Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamiljablo

update: mnf: february round robin

kamiljablo
15 years ago

Yay! I new thread! I cant wait to get the box! Now the rules:

The box will arrive at your house when it is supposed to and you will be able to take anything out of the box you want. You must at least replace anything you remove with something similar, ie a seed pack for a seed pack, bulb for bulb, health and beauty product for something along the same lines (do not have to duplicate), garden decoration for garden decoration, well I guess you get the idea.

The box will also tell you where it needs to go next, it must be back on its way within 24 hours in order for this to work and you need to post what you took from the box. Do not post what you put in the box. At the end of the round robin, the box returns to me.

It is kind of like the telephone game only with a GW box. It is lots of fun but does require a bit of a commitment.

Post here if you would like to join and e-mail me your address.

Any questions, post here as I may not have explained it well and others may have the same question. Let the fun begin

Thanks.

diene

Comments (137)

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Linda! I'm glad you liked that ceramic jug! The cuticle cream was in it to save space and was in the box when it arrived here, but the jug came from me. It came with Paula when she moved here, and I know she'd be glad you have it. I was hoping you'd like it, but didn't want to say anything when I put it in.
    I found some information on woad, and here's the link.

Oh, Mark? You didn't really think I'd give out the actual delivery confirmation number, did you? Diene would have killed me if I had! LOL! Actually, if you deduct 1 from every number in that dc #, then you'll have the actual one that was on the package.

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Morning All;
    While this is winding down I have some concerns that one of the boxes has gone missing. I will work it out on my end so that no one is left out but it may extend this beyond the end of the month. The next time the box lands, could the person who receives it e-mail me privately for instructions to keep this going. Thanks.
    diene

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

;( No box today......

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

WOW! I got the box today! I took out:

$100 bill
    2 bottles of wonderful red wine
    a large bottle of Old Spice
    jar of home made hot salsa
    box of double chocolate truffles
    gift card to Gander Mountain
    Dutch Oven cookbook
    heavy duty garden trowel
    bulb planter
    24 pack of peat pellets
    Burts Bees hand cream

36 packs of veggie seeds....

then I woke up.... Nice dream, but no box again here.

Mark

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

...that doesn't sound good... is there a lost and found somewhere we can look for it?

• diene
    15 years ago

Unfortunately Dan there is no lost and found. That is the challenge of a true round robin. Fortunately with two boxes going and one making it most of the way, we can finish this nicely.
    Who knows, the box could resurface but each day that goes by with no word I become less hopeful.
    It never ceases to amaze me when things like this happen but it also makes me shake my head. What are these people thinking?
    Mark's box sounded too good to be true so I guess I was not surprised that it was not real. His turn will come.
    diene

• diene
    15 years ago

Hopefully the remaining box will land today and we can figure out how to keep this going until everyone has received the box. If it arrives on your doorstep, Mark or Jamil, please let me know. The clock is ticking!! diene

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YAY!!!! The box is here!!!!!!!!

Going to go open it!!!!!

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Um....I have a little problem......the box is sorta too small...I unpacked the entire box, prepeared a fresh new box, took out some things from the pile, started packing, and...well...I cant close the box, and there is still alot more things that need to go into the box....sooo.....I was wondering if I could upgrade it to a larger flat rate box...can I? I checked and everything fits just right. So can I upgrade the box?

Kamil

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Diene,

I have really enjoyed following the box and what everyone has received! Please do me a BIG favor? Do not start another box. You mentioned something about everyone getting it... if a box does not make it here, that is fine. I have enjoyed what blessings everyone else has had... and

harassing DAN! LOL!

If it shows, COOL! If not, then I have already been blessed.

Mark

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

...see if I help him when he gets in trouble with the ladies... mutter mutter mutter

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Kamil;
    We need to know what you took out of the box!! Come visit and share!! diene

• happidae
    15 years ago

Can I join in? If so, How?

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay I took out:

Gloves
    Bumblebee Pez
    Jawbreakers (for my little brother)
    jelly beans
    hersey kisses
    Book on Lilacs and Jasmines
    Farmers Almanac
    E.G.G.
    'Garden of Weedin' sign
    tealights
    dragonfly tealight holder
    12 flower seed packets - datura discolor, purple datura, symphyandra hoffmanii, fuzzy bean vine,everlasting sweet pea, joe pye weed, and orange cosmos to name a few.
    6 veggie packets - fennel, tomatillo, and peas to name a few.

I overstuffed the box, and it was mailed this morning I put some awsome things in there!

Kamil

• diene
    15 years ago

I bet you did Kamil and I cannot wait to see.
    Happidae this is the end of a round robin that began the first of February. Sorry.
    diene

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Kamil, I was hoping that you would take the books, dragon fly, tea lights, sign and chocolate..."G"..and you did!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Happidae, this round robin is closed but we have a new one to sign up for under March Madness...better hurry though!!

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

According to the PO scale the box weighted 11 pounds and 13.6 ounces....

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

So who all didn't receive a box yet?

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

I haven't seen the box yet.

Mark

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Just checkin in to see what's-a-goin'-on? :)

hmmmmm where are those boxes now?

Kamil ~ they're looking for you over on the cuke/melon swap.

Dirtdiggin ~ I emailed you back, did you receive it? :)

Hope everyone is doing great!

Great job on this swap idea Diene it was alotta fun!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmmm I wonder where the boxes are now.....

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Yes Wendy, I did receive it, just have a house full of sweeties that came down with my bug...it has been a bit of a challenge the last week or so, to keep up with everything. I think DH is the worst when he gets sick...OH MY lol. He's such a big teddy bear.
    I have a few trades that I just haven't had the energy to get to, but I'm bound and determined to get them out today. I'm trying to catch up on everything and will get back to your email shortly :)

DS and I ventured out the other day, checking for blackberries for Marks swap...it was a beautiful day and it felt good to get some fresh air.

Thank you for a fun Swap Diene. It's been great seeing all the different stuff that has been put in the boxes. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

• diene
    15 years ago

The box has not returned home yet so this swap is not over!! Where could that remaining box be?
    diene

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

I got a call from my wife that I have a box! It's gotta be it, so I will check it out when I get home from choir practice tonight!

I do, very much apologize up front, it will not get back on the road till Friday. I am covered up all day tomorrow. It will get moving on Saturday if this is it.

Mark

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

I found a few minutes to go through the box. What a haul!

I kept:

The $100 bill
    The bulb planter
    The industrial garden trowel

Oh, that was my dream... sorry.

I kept:

Big Ben puzzle
    go round cookies
    allegro chocolate bar
    allegro white chocolate bar
    cobalt gum
    Chinese stress balls

Seeds:
    Bulgarian Carrot Pepper (hot)
    Sweet red pepper
    Casabel (spelling?) hot pepper
    Tenessee Echinacea perennial
    white datura
    Turks Turban squash
    Sweet onion set
    Red onion set
    unknown orange lilly
    A Yukon Gold potato
    An all blue potato
    a sunchoke
    pack of white dutch iris

The package goes to someplace in North America next. It will go out sometime on Friday.

Mark

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Morning All;
    I am so excited, the box is coming back home. I am sorry about the missing one but that is life.
    I will let you know what returns here.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

bumping it up so it don't get lost. want to know what diene gets too!

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    We are having yet another snowstorm, I do not know if you can see it from the pictures I just took but I am not happy. We had 40 degree weather yesterday and I was hoping this was done. It was supposed to be a little dusting, maybe two inches but it has been snowing since 7 this morning.
    Well, the good news is the box has returned. I spent most of the morning putting the dahlias I bought yesterday into pots and trying to find room for them on my window sills. I will show you what a mess this has become.
    Living Room window

stuff from the box (I will catalog it later but there is some really cool stuff here)

Dining room window

Pray for sunshine!!
    diene

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Morning All;
    I have a list of most of the stuff in the box, I do not have a list of all of the seeds because there were way too many. If anyone is looking for a particular seed, let me know and if it is there, I will share. The neat thing is none of the stuff I put in the box came home. It is all out there somewhere. What I did get is: corn seeds, wood seeds (need some clarification on these), seed potatos and onions, caladium, star of bethlehem, gladioula, a needlepoint kit and bracelet making kit, three note pads, a journal, glitter stickers, 2 golfball candles, 2 hockey programs and a hockey T-shirt, wildflower reference guild, potato and onion growing guide (thanks), corn seeds, dried apples and sun dried tomatoes, Allegro (czech white chocolate), Lindt dark chocolate and two russell stover candy hearts. Birdfeeding guide, rubics cube, three refrigerator magnets, 2 flower pot arrangements, a package of peat pellet starters, neutrogena soap.
    I am sure I missed some stuff but there was just too much.

Now the rest of the story. The second box was delivered to dmboles (Jessie), who is new to GW and I was concerned about allowing a real newbie in to this swap but... this is the MNF which was started based on the fact that everyone had to be new once. Below is the e-mail I sent when he/she asked to join, I believe I copied some of you on this.

Good Morning;I received your e-mail and there is space for one more person but before I add you to the list I need to clarify a few things.This is a very specific swap that requires each person to respond within 24 hours. Most of the group is very familiar with each other and have swapped individually or in group swaps before. This swap is a variation that is new to most of the group.One of the reasons this type of swap was discontinued was because boxes went missing and ruined everyone's fun. Part of the reasons for the rate and review forums and some groups requiring membership rules is to try and prevent this. The Make New Friends group does not have any rules and while I firmly believe in that, I also need to make sure you understand the commitment you are making and that the rest of the group is comfortable with allowing a "newbie" in.Please let me know if you are still interested, the cost of shipping is around ten dollars and then you need to have stuff available to swap out contents of the box. I do not mean to be negative, I am trying to be both friendly and cautious. Please let me know your decision within the next 24 hours. Thanks.

To which I received this response.

Hi, thank you for the message.....and I appreciate the directness.....Yes, I am still interested and will zip the box out as directed.....I look forward to hearing from you....

We now all know that dmboles never had any intention of fulfilling the commitment. I felt at this point everyone should know where the box went. I did post on the rate and review and discovered we were not the only ones taken by this person who lives in South Carolina. I am mentioning that because people have been known to resurface with a new name and try to grab more stuff. If you suspect this person has resurfaced, contact me and I will verify the address.

Well, no more negative stuff. The swap was fun and ended close to on time even with the issue.
    Happy spring to all.
    diene

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Diene,
    I think you did a wonderful job. Anywho I am sorry we had this problem but do understand that everyone deserves a chance as a newbie.

Thanks for another wonderful swap!

Tammy;-)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Nice haul Diene! That is really neat that nothing you put in came back! This was great fun even w/ the hiccup of the person that didn't participate... Hopefully next time we won't have that issue.

I had alot of fun, ty for doing this!

~Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

I'll second that motion! This was a wonderful swap, we were all able to learn something, and diene did a fantastic job!

Kudos to you, diene! For a job well done, and for handling the problem a heck of a lot more graciously and wisely than I would have! These gold stars are for you!

-Dan

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Morning All;
    I am very curious because I sent a little something to everyone in the group. It was not much but I would have thought someone would have commented.
    Did anyone even receive theirs?
    diene

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I haven't received anything Diene.."peering in mailbox"

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Diene~ I did receive something from you last week! I just was pondering the "why?" and didn't get around to thanking you yet! But now I know, so I can say THANK YOU!! I love it, and appreciate you sending it! It's hanging up in my kitchen, in the window.
    Hugs to you!

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

I received a nice surprise, and I couldn't figure out who sent it. I put two and two together and thought it must have been Diene, although I couldn't verify the mailing address. ; ) I love my gift very much. What a sweet thing to do. Thank you so much. Treasa

• diene
    15 years ago

I sent sixteen identical envelopes at the same time. I find it interesting that some of the "near" people have not received them but the "far away" people have. I was hoping to track the PO using them but that did not work.
    diene

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi Diene,
    I received mine yesterday, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have it hanging in a tree in my front yard. It looks so pretty!

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Hugs,
    Deb

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

hmm.. not sure .. lol I haven't rec'd anything w/ YOUR name on the return envy Diene... I'm still rec'vg 'spring surprise' envys but nothing with your name.. ? That is very sweet of you tho!

~Wendy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Diene, you sneakie thing!
    I've been racking my brain, wondering who could have sent me something. I was afraid I'd forgotten someone in a swap! Whew!
    And it's absolutely beautiful!!!! As soon as it gets warm enough for my plants to go outside, it's going to get pride of place on my front porch!
    Thank you soooo much! It was a wonderfully sweet and thoughtful thing to do!

Joan

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

now I"m reaalyyy curious to what's coming.."peering in mailbox again"

• diene
    15 years ago

I am amazed that you do not have it yet Linda as I mailed them on the 14th and while I did not pay for priority, I would think they could have walked to your house by now.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm totally surprised at finding this swap still actually going on. Diene, you sent something to everyone? Wow! Even if it doesn't arrive, thank you!
    ***Wondering what it could be while standing next to my mailbox...maybe it'll arrive today?***

{{gwi:1247795}}

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I think mine and Dan's got highjacked in a snowbank!..."L"

• diene
    15 years ago

I am getting cranky about this, I hope to stop at the Post Office today and see what they say. Four out of sixteen is a really bad return.
    diene

• diene
    15 years ago

First I do apologize to anyone that did not get a little gift from me. Not sure where they went but..
    Remember the missing box? Well the person who kept that has now contacted me. This person has done many things that were not kosher and some of the people really went into overdrive and tracked her down through her work so now I received the message listed below:

"Please let me know how to rectify this with you. I am not trying to make excuses, but can only offer a sincere apology for any problems. If you can let me know what is needed to make the situation right again I will try to promptly address the matter.
    Thank you for your time, and again I truly apologize."

I responded that there was not anything that could be done at this point and I believe she only contacted me because she is in trouble at work. Everyone gets theirs' in the end.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more, diene! We all reap what we sow, eh? Thanks for keeping us posted.
    -Dan

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

LOL, someone tracked her down to her job! Wow!! What she did wasn't acceptable and no, there's not a lot she can do except perhaps return that box to you (doubtful that would happen even if everything was still viable in it).. and I'm sure you're right, you only got any sort of half handed apology because she was in trouble at work. Hopefully she'll have a bad bug invasion in her garden.

Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

and a lot of weeds Kathy, don't forget those!