Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamiljablo

Possible Swap?

kamiljablo
15 years ago

Flowers are affordable trend setters; they can be used in unexpected ways.

Flowers have held an eminent place in our art, religions, pharmacopoeia, and kitchens since ancient times. Tangled pea vines and primitive roses are depicted on Bronze Age artifacts. Mustard flowers were included in Roman love potions for their aphrodisiac powers.

The Renaissance cook did not confine flowers to vases. In the fourteenth century, peony roots were deemed a food fit exclusively for kings. Carnations and dianthus were so important that an entire book was written about them. Tansie, a type of sweet omelet, could be colored purple with violets or yellow with cowslips and marigolds.

The herbalist Gerard suggested in 1597 that "oregano is very good against the wambling of the stomacke." Daisies steeped in wine with sage and southernwood were considered a cure for insanity if the patient drank this mixture for fifteen days. In medieval times a bath of aromatic thyme was thought to cure hangovers and restore bravery and vigor to exhausted soldiers.

Flowers add romantic history to our food. They lend a charming, healthy, and unusual dimension to our tables. During Queen Victoria's reign there was a Primrose Day. A fanciful recipe for fairy cups called for a peck of flowers pounded with ladyfingers, three pints of cream, sixteen eggs and a little rosewater, buttered and baked with sugar on top.

Edible petals are easy to grow at home. They have become readily available at produce stores and farmers markets. Their flavors range from sweet to snappy and they compliment everything from artichokes to zabaglione.

I was wondering if I start an "Edible Flower Swap" would anyone be interested? If so I will need some help as this would be my first time hosting a swap.

Some edible flowers:

Angelica

Anise Hyssop

Apple

Arugula

Basil

Bee Balm

Borage

Burnet

Calendula

Carnation

Chamomile

Chicory

Chives

Chrysanthemum

Clover

Coriander

Cornflower

Dandelion

Day Lily

Dill

English Daisy

Fennel

Fuschia

Gardenia

Gladiolus

Hibiscus

Hollyhock

Honeysuckle

Hyssop

Impatiens

Jasmine

Johnny-Jump-Up

Lavendar

Lemon Blossom

Lemon Verbena

Lilac

Mallow

Marigold

Marjoram

Mint

Nasturium

Okra

Pansy

Pea

Pineapple Guava

Pineapple Sage

Primrose

Radish

Redbud

Rose

Rosemary

Runner Bean

Safflower

Scented Geranium

Snapdragon

Society Garlic

Squash Blossom

Sunflower

Thyme

Tuberous Begonia

Violet

Yucca

Thanks,

Kamil
Flowers are affordable trend setters; they can be used in unexpected ways.

Comments (26)

• jaynine
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kamil,
    I'll join if you decide to have it.
    Janine

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Kamil: I'll join if we can keep the swap number low. I only have a few flowers, but they are all edibles! Me likes to eat.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

you know what Kamil? This sounds like a tasty swap...I had just read about edible flowers that can be used in salads. Would this be a seeds swap? I'm in if it is! Linda

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

bumping

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I would joing also. I LOVE edibles flowers, tea flowers, medicial flowers anything like that. I actually am getting ready to plant a tea garden this spring. So this would be a GREAT swap to start that off for me. :-)

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I also didn't realize primrose was edible I have a ton of it. So now I will have to look that up on uses.

KUDOS to Kamil

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

5 people so far are interested! If there are 10 then I will put this swap together!

Kamil

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump!

• jaynine
    15 years ago

maybe if you posted on other forums/exchanges you might find someone who's interested?

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes exactly! I will do so!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Greenthumb: Thanks for all the cool info!!

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Count me in Kamil. When?

When I was in college, I wrote a book with one of my professors called Eat Your Back Yard. It sold a whopping 500 copies! don't know whatever happened to the rest. I have my two copies... We focused on edible flowers.

Mark

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will post the swap as soon as we reach 10 people!

Nice Mark!

Come on lurkers! We need 4 more people!

Kamil

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Mark that is so cool. I ccan't believe we have our own auther of edible food right here. You had better had joined. I will be having a ton of questions for you.

Come one everyone this is going to be great. Only 4 more to go. lets swap.

Tam

• clay_lady
    15 years ago

I would love to be a part of your swap.. I LOVE edible flowers. I work ar Kohl's and I love to take salads to work with flowers added . I try to make it educational for all even if they wrinkle their noses at first-- if you try the flowers in front of them -- they are usually willing to give it a try. thanks clay_lady

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay! 3 more people are needed!

Kamil

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

I will make one more person. : ) Treasa

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Only 2 to go. Aren't we excited... :-)

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay! Come on lurkers please join!

Kamil

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

I will join. This will be my first RR, so I'll need someone to hold my hand through this :-)

Carrie

• jaynine
    15 years ago

kamil,
    there's a definite yes over on the seed exchange, and somebody over there has a question for you--don't know if you noticed.

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Yeah with the seed exchange one I think we are at 10 right???? Alright. I'm excited commmme on kamil. We are ready to trade...

;-)

• cjcjmass
    15 years ago

Is the swap close?
    I fairly new so please please be patient
    I would like to join

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

we on't have the swap date yet or some of the details, cjcjmass...so welcome!

• kesflower
    15 years ago

Are you still open to one more joiner? I've never done a swap before so I'll need lots of advice, but I have thyme and creeping thyme and daylilies that desperately need divided (though I have no idea what their names are and I had no idea they were edible!) and I'm starting some lavenders from seed this year (the ones from last year are already larger than the 6" pots from the nurseries)