Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

UPDATE: Secret Squirrel is in the home stretch

beth_b_kodiak
17 years ago

Rita, You are not late. You are in good time.

Tomorrow is the last "Mail By" date. I guess for those who have access to postal services on Sunday, That is OK too.

Your buddy is not late yet either. We hope for delivery by the end of the month which is Wednesday but the squirrels will be still running around looking for treats so I guess there is a bit of slack for finishing up.

Thanks a whole bunch to Klick for the really cute mug.It is decorated with squirrels, acorns leaves and coffee cups. What a great gift.

I'll try to post a picture later but right now, I'm going to brew up a fresh pot of coffee. There is a very cold wind blowing here today. Coffee sounds good. Irish coffee sounds even better.

Hugs to all

Beth

Comments (50)

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Hi Beth,

I got your box today. Unfortunately the glove and the pot were broken beyond repair. But the squirrel will be back in th email on Monday.

Thank you for all my goodies, I love everything.

Thankl you for this swap it was fun, I have one more to send out to my pal.

Susan in NC

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1246369}}

Just wanted to let my pal know that I received her package today. What a cute squirrel! I love it and thanks so much. Will definitely remind me of this swap. I also got peanut/seed suet and a holder for it (for the birds) and a Pay Day, Reese's Crispy Crunchy Bar, and 2 Reese's Big Cups with Nuts (I will be nice and let my husband have one of the Reese's Cups...)
    Anyway, as always, this was fun. Thanks for being hostess, Beth.
    I mailed my final package this afternoon so it is on its way to GA.

Have a good weekend, everyone!
    Sandlapper

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan If the squirrel arrived you need to post what snack he brought so we know if your buddy is a winner. Then you guess what his favorite snack might be and send that on to the next person.
    Sorry to hear the things were broken. That is very frustrating for both the sender and the receiver. No fun there.
    Beth

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello all;
    I love the innocence of sandlapper thinking the suet would be eaten by the birds. Anyone want to take bets? I, also have enjoyed this, the graphics were worth getting involved and the boxes were just the icing on the cake. Thanks to Beth for hosting this. By the way, the garden decorating round robin for March could stand a few more players. Have a great rest of the month. diene

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Look who arrived here in NW Iowa today!!!
    {{gwi:1246371}} Nuts brought me some "Do Si Do" peanut butter creme Girl Scout cookies from Michelle! I will try to convince Nuts to leave in the morning...we are in a winter storm warning. Nothing but fierce winds yet...rain and ice are to come first, then sleet and snow...up to 12 inches. I'll keep you all posted on Nuts departure.

My fourth pkg went out to my pal this morning. I haven't seen that the third has arrived yet but maybe tomorrow.

Dee

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, Nuts does not look the least bit homesick. he is quite a vagabond. I'm a bit surprised that he does not have his paws wrapped tightly around those cookies. He really likes Do-si-does and Samoas.
    Diene, I agree the birds will need to be quick to beat the furry guys to the seed cakes. I have one hanging from a suction cup and a hook that they have not found yet but the birds are not going there either. IT must need to be moved.
    This has been fun. I always enjoy all the graphics that come along with this swap.
    Beth

• susandonb
    17 years ago

I have never been so confused! Ok, how is Nuts with Dee and sitting here with me?

Sorry I do not have pic capability at the moment, but my squirrel came to visit with a bag of trail mix. I also got a pretty hanging yard ornament with silver twists and jewels in it. I also got a photo album, some chocolate, a lovely blue shoe pin and some great seeds.

Sorry I am not quite with it, I want to be sure I am correct. My squirrel goes back to it's owner, right? Or does he go to my swap partner?

Thanks,
    Susan

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Okay, Diene and Beth, you have got me curious now. There is so much in our heavily wooded area for the "critters" to eat that I don't usually feed the birds or the squirrels. I am going to hang the seed cake where I can see it and see who does the majority of the eating...

Sandlapper

• faintheart
    17 years ago

"Nuts" is going to have to spend the weekend because I can't safely get the 15 miles to the open PO this morning. Susan, are you sure that its not "Chips" who is with you? "Nuts" told me he has a partner traveling the eastern part of the country.

I really don't think "Nuts" is too upset at not leaving. LOOK who he is spending time with!!! {{gwi:1246372}} "Scooter" was gifted to me by Michelle and I think something is going on here. Beth...you know the time of year...if I have babies running around my garden beds in a month or so...Papa "Nuts" is getting custody! *giggles*

Dee

• sweetkitten51
    17 years ago

Hi Everybody.
    The mailman left a package this morning.
    It had 14 packages of seeds.
    A package of cinnamon incense.
    A box of Berry Delights.
    A beanie shunk,named Stinky.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Susan. It is Chips who is visiting at your house. He is new to all this traveling and I was not sure how he would do. Seems he has had a good trip and didn't get lost even once.
    It is time now for Chips to come home to his family Susan, so you can send him to me. Don't forget his snack. Secret Squirrel is still really hopeing to get his favorite snack and so far no one had guessed it.
    Dee, Nuts does look quite happy there at your house. He has had some real adventures and has seen LOTS of snow on his trip.
    Scooter looks like a nice big fat Mama. I warned the guys about "Loose women" before they left home but boys will be boys. Especially when they think no one is watching.
    If there are babies we will send them to my old landlord. he is still mumbling about me moving away and leaving last year's babies for him to feed.
    Dee when the weather clears you will need to break up the romance and send Nuts on his way. Give my sympathy to Scooter but tell her that is why she should never fall for a traveling man. Seems like loose women and traveling men have ways of finding each other ;o)

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

My third package arrived today.
    In it was 3 packages of heirloom seeds! Balsam-Impatiens, Striped stuffer tomato, Yellow pear tomato, I can't wait to winter sow these. I'll have some time on Monday, and can't wait to get these going. I really enjoy growing different types of tomatoes. A package of Marjolein Bastin stickers! Also, a package of Werther's chocolates..yum! A package of plantable pots (almost like a coconut fiber), and the cutest card- "Will work for seeds" with an adorable squirrel holding the sign.

Thanks so much Secret Pal for a really great box!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Also, some plant markers! I'm always forgetting to add something! In the last box I forgot to mention a really cute little squirrel (that has a stake and goes in a houseplant).

I need to write everything down and NOT go by memory!

Deb

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Hi ladies! This has been such a fun swap!

Beth... glad you liked the mug. As soon as I saw it I knew it was meant for you. :)

Sandlapper Rose... I'm late posting your goodies. Believe it or not, I haven't had time to open them. *sigh* I'm no longer sick yet am working the weekend and will wait until Monday to post all the nice packages you've sent. :)

This swap should take place every month. LOL {{gwi:1246374}}

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I recieved box 3 and 4 from Deb today, a cute squirrrel pic in a frame a banna nut candle, a ear of popping corn, a super seed stash, a leather wallet, I love but no way it was under 5.00. thankyou
    deb you are a super squirrel!!!
    sweet kitten the skunk is sally, she has a crush on nuts and was hoping he was still there. maybe they can meet next year I have 3 squirrels in my yard but about 50 finches come daily to eat my suet, I put up houses hoping to convince a couple of them to move in. Beth I loved this swap. thankyou hugs carol

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hi all
    I'm glade nuts found his way, and that scooter has a friend to cuddle with during (hopfully) the last winter storm of the winter. do you think he will share the cookies with her?
    this has been alot of fun I hope we will be doing this again next year.
    michelle

• diene
    17 years ago

V I O L A T I O N

I have a serious violation to report. I received a box today that not only exceeded the $$ limit for a box but exceeded the $$$ limit for this whole swap. I want to report Susandonb!! She sent a whole bunch of seeds, some vegetable, some flower. Then she sent some chocolate which is mostly gone now. And then she enclosed a beautiful book that looks like it has never been open so I know she bought it for me!! It is absolutely gorgeous and is full of information about forcing bulbs and indoor plants. Since I live in the part of the world where we do not get to grow much outside, this book will be precious. It cost $ 24.95!!!! It would have cost more if we lived in Canada but neither one of us do.
    So.... what is the punishment for this violation? I, for one, am pleading for mercy for her since I was the recipient of her largesse.
    Thanks Susan, it is very appreciated. Oh yeah, she also sent a complete manicure kit which all of us gardeners know is invaluable when it is planting season. Boy am I lucky. diene

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will send BOTH squirrels to bite Susan ASAP. One for each ankle or perhaps one for each side of her but_.
    Maybe I better let the squirrels decide where to bite but definately somewhere
    Mama Beth

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Michelle,

Thank you SO much for the birthday card AND the neatest birdhouse with a bead hanger and decorated with squirrels!!! I absolutly LOVE it! I think you must have made it? It is just toooooo cool!!! You made a kind of depressing day really sweet....THANK YOU!!!

hugsss,
    Dee

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    yes Dee I made the birdhouse just for you too remember this swap. I had a great time picking out gifts for you.
    I'm glad you liked them.
    I hope you have a great gardening season.
    and to beth thanks for hosting such a great swap
    michelle

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

My last package arrived! Thanks so much Secret Squirrel for such a neat package! My Squirrel sent a AM/FM Weather Band Radio, how neat! I LOVE IT! Also, a really beautiful plaque- "Nurture Yourself With Kindness" and Hills Bros. French Vanilla cappuccino, yum! Perfect for these blustery days! It's been snowing for a few days straight!

This really has been so much fun, thanks Beth for coordinating such a great swap!

Thanks for all the really neat packages Secret Squirrel!

Hugs,
    Deb

• klickitat
    17 years ago

At last I've got time to post. Yesterday I worked so hard in the yard cleaning out my pine islands and veggie garden area that my muscles ache all over. Can't believe it's almost time to start sowing seeds in the ground! We're having highs in the mid-to-high 60s. Almost time to see my plants start blooming.

A big thank you to my Secret Squirrel for the last two packages! Box #3 contained ladybug items: a windsock, stickypad, and notepad. Box #4 arrived yesterday with snacks a squirrel could enjoy: Cracker Jacks and peanuts along with the decorative gourd awarded last year with a squirrel and acorns painted on it. Very nicely done. I'll have to find a nice little plant to place in the hole up top. Great packages!

I'll look forward to this exchange next year. Thanks so much for hosting, Beth! {{gwi:1246376}}

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Klick;
    How mean of you to talk about getting ready to plant when those of us up north still have snowbanks and more snow to come!! Truthfully, I envy you this early spring but not your summer heat and humidity. I melt in that kind of weather. Enjoy your spring, I am hopeful that mine will be less than six weeks away. Of course the rule up here is do not plant until after Memorial Day due to possible frost. Oh well. diene

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Diene, you're not the only one who melts in the southern heat. I only moved down here from the north for the boy who is now my husband. Almost 5 years here and I still can't get used to the heat. It's awful. However, now that I've found my niche as a gardener it's been more rewarding with all the labor and results. :)

In any case, I'll start seed sowing next week when I'm off from work. Now imagine me sticking out my tongue at all of you in the north. Tee hee.

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Klick;
    I wish I could post graphics like you or even pictures. I am not computer illiterate but for some reason that skill has escaped me.
    Right back at you with the "Na Na". July will be my revenge!! diene

• klickitat
    17 years ago

It's easy, diene.

Find a graphic you like online
    Right click and select properties
    Highlight the web address location
    Right click again and select copy
    Go to imageshack.us
    Click on the url option and paste the address you copied
    Click in the box for Hotlink for Websites (begins with That's what you'll paste into the forum here. )

Try it and get back to me if you have any problems with it. Good luck!))

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Uh Oh I got ratted out! Ok, in my defense, I got the book for free with points I earned in my cookbook club. I save the books I get for free for gifts and I knew Diene would like it. So really the box didn't go over the limit....much. I still have not sent Chips back home or mailed out my last weeks box, I started a new job and have been crazy here with my hubby having surgery on his hand and also having car trouble.

No excuses though I promise everything will be going out by Friday.

This was fun,
    Susan

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diene and Klick you two are singing the parts in a duet that was a favorite with Me and DH. He wanted to move south and I wanted to go north. MD is in the middle but it is NOT a satisfactory compromise. Still Too Hot and winters here are just plain ugly. The only good thing is winter is short. LOL
    Klick is that a "Local" squirrel? He is so much bigger and darker than the ones I am used to.
    Susan I guess you are off the hook and won't need to get squirrel bit. Sorta glad to hear that because it is time for those fellows to come home and start spring cleaning their nests.
    Good luck with the new job and with the surgery for DH
    Beth

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Susan;
    Do not worry about box 4, take care of things at home. I too have enjoyed the banter of this swap at least as much as the boxes of stuff. This is the part of the GW community I love. Thanks Beth for bringing that back. March is right around the corner and we have a large storm predicted for Friday. Oh well, yesterday almost hit 40 and I was able to take a long walk on the beach. The tide was out and there were some clammers out there. How they can do that for a living is beyond me. I caught a chill just watching them. I am hoping to get to the beach again today as the tides are favorable but the sun is not awake yet. That could be an issue.
    We have a saying here in Maine, "if you do not like the weather, wait a minute." Our weather can change that quickly. Have a wonderful day to all. diene

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Okay... just had to report on the suet seed cake. I got curious whether the birds or the squirrels would eat it and have had it handing outside for a week now and neither a bird nor a squirrel has had a taste. I guess you can see from that why I don't bother to feed the birds or the squirrels. Oh, well, if it's still there when hot weather comes, I will give up on anyone eating it... Probably my dog would eat it is she could reach it. LOL

Sandlapper

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Beth... heck if I know where that squirrel came from. I do recall seeing them around NYC in Central Park when I lived there. Sooooo... I did a search for 'black squirrel' and found that one. Looks like it has b00bs. Hee hee.

Diene... if only I could be up there in Maine with you right now. We hit a high of 72 today. :( Thank goodness for the cold front coming in tonight with the rain and all. Have you tried the image pasting job I recommended? Let's see some pictures in the March swap!

Sandlapper... my dog would do ANYTHING to get to my suet cakes. She just stares at them and sniffs at the air around them.

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    I receved a box from by buddy but I don't know if it my box #4 or if this is chips, there is a chirping squirrel and a bag of dark choc. balls.
    do I send this fellow on or is he mine. ( mine son timmy wants him)
    michelle

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Michelle, You were on the travel route for Nuts not Chips. Sounds like you have a new furry guy visiting you.
    I have lost track but thought that Nuts had already been to your house? Last I knew Nuts was hanging out at Dee's with Scooter. So,I guess the chipper has come to stay. Have fun.
    Beth B

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hi
    thats great I still need to remind timmy that the squirrel is mine, but I'll let him play with it too.
    thanks for all to gifts secret squirrel buddy
    this was so much fun, thanks everyone.
    michelle

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Nuts is such a fickle "love and leave em" kinda guy. He left yesterday headed east to IL, but not before my daughter got some pics for Scooter to remember him by. Poor girl...she is devastated.
    :(

Nuts putting his "pick up lines" and moves on her.{{gwi:1246378}}

At the movies...{{gwi:1246380}}

The girl is tryin' to woo him with her culinary skills.{{gwi:1246383}}

Think the Landlord will be getting some new residents, Beth.{{gwi:1246385}}

Nuts is gone...Scooter is trying to move on.{{gwi:1246386}}

Love is blind....she misses her man. *sigh*{{gwi:1246387}}

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    Dee you are too funny.
    I just love your picks.
    my tilips and daff are starting to come up,
    and I have a large woodpecker that visits my suiet feeder 4 to 5 times a day, so don't give up sandlaper they sometimes take some time to find them.
    we had lots of damage around town from the storms this morning, light poles down, store signs smashed, some windows blown out and lots of trees down, and thats just what I saw to the store and back.
    looks like we got lucky
    michelle

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Glad you are okay, Michelle! We've gotten about 6 in of new snow since this morning...all roads are closed. It's a blizzard warning. Another 8 - 10 is forecasted for the next two days. I have an unexpected day off to play! :) The biggest concern here is loss of power. Guess I should be cooking up a storm while I can!

We've had so much fun with Scooter since you sent her, Michelle. Glad you got some giggles from the pics. hehehe

Poor Sally Skunk must be so heartbroken to see that her man is such a cad!!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dee that photo essay is just adorable. I'd say your daughter is very talented and creative. Hope scooter enjoys the pics and fond memories. I'll send Dick ( landlord) a message to get ready for some new tenants in the penthouse.
    You folks in the upper midwest have really gotten pounded this winter. I understand that Feb is usually the worst weather so perhaps this is just one last fling for Feb.
    I have a new squirrel at my house today. A very handsome dark haired gentleman arrived this morning from Maine. He brought some yummy treats too including a "peanut butter" Pay Day that I had never seen before. OOOOHHH so good. He very kindly shared with me.
    This has been such fun. You are a great bunch of swappers and I sure do enjoy the pictures and graphics.
    Hugs to all.
    BB

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I really LOVE this swap too! It's one of my favorites!

Deb

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Scooter sure looks like a guy is nuts gay? if so Sally is probably very unhappy, take good care of her kitten, Beth thankyou for a wonderful swap. I love my wolf postcard from you. thankyou hugs carol

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Nuts arrived yesterday! He brought along sunflower seeds and peanut brittle! I'll post more later!

Deb

• faintheart
    17 years ago

So glad Nuts arrived okay, Deb! I sent him out before the raging storm hit here so he would be ahead of it on his way to you. We had 3/4 of an inch of ice first followed by 16 inches of new snow. Today is the first that we've been able to get out since Thursday.

Nuts brought you a snack I made called "Corn Chip Crunch" besides the butter toffee sunflower kernels (which I thought Nuts might like too). The crunch is something we love here when we get that sweet and salty kind of craving. It's very simple to make. I meant to include the recipe but will post it here in case anyone else might like to try it.

Corn Chip Crunch

6 cups corn chips
    1 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup
    1/4 cup butter
    DIRECTIONS
    In a large heatproof bowl, combine corn chips and peanuts. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour over corn chip mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 250 degrees F for 30-40 minutes; stirring every 15 minutes. Spread onto waxed paper; cool. Break apart and store in airtight containers. You can add M & M's after cooling for the chocolate addicts like me! ;)

Dee

• klickitat
    17 years ago

faintheart... GREAT photoessay! Tears came to my eyes as I read the story of the love of Nuts. :)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mmmmmmm Dee that recipe sounds SO Good! I'm surprised that Nuts didn't just move in and stay with you and Scooter.
    His love stories are always tear jerkers.
    I thought he would stay settled once we were living here in the pecan grove. What more could a squirrel want? But, he was restless by Christmas and as soon as he heard that folks were asking if he was coming to visit he just could not resist.
    Squirrels! Guess I'll just never understand them.

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Chips is on his way home, sorry for the delay. He was sent Priority so he should be there quick.

Thanks,
    Susan

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Nuts is on the way home too! USPS# 0306 1070 0001 7524 9430.

Dee,
    Thanks for all the yummy treats you sent! The corn chip crunch was delicious! Also, thanks for being my Secret Squirrel! Your boxes were the best! I really enjoyed everything!
    In my last package I was sent Buttery toffee sunflower kernels (not plain sunflower seeds). I wanted to clarify that just in case that was the secret squirrel's favorite treat!

I love this swap!

Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan, Chips arrived safely this morning. Thanks for sending him home and thanks for the sunflower seeds too.
    They are something I really enjoy nibbling on and I'll share them with Chips and SS.
    Jeanne, You are right he is NOT a squirrel but he is an agent that works for the real Secret Squirrel. That makes him think he is just like the big boys. He let his job title go to his head LOL
    Beth

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Chips did a good job, Beth, and glad to hear he is safely back home. I'll bet he got to experience some interesting weather on his rounds!
    Time to report on the suet seed cake that I received... the birds found it two days ago and are enjoying it - not a squirrel in sight! LOL
    I know several of you winter sow. Well, I am doing that for the first time this year. My most recent planting was 3 days ago --- and one of the containers that I planted has run off! I suspect a dog took off with it. Luckily I had not planted the entire package of seeds. I hope the dog doesn't come back for more...

Sandlapper

• klickitat
    17 years ago

So have we completely wrapped up this swap? It was fun and I can't wait to join in again next year!!!

Did anybody win the contest as to the favorite squirrely treat???

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The game is officially over. Nuts got home yesterday while my Grandson was here tuneing up my riding mower for the big spring cleanup.
    Deb A sent great treats. Nuts brought some yummy looking chocolates which went right into JR's truck. Nuts had some banana chips and peanuts that I have been nibbling on.
    Nuts was glad to be home and everyone seems very glad to see himback.
    No winners this year on the favorite snack contest but I will be sending a small consolation prize to Klick for what I think was the best buddy gift ever sent in the Secret Squirrel swap.
    The pictures and graphics were fantastic and you were a great bunch of players. Thanks so much for participating in Secret squirrels swap.
    hugs to all, Beth