Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markcase1964

UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #3

markcase1964
15 years ago

we filled another, so now here we go again.

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.

This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)

Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)

Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)

Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)

Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)

Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

10) Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Comments (150)

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have mine rooting in rooting soil wrapped in a moist papertowel and in a baggies so not to disturb the roots that start. If they have no roots by the day of shipping I will still be sending them as long as they still look good. Normally mine wilt within the first couple days if it is not going to 'take'.

ANSWER:
    I believe that they do NOT have to be rooted, however anything that not already rooted I will be sending 2-3 cutting of each so that at least one will root. I would suggest this so that the people being sent to has a good chance of getting one to root. (Unless Its something that is pretty much a guarentee)

I normally have 99% rate with african violet leafs and passion flower so I would say if those are not rooted I would feel safe sending only 1-2 clipping as long as they still look good mine normally wilt within a couple days since they will be 2-3 weeks potted up by then and looking good I would say its a guarentee.

IRIS NOTE
    rosepetal and dirtdiggin Got you down for the iris.

I am reserving one for Mark in case he wants it (because he missed the others. Mark let me know (so that if you already have them or don't want them I can give to someone else)

1 more offer of Black Iris...? Whos it gonna be?

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Greenthumb I would love an almost black iris too if one is available. ty!

I also have some Loufah seeds is Regina runs out :) I was up til 2am last night packing seeds for the WOW swap.. still not done! I am hopingggggg Patty's pkg comes in today!!

Sandlapper I would love a lemon balm cutting please! ty!

Rosepedal ~ if you're game to try 'unknown' azaleas I can send you quite a few various cuttings. My mom has them all over the yard, I just have no idea what color flowers they are til they bloom this year. If you're interested, just let me know :)

Regina ~ I can send you some various hollyhocks, I'm also sending you some Jackmanii seed, various dats & brugs and some red honeysuckle seed. Do you still have any of the yellow pea vine?

It's supposed to rain this afternoon so today I'm scouting the garden some more looking to see what's up! The spirea and daffs have sprouted and I see one lil crocus peeking out! Spring is coming!!

I still have 4 offers of Daffodils (yellow) if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

rosepetal - I already am down for a apple geranium from earlier so disregard the request above. I double checked because I thought I had.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Green thumb grow, I would love some of the black iris if you still have it. Thanks, Linda

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Rosepedal, I can share azaleas with you. They are easy to root too. I will put you down for some. Linda

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Zinnaray, if by any chance you have a couple of iris left, I would love to have some. I was particularly interested in the ginger swirl, but I will gladly take any you have left. Thanks so much, Linda

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Alright. I just looked at the spreadsheet, I know i had requested a couple of these and I must not be following the thread as close as I thought becaue there are a couple things I missed that look like they are still available and i would love... So I would like to add/correct...

REQUESTs
    dirtdiggin - holland iris

kamil - white dutch iris, spanish bluebells

ladygreensleeve - cherry jubilee allamanda

rosepetal - Canna rizome purple, Angel Wing Begonia, oxadalis green

grolikecrazy - anjor pear(2), Red Japanese maple, pussy willow

cottageflowers - Marshalls Delight Bee Balm, Donkeys Tails, Huntington Rose

ibartoo - jasminoides, Star Anise

poisondart - Hydrangea petiolaris, Salix discolor amer pus wil

BTW - does anyone have any seedlings or seeds for a Birch Tree (White Bark). I am looking for three of them...?

Thanks,
    Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

OK. I am temporary out of Black Iris. Whew they went fast. This is who I have down for them...

Almost Black - Iris: Sassy, rosepetal, dirtdiggin, Mark

Note: If I have an extra i will add it for you ibartoo. Right now I think I only have 4 to offer.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Wendy I'd like some daffodils! Kim

• zinaray
    15 years ago

Ibartoo all the iris from yesterday are gone but i will post some more today, what color/name ones and how many did you want.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Well, the cats permitted me enough time to look at the updated spreadsheet, and of course I found some additional things I've missed, and would love to have if they're still available. Are we a bunch of enabling addicts, or what? LOL!
    Here's what I'd like a sample of, if they're still available...

Gardenmom - clematis and lily of the valley

Mark - lemongrass

Sassy - monkey grass

Ladygreensleeves - lemongrass

Greenthumb - pink christmas cactus

Grolikecrazy - pussy willow and double mock orange

Luvgardening - raspberry, lemongrass, and any available mint

Zinaray - star of bethlehem, narcissus, daffodils, and fall crocus

And now I'm off for some more gardening! I've already got to transplant my cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers into larger pots. This indoor greenhouse is just way cool! Why didn't I ever do this before now??? LOL!

Have a good night everyone!
    -Dan (Bump & Stella are sleeping, sssshhhhhhh)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Hey everyone I made myself a little propagation chamber (and wrote about & posted pic on my blog) and put some of the cuttings into it. I hope it works because it makes me nervous to do some of them. I am trying the native plum, euonymous, geraniums and a couple others. I hope they root for you...if not you will get them carefully lifted and placed with the seed starting mix into baggies and carefully wrapped. If they do get roots, I will pot them up for you.

I really, really hope it works because for some things these are all the cuttings I have. Wish me luck. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• zinaray
    15 years ago

mark i save these iris for you eagle control/love the sun/ daughter of star/sugar magnolia/olympic challenger &oasis fuzzy wuzzy
    ibartoo, i save these iris for you eagle control/ love thhe sun/ sugar magnolia/olympic challenger/&oasis fuzzy wuzzy

new offer
    love the sun-5 rhizomes
    olympic challenge- 4 rhizomes

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Great job Kim!! It's on my to do list... just haven't gotten that far down yet! lol Do you know 'token' here on GW? He's a great person to ask questions to if you get stuck re: propogation. Built his own prop chamber as well. Email me if you need his exact id.. I have it here somewhere...

Ok I have some SEED offers:
    1 offer Golden Chain Tree (5 seeds)
    4 offers Black Moudry Grass (10 seeds)
    3 offers Gentiana Clausa (Bottle Gentian)
    1 offer White Pampas Grass
    1 offer Pink Pampas Grass
    1 offer Pink Muhly Grass
    1 offer Northern Sea Oats Grass
    2 offers Blue Fescue
    2 offers Godetia

Can you tell I'm working in seed file 'G'? :)

I also started 2 cuttings from an Oak Hydrangea, haven't had luck w/ rooting from it before so I'll offer these as 'maybes'... lol :P

Dan ~ if you need more monkey grass than thru the swap here, just shoot me an email and we can do a sasb box which I could fill up for ya! I've got it comin' out my ears!

~Wendy

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Linda Thank you so much for the azales. I am so happy. You made me so happy! You all are so wonderful...

Zinaray I wouldnt turn down any more Irsis if you have them. They do great here in Wi...Brr cold weather hahha Barb

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

zinaray - Could you add to mine one love the sun and one olympic challenge.

I had requested one of the judy mogil and ginger swirl earlier today and wasn't sure if you had had anymore could you let me know for when I check everything on the list.

Thanks,
    Tammy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Wendy, let's save your ears! E-mail me your address, and I'll get you a box out! Not only will that monkey grass look good in the yard, but I'll be able to use the leaves in my basket-weaving! Don't you love it when things come together? LOL!

Zinaray, can I get a rhizome of olympic challenge and love the sun?

Tonight I transplanted corn, red-faced bat plants, dragon-tongued green beans, and some lemon cucumbers. Stella woke up while I was doing so, and "helped", so now I'm off to have a glass of wine and relax. Ta-ta!

Dan

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Plant one on me - You have a worm bin I am sooo envious. My DH thinks im nuts too. I will have to do the same thing you did and ask for for my bday (which isnt until october) but thats better than never. LOL

Sassy: I would like...
    Black Moudry Grass (10 seeds), Gentiana Clausa (Bottle Gentian), Pink Pampas Grass, Pink Muhly Grass, Godetia

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Greenthumb ~ I got yours set aside :)

Dan ~ I'll email you tomorrow, k? Good grief I have some seed packing to do tonight for some other swaps!

Zina ~ May I have an olympic challenge as well? You have truly made my day w/ the Iris offers.

Barb ~ did you want any more azalea?

I am so incredibly thankful to ALL of you for your kindness in sharing!

~Wendy

• zinaray
    15 years ago

rosepedsl, got you down for love the sun & olmpic challenger
    Toni

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I would love a love the sun and olympic challenge iris. I would also takea blue fescue, white and pink pampass grass. If it is gone it is ok, I have not counted up if they are gone or not. Thanks. Nichol

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Sassy - Could I also get 2 of the seeds for the Golden Chain Tree and let someone else have the other 3. I think this tree is sooo beautiful. I had to look it up as I have never heard of it before.

Dan - Though of your halloween garden when I saw the seeds for Morning Glorys- Flying saucer. If you would like some let me know I split them with you. (They are white and purple striped)

NEW OFFERS:

3 offers - Apple tree cuttings- cortland (I believe these have to be grafted, if anyone is interested in trying.)

3 offers - Peach Tree cuttings - Wasn't sure about this one so I researched it...
    (stick in a mixture of half peat and half perlite, with bottom heat. The idea is to keep the bottoms warm, and the tops cool, so you get root development, before too much leafing out. .)

1 Offer - Balloon Plant - (Baby plant was started by seed)

1 Offer - Dalhia Unwin - (Baby plant was started by seed)

3 offers - Hardy Ice Plant - they are dormant but rooted.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Thanks Toni! I will put them in the gh until I can plant them. Thank you for sharing them!! I will be forever grateful :)

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

I would like te dahlia and one of the ice plants. Thanks

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Group,

For the next week or so, I will not be able to check the posts until about 8 at night, One of my fellow teachers is out with a heart attack. I was given one of the classes to cover till she gets back, so I lost my planning period.... I will take care of everything when I get home..

Sassy, is there any Northern Sea Oats Grass left? May I have some?

Greenthumb, thank you very much for the almost black iris

Dan, here is a picture of wintergeen, {{gwi:1251224}}if you ever step on it, you will smell the wonderful scent right away.

Rose, I have an unnamed pink azalea I will be glad to send cuttings. Anyone else?

Plant one: The original post was for people to make fresh cuttings and ship so that boxes arrive here on March 12 or 13. Many are starting cuttings now. i will leave that to your decision.

Zinary, thank you so much for the iris mix! Wow... I may just get my iris collection back sometime!

This is wonderful swapping! Thank you for being patient!

Mark

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

green thumb: is there any ice plant left? May I have one?

Mark

• zinaray
    15 years ago

greenthumbgrow, you got judy mogil & ginger swirl
    may i have a hardy ice plant

gardenmom2 you got love the sun sorry olympic challenger is gone

one love the sun left

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Mark Thank you for all the hard work! I hope your teacher is okay. Sending prayers your way...Barb

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

monkey grass - who has this? I'd love some with how Dan was talking about using it for basket-weaving, which I've been interested in trying my hand at.

Mark - I'm so sorry that you have the extra burden of picking up work for someone else. We promise not to accept everything and leave you out! We're going to miss not seeing you as much!

Blessings,
    Angela

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Angela ~ I have the monkey grass :)

Greenthumb ~ I would love 1 or 2 peach tree cuttings!! GA peach here ;-)

Yes to all the seed requests thus far :)

Thanks!!
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

gardenmom - Gotcha for iceplant and Dahlia

Mark - Gottcha for Iceplant
    - Does it actually smell like wintergreen?

Oh mark. In our last swap I had saw you wanted chiense paper lantern and had bought some to send to you. It didn't get here until after our swap and then I was out of commission for those 2 1/2 weeks and still haven't gotten it too you. I know you have been swapping alot and wanted to see if you still wanted it.?

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Sassy - Gotcha for 2 peach tree cuttings. I am sooo excited about the pink pampas grass. I have been wanting this for a while. ***Doing the happy dance***

Zinaray - Gotcha for an iceplant. You wouldn't happen to have any white irises would you I have been looking for one?

Thank you for the wonderful iris's. I Love the olyp chal. The best, but they are all great. Thanks so much.

Tammy

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

We have a Birthday coming up Saturday! Valentine baby...Yippee guess who....? Barb

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I did get some Chinese Paper Lanterns from Dan, but so far, nothing germinating.... So, if you still have them, I do appreciate that! It is very nice to remember that I wanted them.

Yes! Wintergreen does smell like wintergreen. This is the plant where the extract comes.

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Mark, I am sorry about the teacher. Hope they have a speedy and healthy recovery. If there is anything any of us can do to help you, let me or us know. Good Luck For the next wek or two. Nichol

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Hmmm...Can I have some peach tree cuttings?

Kamil

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Greenthumb, thanks for thinking of me and the halloween garden, but with the flying saucer mgs jaleeisa (Kathy) sent me, I've got plenty! Perhaps someone else would like some?

Zinaray, did you miss my request for the irises? I hope not, but can understand if you did. Things happen rather quickly in this swap!

Mark, let us know if you need us to help in any way!

-Dan

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

zinary, do you still have the love the sun? If so may I have it? Thanks Kim

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Kamil - Have you for 2 peach tree cuttings

Dan - I didn't know you already had them. I will keep in mind anything I come across with halloween themed.

Mark - I know its late but I also wanted to tell you thank you for the card and seeds. It really meant a lot to us to know someone cares. Thanks Again.

It was sooo nice out today. I did so much wintersowing. I am up to 47 jugs and a bunch of smaller containers. It is addicting. I just keep "having to sow one more container" My DH thinks Im nuts and the back porch is 1/2 full of milk jugs... hehehe

It will be wonderful when I start seeing it work. This was my first time and I am nervous with my seeds being out in the ice and snow.

QUESTION:
    Is there any I definately should not put out this early?

Tammy

15 years ago

Tammy, here's a link to a database that will answer that question for you.

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown.org Database

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Catching up with everyone here. If anyone has any Iris left would they throw a bulb or two my way please.

For seeds I have:
    dirtdiggin offering hollyhocks a mix
    and
    sassybutterfly offering hollyhocks,jackmanii,datura and brugs,and red honeysuckle.
    Thank-you both very much
    Also looking for ornamental grasses and japanese morning glory's.
    These are the seeds offered too:
    Mark:cotton tree and loofah
    gardenmom:loofah
    dan: loofah
    plant-one-on-me:loofah
    sassybutterfly:yellow pea vine

lots of loofah seed left.

greenthumbgrow have you down for the cherry jubilee cuttings

Dan.....I pick my loofah's when they are still green on the vine ,but the stem has turned brown. I peel them when they are green as well, much easier. I give them the squeeze test .....if they give some and you can hear the fibers in the skin breaking then I peel them by pulling off the end first, then running my thump up under the skin. I make a tear all the way to the stem end and then peel it off in one big piece, running my thump under the skin to loosen it as I go if needed. If it does'nt give easily then it's too soon.Give them another day or two. Don't lay them on their sides either,as the moisture can cause them to start rotting.Lean them up on their ends. Once peeled I then lay it in the greenhouse and let it dry, I sometimes have to turn it over the next day, depends on how hot it gets as my gh is not regulated temp wise. Once completely dried, I shake the seeds out into a bag. I find by doing it this way I end up with a very nice white sponge. Letting it dry out and turning brown before peeling makes for hard peeling and a darker sponge that has to be bleached. You can then cut them and use as you wish. I cut out the center membrane(grind that up)and use both in soaps all the time. That's just one of the many uses I get out of them.
    Not to mention the number of people that stop by wanting to know what those things are growing on the fence......real conversation starter!

One other interesting thing about the plant. They have a male and female flower(yellow). Male flowers show up first, followed by the female, both look identical, but the female bears the fruit. I will leave it up to your imagination as to what that looks like. Ants also love the plant and may act as pollinators, so don't be alarmed by what appears to be a take over by ants.

Thats my lesson on loofahs.....hope all that helped.

Night everyone

Regina

15 years ago

Wow, Regina! That's great info! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, does anyone know what other kinds of plants can be grown to use for basket weaving?

Okay, off to pack up more seeds...

Blessings,
    Angela

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

The native american indians of california used the fronds of the California Yucca as well as the split fronds of the palmetto palm.
    Also bamboo, cane and reed from the rattan plant,grapevine,variuos grasses,willow,honeysuckle vine,palms,sisal from agave,and wisteria.
    Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Regina

15 years ago

LOL! Thanks! I think that will do for now, Regina... I really appreciate the thorough answer! :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ladygreensleeves,

I have seen baskets made from almost any vine, including honeysuckle! You can use pampas grass too.

Mark

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

yep, anything that produces a vine or any type of grass can be used in basket-weaving. I just started getting into it a couple of months ago, and find myself becoming fascinated by the various weaves which are used to create the different patterns in the baskets I see around. You can bet my "gathering" in the garden is going to be a lot different this year! And I've already told my dad that I want the vines he cuts off of his concords next year! I started off by buying some kits here online. They came with the supplies and instructions, and I've had a lot of fun with them! I've posted the link here for anyone who wants to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basket weaving supplies and kits

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

Hello again
    Zinaray-is there any grass left that the birds like. I am trying to plant for them too. I have a huge climber outside my bedroom window leafless, that about 5 birds are living in right now. I had considered cutting it down but I think they have adopted it-it is close to the coneflowers they so loved Let me know, thanks,jenny.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

zinaray, Those iris sound wonderful! thank you so much. I am looking for other things I can offer. it should be beautiful today so maybe I can get out and find goodies.
    Linda

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

Hello again
    Zinaray-is there any grass left that the birds like. I am trying to plant for them too. I have a huge climber outside my bedroom window leafless, that about 5 birds are living in right now. I had considered cutting it down but I think they have adopted it-it is close to the coneflowers they so loved Let me know, thanks,jenny.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

UGGGHHHH!!! Yesterday morning my PC went on the fritz! I had to re-format the entire thing!! :( Of course the first thing that had to be installed was the modem and browser so I could get back online lol.