Houzz Logo Print
llbean_gw

NEW: April Garden Decorating: Fool Or Tool

llbean
17 years ago

Welcome to the April (Fool's or Tools) Day Exchange:

The Legend:

The Calendar-Change Theory

The most widespread theory about the origin of April Fool's Day involves the Gregorian calendar reform of the late sixteenth century.

The theory goes like this: In 1582 France became the first country to switch from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar established by the Council of Trent (1563). This switch meant, among other things, that the beginning of the year was moved from the end of March to January 1. Those who failed to keep up with the change, who stubbornly clung to the old calendar system and continued to celebrate the New Year during the week that fell between March 25th (known in England as Lady Day) and April 1st, had various jokes played on them. For instance, pranksters would surreptitiously stick paper fish to their backs. The victims of this prank were given the epithet Poisson d'Avril, or April Fish. Thus, April Fool's Day was born.

So: With that being told, Here are the rules: This exchange will be a traveling joke box: I will start the box and send it on it's way to start. The next person can either send a funny April Fool or you can send a gardening tool (gloves, hat, trowel, seed planter, dirt or anything related to gardening tools). The other rule is, it must be under 15.00.

I also understand that it is Easter Month so if there are those who would like to exchange Easter gifts that is ok too, but the same rules apply.

Inside the box will be very specific instructions to each player: please be advised that this is April and a little fool may appear in your envelope and you may have some crazy instructions in your envie.. So: If your willing to take a chance.. come join the fun in this Aprils exciting exchange:

Thanks for playing :)

oh yeah, the other rule... No hostess gifts please... rather, donate the postage and the $ to your local soup kitchen please for Easter meals...... They will need it.

Laura

Comments (115)

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

Great to hear this has created a little confusion. It wouldn't live up to it's name if it hadn't. Figured I had better add what I'd love to see coming my way:
    columbine/sweet pea seeds
    water absorbent (for containers)
    fertilizer
    garden signs
    crocus/liatris bulbs
    Good grief this makes my brain hurt!Thanks!:~)

• marozeckinj
    16 years ago

I can't wait to see whats in the box. Post when it arrives please! It's the little things that keep me checking in!
    Melissa

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Heh... Melissa... you're just like me! I'm always checking in just to see what everyone else gets! Still no box and the mail has already been delivered. Guess we'll have to wait another day to see what's inside the box. :)

• klickitat
    16 years ago

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE! I'll post the contents in a little bit... but first I'll mention that the number I picked was #9. Looks like Diene is the next victim. :)

• diene
    16 years ago

Hooray;
    I cannot wait to see what is coming my way. diene

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Klickatit;
    Am I supposed to tell you what I would love to see in the box? Well, no dust collectors, I hate dusting, I have very bad luck with seeds. I would love any outdoor plants or bulbs. Do not need and/or want any lotions, creams, or body stuff (I sell it and only use my products).
    What I guess I am saying is that I am the April Fool, I would love a good joke or info on your part of the world. Use your imagination, not your wallet when filling my box and I will be thrilled. I am so excited to get the box, it can be empty. Have fun with it. diene

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Heh. Wouldn't it be really funny if I DID send an empty box, Diene?!!! :-) Ok, ok I won't do that. It's more fun to pick out items to send anyway.

Sorry for the delay in posting the contents of this box. I work long, weird hours, so most of my free time consists of sleeping. Today I happened to call in sick because of a back spasm. Whoa! I've never had one before, and can honestly say they HURT!

Picture this... I open the box and taped to the inside of the lid are a set of instructions. I see the green bag that contains my personal goodies...

... open the green bag and contained within are the following:
    - Ottos Thrill Dahlias (tubers)
    - Wildcat Gladiolus (bulbs)
    - Laurien Gladiolus (bulbs)
    - citronella oil candle
    - roll of plant twist tie
    - roll of garden wire
    - fly swatter!!!

THANK YOU, mmqchdygg!!! You did a great job in putting together a theme for my swap items!

And a THANK YOU to llbean for the mystery gift! I adore the ones I chose!

Watch out, diene... I'm hoping to send your box out tomorrow with another trade.

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Ok, diene... after working a very long night I finally got things organized and labeled for shipment tomorrow. I'll post the DC# once it goes out. Hope you enjoy the choices I made. :)

• marozeckinj
    16 years ago

and it's off again.........

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Diene... please check your email! :)

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

Would anyone be offended or would the hostess be upset if I dropped out of this one? I'm already overcommitted and with this running into May, I'm afraid I can't keep up. Already signed up for May. Please let me know. and please don't be mad.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Sue,
    I'm sure Laura doesn't mind. We all feel overextended at times. Thanks for letting us know.

Diene,
    Please make a note in the box reminding the next person not to pick #4 Jenntongrows or #8 Squanzon.

Thanks!
    Deb

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Easier to just toss out those numbers ;)

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Hey You Guys!!!!...LOL..Don't toss ME out!!! I am #4 now instead of Jenntongrows.I think Laura put that above somewhere in one of the threads??

Nancy

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Heh. I thought about taking out Jenn's number, but didn't want to ruffle any feathers. :) Diene should be seeing her box soon!

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Well I guess if you all want to just toss out my number #4 thats fine.My feathers won't be ruffled..LOL.."I keep my feathers numbered just incase of an emergency" : )) I'll just do next month instead of helping out this month as planned.Whatever you all decide is fine by me.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Diene,
    Leave #4 in!

I totally forgot Nancy offered to take Jenn's place. Sooooo sorry Nancy! I skimmed through the thread looking for Sue's assigned number (not reading everything) so it's totally my mistake!

Ok, all fixed now..

Thanks Nancy for reminding me!

Hugs,
    Deb

• diene
    16 years ago

Yeah sure, I start tossing numbers and you then blame me!!(only kidding) I will take Sue's number out after I pick the next one. I hope to have the box tomorrow or Monday at the latest and I will try to turn it around immediately. Have a great weekend. diene

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Whew!! Thanks for leaving me in Deb and Diene : ) I was beginning to feel all sad and unwanted : ( LOL No I knew you all just never saw it up above..I just had to tease ya.Looking forward to it.You all have a great weekend too.The weather here is fantastic.Hope it is where you all live too.I better get back outside and enjoy it.
    Nancy

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello All;
    Well the box has arrived and I think I have figured it out. I have a lovely gift from our hostess, it is beautiful. Of course it is raining to beat the band here yet again. I picked # 4 so it is headed Nancy's way. I already have her address so it can go back on it's way today. I am a bit vague on this but I figure I will muddle through as well as I can. Hope everyone is having better weather than I. I will post what I received as soon as I can figure it all out. There was way too much stuff, but I love it all. Thanks klickatit!! Thanks Laura!! The Maine fool

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello All;
    I am back, I have packed up my stuff to send to Nancy and as soon as the Post Office reopens (they close for lunch), I will get it going. This was very interesting and fun. Unfortunately, my tool (joke) did not fit in the box so I had to find an alternative. That made me a bit sad but I recovered quickly when I looked over all the loot I received. I received bulbs, gladiolas, anemones, dahlias, brodiaea & puschkena. Do not ask what the last two are as I have no clue, I will be going to Hortiplex from here. I also received some really nice gardening gloves. Not the kind I usually buy for myself but some that actually look like they will be great and last many years. I buy the cheap ones and then lament wet hands, dirty fingernails,etc. One would think I was done with my stash but you are wrong!! I also received 3 pot sticks, a wind chime and three (count them 3) pairs of gardening shears. Klickatit really went overboard. Thanks to all. diene

• diene
    16 years ago

It is back in flight DC 03062400000220791574. Enjoy. diene

• llbean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seriously, I think I am the fool!! By the time I get this back it may be Christmas te he.. Oh well it is fun and lesiure. that is what this is about...
    I am enjoying the gifts so far and I can't wait to see what else arrives for the rest of you..

Laura

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Woo hoo The box arrived today.The gift from our hostess was lovely.Thanks so much,also...Thanks Diene for all the nice bulbs,seeds,lotions,picture frame,cool garden rock,candles and candy.You stuffed alotta loot in that bag Diene.Thank You again!
    Ok I drew #2 out of the envelope...looks like it is off to...let me go look up above quick...aha.. Deb from here.I will get it back in the air tomorrow so Deb you should have it on Saturday.I will be back to post the tracking number once its in the air : ) Thanks Again for the Great box : ))
    Nancy

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

OK Deb,Its on its way to you.Maybe you will have it on Friday??I know I did this in record time..LOL... but I am on a mission to get the box back to Laura before Christmas..hee hee.No actually.. the timing was perfect for me because I went into the city shopping thismorning and I just happened to buy extras of a few things I bought for my self for the swap.I hope you like what I picked for you Deb : ))This is the tracking number for the box.#01038555749064778409
    Enjoy : ))
    Nancy

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

The box arrived! I'll post more later! A near by town had an entire town garage sale! I have no idea how many garage sales I actually went to, but I'm tired of talking and walking, LOL! ;)

Be back later!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Ok, I'm back! Sorry for the delay.

Thank you Nancy for the really neat items, I love them all!

Nancy sent- a package of Phlox "Prime Minister" and a dwarf canna package of "Black Night" plus copper plant markers, and a cuttle bone for Greenbean (my parrot).

Laura,
    Thanks for the beautiful gift too, plus the gag gift! The rest of you will just have to wait and see what's in the box! I'm not going into any more detail. ;)

I picked #7, and don't have an address yet. So, the box will go ASAP after receiving it!

Thanks Laura for a really neat swap! I love your swap ideas, they are always so much fun!

Box is all packed up and ready to go after I receive Prairiewind's address.

Deb

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

Debbya: Just emailed you my snail mail. Can't wait to get the package!

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

The box is on the way!

USPS #0307 0020 0004 7458 2099.

Have fun going through the box!
    Deb

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

Hi all. The package arrived Saturday. It was a pleasure to receive the "toys" from debbya. I drew #5 - pajohnso. Thanks so much for the garden trowel and dandelion digger, fertilizer spikes, seed starter pack, hummingbird feeder,and mixed seeds from debbya and some great smelling body wash from Laura/llbean. Looking forward to returning the favor to pajohnso!

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Hi Carol,
    I'm glad the package arrived quickly, I kept the box too long, sorry Laura!
    You did pick a gift from the ziplock bag with gifts wrapped in orange too? Just checking...before you send it on again.

Deb

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

Yes, I did get one of the packages. Thanks for the reminder! There is one more package left in the ziploc! Can't wait to get info on pajohnso, so I can get this Robin back in flight!

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Wahhoooo!!! I was beginning to think my number wasn't in there ; ) Can't wait to see what is in there waiting for me!

Paula

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

just bumping this up

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

Just checking in. I'm still awaiting an addy for pajohnso.

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

pajohnso? llbean? I'm still waiting to send this!

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Prariewinds...I e-mailed you on Monday, you must have not gotten my email? It would have been through gardenweb? Perhaps check your junk folder as sometimes the gardenweb gets tagged as spam. Let me know either way and I can re-email my address. Thanks!

Paula

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Giving this a bump! Let's get this moving again. ;)

Deb

• llbean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI ladies. I am sorry that I have not posted in so long. I have been reading really late at night my emails and I have not has a chance to post until now.
    I started a new job and I have been training and etc. No excuses.
    Everyone looks like they are rec. some really nice things and I hope that you all are enjoying the things that I have tucked away for you all.
    so it looks like Paula is the lat one to rec. and then she sends to me.
    I apologize for the delay ladies but I hope that you all have had some fun.
    I can't wait to get the pic developed. I will scan them in and send them to you all private email..
    Just so you don't have to look back Paula, I am into butterflies and birds.. Anything to attract them into my gardens.. I have mostly dappled shade and then my back is blazing full sun.. That is where I try to put my annuals...
    so that is all from this gardening fool..
    Night ladies..

Laura

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

Okay, this thing is finally out of my lap. The package was sent out the 25th. DC#0304 1560 0003 4933 3019. Thanks Laura!

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Okay, got the package today ; ) Now I gotta figure out what to do and wait for the rain to stop so I can take my picture ; ) Thanks!!!

• llbean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pajohnso~
    Hi. Could you please post what was sent to you..
    We all love to drool. Then I thikn that you send to me correct?

Ladies this has been fun and I hope that you all enjoyed the little gifts that you rec. from me.

I am dying to know who got what.. tell tell

Laura

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Laura,
    From the gag gift I received a cute handmade teddy bear!
    Jewelry gift- halloween bracelet that's black/orange, the stones are so sparkly and gorgeous! I LOVE it, it's absolutely beautiful, thank you sooo much for making it! This was such a fun RR! Thanks for coordinating it! You have the best ideas!

Come on Ladies, share what goodies you received!

Deb

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Okay, I finally got the box packed up with some goodies for our swap host and it will be going out today, I will post the DC when I get it. Sorry it took me a bit longer than I would have anticipated. I took yesterday off of work just to catch up!

For my gift I received some beautiful black crystal dangly earrings, I just love them. My goodies from my swap buddy included some lovely handmade pressed flower bookmarks, handmade seed packets, a puzzle, peat pots, and plant markers...thank you so much!

I had my daughter take my picture, but I have to warn you it was at the end of the day yesterday after I had been in the garden for about 8 hours.....yikes! Don't get scared when you develop the pictures ; )

Thanks!

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello All;
    I think I screwed up but that is part of the swap. I received a lovely pair of earrings from the goody bag. Then I think I put something in the gag bag. I cannot at this point remember what, I suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff). I think that the fact that the April Fool's Swap is still going in June is funny all by itself. I laugh when I think that it was snowing when the box came to me. I do not know why I think that is so funny, there was a frost here last night. Not serious and I do not think anything suffered but it was funny to see the people on the news this morning with steam coming out of their mouth's in June. Hope everyone is well. Thanks again Laurie for the months of fun!! diene

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

I just realized that I don't have Laura's address???? Can Laura, or someone who has her address send it to me ASAP?? Thanks!!

Paula

• diene
    16 years ago

Sorry Paula;
    I have e-mailed Laura several times looking for just that information. I had it at one time but was once again not able to keep my hands on it. Hopefully Laura will get back to you soon. diene

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Laura,
    Did the box come back to you yet? I sent Paula your address by email on the 7th.

Deb

• pajohnso
    16 years ago

Hi - I checked the DC and it says the package was delivered on 6/11/07. Hopefully she actually received it?? Paula

• llbean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI... I thought that I put a post here... wonder where I did? I actually got the package on the 14th I remember because it was flag day....

I will repost..
    THank you so much Paula, for the great box..
    I rec. delphin. (sp) and I have always wanted these as well as two coreopsis.
    An awesome Frog statue for my mantle and a bell chime..

Deb included a picture of herself and what a hottie!!!
    I can't wait to get the film developed to see the gardens I am just trying to use up the film as not to waste it..
    I am super glad that everyone had so much fun and I am sorry it took so long..

Maybe next time I can think of something that won't be so confusing
    Oh yeah I hit the jackpot with all the great seeds you all included... Thanks again for playing..
    I am sorry that the post never showed I am truely appreciative..

Laura