Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

New: March FOTESS Swap - Leapin' Leprechauns

sandlapper_rose
12 years ago

Just a reminder that you must be a member of FOTESS in order to join in on this swap. If you are interested in joining FOTESS, send an e-mail message to me or to Shirley.

Leapin' Leprechauns!

March is the month with St. Patrick's Day. Honoring the leprechauns, we are going to send miniature or wee things for our seeds this month. I am keeping it really simple. For this swap you will send either one full pack or two half-packs of seeds. Nothing else in terms of seeds, plants, or little gifts. Whatever you send as seeds must consist of a smaller version than usual. For example if you are sending runner beans, there is a small variety that can be grown in a container. If you are sending tomatoes, send cherry tomatoes instead of Beefsteak or send a type of tomato plant that can be grown in a container and won't take much space. There are mini-sized carrots, short zinnias, even miniature corn. There are miniaturized plants of all kinds these days! Flowers, fruits, veggies, and herbs are all fine. It can be the entire plant that grows smaller than the usual size or the flower, veggie, etc. can be smaller. You get the idea! You might want to check your partners want list and see if there is something special he or she is interested in. However, I admit, my want list is not at all up to date. I suspect many of us may be in the same boat with the many seed swaps that are going on right now.

The only other thing to include with your pack(s) of seeds is an Irish saying/Irish blessing for the person you are sending to - just write it or print it out and put it in the padded envelope along with your seeds. You can find many to choose from online by searching St. Patrick's Day or Irish blessings or Irish sayings.

No delivery confirmation is required this month.

So just those two things this month:

1. Seeds of something wee - one full pack or two half-packs (you might count a small number of seeds harvested from your garden as a half pack or if you simply want to buy two of something - keep 1/2 of each pack for yourself and send half to the person you mail to.)

2. The Irish Blessing for the person you send to - nothing fancy - just write it or type it and include it in the envelope.

Hers's a part that is for everyone in FOTESS whether you sign up for this month's swap or not. We always like to get to know each other a bit better on the forum so we would love it if you would post something this month about a situation where you were lucky. Sometimes we all get a bit of serendipity and something special happens or we get spared from some bad outcome. Call it luck, call it intuition, we all have those experiences from time to time.

Partners will be assigned by March 1.

Mail out by March 8th - that way your partner may receive his or her package by St. Patty's Day!

(Send earlier if you like...)

Yes, I know I an posting this early, but this will give you time to shop for seeds if necessary and hopefully get your envelope in time for March 17th.

Jeanne

Comments (128)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nebraska Blessing

(It's not an Irish blessing, but I had a creative moment.)

May your GPS know all the back and washed out roads-
    Dirt, gravel, paved and those with stone.
    May "The Interstate" (I-80) be clear of ice.
    May the visitor center volunteer be nice.
    As you go where the buffalo roam
    May you always have bars on your phone.
    If not, and believe me some areas are �dry�
    Stand on your car and hold your phone high.
    Avoid the cow pies, they�re not to eat.
    Nebraska-grown T-bones are a better treat.
    May your corn be strong and sweet.
    May the Huskers never be beat.
    May the sunset glow bring you close to God.
    May you never live in a house of sod.
    May your coneflowers blossom in lilac pure.
    May the coneflower roots be your herbal cure.
    May the Platte River flow and water your babies-
    Tulips, coreopsis, sunflowers, blanketflower and daisies.
    May the meadowlark sing and the goldenrod blossom.
    May your garden be free of rude, obnoxious opossums.
    Be ready to wave at everyone you see
    And may you enjoy your blooming sweet pea.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you're feeling better, booberry. I'll let you know when my package gets here. I haven't mailed yet. I decided I needed to buckle down and get my paperwork together for taxes. No fun, but you have to do it.

Very creative, xiangirl! Thanks for sharing.

I tried to gather the list of birthdays for our group members. Here are the birthdays that we have coming up in March.

March 2 - jaynine
    March 4 - farmergirl2009
    March 12 - robin1962-2008
    March 17 - domehome
    March 29 - sandlapper_rose

I will say that March is a very popular birthday month! I'll try to remember to post a happy birthday here on the thread for each of you.

I hope everyone is fine after yesterday (and early this morning) with the bad storms.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A big Leprechaun Thank You to Becky!

The package she sent to me arrived today and I have a really cute St. Patty's Day card, 4 packets of seeds (Micro Greens, Sunflower 'Elves Blend', Linaria 'Fairy Bouquet', and Bells of Ireland). I was thinking it would be nice to include Bells of Ireland in this swap but couldn't find any around here and didn't think to order them. We were on the same wave length. Yes, the fairies and elves can play with the leprechauns!
    My Irish Blessing is a beautiful brass plaque that says "A Hundred Thousand Welcomes" only in Irish. It's just beautiful and Becky, you went overboard in sending that, but I think it needs to go on my outside door and will be interesting for people guessing what it says as they wait for us to open the door. Love to keep people guessing!
    Your package is all packed up and ready to go. I should get into town to mail it tomorrow.
    Thanks again. I love what you sent.
    Have a very Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

So glad you got it and like it! A hundred thousand (your) welcomes!

Becky

• smitties
    12 years ago

With the swap partners posted within the activity of the game, I totally missed it. Jeanne said she would pick by March 1st so when I got on and saw someone had already received their package, I realized I had missed something. I sent an email to Suzanne explaining I am dog sitting and will be home on Sunday. I have most of what I need there so will be sending the envelope out in plenty of time.

Hope everyone makes it through the predicted bad weather hitting parts of our country again tomorrow. There are saying there will be bad storms here as well as the possibility of tornadoes. There is no basement here so have no idea what to do if the sirens do go off.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't worry, Margo, you have plenty of time. The mail out date is March 8th. Becky must have had my package sitting there ready to go! I haven't mailed to her yet, but hope to get it mailed out tomorrow as well as the prize to Alana.
    I hope the storms don't even show up. You mentioned basements and sirens, Margo. We don't have either around here. You head for an interior space without windows - maybe get under a strong table or a staircase or you hold pillows and other soft items all around you as a shield. There's not much else you can do. A tornado hit the town I live in quite a few years ago, but I was at work so I didn't experience it as it went through. Lots of damage though. I couldn't believe the damage I was seeing as I was driving home. Not knowing exactly where it hit, I took a chance on what I thought would be the better way home - I was driving right through the area where it hit an hour or so earlier. Luckily our home and things were just fine. It really hit hard about 6 miles from us.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday, Jaynine. I hope you have a wonderful day!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Jaynine! You and Dr. Seuss!! Awesome combo!:D

Have a great day!
    vina

• smitties
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Jaynine.

Jeanne, I do have a plan if needed. They have a bathroom that I can take cover in. I am not really worried but more concerned with the power going out and the dogs having issues during the storm. My daughter goes to college here at OSU and she is joining me for the rest of the weekend so that will be nice.

I lived in Kalamazoo, Michigan years ago and in 1980 experienced a tornado that went right over where I was working. By the way, it does sound like a freight train. Anyway, it went right through downtown and four people were killed. For a few weeks, I had to take the long way around the city because so much was closed off to traffic. We also had a couple flat tires due to nails from things that were destroyed and blown around. Quite frightening and an experience you never forget.

Stay safe all, Margo

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Happy, Happy Birthday, Janine! Hope you had a great day!
    Margo, that sounded really scary! Years ago, back in PA, we had a series of small tornados come thro our area. One came thro the community ball fields, which we had just left about 15-20 minutes before, after the kids ball games finished. That was scary. The tornados all went north and really did some damage in the county north of us.
    All we are getting here today is rain and wind. Hope that's all we get.
    Be safe, All.
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made it to the post office. Becky (swap) and Alana (prize), watch for mail.
    I just came in from winter sowing. I am almost out of milk jugs so I don't know what my total will be this year. Probably under 100. I am at 84 now. Maybe I can replant some of the things that have sprouted into pots and then reuse the jugs. I know our soil must be terrible and our tree roots must interfere with our plants because the things in containers look so much better than anything planted in the ground.
    Hope the storms miss everyone.
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Heidi, I am planning on sending your Leapin Leprechaun out on Monday. I do hope all is well.

Margo, be safe! I have never been in a hurricane or tornado to speak of, but have been in many earthquakes out here in California. I suppose the earthquakes do not phase me because I have experienced so many of them but the thought of a real and devastating wizard of oz moment does turn my stomach a bit. A little city with homes is alive and a moment later it is gone....just like that....gone.

Jaynine, a very Happy Birthday to you!! Cheers on your special day! Enjoy!

Happy weekend...be well, be safe and hopefully happy, wherever you may be.

Annie

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

HBD Janine!
    Vina, I have your lucky seeds and will try to mail them out early in the week.
    Alana

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Late to the party! Hope your celebrate all month long Janine!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmergirl2009 has a birthday today so we can just keep celebrating! Happy Birthday, Ellie. Have a wonderful day!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

And the birthday parties continue...
    Happy, Happy Birthday Ellie. Enjoy your special day!

Annie

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Ellie!
    Vina, I am mailing Monday.
    Alana

• smitties
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday to my friend Ellie, I hope you are having a wonderful and happy day. Margo

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the birthday greetings!
    Happy Birthday Ellie!

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday, Ellie!
    Hope your day was great!
    Shirley!

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Happy birthday! Hope you're celebrating all month long too!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLIE! :)

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Many blessings & plants a-sprouting/blooming for you March birthday gardeners in our group:
    - jaynine
    - farmergirl2009
    - robin1962-2008
    - domehome
    - sandlapper_rose

:o) Corrine

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

My prize came today. Thank you Jeanne! I have already made a dent in the minty green M&M's and I will be sharing the cute clover kitty stickers with Allie later this week.
    It was fun to win!
    Alana

• booberry85
    12 years ago

WhooHoo! Go my treats from Jeanne today! Erin Go Bragh! Oh that wasn't my Irish saying. I was distracted by the chocolate! Yes on a cute package of green M & M's it said "Erin Go Bragh" (Ireland forever). Also in the package is Plum Lemon Tomatoes seeds,Bush Basil and Dahlia Unwins Dwarf mix. I consider basil part of the "Holy Trinity" of spices. I've also always wanted to grow dahlias but have had a little fear of trying to grow them.

Jeanne also sent me a sweet Irish prayer:

May God give you...
    For every storm, a rainbow,
    For every tear, a smile,
    For every care, a promise,
    And a blessing in each trial.
    For every problem life sends,
    A faithful friend to share,
    For every sigh, a sweet song,
    And an answer for each prayer.

Thanks so much Jeanne!

12 years ago

What fun to read your posts.
    I haven't forgotten you, Ann. My printer gave out on me. Both cartridges went dry. I tried to refill them. No deal. Had to get 2 new ones. My daughter had her tooth surgery Fri and we were gone all weekend. So it's about ready to go out. I promise!
    Heidi

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

Here's a story of "luck"...

I was sleeping night before last, and about 3 in the morning I hear a loud CRASH...

The back door to my mobile (which is made out of aluminum thinner than that on a soda can, and covers a non-solid Styrofoam core. had wiggled in the wind enough for the wind to grab hold of the door, tear it loose, and slam it into my palm tree.

This of course startled me awake as you might imagine... I checked my watch and noted that it was about 3:30am... I quickly fixed the door, but started thinking about my 138 hot pepper seedlings that had been sitting on the picnic table... I QUICKLY ran around to the table, and was relieved to find that the house had shielded them from the wind... a few were knocked over, but all were still on the table, and only a couple had any damage... none were hurt too terribly bad. just a cotyledon here, and there.

I think 4 plants in total were damaged out of 138... could have been much MUCH worse.

On my way back to the front door, the little windmill I have by my (141) planted hot peppers pulled out of the ground and blew over just a few yards in front of me.

Needless to say, there were many things that could have gone worse this night.

Ken

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken,
    I'm so glad to hear you are okay and didn't have more damage. I had to laugh about you going out to check on your plants. We can all relate to that. We have had quite a bit of wind the past few days and I thought about tying my winter sowing jugs together so they wouldn't get blown around, but I never did. Thannkfully, they have been fine, but I totally understand. I have a windmill, too, so I hope your windmill is okay or can be repaired. My husband gave me the one I have as a birthday present one year and I really love it.
    Glad to have you come by to tell your story. A little luck goes a long way!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my, I got carried away in the wind (LOL) - I also meant to say that I'm happy you liked your swap, Becky, and you liked your prize, Alana. For whatever reason, I just love St. Patrick's Day - maybe it's because of the green!
    Heidi, I hope your daughter is doing well recovering from her tooth surgery. Dental issues love me - and I so do not love them!
    Okay... time to head up to bed. See everyone tomorrow.
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Heidi,

Your package did go out yesterday. I know you have not forgotten me...LOL! Send when it works for you!

Happy Day to all!

Annie

• smitties
    12 years ago

Suzannes package is going to be mailed first thing tomorrow morning. I just couldn't get to the post office today. Hope you enjoy it Suzanne. Margo

12 years ago

Ann,I received your package today and it is so much fun! I see we mailed each other's out the same day. I hope my pony express is as fast as your pony express was! She sent me a very sweet Irish Blessing that covered all the seasons and many fun, fun seeds--I think 12 kind! They all have green tags, too! Everything is on green paper, even the address label on the package. AND for luck she sent a fun green plant marker.
    As long as we're talking luck...I went to the park where I planted seeds last year and some are coming up! Everything is coming up around here and it's so early...but it was so fun to see those sprouting babies coming up. It brings HOPE to the rest of life!
    Thank you again Ann! I'm going to do the seed dance around the house all night!
    Heidi

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Heidi,

I am laughing like a Bohemian Leprechaun............
    The green thing is not a plant marker. It is a dibble, also known as a dibbler. I must say, it is a handy little tool in the garden. I use it to plant seeds (notice the ends of the dibble)....but mostly I use it to move little seedlings around. I do really like it...it is petite along with my large hands. Several months ago, a friend of mine gave me a wooden dibble that she had bought while in England. I had no clue what a dibble/dibbler was. We all learn something new everyday.....I tried to find/buy some wooden dibbles on the internet, but could only find plastic ones. Thus a green dibble for you.

I will post when I receive your send!

Enjoy!

Annie

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Those sound like some great GREEN goin' around...and I rec'd mine from Alana as well.

She sent me some wee creatures as well as some green.
    Helianthus: Jade
    Popping Corn: Cutie Pinks
    THE WORLDS SMALLEST GOURD (very intrigued by this one!)
    Celosia: Spring Green
    Imaptients: Dwarf Pink Baby

Super selections Alana!!! and my wonderful irish blessing was in a card with a 4 leaf clover pin. It's going on my sweater right now!

"May your path bloom with shamrocks,
    your heart ring with song,
    and your sky smile with sunshine
    this happy day long"

LOVE EVERYTHING!! THANK YOU SO MUCH ALANA!!
    Oh! and the shiny green bubble envie it arrived in was a nice touch :0)

Your bit o' green is being bagged up and goin' in the mail today :) Enjoy!!!

Talk to you later!
    vina

• smitties
    12 years ago

Received my package from Suzanne. Along with a laminated sheet containing several Irish blessing and/or sayings, she sent

seeds: magic carpet thyme, baby's breath, currant red cherry tomato, portulaca mix, and snow in the summer.
    Also included was a package of green post it notes with a frog on it and it says "jump on it!" Love post it notes. Much thanks to Suzanna.

Margo

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Received my package from Margo yesterday and in it was five tiny containers with flowers on the lid and each contained seeds of: pink baby's breath (on my wish list yea), Nasturium Dwarf Alaska, Phlox Dwarf Beauty Mix (on my wishlist), Muncher cucumber (on my wishlist)and viola Helen Mount. Margo also sent a mini magnet plaque, mini plastic seed envelopes, and a larger magnet plaque which
    says "may the road rise to meet you, may the wind be at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, may the rains fall softly upon your fields..." She also sent a card. I LOVE IT-THANK YOU MARGO

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for continuting to post. I went to visit my younger daughter and son-in-law for the weekend, but will do a list of who has sent and who has received tomorrow. There are some great Leprechaun packages being sent!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday, Robin!!!

Here's where we are with the swaps:
    Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) and Becky (booberry) will be partners. Both have received.
    Vina (flowergirl) and Alana (poisiondartfrog) will be partners. Vina received.
    Suzanne (hibiscusfan) and Margo (smitties) will be partners.Both have received.
    Heidi (xiangirl) and Annie (canyonwind) will be partners. Heidi received.

I hope I got all of that right and I know the others are either in the mail or will be shortly because the partners have all been posting. I love to log on and see all the chatting! Speaking of chatting... I have not been out to check on my winter sowing jugs since I got home from my weekend trip - need to head out there and see what new has sprung up!

Jeanne

12 years ago

I'm in Nebraska and we got 18 hours of gentle rain. We really needed it. It wasn't constant...enough to soak in. Everything is coming up so early...but we can't stop it. This little leprechaun took over an abandoned city park flowerbed last year. The park guys whacked off anything that wasn't blooming every 2 weeks. I pulled out the weeds and planted many things, putting in stakes to let them know NOT to whack off certain plants. I checked this weekend and several perennials are coming back and some of the seeds have sprung up, too! The great thing about this flower bed is that once it gets warm enough they turn on the automatic sprinklers and the flowers never dry out! It was so fun to see!
    Annie...I am going to use my dibbler to separate those babies after they grow a bit more. I can't wait!
    Today it is supposed to be 72 and the coolest day all week. Unprecedented!
    Heidi

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Happy...Happy Birthday Robin!!!!

Annie

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Happy belated Birthday, Robin! Hope you had a great day!
    Sorry I haven't been on, a dear friend is in the hospital and I've been trying to keep up with that.
    Another beautiful day here, my WSed jugs are sprouting like crazy!
    Have a great day!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Robin!! :)

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

A Leprechuan leaped into my mailbox yesterday! Thank you Vina!
    My package was open, but there was so much bounty inside that I am confident it arrived unmolested.

The Irish Blessing
    May love and laughter light your days,
    And warm your heart and home.
    May good and faithful friends be yours,
    Wherever you may roam.
    May peace and plenty bless your world
    With joy that long endures.
    May all life's passing seasons bring the best
    to you and yours.

The seeds
    Dianthus, Black Magic
    Amaranthus, Green Towers
    Tomato, Jelly Bean
    Tomato, Snow White
    Aquilegia, Winky Dinky
    Zinnia, Giant Lime Green
    Dwarf Joe Pye, Little Joey
    Alyssum, Basket of Gold
    Spirea, Gold Mound

The Piece de resistance
    Peony, Shirley Temple

Wow Vina! That Peony was above and beyond! It is beautiful!

Many thanks,
    Alana

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Heidi,

Your GREEN envelope arrived in yesterday's mail.

A lovely blessing....with pictures to go along with each line.

May the road rise up to meet you
    May the wind be ever at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face
    And the rain fall softly on your flowers
    And until we swap again
    May God hold you in the Palm of his hand

And seeds...
    Royal Carpet Alyssum Purple
    Asiatic Lily Lilium Pink
    Gaillardia Punchella

Thanks so much. You are a mighty fine lit'l leprechaun.

Annie

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hey all!

Alana, so glad it made it okay. I had my doubts with my special wrap job I did. Happy St.Pats! :)

Annie, that sounds like a great GREEN surprise :)

Have a great day!
    vina

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Also, Happy Birthday to Dee (domehome)! Hope you have a great day!
    Has anyone heard if Melissa has had her baby?
    I have lots of "green" in my WSed containers, hopefully the weather will stay good. We had a twenty minute hail storm Thursday night, didn't do too much damage, just to the plastic tops on my aluminum pan "planters"
    Have a great St. Paddy's Day!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Happy Birthday, domehome!

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Heading outside to check on my winter sowing containers and get them settled in less sun. It is hot and the pollen is going crazy this year! Sniff... Sneeze...

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Domehome, Happy Birthday! What a great day to have a birthday! Enjoy!

And Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everyone has received her swap so thanks for being such good partners and getting those leprechauns on the move!
    You can continue to post here for the rest of the month if you have anything to pass along. Shirley will be our hostess for April and I know she will come up with something great. I'll be heading out to visit with my grandtriplets soon. I may take my iPad with me; and if so, I might be able to check in now and then. Free time is pretty non-existent though... LOL
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone, sorry I haven't been posting much; a dear friend is in the hospital, and that's been taking up a lot of my time, kind of worried about her.
    I will be posting the April FOTESS Swap this weekend. I would like to thank Becky (booberry) and Heidi (xiangirl) for sharing ideas with me for this swap, I'll be in touch within the next few days, Ladies! I really appreciate your interest and ideas!
    Our weather has been beautiful! Stole a few hours this morning and went out to our State park to take pictures. Got what I think is a Merlin! Merlins are small falcons, not rare, but rarely seen.
    Jeanne, hope you have a great time with the grandtriplets, and NO, you won't have a lot of computer time! Enjoy! and have a safe journey
    Will talk to ya all soon!
    Shirley!