Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: 2nd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

highalttransplant
13 years ago

Okay, I know that the I.E. Totally Tomato Swap is still going on, but I just can't wait to get started with this swap again! Besides, I've been told by some folks that they'd like to get an early start, so that they can get their seeds back in time for this season's crop.

I am just started to push my limits on the heat level I can tolerate, and haven't gotten brave enough to try hababeros yet, so don't feel like you have to be a "hothead" to participate : )

So here are the rules (every swap's gotta have them):

* Sign ups will run through Monday, February 28th. Seeds must reach me by March 4th. I will do my very best to have them back out by March 11th.

* Seed packets should be labeled as commercial, or harvested/hand collected.

* Seed packets should have 12 - 15 seeds per packet.

* Limit of packets per variety = 3. If you send in more than 3 of a variety, the rest will be considered extras.

This will increase the variety in the swap. More variety sent in = more variety received back : ) If you have something very rare, or in high demand, contact me privately, and I may wave the 3 pack limit for that item.

*** Last year, I received tons of unnamed Bell peppers, Jalapenos, Cayennes, and Habaneros, and very few requests for any of those. Sooooo, here is a change from last year's rules. Only named varieties please, such as Biker Billy Jalapeno, TAM Jalapeno, Golden Cayenne, King of the North Bell, etc. Please write the variety name on the seed packet.

* Limit of total packs = 50

* Please put your GW name on the seed packet. This will ensure that you don't receive your own seeds back.

* Include a list of what you are sending in. This will also ensure that you don't receive the same thing you sent in.

* Please include a wishlist, or at least me know if you prefer Sweet/Mild, Hot, or a Mix, so that I can send you things you will enjoy, even if I don't have items specifically from your wishlist. You may also indicate if you prefer OP/Heirloom types, or Hybrids. I can't guarantee what you will get back, since it is dependent on what others send in, but I will do my best.

* Commercial seeds should have an expiration date of '10 or '11. If hand collected, they should have been harvested in '09 or '10.

* NO seed mixes please. Not a single person in last year's swap had a seed mix on their wishlist ... just sayin'.

* And last but not least, please include a return address label, and enough postage for the return trip.

I apologize if that sounds like a lot of rules, but this will keep the swap fair and fun for everyone.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Your hostess,

Bonnie

Comments (145)

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mailed mine today!

Thanks for hosting!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received Wendy's package today, and I believe the rest of the packages are in route, except maybe teauteau, and candogal, who I have not heard back from yet.

> farmergirl2009/Ellie
    > gjcore/Greg
    austinnhanasmom/Deb - MAILED
    > sorellina/Julianna (from Canada)
    > dirtdaddy/David
    > patti1957/Patti
    > sandysgardens/Sandy
    > cheveboy/Ken
    teauteau ???
    > tinley244
    > sassybutterfly_2008/Wendy
    peaches0104 - DROPPED OUT
    > romy6
    > randar08/Randy
    candogal/Tricia ???
    > gardenunusual/Tanya
    carsons_mimi/Lynn - MAILED
    > lisam627 ohio z6/Lisa
    > midwestchilehead/John (Thanks for the hostess gifts!)
    > naturegirl236/Jill
    organicpepper_grower - MAILED
    booberry85/Becky - MAILED
    > ianb co/Ian
    > highalttransplant/Bonnie

I think I have a couple more peppers sprouting today, and it feels like spring outside. Yippee!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie,

I just checked the DC# 0303 1910 0001 4151 5882. Apparently my package is floating around Denver. At least it made it to the right state. It should get to you soon.

• romy6
    13 years ago

I have 3 fatali babies( they are 2 inches tall and have not grown much in two weeks,1 numex 4-6, 1 fatali, and lots more waiting to bust out. I have been trying to germinate some ghost peppers for over a month . I have heard sometimes they can take up to 12 weeks to germinate. Patience young gardner.I managed to over winter 5 red habs,1 naga jolakia, 4 jalapenos, 1 chinese 5 color, 1 red savina,and 1 orange hab. Just moved them to 5 gallon pots.

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

I bleached my pepper seeds prior to the paper towel germination method. Then, I checked them multiple times a day. A few sprouted here and there. THEN, I forgot about them (on accident) for nearly a week! Every variety has germinated, with 8 days. CRAZY to me!

WEAR gloves:
    wrap the seeds into a tea bag type fashion - I used cheesecloth but I bet there's a better material
    1/4c bleach to 1c sterilized/cooled water
    swirl for 10 minutes

rinse for a minute in sterile water
    repeat the rinse six times

Although a huge time commitment for a decent number of varieties, so worth it to me. Awesome germination this year, using this method. And I successfully germinated varieties that last year failed on me.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

What exactly is the purpose of swirling them in the bleach bath? I've never heard of that before. If it helps germination tho I will definitely try it!

Did you get my email with the list?

Gnite!

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

I heard from a GREAT source that it kills fungus. I have found, in the past, that some pepper seeds succumb to fungus before they can sprout, in paper towels.

Perhaps the bleach also removes a membrane. Although I didn't see anything in the bleach glass, stubborn varieties sprout sooner with this method. Seen it with my own eyes this year.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Well, whatd'ya know! I'll give it a try then. Thanks for the tip.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received two more packages today. I have not heard back from teauteau or candogal, so as soon as Lynn's, and Ben's packages arrive, I will finish sorting, and start sending them back out.

My modem is starting to go out, which is causing me to lose my internet connection every couple of minutes, so if I'm not on here much the next few days, it doesn't mean I ran off with all of your wonderful seeds, LOL. Know that I'll be working hard on everyone's packages.

List of participants > = received:

> farmergirl2009/Ellie
    > gjcore/Greg
    > austinnhanasmom/Deb
    > sorellina/Julianna (from Canada)
    > dirtdaddy/David
    > patti1957/Patti
    > sandysgardens/Sandy
    > cheveboy/Ken
    teauteau ???
    > tinley244
    > sassybutterfly_2008/Wendy
    peaches0104 - DROPPED OUT
    > romy6
    > randar08/Randy
    candogal/Tricia ???
    > gardenunusual/Tanya
    carsons_mimi/Lynn MAILED
    > lisam627 ohio z6/Lisa
    > midwestchilehead/John
    > naturegirl236/Jill
    organicpepper_grower/Ben - MAILED?
    > booberry85/Becky
    > ianb co/Ian
    > highalttransplant/Bonnie

FYI: All four Alma Paprikas have sprouted, and Aji Yellow, Ancho Gigantia, Georgia Flame, Giant Szegedi and Serrano Tampiqueno are all starting to break through the soil. Can't wait to see all the new babies tomorrow : )

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn's package arrived today, so just waiting on one more, than I can start sending them back out.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So here's an update on the swap:

Yesterday, I finished the sorting on paper. Today, I'm trying to actually fill the envelopes. It's much slower going than I thought, mainly because my stuff, and some of the extras that were sent in, are all in bulk, so I'm having to divide them up into individual packets as I go. Would have done it ahead of time, but until all the envelopes were here, I wasn't sure how many of each thing I needed.

Once I get all of the envelopes filled (right now only 4 are complete), I will post a list of the leftover items, things I received a lot of, that weren't on anyone's wishlist. You can then post if you are interested in any of the items, and I will add them to your envelope, unless it is an item that is already in there. If you are not interested in any of the leftover items, please post that as well, so I can get your envelope in the mail.

I did end up placing a couple of small orders, since some people didn't have much sent in that was on their wishlist, and there were a few items that I received multiple requests for, that no one sent in. If you have wishlist items that are part of that order, I will be emailing you to let you know. The orders were placed first thing yesterday morning, so I'm hoping they will be in by the end of the week.

Okay, back to work for me ...

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I have 11 envelopes completed now, and am planning on working on them a bit more this evening, but swap stuff will be on hold tomorrow. If I don't make a grocery run, I may have a mutiny on my hands, LOL! My goal is to get them completed by Friday, so check back then for the leftovers list.

Bonnie

• romy6
    13 years ago

We need more people like you( Bonnie) . You are awesome!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwwww, thanks Romy!

I AM FINISHED!!! Not a moment too soon either. My kids are out of clean clothes, the house is filthy, and my husband doesn't even want to hear the word seed anymore!

Before I post the Leftovers List, I wanted to be sure that everyone knows that just because an item's on this list, doesn't make it undesirable, it may just mean that everyone already has it, so lots of that item was sent in.

There are some items on this list though, that were leftover last year as well. These items include:

Cayennes
    Jalapenos
    Habaneros
    Cherry peppers

These items will be considered extras next time around.

Once you've looked over the list, please post here to let me know if you are interested in anything, and I will add it to your package, if it's not already in there. If your are not interested in any of the items, please let me know, so that I can put your package in the mail.

Please do not email me and ask me to send you all of the leftovers, so that you can put them on your trade list. That would not be fair to the other people in the swap.

Okay, here goes:

2011 I.E. Annual Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Leftovers List

Ancho - 2

Anaheim - 4

Bhut Jolokia - 5

Black Pearl - 6

Cascabella - 3

CAYENNES
    Cayenne - 1
    Cayenne, Long Red - 7
    Cayenne, Louisiana Red - 1
    Cayanne, Slim Red - 1

CHERRY PEPPERS
    Cherry Bomb - 1
    (Red) Hot Cherry - 6
    Sweet Cherry - 2

Chile Tepin - 1

Chile Verde Hybrid - 1

Cubanelle - 2

These were sent as extras and are not full packets:
    Datil - 6 seeds
    Earbob - 3 seeds
    Kashmiri - 6 seeds

Fresno - 2 (if you didn't send this one in, it's probably already in your package)

Fuego F1 (hot) - 2

Ghost - 1

Grand Bell Pepper Mix - 3

HABANEROS
    Brown - 2
    Orange - 8
    Red - 2
    White - 5
    Yellow - 1
    Red Caribbean - 1
    Venetian Sweet - 1
    White Bullet - 1

Hungarian Hot Wax - 3

Italian Pepperoncini - 1

JALAPENOS
    Early - 4
    TAM - 3
    M - 1

Jimmy Nardello - 1 (if you didn't send this one in, it's probably already in your package)

Lemon Drop - 3

Mini Bells:
    Red - 3
    Chocolate - 2

Naga Morich - 1

New Mexico 6 - 1

Orange Cal Wonder - 3

PIMENTOS:
    Pimento L - 3
    Sweet - 1
    Red Ruffled - 1

Poblano - 2

Pepperoncino - 1

Quadrato Rosso D'Asti - 2
    Quadrato Giallo D'Asti - 1

Red Savina - 3

Sweet Chocolate - 2

Serrano - 1 (yep, this is another one that is probably in your package)

Tollie's - 1 (I show this as a sweet pepper, but the sender wrote medium heat on the packet)

Volcano - 2

Yolo Wonder Bell - 2

If you're thinking that this seeds like an awefully long list, be assured that everyone is getting back at least as much as they sent in.

Okay, one more thing. I bagged up over 70 packets of seeds from the donation that Smokemaster sent in!. Just about everyone in the swap is receiving at least one item from him, unless you specified that you only wanted sweet peppers, as all of his have some level of heat. I know that he would appreciate hearing a thank you from those of you that receive packets with his name on them.

He also sent in 4 peppers that don't have an official name, just a couple letters with some numbers behind them. I didn't feel right sending those to anyone without first asking if they felt up for a game of "Pepper Russian Roulette." My searches didn't pull up anything, but I'm guessing they are all at least medium in heat. Here they are:

TC 07246
    C04548
    PI 260250
    PI 438638

I'll be checking this thread throughout the weekend, and will start mailing packages out Monday.

Bonnie

• patti1957
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I would be interested in any of the "Russian Roulette" peppers. You can pick one for me.

Thank you!
    Patti

• cheveboy
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I would be interested in the extra seeds. My list
    Chocalate
    cherry bomb
    hotcherry
    chile tepin
    black pearl
    italian pepperoncini
    datil
    ghost
    Thanks for all your work. Great Job!!!!!!

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

I would be interested in the following if they are still available:

Cubanelle
    Red Habanero
    Mini Bell - Red
    Red Ruffled Pimento
    Red Savina
    Tollie's
    Yolo Wonder Bell

Thank you for all your efforts in coordinating the swap!

Lynn

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

I'd be interested in the Lemon Drops ( 1 packet). Being a geologist (at heart),I can't resist a pepper called Volcano. Please add one of the Volcanoes to my stack too!

Thank you!
    Becky

• booberry85
    13 years ago

FYI: The peppers at least with a PI id in the "Pepper Russian Roulette" are a USDA id. You might want to check the USDA's website for info on those.

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

Had to do some googling but my 'wish list' is:

Cascabella
    Kashmiri
    any Habanero
    TAM Jalapeno
    New Mexico 6
    Quadrato Rosso D'Asti
    Yolo Wonder Bell
    Any of Smokemaster's 'mystery' peppers.

Thanks again Bonnie for organizing this swap. :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Patti - I will send you a mystery pepper or two

Cheveboy - Did you want the Chocolate Mini Bell or the Sweet Chocolate?
    Datil was already in your package. I added the following:
    Cherry Bomb
    Hot Cherry
    Chile Tepin
    Black Pearl
    Ghost
    Italian Pepperoncini

Lynn - Red Habanero was already in your package. I've added the following:
    Cubanelle
    Red Savina
    Mini Bell Red
    Red Ruffled Pimento
    Tollie's
    Yolo Wonder Bell

Becky - Volcano was already in your package. I added a Lemon Drop.

Jill - Cascabella, and White Bullet Habanero were already in your package. Would you like another color Habanero too? I've added the following:
    Kashmiri
    TAM Jalapeno
    New Mexico 6
    Quadrato Rosoo D' Asti
    Yolo Wonder Bell
    and I will add a mystery pepper from Smoke as well.

I'll repost what's left of the leftovers tomorrow ...

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

If they go unclaimed I'd like to have either of the red or the brown habanero. :)

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I'll take the following if they are still available:

Anything from smokemaster
    Bhut jolokia
    Cherry Bomb
    (Red) Hot Cherry
    Sweet Cherry
    Datil
    White hab (or white bullet)
    Orange Cal. Wonder
    Quadrato Giallo D'Asti
    Volcano

Thanks again for all your hard work!

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

Bonnie, if any of the following are still available, I would like:
    Grand Bell pepper mix
    Sweet chocolate
    Sweet pimento
    mini bells - red
    Mini Bells - chocolate
    Orange California wonder

Thank you for all your work on this swap.

Ellie

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

I wouldn't mind trying -

Earbob
    Mini bell red

and you could also pick me a Russian Roulette pepper.

If these are taken, no problem!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning!

Midwestchilehead - The Cherry Bomb is already spoken for. Your package has a White Habanero in it already. Do you want the White Bullet as well? The following have been added to your package:
    Bhut Jolokia
    (Red) Hot Cherry
    Sweet Cherry
    Datil
    Orange Cal Wonder
    Volcano

Farmergirl - Your package already has Mini Bell Red, Mini Bell Chocolate, and Sweet Chocolate in it. I have added the following to your package:
    Grand Bell Mix
    Sweet Pimento
    Orange Cal Wonder

Sandysgardens - The following have been added to your package:
    Earbob
    Mini Bell Red
    Something from Smoke

So here is what is left:

2011 I.E. Annual Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Leftovers List

Ancho - 2

Anaheim - 4

Bhut Jolokia - 4

Black Pearl - 5

Cascabella - 3

CAYENNES
    Cayenne - 1
    Cayenne, Long Red - 7
    Cayenne, Louisiana Red - 1
    Cayanne, Slim Red - 1

CHERRY PEPPERS
    (Red) Hot Cherry - 4
    Sweet Cherry - 1

Chile Tepin - 1

Chile Verde Hybrid - 1

Cubanelle - 2

Fresno - 2 (if you didn't send this one in, it's probably already in your package)

Fuego F1 (hot) - 2

Grand Bell Pepper Mix - 2

HABANEROS
    Brown - 2
    Orange - 8
    Red - 2
    White - 5
    Yellow - 1
    Red Caribbean - 1
    Venetian Sweet - 1
    White Bullet - 1

Hungarian Hot Wax - 4

JALAPENOS
    Early - 4
    TAM - 2
    M - 1

Jimmy Nardello - 1 (if you didn't send this one in, it's probably already in your package)

Lemon Drop - 3

Mini Bells:
    Red - 1
    Chocolate - 2

Naga Morich (1)

Orange Cal Wonder - 1

PIMENTOS:
    Pimento L - 3

Poblano - 2

Pepperoncino - 1

Quadrato Rosso D'Asti - 2

Red Savina - 2

Sweet Chocolate - 2

Serrano - 1 (yep, this is another one that is probably in your package)

Volcano - 1

• gjcore
    13 years ago

Peppers, peppers and more peppers...I think I have enough but if there's any more of the Bhut Jolokia then I'll take one of those.

Thanks Bonnie for all the work you've put in.

Greg

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Thanks Bonnie!!

• dirtdaddy
    13 years ago

I'd like an Anaheim and a mini bell red or chocolate if not already in envelope! thanks Bonnie!, david.

• cheveboy
    13 years ago

Bonnie, chocolate mini bell will do, thanks.
    If nobody ask for the Naga Morich or Volcano (they sound interesting) throw them in.

Thanks again

• romy6
    13 years ago

I may already have these but if not i would like
    ghost
    aneheim
    venetian sweet
    russian roulette(mystery)
    lemon drop
    chiletepein
    black pearl
    thank you Bonnielicouse

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Guys! I was finally able to get outside for a little while today, and do a little garden cleanup in the perennial beds. A little windy, but pleasant otherwise. Also, resowed a couple of peppers that were taking too long to sprout. Overall, a good day : )

Greg - I've added Bhut Jolokia to your package.

Cheveboy - I added Chocolate Mini Bell, Naga Morich, and Volcano to your package.

Dirtdaddy - Added Anaheim, Mini Bell Red, and Mini Bell Chocolate to your package.

Romy - Ghost is already gone. Assuming Tepin and Chile Tepin are the same thing, that is already in your package. I've added the following:
    Anaheim
    Venetian Sweet Habanero
    Lemon Drop
    Black Pearl
    A Smokemaster mystery pepper : )

The following packages will go out in Monday's mail:
    Farmergirl2009
    Gjcore
    Dirtdaddy
    Sandysgardens
    Cheveboy
    Romy6
    Carsons_mimi

I'll check back in tomorrow.

Bonnie

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    13 years ago

Sure Bonnie, I'll take the white bullet, and any smokemaster stuff you have left.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, John, I'll add that to your package.

I'm going to cut-off the last call after tomorrow, then I'll just put the rest of the packages in the mail on Tuesday, unless it is one that is waiting on a seed order to arrive.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I completely forgot to check in here on Friday..lol Just consider my pkg ready to mail. I'm sure I have plenty! :)

Thanks again!
    ~Wendy

• gardenunusual2
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I am amazed at how well you have organized this swap. Most grateful for the passion and time you have spent to make this such a success. I wanted to donate what I have left on my grow list, but most of them were received in trade, not ever growing them before I couldn't guarantee their authenticity.

For leftovers if there are any, I might like to try some hots that you might think would grow well in zone 5. Naga Morich if it's still available, Bhut Joloka, Cascabella, or mystery Smokemaster pepper.

@Smokemaster - if you ever move to NH, you will always have a place in my garden. I am so sorry you are unable to grow peppers where you live. You are so inspiring. My questions to you are, do you have a favorite pepper? After trying so many, do they all taste the same? What is the most peculiar pepper you have ever grown or tasted? And thank you for listing your favorite sources.

Last year I tried growing hots for the first time - EPIC FAIL. I did expandable peat pots. This year I am germinating in paper towels and baggies, and have had if I could guess 85% germination rate. I then transferred them to a high quality potting mix.

This year's grow list so far is:

Hot firecracker chile
    hot banana
    long red slim chile
    cayenne pepper blend
    my friend Joe's surprise seeds
    Pepper Joe's surprise seeds
    numex big Jim
    bishop's crown
    hot Jamaican
    alma paprika
    ordono multicolored
    grand bell mix sweet
    crimson torpedo
    Gam mi pepper (hybrid)
    small red hot pepper

What is most interesting to me is the peppers I thought would be easiest to grow have been the hardest to germinate. I hope myself and the others I am sharing these plants with will be able to see them come to fruition.

Tanya

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

I don't really have a favorite.
    I use most of my peppers dry as powders for rubs.
    I do use a LOT of Cascabel,Chile De Arbol,New Mex. Chile,California chile,Guajillo,Japone,Puya and Chile Negro in my rubs as a base for super hots.
    I really like Cascabel and chile negro together with different others for rubs.

I mix the base and add whatever to it.

An example would be cascabel,chile negro as the base then add habanero or whatever,Mexican oregano,cumin and maybe some Mexican cinamin(not the same as the ground cinamin in the spice bottles),clove or whatever taste I'm looking for at the time.
    Depends what I'm smoking-Poultry,fish or beef...
    I pretty much don't add salt to my rubs anymore.
    If I do I use sea salt.

• randar08
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

If any are left, the following would be good:

Black Pearl
    Volcano
    Quadrato Rosso D'Asti
    PI260250 or PI438638

This swap just keeps getting better!

Randy

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone!

Smoke, thank you for the photos and info on those peppers. I hope you don't think I was trying to discourage anyone from trying them, I just felt bad that I couldn't give them any information on them. Wouldn't it be neat if we could name one of the peppers Smoke's Mystery Pepper, or Smoke's Russian Roulette Pepper? You would be famous : )

BTW, do you grow your own Mexican Oregano, or buy the dried leaves somewhere. I have a perennial herb bed, and grow lots of annual herbs in pots, but haven't tried to grow that one yet. I do know that my dried herbs taste waaaay fresher than what you can buy at the grocery store. My husband bought a smoker a year or two ago, but I hadn't really given any thought to making my own dry rubs before. He can't tolerate much heat, but maybe I can come up with a blend that incorporates some milder peppers as well. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

Thank you, Tanya and Randy, for the kind words! Even though the swap has been kind of time consuming, I have learned so much from all of you pepper enthusiasts, and have been able to try a few new varieties, so I think it has totally been worth it. I hope you guys will feel that way too, when you get your packages back.

Tanya - The Naga Morich is gone, but I've added the following to your package:
    Bhut Jolokia
    Cascabella
    A Smokemaster mystery pepper

Randy - The Volcano is gone, but I've added the following to your package:
    Black Pearl
    Quadrato Rosso D'Asti
    PI 260250
    PI 438638

I'll check back later today. I've got to run to the post office to drop off the first batch of packages.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The first batch is on its way!!! Deb's, Tanya's, and Romy6's are now ready to be mailed as well. Also, both seed orders came in today. I need to divide the packets up among the folks that requested those items, and then I can get the rest of the packages in the mail.

Which brings me to a bit of a dilemma. I've gone through all of my 1" x 3" plastic seed baggies, and am using 3" x 4" baggies now, but they are almost gone too. My local Walmart is out of both of those sizes, which means I may have to resort to sandwich bags for these last few items. I've also had to resort to cutting 1" x 3" labels into smaller ones to stretch those as well. This is the price I pay for living in a small town, I guess. Next time, I will make sure I stock up before the swap starts!

• gardenunusual2
    13 years ago

This is exciting!

I can't wait to try growing these!

Now, where to put the plants I've started....

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

Smoked sweet Paprika,Pimento...
    Who said smoked pepper powder had to be spicey hot.

The TC7246 and PI438638 were VERY good producers,even in pots.
    The TC07246 is very tastey with a quick hot burst of heat that didn't last long.Very nice flavor.
    It's just now showing up on some seed venders sales lists.
    Don't know if it has a common name.
    The PI438638 is nice too,not as hot.

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

Had to accidently do some work,yup,I'm at work now.5pm-7:30am.

Just dry some pods in the smoker at a real low temp.
    Don't grind them all up.Freeze or store some whole.
    Great in chunks added to chile,stew and soups.
    Add some flakes to some cream cheese for a spread or dip.
    Tons of stuff you can use smoked pods for.
    Also don't dry all the pods.Freeze some that you just smoke / cooked-not dry for making homemade sausages.(ground pork,beef or both mix it with pod chunks,smoked garlic,smoked onion or whatever).

I only grow non bell peppers,nothing else.
    No weeds,Uh I mean other vegies or flowers...LOL

I get the Mexican Oregano for cheep here in Ca.
    It's mostly the buds.When you crush it it really smells good.
    I also heat up all my spices before I grind them.
    I don't buy cumin in powder form.Seeds grind quick and stay fresh a long time.

While you are smoking the pods do some garlic,onions and tomato quarters too.

Stuff some of all of the above in a jar and top it off with olive oil and stick it in the fridge for however long you can stand to wait.
    Chop up the oiled vegies and use for omlets,salads or whatever floats your boat.
    Cook with the spiced oil.
    Great stuff.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, so many great ideas!!! Guess that's why your the master : )

I've been making my own paprika for the past three years, using Alma Paprika peppers, but I've just been dehydrating and grinding, haven't tried smoking them yet. It's pretty awesome stuff, even without smoking them.

This summer, I roasted quite a few peppers in the oven, and then froze them. I've been using them in pasta dishes, and soups all winter. So when I roasted them, the skins bubble up and turn black or dark brown, and I know they are done. When you smoke them, how do you know when they are ready?

The thing I used my peppers for the most last year though, was canning - salsa, pasta sauce, and jalapeno jelly. My kids can plow through a jar of salsa in one sitting, and I think I ate English muffins with cream cheese and jalapeno jelly every morning for close to two months, just couldn't get enough of the stuff.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it ...

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

They are done when they taste good to you.
    If they aren't dry enough you can dry them the rest of the way in a dehydrator or oven or just air dry them.
    A lot of people smoke them hot for a couple hours and dehydrate them after that.

Go easy on the wood chunks at first.
    Especially with Mesquite.Stronger tasting woods.
    The smoke gets stronger as they age.
    I like Hickory and oak.But use different woods when I get them.
    You don't need the smoker putting out smoke the whole time.
    I have wood fueled smokers now but used to have others-electric,gas,water smokers.
    All have their place but I like it slow and low(heat).
    All I'll ever use is wood from now on.

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

I hate to wish summer away, but the more SM and Bonie talk about smoking peppers I can't wait to try it with peppers from this years harvest. I've dehydrated and ground different chilies and a few habs into powders but haven't smoked any yet.

Mike - any recomendations on a wood smoker? Also, my neighbors wondering if he would be able to use his weber to smoke any?

Bonnie - I canned pepper jelly last year too. My favorite is to mix it with cream cheese and use on crackers while sitting outside at night on the patio or just any ole time! We also plow though salsa like there's no tomorrow. We go through 6-7 doz jars easily fall/winter/spring. Come summer we need to ration ourselves until time to can again or make garden fresh.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since this thread has almost reached the limit, I am starting a new thread to track the return of your packages. Please follow the link below to post when you receive your package.

Thanks again for joining the 2nd Annual Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap. Hope everyone enjoyed it!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap Follow-Up thread

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

This is getting too far off of ROUND ROBIN. LOL
    I'll send you an E mail.