Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

New: OBF - March Swap: Our Green Garden Friends

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

In order to participate in this swap, you must be a member of Our Bloomin' Friends - a year round trade group. If you are interested in joining, please email Veeja (Carol) or Brittneysgran (Shirley.) We welcome dependable swappers to our group and will be happy to let you know about the rules for joining.

So, here is our March Swap Theme: "Our Green Garden Friends" with a little longer title of "Frogs, Fairies, Gnomes and Other Green Garden Friends."

I wanted to add green to the theme because of plants, St. Patrick's Day and the first day of Spring! Two things to send in this swap: a garden "friend" or something to encourage "friends" (critter types) to visit the garden and a plant or several packets of seeds that will also attact more garden friends. When you sign up, let us know if there is a special garden friend that you like (for me, I especially like gnomes, ceramic mushrooms, and toad houses. I also like things with bee or ladybug designs on them.)

Please post your likes and dislikes so you can receive just the right friend or a treat for just the right friend in your package. For example, if someone is trying to keep squirrels out of the garden, they may not appreciate a squirrel feeder! Others may be enthusiastic about feeding the birds or attracting butterflies. I do not feed any critters "on purpose" other than my pets - however, I'm sure many critters easily live off the woods on our propery and probably nibble something in my garden now and then, too.

If gardening things are not available locally, you can always look for something to be used indoors with a garden related design.

As for a plant or seeds, it would be good if the plant or seeds can relate to some type of critter friend, too. This could be something with "Fairy" in the name, a plant that attracts butterflies, a plant that provides shelter from the sun for a toad, etc. Maybe something with spots to relate to a lady bug or stripes to relate to a bee? Please try to check out the person's exchange page to look for ideas. If plants cannot be sent because of the time of the year and the weather, send several packets of seeds - I am thinking maybe 3 packets of seeds equals a plant. Something like that anyway.

So one "critter" (fairy, frog, ladybug, toad, butterfly, gnome or whatever) or critter food or accessory if you are sending something like a bird feeder or suet and one plant or several packets of seeds relating to what you consider a garden critter/friend.

I really, really wanted to make this a total plant swap, but I keep reminding myself that many of you can't do that this early in the year. Please, if you can send a plant (or plants), post that when you sign up and I will match those who can send plants with each other. Perennials only for this swap, please. And, yes, I can send and receive a plant!!! I am so excited to see March right ahead!

Any questions, please ask. I know we don't usually post a dollar amount, but I will say that you should not spend more than $10-12 on the "critter" part of this and it is fine to send a plant that you have in your garden or seeds that you collected yourself or received in a trade. If you find something on sale that was $10 but is now 50% off, that is totally fine, too.

Sign up by March 7 and you will mail out to your swap pal by March 20 - the first day of Spring! I am hoping that by sending later in March, more will be able to include plants.

So I am now the first person to sign up. Hope to see many more of OBFs join in!

Jeanne

Comments (86)

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay Jeanne taking another crack at this
    2.mischevious
    3.night
    4.red
    5.Travelocity
    6.Frog
    8.Dove
    9.Dog
    10.Rabbit

Cindy : )

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Mercy it seems like forever since I was last on my computer.

First of all Jeanne I will not be able to join the swap for March. I so hate to miss it but my Mom really needs me right now.

Secondly Carol e-mailed me and said she wanted to take August as her month for swaps, so here's an updated list.

January-(Remy)Seed Swap-----completed

February-(Melissa)LYLAS-Love You Like A Sister---in progress

March-(Jeanne) St. Patricks Day---Green

April- (Maryanne) April Showers Bring May Flowers

May- (Margaret) May Flowers and Showers

June- (Shirley) White Elephant Swap

July- (Theresa) Beat The Heat Swap

August-(Carol) Dog Days

It's wonderful to say my back is better...Yeah..The pain pills the Dr. prescribed helped me through it. We got to bring my Mom home from the hospital Thursday. She is now on oxygen all the time, the Dr. has her on a very strict diet and no salt. We had to buy a scale so we can weigh her every day. She can never gain 3 pounds or we have to take her to the ER. Fluid builds up around her heart. My Sister and I have been staying at night with her and my niece during the day. I don't know how long we can continue to do this as we both work. I think I got 3 hours sleep Thursday night. Please keep my Mom in your prayers.

Jeanne here's my guesses
    1-10
    2-both
    3-night
    4-red
    5-travelocity
    6-frog
    7-4
    8-10 squirrel, bird rabbit

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody! So sorry not to have posted for so long. I even had trouble finding where the thread had gone . . . A lot has been going on here. I was laid up with a back injury for over a week, then got some horrible flu-like thing, then my youngest son was up against some college decision deadlines and we had to visit two colleges in the same week so he could make his choice. All this while my daughter in law has been on bedrest for having gone to the hospital with early labor, and I've been trying to go over and bring her lunches - which I failed miserably when I couldn't get out of bed. Gahhhh!
    Finally, I think things are back to "normal", whatever that looks like around here.
    I'd be delighted to join in the March swap. I can send plants and would love to receive plants, rather than seeds, thanks. Don't care for gnomes or ferries in the garden, thanks. Love butterflies, mushrooms, and birds; constantly battle squirrels -they eat the bulbs, terrorize the birds and break their feeders - and battle the deer. We are actually considering an electric fence this year. Those brave little suckers come right up to my DOOR, causing the motion sensitive lights to come on, and it doesn't faze them! The rabbits are becoming a problem, too. Don't know what to do about those. My coneflowers and other low growing flowers and veg don't have much of a chance. This year somebody is even eating the azaleas! I've never had that happen before. I've only just noticed this yesterday, as we had a balmy 63 degrees in the afternoon, and I was able to get out there and clean out some beds. Cleaning the beds was great; seeing my poor bushes was depressing.
    Hope you all have a great weekend.
    Dottie

• veeja11
    15 years ago

okay here is another try
    1. 4
    2.both
    3,night
    4.red
    5.travelocity
    6. frog
    7.-8-9 bird deer rabbit

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shirley, I am so glad your back is better. I hope your mother does better, too. It sounds exhausting, but you are being a good daughter to allow her to be at home for now. It sounds like we have some good swaps coming up! Of course, I understand about you not swapping this month.

Dottie, I hope you are feeling much better. It sure sounds busy around your house. I hope your daughter does well through the remainder of her pregnancy and that your son has a college picked out now. So glad to have you participate in the swap.

As for the contest, I will get on one more time tonight and say who has the highest number right. It may be more than one person. Then I will take a final look in the morning in case there are some late night guesses. When I log on in the morning, I will determine the winner! Can't wait to see who it is!
    Remember, the winner gets a prize but also needs to come up with some questions for the second contest. I will continue to mail the prize to the winner even when the answers are to someone else's questions. My treat for the month! No more than one contest per week though. LOL

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As of now, Carol has the most answers right. With west coast time and all that, I will see if anyone else posts before midnight and announce the winner in the morning.
    Jeanne

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Ok, one last guess before the deadline...

1. 1
    2. both
    3. night
    4. red
    5. Travelocity
    6. Frog
    7. 5
    8. deer
    9. bird
    10. rabbit

Now I have to stop procrastinating on my homework...fun, fun on a Saturday night. The sacrifices we make to be smarter! ;-)

Amy A.

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

1. 4
    2. mischief
    3. night
    4. red
    5. travelocity (i only know this because of the amazing race)
    6. ladybug
    7. 5
    8-9-10. dove, fawn, rabbit

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol is the winner! Congratulations, Carol!
    Actually Maryanne had six right as well, but Carol was ahead late Saturday evening and Maryanne's choices were posted after midnight - tough break. Girls, you were neck and neck right there to the end! If Maryanne's guesses had been just a bit earlier, I would have drawn a name from a hat to see which one won.

Carol, I will take a look at your exchange list and send a little package to you next week. Now, you need to list some questions about critters (in your garden or that you feed) for this week's contest. Please list them by Wednesday and send me the answers so I can keep score - or if you want to do that and just let me know who the winner is, that is fine, too. Guessing will end at midnight on Saturday and I will announce the winner on Sunday. I hope everyone will play!

Here are the answers:

1. How many gnomes do I have in my garden? 4
    2. Do gnomes do good deeds or are they mischievous? The answer I had was that they are good and care for wildlife, but everyone said they were either good or good and bad so really this question did not count against anyone. (I hope they are not bad - I've got four of them out there!!!)
    3. According to legend, do they come out in the daytime or at night? Night
    4. What color is the typical gnome's hat? Red
    5. What well known travel company has a gnome as its mascot? Travelocity
    6. I have a critter on a welcome sign in my garden - guess what it is. Goose
    7. I have some mushrooms in my garden (decorative, not real), guess how many? 7
    8 -10. I have a statue of St. Francis for my garden and it includes three animals - name the three. Squirrel, deer, rabbit (Obviously I counted fawn and bunny as right answers. I was surprised there are no birds with him, but there are not.)

Anyway, this was fun. We still have 6 days for people to sign up for the swap if they want to be in. Also, more contests coming up so keep stopping by.

Final word - we may get snow late tonight and into tomorrow. They are saying possibly up to 4 inches! Oh, my...

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol,
    When you get a chance, please send me your mailing address by e-mail. I want to make sure I have the right one.
    Thanks!
    Jeanne

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Jeanne - Did you get that snow? We are getting it for real tonight. Up to twelve inches! School is already cancelled for tomorrow. My son, of course, is thrilled! Nothing better than no school on a Monday.
    Yes, I'm back to my old self now. Thanks for the good wishes. It was a very temporary thing, thankfully. The body is an amazing thing; if you don't pay attention to what it needs, it will really let you down!
    And yes, my son has chosen Rowan College, right here in N.J. I'm very glad for that. He is majoring in biochemistry, and they have a top ranked program there, heavily invested in engineering and sciences. Whaaa-hoooo! That was stressful for a while.
    Looks like I won't be working tomorrow, either. The snow is piling up now. It's good to be cozy in the house and not have to go anywhere. A good day to fiddle with starting more plants under lights in the basement.
    Stay warm, all!
    Dottie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No snow here at this point, Dottie. We may get just a little as the night progresses. It is still raining at this point and above freezing. We have had rain for nearly two days straight now.
    Sounds like some places are really getting hit hard. The funny thing is that the schools are closed tomorrow here as well. I think South Carolina doesn't cope well with snow.
    Stay cozy in the house, Dottie, and enjoy your plants.
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello everyone!

Hi Jeanne
    We certainly got lots of snow here! (just a few miles from SC border) brrrrr! It is so pretty though, I haven't seen this much snow in 10 years!

Have a great day everyon, trying to take some photos now!

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No snow here. Can I share your snow, Frances? I would be feeling really bad about it but we did get a nice snowfall in January so I guess that will have to be my "snow fix" for the year.
    Carol, I hope you are okay. We haven't heard from you since you won the contest. So many people are under the weather in the last few weeks.
    For those where it is cold and snowy - stay warm!
    Jeanne

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

good morning everyone.

we got the snow, not as hard hit as they anticipanted, but enough. haven't payed attention to the weather reports to hear the total inches, but it's enough to keep me inside for the day. all the schools were closed as of yesterday before the storm really made its mark, though. it certainly is beautiful out there. dottie, i can't remember how far south you are, but the shore points were supposedly hit the hardest.

it's nice to see my winter sown containers buried deep. i was out the other day and was going to buy some more soil, but thought to myself we weren't going to have any more freezes, so why bother. it's not that i had to sow more containers, i have done about 150 already, but i did want to start some tomato plants. oh well, maybe next week.

fun contest jeanne and congrats carol on your win. by the way carol, i sent you email and it bounced back a few times. i do have the correct address, not sure what's going on. can you email me and i'll see if i can repond to it? thanks

i've been on this "baked egg" kick. my goodness, are they delicious. i just wanted something a little different one day and now i've been experimenting. i can make a meal out of them.

have a great day everyone
    maryanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

;)

Jeanne you can have it all! I have never seen so much snow since I moved here....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All!
    I'm back. It was so nice down in Key Largo. I'm still doing stuff around here so I still need to read through all the posts. I'll write more later. I just wanted to say hi! : )
    Remy

• missg
    15 years ago

Congratulations Carol for your win!
    Maryanne, We got snow also, It's still coming down.
    Remy, Glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Gale

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Maryanne, I'm just in the central part of NJ, near Princeton. We got loads of snow and it's still coming. Forecast was for twelve inches. I went out this morning and shook all the smaller trees and laurels to keep the weight from breaking them. We lost two huge branches off big trees that are too heavy for me to move. My DH told me to go walk around our property and see where the deer tracks are, so we can organize our defense this year! Unfortunately, there is so much snow falling in clumps off the trees, it makes it hard to see where there are tracks and where there is just indentation from falling snow. Wasn't very successful, and now there are "me" prints all over. Btw, what are baked eggs?

Gale, I see you are also in zone 6. Where are you?
    Welcome back, Remy. Are you suntanned?

Jeanne, I don't think you'd want to trade our next few days of weather here; we are due for 4 degrees tonight, according to my Weatherchannel online. Guess it's a good thing that the snow will insulate the poor little lamb's ears that I uncovered while cleaning beds last week when it was above 60! A lot of the bulbs were poking up a couple of inches, too. Hope they will be okay.

Well, I'm off to the basement to plant some more seeds under lights. I know I should probably stop, as I will be running out of space, not to mention lights, soon. This always happens . . . . but I got so many nice seeds from all you guys in the January seed swap, I just HAVE to!

Dottie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi again,
    I missed a good contest! Carol, Congrats on the win!!
    I always like when there are questions that are ungoogleable, lol, ungoogleable that needs to be a new word.

I went on a garden walk while down in Key Largo. There were some very nice homes right on the water on the tour. I took pics and will upload them soon.

Jeanne,
    I'm not going to swap this month. There is too much going on and I need to get caught up on things. I of course will come and chat as usual : )
    I think the list you have is correct. There are a few people on there who are not active on GW right now but are members in good standing for when they return. Maybe the list should be re-written with them on the bottom as members welcome to return or something like that? Anyone have an idea?

Frances,
    You got a lot of snow! It is funny seeing everyone else with lots of snow when we only have a dusting on the ground.

Dottie,
    I'm just a tad darker than my normally very pale self. I always joke that I get a barroom tan.

Marie,
    I did get you some goodies. Of course we need to wait until the weather is warmer for shipping. The way things are going that may be a long time from now,lol.

Maryanne,
    I'm intrigued by the baked eggs also. Please elaborate.

Dottie,
    Sounds like you had a lot going on! I'm glad things have calmed down again.

Shirley,
    I'm sorry to hear about you mom and your back. It must be a very stressful time.

Debbya,
    I still need your updated questionnaire. I will send you an email again.

If I forgot anyone you know I didn't mean it!
    Talk to you all soon,
    Remy

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Jeanne, if you're offering to take some snow, you can have all of mine!! ;-)

Mary Ellen, how was your trip to MN?

Welcome back Remy!

Sorry for sending our snow storm your way everyone on the East coast!! I can't say that I feel too sorry for you though. lol. Seriously though, I hope it all melts quickly.

I'm just procrastinating on doing my homework tonight. Jeanne, do you take that for me too?! lol

Amy A.

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Frances-That is alot of snow, here in the Mountains we got none. It doesn't snow here like it used to.

Maryanne-I want to hear about the baked eggs also. You have my attention.

Remy-So glad to see you back. I miss you when you are away.

Carol-Congratulations on the win.

Dottie-Nice to see you back with us. I hope to get more seeds planted if life lets me. LOL

Amy-GET THAT HOMEWORK DONE. I always loved school and would even play school with friends when it was out in the summer.

Jeanne-That was a fun game, thanks.

Night all

Shirley

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Shirley aren't you the lucky one! I heard some people got as much as a foot not too far from you. the official report says 7 inches in Gastonia! I haven't seen so much snow since I moved here 10 years ago! It is lovely and it didn't melt before noon either! I think it will probably last into tomorrow!!!

Maryanne What are baked eggs?

Remy so glad to hear you had a nice trip@

Amy Good luck at school!

Jeanne, I am glad the snow missed you, so many in the Carolina's without poswer! As pretty as it is every time I hear branches cracking under the weight I cringe and brace for the darkness!

Have a great night everyone, stay safe and warm!

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still haven't heard from Carol. I hope she is okay. Anyway, her prize for the contest will be here to be mailed once I hear from her.
    I wanted to start another contest to run Wednesday - Sunday. Is there someone who wants to list some questions about critters in her yard - decorative or real - so we can have another contest? If so, let me know. I guess check with me by e-mail first or we may have several contests all going at once and I won't have a clue what is going on!
    (If you write questions, the better ones are ones that cannot be researched - like how many gnomes in the yard, what type of seed you feed to the birds, or what is on your welcome sign... things like that. Okay to have a few that can be researched. We mostly want guessing!)
    I will repost our list of March swappers soon.
    Jeanne

• missg
    15 years ago

Dottie I'm in Philadelphia, Only thing that was nice
    about the snow, we was off from work with pay.

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Hey Gale,
    I think you are the closest g-webber to me, so far, at least on this roundrobin thread. I didn't work either, but I don't get paid! Good for you.
    Tomorrow I have to drive to Virginia, about four hours' drive. I guess the roads are okay, but it's still going to be long. Especially the four hours back.
    The snow sure is pretty, though. We have icicles about three feet long all along the back of our house over the deck. This afternoon when the sun was out strong I heard some of them hitting the deck with a loud crash. They shook the house enough that my half-deaf 13 year old dog got up and woofed at them. I may take some pix and try to put them up. They're pretty spectacular.
    Dottie

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

good morning everyone,

welcome back remy. hope you had a wonderful trip. how was the driving? did you hit an inclement weather? had to be a little bit of a relief coming home to the lack of snow. i heard on the news when they were discussing our now, that your area already had 92 inches this season. who needs more, right?

jeanne, i had sent email to carol and it got bounced back a couple of times. not sure if her mailbox is full - has anyone else had that same problem (recently)?

missg - what part/section of philly are you in? i'm right outside the county line.

baked eggs....they are outstanding, and i recommend you try them, at least once. it's really just an egg cracked into a ramiken, add a little cream (or milk or half and half), season, perhaps some grated cheese. i have added fried pepperoni pieces, pieces of ham, roasted peppers...whatever you like. i have also topped with some butter dotted panko. bake for about 8 to 12 minutes or so and viola!!!! i use the toaster oven, i can't see turning the oven on for just that task. can't wait to hear if any of you try it and then hear what you think about them.

a new season of dancing with the stars starts next week. looking forward to it -- how about you?

60 and 62 degrees come saturday and sunday. it's funny, i was out last week in shirtsleeves working, seeing all the bulbs popping, even having a crocus or two in bloom and then this. why do i always forget about march "in like a lion".

be well everyone.
    maryanne

• mellen
    15 years ago

Melinda, I am so relieved that you liked what I sent. I was thinking that you had waited so long for it, and it would be a dud. The geode came from SE Iowa from my brother-in-law. They find them on the banks of the Des Moines River, I believe. His mother had a ton of them around her flowers, and when she passed, he gave me as many as I wanted. I love them. She had some really BIG ones, too. Probably 3X or more the size of the one that I sent to you. Was glad for a Flat Rate Box so weight didn't make a difference.

Maryanne, your baked eggs sound delicious. That is something that I know hubs would like. May try it one of these evenings. He does almost all of the cooking so I may surprise him. LOL

Shirley, any back relief yet? And your mother? That is so difficult. Prayers are surrounding you.

Just finished talking to my good friend and plant sale buddy. She has surprise lilies up about 3" and some crocus greening up. She is telling the plants to go back to sleep. It is too early to come out. Then she looked up the weather in the almanac. Sounds like we are to have a warmer and dryer than usual April and May. We will see what happens. Today it is 50.

Remy, welcome home.

MaryEllen

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's our "swappers list." I'll be matching partners on Sunday.

Alwaysagarden - Swapping
    Amybabyboy - Not Swapping
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran - Not Swapping
    Debbya - Swapping
    Diggindirt49 - Swapping
    Dieg01991 - Swapping
    Dirtundermynails - Not Swapping
    Drgulley - Swapping
    Earthly Delights - Not Swapping
    Fcoffill
    Hazelnutbunny - Not Swapping
    Ilovefarac - Not Swapping
    lil green thumb
    LLbean
    Luckyladyd - Swapping
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007 - Swapping
    Mellen - Swapping
    Missg - Swapping
    Momcat
    Remy - Not Swapping
    Sandlapper Rose - Swapping
    Squanzon - Swapping
    Theresa24 - Not Swapping
    Veeja11 - Swapping
    Wynative

Did I miss anyone?

If I haven't heard from Carol by Sunday, I will come up with a new list of questions for our contest next week. I don't know if I will be able to get on each day to say who has the most answers right like I did before, but I will try to do it a few times. Next week will be an especially busy week for me.

It is supposed to get warmer here after tonight. It has been dipping down into the low 20's at night. So far my "greened up" plants seem to be tolerating it okay. My bigger problem with my winter sowing containers is the two days of steady rain that we had last weekend. I think I lost the plants in one container that had sprouted. They just couldn't tolerate conditions that wet.

Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Thanks for the welcome backs everyone!
    I sent everyone a copy of all the questionnaires. If you didn't get one, let me know. I'm so far behind with stuff, I'm glad I got that done.
    I did get my Florida photos uploaded onto my computer, but I still have to edit and put them on photobucket. I'll be happy when that is done.

Amy A,
    Hope you are getting your homework done. Your questionnaire and school made me think of a couple friends from when I was in college, both called A to Z because of their last names. Do people do that to you too?

Shirley,
    That's so sweet of you : )

Frances,
    I'm surprised the snow stuck on the ground for you that long!

Jeanne,
    I included Carol's new email on the questionnaire, so yoiu should be able to get a hold of her now.

Maryanne,
    Your eggs sound yummy! I'll have to tell Gary so he can make them for me, LOL.
    I'm not into Dancing with the Stars. A lot of people sure are though!
    I sure hope it gets warmer,
    Remy

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Sorry I have been lost, we finally got high speed internet out here, I have been installing it, wow what a difference,. I will post my questions tomorrow morning. didn't know I would be doing it so have to come up with questions, sorry to be late. my addy is 242 169th st e spanaway wa 09387. Very happy to be the winner. contest begins in am. hugs carol

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne

I guess I forgot to say "Sign me Up" I will join in this month.

I can send and recieve plants, bulbs whatever. I would prefer not to recieve bird feeders or food. Bird feeding is a real challenge here (We have a squirrel/chipmonk population problem). Most feeders end up chewed and broken even hummingbird feeders, those rodents are a real menace!

I do like most garden creatures though so anything else would be welcome.

Most of the garden seems to have survived the snowstorm, but I will know better when the snow is gone this afternoon. (I hope) just a few deep shade patches left this morning. The shrubs are all bouncing back, I hope I did not loses all of the spring bloom!

Have a great day everyone!

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances, I wondered since we had not heard from you - or maybe I missed the posting - glad you will be joining us.

Good to hear from you, too, Carol. Remy told me about your internet changing so then I didn't worry so much. Sure - post some questions for us for this next week! I will mail our your prize on Monday because I have some other things to mail that day, too.

Our recent cold weather has ended so some nice days for awhile. I try to enjoy this part of the year all that I can because all too soon it will be HOT!

Remy, thanks for all the work you did gathering the members' information. It's great.

Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Mellen-My back is better thanks for asking. I decided to go and play volleyball tonight since the pain was gone. After an hour it started bothering me a little so I told everyone bye and left the court. I was a little worried on the way home but it feels fine now.

Maryanne-I will have to try those baked eggs this week-end.
    I am a reality show junkie and looking forward to Dancing with the Stars. I must say my favorite is Biggest Loser.

Remy-Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I received the questionaire, thanks.

Frances-Snow storms are funny the ones coming from the South usually misses us.

My Mom is doing much better but gets somewhat confused about things. We give her the medicine she must take each day. I hope to get up early Saturday morning and clean her house. I want to be out in my yard most of the day. The temps here are supposed to be around 73....Yeah can't wait.

Shirley

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

It's in the 60's today and beautiful outside! I just finished cleaning/detailing my car! Black is such a hard color to keep looking clean.

Remy,
    Sorry about the questionaire, I somehow missed it in my email. But, I did receive the finished bunch of them, and all my info is basically the same. Nothing really changed.

I have a ton of things to do today, so only stopped by for a minute!

Hugs,
    Deb

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Okay a lil late but here goes, prize still to be decided
    1. I have a statue overlooking my garden what is it ?
    2. I have sveral statues and faces of my favorite animal in my gardens what is it any how many do I have ?
    3. my no tresspassing sign says violaters will be shot, survivors will be _____ ______?
    4. a critter climbs my fence and eats my cat food every night. what is it ?
    5. I have a critter key holder in my garden. what is the critter ?
    6. I have 9 windchimes
    4 are ?
    7. 1 is
    8.1. is ?
    9 1 is ?
    good luck slow carol

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Okay Carol giving it a shot.
    1. Angel
    2. Frog-9
    3. shot again!
    4. possum
    5. crow-bird
    6. wooden
    7. clay
    8. broken
    9. your favorite

I had no idea how to answer the windchime questions... so don't laugh!

Cindy : )

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Good morning, all! What a lovely day it looks like out there.
    The big news here is we have a new grandson, since 4 AM! He's just over 7 lb, isn't yet named, and we will see him later today. Only yesterday I met our new granddog, who is also adorable. My oldest son has really embraced the American Dream, having bought a house a few months ago, adopted a dog three days ago, and has his second child as of this morning!
    ALSO . . my wintersown pots seem to be sprouting up like mad! I was shocked to find that maybe half of the containers have good sized little green plants in them! Help! Now what do I do???? It will be 60 degrees here today, but will fall into the 20s again at night this week. Do I take off the covers, then put them back on? Just leave them alone? Water them? Panic????
    I labeled the containers, so I do know what's what. I also have a log of when I planted each thing - which I think I'm supposed to report somewhere to somebody??
    Isn't this silly; I planted all these things and I guess I didn't really expect any to come up! At least not so soon.
    Cindy - I like your anwers to the contest questions, especially "broken" for one of the windchimes. Never would have thought of that(even though one of mine is also actually broken). Also, I'm not sure, but were you the one I sent some Tropical Sunrise canna seeds? Did they germinate? All mine actually did. They are now about 7" tall.

Have a great day, everyone!
    Dottie

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Okay, okay, I got over-excited about the wintersowing and not exactly half of the containers are up; an actual count of 9 out of 50. It just seemed like a lot more when I first saw them! So far I have Little Gem Romaine, Spinach, Mesclun, Dame's Rocket, Viola, Broccoli, another Little Gem Romaine, another Mesclun, and Radishes. Interestingly, the two little gem romaines were planted over a week apart, and both look exactly the same in terms of sizes of the plants.

Thanks for any advice on how to go on with the WS project! (forgive my over-enthusiasm - sometimes I'm such a newbie).
    Dottie

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

1. DOG
    2. WOLF - 4
    3. SHOT AGAIN
    4. SQUIRREL
    5. FROG
    6. I have 9 windchimes (no question posted on this one)
    4 BIRD HOUSES
    7. METAL
    8. WOOD
    9. GLASS

• missg
    15 years ago

Maryanne, I,m in west Philly. about 4 blocks from Landsdown Pa.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

1. saint francis
    2. wolf - 7
    3. shot again (my dad would've said 'peed on')
    4. raccoon
    5. turtle
    6. ?
    4 noisy ;)
    7. shell
    8. metal
    9. bamboo

• wynative
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

Count me in! Wow, I thought I was going to miss this one.

My daughter and I moved into a new house & I started a new job this week - I am working everyday right now but I get next Friday off to go get my new furniture!!

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts but I saw there is some winter sewing going on and sprouts are coming up, WAHOO! 4 years ago I started some Christmas White Amarylis seeds, this is the first one to bloom! Just 2 days after I moved into my house :)
    {{gwi:1250067}}

I will check back in tomorrow afternoon to catch up with everyone.
    Marie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you can swap with us, Marie. Your flower is beautiful.

Carol, you don't need to provide a prize. I will send one to the winner on your questions as well. It's just with questions being based on things we have in our yard, my ability to ask questions was pretty much gone after the first round. I am just on for a few minutes but I do plan to guess later...
    Let's say that those who want to guess should guess by the end of the day Wed. and then I will wait to hear from Carol as to who won. Carol, if you want to give a hint each day or so about who has the most answers correct, that may help.
    Tomorrow is my day to match people for the swap. I know some are anxiously waiting.
    It's sunny out and I have been in a meeting half the day so I am heading outside to enjoy this pretty day!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are my guesses, Carol.
    1. Saint Francis
    2. Wolves - Number is 7
    3. I agree - "Shot Again"
    4. fox
    5. turtle
    6. 4 are butterflies
    7. 1 is wolves
    8. 1 is ladybugs
    9. 1 is cuttlery (I saw a great windchime once made out of forks, knives, and spoons, so that's my guess here.)

It was a beautiful day here, but I only got outside for a little while. I had that meeting that took up half the day and work, too.

Dottie, I am glad your wintersowing is panning out. I have over half of my jugs with sprouts - actually way beyond sprouts - three types I took out of the jugs and repotted today. I would have like to put them straight into the ground, but I need to rake out and enrich my beds first. (And now when I am going to find time to do that? LOL)
    I find winter sowing to be exciting; Dottie, I can get excited about my plants or yours - they are all exciting, so carry on!!!

Jeanne

• veeja11
    15 years ago

EaRTHLY HAS THE MOST CORRECT ANSWERS.sorry for the caps.
    sandlapper has the idea for windchime ans the best. #3 has been guessed by most. ans to # 7. is I have one wolf windchime good guesses no one got the windchimes yet. keep a guessing. hugs carol

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is our final list on who signed up to swap. I'll be back on soon to match up partners. I want to look over last months swap so you will not send to the same person two months in a row.

Alwaysagarden - Swapping
    Amybabyboy - Not Swapping
    Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran - Not Swapping
    Debbya - Swapping
    Diggindirt49 - Swapping
    Dieg01991 - Swapping
    Dirtundermynails - Not Swapping
    Drgulley - Swapping
    Earthly Delights - Not Swapping
    Fcoffill - Swapping
    Hazelnutbunny - Not Swapping
    Ilovefarac - Not Swapping
    lil green thumb
    LLbean
    Luckyladyd - Swapping
    Lunamoon
    Margaret 2007 - Swapping
    Mellen - Swapping
    Missg - Swapping
    Momcat
    Remy - Not Swapping
    Sandlapper Rose - Swapping
    Squanzon - Swapping
    Theresa24 - Not Swapping
    Veeja11 - Swapping
    Wynative - Swapping

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going to start a new heading with the matched partners.
    I know that at some point I said I would add some pictures. These are not the best, but here are some of my garden critters:

One of my mushrooms
    {{gwi:1250069}}

Gnomes enjoying the tulips
    {{gwi:1250071}}

I'll try to find some better ones to post another day.
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Not much going one here, just work, cleaning, etc. boring stuff. It will be exciting this week though. I'm going to a beer tasting/education on Tues. I have a web site meeting on Thurs. On Friday I'm going to Gardenscape which is the Rochester garden show I attend every year. It is a really nice one! I will also be working it too for the Rock Garden Society.

Dottie,
    Congrats on the grandson! Lol, about getting over excited about the sprouts. Lettuce, broccoli family plants, and violas are very tough and can handle light freezes when they are babies. So you can take the lids off, but if it is going to dip really low like you said, you will need to re-cap them.

Marie,
    I'm glad to hear of the good news!! Do we all have the wrong address now? lol. Your bloom is gorgeous! 4 years, you are a patient woman.

Jeanne,
    Are those pics of flowers blooming now with your garden critters? If so I'm very jealous!

Here's my stab at Carol's questions.

1. I have a statue overlooking my garden what is it ? gargoyle - I have one out front for Gary so I'll guess the same
    2. I have several statues and faces of my favorite animal in my gardens what is it any how many do I have ? Wolves 10
    3. my no tresspassing sign says violaters will be shot, survivors will be _____ ______? Shot Again
    4. a critter climbs my fence and eats my cat food every night. what is it ? Raccoon
    5. I have a critter key holder in my garden. what is the critter ? Frog
    6. I have 9 windchimes
    4 are ? butterflies
    7. 1 is wolf
    8.1. is ? frog
    9 1 is ? abstract

Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• luckyladyd
    15 years ago

Thanks, Remy! He's adorable, of course.

And thanks for the advice about the WS containers. I flipped up the tops while it was really warm and put them back last night. Glad to know that wasn't wrong. There were a couple that had sprouted that I didn't even notice; I also had kholrabi and brussels sprouts coming up.

Your beer tasting sounds like fun. My son in law makes his own beer and I'm going to try to grow hops this year. Ever tried that? I have no idea about them. Now they are in the fridge, doing their winterizing thing. I get to plant them next weekend under lights. I also put a few in wintersowing containers. No action yet.

Going to the garden show sounds great. We were supposed to go to the Phila. flower show yesterday, but the grandson came, so we didn't make it. Maybe next year. You're in a rock garden society? You sure keep busy!

Dottie