everthing gets winter killed in my pond, but it's been harder and harder to find water plants these last few years. I love water lettuce, and hyacinth, water lilies, and anacharis, my yearly purchase.
but i only have a few water plants:
.yellow water iris starts (unlimited), it reseeds everywhere.
.umbrella plants - cyperus alternifolia somewhat unlimited , if i can untangle the roots)
. dwarf catail seeds (few)
.calla lily bulbs (few)
Might have to look up others. Chris

o

I believe EE is elephant ears.

I started a new pond last year (a 6 ft galvanized stock tank) because my preformed pond that I had was too small. It had been sitting in my neighbors field for years and was never used so I asked him if I could have it. Well, I noticed during the summer that it had a slow leak. Then one day I went out and most of my water was gone. Stupid me grabbed the hose (well water, I guess you can see where this is going) and filled it up. Killed almost all of my goldfish (some 6 inches long) except the babies. It drained out again and I caught the babies and moved them and the water lilies to the bathtub I use to water my horse. I put an electric deicer in it hoping to keep everything until spring. But that went dry and I lost it all.

I am going to buy some underlay and a liner, bigger pump and filter system and start it up again. I want to use the preformed pond as a skippy filter and put in a waterfall. I would like to move it from the flower garden (full sun) to the front side of the house where it will receive afternoon shade. And I'll be able to sit in the swing and listen to the water. That will be a lot of digging and since I am physically unable to do it all, and hubby refuses, I will have to hire out to have it done.

o

Proudgm ~ those sound like wonderful plans! Mine will be in part shade as well. I'm just hoping I can keep the labs out of it! Took them to the park this past wkend and there were lots of the Canadian geese and the female lab was pulling soooooooo hard on the leash trying to go in the lake after them! The male lab preferred to just watch. heh

Tammy ~ where is this first winter survivor forum? and another note, I love your trade page! How and where do you get the format to do that? I'd love to learn!

Iris ~ I, for one would love some of your seeds, I think they would be most welcomed by everyone here!

The only water plants I had were water hyacinths and I had them literally in a rubbermaid tote w/ water waiting on our move last year. I had no idea that they would not withstand the winter. I looked the other day and they are pure mush. I'm so bummed cuz they were multiplying like rabbits and I was so excited to see a bloom and couldn't wait to add them to my pond this year! Is this the norm? If so, what DO people do w/ plants that can't withstand the winter? Is there a really good site out there that teaches what can withstand it and what can't? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! :D

~Wendy

o

Chris. Can't slap you I love your plant list and can't wait to share;-)

I agree with sassy. Everyone has some wonderful seeds/plants listed. We are really racking up some people and the swap should be great. The more people we have the better the selection. So even if you only have a few please sign up and have fun!

Tammy;-)

o
guess...

Oh Fran, I did finally figure out EE was elephant ear? And you know what I don't have any.

Oh and if you want to start one of the games you usually play on the RRs I would not be disappointed ;-) hint hint I would start it but I am not good at that kind of stuff.

I may be able to add a surprise for the winner to their package to make it more interesting. (U don't have to I know with the move and all your busy) I still can't get over No Cable or internet or MAIL. What willl you do...

Tam

Come on Lurkers I know your their. If you have even one thing to share we would love to have you join. We are not a picky group :-)

o

OK, glad there is interest! Please email me the hostess' snailmail addy so I can send in the seed donations. :)

I have a teensy (10'x10') garden with no water feature, and a teensy gardening budget too, so I'd rather not join the swap. Thanks for the offer though! :)

The only water plant I have any use for is Gotu kola (Asian pennywort), scientific name Centella asiatica. But because of all the plant importation rules they have here, it might not actually get to me even if someone tried to send me some rooted cuttings. Might get stopped by agricultural inspectors and dry to death while waiting for inspection. :/

I may ask my Lowes customer service desk if they can special-order me one, since they do sell some water garden plants.

o

sassy, I think I read on the pond forum that if they (water lily) are under 2 ft of water they should be okay. I don't think any of the oxygenators surive the cold in my zone. I suppose you could overwinter water lily in a container in the house.

o
RE2: new:WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap

I just got the email from Tammy that has her mailing address in it, thanks. :)

o

Sassy - Thanks on the page. I used html code to create it. If you have a html generator like frontpage it is easier. Just make the page and paste the code into the spot where you normally type and wa-la you have the design.
I think it was under the Aqua Plant Exchange link... I may be wrong as I have been all over the place and was reading a bunch. If I find it again I will email you the link.

Tammy

o

I know wht you mean about the water hyinthica I lose mine every year I triied bringing them in the house in an aquarium but that didn't work either. Not sure how to over winter. If anyone knows please tell us your secret;-)

Tammy

o

Looks like I have missed out on some important talk here.OK I will have to trade when the weather breaks. I will up date as things get growing.
Elodea
Val Grass
Variegated water celery
Variegated Iris
Creeping Jenny

o

Great list Aqua! I know what you mean about the weather I can't do any yet either. Hopefully sooner than later. Maybe if everyone starts giving me a heads up when they are able and once the majority are we can complete the exchange. If someone is a lot later than the rest we could do individual exchanges with them. I was think May we could actually start the exchange. Does that sound good to everyone, I was thinking may so that most everyone should be able to join.

o

plants avaiable for trade, atractiob water lilie 3 trades,Shiroman lotus lilie three rades,zebra grass 3 trades, fountain grass,3 trades,Colo.And alocasia some ready to send some not up yet have colo.hi lo bay, black magic, black runer,diamond head,jacks giantand large green from wall mart no name,also water hycinth,alltypes of grases,umbrella plants not up yet,cana lilies,lets trade hve two large fresh water ponds,one salt and 4 plastic ponds.other water plant to just cant recal at moment;

o

Hi Tammy,
Here I am. I would love to join your water,garden, plant exchange. I have waterlilies, lotus. They are down deep(16") in the pond ice and snow covered. I also have some yellow and purple pond iris, and ? plants. I will not know who besides the Koi is down there until spring. I have some Caladium mixed bulbs that I will be planting in containers around the pond too. The pond lilies are, white, yellow, peach, red, and pink, or at least thats what I had when I put them down into the pond last fall. There should be lotus down there too, but if not I have lots of lotus seeds to share too. Just can't wait for spring:)
Patricia

o

Tammy I sent you a pic of my covered ponds. I hope to trade someone for a Lotus tuber or two. I have a very cool grass that grows in the water but I cant remember the name ill have to go look it up. It is very tame and variegated I love it. Hurry up May!

o

I will keep my fingers crossed I would like a tuber of lotus also. I never have tried one of those in my pond yet so that would be a new experience for me.

Hightider - Great List - Those plants sound wonderful.

Patricia - Would love to have you join. We are arranging the actual swap date for March with the selecting taking place during the month of April/March.

Aqua - thanks for the photo of your pond coveredthat is perfect. I am going to be trying that next year. I hate scooping gunk out of the pond.

With all these wonderful plants it will be hard to choose which ones i would like to try, Guess I will have to be selective with what I choose cuz I don't think DH will go for a bigger pond anytime soon. (We just put ours in in 2006)

Have had some questions on how the group swaps work...
(for the newbies to the group swaps I thought I would explain it a little;-)

Normally a group swap will consist of everyone listing what they have to offer. You then select from the lists. You don't have to select from the one that selects your stuff you can select from any. This makes it nice so everyone can get something from others.

EXAMPLE: I have zebra grass Fran really wants zebra grass but I don't want anything she has But I do want something aqua has and aqua really wants something fran has etc... See how that works... So you are swapping but not a 1 on 1 swap. It normally works out wonderfully for everyone because there is a larger selection to choose from.

I would like to start offering stuff around April and have the actual swap take place in may. This will give us plenty of time to select stuff. when we do start the list please add how many offers of each you have to swap so we know.

EXAMPLE:
Zebra Grass (3)
Water Lily(2)
Lotus (2)
Water Lily -pink (2 Possible0 - Add this if its something you are pretty sure you should be able to swap but haven't pulled it out of the water yet - just so the ones selecting knows it may not be a definate. Be sure to post as soon as you know one way or the other.

One other note: Once we select a mail date I will need to be sure everyone can have their package mailed within 2 days of each other so that I can get them repacked with everyones selected items from all the other swappers (we can't have too long of a delay - We are working with water plants and I want to make sure they arrive to you in good condition).

I am so excited. It sounds like everyone has wonderful selections already. I can't wait to start the swap.

Tammy

o

Patricia, I'm so excited about your waterlilies , all those colors are making my head spin! Do you think you'll have enough roots from them to share after only one Fall? And the variegated Iris is also so exciting, and the lotus tuber, wow! Chris

o

Can I get in still. I have some aquatic plants. My water lettace and hycanith have done great in the green house and other grasses are ready to go as well. I am excited about this one for sure. But I may need some instructions on getting my plants there in one peice and alive. However this will not be until April or so correct. Hope I can get in on this one.

o

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried to grow the water lily from seed? I purchased some but from what I read at the time it's darn near impossible (??) That's discouraging..lol

Proudgm ~ That's interesting on the water hyacinths.. I don't understand how they must be underwater tho.. Mine floated right on top. Maybe I misunderstood..lol

It has been one insanely crazy (and not in the best way either) weekend for me.. here's to hoping the week brings on better days! lol :P

Hugs,
Wendy

o

As for the water hycaniths I have no idea why mine have lived and done so well, maybe because they are in the greenhouse, but I have ignored them for the most part they are in a plastic tub with oxygenators and water lettace and give them some fert once a month or so no heater in the water or anything. Greenhouse night temps from 56-59. On a sunny day up to 85 then vent fan comes on.
I have anacharis, some other submergable my brain is death right now will look it up and post.
Iris (purple)
horsetail rush (if it made it) still green though
Corkscrew grass (unsure seedlings growing well)
fiberoptic grass (15 trades)
Umbrella Palm (several trades for sure, it is greenhouse huge now)
Canna red (2 trades)
Water lettace (10 trades)
Water Hycanith (5 to 10 trades we will see how it goes) I am going to up the fert with the longer days) May have more
sweet flag grass (5 trades)
Pickerel Rush (not looking so good will let you know. The pond froze in the marginal area and well lets just say I am not sure it made it)
I may have some other types of rush depending on the seedlings.
Maybe some reed grass
I would love some Zebra grass (hint, hint)

o

Ok I am here ya'll. SORRY I have been working on my swap stuff and trying to keep up with the other ones I am hosting. Yes, Tammy I noticed you said this was for later, but I am not sure WHAT is gonna happen between now and then LOL...sure didn't see this move this time LOL.

I have had a pond since 2000 we have had various sizes off and on, my SO turned my 25 ft 48' deep pool into a breeding pool for our kois we had. The last pond I dug was 10 x 10 and slanted to 5 ft.

I have lost most of my water plants from moving, we went from well water to city water/public water system and most stuff just don't like to sit in chlorine.
I had 4 beautiful lotus plants and lost all but 1 of them and it didn't bloom last season so I don't know which one it is!

We ended up losing ALL of the Koi, I was just sickened, we have some LARGE ones and ones we raised too!
We have some goldfishes in the stocktank now. So one day I will have koi babies again!

I am very interested in Iris' seeds as well. Thanks for that offer Iris!

Wendy, I purchased some of those seeds from ebay too, not one did anything. Maybe it was the chlorinated water. I didn't think about it until it was too late BUT I DID germinate some lotus seeds using the same water but I have heard water lilies are more sensative to chlorine so maybe if you try some more you should get some distilled or spring water OR make sure your water sits out a while. IN summer/hot weather 24 hours is supposed to do the trick, in winter I know for a fact it takes longer because that is one way we killed off the last remaining koi. The water had sat for 24 hours, we thought it was ok. DIDN'T take into account until it was too late that it was cold! Which takes longer for chlorine to disapate.

I have had plenty of ups and down with water gardening some great some really disppointing.

Tammy, I can't get over the no mail either! BUT I realized WHY they don't go down there, it is considered a private road because there is no stop sign at the main road! I hate it, but the SO said we will try to put a box out on the main road but I am worried about doing that too, I know stuff gets gone!
I think it is safer to do the PO box, OR stop trading as much...WHERE'S the fun in THAT?

I think this will be a super fantastic swap and am very much looking forward to it!

o
scatter brained I am

I forgot to say yes EE is meant for the Elephant Ear Family!
Sorry everyone I meant to comfirm that for you but I was trying to remember what I needed to say lol.

:)Fran

o

wow sissifriss i hope to have some of your water hyacinth, lettuce and anacharis also! chris

o

oooh Sissifriss you have quite a few things I'd be VERY interested in!! lol

Fran thanks for the info on the seeds, I bet we bought them from the same person..lol Never had any trouble w/ the water hyacinths last year using water straight from my hose, in fact they were multiplying like mad! Unsure about the water here at the 'new' house... I'll have to do some experimenting. :)

Happy Monday everyone :P

~Wendy

o

Sissifriss - Great to have you join!.

Yes we would love for you to join our group.

I also see some wonderful things I have been looking for (Fiberoptic grass being the main) I have been wanting some of that for a while!

My gh is not heated at all and the night temps drop dooown so my water plants don't do so well in there. I am considering heating it this year so I can expand what I overwinter.

Fran - Glad to have you back online:-) I was getting worried. I am guessing you are all moved now? How do you like it? I did the same thing with my fishys after they had babies I cleannnned the tank and over cleaned :-" I was very upset. I can only imagine how you felt. You do get attached to those little buggers don't you.

Wendy - Never tried the lilies from seed so I wouldn't be a help there.

OK question to you all... I know you can eat water celery but can you eat water lettuce? Anyone do this?

OK Here is the updated list of current participants...

1. Tammy/Greenthumbgrow
2. Marian / Lovelyiris
3. Aquawise
4. Becky / Proudgm_03
6. Kim / misskimmie
7. Hightider
8. Lotusbudh2o
9. Mouse / kin2mice
10. Fran / ncgardengirl
11. kiddo
12. grovespirit - Would like to donate seeds to the group. (Can't Join) Only interested in Asian pennywort
13. grolikecrazy / Chris
14. patricia_mi / Patricia (snazzypants)
15. Sissifriss

WOW we are up to 15! Great to have you all join... Anyone else that would like to join please just let us know.

YOU CAN STILL JOIN! ;-)

Tammy

o

I am so glad to join. :) I hope I get to give everyone what they want. I may have more trades than I know once the greenhouse starts having more light I use artificial but they are not great and are overhead so not the ideal set up for water plants. The other submergable is hornwort. I sometimes wish my greenhouse was not heated with the propane bill. LOL. It is insane. I had a much smaller greenhouse the last few years and it was not bad and low and behold I put in a new one with a huge heater and we get this crazy winter. We got 8 inches of snow last night and down to 8 again tonight. Ba hum bug. It is cloudy too which means the heater runs all day. Anyway I keep hoping for spring and the greenhouse does allow me to share in these swaps. I am hoping to sell retail ormanemtal grasses this summer for the first time, it has been interesting to say the least. I am preparing for my nursery inspection. I love this site and trading though because I am forever expanding my garden and have learned so much about other plants on this site and about everything in general. I am very excited about getting plants from all of you as well. What you see on my list is all I have and we are planning on putting in a bigger pond this summer and moving the koi into it and leaving the goldfish in our small one. Oh also I was mistaken my canna is yellow not red (sorry). My brain was really dead last night. Well I hope everyone stays warm.
Myriah

o
Potential Grasses I may have for the swap

Oh yeah as far as grasses ready to go now (for sure)I have
Blue fescue (5 trades)
Pony tail (5 Trades)
Lemon Grass (10 or more trades)
Indian grass (5 trades)
Purple Fountain Grass (2 trades)
Potential trades (MORE THAN LIKELY VERY SMALL TRADES)Pending seedling growth and further germination of current seeds)Will update closer to time
toffee twist
Carex bronze
Carex prarie fire
Bunny tail grass
Needle grass
Bridal veil grass
Carex secta
Carex Buchanan (? spelling)
Cloud grass
Love grass
Praire grass
Prarie Drop seed grass
Coolio grass
Juncus Inflexus blue arrow
Blue grass
Little Bluestem grass
Blue eyed grass very poor germination at this point anyone have expereince with this from seed
Giant reed grass
Juncus Javelin
So everyone keep your fingers crossed that current seedling grow strong and current seeds germinate well so that I can share:)
I thought if anyone is a grass freak like me I would love to share as much as a can. Alot of the carex and of course the juncus types love wet feet which is perfect for the bog area.
Myriah

o

Myriah,

I also am a grass nut! I love them and have them everywhere. So yes I will def. be interested in a couple I know right off. will have to look up a couple I am not sure of.

I also have a ton of grass seeds and will list them later on closer to the day of swap. Keeping fingers crossed on that bunny tail. I have been wanting that for a while. I think it is an awesome grass.

I will be keeping an eye out for things I can get to swap with you all.

Everyone has such great things to offer so far! This is great.

Tammy

o

the pond

This is the pond we made a few years ago. Hubby and sons dug out a stump of a tree we needed to cut down. They kept on enlarging the hole until we were happy with shape. We spent lots of time reading all the posts in the pond forum on GW. It's lined with rubber roofing (forgot what it's called, but it's safe for ponds. We used cinderblocks to build the falls and DH devised a filter by pving the water perculate up thught progressive sizes of gravel and sand (large to small) layered in a garbage can. When the filter gets gunked up he reverses the flow ad it "back washes out into a rose bed. All the rocks except for the large flat one on the left were collected by me during my travels over the years. We have kois and comets. The pond has also become home to frogs and other wildlife.
frog on lily pad

o

WOW Myriah you have a super duper list and MANY I saw that I liked lol.

NO Tammy we haven't moved yet, it rained here all day Friday and Saturday and part of Sunday and then Sunday night we had snow. It melted some today, but getting out from down there was a bear!
It is not supposed to be warmer then 38 tomorrow so not much thawing to be done as a lot of it will be too shaded.

I am hoping by Thursday/Friday ALL will be moved, the animals, the yard stuff everything!

STILL no word on the cable, but we were without power all day today so they MAY have tried to call and just couldn't get through we have digital phone service and a cordless so NO PHONE today.

o

WOW! This page is getting very long. I want to add that I found the name for this cool little grass I have growing in my pond. It is called Manna Grass or Glyceria I only have a few trades. Google it and see what you think. let me know what you all think.

o

Kim - Your pond is awesome! That is the goal with mine. I don't have any photos with all the stuff in and around but yours is beautiful! I Plan on taking a ton this year so I have them.

Aqua - I love the grass. It is very short right? it looks like it when I googled. I could def. make a spot for that one.

Fran - Hopefully you will hear something today. That has to be fustrating.

o

Kim I love your pond also that is about the size we are going for with the new one.
I will look that grass up for sure I have never heard of it i don't think.
I am so ready for spring. :(

o

Yes it is only 14" at most it is well behaved and variegated so easy.

o

Aqua - That is perfect for my pond! I am looking for smaller varieties of things

I am also not very familiar with the different types of waterlilies and lotus but i did see some in a catelog that looked like mini one (had smaller lily pads and the lotus was a smaller version also) if anybody posts any that are mini versions please note that as I would most def. be interested in those first. Trying to fit as much in without overpowering the pond with flowers. LOL

-Wishing for spring... sigh...

o

Hey Tammy, is there a swap date decided for sure yet? When I scroll up a ways.. you have March and then April/March written... did you mean May? :)

Misskimmie ~ that pond pic is GORGEOUS!!! I am getting so excited about mine now..lol

Hugs everyone,
Wendy

o

I did mean May. Sorry about that. Sometimes I type faster than I think... LOL

April/May

I was thinking start posting our lists and swapping

Start Lists and selecting: April 1st
Mail Date: May 11th

Would those dates work for everyone?

Tammy

o

It may be closer to mid-April before I can post any LIVE plant offers.. I'll have to order everything I'm offering and after being hit this past 2 wks with $1500 in van repairs.. yeaa.. gonna be closer to mid-April for me! lol If that's ok w/ everyone? I can post seeds starting April 1st tho. That's NOT a problem! lol

~Wendy

o

That is fine sassy. I was thinking I will probably list a couple at a time as I find things so if you don't list til mid april that is alright. Just keep checking back so you don't miss any offers.

Tammy;-)

o

OOOh I am getting excited. I was outside most the day and saw my fishys swimmin around. So excited as last week everything was covered in snow but today felt like summer. Weird weather. But anyway. I can't wait to get my pond going. I am going to be getting my pump and everything up and running soon. I have some new things to add to the mix from one of the swaps I was in so look forward to my list. I will add it on April 1. (Gives me time to finish up my seed swaps.)

I am trying to decide on what plants I want around my pond this year... hard decisions... Anywho feel free to add photos of your ponds to give some ideas. This month I am sure will fly by and soon we will be having new plants;-)

Tammy

o

Can I still join? After installing my pond a couple of years ago I've not done much with it, but want to get started on it big time this year. All I have are hardy water lilies. I don't know what colors because my pond gets too much shade & they have never bloomed, but I love the leaves. I'm having some trees cut down so I can have more sun.

o

Would love to have you join dixie!
The list will start being posted the beginning of April. Be sure to keep checking back so you see what is being offered.

Tammy;-)

o

Welcome Dixie! That was my nicname from my godparents when I was growing up :)

Just came to check in and say hi to everyone!! :) Getting some other swaps wrapped up.. whew.. I joined alot at once the past 2 months.. time to slow it down a lil. (yea right!) lol

Hugs,
Wendy

o

bump :P

o

Those dates are fine with me. Everyone please cross your fingers for me I have my state inspection for my nursery next friday. I am scared. I think it will go well. I hope. I am knee deep in seed planting so I may not be on as much but i am still up for the swap. Hope everyone is doing well.
Myriah

o

Myriah ~ Congrats to you!! Your own nursery.. wow, that is awesome!! I'm sure you'll do wonderful w/ the inspection. I wish you the best of luck!

This past week I responded to a freecycle ad for pond plants. I was the 2nd person to respond however, so I only got 3 plants, but hey it's a start right? :) She gave me 2 pickerel weeds and one anacharis that stays under water to help oxygenate it. She was a neat person to meet and talk to. She had 5 small ponds in her front yard alone!

We are hoping to dig out for the small pond form I got that great deal on this wkend if we can dodge the rain. I have been putting the pondform all over the yard trying to decide where to put it ! It's a tough decision! The only problem with where I finally decided upon is there is a Japanese Maple only about 6-7ft from the area. I'm just hoping I don't run into any important roots! :P

I *HAD* a 3ft corkscrew willow that was just starting to bud out that I planted last week in the area of the new pond... however my 2 labs thought it great fun to dig it out and chew it to nothingness.... I was soooooooooooooooo mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ughh. I have been avoiding putting them into the smaller pen we made them in the backyard cuz I love them to have the freedome to run all over the yard.. but if they're gonna start this up... not gonna work for me! So far they've dug up a butterfly bush, the corkscrew willow, chewed down 2 forsythias and pretty much anything that 'dangles' they've chewed on. *sighh

Happy Friday everyone!
~Wendy

o

Myraih - Let us know how you do on the licensing. CONGRATS!

Wendy - That is the reason DH said no dogs allowed. At first I was :-( but now I am glad we only have a cat.
Hopefully you at least got a cutting left from the corkscrew to re-root..? Hopefully.

Tammy

o

Hey everyone,
I am now pretty much a happy camper. We got phone service, internet, and yesterday satellite TV so I am reconnected with the world! LOL. I have not been able to watch any tv since moving here we had no reception!

Hey aqua, neat name BTW, I would also be interested in that grass if you have another one available.

I am really looking forward to this swap!

Wendy honey, bundle that anacharis. If you let it free float it will clog your pump/filter system. I didn't know it and I put some of it in my and something else I can't remember which one it is anyway, the SO was always cleaning the filter/pump because it would suck it up into it. Finally he got so mad he threw it out of the pond! He told me NOT to put any back in there, even if you have it anchored, pieces will break off and clog it so be careful with it!
Sorry you lost your corkscrew willow! Those are really pretty.
Myraih congrats! Let us know how it goes!!!

How is everyone else?

o

Doin great Fran!

you know me.... got in a little deep on the swappin ;-) What can I say? I can't stop! Its just too much fun. Missed ya on the swaps I noticed you haven't been chattin as much but completely understand as you have a lot going on with the move.

Just think of it this way. Clean slate with your flower beds ;-)

Tammy

o

bump

o

Welcome back Fran! Glad you are settled in and reconnected. :)

Garden is going well here. Several WinterSown things are now out in the patio. Moved some rainbow swiss chard, Osaka purple mustard, Mantovana chicory, Cicoria Catalogna Rossa, and mizuna seedlings outside over the weekend.

Did y'all know that some water and bog plants can be used as edible landscaping?

Some examples which come to mind are watercress, cattail, mints, certain gingers, water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica), water chestnut, lotus (has edible roots), lemongrass, and Vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata). :)

Recently divided a sage plant and gave rooted offsets to a gardening pal who lives nearby; he was very happy to get them. Still need to divide and re-pot several other edible perennial plants. They have been in pots all year and have gotten crowded.

Harvested almost a bushel of collard greens and komatsuna greens recently. Didn't need that much, so we shared with a neighbor whose husband is unemployed. They were delighted, and surprised to see so much food from a 10'x 10' patio. :)

The heirloom bok choy "Tai Sai" has a few dozen seedpods on it. Will collect and dry in a paper bag very soon, otherwise the pods will split open and scatter the seeds everywhere. Wouldn't want that to happen, LOL!!

And the 'Rotonda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa' eggplant has several baby eggplants forming on it. :)

Blooming outside right now are a peach-flowered heirloom zinnia "cut and come again", double flowered magenta Pentas, rose colored gerbera daisy, and portulaca "Giant Bicolor Radiance."

Portulaca is edible but I haven't gotten up the guts to try eating it yet. Young Zinnia sprouts are edible, and I have eaten a few when thinning them out- they seem to taste similar to sunflower sprouts. :)

A lightly fragrant bicolor dianthus, from seeds Medontdo sent me- bloomed last week, and we ate a bunch of its flowers as edible garnish. Left a few flowers on, in hopes of saving some seeds. If it doesn't set seed we may try to keep it going by root divisions.

Trying not to think too much about tomorrow- Friday the 20th- have a surgery scheduled. Instead, best to focus on my patio garden! :)

Also helps to keep busy- gonna be packing up herb seeds for the HERB-ivore swap today, that will be a calming activity too.

o

Iris, will be thinking about you tomorrow I am sure all will be just fine. After all it IS the first day of spring and MY BDAY lol.

I am excited this year, SO doesn't know it BUT he will be buying me something THIS YEAR!!! I usually don't get anything for Christmas, Valentine's Day, OR my Bday...so I think this year I deserve something, it is also our anniversary it will be our 14th year together.

Wow, I didn't know some of the stuff you listed was edible like Zinnia Sprouts and Portulaca or even dianthus!

I wish I could find some water chestnuts! I have wanted some of those forever. I need some frogbit too.

Heck I need a lot LOL.

o

That is awesome. I didn't know all those water plants were edible. I am going for those ones then. I love incorporating edibles into my landscape as much as possible. Is the watercress like a lettuce type? And do you know if waterlettuce is edible? And where in the world did you find water chestnuts?

Tammy

o

BTW

Grove - how did your surgery come along. I hope everything went fine. Check in and let us know when you are able:-)

Myriah - How did your nursery license go?

Tammy

o

Hi greenthumpgrow...been lurking and have seen you ask about the water lettuce and if it is edible.I believe it has no known food value. Here is a link you may find useful in determining what is edible and what isnt. http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s-4-75-281,00.html. Hope it helps.

o

sorry, its been so long since I have posted I have been so busy with the odd warm weather we have been having here in Ohio. I have stuff coming up and cleaning up from winter has been such a wonderful chore!
It looks like I will have yellow water iris and water celery for sure. I have not yet checked my lilies and I have a couple of those starts promised already so it will be tight to get some for here it will just depend on how much I have to divide off. I will also prob have some horsetails since I stuck them straight into their favorite ground they have gone nuts in the yard. Pretty but nuts.
This is going to be a great round robin.
I can't wait!
squeek squeek!

o

Aloha all, my surgery went very well, so TY very much if you prayed for me. :)

The surgical staff were only expecting one problem and they found 2. They did a great job, everything considered.

I am still healing up and sore in spots, but despite this I already feel tons better than I did before I had the operation. :)

I'm very grateful my health is turning around.

About water chestnuts- I don't have a water garden (or water chestnuts) right now but I used to grow them when I lived in Calif.

Some large cities such as San Francisco, CA and Houston, TX have a Chinatown. In Chinatown there are Asian veggie markets that sell fresh, unpeeled water chestnuts when they are in season. If you put an unpeeled fresh water chestnut in a water garden it can grow and multiply.

Also, water chestnut is sold by a website that specializes in water plants. If you want the specific info please email me, so I can avoid spamming everyone with a merchant URL.

o

Tammy, thanks for asking. I PASSED :) Now if I could afford to hire someone to help me. Maybe next year. My poor dog had an accident yest. We think she may have caught someone trying to break in the house and she ended up with a huge very deep laceration in her neck for which she had emergency surgery for last night. She is ok thank goodness. But what a scare. I hope everyone else is ok. Talk to you all soon.

o

Great to hear you passed.

Sorry to hear about your dog. We had someone break in our house 3 years ago. We came home and they were in the house we actually watched her run out the front door. The police gave us a hard time when we reported it. I was very fustrated about the whole ordeal. I think she knew the officer in charge or someone who worked there. Its the only thing I can think of as to why the officer gave us the hard time instead of her. (She lived next door to us belive it or not! And we live in a pretty nice neighborhood. Luckly she moved and we haven't had any problems since) I wish I would have had a dog to protect and serve. LOL -BTW I Hope your dog gets better.

Tammy

o

Tammy how scary and frustrating. I can not imagine that situation. Thanks for your thoughts. She is pitiful. Now she is trying to scratch at it and she has 12 stiches and a drain. How do you tell a dog not to scratch. :(

o

HI Everyone I would love to join your swap!! I have a galvanised water trough that i use as a pond lol and this year I am adding another pond, I have some plants i can trade but I dont know the names of them but I can send pictures of them I collect plants from all around the creeks, and lake(out my backdoor)and bring them back to grow here and they do good. I am new to GW so not sure of what I need to do, Please just let me know
Kim

o

Greetings all! I am interested in joining this little group. I will have a few white hardy water lilies and some yellow hardy water lilies once the snow clears. I also have seed from my Empress Lotus from last season as well as a few tubers when it warms up. Not much else right now as the pond was new last fall (7000 gal.) but I really need plants to stock it up with. I have some hostas as well which would look great around your pond. Old fashioned whites which are over 22 yrs old to my knowledge. Looking for red and white bog lilies, water celery, arrowhead, Angel Wing and other lotus, and tropical lilies. Let me know if any one sees a need.

o

dbailey I for one would love to have your white and yellow water lilies. I lost all mine.
It was funny too because I took them to a plant swap and swaped the all away then lost them at same year! Isn't it always the way?

I can't wait for my plants to wake up. I am so ready for spring!
Tammy did you decide for sure when you were gonna do this one for positive?

o

Alright everyone I just started a new forum for this thread...

PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS ONE ANYMORE AS I WILL NOT BE CHECKING IT.

Title of the new forum:
WET My Feet! Water Gardening seed/plant swap #2

Here is the link...
Click Here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here