Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
update: tropical subtropical rr

Posted by rosepedal Four seasons NE WI Z (qatechwallace@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 11:45

Good morning everybody.. I went shopping yesterday and found this mass cane on clearance...It was a good day shopping. LOL

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr

Very pretty Barb! I picked up an anthurium at Lowes yesterday. It was 1/2 price! Not the pink or red I was hoping to find, but the white is pretty too! I think I will be saying farewell to my very pathetic deifenbachia!

Have a great day!
Frances

o

All I can say is wow! Karmas and zoo katies seeds are here...Another over the top great selection of seeds for everyone :) You all have been great in this RR towards each other. Katie thank you for my package of seeds....I have to look them up...I think I will add a few of spanish limes seeds you sent me into the lottery. I only need two seeds to try. I cant wait to try the peanut butter fruit seeds too... Thank you Katie! :) Have a great rest of the weekend everyone...Barb and Natasha were off to learn more about the seeds...

1. Rosepedal me
2. Fcoffill **** Received seeds
3. Karmahappytoes ****Received seeds
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
6. Chena
7. Kiddo **** Received seeds
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers
10. Dimples31312 ****Received seeds
11. Ibartoo
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus
14. Grolike crazy
15. zubababy ****Received seeds
16. Barbcoleus **** Received seeds
17. Givelittle_getlots
18. dige01991
19. zoo-katie ****Received seeds
20. chellflower ****Received seeds
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr Frances

Frances they had those at our lowes yesterday. They are pretty. They had the pink and red. Let me know if you want to go and get one for you...Barb

o

Hi Barb if they had a little one I would be interested, I really do not want to pay $15 or $20 dollars for a big one. (which is why I have been shopping and not buying for so long) I got this one for $5, there was nothing in the pot but ROOT!!! I plan to chuck my spindly deifenbachia (trying to remember WHY DID I BUY THAT THING, I knew it needs too much light for my house) I never have gotten those things to grow, my sister has one thats 8 feet tall, but mine always look like something you find in the scorch and burn rack!

Frances

o

Frances I will go monday and check for you. If they are like 5-6 dollars I will grab them. I will put them in the GH until it warms enough to mail them to you... :) Wow Frances 8 feet that is a big guy Lol I hear some plants do not do good for me either...Do you ever go and feel sorry for them and bring them home and desperately try to help them. hahahha it never works out for me....Barb

o

I do it all the time, bring home the sadest, most pathetic looking things, the DH thinks I am insane, sometimes they make it sometimes they don't...

Paul still kids me about the 'mexican heather' he says they cringe away from me at the store!

ha ha ha, they said it couldn't be killed.....

o

Frances,

If your diffenbachia still has leaves on top and is just leggy looking, maybe you can try air layer rooting the top half and give it a new start. By the time it develops roots, it will be warm enough in your zone to put it outdoors for some good 'ole sunshine -it may surprise you with a growth spurt!!

I did this when my corn plant got leggy and now its a good sized fella once again!

o

Goodmorning seed swappers!

Thanks for the info Chell and helping Frances....

Today is #2 Lottery (2ND week). Yippeee Yahoo. I wonder what we will all receive today. How exciting! Sunny here today snowed all day yesterday. Sure is pretty right after a snow but I dislike when it starts to melt and turns into mud. LOL

I will check back in later today...Happy sunday...Barb

o

Hey Barb
Yesterday was a beautiful day here. SUNSHINE it sure was great to work outside with a t on and no jacket! LOL
A little cool this morning but they are saying we should get to 80 this week! :)
Dorothy

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr seed help

I need help on these I bought online. Splitleaf Philodendron It says to sow the seeds right away. I noticed the seeds are moist. Will they last long enough to mail out in the rr. Do I put them in the fridge? How do I keep them moist for this RR. Should I just sow them right away and trade them off when they grow? Help Please...Barb

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr 80

Dorothy we were posting at the same time. LOL oH 80 sounds so wonderful for you...Tropical air you lucky girl...Can you please send it noth...LOL

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr 2nd week lottery

Photobucket

LOL Have fun peeking. Seeds are distributed for this past week.. :) Barb

o

Thank you Chell!
I chopped it down! :O I love the plant, I just wish it loved me back..... I cut the 'cane' into sections press the sections lengthwise into nice clean potting mix and wait. It will develop root and/or new canes at the leaf node (somehow 'leaf node doesn't seem like an apt descriptor for this plant) I should have half a dozen nice new plants in a couple of months. I should remember to do this in the fall so I don't have to look at the spindly thing all winter!

Well my seedlings are officially out of control! The TOMATOES HAVE SPROUTED!!!! I will now have to buy more lights or wait till something gets big enough to go outside before I can plant anymore! BOO HOO!!!

The wind is really blowing here and it is cold (the wind I mean) It would probably be in the mid 50's but the wind feels like it blew off a glasier.... have to keep my plants watered and covered at might.

Have a great day everyone
Frances

o

They lied!!!!Now they the highest this week will be 73.
Will I can live with that.

Barb...I will go outside with a big fan and try to send some warm air north.
Think it will work??? LOL
Photobucket

o

Lol Dorothy oh how I wished it would work. 11.8 outside right now but beutifuly sunny. Frances you have tomatoe seedlings already? Wow when can you start planting out down there? Last year we couldnt plant out until the last week in May. We started the seeds too early and they got leggy. I just buried them real deep and it worked....

I am sicker than a dog. I came down with tonsilitis. I still have them. We all went to the parent teacher conference for natasha and I think I picked the bug up at the school. I was due to be sick. I havent been sick in a long time... I am getting some antibiotics today from the DR. I dont feel real bad just weak and my throat feels like it is on fire. LOL You all have a great day and week. I will check in later...Barb

o

Barb, sorry to hear you are not well, take care of yourself and get well soon!

To keep my tomatoes (and other seedlings) from getting leggy, I turn them at least twice a day and remove leaf pairs above the second true set. (religiously) This keeps the plants short and stout. They will start life in the garden shorter, but with better roots than most plants their size. Most commercial tomato growers in this area say to plant tomatoes as deep as possible. (up to one third of the plant) I will probably start moving my seedlings outdoors next month, event though I will not be planting them in the garden until Mid April. I just cover the trays at night with sheets to keep them warm.

Anyway gotta run, off to the PostOffice and then to look for more lights!!!! I need to plant my annuals! What an addict ha ha ha

Frances

o

Frances LOL....That is great I didnt know to remove the leafs pairs above the second true set of leaves. Thank you.. Oh I am so envious next month already. You are so lucky! I will go tommorow to check on those plants for you. I am getting ready for the Drs office..Boo hoo

I have a request for the rest of you who have not sent seeds in yet. If you can please send your seeds in the bigger envys. The seeds sent in so far will not fit in the little envys to send back to you. I do have a few extras big ones but do not want to go buy more. If I have to I will. Just thought I would ask....Have a great day everybody...

o

1. Rosepedal me
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
6. Chena **** Received seeds
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers
11. Ibartoo
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus
14. Grolike crazy
17. Givelittle_getlots
18. dige01991 ****Received seeds
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves

Update for seeds received :) Barb

o

Hi Barb!
I also bottom water the tomatoes being very stingy with the water, (just enough to keep them from wilting. After that second leaf pair forms add 1/4 strength water soluable food once a week, no top feeding though, only feed the roots and keep those top leaves pinched back, you can let them get taller if you have room, but I start pinching at the 2nd leaf pair, then move up to the third (it is really dependant on how much space you can give them.

Have a great evening!

Frances

o

Thank you Fran!

We bought those things you stick in the ground and add a 2 liter pop bottle to it to feed the roots that way while they are in the ground. I know when we water over the top of them. They get sickly so we root water. We were dissapointed last year. They were so beutiful and growing huge and getting fruits and our frost hit. Ugghh all that work for tomatoes and a early frost..Boo hoo I was able to get some tomatoes but some of the heirlooms didnt produce fast enough...or we only got a few maters out of them.

Our store here had their seeds on sale. Yahoo I have two fenced in areas for our veges. I plan on another couple huge garden vegtable gardens this year. LOL Last year as teh corn was getting ripe the racoons came thru and wiped it out..hahahh no corn this year we will just buy it.. :) Goodmorning everybody Have a great day Barb

o

Photobucket
Photobucket

Frances here is your new baby. I found her at walmart in the big city. They were sold out on the pink ones. She was only 8 dollars. If you want her let me know. I will mail her out when it warms up. For now I will put her in the gh. I wonder if we could divide her up. She looks to have two parts to her...What do think? Of course after bloomimg right?

Hey guess what I found in the city. Jungs retail outlet. Yahoooo I got a bunch of coleus and geraniums seeds and pots for the gh. My sister and I had a good time together...

Zubababy I am gonna email you later.....

o

Wow barb what a beauty! You should try to divide it if there is more than one clump! (if you wait till after it flowers you could be waiting a very long time) they bloom almost constantly when they are happy! This one looks very happy! I have divided the white one into 2 plants (it was pretty easy (there was nothing in the pot but roots) and it was still flowering.

o

Hey Frances maybe we could just swap them out later in spring along with some other plants if you want. Up to you...:) Barb

o

Sounds great! I hope it warms up for you soon, is your snow gone yet? I don't think I could survive snow anymore!

o

I wish the snow was gone! Lol No it is along season up north.. Thank goodness for the GH. It keeps my sanity. Stupid me instead of moving south we moved North... LOL

Sounds good Frances I took her out today. I transplanted a bunch of babies today and am running out of room. I started a bunch of seeds today... I am hoping for some luck on them....Barb

o

Barb, Got your message - Thanks

We've been having some warm weather here this month. Our snow has finally melted, until this weekend we're suppose to be getting more.

Spring fever here! The big box stores have started selling summer bulbs and roots already. It's not even march yet. Now I just need a day off of work so that I can put them in the ground.

o

Kristi I wondered what Utahs weather was like. I didnt know if it would be cold there or not this time of year. You are the first person I have met that lives there. It sure is a pretty state. I seen some pictures of it. Oh that sounds dangerous the box stores having their bulbs and roots in. LOL I will have to stop at menards here today...ahhahah Have a great day everyone...Barb

o

Good morning everybody....We are ready for our big snow storm that will be passsing our way today. I see there will be high winds south of us. You all be safe and have a good day...Barb

o

Hello Everyone,
Have not been posting to much lately. Trying to catch up on whats going on.
Been working (playing in the yard) DH and I are putting in a couple of raised beds. 4X10 for a few veggies.
I tried to do some veggies in pots last year but didn't do well.
Also have a 10x14 building been trying to clean out full of junk. Weather man said 69 today and no rain.
Woke up this morning IT'S RAINING! Well we do need the rain and all the stuff I pulled out of the building is covered with plastic. Most is going to the trash anyway!

Hey Barb and all up north. Hope everyone stays safe.

Dorothy

o

Hiya everyone! Just checking in :) I did some WS'ing today, then picking up some things from freecycle this afternoon, then home to make my honey a bday dinner.

Long day..lol Tomorrow I'm planning on WS'ing ! yay!

Hope everyone's well!
Wendy

o

Aloha folks,

I haven't joined this RR but I'd like to offer some tropical seeds to this group, since I have too many crowding up my seedbox and I'd hate for them to go stale!!

My extras:
a few trades of Fragrant, Pua Keni Keni (Fagraea berteroana)
http://www.hilozoo.com/images/plants/t_pua.jpg
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/image/?q=070618-7366

Fragrant Natal Plum (Carissa macrocarpa) - LOTS! :)
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/image/?q=020628-0025

Maroon Fijian butterfly pea (Macroptilium atropurpureum)- LOTS.
http://www.hear.org/starr/images/full/starr-080208-2467.jpg

A few trades Asarina scandens, mixed colors- mauve, violet, white:
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Ursula_1161901694_881.jpg

Sensitive Plant (Mimosa pudica)- a few trades.
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/image/?q=090213-2482

Ruby red pentas (Pentas lanceolata)- several trades.
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/image/?q=070221-4871

and...
A small trade of Hawaiian Red Powderpuff tree (Calliandra haematocephala)
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/image/?q=071024-9938

No trades required to claim some of the above seeds...SASE is OK too. They were all harvested from publicly-owned plantings that grace the roadsides and beaches near me. All of them were harvested in 2008.

Trades of heirloom veggie seeds, or unused seed envelopes, are appreciated and will be passed on to Need4Seed (a seed charity which helps feed needy families).

If you'd like to grow out some of these spare tropical seeds of mine please email me. First come first served, thanks!
Iris (grovespirit)

o

Iris you rock! I potted up your beas jasmine cuttings you sent me last fall. The gardenia has buds on it and ready to pop. How the heck are you my friend? Gosh it has been ages since I have talked to you.....I am glad you are still around...Kudos for taking care of everybody...You are a good friend...big hug to you from me Barb

o

Hi everyone!
I'm just checking in too.

Barb, what a beautiful plant you got for Fran!! I love it! I can't wait until it's warm enough to start trading plants again!

Well, it's been snowing like crazy here today. I think we've gotten about 6 inches so far and it's still coming down like crazy. The plows are having a hard time keeping up so there's no point trying to go anywhere, or you might get stuck. They say we could get up to 10" by the time it's done. The good news is that my class was canceled tonight so I got to come home from work and take a nap...it felt sooooo good!! Anyway, may be we'll get so much snow that I will get to stay home from work tomorrow...ha, ha, I'm not holding my breath!

This weekend I sowed a bunch of succulent seeds I had collected from some of my plants. I also sowed some seeds I didn't label so those will be a total surprise. I was thrilled today to see that several of them have already started to sprout!! Wow, that was fast. It's so nice to see seedlings in Feb!! :-) What a fun hobby we all have!!

Hope everyone is doing great. Tomorrow is Friday!!!

Amy

o

Hi Everyone, I was thinking I would wait to send in my seeds, but I think I will add a few others and go ahead and mail them. If I get anymore lined up, I will be a basketcase. LOL. I really need to get some things finished on the "to do" list.
I will let you know when they are on the way.
Linda

o

I can not tell you how happy I am for you all just from the seeds that have been sent in. :) Jumping up and down

I was in Michelles and drippys rr's. This one is just like theirs! If you ever get the chance to join theirs Highly reccomened! I learned from Drippy as a newbie...

Too make it short and sweet We all saved big bucks and will be jumping up and down!... I am honored as a newbie to be your host... You all have so much more exsperiance than I do..... serioulsly husgs to each one of you for taking care of one another... You girls really do rock along with other GW members........

o

Hi Everybody running late in saying have a good day. I had to make a trip into the big city this morning...The snow storm turned out to be a pretty one...The sun is out shining on all the snow on the trees...Very pretty....

Amy how much snow did you end up with? I bet you really enjoyed your time off....I agree it is a fun hobby...It is so neat to see a plant come from a little seed... Amazing..LOL

Linda LOL on the to do list...Are you getting ready for the big growing season? I will keep a eye peeled for them.. Have a great rest of the day....Barb

o

I think we got about 7" or so. I'm not sure, I didn't hear the totals. The roads were terrible this morning. The side roads still weren't plowed so I almost got stuck on my street this morning. Most of the snow we had up until now had melted, so I was able to see the gardens again and started to feel like spring was just around the corner. But now, everything's buried again, just like it has been all winter. Booooo...

o

Oh so sorry to hear about all of the snow! I know you all are used to it (I was too until about 10 years ago) but sheesh, don't you just wish it would stop already!

I almost hate to tell you that my tomatos are outside (in a makeshift coldframe) and daffodil are blooming all over. Those bright yellow sunshiny flowers sure are welcome at this time of year!!! Even though we don't have snow, its dull and brown and (yes surprize) even a little muddy out side today!

I am so ready for spring.... but hate to wish for it as I will be away from the garden for 4-6 weeks this summer. I expect to come home and find dry crispy or soggy with gnats...... either way it will not be a happy thing to see in august!

I think I will just not think about it and enjoy the spring!

Have a ggreat day everyone, stay warm and drive safe

Frances

o

1. Rosepedal me
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers
11. Ibartoo
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus
14. Grolike crazy
17. Givelittle_getlots **** Received seeds
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves

Another great selection of seeds received Gotta keep this short... dinner is going.....Barb

o

Hey Barb!!!
I think the FAN THING back fired! Their are actually talking about the S word!
Tomorrow T storms and Sunday night in to Monday morning rain snow and sleet!
SE Ga. is going to be a mess. It as been so nice this week.

I guess I need to move my plants (and Tomatoes back to the GH. :(
Photobucket

o

I am Back...hahahha Are you all sitting down?

Lucy givelittlegetlots sent in 6 large bulbs...These are the huge elephant ears. No name but the really big ones. I will see if I can get a picture from her. There are only 6 so Please let me know if you are interested I will place your name in a hat and pick from there. I will try to get a picture from Lucy...Please all thank her for thinking of you...Her and myself had a bulb trade in place already and she included them for you all...Let me know if you want in teh lottery for these by sunday at 7 pm my time....Barb :) Lucy you rock thank you my brug friend.....

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 19:40

My THANKS to Dorothy for sending my seeds on.. In a "late Night Moment of packaging" they went to the wrong house..LOL Sweet Dorothy was so very kind as to send them on for me..HUGS Girl!!!
Kylie

o

Okay I found y'll, so good to see they arrived! Now whom was it that ran out of seeds? I'd be glad to send you half my collection!!

o

Barb hi and everyone. I can not believe that I totally *forgot* that I should be checking this thread too.

I just slapped myself on the head. Barb you got paypal? That way I can just send you some postage money. I was not thinking ...so sorry. My first RR.

I dug out the EE page they came with. All it says on their is colocasia esculenta 60" height Giant foliage all summer.

Today I hauled all the tropicals in the shed. Sat & Sun is suppose to go below freezing. Had to put them in a night earlier. :-(

Sure wish I was in a zone were I could grow all the tropicals I love so much without hauling them in and out lol.

Maybe one day I take my daughter up on her offer and move to Florida lol

Lucy

o

Barb,
Put me in for the drawing for the EE.
If you need extra postage just let the winners know.

Lucy you are so sweet,thank you for thinking of us.
Stay warm, I hate all temp changes. Maybe this will be our last big drop for the year. (MAYBE)

Dorothy

o

Hi Girls Lol Kylie I wasnt got say anything...hahahha I sent a RR pack one time to the wrong person too man did I panick...

Hi Karma so happy to see you too. I got your email I was gonna email you in the am...LOL on the seeds. You have been busy wow I cant imagine planting that many. Your gh has to be huge...I am so envious...

Thanks Lucy for the info on them. I planted all the bulbs just now out in the gh that you sent me. I put the others ones in the fridge. Hey lucy what kind of soil do you use. I love that stuff it is so light and airy. Not like the miracle gro I buy full of sticks and other stuff. I always have to break it up. It is in clumps. No need on the postage rememeber I have to send you my half of the bulb/plant trade. I fugured I could add in the RR Seeds to it. The RR Will be done in two weeks. I will send eveything together if that is alright with you. :) Barb

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr Picture

Lucy I found this picture on the web. Not my picture..Barb

Photobucket

o

PS
Kylie
Your welcome ;) LOL
Dorothy

o

WOW would you look at thos things!!!! Beautiful! So glad I stopped in, reminded me of the EE you and Catrina sent me last year! (I would have been very surprised if they grew that big where I left them over the winter)! Now I have ideas!

Hope you are all surviving your weather, we are getting rain again today (ho hum) but no complaints about water here, its a rare thing! My daffodil are blooming like mad, the forsithia is a bit weak this year, but the lilacs, spirea and roses are leafing out beautifully! There may be some cold days left but spring is really here!

Frances

o

From Pictures to share with Garden buddies

sorry it took me till now. These are the ones
Lucy

o

Goodmorning everyone!

Wow just gone done with all my emails now I have time to talk...shhhooo LOL

Toni that is a lot of snow girl. I would have been scared to death to drive in that much. I am so sorry everything is buried again. It will melt soon. We have snow cover continous here throughout the winter. Which I am glad for the plants it gives them a blanket and protection from the cold.

Frances yahoo for the rain. I know you all need it down there. Come on rain! LOL

Thanks Lucy for posting your picture! I am so excited about growing them. They are all tucked away in the gh... :) Have a great day everybody...Barb

o

Just when I thought it was warming up for spring, something happened. They are talking about snow again! I don't ever remember snow twice in 1 year. I was ready to begin taking some of my tougher plants out to start hardenin off. LOL, I guess I will wait on that now.

I am potting up some seedlings today and hopefully my guys won't complain about me taking over what is left of the kitchen, weight room and den. LOL ( yeah right) Maybe we can reach a compromise somehow.
Anyway, I am putting my seeds together today and will mail them on monday. i will let you know when they are on the way.
Linda

o

Hi everyone!
Barb, you can put me in the drawing for a EE bulb too. I had one last summer but it didn't do anything for me. Where do you plant them? shade, sun, combo? Do they like dry or wet soil? I have spots for all of these options. I had them in a corner of my garden that was in between. It got most sun and some shade, I wonder what I did wrong. (geez, sorry for all the questions!) :-)

Hope everyone is good. It'll be cold here this weekend, but it looks like it will warm up a bit next week. More snow is on the way though for next week :-(. I am so super jealous of all of you ladies that have your plants outside already and of those of you with greenhouses!! I have all of mine in a room downstairs that gets lots of sun. But I'm so sick of them, they look so terrible this time of year and the stupid soil gnats are terrible! YUCK! Can't wait for spring!!

Amy

o

Amy I am sorry I called you Toni..I apoligize...I am a blonde hahahh...Iris I confused you with tergrove I believe..Geez I need a drink...Well I am defianetly not perfect and I will be the first one to say. I am a goofball at times...LOL Iris I am glad you are better I know you went through a rough patch a while back I ma glad you are healthy and happily trading again...Thank you for the seeds we shared... Back to work for me....

o

Frances you dont have these ee's I believe do you want in on them? I have a miller lite now..hahhaha

o

Hey Barb that would be great! the ones I got from you and catrina are buried in the leaves (with the tags and all) no idea what they are at the moment, glad these showed up though, I had forgotten all about them! Please add me to the list. :)

Its still raining outside! I wish it would slack off a bit so I could go and check my WS containers, but my backyard is a lake right now! (good thing I put them on the patio table or they would be in my MIL yard by now!

They are talking about a little snow here Monday early (I do mean little, if it comes it will probably not hit the ground. I guess I will be bringing my Tomatoes in this afternoon!

Lucy, those plants look fabulous! a single year growth!!!! WOW!!!!

Iris, if I haven't said so before I am glad to see you are back and feeling better!

Anyway back to work for me too! "Cheers" Barb, I think I'll hold out a little longer before indulging in a much needed libation...... otherwise I might not get anything done!

Frances

o

Gotcha down Frances I knew they would do good for you. That bites about the rain but you need it. This summer I can see you now... "where is the rain." hahhah

Anybody else interested ???? Barb

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr Linda

Linda I will keep a eye peeled for them...Can you tell I am catching up with posts.. The gh is waking up and keeping me on my toes along with housework and keeping up with swaps and of course my new family members in the house with me now.......Never ending but fun :)

o

Thanks Frances. You should see how big the bulbs grew. They are bigger then a coconut. WAY bigger lol. Now those I kept for myself ha ha ha

I had them in afternoon shade. The leaves did not like getting rubbed by the wall. So that was the wrong place for them and only reason I dug them up. I had no idea that they had produced that many babies!!! Which most of them are as big as the ones that I had bought.

EE's love sun and water! I know lots of folks grow them in or around a pond or stream. This year I will plant them in huge barrels until I have a flowerbed that will become their permanent home.

Barb I hope they will make you as happy as I enjoyed them. For me they are just a MUST have in the yard :-)

Lucy

o

I would love to grow some EE's but my soil doesn't hold near enough moisture. I think they are gorgeous though.

o

Hi Lucy

you have inspired me! I have been missing "Thriller" in my containers, EEs may be the answer! Last year I had the best containers ever, but the sweet potato vines ATE the geraniums, the pots were stunning but they still lacked 'something' if you know what I mean. My nextdoor neighbor has HUGE EE's 8' or bigger, they are gorgeous, he ignors them!

I am just barely resisting the temptation to go out and dig in the mud and start working on my new "Tropical" garden.

On other plants topic I am seriously considering "Shovel pruning" my Nikko Blues this spring. Looks like I have lost my buds for the third year in a row. One of the first things I fell in love with in the Carolinas were these Blue hydrangea. They are everywhere.... but NOT in my yard!!! I HAVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE BLUE FLOWER since I purchased these plants!!! (it is not their fault, the weather has been rough on them these past few years) But I think if I want blue hydrangea I will buy newer cultivars that bloom o new wood....

isn't gardening fun!!! YIPPPPEEEEE!!!!

We have snow in the forcast...... I won't believe it till I see it.... There are tomato seedlings on my kitchen counter.... MIL and DH are shaking their heads....... I see a Straight Jacket in my future and I am not the least bit psychic!

Have a great evening everyone!

Frances

o

Barb, I didn't even notice that you called me Toni. No problem, it's hard to keep up with everyone. :-)

So the EE's like full sun and moist soil? Uh oh, I don't have that combination. I have moist soil with shade, would that work? Otherwise I guess I will have to try them in a pot this year.

Don't worry Frances, if you end up in a straight jacket, at least you'll have a bunch of us there with you!!! ;-)

Amy A

o

Hi Barb Gee I'm glad I visited this evening.I would love to be in on the ee drawing.It was 85 here yesterday and will be 30 tonight yuk! I am so ready for spring.I have hundreds of babies to plant.I have become a winter sowing addict
Kiddo

o

Hya! everyone

ITS SNOWING!!!! (not that cool for most of you I know) from a practical standpoint it is really not that cool here-now either.... (watch me shuffle plants, run in and out with armloads, tracking mud and ?S?T?U?F?F all over) ha ha ha but it is so pretty!!! they are guestimating 4 - 8 inches.... lol

Hello Kiddo!

Have a great evening everyone!

Frances

o

Hi Eveveryone,

Wow you are having crazy weather Frances and Kiddo. I totally understand your frustrations. -10 out can you believe it and March...:(

Here is who I have that have interests in the bulbs and are receiving them...

Dorothy
Amy
Frances
Kiddo

Linda they can be grown in containers. I grow mine that way. Let me know if you would like one...You all have a great day. I know some of you have seeds coming. I will watch out for them...We are almost done with this RR It went fast...LOL

o

Thanks for the offer Barb but I just received a couple of seedlings in another trade. Save the bulbs for others...
I hope everyone likes what I am sending.
Barb, do you need a list, or are you just dividing everything that comes in?
Thanks, Linda

o

Hi Linda...

No list needed. Natasha grabs from the box and than puts them in your baggies...I will go thru them and check for doubles to make sure they are not in the bags. Have a good day...Barb

o

Hi Barb, in south florida that colocasia is listed as a class 1 invasive lol I pull them up as a weed so if you want some small ones I can get some. What a difference a zone makes lol.

Katie

o

Katie that is so funny...LOL I have the ones lucy sent me in the gh. I was already out there talking to them.."come on babies grow!" LOL

Oh how I wish I was your zone...:) Barb

o

Hi everyone,

We actually received SNOW here yesterday.. which is a rarity for sure! I had to laugh at our weather forecast for the week. Snow and Ice, 25 degrees today... and by Friday sunny and 74 degrees!! LOL How's that for night and day temps? My plants are sooo confused!

My mom always had the EE's but I'm not sure if she lost them or what as I never saw any last year.. I bought 2 of the black EE's last year at an end of season sale, but didn't realize til too late they they will probably not overwinter outside.. ah well. Lessons learned, I'll try to nab some more at the off season sale THIS year and now I know better! :)

Is anyone interested in any tropical TREE seed? I wasn't sure as it certainly takes a longgggg time to reap the benefits of a tree from seed. If you are interested tho I'll send some in my envy to share.

Hope everyone is staying warm and thinking of nice toasty tropical breezes.. we can wish eh?

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Wow Katie! you are right, what a difference in a Zone or 2. I am right on the border of Zones 7 & 8 and you never know what will happen here! (We got 6 inches of snow last night)

Here is a link that might be useful: snow

o

Gosh I really dislike to say this but Frances you see what us northerners go thru all winter..LOL that is a pretty picture...Gargole cant see it with all your snow...hahhahh'

Wendy those sound wonderful....Tree seeds are welcomed at least I hope so I bought some to share too...

o

Ha Ha Ha Barb, I know what you go through every winter! (I spent my first 40 years in Canada) I just haven't seen this much in a very long time! I am even feeling a bit sorry for the squirrels this morning (they are still fat but they do look pitiful up to their noses in snow)

Wendy, that storm that hit us blew up from Atlanta, how weird is that!!! Biggest snowstorm in years blows in from the SOUTH!!!! ha ha ha! We expect temperatures to be back to normal (mid 60s) in a few days, Could hit the 70's before the weekend!

It is so pretty out there, but I can hear the trees and shrubs groaning under the weight! close to 100,000 homes without power in this area! I hope the power company gets hem back on soon!

Gotta run..... I have nothing to wear in this weather, so I dash out for a few minutes and then run in to warm up.....

brrrr

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Frances

o

fcoffill
Ahhhh snow is so PRETTY, reminds me of our white sand beaches lol sunshine every day can get so boring hahahaha

Katie

o

Kristi Zubababy!

I received your second package today! Thank you for my stuff you sent me again..You all she is spoiling you guys alot...Thanks for the extra postage too... Big grateful hug to you...I planted tham already as soon as they got here...LOL You are so kind and generous! Barb

o

Goodmorning everybody!

Wow the states could use some warm air. This is crazy weather and it is march. I hope you all are staying warm in your neck of the woods....

Frances candian ehhh..LOL I hope your nose didnt get too cold running in and out..Lol on the squirrels. I have a black squirrel coming in to the feeders. He has a mohawk serious it is so funny. I should try to get a picture of him. He must of woke up from hibernation. He sure is a chubby one though.

Zoo katie I think I could handle white sands for a while but than have to come back to the four seasons..I love fall time LOL

Regina I received your email and emailed you back :)

You all have a good day. Frances go make a snowman LOL barb

o

Good Morning Everyone!
Another cold morning in the south.
Should be warming up later this week.
Ready for SPRING!!!
Dorothy

o

Sure wish our white sand would warm up a little, dont you Katie? I enjoy the cooler weather but not this cool, that and I'm tired of moving my plants in and out of the greenhouse. This has been a weird winter everywhere. Hope everyone did well with the last storm that blew threw.

Regina

o

Good mornng every one! Looks like our deep freeze is wrapping up temps were supposed to dip down as low as 10 or 12F lastnight (a record for this area) We are expecting the mid 70's for the weekend! YIPPEE!

My heart goes out to you Barb (and everyone else who has to endure this weather for months at a time) This Canadian ,EH!, doesn't miss winter as much as I thought I did! ha ha ha

The snow has been pretty, but the damage is not! Broken limbs, trunks split, wreckage everywhere. The remaining smow should melt today and I will be able to see my own losses.

Regina, weather has been weird all over this year! But I guess that is the nature of weather! too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too windy...... maybe the weather is fine and WE are the problem!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Katie, white sandy beaches do sort of look like snow, don't they? I never thought about that! Do you get sunrise or sunset with that view?

I hope you all have a great day!

o

Windy, Windy oh no flash forward Hurricane season is just around the corner right Regina?

Sunrise Sunset who knows the umbrella gets in the wasy lol

Katie

o

Hi Everyone!

Wanted to pop in while I have a sec...I hope you all are warming up..It is beutiful here 41.4 for now...Yahoo... Oh white sand beaches makes me so home sick as a kid...You lucky girls.....Back to making cuttings...Have a great afternoon...Barb

o

Hi Barb

Just found some Crinum lily bulblets please take them off my hands, more weeds lol

Katie

o

Not a problem whoo hoo...Yea more plants for the gh...:) Big hug!!!!

o

Oh Katie! you have the most peculiar weeds (must be all that Sun and Sand!) ha ha ha..... anyone want some wild onions..... I can ship them by the case!!!! ooh that is just silly (I need silly, my pierris is still buried in the snow, red flowers all) and my azaleas are.... hmm, well its a good thing I KNOW where they are, because I haven't seen them for a few days!

I am looking for new homes for a couple of small "Nikko's" not cuttings but small shrubs. I will probably take the big ones to a local swap in the spring.... I am shopping for modern replacements. (new wood bloomers) I am sad, but I am sadder still to watch my hopes for BLUE flowers evaporate yet again...

Oh well, life is good, it may be cold out but I have my seed and nursery catalogues to remind me of spring!

Frances

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr castors

Frances if you need some of the bubs I will split them with you...:) Hey I have 7 seeds from alana left of Giant Zanzibar Castor Bean they are the huge ones. I am posting to see if any one wants a few to try. They are not cheap. I know some people hate castors..So let me Know I can divide up to three people...Barb

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr bugs

ps this is gross but when you soak them they look like bloated dead cock roaches..Not that I would know. hahahha

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr adenium

For those of you that recived adenium seeds. Sow them right away...Short viability on them..Soak a minium of fours first...Heat and light...Soak the soil good.. I will show you my little nursery later...LOL they are going in the lottery I am almost out of them...Barb

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr ibartoo

1. Rosepedal me
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
6. Chena
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers
11. Ibartoo **** Received seeds
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus
14. Grolike crazy
17. Givelittle_getlots
18. dige01991
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves

Linda those are some neat seeds sent in! :) Would it be okay to break down some of those packages? I would love to be able to spread those around more...Yahoo yippee you all are gonna love these...

ps after re-reading your message zoo katie did you mean those for me or the RR...I feel stupid and hate puters :(

o

lol Barb, no I do not need any more bulbs.... ha ha ha I have bags and bags I haven't planted yet! Tones more buried in the compost pile... :O + rose bushes and other shrubs.... ;) lucky the DH hasn't been out in the snow, he already thinks I am crazy....

:O

Frances

o

1. Rosepedal me
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus
14. Grolike crazy
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves

OOps copied the wrong one..Sorry :) Lol Frances on the compost pile...Barb

o

Barb,
please feel free to split them up any way you like. I sent some extras of the palms, If you need more I still have seeds for palmetto, cocos palm and a few others I can send more if you think a lot of people will want them.
Thanks a bunch, Linda

o

Thanks Linda! You are so sweet....Thanks for the extra baggies too...That was very thoughtful...Have a great evening.....I will split them up :) Barb

o

Hi again everyone. the weather is getting better here too. It was up to 40 today and it's supposed to get up to almost 50 tomorrow!! Hope this means we are done with winter! Melt snow melt!!

Katie, It's so crazy that Crinum lily and colocasia are weeds for you. we have to take extra special care to get them to do well up here!! I'd love some of the lily bulblets if you are giving those away in the swap too.

Hope everyone is having a good week. It's a long and exhausting one for me. I wish I could go to bed right now!

Amy

o

It is funny how here in Florida Katie and I consider the Crinum and Colocasia a weed. I'm am contantally pulling them up and giving them away. And I don't do anything to make them grow. I do my best to ignore them hoping they will go away, instead they grow like crazy.

Katie, I can't believe you said the H word....shame on you.......LOL.

Stay warm everyone.

Regina

o

For us it is the "T" word..LOL Regina... Good morning everyone...I am gonna split up Linda's seeds today and get a bulb plant trade out while it is warm enough here today.

I went and talked with my po lady yesterday. Small town we only have one...

I told her how many envys I was sending out and she gave me a time to come in to do it all at once. She gave me all the dc labels so I can fill them out at home and stick them on the envys. She even gave me labels but I already have them.

She is wonderful person. We gab and gab about everything. I just love the small town atmosphere here.

Wishing you all a great day today... :) Barb

o

Photobucket

Well the weather man is saying that this is the last freeze for the year! (30 this morning)
I will believe it when I see (Or feel) it!
I know soon I will be complaining about the heat, but right now I am so sick of the cold.
Should be 80 by Sat. I sure hope so!
I know, STOP B#@%^ing! LOL
Warm Hugs to All,
Dorothy

o

I am so excited! after tomorrow, the temperatures will be in the 70's during the days and 50's at night. I can finally put some things outside and let them begin hardening off. I need the space to start my veggies. ( yes, I started my tropicals first, doesn't everyone. LOL)
I hope your weatherman is right Dorothy, if it is your last freeze, it should certainly be mine too.
Have a great day everyone.
Linda

o

Dorothy and Linda our weather forcast is looking the same!!!! 70's yippee!!! I am chomping at the bit to get my garden cleaned up!

My tomatoes are setting their 2nd leaf pair! All I have left is my annuals and I have started my vine seeds soaking! I am so ready to see colour in the yard

Have a great day everyone!
Frances

o

yep, we're up to mid 60's today and 70's this weekend!! woohooo!!!!! I can hardly wait.. I have a list a mile long of things TO DO and another list for the teenage son and SO.. heheheeeee :P

Hope everyone is doing great!

I'm working on my pkg still.. feel like a slowpoke as nearly everyone else has already mailed in..lol When is this due again? :D

~Wendy

o

Hi Wendy!

Seeds are due here by the 15th. Doing seeds now :) Barb

o

Hey Regina
would it be horticultural blasphemy to call bananas invasive weeds also? all thoses dead leaves and pups haha oh I think the lack of rain was affecting my brain (rhyming) when I mentioned the H word meant nice quiet summer with lots of rain lol

Hi Barb
I will send in lots of bulbs for everyone and 2 purple ones to you for hosting this swap :)

o

I have your seeds broke up Linda :) Another awesome selection! :)

Katie that is the sweetest of you! I just love how each of you have shown such generousity (sp ?) towards each other...This has been really inspiring....

o

Hey Katie....I was thinking the same thing about the nanners....we sure do need some rain....hate to say it but almost would like to see some snow.......oh no now I said the s word....eee gads!

But on the bright side I have been picking maters and lettuce. The cool weather has been very good for the lettuce crop and I have to beat the mocking birds to the maters. But all in all has been pretty good.

Hey sassy....I was doing seeds right up till I shipped my envie off too. I just mailed mine off Monday. Went thru over two hundred seed bags. Was stuffing them in my sleep!
I can't take a walk, bike ride, car ride,or go to the store without scoping out plants for seeds,cutting,or purchasing them. And lets not forget the seed catalogs and internet sites. All I have to say is I'm glad I'm not alone....lol. I have all my garden web buddies to share my addiction with......whoooohooohaahaaha.

night all

Regina

o

Hello my name is Regina and I'am an addict.

o

Hello my name is Frances and I thought I was an addict.... but I'm feeling better now!

ha ha ha!

I actually empty my seed box every year. I sow hundreds and hundreds.... then Give away all the leftovers to friends, family, newbies.... by April my seedbox will be ready for this season's collection!

Have a great day!

Frances

o

LOL Katie! Goodmorning everybody happy friday to ya...Big fifties today I cant believe it...I am hoping by the weekend all the snow will be melted. Time to celebrate and do the happy dance....Hmmmn Now I am hungry for a banana..

Regina I will keep a eye for them too...You seed snatcher..hahhaha :) Have a great day everybody...Time to water the gh...

o

Frances
Are you sure your not hiding "something" in the back of the closet? denial denial denial

o

ha ha ha Katie...... denial! who me????

hide a little 'something' oh no! not me! never.....

well almost never......

ok, their might be a dusty ol' seed packet (or two) tucked away for a rainy day (rainy days are like hens teeth around here!)

ha ha ha!!!!

oh no the intervention has begun!!!! hide your seeds everyone, scrub those fingernails good!

o

Uh huh AA = ALWAYS ADDING

the dirt never really comes out from under the nails

o

1. Rosepedal me
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers ****Received seeds
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus
14. Grolike crazy
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves ****Received seeds

Lol Katie and Frances...Received big envies again today..:) Barb

o
RE: update: tropical subtropical rr Regina

All I can say is wow! Regina just opened the big envy! I am jumping up and down again...The whole house is shaking..

LOL Everyone here is spoiled rotten again I tell ya! Thank you for my gift too...You are a sweety!!! :)

I have that put in that envy too.. :) Cyber hug to you...Barb

o

Fingernails ....what fingernails!

Psssssst..... I've seen Katies seed collection too, cups, envies, pilies of seeds everywhere, and that was where she works!..........talk about being a addict.....sheeeeesh

Do I deny being a addict, no......do I want a cure.....nooooooooooo, perfectly happy being a gardenho.

I was wondering why my china was rattling in it's cabinet, thought it was an earthquake but it was just Barb ;)

Off to water the garden.....since nature is being so stingy with the rain.

Regina

o

*crackin up at you ladies here... ty for the laugh!

I spent the day raking and pruning the wild forest that was my mom's backyard... what a JOB I have ahead of me!! But goshdarnit, I need SUN back there! lol

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Wendy just sing "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy." Good ole John Denver... :) I just went through all the envies checking for doubles. Shoo I tell ya this has been a blast.. :) You are all gonna love what you get..Every single one of you...Man we need more tropical RR's hahahh Just unbelivable I tell ya...I would have never thought this in a million years...Happy friday night everybody..I have to take some bacon out of the freezer for breakfast..Yummy...Have fun watering Regina...Our property is a lake with all of the snow melting :) I wish I could mail you some...

o

Watch your mail box Barb, I just had a winfall!!!! Will be sending more seed your way on Monday.

Regina!! Bravo!!! I am already known as the crazy plant lady,
I don't think anyone would be surprized to learn I am 'an addict'

Katie Always Adding perfect!

o

Barb....wish you could mail some too....it's like a mohave desert here.

I can't begin to tell you ladies all the names the neighbors call me........ I am the plant lady, the dog lady, the cat lady, the vine lady, the wacko girl who talks to plants,the nature lady, the bird lady, the crazy lady with all the plants, the pot lady,the nice lady on the corner, and DH's personal favorite the plantho and a few that cant be printed here. I think if someone was to actually call me by my given name I would'nt reconize it.

o

Goodmorning everybody!

Frances I never win anything...LOL You lucky duck...We have a lot of seed in and still have a few people to go and their seeds. Wow I need another gh....I havent even started any tropical seeds or annuals and maters and peppers. Looks like I am taking over the kitchen table once again Lol...Maybe he will add on this year...:)

Regina my neighbor is a gardener with the most beutiful gardens. I cant help but look that way because it is so pretty. We are very good friends now she has taught me so much...That is how I started gardening because of her.. :)

My family thinks I am obsessed but they help me out with my obsession hahha they are enablers :) Heck I tell them I have two acres to cover with flowers no time for rest... 24 hours of nothing but desinging (sp) planting and researching...:) Have a great day everybody...8 days and counting till the seeds are due...Wow time flies by...Barb

o

Wow! confession time. LOL I love knowing I am not alone. My teenage son calls me " obsessed", a plant nerd, a freak
and actually accuses me of "making up my own language" LOL ( ie botanical names. hahaha)
Hope everyone has a great day. Linda

o

Barb my neighbors are gardners because of me. They come "shop" in my gardens and screened in porch for their plants. I have one who always says it feels like Christmas after visiting my garden. The gh is open for special trades and swaps ;>)

Our youngest(18)thinks Im a weirdo too that can spell out a botanical name but sounds like my own language when I try pronouncing it. Ok so I did'nt take latin like he did or his father did.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, but he has also seen me grow just about anything I wanted too. And in the weirdest stuff.....LOL. For example.....

Here's a school/scout project for the young one's to try. This makes a great Mothers Day project for them to take home.

All that is needed is some easy to grow flower seeds, planting mix, and egg shells.

Have the kids start saving egg shells, they should be clean of any residue and hopefully have been "cracked" in 2 uniform halfs. Save the carton too as these will hold the shells during the growth stage. A parent, teacher,or helper will need to poke a hole in the bottom of the shell for drainage.
The kids then fill the shells with soil and their seed. Monitors are assigned for misting and watering as the plants grow.
The plants are sent home the Friday before Mothers day in their very own egg pot, grown and cared for by the kids. A portion of the bottom of the egg crate can also be cut away and be sent with it. Egg shell and plant is planted in the garden as it is bio-degradable, and full of nutrients. The eggshell eventually dissolves and the hole also allows the roots to grow into the ground as the plant grows.

Have fun
Regina

o

Happy sunday everybody!

Linda hahha plant nerd that is a new one...Dont feel bad you are amongst other nerds...LOL

Regina thank so much for that idea. I am gonna do it with natasha... :) Can I come shopping too? I wish you were my neighbor...lol I gave up on botanical names along time ago..

I was at my neighbors and she was giggling at me. I was pronoucing everything incorrectly...hahah She just gets a kick out of it...But she teaches me too :)

I am up planting my brugs today! I bought this soil it is called pro mix and has sea weed compost in it.. I cant wait to run my fingers through that soil lol...I hope they like it....Have a great day everyone

o

Wishing you all a good work week! We got hit by a snow storm.... 40'S Tommorow..It will melt...Have a great evening...You seed lovers...hahhah

o

.Hi everybody!
I just got home from a "rare fruit growers" meeting
I'm beat but so excited. This meeting was about grafting which I have a strong interest it. It's a good thing I didn't eat breakfast or lunch cause I ate a sample of just about any rare fruit you can name.I really enjoyed the tamarand .It has a date like taste..very good.I traded some of my plants for a sugar apple, a cherimoya,a loquat, and two rasberry starts.Sorry not much in the way of seeds.
Great poeple great fun!
It's hot and dry here....wonder if I could do a rain dance
Frances finally got my seed box empty...wonders never cease
have started anauals too. The wild flowers are up and blooming way earlier than in years past Wish you all(each of you) could see how beautiful the country is here
later
kiddo

o

Just got these wonderful seeds from a very generous trader and wanted to share a few seeds with you, so I wondered if some of you would be interested in them :
Maclura tricuspidata
jatropha multifeda
spicy jatropha
3 piper nigrum seeds
rattlebox tree
yellow sophora
dwarf red powderpuff
pink sage
summer blooming yellow and red small tree
huge purple orchid tree seeds
3 night blooming jasmin seeds
dame rockets hesperis
2 red yucca seeds
morning glory vine tricolor Ensign
pink coral vine
jewel of opar
primrose polyantha
barleria cristata
yellow turnera
hot pink oleander
yellow butterfly weed
candlestick tree
celosia cristata
mexican oleander
red cape honeysuckle
brazilian button bush
winter cassia
malvaviscu drummondi
coral porter weed
hummingbird vine red
red sage
brazillian rock rose
beauty berry
white sage
giant red salvia
flame acanthus
pink rock rose
mammoth sunflower
4 oclocks yellow fuschia
dwarf poinceana pink, yellow, red
double blue peavine

o

Goodmorning everybody!

Kiddo that sounds like a lot of fun and you got to eat the fruit too...What a fun way to meet other gardeners in your area.....

Grolikecrazy you have some great offerings there..I cant believe this is the lst week of the RR..I bet you all are getting excited for your seeds... :) Soon they will be home to you....Happy monday everybody!

o

G'morning everyone :)

Barb just letting you know my pkg will be going out in tomorrow's mail. I'm going to try to finish my sorting this evening.

Happy Monday!
~Wendy

o

Hi Wendy!

I will keep my eyes peeled for them....Happy sorting :)

I have been repotting scented geraniums today to bigger pots...Wow do those smell good...:) Absoutely yummy...

o

Hi Katie!

The Crinum lily bulblets are here for everybody..That was fast...They are cute bulblets...Thank you for sharing them with us all..:)Youre a sweetheart... Lol I cant believe they are weeds there...I wish I had your weeds...:)

o

HI Everyone, I just popped in to say I can't wait for this swap! I keep reading about all of the different seeds and I just get so excited.

Work is really busy today, but maybe tomorrow I can get online more.
Have a great day, LInda

o

Hi everyone!
I don't have much time to post, I'm studying for my midterm this week. A big snow storm is on the way, tomorrow should be interesting! I will get caught up on the posts and post another message later this week.

Hope everyone's having a good week! Barb, watch out for this big storm, I bet it will hit you after we get buried!

Amy

o

Goodmorning everyone!

Linda I hope work slows down for you a little bit. You have to have time to plant your new seeds...:)

Amy good luck on your midterm !...I dont miss that at all...I am seeing we might just miss that storm. I think it is the one north of us...Yahoo...We received 6 inches sunday and is now melting....Have a great day everybody...Barb

o

Weeell, i don't want to pay extra postage for unwanted seeds(tropical seeds posted a few posts up), sooo, I'll just mail the run of the mill ones(sweet peas, trumpet vines, brazilian morning glory) that seem to always be wanted.
Maybe I'll wait for another day or two, if the hostess doesn't mind, to see if anybody want some of these.
Chris

o

Chris I know there's 6 I'd love out of them but I didn't think we were allowed to pick & choose..lol

I googled every single one tho! hehe

~Wendy

o

Chris....I agree with Wendy I see some I would love as well. I sent a wish list and would be more than happy to add to it :>) for instance:
Your dwarf powderpuff,coral vine,jewel of opar,coral porterweed,and hummingbird vine caught my eye. So I'm sure your seeds would be very much appreciated by all who receive them.
We just sat here and drooled on ourselfs when we read that wonderful list of seeds you offered to share.

Amy good luck on the mid-terms!

Hope all those that got hit with the newest storm are digging out and doing ok.....stay warm and safe ya'll.

Regina

o

Hey All,
Just stopping in to say Hello
Have not been on the computer much the last few days.
The weather has been beautiful and I have been enjoying it.
Happy Gardening everyone,
Dorothy

o

Goodmorning!

Frances your envy made it here yesterday :) Thank you for the extra postage....

Chris you can send in the seeds with wendys and Regina's name on them if you would like...I gotta run....

o

I finally had some time to read through all the posts here. My life seems like a whirlwind right now. I usually use my winter months to get prepared for my summer of gardening, such as preparing labels, planting all my seeds etc. But I'm really behind and just getting started. ha ha.

We just got through a snowstorm and am looking forward to the temps reaching the upper 30's this weekend..woooo hoooo

Barb, I sent off my package of seeds on Monday so you should get them today. I sure hope everyone enjoys them. I can not wait to see all the seeds. How fun eh?

Regina, you made me laugh out loud!!! I am so addicted I can't even describe the feeling of need. ha ha. It's crazy.

I can only imagine...I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nutz. I'm sure they see me outside practically before the sun rises in my pj's with my coffee gazing like I'm lost as I walk through my gardens, not to mention my evening strolls with a flashlight, loads and loads of bagged leaves I bring in and pile on my tender plants each fall, the many strange things I bring in by the pickup loads AND I love the rain so I'm out there taking in the rain walking through my gardens and trying to take photos with a bag over my camera. I can't imagine the names I'm called. ha ha I'm better off not knowing.

Thank you to everyone in advance for taking all the time to put together and for sharing your seeds. I can not wait to rummage through the package. Barb, thank YOU for putting such a wonderful seed exchange together and encouraging me to participate. You are a wonderful person.

~Tj~

o

Chris ~ yay! In that case the 6 I was really excited over were: Yellow Sophora, Night blooming Jasmine, Barleria Cristata, Dwarf Poinciana Pink / Yellow **REALLY loved this one!!, Flame Acanthus and Pink Rock Rose.

THANKYOU!! :)

Off to take yet another child to the doc today.. *sighh

~Wendy

o

What a morning al is down at the other house three hours away and we had 50 mph wind gusts all night...A couple of tree limbs down no harm...Well I went out to the gh and a window blew out along with a panel....Thank goodness I also have a kerosene heater in there as a back up along with the gas heater...Nothing lost can you believe it....Kerosenne heater was going full blast...It must of just happened...I have the window sitting there until he gets home and I keep looking out the living room window checking it...Someone up stairs was really watching out for us...Shhhhooooo what a morning...:)

o

I guess when they say March roars in like a lion they really mean it don't they?

Glad to hear there was no major damage done rosepetal.Those winds can we wicked.

And really glad ya'll appreciate my humor,not everyone does. I do my best to find humor in every situation, otherwise I would go totally wacko......ok I'll admit it I already are, but at least I'm a happy wacko!

Wendy....don't blame ya for really liking the Dwarf Poinciana/Pride of Barbadoes. They are somewhat native here along with the Royal Poincietta. I bet you would really like the Jacaranda too. All tropical trees that have a flush of beautiful flowers. And not all that difficult to start and grow from seed either.
Hope your kiddos are all ok too.

Well off to water everything, mother nature still being stingy with the rain.

Regina

o

Hi sorry I haven't sent in my seeds yet I'm still working on them what happened I ordered seeds back in mid Feb and they didn't come and I wasn't charged so I ordered more from another co. Well the first set came today and hopefully the others will come tomorrow and I will send them in priority. Hope I'm not holding up the train too much. And Grolikecrazy those are some droolin seeds you listed. Take care and thank you.

o

Barb ~ I'm so glad you didn't sustain any worse damage.. We had lotsa wind last night but it wasn't to the point of doing any damage.. just that feeling of the wind blowing on you when you're walking on the beach.. if only...lol

My seeds were supposed to go out earlier this week.. but I got sidetracked w/ sick children yet again. They ARE finally done and packaged up and will go out priority tomorrow a.m. Sorry for the delay!

Hugs everyone!
Wendy

o

Goomorning Everybody!

Regina you have a fab sense of humor...I sure wish you would get some rain down there..We all will have to do a rain dance for you...LOL

Divaheath I had the same problem with a order..Dont worry please...:) They arent due till the 15th...

Wendy you poor thing now a sick child..I hope they get better quickly for you... I went and bought some bigger envies at walmart...LOL They wont fit in the smaller ones.. I am wishing you all a great day today...I will soon have anotehr gh to add on to the one I have...I can grow brugs all year round now and not have to take cuttings to overwinter...Yahoo Yippee...Now if I could just figure out how to get the ground not to freeze every year so I dont have to lug water out there all winter long..LOL

o

Wow Barb! so glad you were not hurt, wind can be very treacherous! Two GH!!!! I am trying to convince my DH that we realy need one! very very cool...

I am wondering if you couldn't do some sort of a rain barrel with a bubbler to keep the water from freezing. If you could put the barrels inside the GH with pipes to catch roof run-off you might be able to put all that snow/rain to work for you!

Anyway have a great day everyone

Frances

o

1. Rosepedal me
4. Karyn1
5. divahethr
8. Chitownladyd
9. Fool4flowers ****Received seeds
12. Napdognewfie
13. Ladylotus **** Received seeds
14. Grolike crazy
21. Sassybutterfly 2008
22. ladygreensleeves ****Received seeds

TJ Received your awesome seeds today! Wow yahoo....I am hoping to get these all out to you all next week early monday or tuesday hopefully. There is only two traders I have not heard anything from...I am unsure of them participating or not...

Frances thank you so much for the rain barrell idea we have been thinking how we could set one up...

o

Barb.....Ive seen plans for setting up rain barrels on-line, complete with how to connect them all together and everything. Seen it on craigslist too. I got my barrels(free) from a neighbor who works for the water management dept. So they did'nt have bad chemicals in them. Shoot with your snow fall and the run-off from that you would have it made in the shade.....lol. Insulate the downspout and pipes so they don't freeze and put the barrels inside the gh's....winky,winky. Worth a try anyway. And put a inexpensive fishy or two in there if mosquitos become a problem, no more skeetters and the fish leave behind nutrients for your plants!

Ok...now can someone send me an able body person in a bubble envie to dig a hole for a new pond for me.....lol.
The guy I hired did'nt show up yesterday. *&^$#@*

Regina

o

Thats what I thought Regina. I have pictures somewhere of my friend in Canada' setup. Barrels inside, downspouts wrapped with some sort of insulation.... the fish are a good idea! We can't do it here, not enough water falls from the sky to keep a good sized minnow (can you say BAIT) alive! (ha ha ha)

Frances

o
RE: update: ........ PS LGS

I'll come and dig your pond for plants..... (and tall cool drinks) lemme see if I got an envelope big enough.....

ha ha ha

Frances

o

LOL You two...I will dig for shelter and food..ahhahah :) Dug three already...I think I have it down now....Yup now I have more room with the new one..I am gonna do it..I have a 55 gallon barrell in there now that holds the water for winter time...I can attach a downspout and use heating tape to the gutters in the gh.. Great idea ladies..As soon as we put up the new one I will do this...Does anyone know chitownlady and would like to email her regarding this RR?..I havent heard from her and dont know if she is still interested or not...Napdognewfie either...Barb

o

Barb I just emailed you.. wanting to confirm I have the correct addr to mail to.

Thanks!
Wendy

o

I will check my email Wendy :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here