Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: Seeds-n-Stitches March Swap 2011

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

Hello Everyone! And Welcome to the Seeds-n-Stitches March Swap! This month we're going to trade 9-Patch Blocks with a Gardening Theme, and yes, we're gonna trade some seeds too!

DATES TO REMEMBER: February 28 - Last Day to Sign Up

March 1st - Announcement of Partners

March March 14th - Send By Date

As always, you need to be at least 18, a swapper in good standing, and sewers of all experience levels are welcome!

You may send to 1-3 people, and you will be sending a 9-patch block measuring 12.5"x12.5" unfinished, solids and patterns welcome, with at least one block having something to do with gardening.

Also, you will need to include at least one (1) packet of seeds, flowers or veggies, your choice.

Once I announce partners, you will need to get in touch with your partners to exchange addresses.

So, who wants to party like a leprechaun and get green???

-Dan

Comments (85)

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Sounds like you all are having fun. Going to be some great blocks! I do hope all will post pics, as I am not joining this month! My sister is still waiting to do the double mastectomy-she has to have her female organs all checked first, as they think their is a problem there. And yesterday, I did biopsy and will know tomorrow. It has been an emotional roller coaster ride the last few months for us for sure! But I love to see the blocks. Dan, have you done anymore of the twister quilting? That looks so cool, hope to do one myself soon if able! And Sandra, can't wait to see the canning jar quilt finished!
    Enjoy! Melinda

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Im still alive lol. yea been working 7 days a week, paychecks good but its taking its toll.
    Ill work on these monday. my first day off in what seems like forever! Ill finish up feb blocks monday too, not much left to do on them. I just been falling asleep after work. should be back to normal here soon, we got one day off this comming week!! whoohoo!!

Hope you get good news tomarrow ilovefarac Melinda
    Cant wait to see you quilt when its done Sandra!!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Sorry I've been silent - just busy cleaning up after the flood! We live 1/2 block from a large creek that just spilled over its' banks Mon pm - made the national news for 3 days so I've heard. (Who has time to watch TV??)
    Anyway, garage got hit, house is fine. Still have a mini Lake Erie in my backyard - after 4 days now I'm sorta of sick of looking at it (only 'cuz I can't afford to buy a boat! LOL) Wondering what effects flood waters have on the gardens - never lived here during a flood before, Thank God! Seems many of our neighbors have a whole system in place. Really don't want to get to that point, but apparently we'll have to! :(

So, nottougly, I need your addy,please! Dan & quiltingfox I already have yours. Going to sew tomorrow after Dr appt - weather forecasting 2-3" of rain Fri & Sat. Whoopee!!

~Cindy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a week it's been!
    One of my nephews is in the hospital with a lung that's collapses twice since Thursday, so he's going in for surgery to repair the hole this coming Thursday.
    Earlier this week I had a huge fight with my best friend, but thankfully we got past it and all is well now.
    Last night the main waterline for my area broke down, so the water was shut off for about 10 hours. When it came back on the pressure was too much for one of the lines going to my shower, so that had to be fixed this morning after I demolished the cupboard space it was behind. This might turn into a nice remodelling of the bathroom cupboards, but I wasn't planning on doing any remodelling, that's for sure!
    And of course, the snow keeps coming and coming and coming and coming.
    Sometimes I wish I could push the "pause" button just long enough to catch my breath and get back some of my sanity. Don't you???

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Dan were do you find this pause button? I so need one! LOL
    Hope everyone has a better week.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll drink to that! Here's to a new, better week for us all!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Must just be a bad week! My daughter and her boyfriend had a huge fight and she and the baby have been here for a couple of days. They're going back to her apartment today and hopefully things got worked out.

I AM going out to lunch today with a dear friend...as long as it doesn't keep snowing and make driving impossible...where is Spring??????

I have everyone's addy that I need and have my material ready to go!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Wow! I was taught that when life gets hard, just look around...there are plenty of other people going thro worse things. You all are having a rough time, huh??! I thought the flood was bad - altho it didn't get as bad as it could have - but dirty water is easier to deal with (lots! easier) than health & relationship issues. I'll add you all to my prayer list!
    On an UP note (we all need one:) the rains that were predicted this second round weren't nearly as heavy as they thought. So no flooding this round. (Go figure, 3 dozen sandbags & we don't need them!!...yet!) Since spring isn't here yet, we'll keep them around for future use - then add them to the gardens. I figure they'll amend the clay-ish soil very nicely & help w/future drainage. Trying to find the good in this whole mess!
    My blocks are finished & getting ready for mailing tomorrow. This was a fun swap, Dan :) Thanks! for hosting. It has helped lift my spirits & keep me from looking out the windows every 5 minutes!!

Raising a glass to a great week for ALL!! Starting NOW!!!!!

~Cindy

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Melinda I will keep you and your sister in my prayers.

I have my block pieces cut out, will pull out the machine and sew them later this week. Cutting out a few extra blocks to put toward Grandma's quilt. :-) Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

My blocks are in the mail :)

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Mailing my blocks tomorrow. :-)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It feels like forever since I last checked in, how is everyone doing? We've had a few nice days (over 30F) hereabouts, so that's made things a lot better! I was going to sit down and get my blocks ready to be mailed out in the morning, but they've disappeared. I'm just glad the were 9-patch blocks! It'll be easy to whip up another batch once I'm offline. And of course, they'll show up soon, probably tomorrow evening, but that's okay. They can be easily put to use in some project down the road, right?
    Hopefully everyone should be getting their blocks mailed out by Monday evening, and then we can all sit back and enjoy watching everyone receive their new quilt blocks.
    If anyone has NOT heard from their partners regarding addresses, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, okay? Thanks, and have a great weekend!
    -Dan

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Wow! Woke up this morning to a white wintery wonderland! Too bad it was real -- I had hoped to be able to turn the page & find it was really 65 & sunny!! And to top it off we lose an hour of sleep tomorrow night!! AAGHHGHHH!! Losing sleep is NOT on my 'to-do' list! I can do that enough on my own ---- don't need to schedule it! LOL
    Working this weekend on a RR quilt. It was gorgeous when I got it, so the bar has been set pretty high! If I can keep at it for a few hours without interruptions I should be mostly finished by Sun eve. 'Course I could get more done if I wasn't losing an hour of sleep...(grumble,grumble...)

Hope everyone had a better week this week than last!! And be grateful we don't live in Japan! Praying for all there.

Counting my blessings,
    ~Cindy

• bev2009
    13 years ago

My packages went out yesterday. Don't laugh when you get the big envelopes. I'm not myself right now and I had it in my head a 12x12 quilt block needs a big envelope. So I already had them address before I went to put the fabric in and noticed...duh...they can be folded and would fit in a nice small envelope. Well by then, it was late at night and I just wanted to get them in the mail. So have your laugh at my expense and then hopefully enjoy the quilt block:)

From a natural blonde...you could tell right?
    Bev

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After consulting with the Wise and Great Bump, I found my blocks last night! YAYYY!!! And now they are happily in the air, flying to their new homes!

Let's see who's posted what, shall we?
    dan_the_mailman sends to lindaruzicka, gmom, bev2009 SENT
    quiltingfox sends to quiltpartner, nottougly, gmom SENT
    bev2009 sends to quiltpartner, lindaruzicka, chrizty SENT
    quiltpartner sends to Dan, nottougly, quiltingfox SENT
    nottougly sends to chrizty, bev2009, gmom
    lindaruzicka sends to Dan, chrizty, quiltingfox
    chrizty sends to nottougly, bev2009, quiltingfox
    gmom sends to Dan, lindaruzicka, quiltpartner

Okay, so it looks like we're about halfway there. I'll give it until Monday evening for the other 4 to post, and after that I'll send out reminders to any and all who haven't sent out their blocks yet.

Bev, thanks for the chuckles! I'm not laughing at you though, just at the memories of doing the same thing! When I first started GW I would send bubbled envelopes to people INSIDE bubbled envelopes! Can you believe it? Since then, I've learned to send a bubbly containing address labels instead. I'm sure I caused some head-shaking with that! In fact, I seem to remember a certain resident busybody posting about her amusement within my rate & review thread...hmmm. All I can say is it's better to spread smiles than frowns, and even though smiles are contagious, at least you don't have to use any penicillin as a result of catching one! (some parties here on the ol' GW DO get out of hand, don't they???)

Happy Weekend to Everyone!
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

my blocks are ready to go out in tomorrow's mail.."S"

• nottougly
    13 years ago

All 3 of my blocks are in tomorrows mail.
    Faye!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Dan, LOVE your rants! :):) You ALWAYS make me smile:) & I say 'rant' in a good way! :)

Sandra, got your lovely block & seeds in the mail Sat. DH found it Sun when we came home from church - evidently DGS missed it when he 'helped' by bringing in the mail! :) THANK YOU!! Adding it to my Feb garden blocks for a garden quilt to remind me of all my GW friends.

Hope everyone is recovered from that killer weekend we had (hate the spring end of DST)! Sun is shining here!! WooHoo!!

~Cindy

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Chiropractor popped my joints back into place today - yeah! It was a little gloomy while in town and on the way home, as it is a rainy day. But when I checked the mail today, it so brightened my day - I got a block and seeds from Cindy! Thank you bunches Cindy! She sent cosmos and echinacea. The block had 4 smaller blocks made of 9 squares each so as she put it, it is a real nines in nine. I did not know you could sew that small of blocks on the sewing machine, so I have learned something new. The fabric is beautiful floral print in brilliant spring colors. It is a really beautiful block that is going to look great on the quilt I am making for my grandma! :-)

Well off to sew some 9-patch blocks for grandma's quilt and wash some fabric for my cousin's baby quilt. Hope everyone has a great week!

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy, if you like my rants, then you should check out the link below. Back when I was just a newbie here on the ol' GW I started a thread called Confessions of a Serial Gardener. The basic format for it was that there really wasn't a format, I'd just sign on and write about whatever was flittering and fluttering within my skull. I was a lot of fun to do, and I met some great people by doing it. When you spoke of me ranting, I thought of it immediately, and yes, after 4 years, it's still there.
    How time flies by, eh Linda?

Here is a link that might be useful: Confessions of a Serial Gardener

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I received Dan's and Bev's blocks in the mail. What a nice treat instead of the usual stuff!

Anyways, Bev's block was a 9 square of assorted flowers. The block in the middle was of hearts in memory of her grandmother. It will have a special place on my quilt.."S". She also sent pink columbine, yellow cosmos, and lilliput zinna seeds!

Dan's block was burgandy solid for 4 of them with a wildflower square for four and then an oat grass for the middle square. Very pretty.. He sent yellow Hibicus and broom corn seeds as well!

Thank you both so much. They will be wonderful additions to my "Garden Friends" quilt. ((HUG))

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I posted on Sunday But I don't See it. Don't know what I did but it is not here.
    I've been outside burning Mother Natures cast offs. Dead and dying trees. Some have been down since the last logging day in the 80's. We've been here for 10 years and my piles never seem to be gone. We keep cleaning our 2 lots but never done.
    What a beautiful day it is. I ate lunch outside and pulled up my sleeves and pantlegs for some vit.D! It was 42 Degrees.
    I'm still in this swap only slow. I recieved blocks from Dan and Sandra. What a nice selection of colors. Also got seed from them. Thank You. Mine will be in the mail as soon as we go to town this week. Whatever day that might be.
    I'm hoping for lots more of this type of beautiful day.
    Happy gardening!!
    gmom

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Linda, I'm glad you like the block. Since this is my first time, I'm not sure what the "usual" is? It was my mother who passed away. Did I say Grandma in the letter? Well, that was what we usually called her since two of my kids live with us as well, so I might have used that name. Since she passed away on Valentine's Day, hearts are going to be my thing going forward. I made a bog garden last year and it is sort of in the shape of a heart, so this year I am going to accentuate the heart with stones. It is right outside my dining room window and in the middle of the butterfly garden, so we will see it everyday. I sure miss her! This has made me so much more sensitive to friends who have parents who are aged.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

OMG! Dan! :) Too Funny!! Thanks for the link --- been reading for quite awhile & you're still ranting! So time for a little snack then on to bed. I flagged the link so I can go back to it tomorrow for another 'Dose of Dan' !! LOL I kinda like that term too - dose of dan -- just what I need when I'm tired & some reflective quips will pick me up! (No, you can't pick me up...but what you write sure does! LOLSM!!)
    Aren't we glad the GW saves posts??!?

nighty night!!
    ~Cindy

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Bev, I do apologize, it does say mother. I like the idea of the hearts being a connection to her, with my father it's pansies. Your block was perfect and exactly what we do.."S"

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Linda,
    I love pansies. Can I ask what the connection is with your dad? And what does the "S" stand for?

Bev

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"S"..stand for "smile" and pansies were my Dad's favorite flower. I make sure i have some planted each year when I do my gardens..."S"

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, I received your block today! The four blue middle blocks remind me of water for all of those dragonflies in the four corners! NICE! Thank you!
    Where did you find 4 different types of dragonfly fabric?
    It's funny that you mention your dad liking pansies. My dad has to have them in his flowerbeds every year! He also likes pink roses, which I think is pretty cool. He's definitely one of those "old school" types, a do-it-yourself-er, tough-as-nails, know what I mean? Now that I think of it though, he's probably where I get the "teddy bear" tendencies, lol!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Dan, I got the dragonflies on ebay at an auction. The lady has butterflies, dragonflies, bumblebees and all kinds of things. She sends one square of each she has so there aren't any duplicates. I'm glad you liked it!

And yes, that's probably where you got those qualities!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I got a beautiful 9-patch block in the mail today from Linda. It will go great on my Grandma's quilt! :-) Dragonflies in the corners with a sun dial in the middle. It is just perfect for Grandma's quilt! Thank you bunches!! :-)

Am working on my cousin's baby quilt. Lots of teddy bears with a chocolate brown backing and 1 inch border. Just started quilting the layers together last night, and that is what I am working on this afternoon. Having a lazy day hand quilting. :-)

Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I received a lovely block from Sharon today. You always amaze me how you take a pattern and do something cool with it. It's done in blues and golds and she also sent seeds!

I posted the new Seed n Stitches for April if anyone would like to check it out! Jump right in and sign up!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let's see who's posted what, shall we?
    dan_the_mailman sends to lindaruzicka, gmom, bev2009 SENT
    quiltingfox sends to quiltpartner, nottougly, gmom SENT
    bev2009 sends to quiltpartner, lindaruzicka, chrizty SENT
    quiltpartner sends to Dan, nottougly, quiltingfox SENT
    nottougly sends to chrizty, bev2009, gmom
    lindaruzicka sends to Dan, chrizty, quiltingfox SENT
    chrizty sends to nottougly, bev2009, quiltingfox SENT
    gmom sends to Dan, lindaruzicka, quiltpartner SENT

Chrizty, how're you doing over there in the corner? Someone go check on her, will you? I know she's been working a lot of hours, and is probably sleeping, or trying to catch up on her sleep.

Everyone have a Wonderful Weekend! I get to do some carpentry indoors and outdoors (if the weather holds), and maybe plant some peas. AND, I've got two, count'em, two days off!!!

Can I get an amen?

HUGAS!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received a great-looking 9-patch within a 9-patch quilt block from Sharon today! It's beautiful! Even my roomie, who is usually a bit ho-hum about anything to do with sewing had some great things to say about it. Now, that's what I call impressive!
    THANK YOU SHARON!!!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

and what gets me is that Sharon was sick!!!!

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    So sorry I couldnt check in. I had puter proublems, and had to restore it :( still dont know what was wrong.
    I was still working alot, but boss said this week no more overtime!!! Im glad about that! overtimes nice now n then but Im woopped!
    My blocks are in the mail, I had to get bubble envys. all I had was the flat kind.. hope yens get them soon!
    I got Faye's, Linda's and Bev's blocks they are all so beauitful!!! and some wonderful seeds!! thank yens all so much!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Glad to see you back online Christy! :-) Got my beautiful block from Christy, will try to post a pic later. :-) Off to cut strips for my mom's canning jar lap quilt. It is already in the 80's here temp-wise. We are getting hot weather rather early this year.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, all the blocks are in the mail, and we've already seen some arriving. That's great! Keep posting when you receive your blocks please!
    -Dan

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Sorry for not following up, Dan. I wanted to take a picture and post, but that hasn't happen yet. I took the picture the other day, down loaded to the computer today, so maybe tomorrow I'll get it posted! (But I did work 2 hours in the garden and worked on a quilt I started piecing about 30 years ago. A lot of the fabric is from clothes I made for myself in high school and others I sewed for. It is really special to me so I can't wait to get it finished.)

I received from Dan and Faye. They are both lovely. I like the Monetish green fabric Dan and the cute roosters Faye.

Thanks! Bev

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    All the blocks should be arriving to their destination any day now. Hope they are well liked. Thanks Dan, any day.
    I have recieved all 3 of my blocks and have homes for them. Thanks to Dan, Sandra, and Faye. Also thanks for the seed.
    I enjoy this so much.
    What quilting magazines do you get or read. I go to the library and read any quilting magazine they have. I also put out the word that I needed magazines so when my friends are done with them they are given to me. I don't know which are my favorates.
    Have a great evening.
    Dan are you ready for our storm? I'm not. I was hoping winter was over, but I guess nobody told mother nature.

gmom

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Hopefully here are pictures of the three blocks I received. Yes, Christy, I got yours today and it is lovely, thanks.
    Dan's if the first, Christy's second and Faye's third.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Here are pics of the beautiful blocks I got for the March Swap:

From Christy:
    {{gwi:1249491}}

From Cindy:
    {{gwi:1249493}}

From Linda:
    {{gwi:1249495}}

These blocks are gonna' look great on my grandma's quilt. Thank you bunches!! :-)

Sandra

• chrizty
    13 years ago

They look great!! Ill get pics soon as I get new battiers for the cam.
    I ment to add a note in mine that said I hope your grass gross green n your flowers florish lol I forgot.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay Gang, we're almost there. I just went through the posts to see who has received their blocks, and this is the list I've come up with of people who still need to receive their block(s). Please let me know if I've missed something, will you? I'm not exactly working at 100% here. Anyway, here's what I've got...
    Dan receives from quiltpartner/Cindy
    Faye/Nottougly receives from chrizty, quiltingfox, quiltpartner
    Quiltpartner receives from Sharon/gmom and Bev

I'll be e-mailing Faye and Cindy here in a few moments to see how things are going with them. Have yourselves a good night and a great Sunday!
    -Dan

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I mailed my block to Faye the week of March 7th so she should have it by now.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think all the blocks have been mailed by now Sandra, but we all need to remember to post that we've received them when they arrive, hopefully with either pictures or a description. That way we all know that they aren't wandering around somewhere within the mail, which does happen from time to time. Cindy's mailed mine out with the others, I'm sure, but it hasn't arrived yet. As soon as it gets here, I'll post about it, letting her know it's here. When I send out blocks I start looking for postings that they've arrived. Until I see those posts, I'm left wondering, know what I mean? This is probably something we all start thinking about, making sure those arrival posts are done in a timely manner, y'know?

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Yes things do get lost in the mail from time to time. Guess I am just a little anxious and hoping my block made it to Faye's house. Am working on my April blocks today. Really enjoying the patterns Linda picked out for us. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Yes I did receive all 3 of my blocks.
    They are all beautiful and I love them.
    I have been so busy with mom's final stuff I have not had time to post.
    I can not wait to get enough blocks to make a quilt and use mom's quilting frames.
    Thanks to everyone with your understanding.
    Thanks,
    Faye!

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I have recieved all 3 of my blocks. They are great.
    Thanks to you all.

Happy Sewing
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In her last post, Cindy said she'd received her 3 blocks. I missed it because it was at the end of her post and I didn't notice it. So, the only block missing is the one Cindy sent to me. Everyone else has received their blocks, so I'm going ahead and banging the gavel on this one. Thanks Everyone!
    -Dan
    ===========================================================
    THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED
    ===========================================================

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy/quiltpartner's block went astray in the mail (I've seen that happen plenty of times to mail). After waiting to see if it would eventually arrive, she re-mailed a package to me. I was only hoping for one quilt block, but instead, Cindy mailed out 2! And they are fantastic! Each is a 9-patch block, with smaller 9-patch blocks inside the pattern. One screams Spring, and the other suggests Autumn, so I will be pairing them together in the quilt I eventually make from the blocks received from my friends here in Seeds-n-Stitches.
    CINDY, THANK YOU!! And you don't have to wait for an excuse to come visit, you're not that far away now that better weather is arriving...lol!
    -Dan