Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrow

NEW: Extra, Extra, Seads all about it - Before Spring Swap

greenthumbgrow
15 years ago

Extra, Extra, Seads all about it - Before Spring Seed Swap.

New seed swap for March. Do you have a lot of duplicate seeds or extra ones you know your not going to use. ME TOO! I thought we could get some variation on the seeds before time to start the March Madness Planting Season.

All seeds must be clearly marked and packed correctly.

All seed packages should contain at least 10 seeds, or 1/8 teaspoon for tiny seeds. Except for speciality seeds which could be 2-3 seeds depending on what it is.

You will receive at least the amount of packages you send in, most likely more ;-)

Please give me your top 5 wants and I will do my best to get you some from your want list. Please remember you may not recieve your wants if noone sent them in. Please specify Veggies, Herbs, or Flowers.

Please use a large bubble mailer if possible. You must also send a return address label filled out as well as proper postage for the seeds being returned to you.

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SEND ENOUGH RETURN POSTAGE, you may want to send an extra stamp or two in case the weight of the seeds being sent to you is more than the weight of the ones you sent in. If the stamps are not used they will be sent back in the bubbly with the seeds.

There is no limit to the amount of seeds you send in. However Please do not send in more than 5 packets of one certain seed.

SEEDS DUE: March 12th

MAILED BACK TO YOU ON: March 16th

Please post here if interested and I will email you my mailing address.

Lets get Swappin!

Tammy / Greenthumbgrow

Comments (150)

• tennesseekathy
    15 years ago

Hey Tammy! I just got in from out of town and checked the forum and found out you were posting the seeds received. And letting people pick out the ones they want. I would like Green Tomato Zebra, Armaranthus Mixed, Poppy Single Purple, Hardy Hibiscus Cream n Red, Cilantro, Basil, And Society Garlic if you receive more of it. Thank you, Kathy

• strmywthr3
    15 years ago

I dropped my package off at the post office today.

thanks for hosting!

Barbi

• smitties
    15 years ago

Ok, I have been lurking here trying to resist, (you should see my seed box) but I just can't pass it up. I went to a public seed swap yesterday and they had a seed company donate 400 pounds of seed packages so I have plenty of seeds to share. COUNT ME IN! I will go get a package done up while I wait for an address.

This is also a great way to get to know fellow gardeners here at GW. Thanks Margo

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I dropped mine at the PO this morning.
    Thanks, Alana

• daisy4655
    15 years ago

I'm mailing my package today.
    Beth

• happidae
    15 years ago

Am I too late? Would love to join in!

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

My package went out today too!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happidae - Would love to have you join... Please unblock your email so I can send my address.

Today Recieved Packages:
    Booberry85 - GREAT Veggie selection. Will post some later for others to choose some.

Tammy

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    Mailed my seed package today.

Cindy : )

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Mine mailer went out yesterday :-) with lots of VEGGIES.

Acres

• zabecc
    15 years ago

Packed up my envie today, headed to the post office tomorrow!

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

I sent mine out yesterday. Thanks. Treasa

• susantexoma
    15 years ago

I mailed my package this morning -- yay!

Susan

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

My seeds are going in the mail this weekend. Thanks a bunch, Linda

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We recieved some WONDERFUL packets of seeds today!

Recieved from:
    Hillside grower - beth
    Poisiondartfrog - alana
    Amybabyboy3 - amy

And let me tell you there were some wonderful seeds in the packages. I am going to have to look at trade lists for these. If I post there may be a fight ;-) LOL

Tammy:-)

• jessewo
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy!

Did the box get there yet? I mailed it from PA on Thurs, it was from a small post office, but I'd have thought it would have arrived by now!

Beth

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

O my goodness yes I did get it. I thought I posted that but looking back through the lists I must have forgot to hit submit.

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I would LOVE some Blanche a Collet Vert carrots and I'm bummed I missed the offer (I was down with a nasty cold on Fri. and Sat.)

I know this seed packet is already claimed, but would it be OK if grolikecrazy and I were to split those carrot seeds between us so we can both enjoy this fine heirloom?

• smitties
    15 years ago

Ok I know I procrastinated but will have my envelope in the mail tomorrow. It should arrive in plenty of time. Looking forward to seeing what comes back to me. Thanks Tammy.

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

You aren't the only slow one here, smitties. My seeds still need to be mailed too. I'm hoping to get mine together for mailing later on today, but it's taking longer than I thought it would. If I don't get to my PO in time they will have to be mailed tomorrow.

• diggindirt49
    15 years ago

I'm a slow poke too...My seeds went out today. Bev

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

I don't mind splitting the carrots, I'm buried in swaps too, the cutting swap is due the same day!! ARRGH, I'll do my best. Chris

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

I tried to resist but just can't! I'm in.
    My seeds will go out this weekend.
    ~ Tracy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alright the packages are rooollin in...

We have today packages from:
    Zabecc
    Mack
    Treasa
    strnnywthr3
    Purpleacres17
    Micrey
    Kathy

Whew! ALOT of SEEDS... I am getting ready to start going through the ones I have and matching them up with trade lists.

Tammy;-)

• zabecc
    15 years ago

Yay, glad it made it there safely!

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grovespirt - I did 1/2 the carrots and they are marked for you.

I am starting to look at everyones trade list so please make sure they are utd. I have completed two envies already and am proud to say I cleared up someones want list pretty darn good. ;-)

I will be mailing sporadic over the next 2 weeks as I fill. If I get 90% of someones want list covered and fill the envie I will be mailing it out.

Some of you are a LIttle oK a LOT harder. (especially the ones that done have a want list... hint hint...)

I can't say what you will get if you don't give me any ideas.

Alright. We got enough extras sent in over the last week to accept some newbies! Yeah! I will post a sasbe here and on the winter sowing forum. I think I should be able to do about 8-10 with the extras that were sent in and still have everyones envies here full of course.

Thanks to everyone who sent the extras!

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Disregard the other lists as most of them were taken. Alright here is some offers. **Remember I am only posting the ones I am not sure where to send this is not list of everything.

NEW OFFERS:
    TOMATO
    -jubilee (1)
    -Roma (1)
    -Delicious (1)
    -Brandywine (1)
    -LG Red Cherry (1)
    -Rutgers (2)

PEAS
    -Brown Crowder (3)
    -Alaska (1)

CORN
    -Peaches n cream (2)

WATERMELON
    -Sweet Siberian

BEANS
    -Cherokee Wax Bush - 2
    -Scarlet Runner
    Kalarepa -Delikates Biala
    DILL -Mammoth
    Swiss Chard - Fordhook
    Peas - Little Marvels
    Radish - Cherry Bell
    Radish - Crimson Giant
    Winter Squash - Sweet dumplin
    Pepper - Ancho
    Soup Mix (Beans, peas, corn etc)
    Winter Squash Mix - Heirlooms

FLOWERS:
    Clematis - Mix
    Shasta Daisey
    Zinnia - Lilliput
    Zinnia - Dwaft Pumila Sprite
    Hollyhock - Purple
    Birdhouse Gourds
    Apple Gourds
    Verbascum
    Aster - Mix
    Bachelor Buttons - Mix
    Cosmos - pink.red.white mix
    Angel Trumpet (datura)- White/Lavendar
    Morning Glory - Granpa Otts
    Rose Campion
    Lunari - Money Plant
    Alyssum -Carpet of Snow

LET THE SHOW Begin!

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK I will add a couple more...

Asparagus
    Fennel - Florance
    Caster Bean
    Coreopsis -Sunray
    Star Hibiscus

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy, I'd love the:

Sweet Siberian Melon
    Swiss Chard
    Winter Squash: Sweet Dumpling

Thank You!
    Becky

• daisy4655
    15 years ago

Tammy, I would like to try the Verbascum and Delicious tomato.
    Thanks!
    Beth

• uptreasa
    15 years ago

Hi, Tammy. I'll snag the Rutgers and Brandywine tomato, Lilliput Zinnia, Ancho pepper, Peaches and Cream corn and Kalarepa beans for now. Thank you. Treasa

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    thanks for giving us a chance to pick from yours
    I would like
    peas alaska
    corn
    winter squash mixed
    shasta daisies

thanks a bunch
    michelle

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

May I have these

WATERMELON -Sweet Siberian
    Radish - Crimson Giant
    Winter Squash - Sweet dumplin
    Soup Mix (Beans, peas, corn etc)
    Winter Squash Mix - Heirlooms
    FLOWERS:
    Clematis - Mix
    Apple Gourds
    Asparagus

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Tammy,
    Could I have some:
    Fennel - Florance
    Caster Bean
    Coreopsis -Sunray

Thank you, Amy

• strmywthr3
    15 years ago

I would love some swiss chard!

thanks!
    Barbi

• smitties
    15 years ago

Hi, my package went out early this morning. There is a little something in for you Tammy. Thanks for hosting.

If there is still the following available, I would love to grab a couple seeds up.

Large Red cherry tomato
    Zinnia - sprite
    and if there is any extra coreopsis.

Thanks so much

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

If there are any Zinnia - Dwaft Pumila Sprite left I'd love some! (I have a 10'x10' garden space to plant in and that's it, not kidding either!)

Just mailed my seeds. Had so many they needed to be sent in a box. Would not fit in a BE.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am sure I should be able to accomodate all requests so far. I will start put into your baggies again tomorrow.

Some of you have a ton ready to send back already. I am doing each package at a time according to your want list. Then adding extras to fill in some number.

I really hope you all love the packages I am putting together for you and have a wonderful time sowing seeds.

BTW - I LOVED the soap but my daughter loved it more. She swiped it as soon as i took it out of the package and put it in her bathroom. I told her you made it and now she is asking a TON of questions i can't answer. Like how do you make soap and how do you make it smell so good and how how how. Can you tell shes almost 5. LOL

Tammy;-)

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grove - There was also Dwarf Marigold... Would you be interested in them. I just thought of it as it wasn't one I posted.

Tammy

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Aloha Tammy,
    No thanks on the Dwarf marigolds. I have literally 100's of dwarf marigold seeds that I saved from my 2008 garden. I'm certainly interested in dwarf ornamental plants *other* than marigolds though! And dwarf veggies too, of course. :)

Before you decide how many newbies we can assist...it might be a few less newbies than originally planned. You might actually need some of those extra seeds that were sent in, just to keep my seed packet count equal. :)

I'm saying this since I mailed 214 seed packets today! I have put so much time and money into my seed package that I decided to insure it. It was sent priority mail, insured, with delivery confirmation.
    Delivery confirmation number: 0308 2040 0000 5377 6762

I face significant difficulty getting online in time to keep up with the rest of y'all. I am a wee bit frustrated since by the time I got home from my daily obligations today, many of the seeds I wanted were claimed. This probably has to do with the time zone difference...Evening and afternoon for mainlanders is morning here in HI! :)

Anyway enough whining LOL. If some of the heirloom (open pollinated, old-timey) varieties can be split, or if there's more than one packet to go around, I would appreciate these:

WATERMELON (uncommon heirloom!)-Sweet Siberian
    BEANS (heirloom)-Cherokee Wax Bush
    Kalarepa -Delikates Biala
    Swiss Chard (open pollinated)- Fordhook
    Peas (open pollinated)- Little Marvels
    Cowpea (heirloom) Brown Crowder
    Tomato- (heirloom) Rutgers (Both packets, if nobody objects. I plan to donate these to Need4Seed, an anti-hunger seed charity.)
    Winter Squash (heirloom)- Sweet dumpling
    Radish- Any and all. :)
    Corn- Any that go unclaimed by others. I'd also love some heirloom corn, if it turns up in this swap.
    Asparagus- any.

Herbs:
    Fennel- Florence
    Agastache- Golden Jubilee

flowers:
    Shasta Daisy (if any are left)
    Bachelor Buttons - Mix
    Hollyhock - Purple
    Rose Campion
    Morning Glory - Grandpa Otts

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will do my best. I don't think many of the extras would be of interest to you. They are about 10-15 or the same variety of about 20 diffrent commons ones like black eye susies, marigolds, purple coneflowers, sweet basil etc... They are wonderful seeds but I am sure most of us already have them in the garden. HOWEVER I know when i was a newbie these were the first on my list. I will however do my best to match up your want list and if one of these is on it I will surely put them in your bag.

HOW IN THE WORLD did you get 200 seed packets! Whew that is a lot. I hope I have that many different types to send back to you. We will certainly see.

;-)

Tammy

• susantexoma
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I'd be happy to get some of the extras -- I'm starting a completely new garden here at our new house in Texas (when we moved in last fall, the yard had only trees and scrubby grass), and I'll have room for quite a few black eyed susies and purple coneflowers to get things going this first year -- so if you want to put some of the more common seeds in my bag they'll find a welcoming home with me :)

Thanks,
    Susan

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

You wouldn't need to send me 200 different varieties, just 200 total packets if possible. Duplication is fine. And feel free to put as much sweet basil as you like in my box. I will put it to good use by donating it to Need4Seed! :)

How'd I wind up with 214 seed packets to send? It's a long story. But since I am a writer and I *enjoy* storytelling, here goes!

I maintain a highly varied personal seed bank so that I may assist Need4Seed and other low-income gardening associations by supplying seeds. So, I tend to have lots of seeds around my house at any given time! And I also really enjoy keeping my seedbank varied by seed trading, and I trade often. :)

When I get seeds in a trade the packet sent to me usually has 20 or more seeds in it. Well, with my teensy growing space I seldom need more than 5 to 10 seeds of a given plant. So by only using the seeds I actually needed, I discovered I accumulated 35 seed packets worth of 'extras' that I could contribute to the swap.

Also, this swap allowed us to send in 5 packets of one type. So I sent in duplicates of all the garden edibles (herbs, veg., edible flowers) that I grew out in 2008 and saved oodles of seeds from. That right there got me another 65 easily- Just 13 varieties of edible seeds, 5 packets of each.

And that (35 plus 65) accounts for the first 100 packets. :)

Now then, I also accumulated excess ornamental seeds over the past year. Some were bonus packets from generous seed traders. Some were seeds I got by scavenging (more bluntly termed 'seed snatching' LOL.) All of these homeless seeds turned out to be roughly another 104 seed packets. There's 52 weeks per year, so if I get one bonus pack per week and also scavenge a pack per week it *would* yield 104 extra seed packs per year that I won't have the room or time to grow out... And now that puts my total at 204 seed packets...:)

I don't grow many regular sized ornamentals due to small space, so I keep them till I get a chance to swap them out and request edibles or dwarf varieties. I figure, at least SOME of these normal-sized lovelies will be of interest to others in this swap!! :)

And then finally, there were 10 or so seed packets that contained the leftovers from a few special, or rare commercial varieties that I bought on impulse, hoping to enhance my garden's sophistication level. I admit it, sometimes I DO buy seeds on impulse... don't we all at times??

And thus, the somewhat embarrassing grand total of 214 packets. *blush*

Bit by bit, a seed collection hobby can really add up.

BTW, I am by no means the only GardenWebber known to send in hundreds of seeds into a swap when the swap rules have no packet limit stated. There were several boxes and big, fat envies each holding hundreds of packets that various people sent in to ncgardengirl's Wow Thanks swap recently! So nope, I am not alone in my seed obsession.

I hope I amused some of y'all by telling on myself. :)

• appaloosa909
    15 years ago

Tammy,
    My name isn't on the received list? Are you sure you got it?
    Andrea
    Appaloosa909

• zabecc
    15 years ago

There probably aren't any left, but if there are: the Swiss Chard and Winter Squash sounds awesome to me.

And please don't feel that you need to send me back the same amount of seeds that I sent you. I didn't count them, but there must have been close to 100 :P

Haha... hopefully they will go to good use for all the newbies :D

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Hmm, I just realized that most of the seeds I sent in are pretty small and when I get some larger seeds such as beans, peas, corn and squash back in my box there may be no way to fit 200 packets in there.

In the interest of not making things too hard for Tammy I have decided I can handle getting back less pkts. than I sent in. So, 150 pkts. is the new amount that I'd like to receive in return.

Also Tammy- if it turns out the postage I sent you is not enough to cover what I get in return, or the seeds won't fit in my box, PLMK by email. If necessary I will mail you a check to cover the extra postage and/or bigger box. :)

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I would be willing to take any extra herb/veggie seeds that need a home. Right now, I will have no extra room for flowers. Hope that helps with my 'want' list for you!

You are doing a great job. Thanks

Mark

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I echo Mark's sentiment; I also really prefer edibles to flowers- but flowers are OK too *if* you should run short of edibles to send me. :)

I re-examined the marigolds question Tammy asked earlier and remembered there actually are some unusual varieties of marigolds I don't have, which I'd like to have if they show up in this swap.
    :)
    Here's the list of marigolds that do interest me:
    Tagetes lucida- Mexican Mint Marigold AKA Texas Tarragon
    (REALLY want that one since it's a great culinary herb)
    Tagetes hybrid 'Snowball' (white)
    Tagetes hybrid 'Snowdrift' (white)
    Tagetes hybrid 'Snowman' (white)
    Tagetes hybrid 'French vanilla' (white)
    Tagetes hybrid 'Scarlet Starlet' (red, daisy shaped)
    Tagetes erecta 'Kilimanjaro White'
    Tagetes erecta 'Sunset Giants Mix'
    Tagetes erecta 'Doubloon'
    Tagetes erecta 'Lemon Mum' and 'Simba'(resemble mums!)
    Tagetes erecta 'Flagstaff' (AKA Orange Hawaii)
    Tagetes patula 'Naughty Marietta'
    Tagetes patula 'Disco Red'
    Tagetes patula 'Moonlight'
    Tagetes patula 'Harlequin'
    Tagetes patula 'Jolly Jester'
    Tagetes patula 'Mr. Majestic'
    Tagetes patula 'Striped Marvel'
    Tagetes patula 'Tashkent' aka Tashket #1
    Tagetes tenuifolia 'Red Gem'
    Tagetes tenuifolia 'Paprika Gem'
    Tagetes tenuifolia 'Cottage Red'

I hope this gives Tammy some more options of what to put in my box. :)

• shadyside
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy--I'm interested in any peas, society garlic or candy lily--I know I should have contacted sooner--don't worry if they're all gone...I'll try to keep looking if you list other things..

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I will take anything, even the common ones like coneflower, black eye susie's and marigolds. I am putting in lots of large flower beds as this has been my dream and now with all my seeds from GW I can do this inexpensively. As fill and to add continuity to the beds I am using these and others in each bed so that your eye flows a littl better from bed to bed. I have 2 1/2 acres and no flower beds except for a couple I started last year out back. These don't have much in them and the dogs like to dig up and help me replant what is back there.

HOpe everyone had a great day.

Nichol