Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

Ice Storm~ Thank you's!! and Pictures

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

I first want to THANK everyone that has sent cards & packages to my family. I wish I could express how much it has meant to us (to ME!) to know that ya'll care and want to help us out. I truly have missed everyone here, and I can't WAIT to get swapping & chatting again! But, it'll be a few more weeks (I hope that's all, anyway!) before things get really settled down here. We've still got bugs to work out with the electric wires -some are still on the ground!- and we've got TONS of clean-up still to do. But for now, the electric is on (THANK YOU, LORD!! LOL!) and I'm able to post. :O)

It has been amazing, though, to see how neighbors have been pitching in to help each other. I know we would've NEVER gotten our driveway cleared if we hadn't had some help (and a neighbor with a VERY large tractor!). We've been helping my 81yr grandmother clear her property, and helping my parents as well. They just got phone service & electric back yesterday, though that new skylight in their roof is going to take a bit more time to fix! :O)

I really REALLY wish I could tell ya'll how much your friendship has meant to me, not just in the past few weeks, but for the last 2 years. This has been a challenging time for me, for our family, and it has really blessed us just knowing that we weren't alone in this....that there WERE people that cared enough to help us out. The cards & packages have helped so much to cheer us up, and they have, or course, helped financially, too.

Here are some EARLY pictures of the ice storm, it very quickly got MUCH too dangerous to be outside.

This is the south side of our house & driveway. Every tree in the picture, aside from the magnolia & the pines broke completely the next day.color>

{{gwi:1245869}}

{{gwi:1245871}}

This is the other side of our driveway. EVERY tree in these pictures fell....One on the truck, one on the shed & the others in the yard. One took out the power lines from the house & ripped the breaker boxes off the laundry building & house...we had lines down, and we still need to replace the pole.

It sounded like a warzone, with all the crashing and booming of the falling limbs & trees. Every few seconds for 24 hours ...and then every so often after that. I though it'd NEVER get quiet around here again!color>

{{gwi:1245873}}

{{gwi:1245875}}

{{gwi:1245878}}

{{gwi:1245881}}

{{gwi:1245884}}

{{gwi:1245887}}

{{gwi:1245890}}

We eventually got 3" of ice, so you can see why every tree fell!

These pictures I took just to show how destructively beautiful it was.color>

{{gwi:1245892}}

{{gwi:1245894}}

Again, I really wish I could express my gratitude to everyone.

I hope ya'll know how much I (we!) appreciate everything. :O)

Love & Hugs,

Melissa

Comments (15)

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So glad you got your electric on! Wonderful to hear from you! I know what you mean about being awhile to clean it all up! My place looked like yours! We've been cutting and cleaning for weeks and still have a long way to go! Just so thankful that none of you were hurt!
    Isn't it amazing that their are still wonderful people out there!
    Welcome back! Melinda

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Melissa,

So glad your electric is back. I am just glad that we were all able to pitch in and help you out when you needed it.

Tammy

• veeja11
    15 years ago

YAY !!!! BUNNY IS BACK !!!! we have all missed you. hope things get back to normal soon. your kindness and loving ways has made you lots of friends here. gardeners are good people. We all love you and wanted to help, glad we were able to. give big hugs to hubby and all the kids. we are just happy you are all okay. love you. carol

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Melinda! There are SO many wonderful people, I don't think I could begin to thank them all!
    I'm also thankful that EVERYONE in our area was kept safe. If clean-up & repairs to houses & cars and replacing lost food are ALL we all have to do, then we're blessed. It could have been so much worse.
    I'm glad to hear that you're doing OK, too, Melinda! Please let your son know how much we appreciate his offer of help.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUNNY's BACK WAVING HELLO BUNNY GIRL (WAVING!!)

HUGS Dear I know it was roguh going on you! and sure it still is!

:) Fran (thats MAMA Fran to you!)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad you've got electricity back! I know it'll still be a long road to clean up and replace/repair stuff. Thanks so much for the pictures. In a way, it is beautiful... It's crazy sometimes to see both spectrums of things. How are the kids doing? I bet it was pretty tough on them, too. I'm sorry you all had to go through this. My prayers are continuing for you and your family to get back to "normal" as best as possible.

Blessings,
    Angela

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

((HUG)) Bunny is back! Glad to hear that you're getting through everything..slowly...but still getting through!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

yippee!! Super big hugs to you sweetie! So glad to 'hear' from you and know that things are progressing even if at a slow rate. Sooo happy to see you on here and know you all are ok!

HUGS!!!
    ~Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

BUNNY'S BACK! OH YEAH! OH YEAH!

It's great to have you back, safe and sound!!! It's also great to know everyone made it through all this, and is continuing to do so!!! Give'em all hugs from all of us!!!

-Dan, Bump, & Stella

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Glad to have you back Bunny! You make our GW family complete!
    -B

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Hey sweetie!!!!! So glad you're back and the lights are back on! We've all missed you so much!!

HUGS,
    Kathy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Melissa,

Glad you and your family are okay and things are getting back to normal!

Love the pictures - I have never been an ice storm. Very interesting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awww...Dan, I only WISH I was that relaxed! LOL!

You're right, Marie...it is beautiful. I just wish it didn't come with the destruction. :O)

Here's one quick "after" picture, it's horrible because I forgot to reset the white balance on the camera. All the downed trees had to be removed with the tractors, and our utility pole (what's left of it!) is still propped up with 2x4's. The back side of both buildings were hit & smushed....but thankfully, you can't see those from the road! :O)

{{gwi:1245898}}

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    So glad you and your family are doing better. You have been in my prayers. Take care, Amy

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Melissa,

Thinking of you and all your bunnies...be well and be safe!

Annie