Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

new: incredible edibles: spring fling swap

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Welcome to the Incredible Edibles: SPRING FLING SWAP for March.

In honor of two spring holidays Patrick's Day and Easter, we will be exchanging seeds for edibles that are green or pastel colored. You may also include holiday themed veggies, such as Irish Cobbler potatoes, Jelly Bean tomatoes, or Easter Egg radishes.

Please put your seeds and misc goodies that you will be sending to your partner in a small easter basket,bucket or planter. Please keep it small. If you'd like to make the box you are sending look like an easter basket on the inside that would be great too! :) Be creative and have fun!!! :)

Partners will be assigned on February 27th.

Deadline to send your package to your partner: March 6th

You are required to send at least 6 packets of seeds. (You may send opened packets but they must be equal to 6 full packets of seeds. You can also decide with your partner if you'd like to send more.)

If you have any questions about this swap or it's specifics please either post here, or email me and I will respond ASAP.

Happy (almost) Spring!!!

Bonnie

Comments (40)

• heyitzbenny
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey sign me up! =P

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Luking, lurking, lurking! I overextended myself a little bit this month, but things should be calming down with the swaps I'm involved in the end of next week. I can give you a better idea if I can after that (It's not a matter of wanting to!) Love the idea of the swap though. So much to play with, with Spring Fling being the theme!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, heyitzbenny! Glad to have you!

Hey, Becky! I know what you mean! I think I was in 6 or 7 different swaps last month. It was a bit crazy. The sticky notes were beginning to take over my desk, LOL! I sent out my last 2 packages yesterday though, so now I'm ready for the next one. I hope you decide to join!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I'm In! SOunds like fun! Christy

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Me too! Me too! Can I play?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Christy and Scottrell! Glad to have you both!

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Sign me up for the fun too! :D I already have some goodies for this one...

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So far we have:

Heyitzbenny
    Bonechickchris/Christy
    Scottrell
    Southerncharm1/Kathy
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

... and Becky's on the fence, LOL.

So, who else wants to join in the fun?

• opie12
    15 years ago

I want in :-)
    Melissa

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I'm going to have to pass on this one. i have too many going on at the moment. :-(

Sounds like fun though. Everyone have a ball.

Tammy

• journey149
    15 years ago

i would like to join lmk

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Melissa and journey149! Thanks for joining!

Here is who we have so far:

Heyitzbenny
    Bonechickchris/Christy
    Scottrell
    Southerncharm1/Kathy
    Opie12/Melissa
    Journey149
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

We're off to a good start! Since there are some names that I'm not familiar with, does anyone want to share a little about themselves, or their garden?

I'll start. My vegetable garden is really more of a "veggie patch". It's only about 60 sq.ft. and located in the front yard. In that small space, I've grown tomatoes, peppers, peas, lettuce, Swiss chard, spinach, beans, carrots, cucumbers, miniature pumpkins, canteloupes, broccoli, onions, basil, and marigolds. I also have an herb bed for perennial herbs, and grow annual herbs in pots on the porch.

Here is a picture taken late in the season last year. The cucumbers were taking over the empty lot next door, and the tomatoes were a jungle.
    {{gwi:434173}}

... and here is a shot of the herb bed. There's two kinds of sage, two kinds of parsley, oregano, thyme, French tarragon, chives, garlic chives, lavender, and agastache (hummingbird mint) in there.
    {{gwi:434170}}

I'd love to see photos of everyone else's garden!

Bonnie

• opie12
    15 years ago

What a beautiful garden!

Well, I don't know how many sq ft to say my garden is.....last year I had four rows that I would say are about 25-30 ft. each. I had tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, beans (which the deer ate), corn (which the raccoons ate), and peppers. I also had a seperate melon patch with several different types of melons. Tried to grow some herbs on my porch, but it didn't turn out well, think I may have started too late? Anyway, gonna try again this year. Also, my husband is going to move my garden spot and give me a bit more room....I have a ton of new things that I wanns try this year! I love many veggies, but right now I am kinda hung up on tomatoes and melons (which is why I'm hosting a melon/cuke swap :-), and we've already had some mater swaps that I am really excited about getting seeds back from :-)
    We live out in the country, so I have a LOT of room for my garden, my biggest problem is keeping the critters outta it :-) I think I am going to try corn in earthtainers on the deck this year. Haven't figured out what to do to keep the deer outta the beans though....can't afford an electric fence right now. Last year was really the first year that I got really into my garden and started things from seed and such. I (of course) messed up the first batch of seeds I started during hardening off and so I had to restart and was a little later than I should have been getting things in the ground, but we live and learn :-) I did learn a lot last year and am SO looking forward to this year. It will be time to start seeds here in a week or two :-) My boys (4 & 2) are also exciting to help me in the garden this year....they have their own little tools and gloves....so cute :-) I also have a couple of flower beds with a wide variety of flowers in them and many bulbs that I grow in various places around my yard.
    Sorry, I don't have any pics from last year of the whole garden, just a few of individual flowers and veggies.

• gardenfairy04
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!!

First...count me in!! I am a newbie but i have become addicted. This is my second swap sign up in a week. I think I will put myself on sabaticle after this one.

I am just starting my veggie garden but hope to have lots of veggies to keep me busy!! I am also going to plant lots of herbs. (We use tons of herbs and spices because due to health issues we cannot use salt.)I also have a flower bed in the front of my house that I have some sort of bulbs I think coming in but since I just moved into this house I am not sure what they are yet...it will be a great surprise.

I also have an over grown bush in the front of the house. I call it my "mock" tree. I plan on finding some shade plants an dmaybe flowers to put at the base of it. I will definately post pictures as soon as I get started. I have been out all day weeding and getting it ready for planting. I also planted some seeds today for lemon basil and tabasco peppers in some starter pots. We'll see if they take.

A liitle about me and my family. I am 28 and my fiance is 27. He has heart problems and that is our motivation for the veggie garden. He has had 1 heart attack in Aug. 07 and currently has 4 stents, (one put in last week). This is a hereditary condition so its something we just have to deal with the best we can. I also have four kids so a veggie garden will save us alot of money!! LOL

Thanks all!! I am excited to get swapping!!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa, your garden sounds like a nice size. Mine is curved on one side, so I'm just guessing at the sq.ft. It's about 5' x 12', and I would love to have more space. We have deer and raccoons (and skunks and bunnies) here too, but so far most of the damage has been to my flower beds, and to one of our apple trees. The deer love tulips and daylilies! I try to plant perennials that are deer resistant, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I think it's great that your boys help you in the garden! My older son, asked me to make pickles this past year, so we grew cucumbers, and he helped me learn to can. It was fun learning together. We also made salsa, jams and jellies.

Gardenfairy04, so glad you decided to join us! These swaps are addicting aren't they? It's great that you are planting herbs. My family got just as much use out of the herb bed as we did the vegetable garden. I LOVED being able to just walk out there and snip whatever we needed for dinner each night, and they taste so much better fresh. I brought a few herbs indoors over the winter, but they are just barely hanging on. I'll be glad when it warms up enough to put them back outside, where they will be happy again. I'm sorry to hear about your fiance's heart condition. At least you know he'll be eating healthy, if you are growing your own food.

Anyone else want to share a bit about their garden, or themselves? I LOVE to see pictures of other folks gardens!

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Wow, it's great to see all these new names! :) Glad to have everyone join us. I had a very small garden last year for trial and error. I made it bigger for the Fall and then we got a Tropical storm that flooded our yard and killed everything. Hopefully everything will be better this year. :) My garden was approximately 7ft. X 12. Then I doubled it so it was 7ft X 24ft. Hoping to extend it this year to 60ft. X 20ft. We have an acre of yard in the back so it will give me plenty more room now that I know what I can grow well. Hoping to be able to can a few things, even if it's only pickles I'll know that I have succeeded! lol

So far this year we have built the kids a Teepee and will grow lots of beans on that and will double as a sort of play house. lol We'll get the ground tilled up this weekend coming and start planting next week. It's been so cold here it is making us have a later start than we originally planned. My herbs are doing fantastic though!!! Some of them went to seed when we had that first frost, and they have started to grow again. I love seeing the first little sprouts!!!

Bonnie, you had a beautiful garden!!! I love the herb garden too. We've got all of our herbs in pots, we hope to build a raised bed for them this time around. :) My DH is infatuated with raised beds and trellising. I told him we can't make the garden as big as I want it if we make them all raised! ROFL I have opted to share my seeds, and he gets his own raised bed gardens. I'm impressed that he's even showing the least bit of excitement to gardening. Plus he likes to use the "big power tool" (Tiller) ROFLMBO!!! I tried to explain to him that he doesn't get to use that big toy in his gardens if he makes raised beds. LOL

Gardenfairy, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a big family. We have five kids. :) Although they are his mine and ours they are with us more than the majority of time. There is never a dull moment around here. lol Glad to see you all eating healthier as a family!!! That's fantastic. :D

Opie12, last year was a very big trial and error for us! LOL But yes, we live and learn. I got a really late start last year, was looking at the wrong zone calendar. HAHA! But this year I've had some great expert advice on when to start, hopefully we get some great edibles out of the garden this year! I really can't wait to taste some of those home grown maters!!! :D

A little about me. I am 28 and a stay at home mom. I love gardening and love all the friends that I have made due to gardening. I think gardeners are the best people with the kindest hearts!!! :D I have been married for just over 5 years to the love of my life. I enjoy playing in the dirt, swapping plants and seeds and doing crafty things. I enjoy sewing, amateur photography and spending time with my family. Most of my kids enjoy gardening and growing plants in general, I'm so proud of them. My husband is Assistant Lot Manager at the Florida Auto Auction. AND is the biggest dork I've ever loved!!! ROFL

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am enjoying getting to know a little bit about everyone! Kathy, I think I have space envy! An acre in the back? My whole lot is probably less than a quarter acre! But you know, when I've had a garden friend from out of town stop by, she can't believe how much stuff I have crammed into that tiny space, LOL! It teaches you space management, and succession planting. I'm still working on my timing though. Last year, I only got two canteloupes because I kept waiting on the peas to finish up. I only have so much trellis space. Next time I'll stick them in between the pea plants, and by the time the canteloupes start to vine, I'll just cut the peas down.

Anywho, here is who we have so far:

Heyitzbenny
    Bonechickchris/Christy
    Scottrell
    Southerncharm1/Kathy
    Opie12/Melissa
    Journey149
    Gardenfairy04
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Anyone else want to sign up? Or share a little about themselves?

Those of you that are new, if you have questions, and are afraid to ask them here, please don't hesitate to email me.

Bonnie

• heyitzbenny
    15 years ago

Hey Bonnie,

I'm sooooo sorry but actually I'm going to have to sit this one out too. I'll be sending you an email tonight when I get home.

Ben

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ben, I'm sorry you won't be able to join us on this one : (

Doesn't anyone else have pictures of their garden? DH says I take more pictures of the garden than I do our kids. It's only because the plants hold still for the picture, LOL.

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

LOL Bonnie, that is so true isn't it!!! I didn't take many pics last year. I would share if I had some though. :) I will definitely take some pics this year though. I can't wait to get the ground tilled up!!! I was wondering if there was something that would keep the bugs down before they get started. I've gotten plenty of Marigold seeds and I don't want to use pesticides unless it's a very last resort. Any suggestions?

I would love to hear more about everyones gardens. Especially all the new unfamiliar peeps. :) Don't be shy, we don't bite around here. :D lol

• opie12
    15 years ago

Bonnie,
    I saw you mention that you plant perrinials that are deer resistant....what are the names of a few of those? I would like to give that a try to keep them away! I have two dogs, but they are of no use as far as the deer go....I think they may actually be afraid of the deer...lol!
    Oh, I noticed some of y'all wrote a little about yourself too...so, I am 28, have two boys that I mentioned before, and two step daughters, but they live quite a bit away from us, so we only get them 2-3 times a year. Oh, I am a second grade teacher also. With spring coming we will be doing a unit on plants *smile* How could I not show them how to plant a seed and watch it grow :-)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa, the things in my garden that they don't seem interested in are Achillea (Yarrow), Agastache, Asclepias tuberosa, Coreopsis, Echinacea, and Gaillardia. They also don't seem to like the herbs, such as lavender, sage, thyme, and chives. The things they really seem to enjoy in my garden are sedums, which grow so fast, and I have so many, that I just accept the nibbling, and things like Heuchera, Aquilegia, Geum and of course Tulips and Daylilies. Oh, and they love my absolute favorite shrub Physocarpus opulifolius 'Coppertina', which I refuse to give up!

I found a list (linked below) that has quite a few plants on it, that you might want to check out.

The good thing about the deer where I live is that they go up into the mountains in the summertime, so the damage is mainly in the spring.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer resistant plants

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi, I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts!
    There are a number of us with big families, DH and I have four daughters. Heather 21, amanda 19, Michelle, 10 and Chelsea 9. We have lived in Florida for four and a half years. We are transplants from NJ.

Gardening in a different zone has been a challenge. Especially the BUGS!
    Southerncharm, I have found companion planting to help some, I also add as much organic material as possible to my veggie bed, (Manure, kitchen scraps, shredded paper etc.) Nematodes do not like anything organic! I know the tropical storm you mentioned - Faye! Right? We are almost neighbors, I live in PSL. I had a papaya tree go down in that storm, the ground was too mushy and wet and I could not prop it up. Out of frustration, I threw it over the fence into the wooded lot next door. Wouldn't you know a couple of weeks later it was still alive and reaching for the sun. So I brought it back and it is doing fine, I hope to get some fruit this summer.

Opie, you can contact your local extension, they will be able to provide you a list of plants that are dear resistant in your area.

I went shopping yesterday and got some fun goodies for my box. I can't wait to find out who my partner is!

Nice to meet you all! Sharon

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Bonnie, would you please include me??

Thanks,
    Joan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joan, so glad you are going to join us on this one!

Here is who we have signed up so far:

Bonechickchris/Christy
    Scottrell
    Southerncharm1/Kathy
    Opie12/Melissa
    Journey149
    Gardenfairy04
    Ejmoore510
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

There is still a couple of weeks left to sign up, if any of you lurkers want to join in : )

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

... bump

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I hope you are all having a wonderful Valentines weekend!!! :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How was everyone's Valentine's Day? DH watched our 2 year old daughter, and I took the boys birdwatching, since this weekend was the Great Backyard Bird Count. We went down by the river, and got extremely lucky ... we saw two Bald Eagles!!! We cooked a nice dinner at home that night, since we didn't have a babysitter, and DH even washed the dishes! Can't complain about that, LOL. Today he took me to Lowe's and I bought a new planter for the front porch, and of course a few more packets of seeds. Then we went to the feed store and bought T-posts for my tomato plants, since the regular plant stakes I used last year snapped in half during a windstorm. Forget diamonds and chocolates, I'd rather have stuff for the garden, LOL!

Oh, and I picked up somethings for this swap too!

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I'm having so much fun getting goodies together for this swap!!! lol I have already put in my seed order and possibly will put in another before we're finished. I've got it bad, I know. But there are just sooooo many great looking edibles out there. :D

We didn't have a sitter for the twins Saturday either, so we had a nice relaxing evening and just hung around the house watching a movie. I considered it a break! lol :D

Bonnie, if you would like to post partners a bit earlier than you were going to that would be fine. I think a lot of the people on here are tied up in the bigger swaps that are going on. We could still keep the sending date though. What do ya think?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's fine with me either way. I'll leave it up to everyone else. So, if those that have signed up would post if that's okay, than I'll go ahead and work on assigning partners.

• opie12
    15 years ago

Glad y'all had a nice weekend, mine was rather busy! DH works swing shift, so we went out to breakfast instead of lunch or dinner. Spent the rest of the afternoon with the boys, and going around delivering goodies to grandmas :-) Sunday night I started some of my tomato seeds :-) Very exciting :-)

Lol, I know what you mean about so many great looking edibles! I have a few orders out myself, and have been looking at a couple of other places that I think can get an order to me in a reasonable amount of time....so many places are so backed up this time of year...lol, all of us ordering seeds :-)

I am fine with partners being posted sooner.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I think I have emailed everyone that hasn't posted about assigning partners early. The extra time would help those that are thinking about ordering anything for their partner, or haven't had a chance to shop yet. I'll give it another day to hear back from everyone, and hopefully I'll be able to post partners either tomorrow or Thursday.

I bought a few more goodies today, the only thing I'm missing is the actual container, LOL! This was a fun swap to shop for!

Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I am all for posting partners early! It will give us time to get our stuff together for the ship out date! I cant wait! Christy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I sent you emailed. Posting partners early is ALWAYS great!

Thanks,
    Joan

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hello!

I think it would be great to find out who our partners are going to be!

My daughters and I planted tons seeds yesterday. Lots of tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, peas, soy beans, okra etc.
    Oh and lots of flowers, gotta have flowers!
    We harvested most of the brocoli, just a little bit left for this season. We should have some sugar snap peas any day now.

What are you guys doing?
    Sharon

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, I've wintersown several kinds of lettuce, spinach, herbs, and quite a few perennial and hardy annual flowers. The peppers I plan to sow indoors in another week or two, and then I'll start on the tomatoes. I can't wait to see those first sprouts!

Since everyone seems to be fine with posting partners early, I'll plan on posting them in the morning.

THIS IS THE LAST CALL TO SIGN UP FOR THIS SWAP. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING, PLEASE POST ON THIS THREAD BY TOMORROW MORNING.

Okay lurkers, it's decision time, LOL!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Sorry kids, I'm going to sit this one out. I'll be lurking though! :)

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hello!

May I humbly suggest that we all add a "For swappers section" to our trade page? I have found this to be extremely helpful in past swaps I have participated in. I would love to see what my partners likes and dislikes are in case I decide to add a little extra somethin' somethin' in my box. I would hate to send someone a vanilla candle or peat pellets if this is something they would not like or use.

Anyone else?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We'll miss you Becky! Feel free to drop in just to chat : )

That's a good suggestion Sharon. It also would be a good idea to make sure your trade lists are updated.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PARTNERS HAVE BEEN POSTED FOR THIS SWAP. PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO THE NEW THREAD.

Thanks for joining, and have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: I.E. Spring Fling Swap Partners