Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: Seeds & Stitches, March Quilt Block Swap

Posted by dan_the_mailman Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 19:19

EasterBunniesNew Pictures, Images and Photos

Hello, and welcome to the March Quilt Block Swap! You can still get in on Beth's swap by sending her quilt blocks by March 5th. Just look for her thread and join in. I'm posting this a bit early so I can post the general rules to let people begin to get ready if they so wish. If you'd like to participate in this swap, please send me an e-mail with your name, garden web name, and e-mail address. That way I can keep track of who needs my address so you can send your quilt blocks here to be swapped.

You may send in anywhere between 1 to 12 quilt blocks, the pattern and color of your choice. However many you send in will be the number of blocks you receive in return.
Each block should be 12.5" by 12.5".
Please attach your name to each block you send in. The recipients may wish to thank you personally.
Any and all who wish to join (over the age of 18) are welcome to join in.
Please have your quilt blocks to me no later than April 2.
Please include with your blocks a return address label, and postage. If you'd like, you can go to www.usps.com and print off a return label to include.
I will try to post pictures of the blocks as they come in.

And, I think that's about it for guidelines. If anyone has any questions, please post them here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Peace.
-Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Seeds & Stitches, March Quilt Block Swap

DAn, I love the Bunny Block.
I'm in for 6 though I may do more.
I try to make two of each so I send one and keep one.
Think I'll go all out with springy or Easterish colors for this one.. It'll make a nice table runner.
BB

o

I like that bunny block too! Now I'm going to have to go to JoAnn's and see if they've got the Easter stuff out so I can make something close to it! I found the picture on photobucket.

o

hello
I'm in, I don't know how many blocks I will be making but I will let you know when I do.
thanks
michelle

o

I'm in, Dan. Just give me a few days to get my brain together, and I'll let you know how many blocks I plan on making. Probably the same as last month, but I want to be sure I can.

o

I"m in, I'm in! "jumping up and down"...I'm going for 12 again. I'm not sure what yet though.

o

Me too, me too please!!! Think I can do 12...yep, I think so. :)

Dee

o

Just hopped in to say I like the bunny block that you posted, Dan, and I like the name of the group also. I think it's good we got "seeds" in there or the garden forum might decide we don't belong here... LOL
I will be skipping this time but sure will be back to do more swaps later on.
It's so nice to share quilt blocks with our gardening friends!
Jeanne

o

I was reading about the other swap and wishing I could join in to it. I would love to be a part of this one. I can make 12 and would need to know where to send them. I am so looking forward to this. Thanks. Penni

o

Penni, welcome! Just shoot me an e-mail with the info I asked for, and I'll be sending everyone my address in another week or two.

I went to JoAnn's today, hoping I could find that bunny block or something similar, but no luck. I did find some other material though, of course! LOL! Seeds, fabric, I wonder if we could find some fabric seeds? Now, wouldn't THAT be cool?

Peace.
-Dan

o

could I trade someone seeds or baby lily bulbs for a block, I wanna sample so I can learn how to make them. help please. carol

o

Sorry, Carol. This swap is for trading quilt blocks for quilt blocks. I'm posting a website here you can check out though to get you started. It's a good one for beginners and experts alike.

In Beth's swap, which is still ongoing, some people sent in seeds and some didn't. If anyone would like to send seeds with their quilt blocks, I'll do some swapping between whoever sends in seeds. Seeds will be optional for you all, okay?

Penni, I received your e-mail and sent you my address. Anyone else need it? If so, send me an e-mail and I'll get it out to you.

Everyone have a great day!

Peace.
-Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Make Quilts

o

I love this quilt swap idea. I even went out and bought myself a rotary cutter and mat. I don't know if I will get my squares done for this swap but I am excited to participate in the future. I think you all keep me busier than my
kids :o)
Heidi

o

Carol, the websites are very helpful and easy. If I can make a block, you can too! check it out!

o

CArol. I'm sending you one today. Hang in there.
Beth

o

Dan, is there any kind of theme for these blocks or anything goes? Penni

o

No theme on this one Penni, you pick the pattern and you pick the color scheme.

Carol, did that website help you any? Here's another website to check out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideas for Quilting

o

I hate to be pesty, but should all the blocks be the same or a variety? Sorry, but I want to get it right. I would like to be invited again for another swap!! Thanks, Penni

o

LOL! Penni, I love your enthusiasm, and all your questions! When I was a teacher long ago, I always told my students to never be afraid to ask questions because there was always someone else who wanted the same answers. Now, on to your question, you can either make all your blocks the same, or they can be a variety. It's all up to you. When I host a swap, whether it's for plants or quilt blocks, I like variety and surprises, so I try to make as few rules or guidelines as possible. I am a stickler for the ones I do make, as others around here can attest to, but basically they're just so we can all get done what we need to get done, and have a lot of fun swapping.
So, in regards to the quilt blocks...
You can send in between 1 to 12 blocks.
They can all be the same or a variety.
Any pattern is okay.
Any color is scheme is fine.
Just make sure they're all a 12.5" by 12.5" square.
Simply send in something like you would like to receive, and you'll be fine.

Peace.
-Dan

o

Thanks very much, if I have any more questions, I will simply ask. Now I have to get into my sewing room and get busy... Penni

o

I'm in.

I'm planning on 12 but it depends on the block that I choose.

This has me motavated. Today I made a quilt for Lutheran World Relief. Next Thursday I will be going to a quilting bee to tie more quilts for LWR. Never been to a quilting bee before. This woman has over 30 quilts made that need tieing.

Have a good day everyone.
gmom

o

Hi gmom! How have you been?

o

Quick question, just want everyone's opinion!
I have several blocks that have been sitting around for about 2 years now (made them for a project that I didn't get around to completing!)....would those be OK to send? They're fine, nothing wrong with them at all. I just know I'll never use them in anything, but they're nice pretty spring colors, so they'd be good for this swap, I think.
I just wondered if anyone would mind that they weren't made ESPECIALLY for this swap?

o

I don't think anyone would mind, I certainly don't! That would be like.."gee, I have material cut out in squares but I cut them last year"..LOL...just my opinion!

o

Hi to everyone,

Linda- I'm fine but cold. I do wish spring would get here. I'm sick and tired of this snow. The weather is like it was back in January. I like the sun even if it is only in the 30's. My favorite things to do is Logging and quilting at this time of year, and quilting and gardening the rest.

Hazelnut-If you hadn't ask that question nobody would have known when you made them. I wouldn't mind. As long is it was made by you.

I'm on my way to make Rubarb Pineapple cobbler for dinner. Anyone want some? I'll send it right over.

Gotta go.
gmom

o

Gmom & Linda~ I thought about that. LOL But I just wanted to ask. I didn't want to feel deceptive. I know no one would've known...but I would have. I was bawled out in a swap a few years ago when I sent someone something I found in a flea market. They didn't want "used" stuff. Kinda silly, huh?
I guess I wanted to make sure this wasn't considered the same thing?

Rhubarb pineapple? I've never heard of that combination. Sounds yummy, though! Slap some vanilla bean ice cream on a steaming bowl of it for me, would ya? :o)

o

Bunny, I'm with the others on this one. As long as they were made by you, I don't think it should matter when they were made. Send'em in, and we'll find homes/uses for them!
On another note, I'm really having to keep telling myself Spring is only 3 weeks away today! The wind has been howlin, literally, for the past 2 days, whipping the snow around and completely redecorating the landscape! It's "brrr chilly" outside!

I think I'll go mix up some hot chocolate and relax for the evening!

Peace.
-Dan

o

~Lurking~
It's been a few years since I've quilted, but I've wanted to get back into it.

If your Walmart has a fabric department,they often have free patterns for you to take. Georgia Bonesteel, Eleanor Burns and the Thimbleberry Books are some of my favorites.

o

Hey there Becky! Grab some fabric and join us! I've always liked the fabric department at walmart, it's not expensive, and there are a lot of great choices to be made. This past year our local store put in a food department, and for some strange reason, took out the fabric department. I don't understand why, it was always busy. And you're right, those free patterns always helped too.

Everyone have a great, safe, warm weekend!

Peace.
-Dan

o

COUNT ME IN!!!I`ll send 12 blocks!!

o

Robin, Welcome! I just sent you an e-mail with my address, let me know if you don't get it. And on that note, who else still needs my address?

o

I posted earlier, but guess it is lost! I need your addy, I am definitely in! May not do 12 but should be able to, hope to anyway! Have a wonderful Sunday all! Melinda

o

Hi Melinda! I just sent you my address. It's great to have you in another swap!

===========================================================
Let's take a moment and list all the players we have so far, shall we? There's...
dan_the_mailman (me)
beth_b_kodiak (Beth)
micrey (Michelle)
hazelnutbunny (Melissa)
lindaruzicka (Linda)
faintheart (Dee)
pennijanine (Penni)
gmom2-6boys (gmom)
robin1962-2008 (Robin)
ilovfarac (Melinda)
That's a whole-lotta-sewing-goin'-on!!! LOL!
We also have lurkers, roaming through their fabric stashes, pondering if they should or shouldn't, so we'll give them some more time to decide if they want to play or not... I'm hoping they do!

JUST A REMINDER: You do not have to send in 12 quilt blocks to play. Sending in 1 would be fine. The number 12 is simply the upper limit, which we need so someone doesn't send in 187 quilt blocks, expecting to get 187 different ones in return. That would swamp the host(me) and the swap. I've seen this happen at perennial exchanges before, and it only causes problems. So, if you want to play, ANY NUMBER OF QUILT BLOCKS, UP TO 12, IS OKAY. lol!

I've been trying to think of a game we could play, other than Bingo, which would give everyone the same chances to win. I would like to have 2 winners, and each one would receive an extra quilt block in their return package. Any ideas? The best I can think of would be to have a drawing on April 2nd, placing everyone's name in a hat and letting my roommate draw out two names. Can anyone think of a different game? If so, please let me know. Thanks!

And, I think that's about all that I have for now. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Peace.
-Dan

o

well, we could always guess what pattern and color your quilt blocks are going to be....

o

hmmm, I like that idea. I could have you all guess the color on one, and the pattern on the second one, or you could guess both on both, which would really make things interesting, wouldn't it? hehehe I've got an unexpected day off today, and would like to do some sewing, so let me see what I come up with, and then I'll post the games. we'll do one at a time, and I'll post pix of the quilt blocks when there's a winner. good idea Linda!

o

well, we really never know what ot expect from you, do we?

o

like Dorian Gray says in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... I'm complicated. hehehe

o

NEW GAME...NEW GAME...NEW GAME...NEW GAME
Hmmm, did that get your attention? Okay, good. I am going to give you all the chance to win one of two quilt blocks by guessing the color AND pattern I used to make it. All players are limited to two (2) guesses per day. The first person to post the correct color and pattern will win the block, and I will send it to them with their return package. Once the first block has been awarded, then we will play again for the second block.
So, start guessing! hehehe (and no, I won't give any hints, so don't ask)

Peace.
-Dan

o

hmmm...like I know quilt patterns..."quickly pulling some up online".."L"..okay how about blue for the color and Twist for the pattern..."crossing fingers"

o

ok ok....I am gonna guess green for color and Friendship Star for the pattern. no hints??? not even one little vague one? *sheesh* :)

Dee

o

All I'm going to say this morning is that one of you was half right...

o

hello
I forgot to ask if appliqut' is ok? it would have been better to ask before cut out the pieces, ironed them on and started stiching. I have started 8 blocks but I don't know how many I will get stitched, all are a little diffrent. HINT: you all have them in your garden.
michelle

o

ohhh...appliqut...works for me! If I see one maybe I can do one!

o

Blue & antique tile?

o

applique is fine by me. like Linda says, maybe I'll do one if I see one...

as for the guesses, two of the three people who have guessed are half right.

and the beat goes on.....

o

Dan I have done six. I'm calling them nine patch with funky frogs and black sashing.
How's that for a combo?
I'm going to try an applique too but may not do many.... may not actually finish any. We'll see.

o

new guesses....blue "braid" or for my second guess today blue "paper pinwheels"

I've got 4 blocks done so far...all different.

off to cut a few more before Idol comes on. anyone else watch?
Dee :)

o

DEE WINS!!! I've been wanting to try out the braid pattern, so that's what I did yesterday. I used strips that were 3"x7", and came up with this...
blue braid pattern

I'll be using this pattern more, most definitely! It's a real easy one to use, and looks great! And Dee, this one is all yours! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We'll start a new guessing game for the 2nd block on Saturday morning, so, stay tuned!

Peace.
-Dan

o

OH MY GOODNESS! It's beautiful, Dan! I am sooooooo excited...thank you!!! :)))

back to the cutting mat...
Dee

o

I have 6 finished that I'll be mailing out tomorrow, Dan.
I wanted to make more, but something has come up & I won't have the time I thought I might.

The blocks that I was thinking of sending (the ones I already had finished?) are too big. They are 14" blocks, so they won't work. No clue what I"ll do with them, but OH WELL. :o) That's the way it goes, sometimes!
Thanks for being so understanding about that, BTW.

o

Wow! I like that block dan!

o

Thanks Linda! Like I told you on facebook, it's even easier to do than it looks, and it really looks like a lot of hard work, doesn't it? LOL!

Melissa, I'll be looking for those quilt blocks in the mail. If you'd like to send in those 14" blocks, go ahead. They can be resized if needed, and a little extra never hurt, eh? Whatever you decide to do will be just fine. As for whatever came up, don't let it get the best of you. If there's anything I can do to help out, just let me know. That's what I'm here for. In the meantime, here are a few hugs to keep you going! (((BEAR HUGS)))

Don't forget everyone, I'll be starting a new guessing game Saturday morning, so make sure you tune in and take your best guesses and try to win that second quilt block! Good Luck!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Thanks, Dan. I definitely needed the hugs this morning. First I've had all week! ((HUGS)) back at ya.

My blocks are on their way, but I forgot to pin my name on them. Ugh. My mind is much more scatterbrained than usual lately. I'd blame it on hormones & kids, but I think that's only part of the problem. lol

One really goofy thing I did this morning was putting "Hats" down in the mailing address. (d'oh!) Silly me knew that the name had something to do with something wearable...I guess it's just good that I didn't put "Thong" down, huh?

SIGH....off for my nap now. I think I need one.

o

rofl...ohmigod!!! thong??? now, THAT would've been a subject of conversation at the office for awhile! I'm glad you didn't do that one!
for some reason, I feel like I dodged a bullet...wonder why? ***still chuckling***

o

Dodged a bullet...dodged a speedo....
It's all the same, eh?? :O)

o

sometimes... you silly thing. :()

Don't forget, tomorrow morning you can start guessing about the color and pattern of the next block I'm offerring up for grabs. Any guesses made BEFORE 12:01am will not be acknowledged, but you can start guessing any time after that. LOL! I'm going to sleep in (or at least try to). Remember, you must get the color and pattern correct to win the new quilt block. You may make 2 guesses each day, and each of you may ask one question during this game. Just remember, once you've asked your question, you may not ask another one. However, you may make two guesses as to the color and pattern each day until it is awarded. I will NOT answer questions like 'What is the color?' or 'What pattern is it?'. What would be the point of that?

have fun!

if you need my address so you can send in your quilt blocks, let me know.

Peace.
-Dan

o

let the guessing begin!...

o

OK??? What shall I guess???

Pink and Purple in log cabin.

I want to remind everbody I will be hosting next month.

Have a great SUNNY afternoon, everyone!!!!!!

gmom

o

hmmm...green and Mosaic...

o

Brown & friendship star.

o

nope, nope, and nope

keep trying...lol!

o

Blue and magic cross. An all blue quilt with different blocks would look cool! Melinda

o

Yellow and Basket weave

gmom

o

yellow & whack n stack

o

question from a newbie.. Is these supposed to be sewed together or are they just fabric cut out to be sew up later? Just asking question on the March Quilt block swap

o

Mikey, each block is supposed to be 12.5" by 12.5", and yes, it should be sewn together. the due date isn't until April 2nd, which is when all the blocks should be here at my house so I can redistribute them. would you like to join?

as for the guessing game, one of you three guessers is half-right... but I'm not saying who!!! ((wolfish grin))
good luck tomorrow!

Peace.
-Dan

o

My guess today would be blue and another braid!
Melinda

o

And your guess would be half-right! It's not another braid... lol! Care to guess again, or use your question? It's funny that no one has asked their question yet...

keep trying!

o

blue and nine patch...

is it one that you've mentioned doing?

o

Blue & pinwheels.

Is it a star pattern?

o

Blue and Amish Diamond? Does the block pattern come from the block site you mentioned before?

gmom

o

First, the answers to your questions. The main color is blue. I don't think I've mentioned doing this pattern before, it's not a star pattern, and there is a variation of this pattern at quilterscache.com. If this goes over a week, you three can ask another question. Keep guessing!

Melissa's quilt blocks arrived today, and they're great! I took some pictures. Melissa sent 2 of the these...
Photobucket

and four of these...
Photobucket

Aren't they beautiful?

Remember, you all have about 3 weeks to get your quilt blocks in the mail so they'll be here by April 2nd.

Melissa, who is Mr. Hat-and-Coates? LOL!!! That was funny! Thanks for the giggle!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Oh, glad they arrived! I was worried that since my priority boxes take a week that first class would take 2 weeks!

I added " and Coates" after I goofed and put Hats on the envie....I thought I'd better at least put Coates on there somewhere. :o) Glad my scatterbrained-ness gave you a giggle!

o

My second guess would be blue and austin block! Melinda

o

Hi all!

Am working on blocks tonight...then I get sidetracked. lol Not going to guess on Dan's second block as someone else should have one too!

Melissa, those blocks are so pretty! *giggling about Mr. Hats and Coates*

Dan...may I ask a couple of questions OT please? *not telling the why for ( as my kids used to say)* lol Could you post a pic of Bump and Stella? Also, are they "bird watchers"? Like sitting at the window peeking at them? I was going to say are they window peekers but thats a whole 'nother topic!!!

Curious Dee

o

My blocks will be in the mail in the morning. Can't wait to see what everyone has done!! Penni

o

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this swap this time. My work is really hectic. I'll be out of town for work at the end of the month. I'll keep lurking to see those blocks though!

Becky

o

So...Dee is asking if Bump is a Peeping Tom? LOL!
For shame, for shame....
I'm sure Dan has taught him better than that.
Unless, of course, there is a perty little siamese next door. Then who could blame him? There's just something about an exotic female that fellers can't resist...

o

Ok, time to guess again! I will go with blue color and Chevron block. Melinda

o

Dee, here is a somewhat recent picture of Bump and Stella on a tv tray. As you can see, they're big cats. Bump is the lion on the left, and Stella is the tigress on the right. Bump is pretty much full-grown, but Stella still has about another year of growth ahead of her.
Photobucket

Both of them like to sit in the window and watch the world go by, but that's as close as they get to the outside world. When birds are at the suet feeders just outside the office window, Stella makes little huffing noises, telling them what she'd like to saute them with, I think. lol!
When there are other cats roaming the yard, Bump and Stella will race from window to window, chasing them and keeping a watchful eye. When that happens, it's best to just sit or stand still, and let the furry storm pass. I'm sure Linda could tell you all about that, with her feline flock.

o

Stella is getting so big!

o
RE: new guess

how about blue and "Love in the Mist"

o

Thanks, Dan! Not having had any house cats since I was small, it's fun to see Bump and Stella. Bump is certainly a handsome gent and Stella is growing up to be so adorable!!! Too funny about Stella planning a menu! lol

C'mon all you block guessers! I am anxious to see what else Dan has created. :)

D

o

Blue & Puss in the corner?

o

I'll bet all of you guessers are wishing we'd established some boundaries when we began this game, eh? Keep guessing!

Dee, Bump is ever the gentleman, except for when he's rough-housing with Stella. Then it's like a little grey and brown hurricane running through the house! I've thought of tying brooms and scrub-brushes to their legs and tails, but if I did that, they'd probably just lay down for one of their many naps...lol!

Everyone have a great day!

Peace.
-Dan

o

I'll pick blue and ribbons!

o

blue & card trick?

o

okay, does tha pattern you're copying from have blue in it?

o

HINT: the patterns name has 3 words in it.

o

HAH! That was my next question!..LOL!

o

Blue & My Blue Heaven

o

hello
dan mine are ready to send but i need your address please
thanks
michelle

o

Michelle, I'm sending now. let me know if you don't get it.

o

I'm back. Been gone to another town for several days to get my eyes looked at by 3 specialist.
Now I can get back to business of guilting.

Dan, how many pieces in the block? Blue and All those squares?

o

Gmom! Excellent question! There are 12 pieces in this block.

o

Okay, last guess & then I give up. LOL

Blue & Friday the 13th.

o

I'm not ready to give up.

Is it the name of a star? Blue & Crazy Amish Quilt?

As I'm looking for the name of this block I'm finding a lot of block that I want to try. My list of blocks is getting longer and longer. I find doing the blocks a real challange.

I will be hosting the nest block and I think it will be an applique. Rules will be like Dans. Very few. If you have never done it before pick something very simple. More the last week of March. Just wanted to give you heads up.

Hope we can keep this going.

gmom

o

Nope, no stars. It does have a lot of right angles in it though.

o

Blue and Four Patch Chain!

o

this one is taking a lot longer than the first one, what's up with that? hehehe

okay, ready for another hint? the first letter of each word in the name of this block is in descending order. here's an example... (Y)ou're (G)oing (C)razy. the letters Y, G, and C are in alphabetical descending order.

now, think back and re-read EVERYTHING I've said about this block, and happy guessing!

I just took a look at the calendar, and it's only 3 weeks until I hope to be sending everyone their quilt blocks. How is everyone coming along?

Peace.
-Dan

o

I"m glad that the rotary cutter comes with a self seal mat..ROTF! I've been going every which way trying to get the hang of it. Good thing I have lots of practice material!

o
RE:quess

today's guess:..St. Gregory's Cross..if it isn't it, it's a REALLY pretty block!.."L"

o

I will guess the Road to California.
Yes Linda, it is fun learning new things isn't it!!
Have a great afternoon all! Melinda

o

Penni! Your blocks arrived today, and they are gorgeous! I'll try to take some pix tomorrow and post them for everyone to see.

Here's our current list of players, and who I've received from...
dan_the_mailman (me)
beth_b_kodiak (Beth) received
micrey (Michelle)
hazelnutbunny (Melissa)
lindaruzicka (Linda)
faintheart (Dee)
pennijanine (Penni) received
gmom2-6boys (gmom)
robin1962-2008 (Robin)
ilovfarac (Melinda)

For the rest of you, and any lurkers who might join us, it would be great to get all the blocks here by April 2nd so I can mail them out that weekend.

And, on that thought, I believe I'm going to call it a night. Oh! Before I forget! For all of you who are attempting to guess the name of this quilt block, the number of letters in each word of the pattern name are 5-4-5. If no one guesses it before then, we'll start playing a bit of hangman on Monday morning.

Don't forget to change your clocks tonight!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Dan, Those are the first 12 inch blocks that I have ever made! I think I am hooked on them for awhile, just finished up another twelve for another swap. Thanks for letting me know that they arrived, can't wait to see what everyone else has made. Penni

o

Ok, I'll guess Santa Face Block done in blue! How's that for a guess! LOL!
Melinda

o

I hope it's okay to guess even if I am not signed up this month. I have been following along and this one had me so stumped I had to keep looking...
Dan, is it a blue Split Rail Fence block?
Jeanne

o
RE: NEW: March Quilt Block Swap

Dan,
If I need to sign up to participate now that I guessed, I will. LOL Can likely only make two blocks like I did when Beth was hostess.
(Sorry all... this contest was just getting the better of me, so I kept thinking and thinking... I'd better not think too much because I am thinking I may still be wrong!)
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, it IS a blue split rail fence quilt block! Congratulations! Do you need my address to send in your quilt blocks? As I've said from the beginning, however many you send in will be just fine.

Whew! ***wiping sweat from brow*** I think we'll take a break from the games for awhile so you all can work on your sewing...lol!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Dan, I did not send you any blocks yet for your new swap.
I thought about including the six in when I sent your exchange blocks but decided not. Figured if I waited I'd do some more.
I'm off track a bit as I started a project for the Quilts of Valor program. And I'm working on some Easter stuff and a BD quilt for the GGD. It's for a doll bed but I'm hand quilting so.....
BTW has anyone else hired a Long Arm Quilter? I think I may do that for my Heirloom quilt but still debating.
BB

o

Way to go Jeanne! Still working slowly on mine! Will have them out in a week or so, hopefully!
Have a great Sunday all! Melinda

o

Oh Dan! You forgot me! You've got my blocks! LOL!
Wow, guess they were really memorable, huh? :P

o

what is a long arm quilter? I have quilting frame that I got from Freecycle. It's HUGE! Must be 6 ft or more long..LOL! I have a top that my grandmother had almost finsihed (hand quilting) and the only way I want to finish it is by hand. Guess that will be next winter's project!

"throwing confetti on Jeanne"..YOu GO, girl!!

o

Well, that's what I get for trying to figure things out when I'm tired...lol! AND that's why it's nice to be able to rely on you all to set me straight! LOL!! So, here's the new, revised list of players and who I've received blocks from...
Here's our current list of players, and who I've received from...
dan_the_mailman (me)
beth_b_kodiak (Beth)
micrey (Michelle)
hazelnutbunny (Melissa) received
lindaruzicka (Linda)
faintheart (Dee)
pennijanine (Penni) received
gmom2-6boys (gmom)
robin1962-2008 (Robin)
ilovfarac (Melinda)
sandlapperrose (Jeanne)

Melissa, forgive me???

o

Ohhhh, I suppose so.... :P
You can make it up to me by including a giant bar of chocolate along with my blocks.... LOL!

o

Hi everyone,I`m just checking in.I have to leave again Tues.to stay with my Mom but I`ll be working on my blocks and I`ll get them to Dan by April 2.I can`t wait to see what we get back !!HAPPY QUILTING !! Robin

o

Robin, have a safe trip!

Peace.
-Dan

o

Some of you know that I love old magazines. Yesterday I was looking through a Crafts magazine from 1987 and found an ad that had me shaking my head.

A "sewers cutting kit" that included A "large rotary wheel cutter, 8 x24 inch cutting mat and a 6 x 24 inch ruler."
picture shows equipment that looks about like what I use and is seen in stores today.
Anybody want to guess the price for the kit and instruction booklet??????
I'll offer an extra block as a prize to the person who comes closest between now and Thursday.
BB

o

Hmmm....From 1987? I'll guess $6.99. Of course, I was just a pre-teen back then, so the only things I remember buying were candy & pop! LOL!

o

Congrats Jeanne on your win! :)

Been working on my blocks and want to do a few more before mailing as there is some time yet.

Yes, Beth. I am having my last big wall quilt done by a long-arm pro. It would be just too bulky for my little sewing machine and would be next century before I got it done by hand! lol I think you will find most LA quilters have a "waiting list", especially this time of year with graduations and wedding season coming. Ask around at your local fabric shops for a local. There are LAQ's that also advertise via the net.

Linda, a long arm quilter uses a specially built quilting machine and frame to do the quilting. The three layers (top, batting and backing) are placed in the frame and the machine is moved around the quilt to do the stitching. Some of the very spendy long arm machines can be programmed rather than the operator controlling the pattern. The options of quilt stitch patterns are beautiful. If you google it, you might get a better idea.

I think 1987 was about the year I got my first mat, ruler and rotary cutter as a gift. Hmmmmm...mine were bigger. I will guess 39.99. I think they were more expensive back then.

back to work on a project...
Dee

o

I guess I will say 4.99. That seems a good price to me for then! Melinda

o

I"ll say $19.99

o

Hmmm, Beth, I'm going to guess $7.39. ***Welcome to the Price Is Right!*** This'll make a fun game, but what's in the Showcase Showdown? Thanks for the chuckle, it's been a long day...

Peace.
-Dan

o

I'll guess $29.95 for the cutting supplies. I know I paid way more than that for my supplies that I got maybe 5 years after that, so we will see. I think my cutting mat alone was $25-33. Hmmmm... rotary cutter about $11, ruler around $15. The good news is that all of those things last a long, long time. Of course, you do have to replace the blades on the cutter and I get nicks in my ruler from time to time, but relatively long lasting. I did finally have to replace my cutting mat. I think I am now on the third one.
It makes a difference sometimes whether you are buying from one of the chain craft stores with a coupon or if you are buying it at full price from a quilt store, so I will be curious to see the answer.
Jeanne

o

Linda, is that just 3 easy payments of $19.99? LOL!
My mom responded to an ad like that once, for a doll or some such thing. It was pretty messed up, though. Every time she sent in a payment, she got a doll! They even refunded her payment once, so she ended up getting around 5 dolls & only paying 3 or 4 payments. She called to beg them to quit sending the dolls, she only wanted ONE. They apologized, refunded her payment AGAIN, and sent yet another doll!
That was the end of her doll collecting hobby.

I think they became Christmas presents.... LOL ...

o

Bunny, how did you guess?..LOL! That's a funny story too!

I was outside today cleaning out my garden beds..what a wonderful day! Then I went shopping, bought 2 pairs of shoes and a blouse. Sara came over and we went for a walk..all in all..a very pleasant day indeed!

o

Nope, no gimicks and no mail order. It's by Dritz and says
Look for this in your local fabric and craft stores.
I have not bought anything but replacement blades in about 6 years and when I went to get a "set" for my daughter's BD. The prices shocked me.
Some real good guesses here.
Anyone else want to guess?

o

I am ready to mail my blocks but need to ask this first - is this swap for blocks and seeds or only blocks? I don't need seeds so I am not asking that to be able to receive some, I just don't want to send without seeds if they are supposed to be included. Thanks!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, this swap is more about trading quilt blocks than seeds, but, if you or anyone else wish to send seeds along with your quilt blocks, I will distribute them amongst the group. Does that help?

o
seeds, seeds, and Linda

Here's a thought I just had while posting that last message. If seeds are sent in, I will post a list of them by the morning of the 3rd of April. On the 3rd, everyone will have a chance to take a look at the list, and then post a wish list of 3 kinds of seeds they'd like to receive, if any. Then, on the 4th, I will re-distribute the seeds amongst all the posters, using those lists. I will attempt to give everyone their first choice, but if I'm not able to do so, then I will go to their other choices and give them those. IF there not enough seeds for everyone to enjoy, then everyone will be allowed to pick one type of seeds they'd like to have, until the seeds are all spoken for. If anyone can think of a fairer way to find homes for any seeds sent in, please speak up now! We don't want any wandering seeds to go without a home now, do we?

Peace.
-Dan

p.s. I will be out of town for the next couple of days, until sometime Saturday. If anyone needs my address, please ask Linda for it. Thanks!

o

My blocks and seeds are on their way to you, Dan. Your plan for the seeds sounds fine to me.
We'll see you when you get back online!
Jeanne

o
Crafters Kit contest.

Dan is closest within 50 cents. Very good guess Dan.
Melissa was next being within 90 cents.
These two were also first in the contest for my swap and won prizes for sending their blocks first, pretty sharp folks here.
The price was $7.89 and just a wheel cutter now costs more than that.
BB

o

Wow, Beth! I can't believe that price....! Makes me wish for a time machine, just so I could go back & do some shopping!

o

home again, and exhausted. who knew that waiting 5 hours in a hospital waiting room could be so tiring? and those chairs are NOT made for comfort! while I was waiting for my roomie to get through his tests, I got a phone call from my mechanic, letting me know that the transmission in my car is indeed shot, and the bill will be just under $2000. thankfully, I've been able to save up that much, fearing the worst. I will have my car back either Tuesday or Wednesday. okay, enough of my griping tirade. I'll post again tomorrow in a better mood.
I did want to say though that Michelle's 8 blocks arrived today, and they are simply beautiful. It was like receiving a bouquet in the mail... thank you Michelle! Michelle appliqued flowers onto her blocks, and they've inspired me to try my hand at it sometime during this extended vacation.

as santa would say... peace to all, and to all a good night.

o

Dan, it would be wonderful if you could post some pics of blocks as they come in. Thanks, Penni

o

Dan,
My blocks will be on there way as soon as go to town, Monday or Tuesday. I will give you a post when I come home from town.
My block is also applique. I am also thinking of having our next block an applique if everyone would like to give it a try. It can be very sinple or complex as you like. I will post some web sites on applique for those who have never done it. I find that I am liking to do it also.
I hope your friends test come out ok.
It sure is a good thing you saved money for your car repair.
later
gmom

o

Hello Everyone. I wanted to take a minute and let you all know I'll get back to posting and taking pictures in another day or two. It's been an exhausting week-end, and I'm going to need some time to catch up on my sleep. Friday night I was up all night wrestling with insomnia (it gets worse as the summer progresses) and last night my mother went to the hospital thinking she was having a heart attack. She's back home now, safe and sound, but I've been in and out of the hospital since midnight. I'm going to take some advil pm and melatonin, hoping to get at least 6 hours of sleep. Luckily, I don't have to work tomorrow because the car is in the shop, so I can maybe do some more sleeping during the day.
I'll be back by Tuesday evening.

Peace.
-Dan

o

Hi everyone. I have not been near the sewing machine in a while. We were working on getting the shop ready for a fresh coat of paint and planning a short trip.
Today, Jack has all the signs of a cruddy cold so we took a day off and I played in the sewing room and tried to pamper him a bit. He generally grumbles about that but today, it was AOK.
Made a great new block, a 9 patch tulip that I just love. I'll be sending some for the swap.
Hope everyone has a good weekend and then a good week. Sounds like time for things to start looking up.
hugs to all
BB

o

Hi all. I didn't get to join (obviously) but my quilting skills are not really all that great. Triied it last month and it didn't turn out good. I will keep practicing and be in one soon though. I lost my internet for 2 weeks last month and wasn't able to post but I did let her know through email at work that I wouldn't be able to (couldn't get on here because they have pretty much all sites blocked)

Would love to see some photos of the quilt blocks.

(LOVE the bunny one at the top Dan)

o

** PLEASE GO TO THE NEW THREAD, SEEDS & STITCHES PART II **

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here