Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

update: tropical subtropical rr

rosepedal
15 years ago

Good morning everybody.. I went shopping yesterday and found this mass cane on clearance...It was a good day shopping. LOL

Comments (150)

• katieauthier
    15 years ago

Hey Regina
    would it be horticultural blasphemy to call bananas invasive weeds also? all thoses dead leaves and pups haha oh I think the lack of rain was affecting my brain (rhyming) when I mentioned the H word meant nice quiet summer with lots of rain lol

Hi Barb
    I will send in lots of bulbs for everyone and 2 purple ones to you for hosting this swap :)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have your seeds broke up Linda :) Another awesome selection! :)

Katie that is the sweetest of you! I just love how each of you have shown such generousity (sp ?) towards each other...This has been really inspiring....

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Hey Katie....I was thinking the same thing about the nanners....we sure do need some rain....hate to say it but almost would like to see some snow.......oh no now I said the s word....eee gads!

But on the bright side I have been picking maters and lettuce. The cool weather has been very good for the lettuce crop and I have to beat the mocking birds to the maters. But all in all has been pretty good.

Hey sassy....I was doing seeds right up till I shipped my envie off too. I just mailed mine off Monday. Went thru over two hundred seed bags. Was stuffing them in my sleep!
    I can't take a walk, bike ride, car ride,or go to the store without scoping out plants for seeds,cutting,or purchasing them. And lets not forget the seed catalogs and internet sites. All I have to say is I'm glad I'm not alone....lol. I have all my garden web buddies to share my addiction with......whoooohooohaahaaha.

night all

Regina

• katieauthier
    15 years ago

Hello my name is Regina and I'am an addict.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello my name is Frances and I thought I was an addict.... but I'm feeling better now!

ha ha ha!

I actually empty my seed box every year. I sow hundreds and hundreds.... then Give away all the leftovers to friends, family, newbies.... by April my seedbox will be ready for this season's collection!

Have a great day!

Frances

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Katie! Goodmorning everybody happy friday to ya...Big fifties today I cant believe it...I am hoping by the weekend all the snow will be melted. Time to celebrate and do the happy dance....Hmmmn Now I am hungry for a banana..

Regina I will keep a eye for them too...You seed snatcher..hahhaha :) Have a great day everybody...Time to water the gh...

• katieauthier
    15 years ago

Frances
    Are you sure your not hiding "something" in the back of the closet? denial denial denial

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

ha ha ha Katie...... denial! who me????

hide a little 'something' oh no! not me! never.....

well almost never......

ok, their might be a dusty ol' seed packet (or two) tucked away for a rainy day (rainy days are like hens teeth around here!)

ha ha ha!!!!

oh no the intervention has begun!!!! hide your seeds everyone, scrub those fingernails good!

• katieauthier
    15 years ago

Uh huh AA = ALWAYS ADDING

the dirt never really comes out from under the nails

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Rosepedal me
    2. Fcoffill **** Received seeds
    3. Karmahappytoes ****Received seeds
    4. Karyn1
    5. divahethr
    6. Chena **** Received seeds
    7. Kiddo **** Received seeds
    8. Chitownladyd
    9. Fool4flowers ****Received seeds

1. Dimples31312 ****Received seeds
    2. Ibartoo **** Received seeds
    3. Napdognewfie
    4. Ladylotus
    5. Grolike crazy
    6. zubababy ****Received seeds
    7. Barbcoleus **** Received seeds
    8. Givelittle_getlots **** Received seeds
    9. dige01991 ****Received seeds
    10. zoo-katie ****Received seeds
    11. chellflower ****Received seeds
    12. Sassybutterfly 2008
    13. ladygreensleeves ****Received seeds

Lol Katie and Frances...Received big envies again today..:) Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All I can say is wow! Regina just opened the big envy! I am jumping up and down again...The whole house is shaking..

LOL Everyone here is spoiled rotten again I tell ya! Thank you for my gift too...You are a sweety!!! :)

I have that put in that envy too.. :) Cyber hug to you...Barb

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Fingernails ....what fingernails!

Psssssst..... I've seen Katies seed collection too, cups, envies, pilies of seeds everywhere, and that was where she works!..........talk about being a addict.....sheeeeesh

Do I deny being a addict, no......do I want a cure.....nooooooooooo, perfectly happy being a gardenho.

I was wondering why my china was rattling in it's cabinet, thought it was an earthquake but it was just Barb ;)

Off to water the garden.....since nature is being so stingy with the rain.

Regina

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

*crackin up at you ladies here... ty for the laugh!

I spent the day raking and pruning the wild forest that was my mom's backyard... what a JOB I have ahead of me!! But goshdarnit, I need SUN back there! lol

Hugs,
    Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wendy just sing "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy." Good ole John Denver... :) I just went through all the envies checking for doubles. Shoo I tell ya this has been a blast.. :) You are all gonna love what you get..Every single one of you...Man we need more tropical RR's hahahh Just unbelivable I tell ya...I would have never thought this in a million years...Happy friday night everybody..I have to take some bacon out of the freezer for breakfast..Yummy...Have fun watering Regina...Our property is a lake with all of the snow melting :) I wish I could mail you some...

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Watch your mail box Barb, I just had a winfall!!!! Will be sending more seed your way on Monday.

Regina!! Bravo!!! I am already known as the crazy plant lady,
    I don't think anyone would be surprized to learn I am 'an addict'

Katie Always Adding perfect!

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Barb....wish you could mail some too....it's like a mohave desert here.

I can't begin to tell you ladies all the names the neighbors call me........ I am the plant lady, the dog lady, the cat lady, the vine lady, the wacko girl who talks to plants,the nature lady, the bird lady, the crazy lady with all the plants, the pot lady,the nice lady on the corner, and DH's personal favorite the plantho and a few that cant be printed here. I think if someone was to actually call me by my given name I would'nt reconize it.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everybody!

Frances I never win anything...LOL You lucky duck...We have a lot of seed in and still have a few people to go and their seeds. Wow I need another gh....I havent even started any tropical seeds or annuals and maters and peppers. Looks like I am taking over the kitchen table once again Lol...Maybe he will add on this year...:)

Regina my neighbor is a gardener with the most beutiful gardens. I cant help but look that way because it is so pretty. We are very good friends now she has taught me so much...That is how I started gardening because of her.. :)

My family thinks I am obsessed but they help me out with my obsession hahha they are enablers :) Heck I tell them I have two acres to cover with flowers no time for rest... 24 hours of nothing but desinging (sp) planting and researching...:) Have a great day everybody...8 days and counting till the seeds are due...Wow time flies by...Barb

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Wow! confession time. LOL I love knowing I am not alone. My teenage son calls me " obsessed", a plant nerd, a freak
    and actually accuses me of "making up my own language" LOL ( ie botanical names. hahaha)
    Hope everyone has a great day. Linda

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Barb my neighbors are gardners because of me. They come "shop" in my gardens and screened in porch for their plants. I have one who always says it feels like Christmas after visiting my garden. The gh is open for special trades and swaps ;>)

Our youngest(18)thinks Im a weirdo too that can spell out a botanical name but sounds like my own language when I try pronouncing it. Ok so I did'nt take latin like he did or his father did.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, but he has also seen me grow just about anything I wanted too. And in the weirdest stuff.....LOL. For example.....

Here's a school/scout project for the young one's to try. This makes a great Mothers Day project for them to take home.

All that is needed is some easy to grow flower seeds, planting mix, and egg shells.

Have the kids start saving egg shells, they should be clean of any residue and hopefully have been "cracked" in 2 uniform halfs. Save the carton too as these will hold the shells during the growth stage. A parent, teacher,or helper will need to poke a hole in the bottom of the shell for drainage.
    The kids then fill the shells with soil and their seed. Monitors are assigned for misting and watering as the plants grow.
    The plants are sent home the Friday before Mothers day in their very own egg pot, grown and cared for by the kids. A portion of the bottom of the egg crate can also be cut away and be sent with it. Egg shell and plant is planted in the garden as it is bio-degradable, and full of nutrients. The eggshell eventually dissolves and the hole also allows the roots to grow into the ground as the plant grows.

Have fun
    Regina

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy sunday everybody!

Linda hahha plant nerd that is a new one...Dont feel bad you are amongst other nerds...LOL

Regina thank so much for that idea. I am gonna do it with natasha... :) Can I come shopping too? I wish you were my neighbor...lol I gave up on botanical names along time ago..

I was at my neighbors and she was giggling at me. I was pronoucing everything incorrectly...hahah She just gets a kick out of it...But she teaches me too :)

I am up planting my brugs today! I bought this soil it is called pro mix and has sea weed compost in it.. I cant wait to run my fingers through that soil lol...I hope they like it....Have a great day everyone

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wishing you all a good work week! We got hit by a snow storm.... 40'S Tommorow..It will melt...Have a great evening...You seed lovers...hahhah

• kiddo
    15 years ago

.Hi everybody!
    I just got home from a "rare fruit growers" meeting
    I'm beat but so excited. This meeting was about grafting which I have a strong interest it. It's a good thing I didn't eat breakfast or lunch cause I ate a sample of just about any rare fruit you can name.I really enjoyed the tamarand .It has a date like taste..very good.I traded some of my plants for a sugar apple, a cherimoya,a loquat, and two rasberry starts.Sorry not much in the way of seeds.
    Great poeple great fun!
    It's hot and dry here....wonder if I could do a rain dance
    Frances finally got my seed box empty...wonders never cease
    have started anauals too. The wild flowers are up and blooming way earlier than in years past Wish you all(each of you) could see how beautiful the country is here
    later
    kiddo

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Just got these wonderful seeds from a very generous trader and wanted to share a few seeds with you, so I wondered if some of you would be interested in them :
    Maclura tricuspidata
    jatropha multifeda
    spicy jatropha
    3 piper nigrum seeds
    rattlebox tree
    yellow sophora
    dwarf red powderpuff
    pink sage
    summer blooming yellow and red small tree
    huge purple orchid tree seeds
    3 night blooming jasmin seeds
    dame rockets hesperis
    2 red yucca seeds
    morning glory vine tricolor Ensign
    pink coral vine
    jewel of opar
    primrose polyantha
    barleria cristata
    yellow turnera
    hot pink oleander
    yellow butterfly weed
    candlestick tree
    celosia cristata
    mexican oleander
    red cape honeysuckle
    brazilian button bush
    winter cassia
    malvaviscu drummondi
    coral porter weed
    hummingbird vine red
    red sage
    brazillian rock rose
    beauty berry
    white sage
    giant red salvia
    flame acanthus
    pink rock rose
    mammoth sunflower
    4 oclocks yellow fuschia
    dwarf poinceana pink, yellow, red
    double blue peavine

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everybody!

Kiddo that sounds like a lot of fun and you got to eat the fruit too...What a fun way to meet other gardeners in your area.....

Grolikecrazy you have some great offerings there..I cant believe this is the lst week of the RR..I bet you all are getting excited for your seeds... :) Soon they will be home to you....Happy monday everybody!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

G'morning everyone :)

Barb just letting you know my pkg will be going out in tomorrow's mail. I'm going to try to finish my sorting this evening.

Happy Monday!
    ~Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Wendy!

I will keep my eyes peeled for them....Happy sorting :)

I have been repotting scented geraniums today to bigger pots...Wow do those smell good...:) Absoutely yummy...

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Katie!

The Crinum lily bulblets are here for everybody..That was fast...They are cute bulblets...Thank you for sharing them with us all..:)Youre a sweetheart... Lol I cant believe they are weeds there...I wish I had your weeds...:)

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

HI Everyone, I just popped in to say I can't wait for this swap! I keep reading about all of the different seeds and I just get so excited.

Work is really busy today, but maybe tomorrow I can get online more.
    Have a great day, LInda

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I don't have much time to post, I'm studying for my midterm this week. A big snow storm is on the way, tomorrow should be interesting! I will get caught up on the posts and post another message later this week.

Hope everyone's having a good week! Barb, watch out for this big storm, I bet it will hit you after we get buried!

Amy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everyone!

Linda I hope work slows down for you a little bit. You have to have time to plant your new seeds...:)

Amy good luck on your midterm !...I dont miss that at all...I am seeing we might just miss that storm. I think it is the one north of us...Yahoo...We received 6 inches sunday and is now melting....Have a great day everybody...Barb

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Weeell, i don't want to pay extra postage for unwanted seeds(tropical seeds posted a few posts up), sooo, I'll just mail the run of the mill ones(sweet peas, trumpet vines, brazilian morning glory) that seem to always be wanted.
    Maybe I'll wait for another day or two, if the hostess doesn't mind, to see if anybody want some of these.
    Chris

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Chris I know there's 6 I'd love out of them but I didn't think we were allowed to pick & choose..lol

I googled every single one tho! hehe

~Wendy

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Chris....I agree with Wendy I see some I would love as well. I sent a wish list and would be more than happy to add to it :>) for instance:
    Your dwarf powderpuff,coral vine,jewel of opar,coral porterweed,and hummingbird vine caught my eye. So I'm sure your seeds would be very much appreciated by all who receive them.
    We just sat here and drooled on ourselfs when we read that wonderful list of seeds you offered to share.

Amy good luck on the mid-terms!

Hope all those that got hit with the newest storm are digging out and doing ok.....stay warm and safe ya'll.

Regina

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Hey All,
    Just stopping in to say Hello
    Have not been on the computer much the last few days.
    The weather has been beautiful and I have been enjoying it.
    Happy Gardening everyone,
    Dorothy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning!

Frances your envy made it here yesterday :) Thank you for the extra postage....

Chris you can send in the seeds with wendys and Regina's name on them if you would like...I gotta run....

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

I finally had some time to read through all the posts here. My life seems like a whirlwind right now. I usually use my winter months to get prepared for my summer of gardening, such as preparing labels, planting all my seeds etc. But I'm really behind and just getting started. ha ha.

We just got through a snowstorm and am looking forward to the temps reaching the upper 30's this weekend..woooo hoooo

Barb, I sent off my package of seeds on Monday so you should get them today. I sure hope everyone enjoys them. I can not wait to see all the seeds. How fun eh?

Regina, you made me laugh out loud!!! I am so addicted I can't even describe the feeling of need. ha ha. It's crazy.

I can only imagine...I'm sure the neighbors think I'm nutz. I'm sure they see me outside practically before the sun rises in my pj's with my coffee gazing like I'm lost as I walk through my gardens, not to mention my evening strolls with a flashlight, loads and loads of bagged leaves I bring in and pile on my tender plants each fall, the many strange things I bring in by the pickup loads AND I love the rain so I'm out there taking in the rain walking through my gardens and trying to take photos with a bag over my camera. I can't imagine the names I'm called. ha ha I'm better off not knowing.

Thank you to everyone in advance for taking all the time to put together and for sharing your seeds. I can not wait to rummage through the package. Barb, thank YOU for putting such a wonderful seed exchange together and encouraging me to participate. You are a wonderful person.

~Tj~

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Chris ~ yay! In that case the 6 I was really excited over were: Yellow Sophora, Night blooming Jasmine, Barleria Cristata, Dwarf Poinciana Pink / Yellow **REALLY loved this one!!, Flame Acanthus and Pink Rock Rose.

THANKYOU!! :)

Off to take yet another child to the doc today.. *sighh

~Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a morning al is down at the other house three hours away and we had 50 mph wind gusts all night...A couple of tree limbs down no harm...Well I went out to the gh and a window blew out along with a panel....Thank goodness I also have a kerosene heater in there as a back up along with the gas heater...Nothing lost can you believe it....Kerosenne heater was going full blast...It must of just happened...I have the window sitting there until he gets home and I keep looking out the living room window checking it...Someone up stairs was really watching out for us...Shhhhooooo what a morning...:)

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I guess when they say March roars in like a lion they really mean it don't they?

Glad to hear there was no major damage done rosepetal.Those winds can we wicked.

And really glad ya'll appreciate my humor,not everyone does. I do my best to find humor in every situation, otherwise I would go totally wacko......ok I'll admit it I already are, but at least I'm a happy wacko!

Wendy....don't blame ya for really liking the Dwarf Poinciana/Pride of Barbadoes. They are somewhat native here along with the Royal Poincietta. I bet you would really like the Jacaranda too. All tropical trees that have a flush of beautiful flowers. And not all that difficult to start and grow from seed either.
    Hope your kiddos are all ok too.

Well off to water everything, mother nature still being stingy with the rain.

Regina

• divahethr
    15 years ago

Hi sorry I haven't sent in my seeds yet I'm still working on them what happened I ordered seeds back in mid Feb and they didn't come and I wasn't charged so I ordered more from another co. Well the first set came today and hopefully the others will come tomorrow and I will send them in priority. Hope I'm not holding up the train too much. And Grolikecrazy those are some droolin seeds you listed. Take care and thank you.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Barb ~ I'm so glad you didn't sustain any worse damage.. We had lotsa wind last night but it wasn't to the point of doing any damage.. just that feeling of the wind blowing on you when you're walking on the beach.. if only...lol

My seeds were supposed to go out earlier this week.. but I got sidetracked w/ sick children yet again. They ARE finally done and packaged up and will go out priority tomorrow a.m. Sorry for the delay!

Hugs everyone!
    Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goomorning Everybody!

Regina you have a fab sense of humor...I sure wish you would get some rain down there..We all will have to do a rain dance for you...LOL

Divaheath I had the same problem with a order..Dont worry please...:) They arent due till the 15th...

Wendy you poor thing now a sick child..I hope they get better quickly for you... I went and bought some bigger envies at walmart...LOL They wont fit in the smaller ones.. I am wishing you all a great day today...I will soon have anotehr gh to add on to the one I have...I can grow brugs all year round now and not have to take cuttings to overwinter...Yahoo Yippee...Now if I could just figure out how to get the ground not to freeze every year so I dont have to lug water out there all winter long..LOL

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Wow Barb! so glad you were not hurt, wind can be very treacherous! Two GH!!!! I am trying to convince my DH that we realy need one! very very cool...

I am wondering if you couldn't do some sort of a rain barrel with a bubbler to keep the water from freezing. If you could put the barrels inside the GH with pipes to catch roof run-off you might be able to put all that snow/rain to work for you!

Anyway have a great day everyone

Frances

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Rosepedal me
    2. Fcoffill **** Received seeds
    3. Karmahappytoes ****Received seeds
    4. Karyn1
    5. divahethr
    6. Chena **** Received seeds
    7. Kiddo **** Received seeds
    8. Chitownladyd
    9. Fool4flowers ****Received seeds

1. Dimples31312 ****Received seeds
    2. Ibartoo **** Received seeds
    3. Napdognewfie
    4. Ladylotus **** Received seeds
    5. Grolike crazy
    6. zubababy ****Received seeds
    7. Barbcoleus **** Received seeds
    8. Givelittle_getlots **** Received seeds
    9. dige01991 ****Received seeds
    10. zoo-katie ****Received seeds
    11. chellflower ****Received seeds
    12. Sassybutterfly 2008
    13. ladygreensleeves ****Received seeds

TJ Received your awesome seeds today! Wow yahoo....I am hoping to get these all out to you all next week early monday or tuesday hopefully. There is only two traders I have not heard anything from...I am unsure of them participating or not...

Frances thank you so much for the rain barrell idea we have been thinking how we could set one up...

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Barb.....Ive seen plans for setting up rain barrels on-line, complete with how to connect them all together and everything. Seen it on craigslist too. I got my barrels(free) from a neighbor who works for the water management dept. So they did'nt have bad chemicals in them. Shoot with your snow fall and the run-off from that you would have it made in the shade.....lol. Insulate the downspout and pipes so they don't freeze and put the barrels inside the gh's....winky,winky. Worth a try anyway. And put a inexpensive fishy or two in there if mosquitos become a problem, no more skeetters and the fish leave behind nutrients for your plants!

Ok...now can someone send me an able body person in a bubble envie to dig a hole for a new pond for me.....lol.
    The guy I hired did'nt show up yesterday. *&^$#@*

Regina

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Thats what I thought Regina. I have pictures somewhere of my friend in Canada' setup. Barrels inside, downspouts wrapped with some sort of insulation.... the fish are a good idea! We can't do it here, not enough water falls from the sky to keep a good sized minnow (can you say BAIT) alive! (ha ha ha)

Frances

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I'll come and dig your pond for plants..... (and tall cool drinks) lemme see if I got an envelope big enough.....

ha ha ha

Frances

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL You two...I will dig for shelter and food..ahhahah :) Dug three already...I think I have it down now....Yup now I have more room with the new one..I am gonna do it..I have a 55 gallon barrell in there now that holds the water for winter time...I can attach a downspout and use heating tape to the gutters in the gh.. Great idea ladies..As soon as we put up the new one I will do this...Does anyone know chitownlady and would like to email her regarding this RR?..I havent heard from her and dont know if she is still interested or not...Napdognewfie either...Barb

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Barb I just emailed you.. wanting to confirm I have the correct addr to mail to.

Thanks!
    Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will check my email Wendy :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz