Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrow

UPDATE: #2 Now cut that out! Cuttings and bulbs

greenthumbgrow
15 years ago

Just realized I filled it so here is the new one... Below is the original instructions

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.

This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)

Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)

Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)

Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)

Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)

Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

1. Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Comments (148)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Kim - My understanding is from stem cuttings being planted outside (MUCH faster than growing from seed), your plant will take 6 months to even flower, then from there another 45 days or so to set fruit. I just do not think it'll do well for you in your zone. I'm sorry, Kim... I wish everyone could grow every plant!

For those getting Dragon Fruit, here's some more information. It grows out through numerous stems that have roots dangling off them. It's preferable that you stake the plant to a trellis and train it up it. It will make harvesting the fruit MUCH easier. Although, it's easy to grow, you have to really be on top of this plant to get fruit. The flowers open at night for only one night, I believe, and must be pollinated then or that flower will not develop a fruit. You also must be very careful of its spines that are certainly not as bad as some cacti, but you will have to wear protection to attach it to the trellis and harvest fruit.

Now for those not in zone 11 (I think all of us), it will need some kind of winter protection. It can be quite spreading, so it might be larger, although it can be pruned to specific shapes/sizes. Just keep in mind some plants, after several years, spread out to 20' long. I don't figure any of ours will get that big as we will have to keep them pruned and protected. If you're in a higher zone, like me, you might could protect it outside by covering the trellised area for overwintering outside. I think this might be more feasible than trying to overwinter inside every year, unless you have a way to get the trellis and pot that the plant is in inside the hosue or garage. I just want you all to know what you're getting into if you're trying to push your zone on this one, is all. I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts...

Blessings,
    Angela

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I'll have to double check on mark's form to see if i do have stavia and the kiwis, pinoy noir corkscrew and strawberries, blackberries from dirt recorded there, because I'd really hate missing out on those!!!
    And I also wanted to announce that i have 3 WSo containers with sprouting!!!! Yeah!!! Of course i could have guessed, #1 was champion collards, #2 was siberian kale, #3 russian kale !! I'm so worried about the flats of sprouted zinnias and others stuff into my little greenhouse on rollers because i needed more room in the sunroom to maneuver. It's been 2 nights out so fat and they are still chipper,green , the artichokes are the biggest in the lot, I'm not too worried about them as I am worried about the 6 inch tall zinnias and the almost sprouted cobeas ans such... cross my fingers. Chris

15 years ago

Kim - I forgot to mention that I'm going to leave it up to you as you were one of the first 4 that responded for a cutting. It is a cool plant, even if it doesn't fruit. I really like it just as is. It can really look neat the way it branches out and spreads. I've never seen a plant that looked like this... If you do choose you want it, please, let us all know.

For anyone else who wants some who may not get one right now, I am almost sure I'll have a couple more cuttings available. I just didn't want to put them up as an offer if I wasn't 100% sure.

Blessings,
    Angela

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Angela I kinda figured out the dragon fruit might not make it to fruit in my area so feel free to pass it along...it was worth asking :)

dirtdiggin, I missed the strawberries, could I get a couple of each if you have any left?

Thanks Kim

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

As long as Mark said it was okay to put up seeds too, I just received a baggie of mixed clematis seeds. I'll put 10 offers up for this swap. They are a mix of pink, lavender, deep purple, rose and some autumn clematis.

15 years ago

I have these players down for a Dragon Fruit so far:
    dirtdiggin
    markcase1964
    sandlapper_rose
    zinaray

The offer is now closed temporarily! I will post again when I see enough new growth that I know I can offer more!

Nichol (gardenmom2) - WELCOME to this very fun and awesome swap! I know you'll be glad you joined! I still have cuttings available of dwarf pink crepe myrtle, Crassula lycopoidiodes, and an indestructible variegated houseplant (I do have the name somewhere on this, if interested). I will soon most likely be able offer more pink Four o' clock tubers and Dragon Fruit as well, if you want to keep checking the thread for updates.

Chris (grolikecrazy) - Your wintersowing sounds like fun! I can't wait to get a few done myself. This will be my first year. I'm not doing very many as it's kind of a test for me.

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Kim - Have you down for strawberries.

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Welcome aboard gardenmom2! Check your inbox. I emailed the database of what is still available as of 6:00 AM this morning.

Mark

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

dirtdiggin ~ I'd love to try the clematis seeds, ty for the offer! :)

~Wendy

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Thanks for the strawberries dirtdiggin!

Kamil guess what!?! I found a large 8" purple pitcher plant on clearance at Lowe's today for only $1. I would never have even looked at it if you didn't offer them here. I am thinking this will be fun to grow.

Kim

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dirtdiggin - I'd Love to try the clematis seeds also. I LOVE clematis. Thanks soo much.

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Wendy & Tammy, Got you down for clematis seed :)

There is a website dedicated to starting clematis from seed. I'll post it below. It's quite interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Website

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

We had some questions about rooting magnolia. I was able to visit with the USDA Forest Service research lab tech. He told me that magnolia cuttings root best from fresh summer cuttings. If you want to attempt it from winter cuttings, he said to use much stronger compound with bottom heat. Expect very low rooting, about 20%.

If anyone wants to try it, I have plenty of magnolia to share. HUGE white, very fragrant blooms.

Mark

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Dirt, could you throw some corkscrew willow my way? I just did some research on it, and found out it is also known as Tortuosa or Dragon's Claw Willow, which would make it perfect for my Halloween-themed garden...

Has anyone ever tried wisteria in a bonsai project? I've got a couple that I'm using in one I want to look like a miniature forest...

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

lol Sure Dan. I'll put you down for some corkscrew willow.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Request... I am already down for a stevia. However I was telling my mom about (who is a fanatic about tea) and asked if I might be able to get her one (she is diabetic and don't use sugar in her tea anymore and usually gets the powder at the health food store). I told her I would ask if there was an extra one at the end of the swap I would request it but don't want to take two if someone else here wanted it.

So could someone who has an extra stevia write it down for me (that would make two for me) but if someone else requests it from the forum please release it to them.

Thanks everyone. I told her I would ask so now I will let her know she might be getting one.

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Tammy- I have no problem rooting another. I'd be happy to help out with your mom.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Oh sorry...Forgot to post that it's stevia I'm rooting for you Tammy....lol And I misspelled it in the subject lol

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Wow thats awsome Kim! If I only had a way to get to Lowes...Now, it is probably to late to put it threw dormancy so I suggest you repot it into a peat moss/perlite/long fibered sphagnum moss mixture. Then place it in a dish of 1" of rain water in your brightest window. Later in the spring you can set the entire pot outside, and basically just keep it in water and it will grow, and you can even leave them outside all year since they are native to Canada. Who knows MAYBE it will even bloom! Man I envy you Kim!

Kamil

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Welcome gardenmom glad you decided to join us. I still have some cutting from my angel trumpet,gardenia,cherry jubilee,song of india and some baby yucca plants still available. I would be interested in a some cutting of your jackmanjii if availble please.

angelady if another cutting becomes available from your dragonfruit may I please have one too.

dirtdiggin...how big is your stevia plant that you can take cutting so often....must be huge. Checked the cuttings I took today and they are doing good.

Regina

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dirt. I appreciate it and I know she definately will.

Tammy

15 years ago

Regina - No problem! You got it. Your in the best zone for it, too, out of everyone so far.

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

ladygreensleeves - I have 6 parent stevia plants that have multiple branches and they are growing about 1.5-2 inches per week. I have them in the upstairs heated bathroom and they are just starting to thrive.

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

OK. All of you are so great. Here is what I have so far. I have ladygreensleeves down for a clematis cutting and zinaray for a cutting f each african violet.

I would like:
    plant-one-on-me: red twi dogwood, red geranium, mulberry, gold eunymous, salmon canna, pink geranium.

dirtdiggin: corkscrew willow, strawberries, holly, and both blackberries

angellady: crepe myrtle (could I get a couple if you have enough), crassula lyco (whatever it is :) ) and4 oclock tubers

ladygreensleeves: angel trupet, gardenia, cherry jubilee and song of india.

I am now off to look at the doc. you set me with everyone's listings and will post more wants later. Hopefully, I will be able to walk around and find more I can offer but i am not sure. Thanks Nichol

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Ok. My list is HUGE and I really feel bad that I don't have much to offer in return. If someone does not hve something, that is ok. I hope to offer more in a couple days but here is my grocery list:

greenthumb: rosemary, vari. ivy, blue passion flower and var. philoden.

luvgardening2: raspberry cutting, and the following mints: choc., common, peppermint, orange,apple and varigated. (These were on my wish list and I am very excited to get any of them if not all :)

sandlapper: japonica, holly, st. john wort

grlikecrazy: pussywillow, forsythia, red twig dogwood, redbud-2 if avail, anjou pear, each bouganvillea, honeysuckle, fr. lilac, dbl mock orange, gold spirea, blue budleia, new dawn climb. rose, shef. chrysanthemum, any daffodils and tulips

zinaray narcissus, fall crocus and dofodils

ibartoo: honeysuckle, lantana, camillia, red oleander, privett (couple if avail.)

someone had purple canna, unwins dahlia and fuschia cactus

someone had hensnchicks, jade, lantana, white/pink christmas cactus, yellow butterfly bush, mock orange, viburnum, bee balm, canna and catmint

Mark Case: white/green spider plant, dogwood, forsythia, pampass grass, lemon grass, christ. cactus, garlic,

dirdiggin: holland iris, asparagus

sassybutterfly: jasmine vine, azaleas, dwf crepe mytle, ivy, bamboo, rosemary, azalea, mnkey grass

kamilijablo: pnk rose, climb. rose-pink and red, garlic, forsythia, canna, white iris, star of beth., spanish bluebells,

Dan: burning bush

lady greensleeves: bouganvillea: couple (I will overwinter in my NEW greenhouse my husband is building me>

If anyone has rose cuttings, I would take 1. I am starting a rose bed. If anyone has specal instruc. for their cuttings,please email me b/c I have only rooted a cpl things. I would love help and suggestions.

poisondartfrog: weigela, hydrangea, walk stcdk, shrub rose

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Gardenmom I have you down fro the purple canna and christmas catus fushia...Have a great day everyone :)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Zinary I have you down for the pink geranium

gardenmom2, I have you down for the red geranium, red twig dogwood, eunymous and canna, the pink geramium is already spoken for

Kamil, if I happen to get back to Lowe's and there are any carnivors left do you want me to pick one up for you?

Kim

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Oh yes please please please!!!!

Thank you so much!

Kamil

15 years ago

Nichol (gardenmom2) - I have your name down for all 3 of those you requested. As for not having much, I was surprised that I had enough things that I could share myself. I also got a couple things that I wanted and got enough to share here. Everyone has been so generous, I'm just in awe. I wish I could offer even more! (I do have a couple more things up my sleeve, but I wish I could offer even more than those!)

Wendy (sassybutterfly_2008) - I've been mulling over that jasmine you offered. I really would like some evergreen vines. May I have a couple cuttings of your jasmine, please? It sounds wonderful. I was curious what color the blooms are on it. I see them in white and yellow on my searches. Both are very pretty.

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Kim, count me in on that pitcher plant find if there are any left! Please.... :)

Ok, new offerings

pear cactus. I have unlimited cuttings. Yellow flower and the fruit is VERY sweet Makes a great marmalade. Cactus can be eaten too. Cut the needles off, slice like green beans and cook like green beans.

weeping cherry tree. unlimited cuttings. It will have about 50% success at this time of year with regular rooting hormone. Much higher success with stronger hormone.

coralberry. I will send bare root plants. I can get about 20 of them.

Mark

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Mark Can I have:
    pear cactus
    weeping cherry tree
    coralberry

Kamil

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Mark I would love a couple of cuttings of the Pear Cactus, weeping cherry tree and coralberry if I can please?

15 years ago

weeping cherry tree (can I have 3 cuttings?)
    coralberry

Thanks, Mark!

Blessings,
    Angela

15 years ago

I apologize, Mark, actually please just put me down for a coralberry. I thought the weeping cherry was an actual fruit tree. It is VERY pretty, though. I am just planting fruit trees here is all.

Blessings,
    Angela

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Mark can I have some pear cactus, weeping cherry and coralberry. If I get to Lowe's I will pick up a couple extra carnivores...I'll let you and Kamil know.

Kim

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Mark, I would love some pear catus, weeping cherry and coralberry.. Thank you guys for being so generous to this newby.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Mark Thanks for the new offers! I would love to try the pear catus for my gh. That is gonna be neat :) Thank you Mark....Barb

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Mark,
    I would love a cutting of the pear cactus and weeping cherry tree. Thank you.
    I just came in from planting pansies and some things in the garden are sprouting so maybe I can fine a few more things to offer.
    gardenmom2 - I will be happy to send kerria japonica, holly, and St. John's wort. Glad you are joining us.
    Jeanne

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Yea! I found a few things for people today!!! More to come, more to come...

Ok, a couple of my big wants: does anyone have wintergreen plants ( Gaultheria procumbens). I received some seeds but after reading about them, they have a low germination rate. I would love some plants... any of you snowy owls have it in your yards?

how about Virginia bluebells or bleeding hearts? Doesn't hurt to ask.

Ok, next offer: I got an unnamed plum in a trade earlier this winter and have been rooting them indoors. I have four of them. If this is anything like other plum trees, then it can get up to 25 feet high like any other fruit tree. Anyone interested? I only have four of them and they are already showing root buds.

Mark

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Hey!

Ugh...I just found out I am allergic to ginger. My gums have been swollen for a week know, I thought I was brushing well so I went to the dentist and the dentist told me that it was because I was allergic to something. So I had to go to the doctor and the doctor asked if I ate anything new, and I said that I had never had a ginger snap cookie and tried one and the next day my gums were swollen. And the did some kind of test with ginger and now I am allergic to ginger...

Mark! I would love one of your plums! Hmmm my godmother loves gooseberries, and she asked if I could find her some. In Poland they are very common. By any chance does anyone have a couple cuttings of thier gooseberry plant?

Kamil

Kamil

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Ok, more offerings.....

My neighbor brought by three pots of 'dead plants' today. While I was dumping them out to the compost, I saw lots of good, live roots. Then,.... I looked at the tag: oregano and peppermint. so, I have about 4 starts of each for anyone.

Then.... I go to the produce stand at the flea market and get the scraps for my compost bins and chickens. I was going through the scraps and there is about 50 pieces of ginger, the type you cook with. They seem a little soft, but i have brought this stuff back to life and grown it many times. Anyone want some? I am going to 'pot it up' and give it a little TLC until time to swap.

Mark

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi everyone :)

Angelady ~ I'd be happy to send you several cuttings of the Jasmine vine, this particular type has the white flowers. It is extremely hardy too! :)

Gardenmom ~ I can provide all the items you requested, no problem! and Welcome!!

Mark ~ I would LOVE some of the weeping cherry and the coralberry. Could I possibly get a few cuttings each ? :D

Thanks!
    Wendy

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Mark, I would love some mint and oregano. I prob. have some in the garden if it did not die off, but if not i will still haveone in te house, and if it did, this will get me going. I will try the ginger too. Thanks everyone for all of your kindness and generosity.
    Thanks. Nichol

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Mark could I get some of the Pear Cactus, weeping cherry tree, peppermint, plums, and coralberry please?
    If you'll remind me in a few months, I can get you some of the bleeding hearts from the woods on my dad's farm. I like to take a walk on his property every spring to see what's coming up where. Kind of makes me feel like Tom Bombadil, y'know? (now we'll see who gets THAT reference!)
    -Dan

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mark - I would love the weeping cherry 3 cuttings if poss., pear cactus, coralberry and ginger. I just told DH yesterday I wanted a weeping cherry for the front yard. I get on here and bam the first thing I read.(how weird is that)

Stop reading my mind.. ooor better yet.... keep it up.

gardenmom
    I have you down for:
    rosemary,
    vari. ivy,
    blue passion flower (this will be a cutting, but they root VERY easy) and
    var. philoden.
    BTW I think we all have a pretty loooong list so don't feel bad at all ask for what you want. Thats why were havin a swap.

Could you add me for your:
    clematis cutting
    Af. Violet leafs (1 ea)

Tammy

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Dan, you a closet Tolkien fan?

Thanks for looking for those for me!

• zinaray
    15 years ago

Mark May i have a pear cactus, oregano & ginger thanks Toni

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dan - OK. From what I remember from lit class (which was one of my fav. Classes because we chose to explore fokelore and mythology) I believe Tom Bombadil was a free spirit that liked to explore nature at his own pace and was created by a father (don't remember his name) from a doll his son had . He used the character to create poems that are kindda "middle-earth". He was also mentioned in the new movie Lord of the rings, it was somewhere at the end when they were talking to gandorf(sp?)

Gardenmom - I posted the other one before I looked at my list I may not have a passionflower left. I will have to see how much it grows from now to then. I will def. send one if I can get another cutting from it. I will leave you down for it just in case. But wanted to give you a heads up in case.

Almost forgot.....

**I am out of everything else previously listed ***

NEW LIST:

- Primrose - Pink (3 offers - maybe more I will let u know)
    - Vvarigated philodendron
    - Campion Rose

Also will be posting some bulbs in a couple days :-) Keep fingers crossed on my dahlias. I may be able to share.

15 years ago

Mark! WooHooo! I want the ginger, peppermint, and unnamed plum, please!.... Okay, now I'm gonna catch up on the rest of the posts since I've been gone...

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Mark, I'm not sure of all the plums are spoken for yet, but if there are any left, I would really appreciate one :) If not, I understand. Was away from home for a few hours, came home and WOW!!! It's just too much fun :)

Toni