Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynine60

new: march color of the month: pink

jaynine
14 years ago

With a few changes, Ive copied the following from another ÂColor of the Month swap:

Any seed that produces a pink flower, fruit, herb or vegetable or has a name including the word ÂPink or brings the color pink to mind is welcome. Please do not send anything other than seeds (no plants, bulbs, cuttings, etc.).

Please donÂt send invasive plants, noxious weeds, or seeds more than 2 years old (unless you know theyÂre viable.). Please include the following on the packet label: the name of the seed, year collected/packed for, your GW name, and whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected.

You may send as many as 10 packets or as little as 1: any amount over 10 will be considered extra. Those who send extras will get extras back, depending on the varieties sent in. Please donÂt send more than 2 packets of the same variety.

Please send in the number of seeds per pack that you would be comfortable receiving yourself. This may vary depending on the variety. As a general rule, there should be a minimum of 10 seeds per pack.

Sign-ups end March 10th; seeds should be mailed by the 15th. After signing up here on this thread, please send me an e-mail with your full name & address and your GardenWeb name. I will reply back to you with my mailing address.

Use a bubble envelope in good condition when you mail to me (it will be used to mail back your new seeds) and include all of the following along with your seeds:

1 Mailing label with your full address on it.

2. Stamps equal to what you used to mail plus one extra in case itÂs needed. Unused postage will be returned.

3. A piece of paper with your GW name, e-mail address, and a list of what you sent in so you don't get those seeds back. (If youÂre pressed for time & canÂt include this, no big deal.)

4. Please let me know if you'd prefer edibles, ornamentals or a mix.

If there's something 'Pink' that you're specifically looking for, feel free to post it here.

I donÂt know about you guys, but I have TONS of seeds that fit this swap (including many vegetables & pink flowering herbs!). If there are at least 5 other people out there that enjoy this color as much as I do & want to participate, IÂll consider this swap a ÂgoÂ.

Janine

Comments (47)

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Janine!

Thanks for hosting the pink swap! Sign me up!!!

Penny

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

Add me to the list.

Don (dem_pa)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I've been away too long! I'm in!

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I'm not a pink person but I can probably come up with a few packs. These color swaps have been fun! Sign me up.

Alana

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice to see you all; thanks for signing on. We need just one more person to continue, several more would be even better!

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Well, I like pink and I was hoping to help you out by being the needed person, but I looked through my seeds but I have too few in pink to participate and those that I have are likely not even collected within the past two years. (This probably means that I plant my pink seeds each year.) Maybe I will have better luck with another color later on. About a week ago I trimmed my Pink Muhly Grass and should have looked if the seeds were still on it... too late now, it's in the compost pile.
    Pink Muhly Grass is so beautiful here in the fall. I had a hard time finding it when I bought it... I remember going from one plant nursery to another. I saw it in bloom at our botanical garden and you know how that goes - you see something and you have to have it! LOL
    Anyway, I hope you get the one more person needed in order to do the swap.
    Jeanne

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jeanne, I appreciate the thought! Pink Muhly Grass is so pretty. I sowed some recently-hope they germinate.
    Maybe I should list some of the more uncommon leftover seeds that aren't on my page to try & draw people in. Nah, Pink deserves love without bribery!
    Pink Fact: Interestingly, pink is the only tint of a primary color with a name of its own. (Baby blue is still blue, and light green is still green; names like 'aqua' and 'mint' are relatively recent monikers for "tertiary" color mixes of blue/green/white)....copied from dreamhomedecorating.com.

• esiuol
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

This sounds like fun! I'd like to join in!

Louise

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, Louise! We're officially a real swap & there's still plenty of time for sign-ups, folks!
    I've emailed my address to everyone. If you haven't received it, please let me know.
    Pink Fact: Deep red or bright pink fruits and vegetables should be eaten every day, recommends the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Nutrition research shows that red and bright pink fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals, such as lycopene and anthocyanins. Phytochemicals, substances found only in plants, help your body fight disease and promote good health.

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pink Fact of the Day: Pink Floyd's name comes from two r&b artists, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.
    I actually never knew this and I've listened to them since I was a teenager (that's a long, long time).

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1248875}}
    Pink Fact of the Day: The Flamingo's colors come from the beta-carotene in the mollusks, crustaceans and algae in their diet.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

hmmm...so if I ate the same thing I would turn pink?.."pondering"....

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Yea!!! I'm in the pink, sign me up.

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

I have a few pink items, count me in!

• jmt2213
    14 years ago

count me in as well

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, look what happens when I don't go online for awhile! Welcome hibiscusfan, ten_steps_ahead & jmt2213~I'll be sending you an email shortly. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody!
    'Regardless of the shape of the flowerfrom the tight, small buds of a pink garden rose to the delicate, open petals of a pink caellia in full bloompink blossoms convey youth, innocence, and joy.' (teleflora.com)

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'The cut produced by pinking shears may have given its name to (or be derived from) the plant name pink, a flowering plant in the genus Dianthus (commonly called a carnation). The color pink may have been named after these flowers, although the origins of the name are not definitively known. As the carnation has scalloped, or "pinked", edges to its petals, pinking shears can be thought to produce an edge similar to the flower.' (wikipedia)

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

I'm in, too! Pink is one of my favorites!

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome catrionaa~happy to see you! That makes ten of us with today & tomorrow still left to sign up. I've sent everyone my address. Please let me know if you haven't gotten it.
    Pink Fact of the Day: Bubblegum was the original scent of the pink colored Magic Scents Crayons from Binney & Smith Inc. introduced in 1994 with mostly food scents. There were numerous reports that children were eating the food-scented crayons, so they were retired and replaced with non-food scents. The scent for the color pink became "shampoo". (squidoo.com/allaboutpink)

The sun is shining, the birds are singing and it's time to go down to the greenhouse. Life is good.

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

Mailed mine today.

Don (dem_pa)

• acalgirl
    14 years ago

Count me in!

Tina (acalgirl)

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Slow buds the pink dawn like a rose
    From out night's gray and cloudy sheath;
    Softly and still it grows and grows,
    Petal by petal,
    leaf by leaf.

Susan Coolidge

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How lovely~thank you.
    There are still a few more hours to sign up for those who might be thinking about it!

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don~your very nice selection of seeds came today.

Pink Fact (?) of the Day: 'Pastries taste better when they come out of pink boxes or served on pink plates (it only works with sweets). Pink makes us crave sugar.' (squidoo.com/allabout pink)

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I will mail mine this weekend. I'm afraid I'm running a bit behind and finding "pink" seeds was a challenge.
    Alana

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Received a package from hibiscusfan today!
    If anyone needs a few more days to mail out their seeds, it should be fine.

Pink Fact of the Day: In Japan, the color pink has a masculine association. The annual blooming of the cherry trees, with their pink blossoms, is said to represent the young Japanese warriors (the Samurai) who fell in battle in the prime of life. (squidoo.com/allaboutpink)

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

I mailed my seeds out this afternoon.

Barbara

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Jaynine,
    I just wanted to let you know that my pink seeds went out in the mail on Saturday morning so hopefully you will receive them shortly.

Penny

p.s. I like all of the pink facts that you are posting.

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone~Three packages came today: esiuol, acalgirl & jmt2213!
    This one's for you, cybermeowz:
    Pink Fact of the Day: Cats with pink noses are more susceptible to sunburn than those with dark noses.

Meet my extremely handsome, pink-nosed buddy~Buzz (my mother-in-law's kitty).

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got a package from Barbara today (ten_steps_ahead)!

Pink Fact of the Day: The pink carnation is symbolistic of a mother's undying love. (wikipedia)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I don't know why I thought the package had to be mailed by the 20th!! Is it too late to mail mine???,,,,"smacking self on head"

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda~Don't worry about it and no, it's not too late!
    Received a package from Alana (poisondartfrog) today.
    Happy St Patrick's Day to all. Enjoy the rest of your night.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

seeds are gone!...WHOOSH!

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got Penny's (cybermeowz) package yesterday; only one more to go (one person has withdrawn).

A Pink Elephant: term to describe hallucinations during intoxication.

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda's package came, so I'll be redistributing & sending them back out to you all within the next few days. I'll post when they're in the mail!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I"m so glad it got there..I"m sorry that it was late!

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda~Not a problem!!
    I'm almost done; hopefully they'll be in tomorrow's mail...

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, they're on their way: hope you each find a treasure in pink within your package!

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops! I forgot something.
    I'd like to thank you all for joining & for sending in such a nice selection! It was a pleasure to host this month's swap. I'd really appreciate it if everyone would post to let me know when they receive their seeds.
    Be on the lookout for the next scheduled Color of the Month Swap. April is White and I've got lots!!
    Thanks again. Have a good night.

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Thanks Janine, for hosting the pink swap.
    I will be posting the next swap tomorrow. If there is enough interest I want to get it started so that everyone can get their seeds as early in April as possible so that there is still plenty of sowing time.
    I have lots of white too!
    Alana

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my pink seeds today at noon. Thanks to all who participated in this swap. What a great variety of seeds. Some will be winter sown tomorrow. Thanks to a great hostess.

Don (dem_pa)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

received my seeds today.."jumping up and down"...what a wonderful selection...thanks to the hostess and everyone who sent in seeds!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Received my seeds today and exceited to get them planted. The selection was great and thanks Janine for hosting and to everyone in the swap for sharing!

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Janine,
    I also received my seeds today. You sent a really fantastic selection. I'm so happy with the seeds that I got. There were quite a few from my wish list. Thank you so much for that.

Thanks again for hosting the pink swap. I'm so glad that we were able to hold this swap after the one last year didn't happen. You are a fantastic hostess!

Penny

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Janine,
    I received my seeds yesterday and I love what you picked out for me. Kudos go out to you for hosting this great swap and the other participants for sending in such wonderful seeds. It will be raining here the next few days and I can't think of anything better than to wintersow my new seeds. Thanks again!

Ten Steps

• jaynine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everybody,
    I'm so glad the packages are arriving & you're happy with your seeds (so far)!
    Enjoy what's left of your weekend~
    Janine

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the great pink seeds. I started half of them already. Next time someone says it's time for a pink swap, I should have more to offer!
    Great job, Janine,
    Alana