Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrow_gardens

A suggestion? / Off topic?

bgrow_gardens
17 years ago

I am completely new whole heartedly to this forum, but may I suggest a round robin for salvia seeds?? Mind you I would not know the first thing to go about it at all. In fact I am so new to this forum I am still trying to figure out how to participate in a round robin I stll have a lot of reading to to do on these forums! Please don't hold it against me if I am stepping out of bounds here.. I have a few salvia seeds but when I go to the salvia exchange all I see lately are wanted posts...not many haves.. If I am totally out of line here please understand I am still trying to grasp this whole round robin thingie and this is merely a suggestion! But I know many folks out there love to garden for hummingbirds, myself included and would enjoy a few more variety's in their garden. Since I don't feel comfortable in starting a round robin of this nature I just thought maybe I would suggest it and someone might think what a great idea and run with it???? Thanks for taking the time to read my post ~

'happy gardening'

Barb

Comments (6)

• micke
    17 years ago

you are not stepping on any ones toes here, everyone has the right to post their own round robins, whatever they want to do.
    You can do this, post 'Salvia seed swap' or Hummingbird seed swap. what kind of swap were you thinking? where everyone posts that wants to join, then they post what they have and what they want then you match everyone up to send to one another? Or one where all the seeds are sent to you then you match the seeds up as best you can to the want lists??????? there are lots of ways to run a round robin, I admit I am not near brave enough to do something like this yet, but I have been reading threads and it seems like a lot of work in some aspects, but well worth the fun of it!!!!!

• galium
    17 years ago

Barb, I just finished hosting my first Round Robin. I read all threads for new robins and participated in a few. That is where I learned how to do it. Anyone can start a round robin. My robin went from person to person. I don't have any Salvia seeds so for me to start a robin of this nature isn't realistic. If you're interested in starting one I'd be happy to tell you what I did. Although I'm still a novice. You are more than welcome to email me for details.

Good luck,
    Mariann

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Barb as Mickey and Marianne explained there are at least two different types of exchanges here. That is part of why it is so confusing.
    In a nutshell, Robbins go around to everyone and swaps seeds go from player to hostess. Hostess "swaps" them among the group and then mails them back to the players.
    There are very real advantages to both. Try signing up for a few to get the feel of them.
    In my experience it is easier to host a swap than a robbin and there are fewer things that can go wrong. (just my opinion) Advantage to players of RR is that "All" the seeds come to them and they get to choose for themselves. In RR the postage costs tend to be a lot higher,(it is a lot more seed). A RR may be disappointing if someone ahead of you says "I put in 6 packs of seed for the rare XYZ birdie plant" and they are all gone when the robbin arrives.
    Most swap hostesses do a good job of sending things you want BUT they can't send it if nobody donated any.
    Read some of the threads and go back a few pages to get a feel for swaps and robbins over a bit of time.... then jump in.
    We area friendly group here and happy to have you. Good suggestion on Salvias. They are quite popular.
    Beth B

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

bgrow_gardens

If you're willing to take on the challenge, a good thing to do with a seed swap is have everyone send their seeds and a self address stamped envelope to you. Then you would sort through the seeds and send then back out in the envelopes. You would have to keep track though and make sure you send different seeds back to the people who sent. Could get tricky with a single genus although there are a lot of different salvias.

Other options are just a person to person swap but I've never done that with seeds. Not sure everyone on the receiving end would make out as well (some people might get 20 packets and some might get 2?)

Then there's the option of having everyone send their seeds to you and you put them all in a box and send it out to a chain of people. Again, with salvias, the last person in the chain is going to get the short end of the stick.

Just my 3 cents :)

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Barb:

I like salvias and have bought or traded (mostly bought) seeds for those that I am interested in. I don't have a lot of seeds to share right now, but will (I hope) at the end of the next growing season. Now would be a great time to put together a "salvia sharing" group for the future. I propose, and would be willing to help organize, a salvia exchange sub-group. We could put together a database of who has what, who wants what, and work like a coop so that it would be fair to everyone. Any interest? Any thoughts?

Becky
    ramazz

• bgrow_gardens
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for all your helpful suggestions and advice. I think for right now I had better participate in a couple of these round robins before I jump in and get my feet wet and drown! ~ LOL ~ Right now I simply am to short on time to host a round robin sort of thing..(I am not a very organized person, and I don't want to mess it up!!) I am still a little unsure of them. I think I better participate in one or two of them before actually attempting one!! Although everyone's thoughtfulness, and response to my post was wonderful. I need to study up on these things ;)
    'Happy Gardening'
    Barb