Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zabecc

new: herb-ivore swap (reconfigured)

zabecc
15 years ago

(I have changed the dates from February to March, in hopes that more people might be able to join... don't miss out on this fun swap!!!)

HERBivore Swap

Hi all!

Theres been a lot of talk lately about herbs. I donÂt know if itÂs been done recently, but I thought it would be fun to host an herb swap! This swap will be for herbs only and must receive 10 sign-ups before it will be a go. I hope people are interested!

Guidelines:

Herbs only, please.

All seeds must be clearly marked and packed correctly.

All seed packages should contain at least 10 seeds, or 1/8 teaspoon for tiny seeds.

You will receive at least the amount of packages you send in, most likely more.

Please send a wish list of seeds that you would like to receive back. I will do my best to fill your needs but canÂt guarantee anything.

Please also send a list of the seeds you are sending in, so that you donÂt receive them back.

No side trades please.

Please use bubble mailer, seeds crush. You must also send a return address label as well as proper postage for the seeds being returned to you.

Please send your full name on the mailer, mailing address, garden web name and email address on a card or added to your lists.

Please do not send in more than 5 packets of one certain seed. Please do not send in more than 50 seed packets total.

All mailers are due to my house by March 27th. All mailers will leave my house headed back to you by April 4th at the latest.

Please post here if interested and I will email you my mailing address.

Elizabeth/Zabecc

Comments (136)

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Welcome Sue, we'd love to have you join our swap!

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received more packages: drippy, nicolita & cjcjmass!

Participation list:

1) zabecc
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    5) greenthumbgrow (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    14) gardenmom2
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira
    20) etzool
    21) misskimmie
    22) highalttransplant (RECEIVED)
    23) grovespirit
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish

• drippy
    15 years ago

Glad you got my package, Elizabeth - this is bound to be a fun swap - what's not to love about herbs?

• drippy
    15 years ago

I throw the postage into the envelope before I actually go up to the counter to mail it. I'm always convinced that I throw in more than enough, but in this case, I might not have. I am going to send a few extra stamps along for you - hopefully, you won't need them for my mailer, as I don't need as many seeds back, but maybe they'll help in distributing some of the bonus seeds.

Thanks again for hosting this!

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I don't think i recieved your address either, please send it again. Chris

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have re-sent the email with my address to everyone that let me know that it didn't go through. Please let me know if it worked this time!

Is there anyone else I need to resend it to?

• phantom_white
    15 years ago

Can I join?

Abby

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The more the merrier! Welcome Abby :D

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Oh good got a little time. Chris

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I am packing my seeds up for this swap. :)

Sending, among other things, cinnamon basil and 'agastache Blue Licorice'.

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone else had a hard time adjusting to daylight savings? Yawn...
    Having a baby has put me months behind my winter sowing... but this past weekend I finally got my first 25 vegetable varieties sown, YAY!!! Now I just need to find some more milk jugs before this herb swap ends :D

NOTE: GW has still been having email issues, it seems like every week one of you realizes that my email did not reach you. Please email me ASAP if you didn't receive my mailing address, THANK YOU!!!

Participation list:

1) zabecc
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    14) gardenmom2
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira
    20) etzool
    21) misskimmie
    23) grovespirit
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish
    26) phantom_white

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

MIne went out in todays mail. Thank you so much for hosting this swap.

Nichol

• etzool
    15 years ago

Argh... I am not going to have time to get my seeds out; too much crap going on. Sorry about that.

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, hope you're working on getting those packages put together because I can't wait to get them back in the mail to everyone!!

Participation list:

1) zabecc
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    14) gardenmom2
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira
    20) phantom_white
    21) misskimmie
    23) grovespirit
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How the packaging going everyone?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

well, I am STILL behind since the move, I don't seem to have time for anything.
    I thought I would stop in here to see when the cut off date for you to receive is. I will try my best to get the seeds out to you soon.
    I will do my best to get on it this weekend and you should have them by the 27th!
    Thanks again,
    :) Fran

• patti1957
    15 years ago

My seeds went out in todays mail.

Patti

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

You should be receiving mine any time now. I mailed out last week, Wed or Thursday.

Nichol

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nichol-
    I got your package today, awesome variety, thank you. I didn't find a wish list attached...
    -zabecc

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I will take anything. Looking for lavender, basils, lemongrass (herb???), bee balm, anything. Sorry I forgot the list. I will try to make a list of what I have and send it to you (email) but if I dont, you do not need to wait for it. My SIL is flying in today and when I get home from work will b here and will be for the next 3 or 4 days. I wil attempt to make a list today at work, but ea. time I plan on accomplishingsomething at work, it does not happen. LOL

Nichol

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Packing up herb seeds today, for this swap. The goal is to get them mailed by the 20th so that they can arrive by the stated deadline of the 27th. :)

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

The herb seeds for this swap are all packed up and ready to send out.

Dear hubby will probably be the one to mail them. I will be having surgery Friday and may very well be unable to take them to a PO myself.

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patti, I received your package yesterday, awesome selection, and thank you for the hostess gift of seeds from my wants list, very thoughtful of you!! I can't wait to try out the shelling beans!!!

One more week for everyone to get their packages to me! I am getting so anxious to pack these up for everyone :D

Participation list:

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    14) gardenmom2
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira
    20) phantom_white
    21) misskimmie
    23) grovespirit
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish

• suecirish
    15 years ago

I just got back from the PO and my package is on the way to you. It won't take long to get there since I'm not too far away. Looking forward to the returns.
    ~ Sue

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

Thank for hosting this swap:).
    I hope all is well with you.

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Participation list:

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    14) gardenmom2 (RECEIVED)
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira
    20) phantom_white
    21) misskimmie
    23) grovespirit (RECEIVED)
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Great, very happy to see my seeds arrived. They traveled quick! Hubby mailed them for me on Friday and they are already at their destination. :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Elizabeth, I am a little behind still I am gonna do my best to go through the seeds tomorrow and get them mailed out. I am pushing the deadline I know it.
    Moving has thrown me for a loop. I have NOT had time to go through any of my seeds! There is something that has to be done EVERYDAY! And seeds are not on the list at the moment!

I am trying really I am!

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two more packages in the mail today, woohoo, way to go everyone!

Susan, thank you so much for the cute stationary, very sweet of you :)

Participation list:

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    2) ncgardengirl
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira
    20) phantom_white (RECEIVED)
    21) misskimmie
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish (RECEIVED)

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Dang I feel so bad, I thought I had sent off my package 2 weeks ago , and I almost dropped when i found it addressed and all between 2 of the ;ids pf my seed boxes!!!
    Needless to say I put it in the mial box right away. Thanks for hosting this swap. Chris

• leira
    15 years ago

OK, I've sent my packet. The post office says that it will arrive in a day or two...if I'm lucky, just in a nick of time!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Mine should also get there by Friday!
    I finally got some together. It took a while to find my seeds and I didn't get to send the ones I was looking for BUT I did get some sent so all is well

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Chris, don't feel bad. I was doing a trade with two people and my dh found their enve's in the truck when he brought me the mail today. They should have been mailed last week. I have been out f town. They are mailed now,but I was like : AAAHHHHHHH". LOL. I think it happens to all of us.

Nichol

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did not receive any packages in the mail yesterday, but I did receive Leira's today!

For those of you who have sent them this week, don't worry, I won't start without you :D

There are still 8 of you that I have not heard from in while (since you signed up) and haven't received your packages... any word??

Participation list:

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    2) ncgardengirl (in the mail)
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy (in the mail)
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira (RECEIVED)
    21) misskimmie
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish (RECEIVED)

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just sent a reminder email to the 8 of you whom I have not heard from. I have given you a tiny window of opportunity (extra time to send seeds from the original date). Anyone who has not yet sent your seeds PLEASE get them in the mail by TOMORROW at the latest, and let me know that they are on their way... if you don't let me know I will unfortunately not be able to wait for your seeds... since I want to stick to my time of getting them back in the mail to everyone by April 4th... it is only fair to everyone who sent their seeds in on time. Thank you!

I'm am so excited to get these back in the mail to all of you and see if you like to variety!!

REMINDER: I have only received one "NO List". If anyone else has a list of seeds that they absolutely DO NOT WANT please let me know so that I can keep them out of your package. I will of course not be able to give everyone everything on their wants list, but I will do the absolute best that I can to make sure that everyone gets something good.

ALSO: I have received lots of general herbs seeds, like TONS of Sweet Basil. I don't want to send anyone back Sweet Basil that sent it in... so is there anyone out there that would want several packets of Sweet Basil... or other general herbs? Please let me know :)

• jaynine
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'd be happy to have a couple pkts (or more) of sweet basil, especially if they're from 2008 or 2009. I also wouldn't mind extras of flat leaf parsley, cilantro, oregano, sage and rosemary (if it's not older seed). I absolutely don't want/need any curly parsley, regular thyme or mint seeds. Thanks so much!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I will happily take a packet or two of sweet basil. I really do not need much as far as herbs go. But Basil is always welcome.

Frances

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I also am happy to get several pkts. of sweet basil, and multiple packets of all other basils except cinnamon basil.

I grew cinnamon basil out last yr. and already have too much of it.

I also wouldn't mind doubles of any chamomile, all sorts of thyme, anise, lemon balm, licorice, spearmint, water mint (mentha aquatica), borage, flat-leaf or Italian parsley, chervil, lovage, hyssop, marjoram, spikenard, any savory, any oregano, sage including salvia apiana, any lavender, horehound, soapwort, costmary, valerian, and watercress.

Doubles of rosemary are fine too as long as the rosemary seeds are under a year old. This herb is tough to germinate even when fresh. Older rosemary seed tends to not grow at all for me.

• leira
    15 years ago

I'm glad, in retrospect, that I put more basil seeds into one packet, rather than sending multiple packets!

At least I had some purple and lettuce leaf, in the hopes of being mildly different.

I'm sorry for the more pedestrian nature of my herbs, though...the more unusual stuff had just become a bit too old, and I've been trying to cut back on my seed acquisitions of late.

As for my want list, it was really more of a "I'd be happy with any of these" and not at all a "I expect to get all of these"!

Thanks again for hosting this, zabecc!

• drippy
    15 years ago

Elizabeth, you can't be expected to come close to meeting everyone's wants - you don't have any control over what's sent in. Herbs, IMO, are all fabulous - there's no such thing as a "pedestrian" herb. I have gobs of sweet basil, but if I got some back, so what? I love it; I'll still plant it! Plus, it could be that someone else's sweet basil seeds might produce better and stronger plants than the ones I've had previously - you never know!

When I put in a "wants" list, I know darn right well that I have most of the more common acquisitions - but the reason I have them is because they're so great! I can't imagine a season without parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. And basil, too - I just opened my last container of pesto I had put up from 2008 - good thing spring is FINALLY coming to New England!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

ha ha ha drippy.... I am down to the last bottle of pesto and the last salsa.... I really do not need a single thing, my herb garden is flush already, but basil, summer savoury (why can't you get this at the market???) and parsley are always in high demand!!! (my flatleafed parsley, sage and oregano performed all winter) I know you are ready to move south!!!!

Elizabeth, take deep breaths, herbs are a wonderful thing, but there is really no such thing as too much sweet basil!!!

Frances

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just trying to make everyone as happy as possible :D I have been in several swaps with unhappy participants that got so bad that the hostess decided never to host again... just trying to do my best... I'm not stressing over it though, so don't worry :) But thank you to everyone who posts on here so regularly and keeps me updated, it is much appreciated :)

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I will take any herb you send my way. Even if I sent it in. Like the others said, it may be better seeds or something. I also don't think you can ever have enough herb seeds or anything else, really. Just use them or trade them in a diff. swap. I will be happy with whatever you send my way.

Nichol

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received two more packets today from grolikecrazy and ncgardengirl! Thank you for the extra plastic baggies and notepad Fran, so cute!

Participation list:

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    2) ncgardengirl (RECEIVED)
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa
    9) grolikecrazy (RECEIVED)
    10) clay_lady
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira (RECEIVED)
    21) misskimmie
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish (RECEIVED)

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

uptreasa and clay_lady, thank you for letting me know that they are in the mail :D

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa (in the mail)
    10) clay_lady (in the mail)
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira (RECEIVED)
    21) misskimmie
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish (RECEIVED)

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry to not paying attention. Mine were mailed out this morning. Hopefully, they get there faster than the seeds I've been waiting for in another swap. I sent 40 packets. Again, I'm very sorry for being late. Thank you much. Treasa

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey, I hope you saw my don't need these list on my note I sent yah!
    I am glad you liked the hostess gifts, can always use those I hope you can too.

Hey, I am really not too picky. I don't need any sweet basil, or cinnamon basil but if you HAVE to put it in my bag I will not complain....
    I know there are always some things that come in that is just repeats and everyone sends them, so whatever you have to do if I can get some goods ones is still great!

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Clay-lady, I received your package. Thank you.

Uptreasa is the last package that I am waiting for. It should be here Tue or Wed, and then I will start packaging up everyone's seeds! There are 6 of you that I never heard from and have not received packages from, so I'm going to have to sort without you, my apologies.

1) zabecc (RECEIVED)
    3) fcoffill (RECEIVED)
    4) drippy (RECEIVED)
    6) jaynine (RECEIVED)
    7) patti1957 (RECEIVED)
    8) uptreasa (in the mail)
    10) clay_lady (RECEIVED)
    11) nicolita (RECEIVED)
    12) sleepyconsultant
    13) cjcjmass (RECEIVED)
    15) thehills2 (RECEIVED)
    16) novelist
    17) ladylavender
    18) gardenfairy04
    19) leira (RECEIVED)
    21) misskimmie
    24) sjkentucky
    25) suecirish (RECEIVED)

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I will be happy with anything you send me. I love herbs! I have been using my chives for the past month as they have grown up and I am sooo excited. That and my rosemary are doing great so early in the year I love it!

anyway. Anything will be appreciated and used.

Tammy

• zabecc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have received uptreasa's package... the sorting will now commence. I have started a new page for all future HERB-ivore posts, so please post at the following link from now on, thank you!!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg0310463816741.html