Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelady777

UPDATE: Now Cut That Out! (bulbs and cuttings swap) #9

Here's the original post from Mark below. We are now in the receiving stage and enjoying the fruits of the swap we've enjoyed since day 1! Thanks again, Mark, for an absolutely fun and enjoyable swap in every way!

Blessings,

Angela

-------------------------

NOW Cut that OUT! Cuttings & Bulbs swap.

This swap is for cuttings and live portions of plants of any type. Rhizomes, woody cuttings, leaf cuttings, bulbs, any part of a plant that you know will root and "clone" the plant.

This is as much an educational swap as it is about giving someone cuttings. Please research how your cuttings need to be treated so they will root. When you send your cuttings, please include directions on how to root your plant.

Now the rules:

1) Sign ups will be until March 1, 2009.

2) You will need to package and mail your cuttings in a priority mailer so they reach me on March 12 or 13, 2009.

3) I have a crew of volunteers that will sort, repackage and help ship the packages on the weekend so they can be returned in the mail on March 16, 2009 by priority mail.

4) When you send your cuttings, include postage for a small flat rate box ($10.35) and a return mailing label in your package so it can be returned to you.

5) Post on this forum what types of plants you can make cuttings and what type of cutting you are making (woody, leaf, rhizome, bulb, etc) and how many you can make like this:

Figs, Civil War Era unnamed variety: wood cuttings. (I can make as many as you like)

Lemongrass, bulbs (I have 10 to share)

Blue bearded iris, rhizome (I have 6 to share)

Pampas Grass, rhizome (I have 8 to share)

Lucky Bamboo, stem cuttings (I have 6 to share)

Butterfly Bush, woody cuttings (I can make as many as you like)

6) Read through what is being offered and send me an email what you wish to get and from whom.

7) On March 2-4, I will contact the person making available cuttings and tell them how many cuttings they need to send.

8) When sending your cuttings, wrap woody sections with a damp paper towel or newspaper and put into an zip lock bag or a cut 20 ounce soda bottle.

9) Rhizomes and bulbs need to be sent bare root or in loose peat.

10) Leaf cuttings need to be layered in damp (NOT WET) paper towels and put into a zip lock bag.

Please research your plants. There is a LOT we can all learn about cuttings and propagating them. If you have any questions, please ask.

Mark

Comments (150)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm glad you are all enjoying to pics...it's kinda fun to post them.

Here are the most recent roots on the pinot noir. 3 of 4 cuttings have roots. Took more cuttings over the weekend. They are still pretty much dormant...after all, we've only had snow (that we never get lol) 3 times in the past 4 weeks.

I didn't get a good clear pic of the third set of roots, but it has about a 1.5 inch root growing.

Here is the corkscrew willow....it's ready for planting! May take a few more cuttings to see if they will root now as well. Just a trial :)

I didn't take more pics of the kiwis, they are still going to town, I just don't want to keep taking them out of the bags until I pot them up. When I do, I'll take pics. In fact, I may set up a little blog showing how I rooted them cause there really isn't much on the web.

Took more cuttings over the weekend, so we'll see if they do as well as the first batch. They are semi dormant...but the leaf budding is just starting on the vines. I've been told by kiwi experts here on GW that cuttings can be taken until Summer, so this will be interesting.

Have quite a few things that are looking like they may root, but I have them in more opaque cups so I can't see without disturbing them. Will check them soon.

Also took cuttings of some English Laurel over the weekend and some Forsythia that has been abandond. It's smack dab in the middle of a huge blackberry and it's poor branches are sprawling to find sun. I noticed afew little yellow flowers and said "OH MY THAT'S FORSYTHIA!!! NAB IT!" LOL

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Can you believe that's only 10 days of growth from the first pic of the grapes? WOW!!! Once those little roots start...LOOK OUT! LOL

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

WOW!!! those are some awesome roots!! :) I'll have to remember the clear bottle trick next swap.. it's very encouraging to SEE what's going on.. I've been too afraid to pull any of mine up yet to see what kinda roots I've got.. I plan on it this wkend tho.. just gotta MAKE myself look and hope I don't disturb anything! This was such a fabulous swap!! The ones I'm having the hardest time with is the roses, they seem to almost die, then I'll see a leaf starting, then it'll fizzle out.. then another the next week. *fingers crossed!

Hugs,
    wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Wendy Keep the leafs trimmed back even if they do start growing so that the energy goes into making the roots.

Awesome roots on the plants. I know some of my roses I am pretty sure have rooted others I am afraid are not going to make it. I am hoping the ones I don't get to 'take' may get offered again in the next one... hint hint... :-) I am very happy with the rate of success I currenly have and have a lot of tips for the next swap. I have found some things work a lot better than other things and will make a list also.

Tammy

Tammy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Yesterday I hit the jackpot out on my mail route! One of the vineyards has begun to prune its grapes, and after speaking with the owner I've got 235 cuttings of cabernet flock grapes, 91 cuttings of pinot blanc, and that's just yesterday's haul! After dinner I'm making more cuttings from the pinot blanc I gathered today. I feel like a little kid with the keys to the candy store! I'm keeping a bunch of each type back for the next swap for you all!

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

OH WOW DAN!!! That's Awesome!!! I've tried the baggie method and the perlite method with mine. I have lots of roots on the pinot noir and root nodes just starting on both the candace and the concord grapes. So far, the perlite method is working best for me with the grapes. I'd love to have some of those grape cuttings :) especially the cabernet flock...but the pinot blanc sounds awesome too lol. Yeah I hear ya on the second childhood hehe.

I asked you before if you want more shells...not sure if you caught the offer in the other swap, but my little one and I just got back from walking the beach and we found a bunch of shells...Lots of Washington (type only found here) sandollars, moonsnails, snails, a bunch of mother of pearl types of shells...they're really pretty and a bunch of different types of clam shells. Some scalloped some smooth. If you'd like some, let me know.

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I would so love some of those grapes in the next swap. I can't believe you have that many. I can't imagine what that is going to look like. LOL
    I have been doing the same thing. Keeping a look out for things I can root and offer in the next one. I guess grape minds think alike... hehe. Oh well i know I'm corny but what can I say.

Tammy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

lol corny's good Tammy! :)

GREAT haul Dan! .. WOW!! :)

I'm going to be planting out a few cuttings from our swap this week! woohoooooo

Hugs everyone!
    ~Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Me too. I am getting ready to plant the black berrys and maybe a couple others after I check the roots. I am so excited. I will post photos of the ones I plant out so you all can see.

Tammy:-)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

Time for a quick check in...I have 3 grapes with roots and 2 kiwi but I think they may be the same sex. I had 2 pair and one of each has started to root but the other one of the pair has a nice big bulge where I think roots will begin. My banana put out a new leaf so I think it may like it here. All the iris are greening up and I hope to have some place to plant them in this fall.

On the medical front...my husband has been having a few good days and has been able to get outside to putter around in the yard with me. He helped me make a rain barrel out of a trash can so I can cut down on the water bill a little this year. We received some pretty scary news that he has a large polyp in his colon (Luckily NO CANCER) which has to be removed before the transplant work up can continue. We see a surgeon tomorrow to see if he will be able to have it removed...if not, well I don't want to think about it now.

I hope everyone continues to check in to let us know how things are growing! Dan I hope those grapes do well for you and I hope to find something really good to offer later in the season. Kim

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Kim, I have been saying prayers for you and your husband and will continue ask for strength for you and your husband as well as healing. I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts good luck with the surgeon.

Nichol

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Hey everyone I am getting ready to do another update. I have sooo much to tell and just haven't had the time to do it all.

My blackberry is taking off. I need to research how to plant it and where. Anyone have any suggestions is this one a bush or is it a vine that takes over? I think it was from Kim and don't want to bother her right now to ask. Anyone else know or any suggestions?

Tammy:-)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Tammy - I believe I sent you both himalayan (has rounded leaves and heavy stiff stems) and evergreen (has forked leaves and heavy stiff stems) blackberries. If it's either of them, especially the himalayan, they are very aggressive and put out LOTS of berries. They are a bush that grows into a large mound and will continue to reach father around each year. You'll want to take steps to contain it or cut it back each year. If it's a small vine like, it's a wild blackberry and not from me.

I think you also got a blackberry from cottageflowers. Not sure what kind.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

ROSES... I'm just curious if anyone else has had any of the Rose cuttings root? I'm not having much of any luck at all.. and that makes me so sad! I have been doing alot of research and quite a few sites say that the cutting should be a stem that has recently flowered... maybe they were too dormant ? I'm just curious if anyone else has had any luck yet and if so, what are you doing?

Kim ~ Still prayin' for you both hon.. *hugs*

Thanks!
    Wendy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

Hi Dirt - I think it was a the himalayan one so I will def. contain it. Thanks a bunch for the info. I think I may have the perfect spot. I will try and do something to contain it. Any ideas?

Tammy....

OH yeah, I found black pussy willows a bundle of about 20 and am rooting them now. I will be saving a couple for our next swap.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

I finally got the grapes done this afternoon...whew! Over 200 cuttings each of the pinot blanc and cabernet franc. Is this how vineyards start out? LOL! If these things start growing like they should, you all are gonna be starting up mini-vineyards! I'll keep you posted on their progress.
    Dirt, I just sent you an e-mail about the shells... I'd love some!
    More progress reports later.....
    -dan

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Tammy - Well on a large land parcel, we let them just grow and reep the rewards, but you can actually mow them over with a lawn mower in late fall and they will come back. Or if that makes you nervous, cut them back with a machette or hedge trimmer. You'll get brave after a few years lol. So keep them to the size you want. You really can't kill them unless you use roundup.

Mark was talking about using an open bottom bucket to plant them in or something to that affect. I guess burying it to keep a wall around it. But you can always get more plants from the one you have going :) honest lol.

Dan, got your email and sent one back :) My little one and I will fill a box of shells for you. He'll love it cause it counts for his science time in school.

Toni

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Toni,

I use deep items with the bottom cut out to contain aggressive things like bamboo, blackberries and lily of the valley.

I use 5 gallon buckets, 55 gallon barrels cut in half and even horse water troughs. You can find these things by trash piles because they have a hole in the bottom!

Mark

• gardenmom2
    15 years ago

Excellent ideas mark. I am planning on checking on the rest of my babies this weekend. See if I have any more roots. I will be planting out my blackberries and many other things, too. We are not supposed to have any rain for a week. OMG. It has rained here if not every day, 2 or 3 days then we get 1 that is cloudy. It is also supposed to get up to the 80's for the next week. I think my throat is sore. Yeah, my nose is thinking about running. I think I need to stay home Monday and catch it, right???? I would hate to get the kids at school sick with some weird disease, esp. if it is triggered by sunshine and warm, dry weather. LOL (I am getting mulch ths weekend, planting out my vege beds, flowers, building new vege beds, finishing the last side of the greenhouse, transplanting babies, etc..... I need a sick day).

Kim, I hope everything is going well for you and your husband and I pray you rec'd good news from the surgeon.

Nichol

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Whew! Dan, you've got to be wornnnn out! Those grape vines sounds great! My grandfather had a grapevine when I was a child and I used to love to play under it. He had it trained across uprights. I've never tried them myself though.
    Nichol, I'm like you. We're finally getting some dry sunny weather! Only a 30% chance of rain today. It's been so hard to work outside because it's been so wet.
    Wendy, I also got one of the rose cuttings and mine looks pretty bad. Not sure what I did wrong. The blackberries look absolutely beautiful though!
    Kim, all my prayers are with you and your husband.

Joan

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

A quick update on the grape cuttings I took on the 12th. I did 1/2 in the bottle with perlite and 1/2 of them in the baggie method wrapped with moist paper. The bagged ones are growing roots like crazy and the bottle ones don't seem to be doing anything yet. I'm still watching them, but it appears that bagging method speeds up the grape roots. Of course it's more difficult to see them all in the bottle, but I'll keep track of the different time frames.

The kiwi cuttings I took on the 12th haven't callused, instead they've been growing leaves. So I snipped off the new growth that started hoping it will force the energy into the lower end of the cuttings to push roots instead of leaves. I'll let ya'll know what it does.

Has anyone else had any luck with the grape cuttings from the swap? If so, what methods for rooting have you used?

I have root nodes on one of my Candace cuttings but it looks like the second didn't make it. Also I finally have small roots starting on 3 of the Concords...YAY!!! I'm being impatient lol

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I also have one of the candace already potted up. It was a LOT of roots I did a 50/50 mix on that one. the ones in straight perlite I didn't pull up yet. I may do that this weekend. My concords are in there. I will let you know as soon as i check.

Great idea on the black berrys. I am thinking of planting them this weekend and just wasn't sure where I should plant them. How is the thorns on them small or like wicked big?

I am also putting in my new rose bed this weekend. Any tips???

Kim - Let us know when you get more news on Johns condition. We all love you and are praying for you both.

Tammy

• patti1957
    15 years ago

This is my Pinot Noir (left) & Concord (right) yesterday just before I planted them. I also have rooted Candace but for some reason forgot to take a picture of it. It has been fun watching this stuff grow.

I had them in these containers. The container on the left has a mixture of sand and a seed starter mix, the container on the right has the same except more sand then seed starter mixtuer. The one with more sand has worked the best for me. The seed starter mix I used is a blend of Peat Moss, Perlite, Pumice and Washed Sand.

Here is Pussy Willow.

Corkscrew Willow

Here is one just because it is so beautiful I can't help myself :)
    Crater Lake

Patti

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Wow, some of you really had great results! Patti, I can hardly believe the roots on your plants. I don't think anything other than the willow and pussy willow rooted for me although I do still have two rose cuttings that are green and might make it. I tend to root things in August so maybe I just need to make adjustments for rooting things early in the year. The potatoes and garlic are doing great so I am so happy that I asked for those. Oh, and I can't remember the name, but the plant with the spikey thorns from Angela is still looking promising. I have it indoors so maybe that made it happier than the other plants were that were in the garage. I have not wanted to touch it to check for roots, but I think it either has some or will develop some because it still looks good.
    Well, I am going out to garden for a little while before it gets too hot.
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Oh that's so exciting!! Love to see other's successes as well! It's so awesome! I can't believe how much I've learned from this swap. Thanks for sharing the pics Patti - Oh I love Crater Lake too!

Tammy - Thorns on the H. blackberries are big! Like large rose thorns. The nice thing is the berries grow out beyond the nasty thorns, so they aren't a problem when you pick the fruit.

I found that my chocolate vine cutting is getting root nodes woohoo!!!

I also read that softwood - or current years growth - cuttings should be taken between May and late June. So, if any of you want to offer cuttings for the next swap, that's when they say they should be started. After that, they become hardened and need to be rooted as woody cuttings. I don't know if that is factual, but it sounded interesting when I read it. And it may help those who are looking to multiply their plants. I'd say experiment and try more cuttings, then try again after that. I'm loving this!!! It's so fun to experiment.

Hey I wonder if Mark should start a thread #10 for links to picks of successes. Maybe only links to pics, cause too many pics end up taking so long to load and I'm sure we all have a nice batch of successes lol. Just a thought. I feel bad for those with dialup on this thread...sorry guys for all my pics, but I wanted to share :)

I love to see and read about all the roots growing :)

Toni

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

People still have dial-up? Wow, I remember those days! I'm with you Toni, I feel for those people who do too! Keep posting those pictures though! They're great to look at! Last night I switched a bunch of grape cuttings into the perlite, so now I have 3 rooting methods going... perlite, baggie, and in the dirt. I'll report on them all as time progresses.
    -Dan

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How fun it's been catching up on all the posts while I've been AWOL. :-) Several of you are doing fantastic jobs with your cuttings.

I am still in limbo with mine for the most part, so I guess that's a good thing. I can tell they aren't all dead, but I can't tell if they have roots. I will certainly do this differently next time, though. I'm learning a whole lot. I also am enjoying the pictures. Keep the updates and tips for the rest of us coming!

Kim - Thanks for the update on your husband. I'm continuing to pray.

Dan - That's AWESOME that you got all those grape cuttings! WoooHooooooo!

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Dan - Keep them warm and moist. I'm finding that the grapes are rooting MUCH better at 70+ degrees. Same temp as my seed starting temps. I've devoted my upstairs Bathroom to starting seeds temporarily and have found that the rooting items are doing MUCH better in the warmer room. I'll have to take pics of my baggie with grape cuttings from the 12th It looks so funny with all those white roots taking over the bag. 8 of 10 have roots and the ones in the cup of perlite (taken the same day) are not doing anything yet. So it's looking like the baggie method is working quite well and faster than the bottle and medium.

I just checked on a few items. My Crape Mertyl has roots and my Orange Trumpet Vine has roots. YAY!!! Looks like my dragon fruit is just starting to get roots as well. Thank you so much for the cuttings, starts and plants everyone. I'm still keeping an eye on the others :)

The plants that came have faired very well. The Aloe, Rhubarb, Dahlia, Iris and others - can't think of them all right now, but they're doing well :)

I'll post more as I find new roots :)

Kim - Hope DH is doing better...we're still praying for him. Take care and be strong.

Toni

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I checked cuttings today and I think it's one of the kiwi that has a root. Hope it keeps going! Also, some of the azalea and camellia cuttings are starting to show signs of life. No roots yet, but I hope maybe one of them will grow roots. My garlic and potatoes are doing well. Unfortunatley it is now in the 90's here and the rain has left the area, so I will be out there a lot holding the garden hose from the looks of it. Oh, well, I knew all that rain this Spring was too good to last!
    Jeanne

• plant-one-on-me
    14 years ago

Hi all, I'm not sure if anyone is still checking out the swap group but I thought I would check in. Things have been going crazy around here and I don't have much time on the computer. My husband's surgery did not go as planned. The doctor was unable to remove the polyp. John's only hope is that it was benign so the surgeon is going to council with all the staff and the transplant institute to see if it is possible for John to get his transplant. We will hopefully know something next week. Kim

Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad I stopped in tonight. I am saying even more prayers for your husband, Kim, in regards to this situation that has come up.

It's nice to hear that there are more successes and some of them are the plants I sent in. I was really too scared to ask. Anyone else having success with something I sent in for them? I understand if it's all running together who sent what in, etc... it's a bit of a blur here, too! LOL

I dragged my butt out of bed today (still sick) and upstairs to cuttings container on the heat mat. I haven't even been up to mist them. Some things have passed, but most are looking about the same as before. One thing in particular is looking fantastic and is about ready to transplant. That BLEW me away as you couldn't see nothing on it a week a go hardly... just some small leaves starting... it's got full blown leaves now and a base shock full of roots that I see through the clear pot. Wow! It's my Concord Grape! Yippeee! One of my bigger wants!

Most of my garlic are all doing well. One variety just didn't like the heat here. It came up and the ends almost immediately fried and then they died. I think it had Glacier in its name... I guess I learned not to go with cold sounding names, huh?... not as long as I live in the desert anyways.

My potatoes have gone mental... those suckers are HUGE! I literally am seeing several inches to a foot growth every 2 or 3 days. I planted them in cardboard boxes that were pretty big and tall. I've added soil until it's reached the top and they look like they just want to keep going. I'm thinking of slipping another box over it to raise it even more. What would you do? Should I leave it or add to it?

My Himalayan Blackberry started to grow then withered up and died. The other two blackberry varieties are growing like crazy. The few flowers I got all seem like they're doing well. One in particular looks fantastic like it doesn't mind the heat here at all. I think it was Lily of the Valley? I'll try to remember to check the tag.

I'm sure I'll have more updates later on, but since I was feeling good enough to check on things, I thought I best report in while I still felt up to it.

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Well, the grape cuttings I got are going great!

My corkscrew willow is WILD!

My various iris are starting to peek up.

I lost a lot of garlic. My blasted chickens dug up my garlic bed.... So they are all messed up.

All my mints except the lemon balm, orange and apple mints are going well.

Jerusalem artichoke is about 6 inches tall.

Potatoes are all going MAD!

not sure what else right now. Dealing with a nasty sinus headache.

Ok, dates for the summer swap: How does everyone feel about cuttings and plants getting here August 7th and a ship out date back to you on August 10th?

Mark

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Angela - I would def. add to it. Too many potatos I have never heard of. LOL

Kim- Praying John will get on the list and get the transplant. Stay strong.

I had a baddddd day last week it was in the 90s and my greenhouse top did not open -it is suppost to auto open.... But somehow got stuck as I just put the auto opener back on. So needless to say I lost stuff. By the time I realized it it was over 120 in there and not sure exactly how hot because my thermometer topped out. Anyway it was HOT to say the least and I lost a bunch of seedlings and a couple other things.

I am having pretty good rate of success with the cuttings. A couple of the roses took a turn for the worse, still have over half hanging in there. Next time I am going to be trying the direct in ground with glass jar over it method.

My potatos are doing well. They are just starting to sprout about 2 inches...

Bee balm is out in the ground already

Blackberries are going out as soon as it stops raining

Irises are about 3 inches tall. Yeah!

Mints are great and planted already. -except the apple it didn't make it :-(

Garlics are all doing great and out in the ground about 4-5 inches tall (The only one that did not make it was the red italian I think it was called... have to look)

I have callouses on a ton of plants -I just checked yesterday on all the ones in the large prop chamber.

All grapes are rooted and growing

Mock Orange is leafing out and def. Rooted. Already potted up also

rose of sharons are just breaking roots

Walking stick looks like its callousing but no roots yet. This one I am realllly wanting so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have heard it is hard to root so if anyone gets it please let me know what you did.

Tammy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Mark - I'll send you some garlic in the Fall swap. Sounds like you have some great items going from the swap! It's so exciting! I'm in on the next one, so I'll be watching for it :) When do you think you will post for it to start? A month earlier or more?

Those dates are a bit tight for me, but hey, it worked last time, when we were headed out of the state, so I can manage :) It's right in the busiest time of our show season, but it will work out okay. I'll make it work lol :)

A note to anyone doing cuttings of diciduous shrubs and perennials...Late May through Late June is a perfect time for soft wood cuttings on shrubs like boxwoods, euonymus, etc, so if you want to get them started before the swap...it's perfect then. After that the wood hardens off and starts are not as easy to get going until spring.

I have some items I'm going to get going ahead of time, just so there's some excitement or ray of hope when the packages arrive. I also figured out a PERFECT way to send tender cuttings or tiny seedlings and I'll share it when the swap starts. It's super easy and will ensure safe delivery of tender little items.

Toni

• victorian_bellefonte
    14 years ago

Toni,

I'd love to know your perfect way to send seedlings! I have some seedlings that I'd like to include in a swap, and have been puzzling over how to best package them. Do you mind posting?

thanks!
    Elizabeth

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Sure Elizabeth -

What you'll need...
    -2 plastic cups - I purchased mine at WalMart and size depends on the size of starts you have.
    -2 tooth picks
    -pair of sharp scissors with point (or scissors and a needle or something to poke through the plastic)
    -tape
    -seedlings/rooted cuttings

Place your seedling in the bottom of one cup.

With a sharp pair of scissors/needle/nail something sharp, poke 2 holes on one side of cup, just above the seedling's pot/plug top. Make sure that the holes are to the inside of the edge of the plug - on the opposite side of the cup, poke 2 more holes, again, inside the edge of the plug.

Take one toothpick and run through one hole on one side and through the matching hole on the opposite side. Then do the same with the other toothpick.

As you look into the cup, it should have two toothpicks holding the plug in place as the pic shows.

Take the second cup and cut the bottom out as shown in the pic below, keeping about 1/2 of the height of the cup or so.

Draw lines from the cut side toward the rim of the cup, leaving about 1/4 inch from the rim. These don't have to be exact. But divide the cup into about 6-8 cuts as shown.

Begin folding and taping the cut sections together. Continue around until all cuts are taped down.

Place the taped cup top on the cup with the seedling in it and tape the two together. This creates its own little greenhouse.

Hope it helps :)

Toni

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh and I forgot to add...I put the cup in a ziplock bag and make sure it has a bit of moisture in it, so it stays moist but not wet. You can pack around it with news paper or packing peanuts or even those air bags. If you're packing them with other things that may be heavier, put some cardboard around the cup - like blocking it in the corner of the box. That way it won't get crunched from the other items.

Toni

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

WOW Toni, can I add this to my swap too? That is freakin GENIUS! If you don't mind that is, email and let me know if I can PLEASE Thanks.... :)

Mark, I told you before if you do this swap I would be the first to sign up BUT you did it when I couldn't you know I told you why I just couldn't join at that time. I WILL sign up this time! This was too much fun to be miss out on darn it!
    I hope you feel better soon!!!

Tammy man that sucks about the greenhouse!

HEY EVERYONE!!! (Waving) How is everyone doing?

I am glad I checked in on this thread, now I know when Mark plans the next one!!!

Later,
    :) Fran

• victorian_bellefonte
    14 years ago

Toni,

That IS GENIUS! Wow, I'm so impressed! Thanks so much for sharing that with us!

I really want to do this swap next time...had a great time hearing and seeing everyone's stories on how things are growing.

Any chance you will do another swap before August? I know where my bulbs are now! ;)

:) Elizabeth

Original Author
    14 years ago

Mark - Awesome to hear your excited voice! We've missed you! I am not sure about August for me, but I'm unusually hot in late July and early August compared to most zones. I may have to skip that swap... we'll see...

Thanks for the potato advice, ladies! I'm adding more and more as we speak. I'm wondering how high these suckers can go! It's amazing to see plant life when you're new to gardening, that's for sure!

Tammy - Sorry to hear about the greenhouse mishap... :-( .... As for the Red Italian garlic, I think that was the only other one I had an issue with other than the Glacier one. I guess it like cooler temps as well.

Toni - I can't wait to hear about the shipping on the tender plants. Ooooh, I see you already gave us pics and step by step instructions! Too cool! Thanks so much for all tips you've given us all to learn from on this swap. I'm super grateful!

Fran - Hey, girl! Here's a big howdyyyyyyy to you! LOL! It's good to know you'll be in the next swap!

Elizabeth - I sure hope you join Mark's next swap. I can guarantee you won't regret it! I may just be a lurker, but I'm sure you'll be glad you did it! I am still very excited every time I check in for this swap. :-D

Blessings,
    Angela

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Toni ~ that IS awesome! and it actually looks like a pretty star on the top too... maybe u should do it in sharpie colored markers! hehe

Good to see ya joining Miss Fran! :)

I would love to join in again, especially now that I've Id'ed some of the bushes and plants that were in my mom's yard, I have a better idea of what's out there to offer! Plus I did miserably w/ my rose cuttings and I'm really hoping to try them again a different way this next go-round.

Also, the Jasmine that I sent cuttings for.. it is blooming right now and it smells SOOO delicious! It's growing up the front porch so you smell it immediately when you come up to my house. :)

Hugs,
    Wendy

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Mark,
    I can't wait to join this swap again when you post it!

Joan

Original Author
    14 years ago

My banana resurrected itself! Woohooo! I thought it was dead and now I have two new leaves that came up!

I'm sad that my Valerian root appears to also have died from too much heat. I'll let you know if it resurrects.

Blessings,
    Angela

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Wendy,

I am jealous. I am soooo wanting jasmine and my cutting didn't make it :-(

Oh well I will do better next time!

Tammy

Original Author
    14 years ago

Wendy, somehow I didn't end up getting any Jasmine. Maybe next swap.... :-(.... It's sounds like it smells just wonderful! :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

• plant-one-on-me
    14 years ago

Thought I would do an update on how things are growing...

My banana is putting on a new leave every 2-3 days! I have wanted one for so long and it really makes me so happy to see it going so good. Let me see what else I can remember...the garlic did pretty good, some did better than others but all put out at least 2-3 bulbs so it will be multplied well.

All my potatoes are looking really good except the all blue and all red. I think I kept them too wet and they rotted---big bummer.

2 of the 4 kiwi rooted, I hope one is male and one is female but I still haven't given up hope they will all root.

3 of 5 grape are growing well, at least 1 of each kind.

The fuschia 4:00 is starting to show some green.

The chocolate mint looks and tastes good! I think the orange one did not make it.

The white iris, black widow, daffodil all look about the same but at least not dead.

The pampas grass has put up a couple pieces of green.

About 1/2 of my strawberries are greening up really nice.

Hum, cannot think of anymore off hand but most of the woody cutting have done nothing so far.

Best of all I had a great time! I am not sure how things will be going closer to August but I hope I can get in on the next one. Kim

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Kim - Won't have them for the summer swap, but I'll have plenty of all blue and all red to share, come the fall or spring swap. Plus Purple Majesty. Just remind me when it comes around. After the swap my initial shipment came in so my garden is like a forest of spuds. I ended up with 5 lbs of seed spuds in all blue. I'll also have LOADS of J-chokes if anyone wants any.

We're still keeping you and hubby in our prayers. Stay strong! Doors are opening and I pray they bring a miraculous outcome...I know it's hard....but know you have many here pulling for the two of you.

Wanted to post a quick update. As I've been posting, I've been experimenting with the grape cuttings, to see how late they would root. I've been told they have to be taken in the late fall or winter and I've been told they won't root any time but early Spring, before they come out of dormancy, so I decided to prove that to myself....I took a few cuttings on Easter, April 12th and they have rooted beautifully, but also took cuttings on April 26th and they are beginning to root like crazy too. I'm not sure, at this point, what kind of success rate the 26th cuttings will have, but they are beginning to shoot roots everywhere. Had a 9-1 rate with the 12th cuttings, so I'll keep track of the 26th cuttings. This was the bagging method AND I pinched off any larger leaf growth to force energy back down in the stem. They are now starting new leaf growth.

Did the same with some new kiwi cuttings. Had to pinch out new growth from the kiwis, but they appear to be pushing roots. I don't know the success rate, but they all look good so far. I'll post again when I know.

Oh bless her heart, I was in a swap with another GW'r and she sent me some REALLY Special cuttings. She started them before she sent them, so I walked her through the process, but she did such a great job! When I received the packages of cuttings, one of the cuttings already had roots over 1/4 inch long. If that isn't just amazing!!!!!!!!

I love cuttings!!!!!!! I'M HOOKED!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR OPENING THIS DOOR MARK!!!!!

If a new thread is opened I'll post some more pics...

Oh I want to see more pics of others roots and successes.

If anyone needs help posting pics, please let me know, it's very easy, I'd be happy to help.

Toni

Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasn't sure about my Iris and Horseradish since they haven't done a thing since I got 'em, but I have green coming up out of the ground now! Woohoooooo!

Thanks, everyone, for posting when you can about your plants from this swap. I just love hearing how you all are doing with them.

Blessings,
    Angela

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Boo-hoo - I don't believe any of the cuttings from this swap have rooted. Some looked promising for awhile. (I am so glad I asked for some potates and garlic. They are doing very well. However, I also have nice potatoes growing from the peelings in my compost pile so it must be a good year for potatoes here - LOL!)
    I don't think I will be able to swap in the next cutting swap. It's just too hot here at that time of the year. However, when I sign up for other swaps and the weather is appropriate, I will be encouraging people to send cuttings to me. I like to keep trying.
    It's wonderful that some of you have had such good luck.
    Jeanne

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Found some more info on rooting kiwis, so hopefully it will work better than the last method. They say that dormant cuttings don't root, but I know I had many that did. Not quickly, but they did root. Anyway, they have recommendations for summer cuttings and I'm going to get those started for the next swap. Hoping I can send in already rooted cuttings for those that didn't have any luck with the first ones.

I tried a number of pinot noir cuttings, so I have them coming out my ears lol. They seem to root ANY time that they aren't dormant. Have quite a number of cuttings with wiskers that are ready to go in the dirt.