Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

birthday buddies march: get ready!

March will be here next week, so I'm posting just a little early to give people plenty of time to prepare and get lists up.

Remember: Please e-mail me off-list the names of March birthdays you mail to, but don't include a listing of the flowers you sent. I only need to know that you sent a March card(s).

Our birthday buddies for March:

farmergirl2009 March 4th

robin1962-2008 March 12th

sandlapper_rose March 29th

Please get your Wish Lists of 20-ish flowers ready to post. If your list needs editing, please do that soon so you'll truly get only the flowers you currently want/need. Tell us a little about yourself when you post, too. Reading about who people are has been a very fun part of this whole swap!

Here's to anti-procrastination!

Deanna

Comments (52)

• flwrs4ever
    14 years ago

I am enjoying reading about everyone also !! Great seed lists, I hope come spring, people will share pics of their gardens !!

If you wish to grow it, you can have it on ur wish list, doesnt have to be "just" flowers !! Your Bday wish is our command..lol

I am excited to say that even with the cold, snowy winter..my bulbs are sprouting !! I dont think I have ever wished for spring as much as I am this year !!

Have a great rest of the week !! Happy Mailboxing to ALL the March Buddies :)

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Happy birthday Jeanne,
    Birthday's come around much too fast anymore. Hope you have a wonderful one.

I was out looking for all the spring bulbs that I planted last fall, but there is none coming up. Wondering since we had no snow cover if they froze. Lots of girls at the office say some of their's are up. I am jealous.
    Have a great evening.
    Ellie

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Ellie,

No need to worry yet, sometimes first year bulbs will be late or even very early. It depends on when they were planted, how they were stored before planting (before you even bought them), weather, Lots of things, don't worry!!!
    This winter has been colder and wetter for many areas and this can effect the bloom time of freshly planted bulbs! As they age they will be more tolerant of climactic changes and bloom when they are supposed to!

Happy Birthday Jeanne, Robin and Ellie!

Have a wonderful day!

Frances

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Robin. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted the other day. I didn't mean to forget you...must have had my head in the sand. So sorry!

Have a great evening.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Wow! It's not quite my birthday and I received from Jeanne a beautiful card and Rudbeckia & Echinesea seeds. Thank you so very much. Garden friends are so wonderful. It doesn't take much to make us happy and we have flowers forever. Thank you.
    Ellie

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

Hello,I am 47 years old,married ,1 daughter,son-in-law and 2 wonderful grandchildren who live with us.We also have 5 dogs,3 cats 3 fish ,1 guinea pig and 1 rabbit.I worked at a veterinary hospital for 18 years,now retired.I love to garden,quilt and crochet.My Mother is sickly and I have to stay at her house a lot to care for her.I don`t have internet there.I came home to catch up a little and post.Sorry but I`ll have to very quickly make a list for you all.
    peaches and dreams hollyhock
    any double hollyhocks
    rudbeckia
    daisies
    echinaceas
    sweet williams
    anything for shady banks
    solomons seal
    salvia
    delphiniums
    Monarda especially red
    Coleus
    any phlox tall or ground cover
    sun flowers
    poppies,any but lavendar
    cats whiskers, pink or white
    sedums,any
    angel wing begonias
    any thing else you would like to send

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

My first card and seeds came in today's mail. What a treat! A big thank you to Lisa (ishareflowers) who sent seeds that I just love --- and stuffed the card with confetti, too - a mini party! LOL

Robin, I saw about you anticipating a great birthday month this year and I am the same way - joined this group, the quilting Birthday Block Exchange, and a card and tuck-in birthday exchange through another group. It will be one exciting trip after another to the mailbox! Can't wait!

Thanks to all who are making my birthday so much fun!
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Wow the birthday wishes are flying early this month! I can't wait to see all of the special suprizes!

Jeanne
    you are going to have plenty of Birthday wishes! The qulting blocks sound like fun, I will be watching those threads in case of photos! Would be really nice to see what people create!

Robin

Best wishes to you and your Mom! It is good that she has you to care for her!

Have a wonderful day everyone and Watch those MailBoxes!

Frances

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

It is March Birthday time......

Happy Birthday to Ellie, Robin and Jeanne. Enjoy!!!!! And have fun!!

Annie

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Received from Lisa a package of Trollius "Golden Queen". Thank you so very much. I am sure that is what I had planted at my old house and because of the time of year I moved, I couldn't dig up a start. Thanks a million.

Ellie

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Two more cards received today. Thank you so much, ladies!
    From Frances, I received Rainbow Coleus and Blue Bedder Salvia and from Ellie I received Sweet Dumpling Squash and Paintied Daisies. I love all four!!! Ellie made a delightful handmade card and the one that Frances sent is a pretty garden scene.
    Ellie asked about how to cook the little pumpkins. I have not tried these before - just at the "hoping to grow them" stage now - but I think I saw this in the Seed Savers Exchange catalog that you just leave them whole and put them in a baking pan with a little water and bake them. I sure will give it a try if I can manage to grow a few Sweet Dumplings!
    Thanks again.
    Jeanne

• smitties
    14 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLIE!

Hope you are having a wonderful day.

Margo

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

This has truely been a wonderful birthday starting this morning at the office. THEN when I got home I had three envelopes waiting for me. From Frances I received heuchera and columbine, Iris sent Rudbeckia and two kinds of columbine, and from April bee balm, sedum & rudbeckia. Thank you each and everyone...it's better than Christmas.
    And just think when the flowers start to bloom it will remind us of our birthday again and again and to whom sent them to us.

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Everyone! Even though this thread was posted early I am still behind :o) Hope you all have/had many blessings on your birthday!!

Heidi

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, since I'm supposed to be the host of this here month's shindig, I suppose I should be gittin' on with some o' them games. I'll be working on a game (my first game--the pressure's on) and post in a few days.

Keep those birthday cards coming. Let's help our March birthdays say goodbye to winter with high hopes for spring and summer!

Deanna

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Want to say Happy Birthday to all our March ladies!! I also want to thank April for the card and seeds I rec'd for my belated February bd. Thanks so much! I loved it! I rec'd cayenne peppers, black pearl pepper, sweetie tomato, and spotlight yellow columbine! Much appreciated! Thanks, melinda

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Received a card today from Margo (smitties) today. Margo sent (2) Rudbeckia's, coneflowers and lavender. Thank you so very much. I can just see them blooming in the flower beds. Robin and Jeanne have a great birthday.
    Ellie

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jeanne and Ellie !!!!
    I`ve recieved 2 cards so far.Frances sent me jacob`s ladder and pink bleeding heart,jeanne sent me echinacea"white swan" and blue salvia like flowers!THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH!!!! Robin

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

I got another card today!!!Margo.Thank You for the ox eye daisy,maximillian sunflower,large sunflower,blue eyed daisy and sunset coneflower !! Robin

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1247987}}

Happy Birthday Robin, Ellie and Jeanne ! TGIF !! I hope everyone has a good weekend, I have enjoyed the first week of almost warm sunshine and getting my seeds started in the garage under my grow lights ... its supposed to rain all weekend long so I guess I will get in some early spring cleaning and maybe plant a few more seeds ;-)

~Iris

• smitties
    14 years ago

Robin, sorry I missed posting greetings on your birthday yesterday. Happy Belated birthday and I hope it was a happy one. Margo

Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, here's a March game. I thought this would be easy, so maybe my clues are too vague. If so I'll give more hints! Let me know.

The theme is the flowers of ancient mythology and legend.

(1) This flower represents the blood of a handsome mortal who was loved by a Greek goddess. It also represents the blood of Jesus Christ.

(2) This flower symbolizes love in Flanders.

(3) This Spartan flower sprung from the blood of a mortal who was a dear friend to a Greek god.

(4) This flower represented many things to the ancient Egyptians, one being the sun god because it closed with the nightÂs darkness and opened with the sunÂs rising.

(5) This flower is named after a Greek mortal who loved only himself (or, at least only his own looks).

(6) When a mortal fell so madly in love with the sun god that all she could do was stare at him day after day, the Greek gods took pity on her and turned her into this flower.

(7) This flower symbolizes the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Legend says its wood was used as the cross.

(8) This is the flower that bows its head for the faeries of Ireland.

(9) This purple flower was sent by a Celtic warrior, dying on the battlefield, to his lady. When she heard his message of love, her tears turned the flower white. (Hint: WeÂre probably more familiar with the purple version of the plant.)

(10) This flower represent the Virgin Mary (and chastity) for Catholics, and Easter for all Christians.

(11) The wine from this flower grants long life to the Chinese.

(12) This Chinese flower with a Greek name symbolizes prosperity and character to the Chinese.

(13) This fragrant tropical flower symbolizes love, peace, and happiness to the Chinese. Meng Chang ordered that these plants surround his capital city.

(14) At Christmastime this evergreen with its prickly leaf reminds us that Mary bore Christ.

(15) To Christians this middle-eastern flower symbolizes cleansing and purity. The Psalmist implores that we be cleansed with this flower.

1. This flower symbolizes so many things to so many cultures I canÂt even begin to list them all. It originated in Asia, and everybody has adopted it. It is often considered perfect amongst flowers.

Have fun!
    Deanna

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

Ellie,Thank You for a beautiful handmade card and pink poppies and sunflowers!!I`ll be leaving Tuesday to stay with my Mom again,probably for a couple of weeks.She`s doing better but still needs someone with her.Thank You all for a wonderful birthday!!! Robin

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCH BABIES`

i sent to the first two March babies but miseed robin because she hadn't posted a wishlist yet, would someone please send me the list of addies again?? I can't seem to find it!

Lisa

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Ann sent a beautiful B-day card (picture of a dog covered with a blanket. Reminds me of my poodle cause he always sleeps with me. Ann sent dianthus, helleborus and echinacea. Thank you ever so much. I started winter sowing last weekend (have never done this before). My baby chickens are now 10 days old and seem to be growing every day. It is indeed spring around here. Have a wonderful day everyone!
    Ellie

Original Author
    14 years ago

Remember to let me know who you are all sending cards to! And, any takers on the game? Haven't heard yet, but, again, if the clues are too vague, I'll be happy to add more clues so the game is fun to play and challenging. No need for springtime frustration!

Can you believe Spring officially starts in just a few days? Woo hoo!

Deanna

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Deanna,
    I have sent to everyone so far this year ... except for myself. LOL

April (dirt_under_my_nails),
    I received your card today and seeds and little paper packets to use for seeds. What a clever idea! The seeds are Dianthus superbus, Zinnia Burpeeana Giants Mix, and Ice Plant. I will love them!
    Thanks so much!
    Jeanne

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Deanna,

I sent to all the March buddies.

Lisa

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I received another lovely card today and it is from Robin. She included castor bean and white moonflower. Thanks so much, Robin, these will be great!
    Jeanne

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

I received from Robin moon flower bush. Thank you so very much. Spring has definately sprung in this area. Took Friday off from work and have been working in the yard. Ole body doesn't want to work as fast this year. One thing about new ground, I don't have to work around plants, bulbs, etc. I can just dig. It's like concrete and I want to put in lots of compost before I plant anything.
    Have a great day everyone!
    Ellie

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

Just a note to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL IN MARCH. I came in just to look and read and the love and the caring along with the giving here touch my heart very deeply. Feeling the warmth, the closeness, the generosity, the love, caring and understanding, WOW, I know that as a newbie to the GW site that I have found a site that treats everyone wherever they live, in whatever state their in like family. Since my b-day is in Nov. and I had nothing to do so far on Sunday morning, is the only reason I dropped in and of course had to tell you all my reaction to what I read. ANYWAY MAY YOU B-DAY GOERS HAVE MANY MORE

• flwrs4ever
    14 years ago

Mikey, welcome to GW !! If you would like to join our group, watch for the Secret Santa swap in December, it is a ton of fun, and newbies are more then welcome ! ( although by then u might not be a newbie...lol ) There are great people on GW..

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a happy spring !!

I hope the March buddies are having a GREAT month..April should be posted in the next few days.

How are your spring gardens ? anyone with blooms to share ?

Original Author
    14 years ago

Mikey, we look forward to celebrating your birthday in 2011, and you'll have a fun Christmas if you take flwrs4ever's advice! Trust me, I was a newbie this year. In October I had practically nothing to sow, and after the generosity on this site I have over 75 varieties of perennials out there in jugs winter-sowing. It has truly been a BLESSING!

No takers on the game yet. Is it too hard? Are we all just too spring busy? (I'm not complaining about spring, mind you!) Any suggestions on the game, or do we need another one? This is my first time hosting, so please don't hesitate to send me constructive advice.

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I received a card and seeds today from Annie (canyonwind):
    Climbing Spinach, Impatiens, and White Wedding Zinnias Thanks again,
    Jeanne

Original Author
    14 years ago

We're getting into our last week of March. I still have a card to mail out! Let's remember our March Special Ladies and get all our cards mailed soon. Happy birthday to you all!

Have fun ice skating, Jeanne. Do a couple of double axles just for me!

Deanna

• cherone7
    14 years ago

OMG I can't believe it's the 26th already!! I am SOOOO behind. All you March babies WILL be getting something from me.... eventually! My sister had surgery this past week, and pre- and post- op has been kind of hectic around here!

BUT I DO HAVE YOUR STUFF (just haven't had a sec to mail it)

Can you believe we have had TWO more days of SNOW since spring started?????? In zone 8 - Jackson MS! I was SO looking for spring to be sprung.... and our weather still can't decide if it wants to be in the 70s or the 40s! My poor veggies aren't sure what to do either! lol

I broke down and bought some tomato plants. All of my seedlings look so sad still. Their little stems don't seem to be strong enough to be healthy. Just hedging my bets.... I haven't given up on them quite yet. Wish me luck!

Later
    (now where did i put the stamps....)

• w9yards
    14 years ago

I have one card left to mail too! I just got back from my local herb farm I go to for seeds, so the card is in the mail tomorrow. I have the opposite problem with my tomatoes. I have 17 plants I have grown from seedling that are now in the garden, but I have over 40 volunteer tomato plants all over my garden! I am not sure what varieties they are going to be, but I am in the process of relocating them to a new area just to see what happens with them. Last year I planted at least a dozen varieties so it will be fun to see what happens. My husband enlarge my garden by quite a bit this year so space will not be an issue. It is in the 70's now and it is supposed to be up in the 80's in a few days so the weather should be perfect for gardening!

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I received a card and seeds today from Margo (smitties). Thanks, Margo. The card that you send reminds me of gardens and I will really enjoy the seeds - Cosmos 'Double Click' and Nicotiana sylvester 'Only the Lonely.' I will have to look that one up. It sounds lovely!
    All of the people in this group are so thoughtful.
    Jeanne

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Received a beautiful card from Diana and she sent rudbeckia "Autumn Colors" and Echinacea "Tennesseensis". What a treat! The card is simply beautiful! Thank you so very much. Spring has sprung! Weekends I have been digging like crazy. Since it is so rocky here, I have been sifting all the dirt and removing the rocks before I add horse compost. The people around here say in a few years the rocks will have worked there way back to the surface. LOL! At least maybe by that time these poor seedlings will have had a chance to grow. The bulbs are finally starting to come up where I planted last fall in the garden also. Love spring! Have a good day!
    Ellie

• smitties
    14 years ago

Oh my, March is about to come to a close. I hope all the March birthday were a success and I hope tomorrow for Jeanne. You share the same date as my grandmother who passed away three years ago this past December. Had she lived long enough, tomorrow would have been her 100th birthday.

Margo

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Hope all the March ladies had wonderful birthdays!!!

I swear I just saw the next months B-day Buddies thread. I even posted something & now the whole thing is gone....

later....April

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

Hi,I`m back home and while I was at my Mom`s my sil delivered my mail.I did recieve some more cards but everything is all mixed up so I can`t thank each one individually but I do so appreciate all the cards and seeds.I had a great birthday month thanks to you all!!
    Robin

• smitties
    14 years ago

I can't find and April birthday posting and have not seen one yet.

Has one been posted? I know some get lost here and wonder if that is the issue.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Robin,

I'm glad to hear that you got cards, I was wondering if mine got lost! I'll assume that you got it and they just got mixed up somehow.

Lisa

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

April's swap was posted....not sure where it went. Maybe the hostess could repost it?

later....April

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi all
    I want to apologize to all the March Birthdays...my cards are just going out today. I am trying to find out where the month of March went. I can't believe that Easter is this weekend. I hope that you all had wonderful Birthdays

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I received some cards yesterday which was my birthday - what good timing you had! Thank you so much to Diana (w9yards) who sent Carnation Chabaud, Dianthus Shrimp, and Pumpkin Little October and Iris (rane-grow)who sent Chrysanthemum carinatum, Impatiens Tom Thumb, and Sweet Dumpling Squash. The seed choices were great and the cards are very colorful and Spring-like!
    Have a good week, everyone.
    Jeanne

Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it's the last day of March. Thanks to ALL of you for taking time out of the busy early spring season to send to Birthday Gals. As this is my first year as a serious gardener, I can honestly and truly say I've never had such a fun March. March is usually that in-between-nothing-to-do month. What a change this year! I know you all were just as busy or busier, especially ya'll in the warmer temps. So, again, thank you so much for taking time out to make our birthday ladies feel extra loved and special.

And, I just mailed out my one birthday card today. Pretty sad for the host, huh?!

Heres' to blue skies a-comin'!

Deannna

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I received a card and Celosia Famingo Feather seeds today from Heidi. Thanks so much, Heidi!
    Jeanne

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Received a lovely homemade card from Heidi yesterday. She sent sweet william BUT the card was so cute. The verse in it said:
    You make think this card is late
    But you'll have to change your tune.
    It's not (2) days too late
    But (363) days too soon.
    Thanks a million Heidi. Hope everyone's month was great.
    Happy Easter everyone!
    Ellie