Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemctier

NEW: Easter Basket Swap: everyone welcome

rosemctier
13 years ago

Some of my most cherished memories growing up are of finding easter eggs nestled between blooming crocuses, tulips, or daffodils, searching for my easter basket in my great-grandmother's garden, and savagely gnawing the ears off the first unfortunate chocolate bunny to catch my eye. even as an adult, for me, easter means the return of flowers to the world-- everywhere i look, flowers are starting to peek back at me. i can't remember the last time i received a basket, although my mom still sends me $10 with which i am to buy candy (little does she know i always buy plants instead; the rabbits are safe. . .until they go on clearance for 75% off LOL). i think it would be fun for us to trade "garden inspired" easter baskets this spring.

I'd like to adopt an idea i saw on diene's mnf swap. i'd like to do two tiers of swaps, small boxes and medium boxes. while it would be nice if your easter basket was actually a basket, it might be difficult to find a basket small enough to fit in a small box, so just work with the theme and see what you come up with. i think it would be a little easier to find a basket to fit in the flat rate medium box, although it would have to have handles that fold down or no handles at all.

this swap is open to everyone, although if you are a new trader with no gw presence and/or have weak or no feedback, you will be asked to send your box first as soon as you can. Easter is April 24, so to give time people to plan, I'll close sign ups on April 4th and ask that everyone mail their packages out by April 18 to ensure the easter bunny gets it there on time.

please sign up here if you are interested, and send me an email that includes the following information:

1) the size box you would like to send. i'll pair people up accordingly

2) your address, in case gw starts eating people's email addresses again

3) the gw id of anyone you've done swaps with in the past few months, so we can all experience the joy of making a new friend happy :)

there will be a game or two, and i'd like to start them early so there's time to play, in the next week or so. even if you decide not to do the swap, feel free to play-- probably bingo, maybe another one. the more the merrier :) cool prizes!!

Looking forward to spending my spring with all of you. thanks for playing!

Comments (150)

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Marie, I re-sent too. Hope it arrives this time.
    BB

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

new bingo words:
    caterpillar
    fragrance
    Rainblo-bubble-gum-eggs

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hope things are going better for you Faye and Margo.

Em, I hope your hubby is feeling better. I am sending your package out tomorrow and I will post the DC# then.

I hope everyone is having better weather. Beth, I heard you have snow in your neck of the woods -- wow, who would believe it? In Arizona, at this time of year? It was 83 degrees here today. Weird, it was snowing 10 days ago. So even though it's unseasonably warm today I love it!

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

new bingo words:

orchid
    sprout
    violets

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry dandelion--spelling is my weakness-- 15 years of college freshmen has turned my brain into jello

• shoestring
    12 years ago

I was lazy today and slept in until avout 1:30 not realizing I missed a beautiful day of near 80 degrees.

doing good in bingo 11 words, hope the rest of you had a great warm day too.

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

as far as i'm concerned, the only thing better than a warm day is sleeping through it! LOL i LOVE to sleep in. glad i'm not the only one who can still stay in bed past noon :)

• sherrih
    12 years ago

Crystal, I mailed your Easter Baket today!! Your DC# is 0310 1230 0000 4626 8297.. I hope you like it.. Happy Easter.
    Sherri

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Em, I sent your Easter basket today. The DC# is 03102640000127613244. I hope you like it.

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

Goodness... hubby mailed the package to Alex today and forgot to put the 'something' in it that I originally forgot. I'll get it sent in the next day or two. :-)

Em

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

looks that that easter bunny is gonna be busy early this year :)

new bingo words:
    awakening
    leaflets
    marshmallow-peeps
    BONUS word for a happy monday :)
    leprechaun*

• smitties
    12 years ago

Went to the post office before work this morning. The DC # is 03100480000269529768. I did this at the kiosk in the lobby and after purchasing the postage, it said to be sure to use the Priority mail stickers. Guess what? No stickers to be found anywhere. I hope they get the package there in the time is should for priority.

Hope you like it Robin.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here with highs in the 80's but the wind was so strong, nothing could be done out in the yard. Thankfully though, it really is too early to do much out there yet. I do have daffs, narcissus, and crocus giving a beautiful display.

Hope everyone had a good Monday. Margo

• alex1990
    12 years ago

So Em, does that mean I get 2 easter packages? hehe That easter bunny will be busy!

I will be mailing out my box for Sue in the morning. Just have to put a few more things in it, then it will be perfect!

• crisann
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Marie -- got your email today! I am planning on mailing your basket tomorrow. :)

Sherri -- thanks for posting the D.C. -- I can hardly wait, I'm sooo excited. It has been a long time since the easter bunny has left me something! :)

Beautiful day today, got out and cleaned up my flower beds. Supposed to be nice tomorrow too, but then rain and snow in the forecast --- uuugghh!

have a great evening,
    Crystal

• wynative
    12 years ago

Crystal - glad to hear that it worked :D!

Beth - I am sending yours out in the A.M. I will email you the conformation #.

I do love EASTER! When my son was small, there was this 5 foot Easter Bunny at K-Mart that he wanted but as I was a single parent and worked for minimum wage, there was no way I could fit it into my budget. Well.... Easter Morning - Knock on door . . . Yes! There sat this ENORMOUS Bunny and a basket stuffed full of goodies for each of us! I have no idea how this came to be but I still believe in the Easter Bunny! :D

I have another and then I will quit. . . I grew up on a cattle ranch and we had all kinds of animals. One was the biggest black rabbit ever! A small child from town one day was out and my Dad jokingly told him it was the Easter Bunny. The child told everyone and all the kids pestered their parents daily to go see Mr. Garrett and the Easter Bunny. A tradition was started - each parent would bring a dozen or so colored eggs, my father or one of us would hide them in the rabbit cage (more like a large dog house -(4' long, 3' wide and 4' tall) for the little darlin's to find. It was great fun :D

A little longer post than I had planned but I would love to hear about other Easter Bunny Tails LOL

Have a wonderful Spring week1
    Marie

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

Alex... you will be receiving two packages. :-) I meant to remind hubby but then forgot myself.

I hate that... a reminder to remind! My desk here at work always has post-it notes everywhere. I LOVE them!!

Yesterday was an amazing day in the upper 80's. Today however is another story... raining all day and into early tomorrow morning. On the UP side to that, everything that's been planted lately is getting watered without me having to do it. :-p

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Em

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Hi Ladies, I should be mailing today. Just a few last things to do. I'll post a DC#
    We are about ready to leave for the ranch. Both trucks packed except for emptying the fridge and putting away the garden hose. Can't do that until the last minute as I don't want to watch all the stuff in the veggie garden wither up.
    The flowers have learned to make it on their own but the veggies are a new project. At least I know it can work if we ever stay home for the summer.
    Meanwhile, I'm looking foreward to haveing a real garden at the ranch.
    MArie, love the Easter Bunny story, my DH always did the bunny routine and all the neighbors thought he was a bit wacky.
    Have e beautiful day all
    BB

• crisann
    12 years ago

Good morning,

Marie, the easter bunny is hoppin' along to your house! Your DC# is 03103200000035464221
    Hope you enjoy all the goodies!

Crystal

• alex1990
    12 years ago

Sue, I mailed your box today, The DC # is:
    0309 1830 0001 8254 5762.

The post office had me put it into a different medium flat rate box, same size, just different shape. No worries!

Em, THANKS! It will feel like christmas! I will let you know when I receive them!

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

poor easter bunny, hopping all over the country LOL Y'all are totally on the ball. i am not and this rain isn't helping matters any! hard to dig in the mud.

love the easter bunny story! that is too cool! i have no bunny story to share. i do howeverm have the take of boonie the dissertation deer. the summer i was working on my diss, i was a wreck-- up all night, sleeping all day, freaking out about everything and anything. you know how writers are. so it's like 3 am and i hear something on the porch, kinda like the sound i always listened for at christmas-- reindeer hooves clicking. so i go to the door,open it, and there is a deer. he had a tag in his ear- i think someone found him when he was a baby and kept him. i don't know if he escaped or was cast out. anyway, i open the door,say "hello!" in surprise and i'll be darned if that deer didn't walk right in the house! i thought i was hallucinating. he tried to get up on the couch! he visited me every night for the entire summer, and them, weirdly enough, when i was finally finished with my draft, he disappeared and never came again.

the next summer, i was teaching a nature lit camping class i run every summer and was telling the tale of the dissertation deer. one of my student says "omg was his name boonie?" turns out boonie had left my place and wandered over 60 miles to her house! they took him to a deer farm run by friends of theirs (so we know he won't end up as dinner) and there he remains. does anyone remember the tv show boomer about a dog that goes from family to family to help them out? i think boonie was like boomer. i hope he is happy on his farm. sometimes i open the door and call out "boonie! ba-na-na!" but he never comes. he loved tropical fruits LOL

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    my box is on the way,
    HAPPY EASTER
    michelle

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Well I tried to mail mine today. Got the regional boxes and could not figure out how to do it on the computer. Went to the PO and the man there said he can't do it. It is not part of his system. Needs to be done from the customers own account.
    Anybody know how to do this???
    I know someone did it last month
    Sorry Emmylou. I'm trying and will figure something out by tomorrow.
    BB

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hi Beth -

I found a web page with info at USPS.com. Here is the page, you'll have to copy and paste it into your address bar though. It all seems a bit confusing.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm

Hope this helps.

Sue N.

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Yeahoo!!!
    I got it. it is under click and ship. Just keep filling out the info and about on the third page, near the bottom..... there it is.
    Regional box A and regional box B
    Emmylou, here is your DC# 9405 5036 9930 0068 0996 32
    It won't be posted until tomorrow but it is ready to fly.
    Thanks Sue
    BB

• phat_gardener86
    12 years ago

well I've almost got half of my bingo list checked off! man this is alot of fun! the easter bunny is really busy this year! lol I thought I was going to get my partner's box out in the mail monday but the weekend was really busy and of course I bought more stuff to put in it so I'll be mailing it off tomorrow (wednesday) on my lunch break. faye just make sure you're careful when you open it because it is STUFFED and something is liable to fly out at ya lol! hope you like it as much as I did shopping for you! ~Jamie~

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

It's so nice to see everyone having so much fun with this swap. Rose, it was a really great idea, and thanks for hosting, and keeping that Easter bunny busy!

Beth, I'm glad you figured out the regional shipping process. With postage rates being so high, regional will surely save us some money, once we get past the learning curve.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Afternoon!!

Rose your box went out yesterday afternoon. I have the DC# somewhere in my purse. I'll rifle around later and see if I can find it.

This was such a fun swap!! Rose, thanks for hosting!!

Have a great day!
    vina

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my mailman is getting tired of lugging all these swap boxes to oak forest. he keeps asking my neighbor what i am doing. i don't think he quite believes they are all plants LOL

Bingo words:
    chick
    pastel
    resurrection-lily
    worms

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

OMGoodness... I received my box from Sue today and was it an awesome surprise!!! It was filled to the brim of the basket...

4 hostas - I'll have to post the names later as I've already potted them up. :-)
    Glad bulbs
    Lily stargazer bulbs
    Liatris bulbs
    A beautiful Welcome 'stick'
    Easter eggs filled with chocolate covered goodies
    Popcorn ball
    Photo album
    Chocolate cross
    Peeps
    Dove chocolate
    Chiclets gum
    A roll of tie tape
    An easter kitchen towell

Thank you very much Sue!!!!! What an awesome easter gift!!!!

Em

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

little dog, my ancient, beloved, incontinent beagle, ran away again today. please send out good vibes for her safe return. stupid dog :(

• phat_gardener86
    12 years ago

well I sent faye's package off at the post office today so here's the delivery confirmation # 03102640000040933924 hope ya like it! :~)

• crisann
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I got my easter basket in the mail today! Yippee, how exciting! Thank you so much Sherri! It contained...

a very cute basket
    card
    epidendrum orchid
    air plant
    2 seashells
    peat pods
    dragonfly windchimes
    yankee candle tart
    double crisp bunnies
    milk chocolate bunny
    gardening gloves
    flower/ladybug pot hanger
    and eleven baggies of seeds.

Here is a picture
    {{gwi:1251337}}

I can't wait to plant everything -- my garden will look great! Thanks again Sherri, everything you sent is wonderful!

I have twelve bingo words.
    Thanks Rose for hosting such a great swap -- sooo fun!

Hope you all have a great evening,
    Crystal
    -- off to go munch on a chocolate bunny :)

• smitties
    12 years ago

Rose, I am sorry to hear your dog took off on you. Since you posted "again" about his antics, I am assuming he will be back.

Keep us posted and I will keep the little guy in my prayers that he makes a quick return. Margo

• alex1990
    12 years ago

Just got a GREAT box from Em, It has:

20 Crocus bulbs
    12 Tulip bulbs
    a beautiful Spring dish towel
    a nice comfy knee pad (really needed a new one too!)
    Package of many plant tags (also need those)
    a cute little spring notebook with a pen (will be great for taking garden notes)
    PEEPS!!!
    a nice chocolate chip cookie in a beautiful spring/easter tin!
    And a cute little easter bag!

Thanks so much Em! What a wonderful way of saying happy Easter/ Spring! God bless you!

• alex1990
    12 years ago

AND there was a beautiful note inside with the most colorful easter pic on it. Happy easter to you Em, I hope it brings you lots of joy! THank you for being my Easter bunny this year!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi!
    Rose, found the DC for your box #0308 3390 0001 7950 9335

WOW! All these boxes sound great!! So many bunnies hopping all over :0)

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Woohoo! Just checked my bingo words...I have 14!! :)

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

Alex, I'm glad you received your 1st package and that you liked everything!! :-) Happy Easter!!

I have 12 bingo words... I'm not sure if any of them are the bonus words or not. I was just marking them off as they were called, whether they were a bonus or not. I'll have to reread the thread to see what the deal was with that. :-)

Em

• phat_gardener86
    12 years ago

ok I have a strange question...I just checked the confirmation number to the package I sent off to my partner and it still hasn't been updated. I sent it off yesterday at like 1:38 and it looks like it's still sitting at my post office. The lady told me yesterday that it would take probably take 2-3 days to get to the destination. Shouldn't it already be on it's way instead of sitting at my post office? I'm gonna check later on tonight and if it's not then I'm gonna go down there tomorrow on my lunch and light a flame under somebody's butt lol ~Jamie~

• alex1990
    12 years ago

It will pry leave the post office tonight, if it hasnt as of yet. tomorrow it will be taken to the big post office in the state of were you are sending it, then on saturday or monday, they should get it.

• alex1990
    12 years ago

OR! It is just being slow to update, it should be delivered tomorrow if you mailed it yesterday, so just check it a few times tonight. it should update soon!

• phat_gardener86
    12 years ago

oh ok great! thanks ya'll!

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

I received my wonderful Easter basket from Alex today. It was stuffed with lots of googies. In fact there were two baskets, one full of every type of garden seed you can imagine and some gladiolus bulbs, and the other stuffed with lots of chocolate goodies. Yum! The grandkids helped me out with the peanut butter and chocolate eggs already..lol! Alex also sent me a nice sunflower kitchen towel,a too-cute, colorful, hand-crocheted doily (Did you make this Alex?), and a wonderful smelling jar candle. And last but not least, she included a lovely poem on a hand-made Easter card! I love everything Alex. Thanks for such a nice Easter gift!!!

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Emily, I am so glad that you liked your Easter basket! Enjoy!!!

Sue N.

• alex1990
    12 years ago

You are very welcome! Hint: Alex did make the doily! Glad you liked everything!

• smitties
    12 years ago

I am not a happy gardener right now. The package I sent on Monday has not been updated since Tuesday. I did send it priority. I mailed my daughter a package to her college and did not use priority and that arrived the very next day. Go figure.

Robin, I apologize for the lapses in our lovely postal system. I should have gone back after they opened to stick that sticker on. Actually, they should make sure there is always a supply in the lobby of the stickers. They had everything else. I really didn't think it meant that much since I don't always use them.

• alex1990
    12 years ago

Smitties, have you checked the DC lately? Hope your package gets to its destination soon!

• onethousandblooms
    12 years ago

Wow the Easter Basket Box is here from Beth_B._Kodiak

This is what she sent, a medium flat rate box, a basket with lime green shredded easter grass full of chocolates. There are 3 Huge ones she made, coconut, peanut butter & fruit, and several Cadbury Chocolate easter eggs. Okay I wait all year for one delicious peanut butter Cadbury as a splurge, & now yippie, there's chocolate eggs here for us to eat! Some amazing plant cuttings that look great, a kitchen towel that has a hand crocheted top, a teeny tiny little basket with miniature yellow feather chics (I love things like this, any bird in a basket, the smaller the better), LIME GREEN ..my favorite color right now... PEEPS,
    3 adorable frog rocks for the garden, really cute, & okay here is the amazing part...a book on French Intensive gardening called "How to Grow More Vegetables" printed in 1976. I think I died & went to heaven with this book!!!Talk about ESP. I consider myself a French Intensive Gardener and...the book is amazing...including a real photo from the 1890's with how they grew lettuce under those big glass bell jars. All the recipes for number seeds,number of plants,starting times, combination plantings are all figured out...& this book actually has a section on how to kill bugs with host plants, very detailed lists of plants/bugs. This book Beth sent is a miracle~~~Thank you. Emmylou
    aka onethousandblooms

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow these all sound like awesome baskets! i got my basket from Vina and wow! i am floored and don't quite know where to start. there were ladyfinger cookies, chocolate marshmallow eggs, chocolate truffles, and adorable chicken statue for the garden wearing red galoshes lol, a really cute test tube vase for the window, a chili pepper (which i am going to convert to a christmas ornament for the veggie patch section of the tree ), soap shape dlike a garden fairy that is too cute to use, a picture book of here comes peter cottontail, eggs filled with candy, all nestled in gold ribbon and wrapped in pictures her kids colored!!!! so cute and what a great idea. there were also bleeding heart plats, an adorable bunny shaped tin filled with seeds and a cool blue and green shell bracelet (and i have the perfect hippie skirt to go with it), and a red peony!!! i think the easter bunny probably got a hernia carrying this to my house LOL. ooo and a flower notebook and a cute card signed by all. thank you so much and tell billy and taylor i loved their coloring. i am smoothing one of them out and hanging it on my office door :)

little dog came home safe and sound-- exhausted and extra dirty, but better than she usually is after one of these excursions. thank you all for your support!

and now, for bingo!
    bonnet
    lamb
    quack
    tulip

Bonus word 'cause it's friday:
    columbine*
    Bonus word becasue little dog came home :):
    polliwog

for those of you who missed it, the person who gets the most bonus words gets a prize too :)
    how are the bingo boards? anyone close? i need to go through and mark all the lists i have.

hope everyone has a great weekend :)

• smitties
    12 years ago

Woo hoo, I am doing the happy dance for you Rose cause your little dog is home safe and sound.

I just checked on my DC and it was finally delivered today. I am going to get a roll of priority mail stickers to have here at home so I can be sure they are attached before the box leaves the post office. How ridiculous.

Cold and windy here today. I am so antsy to get in the garden and I feel like it will never happen.

The gift shop I work at is called Calico, Sage, and Thyme and carries fresh spices and herbs which is a big draw to the store. Every year we also get in live plants of herbs and perennials. I have only been there 6 months but I am so excited for the arrival of these plants because I get a discount. We will have several varieties of basil which I can't wait to grab up. There will be pineapple sage, stevia, and much much more. We will also have a couple of the newer types of coneflowers. It is just too exciting.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Margo