Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: #2 Now cut that out! Cuttings and bulbs

Posted by greenthumbgrow 7 - MD (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 20:46

Just realized I filled it so here is the new one... Below is the original instructions

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.
This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)
Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)
Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)
Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)
Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)
Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

10) Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
come on

Come on everyone. Join the fun! We still have a month left.

o
RE: UPDATE: #2 Now cut that out! Cuttings and bulbs

Greenthumb I would love a cutting of the blue passion flower.. miss that one!

Kamil ~ I was trying to be conservative with the Star of Bethlehems.. your response shows how reproductive the lil things are! lol

Mark ~ didn't at all think you were whiney :P you absolutely deserve them and then some!

Thanks to all for the lessons on asparagus and rhubarb!

Think I'm gonna go crash now.. meds r kickin' in!

~Wendy

o

LOL! I am putting information in the spreadsheet and you all fill the thread! I am so glad you are all there to help out! Such a bad host.... I can't even open a new thread! LOL!

We are a chatty group... :)

o

Wendy no need to be conservative!

Mark can I send a large flat rate box full of stars of bethlehem? Along with the regular box of the other plants?

Kamil

o
send away

Kamil,

whatever you send will be split among the group! They can pass along to others too. We also have at least one person that want surprises...

Mark

o

I think a lot of us are going to be getting two boxes. hehehe.
I know my list is quite extensive. I am soo excited.

OFFERS STILL AVAILABLE:
new - Freesias - (2 offers of 2 bulbs)
new - Allium Aflatunense - (1 offer of 2 bulbs)
Blue Passion Flower - Cuttings
African Violet Leaf- Purple with yellow stigma - (2 offers left)

OK everyone when next you post add a line at the bottom of your post and fill in the blank...

I am most excited about receiving ____(pick one of your finds)____.
(Its not suppost to be easy. No cheating and saying everything)

I will start. I am most excited about receiving Red Spider Plant. (Can't wait. So glad you added that one.)

Tammy/Greenthumbgrow

o
kamil

Kamil I will take a star of bethleham.

Could you give some info on it. whens normally bloom, sun or shade, cold tolerant? I looked it up. It is very pretty.

Tammy

o

Mark - Are you kidding me? We all think you're doing a TERRIFIC job! It's pretty amazing how quickly we're maxing out a thread! I tell you, I keep coming back to this page to refresh, and it's grown every single time I check it! LOL

Tammy (greenthumbgrow) - Allium Aflatunense would totally go with my edible landscape theme. Since there are two bulbs, I'd be happy to share the other with someone and take my chances on getting a good healthy plant with just one bulb.

Blessings,
Angela

o
to: angela

Angela - Allium Aflatunense is yours. They are really big healthy looking bulbs so you should be fine.

OFFERS STILL AVAILABLE:
new - Freesias - (2 offers of 2 bulbs)
new - Allium Aflatunense - (1 bulbs left if anyone would like it)
African Violet Leaf- Purple with yellow stigma - (2 offers left)

o
Re: UPDATE: #2 Now cut that out! Cuttings and bulbs

Okay, I was thinking about it. Would either of you two that are getting 3 bulbs of the peach gladiolus, Mark & zinaray, mind only getting two bulbs, so I can give Chris (growlikecrazy) two bulbs also? She's sending in so much to everyone including me, I hate to turn her down being the 3rd one to request them from me.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Greenthumb,

is the Allium Aflatunense still available? That would be a neat addition. what about the freesia? I would like them if they are.

Angela, that's fine with the glads with me..

Mark

o
mark

Got you down for the Alliun and the freesia.

Tammy

o

greenthumbgrow, may i have freesia & african violet cutting

anglelady, please give Christ the glad bulb

o
update

Zinaray - Will add you for both.

OFFERS STILL AVAILABLE:
African Violet Leaf- Purple with yellow stigma - (1 offers left)

I will be adding more in a couple days as I see how much ICE melts and what else I am able to get to.

Tammy

o

These are requests from the other thread, but I did not have the person's name along with what I would like so I went back to look them up on the spreadsheet. Please let me know if they are available and thank you so much!!!

I hope to get some lemongrass from either ladygreensleeves
or Mark
also hoping for white dutch iris from kamiljablo
bottlebrush, Camellia: Apple Blossom, Mary Alice Cox, and Betty Sheffield, and Azalea: southern indica Formosa and Glendale Pink from ibartoo
pussywillow, Bougainvillea Barbara Karst, Mahonia, and the gold spirea with pink flowers from grolikecrazy
Rose Cuttings: Cecile Brunner, Zephirine Drouhin, Monsieur Tillier, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Melody Parfum, William Lobb, and Brother Cadfel and a Viburnum cutting from cottageflowers
Mark or kamiljablo, I would love a garlic start from either of you...
and Lauder's Walking Stick from poisondartfrog if a cutting is still available

Mark, I will gladly pay postage costs if my box is more expensive than what you think the general size will be for each person. Again, thanks.

Jeanne

o

Greenthumbgrow, may I have one of your blue passionflower cuttings? If I have already asked, please ignore me. I seem to be mentally challenged today.

Mark, I too will pay the difference in postage. It looks as if there will be a tremendous amount of cuttings.

thanks, Linda

o

You guys(gals)have been busy again! I can't keep up with ya'll!

I've added the newest requests, Hope I have them all.

Kamil I added the passionflower and angel trumpet to your list.
Ibartoo added passionflower .
growlikecrazy passionflower, angel trumpet, song of india.
greenthumpgrow a passionflower.
If I missed anyone let me know please.

sassybutterfly would you have any more cuttings of the rosemary left to spare?

Mark I have a couple of different varieties of gingers. I can spare a division of each if your interested.

Regina

o

Sandlapper may i have your blueberries ,Clematis 'Jackmanii",Veilchenblau and Crepscule roses, some Chaste tree cuttings ,some Night blooming cereus ,Kerria japonica 'Golden Guinea' , some Angelwing Begonia ,the holies, and some Donkey's Ears
Sassy i 'd love to have some Red Spider lilies bulbs
greenthumb 1 yucca plant,'common privet' and a voilet please,Blue Passion Flower
Dirtdiggin- I would love both blackberries too please!
Kamil,am i too late for the Misty Rose Anthurium? I'd love some.
It seems there a need for rosemary cuttings, I purchased a rosemary Chrismas tree from Sam's, and now it needs a trim to keep its pyramidal shape, there are tons of new growth. I noticed that the tips had a white powder on them and so i sprayed it thoroughly with a Neem/water solution, , now it looks alright, is it ok to make cuttings from it still for everybody or should we spray it with something else before doing so? Chris

o

Regina, that would be so nice to get the gingers. Thank you. Please don't stress your stock for me though. If it is an extra, then great. thank you again.

Sassy, I guess I am a little confused on the red spiderflower. who is getting them now so I can update the spreadsheet.

May I have a couple cuttings from your rosemary since it seems to be a little more hardy than the one I bought from Walmart. I planted mine outside and it seems to have died.

I have taken the database out of access. Access is having problems when I want to insert a new offer. It is not a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I will resend it to everyone tonight. Please double check it for your offers. Make sure I have who you think you are giving things to... please help me a little? Just check your stuff and I'll correct it.

I have plenty of green elephant ear plants. If the others run out, don't worry. I can supply.

Does anyone want a REAL challenge? I have three varieties of pecan trees: papershell, midget, and standard. You will need to research to see if you want to try it. It is not easy and I will do the pretreatment. I have one hot pad not in use and will start to try and root and then send wrapped in a little peat.

Or,..... I do have some pecan nuts if you want to try. I can send you like 3 or 4 and you can see if they work for you. They are tasty.

I am looking for an "ever blooming" azalea. Those are the ones that bloom a couple times a year, not just one time and be done. Does anyone have those? I hate mine. They bloom for a few days, then nothing but green for the summer.

oh, one more thing.... OUR SCHOOL IS CLOSED! We have black ice today. I get to stay home! Ok, who is more excited, kids or the teacher? LOL

o

Mark I am trying to research the midget pecans and all I can find is that it is the size of the nut, not the tree. I would love to try pecans but don't have space for a 150 ft tree in my yard. I do have space on my land in northern Michigan if they will grow there but it looks iffy. If the midget pecan is a tree I can grow in a pot, I would love to try one.

Congrats on the black ice LOL....it is usually the teachers who are the most excited.

Ladygreensleeves, may I also have the blue passionflower?

Thanks Kim

o

Greenthumb I requested one of your passionflower cuttings earlier as well if there's one still available? thanks!

Mark ~ I have Greenthumb, cottageflowers, rosepedal and yourself down as receiving 2 red spiderlily bulbs each. I can send 1 bulb to grolikecrazy then I'm completely out of any 'extras' on those. and Mark I have you down for several cuttings of my mom's rosemary. It is very hardy, gets frozen repeatedly off and on thru the winter and still stays just lovely and flavorful and green! Also I have one very iffy everblooming azalea.. it was teeny last year and I picked it up at an end of season sale. I could take 1, maybe 2 small cuttings but that's about all it could take. I am just waiting to see how it overwintered here, but if you want to take a chance, I'll send 'em.

Thanks,
Wendy

o
pecans

Kim, the midget pecan is the size of the nut, not the tree. My trees are 70 feet high and more.

o

This is who I currently have down for clippings. Please make sure I have everything recorded for everyone because i think i may have missed writing down a couple.

Kamil - Passion Flower

Plant one on me - Passion Flower

Growlikecrazy - passion flower - Fushia - 2 Rose campion, varigated ivy

Ladygreensleeves - Passionflower

Dan - Passion and Fushia Rosemary, Rose Campion, Zygo Cutting

Zinaray - Fushia, freesia, african violet cutting

dirtdiggin - Passion flower, Fushia (cutting)

Jenny/cottageflowers - Passion flower

Sassybutterfly - Fushia (Cutting), Zygo Cutting, passionflower

ibartoo - zygo cactus, Passion flower

Angelady/Angela - Allium Aflatunense

Mark - Allium Aflatunense, Freesia

BTW
Plant-one-on-me: I was the one with the blue passion flower and I added you down for that. Ladygreensleeve I believe has the red one.

I am going to stop request for me for a couple days until I inventory everything and make sure I have more to offer. I will post a new offer list in a couple days (or sooner) after I count up. There are some more things I would like to give im just not sure how much of each I have.

Tammy

o
revised

OK I think I found the two I missed on the above post. Here is the corrected list. I posted OUT in front of the item if I am out of them.

OFFERS:

9 Blue Passion Flower - Kamil, Plant-one-on-me, Growlikecrazy, Ladygreensleeves, Dan, dirtdiggin, cottageflowers, sassybutterfly, ibartoo, Sassybutterfly

OUT 6 Fushia - Growlikecrazy, Ladygreensleeves, Dan, Zinaray, dirtdiggin (cutting), Sassybutterfly

3 Rose Campion - Growlikecrazy, Dan

3 Varigated Ivy - Growlikecrazy

3 (2 cuttings each)Rosemary - Dan

3 (2 cuttings each) Zyo Cutting - Dan, Sassybutterfly

OUT 2 offersFreesia - Zinaray, Mark

OUT 3 offers - African violet leaf- Zinaray, Sassy, Kamiljablo

OUT 2 offers - Allium Aflatunense - Angelady/Angela, Mark

3 offers - variegated philodendron (was the Unknown Houseplant) - Kamiljablo

OUT 1 offer - Yucca - Kamiljablo

Happy day everyone :-)

o

Tammy can I have:
Rose Campion
Varigated Ivy
Rosemary
Zygo Cuttings

Kamil

o

Mark, if you have any extra of the pecans, I would love to try some. I'll do some research on rooting them, but the preparation would be wonderful :)

Greenthumgrow- May I also have a start of rosemary and verigated ivy?

So far, this is what I have down to send. If I've missed anything for anyone PLEASE let me know.

sassybutterfly - stevia, kiwis, pinot noir, corkscrew willow, both types blackberries, 2 asparagus

ejmoore510 - kiwis

kamiljablo - stevia, kiwi, pinot noir, corkscrew willow, both types blackberries

dan_the_mailman - 5-pinot noir

ladygreensleeves - 3 ea kiwis, 3 pinot noir, 2 - corkscrew willow

markcase1964 - 5 pinot noir, kiwis, both types blackberries several

volunteers for mark - 5 pinot noir

pattygrow5 - kiwis

angelady - pinot noir, stevia, kiwis, 3 each blackberries

ibartoo - kiwis

grolikecrazy - kiwis, pinot noir and stevia, corkscrew willow, both types blackberries

cottageflowers - pinot noir, kiwis, stevia, 2 asparagus

greenthumbgrow - Stevia, kiwis, corkscrew willow, blackberries, asparagus

rosepedal - holland iris

plant-one-on-me - Stevia, 2 pinot noir, 2 ea kiwis

sandlapper_rose - Kiwis, Corkscrew Willow

o

greenthumbgrow,
On the earlier thread you had offered me a blue passionflower. I notice you have sassybutterfly listed twice so maybe you typed her name in the list instead of mine?
If it works out that is great. If not, I understand.

grolikecrazy, As for what you requested from me, some of the things you requested are already spoken for... I can send you Chaste tree, Kerria japonica 'Golden Guinea' and holly.

Mark, I don't know how you keep up with all this. It is confusing to me to just keep up with what I send and receive.

Jeanne

o

Sorry Jeanne that is what i did. Your on there now. I know what u mean I have lost track a couple times. KUDOS to u mark.

dirtdiggin could you add me for 2 pinot noir also

Sending:

9 Blue Passion Flower - Kamil, Plant-one-on-me, Growlikecrazy, Ladygreensleeves, Dan, dirtdiggin, cottageflowers, sassybutterfly, ibartoo, sandlapper_rose

6 Fushia - Growlikecrazy, Ladygreensleeves, Dan, Zinaray, dirtdiggin (cutting), Sassybutterfly

3 Rose Campion - Growlikecrazy, Dan, Kamiljablo

3 Varigated Ivy - Growlikecrazy, Kamiljablo, dirtdiggin

3 (2 cuttings each)Rosemary - Dan, Kamiljablo, dirtdiggin

3 (2 cuttings each) Zygo Cutting - Dan, Sassybutterfly, Kamiljablo

2 offers - Freesia - Zinaray, Mark

3 offers - African violet leaf- Zinaray, Sassy, Kamiljablo

2 offers - Allium Aflatunense - Angelady/Angela, Mark

1 offer - Yucca - Kamiljablo

STILL AVAILABLE:

3 offers - variegated philodendron - Kamiljablo

o

My current list as of 2/3 of offers...

Lignon berry (8) Wendy, Dan, Mark, Angela, grolikecrazy, Kamil

Boston fern (2) Dan, grolikecrazy (gone)

Native plum (unlimited) dirtdiggin, Angela, grolikecrazy

Clematis (4 maybe more) dirtdiggin, greenthumb, Kamil, Ibartoo, sandlapper rose (out)

JFK rose (if still alive) greenthumb, Wendy

Canna (6) grolikecrazy, Mark?, Kamil

Tangerine (2) ladygreensleeves, grolikecrazy--gone

geranium (4) grolikecrazy, Wendy

redtwig dogwood (unlimited) grolikecrazy

mulberry (unlimited)

golden euonmous (6)

5 in 1 apple tree prunings (?)

blueberry (1) Wendy (out)

Would like to add on...

Mark a horseradish and pampas grass (love your idea on the bucket to keep the horseradish in check)

Greenthumbgrows, rosemary if not already asked for

I think this is what I asked for, if they were already gone I missed it and will need to know...

Mark: fig, black widow spiders, garlic

Kamil: canna, carnivore for my granddaughter

Ladygreensleeves: banana, passionflower

Angela: 4:00, houseplant

grolikecrazy: pussywillow, redbud,grapes, carob

Dan: mini rose, pampas grass

Alana: walking stick

Dirtdiggin: kiwi (2 sets), grape, stevia

Wendy: gardenia, jasmine

rosepedal: dahlia, tango geranium, coco loco

ibartoo: gardenia, canna, american beautyberry

cottageflowers: currants, wyoming canna, marshall's delight bee balm

luvgardening2: chocolate and orange mint

If anyone has any...I would like a couple strawberry starts, bay laurel and a companion asparagus for my other one (I did wintersow quite a few and can wait). Anything with the name Jordan in it or ideas on plants that do.

Thanks everyone and please let me know if my list is not correct! Kim

o
growlikecrazy

growlikecrazy. Just updated and I now have you down for African Violet and Blue Passion Flower

I believe it was sassybutterfly that had the common priv.

I only had one yucca baby it was already spoken for. I will look to see if I can find another and will keep it for you if so but I didn't see any earlier.

Tammy / Greenthumbgrow

o

Sandlapper rose , that would be great.
I know it is too hard for me to fugure out who has what from me , /I'm just hoping the big daddy got it all figured out (wait... big daddy isn't bad to say , is it, my kids say it all the time...if it is , sorry, it's Mark i'm referring to, since he's the big chief of this swap)

By the way, Mark, I would love to have all 3 varieties of your pecans please! Chris

And Mark , are you intending that we use the spreadsheet to track the things people want from us, or do we not bother because you have it under control???

o
plant 1

Plant-one-on-me - Got u down 4 the rosemary Could you add me for a native plum, redtwig dogwood

tammy

o

Hi Everyone,

I am using a spreadsheet to keep track of everything. I took it out of access since most everyone does not have access. It is a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I will resend it to everyone tonight. Let me know if it is not correct.

Mark

o

yup yup I've got the privet.. who wanted some?

Thanks Mark for the spreadsheet!!

~Wendy

o

Tammy (greenthumbgrow) - May I also have a cutting of the blue passion flower, please, if there's enough? (I may take this off my list if I get some seeds from the want list swap I was just in.)

Mark - I've looked and looked for info on growing pecans from cuttings and have yet to find anything. I see a bunch about grafting and about growing from seed, but nothing on growing from a cutting.

As for double-checking the spreadsheet, I will certainly do that and post again.

Blessings,
Angela

o

here is the information from the US Forest Service about rooting from cuttings:

Vegetative Reproduction- Rooting experiments with shoot cuttings gave highly variable success rates. The principal variables were time of collection, thickness and origin of cuttings, chemical treatments, and genetic factors. Softwood cuttings are easier to root than hardwood or semi-hardwood cuttings. The time of shoot collection, however, seems most important. Juvenile cuttings, taken about midway of the dormant season and dipped in 10,000 p/m indolebutyric acid, gave 100 percent rooting; adult wood rooted 85 percent under these conditions (31). Shoots derived from adventitious buds root better than other shoots, especially when terminal buds are removed (14). The optimum collection period for pecan cuttings appears to be during mid-rest or after 200 to 400 hours of field chilling below 72 C (45 F) have accumulated. Cuttings collected after 500 hours chilling force buds rather than roots (19). Softwood cuttings may root in 15 days and flush after 35 days (30). Air-layering is also successful in pecans; the timing of this treatment is very essential (25). Pecan can also be regenerated from the stump. If the strongest shoot is trained as the new tree, while the others are removed, vigorous growth will result (40). Commercial cultivars may be propagated by grafting on improved root stocks.

o

plant-one-on-me
I can send you a small cutting of bay laurel. It should be large enough to give you a decent chance of getting it rooted. Sorry I don't have more than that to offer to the group. I have had the plant for a few years but it was tiny to begin with.
I will try to send a strawberry or two to you as well. They aren't doing much this time of the year but hopefully I can find a young plant or a runner to send your way.
Glad you thought to ask about those.
I think those of you who posted a list of what you had promised had a good idea. I will try to do that tomorrow. I don't know if it is the change in the weather or I caught something but I have been sneezing all day and my nose needs a bucket under it from how runny it is. Hopefully it is just a one-day thing.
Jeanne

o

Okay, first, Mark, I was able to access part of the worksheet, but not all of it. I'm using Paula's computer since mine died so I'm still learning what all is on it. I'll keep trying. You're doing a great job, so thank you!

Secondly, I'm am sooo pissed off and disappointed right now! The bulbs I had were outside and froze, so I brought them in to thaw them out. Well, tonight I was going to organize them and post them as offers, but they've all turned to mush! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! I am so ticked off with myself I could just about scream, but what would that accomplish other than scaring the cats out of their wits???
Anyone want mashed potatoes made of various types of rotten, squishy flower bulbs?
***sigh***

On a hopeful note, I'm going to try to root up some more mandevillas to offer up to you guys. Keep your fingers crossed.

-Dan

o

well so far I've kept pretty good track lol...it's been crazy with wants and supplies....I was serious...it's as bad as my little one in a candy shop!!

Greenthumbgrow - Have you down for 2 pinot noir

On the unlimiteds for me, please be sure to ask. If anyone else would like stevia, I should be able to take 4 more starts before the end of the swap, so please let me know so I can do some more starts.

o
Purple Coneflower Seeds

Dirt, could I have one start of stevia? You've all been raving about it so much, you've got me convinced too!

I know this is supposed to all be cuttings and bulbs, but I'm going to offer up 15 offers of purple coneflower seeds anyway. If anyone wants some seeds, let me know. Hope this is okay with you Mark! Forgive me for not asking? Oh, to be fair to the whole group, I'm gonna ask that everyone just asks for one packet of seeds. And don't worry, there will be plenty of seeds in each packet!
Purple Coneflower Pictures, Images and Photos

o

aww Dan that sucks!! :( I lost a few iris bulbs that way too during the move....
I would like some of the coneflower if Mark ok's it.. sounds like you have a surplus! The biggest flower on the bottom of the pic (in the middle) looks almost like it has a heart in it :) Is this one a perennial?

Hugs to you Dan,
Wendy

o

Dan sorry about the bulbs...I have to say I did the same thing with a huge box of cannas. I remembered to bring in 1 box and the other was too heavy and dh "forgot" to bring those in...he just doesn't understand :-(
Oh, the pictures of the flowers are beautiful. I love my purple coneflowers. I am in for birthday seeds this month on another swap and hope maybe to get a few seeds of coneflowers other than the purple and blackeyed susans (there has to be a benefit to getting older lol).

Tammy, got you down for the dogwood and plum

Jeanne, thanks so very much for the bay laurel, I love bay in my soups and for the strawberry if possible, even 1 or 2 will eventually produce many more :-)

Mark, you are so right in that we are worse than children in a candy shop except we can divide and share later. BTW, I think Jaynine dropped out on the first string of messages but I still see her listed...can anyone else verify? And again, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to not only organize this swap but to box up all the plants later...we all know what a huge effort this has been.

Kim

o
purple coneflower seeds

Wendy, even if Mark doesn't okay it, I'll see that you get some coneflower seeds. I'll just mark them with your name, and then just tell him to give them to you with your cuttings. I don't see him having a problem with it though, do you? I mean, it's Mark we're talking about, lol!

Kim, if you'd like some "new blood" in your coneflowers, let me know and I'll send some along for you too.

o

No! No seeds! No way! Nope..... uh huh.... wellllllll......

Ok... LOL!

Hey, why not. Go for the seeds too. Maybe someone else will join us if we allow seeds...

Yes, Jaynine dropped out. I kept her in trying to entice her to come back. she emailed me that she dropped so I have removed her now. So, we don't have the offers she had.

Mark

o

Thanks Dan, I could use some new blood. My coneflowers are at my old home that my daughter now lives in. I planted those suckers about 20 years ago along with milkweed hoping to attract monarchs. No luck for me but the year after I move out, the flowers literally had swarms of 30 to 50 or more butterflies on them. People were coming from all over to take pictures...go figure. Well I am taking a couple back but how much you want to bet I don't get the butterflies.

I have a really ugly corner with an even uglier telephone pole right in plain view in this new yard. I am going to plant something growing up the pole, probably some morning glories and then underplant with butterfly and bee attracting flowers. I am doing mostly fruit and vegetables in this new home (for now) but I'll bet the entire yard eventually gets filled up...much to dh's dismay. If he had his way we would nothing but grass. I tell him he is nuts and if he didn't have to cut the grass he would have even more time to golf. Poor guy knows that I just kinda add a little more here and a little more over there and eventually I have thousands of sq feet in plants. My old home had flowers down the sidewalk 230', across the back 100', back down the side, around the house, around the garage and around every tree. There were flowers in pots and spots and every thing else in between. Some day they will migrate to this yard...little by little lol.

Kim

o

Kim. my DH says the same thing thats all I hear about everytime I add a bed, a pond, a pot and spot. I hear about how looong its going to take to mow around and take to weed wack around each thing. ***I know secretly he really loves my flowers though. He just hasn't figured it out yet***

Dan - I would love some of the coneflowers. BTW if you get the manivilla to root please mark one for me. I LOVE these. Dan you will the stevia I had it a while back and LOVED it but mine died (I didn't know about not letting it go to seed - Now I do)

I am also looking for other color coneflowers if anyone has any to offer. I had about 20 seeds of white swan coneflower that i just winter sowed. i was scared to do it because it was my first year wsing and I am worring about my seeds.

I don't have many seeds of the ones i reallly want because I got most of them in the secret santa but I am trusting that they will be alright.

Now that we are opening seeds up to this I may be able to offer a couple other things that I harvested from last year... I will check the box and see whats left.

What was Jaynine's username I think I had something from her written down but I used her username. I would like to remove it...

sassy - I believe growlikecrazy was wanting the privy.

angelady - I added you for a blue passion flower but I have to stop with you. Because I don't want to cut too much from it.

o

Sure Dan, I'll put your name on one of the stevia starts :)

o
question...

I was looking at the spreadsheet and there are a couple things I must have missed or forgot to request...

Mark
Is your pampas grass white or pink variety? If its the pink could I be added. Also can you add me for elephant garlic and
lucky bamboo.

Rosepedal - Can I add the apple geranium, dahlia uniwin

cottageflowers - Mock orange, marshals delight bee balm,
blackberry

zinaray - star of beth

ibartoo -
Cameillia: Apple blossom, Japonica: grace albritton, Japonica: Mary Alice Cox, Japonica: Betty Sheffield, Carolina Jessamine, Lady Banks rose cutting, Lantana - New gold

grolikecrazy - red poker flower

o

Dan - I'm so sorry about your bulbs! That is heartbreaking!

Tammy - Thanks for putting me down for the blue passionflower. I understand if you run out before you get to me when you go to clipping it, okay? I don't want you to clip too much off it, either! I'll let you know if I happen to get in any seeds for it, too, so you can take me off the potential receive list for it.

Mark - Well, we didn't want the propagation forum people here if they're going to be like that anyways!

Also, I looked over the spreadsheet. Here's the adjustments that I noticed:
1. On the Crassula, I think zinaray asked for some.
2. On the Peach Gladiolus, I have zinaray down for one offer.

I also wanted to thank you, Mark, and zinaray for letting me give a bulb each to Chris (grolikecrazy) of the peach gladiolus. That was very nice of you two!

I still have several more cuttings available of the pink crepe myrtle bush and the indestructible houseplant that just recently got a name. I won't know if I have any more of the 4:00's until I dig them up this weekend. I'll post again then in regards to them. I also hope to have more Crassula soon along with something more to put up for new offers. I may not have many shares available of the new offers, so I may not be able to give them to everyone who wants some. Isn't it hard to know someone wanted something you had, and you just ran out?

Also, Mark, I was wondering if everyone who put up offers is checking the thread to accept things they want? Does it seem like they are to you?

Blessings,
Angela

o

Okay, I got curious, so looked through the list extensively. I guess the two people I'm referring to here are (Alana) poisondartfrog and (Nancy) luvgardening2. Does anyone have the full list of all the wants that aren't yellow in like a text format? Maybe if we email them with that list, they could just pick some things. It might be that they just can't keep up with the threads going as fast as they have. What are your thoughts, Mark?

Blessings,
Angela

o

Greenthumb, my pampas grass is the white one. sorry...

Angela, I hope everyone is checking. I am doing my best to keep up, and have several corrections both by email and this threat. so, THANK YOU for getting me straight everyone!

Not sure what you you mean about Alana and Nancy...

o

Angela,
You are correct in that I have not been able to follow this thread! I try to read three or four of the most recent posts every day or two but I am wandering in the wilderness vis a vis this swap.
If your concern is that I have not selected anything from the wonderful offerings folks have posted, the reason is that I won't be requesting anything this time around. I wait for semi-ripes in late summer/early fall because it suits my time and space better and many of the things I like to grow respond well to that treatment.
I am not even going to try to keep up, but will rely on Mark's spreadsheet to tell me what to send in.
Thanks for looking out for me!
Alana

o

Alana - Oh, I'm so glad to hear from you! I was concerned that you weren't selecting from what was offered!

Nancy - Please, do check in and pick out a few more things! You hardly have anything picked out for yourself! What are you looking for? Do you know? Maybe you could put up a few wishes and we can see if we can help fill some of them....

Mark - Thanks again for all the hard work you're putting into this. It really has been hard to keep up with. To be honest, I can't imagine how crazy it would be with more players than we have. It's already pretty busy with things flying to everyone... :-D... Now, that is crazy in a good way, though!

Blessings,
Angela

o

jaynine
If you have cuttings available from any of your scented geraniums, please tag them with my name. I love scented geraniums! Thank you so much.

o

Hey everyone, Should I cut these now and start trying to root them, or should I send unrooted cuttings?
Mark, I got the spreadsheet to come through on a different computer and everything looks good, I think I did request a canna wyoming though. ( I can't remember now who offered those)

Also if anyone else wants privet, I have tons
also eleagnus angustifolia, Russian olive. ( tons of those too.)

Thanks, Linda

o

Mark - Unless the spreadsheet is sent as an attachment, it doesn't come through for me. Not sure why, but it looks like a whole lot of these...

//////////////////////////////////

So, when you send again, would you mind sending mine as an attachment again? Thanks so much. Sorry to be a pest but I do want to make sure I have everyone down for everything.

Thanks so much.

o

Sandlapper,

which geraniums did you want?

I have updated all the corrections from this tread and from emails. I will resend again on Friday.

Dirt, I will try one more time sending it to you through Yahoo. If it does not work this time, I will go through AOL. It is coming as an attachment, but not working for some reason.

Mark

o
Rooting Hormone

Hi all, I read in one of the RR posts - well it's the propagation RR - About Dip N Grow. I hadn't heard of it before, but wonder if it is indeed better than the powder form of rooting hormone. In reading info on it, I see it has an alcohol base which they say stops bacterial growth and it claims to immediately flow into the stem cutting, which the powders don't.

Does anybody have any input on this?

I've ordered some online, and figured I'd try it out on the woody cuttings. If it works better and we have a better chance of more rooted cuttings then it deserves a WOOOOHOOO..if not well it's not a big deal lol.

o

It came through fine this time Mark - Thanks :)

o

Mark -
I think these are scented geraniums on jaynine's list:
Chocolate Mint
True Rose
Skeleton Rose
Fair Ellen
Thanks!
Jeanne

o

Ok, Jaynine dropped out of the swap for this time. She said it was too cold for her.

Mark

o

Mark,

I was out of apple scented geranium cuttings too up in the post. :( Barb

o

mark do you still have the 2 kinds of hens and chicks available? If so could you put me down for a couple please.

plant-one-on-me would you please add a geranium to the tangerine I asked for. Somewhere between the original thread and this one I got omitted for the geranium.

dirtdiggin, I found a couple more stevia plants yesterday. I planted them up in a larger pot when I got home with them. Today I took cuttings from them. I got a total of 14 cuttings. I got them in the propagator now with bottom heat. I cut and dipped them in the rooting hormone, stuck 2 to a pot,just checked them and none are wilty....yea!
Wanted to say Thanks so much for your advice and help.

Regina

o

YAY ladygreensleeves!!! Sounds like you'll have a great batch of stevia!!! Just don't let them go to seed and you'll have a wonderful crop. Have you tasted a leaf yet??? All you need to do is pop one in your mouth and you'll see just how sweet they are.

Just checked my cuttings and all my little cuttings have new growth!!!! Wooohooo each of you will have some healthy growing starts!!!

o

WooHooo! That's great news for ALL of us stevia lovers! I really enjoyed the info you posted, too, Toni. I am saving it for reference. I am especially glad to know that about not letting it go to seed. Is it easy to keep as a houseplant? I have a friend growing it outside, but I would prefer to have mine in the house... maybe I'll have some in both places someday! :-D

Blessings,
Angela

o
stevia indoors...

As long as it has light and a little food every so often, it grows beautifully inside. Heck mine has spent the past couple of months in the bathroom lol. It does love outdoor sun though, so don't deprive it in the summer.

o

If someone has an extra stevia plant, may I ask for one? My seeds are not doing well and my two year old plant is not giving me any growth back this time. I was hoping it would give me more to get some new cuttings. Had a mishap with my crop during Dec.

Mark

o

Sure Mark, I have an extra rooting. I'll keep one with your name on it :)

o

That is so exciting to hear that the Stevias are doing so well w/ the prop. techniques! I know they are soo difficult to grow from seed. Very exciting to think we'll have stevias that each of us can continue to propogate and increase our yields. Goodbye white sugar! Hello Stevia!

heh I'm so corny..

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Not corny sassy. I have been trying to get stevia for a while I even mail ordered it one time and it came sooo bedraggled It didn't even make it in the pot I just tossed it. Seeds I could never get to germ on that one.

(Most the stuff I ordered that time was bad, I wouldn't order from them again for live plants, seeds Maybe)

I will be sooo excited to get the stevia. I have tasted it before and LOVED it my little girl who was 3.5 at the time kept wanting to eat the plant she liked it so much.

She will be 5 in July and she loves garding just like me. (I started her early) This year she is getting her own little bed to do what she wants with. She took one of my catalogs and a black marker and circled all the stuff she wanted. I think her list was longer than mine. She just planted some cypress vines Pink and white in a peat pot and told me we were going to put them on the pole for the birdhouse.

Shes got it all planned.

Tammy

o

I do wish my daughter would take on my interest in gardening!! I've pretty much got her talked into helping me w/ the memorial garden in honor of her gramma/my mom.. I think she'll 'get it' when she finally sees a flower come from a seed she helped plant. Then again, I had noooo interest whatsoever in gardening when I was a kid either.. maybe it's just something that has to 'grow' on you.. I'm full of the corny remarks today eh? heh

I've used the stevia powder, but never even SEEN a live stevia plant..lol I've tried to grow from seed for years w/ no luck. So I am seriously stoked about the stevia cuttings! :)

~Wendy

o

If anyone still has a stevia plant or cutting available, please mark one for me. I use stevia but have never had a stevia plant. I will be trying to grow it from seed this year but with the comments above, maybe a plant or cutting will be a good idea.
Mark, I totally understand about Jaynine and the geraniums. I wondered about them being sent in the cold weather. Seems like the woody things are more likely to make it.
Thanks!
Jeanne

o

This was the funnest swap yet. I am thinking of hosting a seed swap just haven't decieded when, but was thinking of using this method where everyone picks what they want so you know what you are getting.

Thanks for hosting this Mark.

I will be adding a coule more things in a day or so once I see how well a couple of my others are doing.

tammy

o

Does anyone bychance have any witchhazel for cutting? I just saw that in a garden magazine and .. WOW.. Just fig I'd ask!

Thanks,
Wendy

o

Okay, I'm confused. I've lost track of what's available and what I've asked for. But, the good thing is that I've managed to keep track of what I'm sending in for everyone. The spreadsheets were a great idea, but I can't get them to work on my computer. Ah well, life goes on, the sun is shining, and we're all still breathing, right? LOL!

And Wendy? Don't worry about being corny. We are what we eat, and I don't know of anyone who doesn't like some fresh corn on the cob!

sun Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Yes, I'm very excited about the stevia in particular, too! It was my biggest want. I spend way too much on that stuff. It's one of the few things I "splurge" financially on for myself and the family. I'm sure I'd save at least $25 a month if I grew several plants. We use it in all our drinks for our family and in other things that call for sugar. I just refuse to use sugar as much as humanly possible. My husband is the only one that doesn't like the taste in everything. He doesn't like it in coffee, but will drink it in tea and other things.... weird, huh? LOL

Dan - I got my program that opens Excel files at OpenOffice.org for free. I have used it for years and years. I found out about it when I needed to open Word documents, and I didn't have the Word program. It's really pretty cool as a replacement for all those expensive Microsoft programs. I have even used it for numerous business endeavors. It's awesome and fully functional, not a trial.

Blessings,
Angela

o

sandlapper_rose I'll mark a stevia plant for you.

o

I second the recommendation of the Openoffice.org up above. It's a great program if you don't have the regular word/excel programs!

I'm a sugar and seedaholic... so maybe the stevia will cure me of my addiction to sugar anyways... :)

~Wendy

o

Yah, Wendy, that would be good! I promise it won't cure the seed addiction, though... LOL

Blessings,
Angela

o

I have been telling everyone in emails to use the openoffice.org programs. I have office on my laptop, only because it came with the laptop. the rest of my house is on openoffice programs.

Ok, time for a new round of offerings. I'll go look around my school for some things.....

o

Okay, you've convinced me, I'm downloading the program now, will let you know if it works for me. I've got the Word programs on this pc, but they're just not doing the trick.
still installing...

okay, I've got it! Now, tomorrow or Saturday, I'll look at it and figure it out! Thanks for the help!

-Dan

o

LOL....at Wendy, your not corny,your sweet as always....Dans the corny one...planting corn this time of year in Mich. Think he's been in some of those wierd weeds again......Hehehe.

dirtdiggin....I dried some of the leaves from the stevia and tried a piece today and was amased at how sweet it was. I checked the new starts and they looked pretty good. I made my own bio-digradeable little pots too,using the cardboard paper towel rolls. Got 4 per roll. With any luck maybe I can offer some of my starts too. This is such an amazing plant.
Do you just dry the leaves and crumble them up. Use a dehydrator, mortor and pestle.....any thoughts for best ways?

Also looking back thru the threads would anyone be interested in small yucca plants? I have 12 small yucca's that would like a new home. These will grow to a good size and will have sharp spines to poke anyone or anything that gets up against them(just thought I should warn anyone with children and/or pets), but are not the spanish bayonet. They will eventually flower with a long spike of white flowers that turn into baby plants,or a seed pod.

Regina

o

Regina,

I would love a yucca!

As far as stevia, I harvest a "stem" of leaves when they get like 12 inches long and hang them to dry in my kitchen. (yea, during the summer and fall, my kitchen looks like an old fashion Italian kitchen with things hanging from the ceiling). I hang them till they are dry and then crumble the leaves by hand.
I let my plants grow, then cut them back several times a season. I get about 1/2 pound leaves from each plant this way.

Mark

o

Ladygreensleeves, I have you down for the geranium...not sure how you got deleted.

Dan I know I have you down for a boston fern and lignon berry.

Just a quick check in, rough day at work. I had a patient that was so sick there was me and another nurse helping me out...I think I just need to go to bed.

Kim

o

Thanks Kim.....easy enough to overlook with all the goodies available.

Anyone else want a yucca besides Mark?

Regina

o

Regina - I don't bother with the dehydrator. The stevia leaves are so thin, I just clip the plant off and hang it upside down (after I've taken sufficient starts for the following year) to dry. You can break leaves up small and steep like tea or grind them into powder as long as you don't mind the green little pieces. Heck my son actually pinches it off and munches on it fresh.

Woule love to have a yucca plant.

:) Toni

o

I've also read that you can boil the leaves whole with whatever you're making to drink and it sweetens the whole batch, like tea or coffee. I have tried munching on a leaf fresh, and it's too much for me like that! LOL

NEW OFFER:
Dragonfruit cuttings (2 small offers of one cutting each)

PLEASE, check to see if this plant will grow in your area/zone before accepting the offer. I'd like to see these go to a home where they won't die. These will most likely be just around 3" cuttings. My plant is very small still and has grown by about 50% just in the last month. The are suppose to be very easy to grow from cuttings. You clip them and "cure" them. Curing them is just leaving them out without too much sun to dry where they were cut, and just like that, they will produce roots. Of course, I'm not promising anything as I do not know how well the new start will grow for you.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Oh my son would LOVE the dragonfruit. May I please have a cutting?

o

Absolutely, Toni! I think they'd grow great there for you and your son. You will need to provide winter protection as it cannot handle freezes without it. I provided a link with pictures and information below. I do hope you enjoy it... It's a really cool plant!

Blessings,
Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragon Fruit Info for Growing & Pictures

o

OH, my goodness! You guys are NOT going to believe this... I TOTALLY messed up! I have this little guy in my "propagation" window which is too high to see since I'm short unless I get up there and stand on a chair... LOL... anyways, there's a whole 'nother "branch" that has come off this wonderful beauty and it's almost as long as the first one! I can send a total of four of these cuttings out right now as we speak. I might can send more if it keeps growing at this pace! I'll reserve one for Mark, in case he has the ability to overwinter it, so there are still 2 more available at the moment! Yea! Who can take on overwintering these awesome, easy to grow babies/cuttings? Do we have 2 more takers? :-)

Blessings,
Angela

o

Wow, Angela, that would be so cool. My son would love the dragonfruit. Thank you for thinking of me for that.

Mark

o

Is it too late to join in on the fun?/ If not, does smeone have a list of what is still available. If so if you could post it. I wil walk around Saturday and Sunday as all the snow and ice finally melts and mke a list of all I have to offer. I knowI can do some cuttings of african violets, but I can't tell you what will bloom what color. I will check but I have a pink, purple and purple/whte, but my aughte rearranged them around christmas and they are not blooming thisminute soI am unsure. I also have plain green spider plants. I can also get a few rhizomes for siberian iris, and I think my clematis-jackmanjii will have started grening up a little, . I am unsure of what else I have to offer until Iwalk around. Let me know if can still join and what is still available. I would love some rosemary and stevia cuttings. Oh, I have yucca,too. Thanks Nichol

o
dragon fruit

Angela, I know for sure the dragon fruit will die off in our winters but I was wondering if it would live long enough to set fruit. I treat many of my plants, such as the geranium, as houseplants in the winter and plant outside in the very early spring with lots of protection. If I dragon fruit cuttings each fall and over wintered them I could plant outside as well. If you think this would work, I would love to have a cutting.

Kim

o

Nichol if you do end up joining I'd be more than happy to share some rosemary with you!! :)

~Wendy

o
remaining offers for Kim/plant-one-on-me

gardenmom2/Nichol

Hi I hope you can join us. I still have a few things available to offer.

redtwig dogwood cuttings (unlimited)
lignon berries (2 offers)
geranium (2 red)
mulberry (unlimited)
golden eunymous (6)
apple tree prunings (not sure)
canna bulb (dark gree/burgundy leaves salmon flower)(4)

I also have a new offer: geranium unknown name but has a pretty pink flower (1 cutting)

Kim

o

If there is still a dragonfruit cutting available, I would love one. Thanks, Angela!
Jeanne

o

gardenmom2,may i have a cutting of each african violet
plant one on me, nay i have a canna blub & a geranium cutting with pink flowers
anglelady, may i have a cutting of your dragonfruit

o

gardenmom2 - I'll be starting another batch of stevia cuttings this weekend, so I'll put you down for one. :)

I also have Male and Female Kiwi Cuttings, Pinot Noir grape, Corkscrew Willow, Alpine or wild strawberry, Holly,
himalayian blackberry and evergreen blackberry if you are interested.

o

Kim - My understanding is from stem cuttings being planted outside (MUCH faster than growing from seed), your plant will take 6 months to even flower, then from there another 45 days or so to set fruit. I just do not think it'll do well for you in your zone. I'm sorry, Kim... I wish everyone could grow every plant!

For those getting Dragon Fruit, here's some more information. It grows out through numerous stems that have roots dangling off them. It's preferable that you stake the plant to a trellis and train it up it. It will make harvesting the fruit MUCH easier. Although, it's easy to grow, you have to really be on top of this plant to get fruit. The flowers open at night for only one night, I believe, and must be pollinated then or that flower will not develop a fruit. You also must be very careful of its spines that are certainly not as bad as some cacti, but you will have to wear protection to attach it to the trellis and harvest fruit.

Now for those not in zone 11 (I think all of us), it will need some kind of winter protection. It can be quite spreading, so it might be larger, although it can be pruned to specific shapes/sizes. Just keep in mind some plants, after several years, spread out to 20' long. I don't figure any of ours will get that big as we will have to keep them pruned and protected. If you're in a higher zone, like me, you might could protect it outside by covering the trellised area for overwintering outside. I think this might be more feasible than trying to overwinter inside every year, unless you have a way to get the trellis and pot that the plant is in inside the hosue or garage. I just want you all to know what you're getting into if you're trying to push your zone on this one, is all. I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts...

Blessings,
Angela

o

I'll have to double check on mark's form to see if i do have stavia and the kiwis, pinoy noir corkscrew and strawberries, blackberries from dirt recorded there, because I'd really hate missing out on those!!!
And I also wanted to announce that i have 3 WSo containers with sprouting!!!! Yeah!!! Of course i could have guessed, #1 was champion collards, #2 was siberian kale, #3 russian kale !! I'm so worried about the flats of sprouted zinnias and others stuff into my little greenhouse on rollers because i needed more room in the sunroom to maneuver. It's been 2 nights out so fat and they are still chipper,green , the artichokes are the biggest in the lot, I'm not too worried about them as I am worried about the 6 inch tall zinnias and the almost sprouted cobeas ans such... cross my fingers. Chris

o

Kim - I forgot to mention that I'm going to leave it up to you as you were one of the first 4 that responded for a cutting. It is a cool plant, even if it doesn't fruit. I really like it just as is. It can really look neat the way it branches out and spreads. I've never seen a plant that looked like this... If you do choose you want it, please, let us all know.

For anyone else who wants some who may not get one right now, I am almost sure I'll have a couple more cuttings available. I just didn't want to put them up as an offer if I wasn't 100% sure.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Angela I kinda figured out the dragon fruit might not make it to fruit in my area so feel free to pass it along...it was worth asking :)

dirtdiggin, I missed the strawberries, could I get a couple of each if you have any left?

Thanks Kim

o
Clematis Seed

As long as Mark said it was okay to put up seeds too, I just received a baggie of mixed clematis seeds. I'll put 10 offers up for this swap. They are a mix of pink, lavender, deep purple, rose and some autumn clematis.

o

I have these players down for a Dragon Fruit so far:
dirtdiggin
markcase1964
sandlapper_rose
zinaray

The offer is now closed temporarily! I will post again when I see enough new growth that I know I can offer more!

Nichol (gardenmom2) - WELCOME to this very fun and awesome swap! I know you'll be glad you joined! I still have cuttings available of dwarf pink crepe myrtle, Crassula lycopoidiodes, and an indestructible variegated houseplant (I do have the name somewhere on this, if interested). I will soon most likely be able offer more pink Four o' clock tubers and Dragon Fruit as well, if you want to keep checking the thread for updates.

Chris (grolikecrazy) - Your wintersowing sounds like fun! I can't wait to get a few done myself. This will be my first year. I'm not doing very many as it's kind of a test for me.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Kim - Have you down for strawberries.

o

Welcome aboard gardenmom2! Check your inbox. I emailed the database of what is still available as of 6:00 AM this morning.

Mark

o

dirtdiggin ~ I'd love to try the clematis seeds, ty for the offer! :)

~Wendy

o

Thanks for the strawberries dirtdiggin!

Kamil guess what!?! I found a large 8" purple pitcher plant on clearance at Lowe's today for only $1. I would never have even looked at it if you didn't offer them here. I am thinking this will be fun to grow.

Kim

o

dirtdiggin - I'd Love to try the clematis seeds also. I LOVE clematis. Thanks soo much.

Tammy

o

Wendy & Tammy, Got you down for clematis seed :)

There is a website dedicated to starting clematis from seed. I'll post it below. It's quite interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Website

o
rooting magnolia

We had some questions about rooting magnolia. I was able to visit with the USDA Forest Service research lab tech. He told me that magnolia cuttings root best from fresh summer cuttings. If you want to attempt it from winter cuttings, he said to use much stronger compound with bottom heat. Expect very low rooting, about 20%.

If anyone wants to try it, I have plenty of magnolia to share. HUGE white, very fragrant blooms.

Mark

o

Dirt, could you throw some corkscrew willow my way? I just did some research on it, and found out it is also known as Tortuosa or Dragon's Claw Willow, which would make it perfect for my Halloween-themed garden...

Has anyone ever tried wisteria in a bonsai project? I've got a couple that I'm using in one I want to look like a miniature forest...

o

lol Sure Dan. I'll put you down for some corkscrew willow.

o

Request... I am already down for a stevia. However I was telling my mom about (who is a fanatic about tea) and asked if I might be able to get her one (she is diabetic and don't use sugar in her tea anymore and usually gets the powder at the health food store). I told her I would ask if there was an extra one at the end of the swap I would request it but don't want to take two if someone else here wanted it.

So could someone who has an extra stevia write it down for me (that would make two for me) but if someone else requests it from the forum please release it to them.

Thanks everyone. I told her I would ask so now I will let her know she might be getting one.

Tammy

o
Sevia

Tammy- I have no problem rooting another. I'd be happy to help out with your mom.

o
Stevia

Oh sorry...Forgot to post that it's stevia I'm rooting for you Tammy....lol And I misspelled it in the subject lol

o

Wow thats awsome Kim! If I only had a way to get to Lowes...Now, it is probably to late to put it threw dormancy so I suggest you repot it into a peat moss/perlite/long fibered sphagnum moss mixture. Then place it in a dish of 1" of rain water in your brightest window. Later in the spring you can set the entire pot outside, and basically just keep it in water and it will grow, and you can even leave them outside all year since they are native to Canada. Who knows MAYBE it will even bloom! Man I envy you Kim!

Kamil

o

Welcome gardenmom glad you decided to join us. I still have some cutting from my angel trumpet,gardenia,cherry jubilee,song of india and some baby yucca plants still available. I would be interested in a some cutting of your jackmanjii if availble please.

angelady if another cutting becomes available from your dragonfruit may I please have one too.

dirtdiggin...how big is your stevia plant that you can take cutting so often....must be huge. Checked the cuttings I took today and they are doing good.

Regina

o

Thanks Dirt. I appreciate it and I know she definately will.

Tammy

o

Regina - No problem! You got it. Your in the best zone for it, too, out of everyone so far.

Blessings,
Angela

o

ladygreensleeves - I have 6 parent stevia plants that have multiple branches and they are growing about 1.5-2 inches per week. I have them in the upstairs heated bathroom and they are just starting to thrive.

o

OK. All of you are so great. Here is what I have so far. I have ladygreensleeves down for a clematis cutting and zinaray for a cutting f each african violet.

I would like:
plant-one-on-me: red twi dogwood, red geranium, mulberry, gold eunymous, salmon canna, pink geranium.

dirtdiggin: corkscrew willow, strawberries, holly, and both blackberries

angellady: crepe myrtle (could I get a couple if you have enough), crassula lyco (whatever it is :) ) and4 oclock tubers

ladygreensleeves: angel trupet, gardenia, cherry jubilee and song of india.

I am now off to look at the doc. you set me with everyone's listings and will post more wants later. Hopefully, I will be able to walk around and find more I can offer but i am not sure. Thanks Nichol

o

Ok. My list is HUGE and I really feel bad that I don't have much to offer in return. If someone does not hve something, that is ok. I hope to offer more in a couple days but here is my grocery list:

greenthumb: rosemary, vari. ivy, blue passion flower and var. philoden.

luvgardening2: raspberry cutting, and the following mints: choc., common, peppermint, orange,apple and varigated. (These were on my wish list and I am very excited to get any of them if not all :)

sandlapper: japonica, holly, st. john wort

grlikecrazy: pussywillow, forsythia, red twig dogwood, redbud-2 if avail, anjou pear, each bouganvillea, honeysuckle, fr. lilac, dbl mock orange, gold spirea, blue budleia, new dawn climb. rose, shef. chrysanthemum, any daffodils and tulips

zinaray narcissus, fall crocus and dofodils

ibartoo: honeysuckle, lantana, camillia, red oleander, privett (couple if avail.)

someone had purple canna, unwins dahlia and fuschia cactus

someone had hensnchicks, jade, lantana, white/pink christmas cactus, yellow butterfly bush, mock orange, viburnum, bee balm, canna and catmint

Mark Case: white/green spider plant, dogwood, forsythia, pampass grass, lemon grass, christ. cactus, garlic,

dirdiggin: holland iris, asparagus

sassybutterfly: jasmine vine, azaleas, dwf crepe mytle, ivy, bamboo, rosemary, azalea, mnkey grass

kamilijablo: pnk rose, climb. rose-pink and red, garlic, forsythia, canna, white iris, star of beth., spanish bluebells,

Dan: burning bush

lady greensleeves: bouganvillea: couple (I will overwinter in my NEW greenhouse my husband is building me>

If anyone has rose cuttings, I would take 1. I am starting a rose bed. If anyone has specal instruc. for their cuttings,please email me b/c I have only rooted a cpl things. I would love help and suggestions.

poisondartfrog: weigela, hydrangea, walk stcdk, shrub rose

o

Gardenmom I have you down fro the purple canna and christmas catus fushia...Have a great day everyone :)

o

Zinary I have you down for the pink geranium

gardenmom2, I have you down for the red geranium, red twig dogwood, eunymous and canna, the pink geramium is already spoken for

Kamil, if I happen to get back to Lowe's and there are any carnivors left do you want me to pick one up for you?

Kim

o

Oh yes please please please!!!!

Thank you so much!

Kamil

o

Nichol (gardenmom2) - I have your name down for all 3 of those you requested. As for not having much, I was surprised that I had enough things that I could share myself. I also got a couple things that I wanted and got enough to share here. Everyone has been so generous, I'm just in awe. I wish I could offer even more! (I do have a couple more things up my sleeve, but I wish I could offer even more than those!)

Wendy (sassybutterfly_2008) - I've been mulling over that jasmine you offered. I really would like some evergreen vines. May I have a couple cuttings of your jasmine, please? It sounds wonderful. I was curious what color the blooms are on it. I see them in white and yellow on my searches. Both are very pretty.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Kim, count me in on that pitcher plant find if there are any left! Please.... :)

Ok, new offerings

pear cactus. I have unlimited cuttings. Yellow flower and the fruit is VERY sweet Makes a great marmalade. Cactus can be eaten too. Cut the needles off, slice like green beans and cook like green beans.

weeping cherry tree. unlimited cuttings. It will have about 50% success at this time of year with regular rooting hormone. Much higher success with stronger hormone.

coralberry. I will send bare root plants. I can get about 20 of them.

Mark

o

Mark Can I have:
pear cactus
weeping cherry tree
coralberry

Kamil

o

Mark I would love a couple of cuttings of the Pear Cactus, weeping cherry tree and coralberry if I can please?

o
RE: UPDATE.: #2 Now cut that out! Cuttings and bulbs

Mark Can I have:
pear cactus
weeping cherry tree
coralberry

Kamil

o

weeping cherry tree (can I have 3 cuttings?)
coralberry

Thanks, Mark!

Blessings,
Angela

o

I apologize, Mark, actually please just put me down for a coralberry. I thought the weeping cherry was an actual fruit tree. It is VERY pretty, though. I am just planting fruit trees here is all.

Blessings,
Angela

o

Mark can I have some pear cactus, weeping cherry and coralberry. If I get to Lowe's I will pick up a couple extra carnivores...I'll let you and Kamil know.

Kim

o

Mark, I would love some pear catus, weeping cherry and coralberry.. Thank you guys for being so generous to this newby.

o

Mark Thanks for the new offers! I would love to try the pear catus for my gh. That is gonna be neat :) Thank you Mark....Barb

o
RE: UPDATE: #2 Now cut that out! Mark Cuttings and bulbs

Mark Thanks for the new offers! I would love to try the pear catus for my gh. That is gonna be neat :) Thank you Mark....Barb

o

Mark,
I would love a cutting of the pear cactus and weeping cherry tree. Thank you.
I just came in from planting pansies and some things in the garden are sprouting so maybe I can fine a few more things to offer.
gardenmom2 - I will be happy to send kerria japonica, holly, and St. John's wort. Glad you are joining us.
Jeanne

o
looking for and have more!

Yea! I found a few things for people today!!! More to come, more to come...

Ok, a couple of my big wants: does anyone have wintergreen plants ( Gaultheria procumbens). I received some seeds but after reading about them, they have a low germination rate. I would love some plants... any of you snowy owls have it in your yards?

how about Virginia bluebells or bleeding hearts? Doesn't hurt to ask.

Ok, next offer: I got an unnamed plum in a trade earlier this winter and have been rooting them indoors. I have four of them. If this is anything like other plum trees, then it can get up to 25 feet high like any other fruit tree. Anyone interested? I only have four of them and they are already showing root buds.

Mark

o

Hey!

Ugh...I just found out I am allergic to ginger. My gums have been swollen for a week know, I thought I was brushing well so I went to the dentist and the dentist told me that it was because I was allergic to something. So I had to go to the doctor and the doctor asked if I ate anything new, and I said that I had never had a ginger snap cookie and tried one and the next day my gums were swollen. And the did some kind of test with ginger and now I am allergic to ginger...

Mark! I would love one of your plums! Hmmm my godmother loves gooseberries, and she asked if I could find her some. In Poland they are very common. By any chance does anyone have a couple cuttings of thier gooseberry plant?

Kamil

Kamil

o
score!

Ok, more offerings.....

My neighbor brought by three pots of 'dead plants' today. While I was dumping them out to the compost, I saw lots of good, live roots. Then,.... I looked at the tag: oregano and peppermint. so, I have about 4 starts of each for anyone.

Then.... I go to the produce stand at the flea market and get the scraps for my compost bins and chickens. I was going through the scraps and there is about 50 pieces of ginger, the type you cook with. They seem a little soft, but i have brought this stuff back to life and grown it many times. Anyone want some? I am going to 'pot it up' and give it a little TLC until time to swap.

Mark

o

Hi everyone :)

Angelady ~ I'd be happy to send you several cuttings of the Jasmine vine, this particular type has the white flowers. It is extremely hardy too! :)

Gardenmom ~ I can provide all the items you requested, no problem! and Welcome!!

Mark ~ I would LOVE some of the weeping cherry and the coralberry. Could I possibly get a few cuttings each ? :D

Thanks!
Wendy

o

Mark, I would love some mint and oregano. I prob. have some in the garden if it did not die off, but if not i will still haveone in te house, and if it did, this will get me going. I will try the ginger too. Thanks everyone for all of your kindness and generosity.
Thanks. Nichol

o

Mark could I get some of the Pear Cactus, weeping cherry tree, peppermint, plums, and coralberry please?
If you'll remind me in a few months, I can get you some of the bleeding hearts from the woods on my dad's farm. I like to take a walk on his property every spring to see what's coming up where. Kind of makes me feel like Tom Bombadil, y'know? (now we'll see who gets THAT reference!)
-Dan

o

Mark - I would love the weeping cherry 3 cuttings if poss., pear cactus, coralberry and ginger. I just told DH yesterday I wanted a weeping cherry for the front yard. I get on here and bam the first thing I read.(how weird is that)

Stop reading my mind.. ooor better yet.... keep it up.

gardenmom
I have you down for:
rosemary,
vari. ivy,
blue passion flower (this will be a cutting, but they root VERY easy) and
var. philoden.
BTW I think we all have a pretty loooong list so don't feel bad at all ask for what you want. Thats why were havin a swap.

Could you add me for your:
clematis cutting
Af. Violet leafs (1 ea)

Tammy

o

Dan, you a closet Tolkien fan?

Thanks for looking for those for me!

o

Mark May i have a pear cactus, oregano & ginger thanks Toni

o

Dan - OK. From what I remember from lit class (which was one of my fav. Classes because we chose to explore fokelore and mythology) I believe Tom Bombadil was a free spirit that liked to explore nature at his own pace and was created by a father (don't remember his name) from a doll his son had . He used the character to create poems that are kindda "middle-earth". He was also mentioned in the new movie Lord of the rings, it was somewhere at the end when they were talking to gandorf(sp?)

Gardenmom - I posted the other one before I looked at my list I may not have a passionflower left. I will have to see how much it grows from now to then. I will def. send one if I can get another cutting from it. I will leave you down for it just in case. But wanted to give you a heads up in case.

Almost forgot.....

**I am out of everything else previously listed ***

NEW LIST:

- Primrose - Pink (3 offers - maybe more I will let u know)
- Vvarigated philodendron
- Campion Rose

Also will be posting some bulbs in a couple days :-) Keep fingers crossed on my dahlias. I may be able to share.

o

Mark! WooHooo! I want the ginger, peppermint, and unnamed plum, please!.... Okay, now I'm gonna catch up on the rest of the posts since I've been gone...

Blessings,
Angela

o

Mark, I'm not sure of all the plums are spoken for yet, but if there are any left, I would really appreciate one :) If not, I understand. Was away from home for a few hours, came home and WOW!!! It's just too much fun :)

Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here