Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panhandle_seed_swap

obf april 2014 swap: buried treasure!

OBF (Our Bloomin Friends) is membership group of regular participants having the option to join a swap here each month. Membership is required in order to participate. Please contact Shirley (Brittneysgran) or Carol (veeja3), if you want more information about becoming a member. Come join us this spring!

We all have buried treasure right in our gardens! For this swap, dig-up one buried "plant treasure" from your garden and send it to your swap partner. Seeds are a "treasure to be buried" so they definitely count, too. Another option would be to purchase a plant, root tuber or bulb from your local garden center or online.

Please include some extra "treasures" in your package... anything that your swap partner might like. You can use a treasure theme or an Easter theme, after all, Easter can be one big treasure hunt! Your "buried treasure" needs to get to your partner before April 30th. You can mail it in a bubble mailer or box... whatever works for what you are sending.

THE SWAP SIGN-UP DEADLINE IS APRIL 3. I will draw partners the following morning.

There will be a fun raffle as well. Everybody loves to find treasure! Tell us about a treasure that you found. It can be something you found on a walk, on vacation, at a yard sale or a thrift store, etc. It does not have to be valuable, just meaningful. When you post your story, you will be entered in a raffle for a great prize. One entry per person. Post your treasure story anytime before April 23rd. I will draw 2 winners that morning.

We are going to play Pirates Treasure Bingo (with a great prize for the winner!), in addition to the "treasure story" raffle.

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 7:28

Comments (150)

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Good Morning OBF's.
    It's staying colder here later than normal this year. Monday night got down to 34. The lady that organizes our annual plant swaps said her perennials aren't even up yet and the spring plant swap is the 27th.
    We've been in San Antonio for the last couple of days. It was a nice little road trip. Lots of Texas natives blooming, Texas Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, pink primrose, verbena and many others.
    And of course we stopped in Lockhart for some Texas barbecue.
    I'm loving all the pictures and stories.
    Smitties, glad your treasures arrived safely and before Easter.
    What Easter plans do you all have?
    I have 10 bingo words.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Ruth-I think this winter may not end!!!!! We had temps of 29 Monday and 32 Tuesday. After Church on Sunday I have close to 30 coming to our house to eat and hide eggs. I have had this for years, the kids like hiding the eggs in my flowers. We even hide a gold and silver egg for the grown-ups to find. We have money in both to make it more challenging.

I am looking for some brug cuttings if anyone has any for trade. I may have something you are looking for in a trade.

Shirley

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Shirley, your Easter egg hunt sounds like fun. Don't know if we'll do one this year, but my 13 year old grandson did say he's not too old to hunt eggs. Of course we always put money in some of the eggs and that may be his motive.

I have some brugmansia's but haven't put them outside yet so I'm not sure if they all survived winter. I know some have green leaves and some don't have any leaves.
    Check my list if you'd like and I can let you know.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TODAYS BINGO WORDS:

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    "X"
    SHIP

Your Easter party sounds like so much fun, Shirley! :)

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Yeah I'm getting close to having BINGO.....

Ruth-Would love any brugs...lost all mine. But since you have this awesome list I can't resist in checking them all out. I truly want one of every color if possible. How about Cherub, Naughty Nick, Eternity, Isabella, Whiskers and the Species Dbl white. Our last frost date here is May 9th so anytime on them will be OK. Thanks and let me know what you are looking for in a trade. I have daylilies, irises, crocosmia, hostas, helleborous, lilies, and a few other things.

Shirley

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Good morning to all you ladies! It's going to be a beautiful day! I have a lot of things to plant in pots for the patio and few more things to add to flower beds. Still need to clean out some! I think I have too many! LOL!
    For Easter, going to church and having a small dinner for me and my stepdad. Maybe for Austin also, unless he goes home.
    For those of you who have prayed for my 2 grandsons, thank you so very much! The littlest is now going to school. He missed a few days this week due to a bad cold, but he's got his homework caught up and though he seems weak, he is so much better. Still no answers, and hopefully whatever it was it won't show up again. The oldest who is here with me, came home a week and half ago. The 15
    days in the hospital and 2 surgeries really took it's toll. He is doing better than I thought he would. He lost 32 lbs. during the ordeal. Already got 3 back and is getting stronger by the day. I'm feeding him well and he's drinking protein drinks in between. But thanks to all of you!
    I hope each of you has a wonderful Easter and remember what the holiday is for ! Hugs, Melinda

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

Ruthz I would love a couple of cuttings of your brugs. I only have a frosty pink a noid yellow a noid white. not even at blooming size. please check my list to see if we can trade.
    interested in
    whiskers
    rose traum
    dr seus
    naughty nick
    cherub
    species
    well honestly im interested in any i can get my hands on. lol.

I have been enjoying reading about all of you, getting to know more about you.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BINGO WORDS DRAWN SO FAR:

SAND
    PARROT
    CAPTAIN

HIGH SEAS
    RUBYS
    DAVEY JONE'S LOCKER

RUM
    DIAMONDS
    SWASHBUCKLER

EYE PATCH
    MUSKET
    WOODEN LEG

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW
    SHOVEL
    DOUBLOONS

PEARLS
    MAST
    BLACK BEARD

LIMES
    EMERALDS
    SKULL

MAP
    PEICES OF EIGHT
    WALK THE PLANK
    EARRINGS

SAILS
    FIRST MATE
    SWORD
    CANNON BALL

NECKLACES
    COMPASS
    AVAST ME MATIES

ISLAND
    GOLD COINS
    ANCHOR

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    "X"
    SHIP

I'm posting all the BINGO words so far, so you could double check. Someone should be winning soon!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU, Susan (skyblue52), for the wonderful buried treasure package... I love it! (see photo) So much from my wish list... thank you!

I'm so excited, that I'm going to plant almost everything tonight!!! The pretty dragonflies are already hanging-up. Love everything!

I've never had Godiva Chocolate before... can you believe that? I'm going to eat some BEFORE dinner. Ha! The joys of being a grown-up (sort-of).

Susan, I gave you a great review on the "Rate and Review Exchanges" forum. Now everyone can now how incredibly thoughtful you are. ;) Thank you!

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Melinda-Oh my goodness I thought is was Christmas when I opened your box. Thank you so much dear friend. I received an Easter card and loved the scripture:
    And go quickly and tell his disciples he is risen. And what a blessing to all who believe...Amen.

Also in the box was a rock plaque which said lose yourself in nature and find peace. As gardeners we all know this is so true.
    Two darling bunnies
    Note cards
    Wind Spiral
    Two pineapple lilies
    Three Calla lilies 'Summer Sunset'
    Sedum Cherry Truffles
    Sedum Widows Cross
    Hens & Chicks from her Mom's gardens....I know these must be such a blessing to you in memory of your Mom.
    Jelly Bellies...Yum my favorite
    And a Book titled Always my Friend-So glad you signed it Melinda.

Thank you again

Getting the yard ready for the big day tomorrow.

I guess you all can identify what this pond was made from:

More tulips

My Red Bud Tree in bloom

Snowball bush

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HAPPY EASTER!

TODAY'S BINGO WORDS:

PLUNDER
    CROSS BONES
    SILVER

Buried Treasure Packages Received By:

Jayeanne (pinkiris)
    Melinda (ilovefarac)
    Margo (smitties)
    Nikki (cinnie0)
    Sheri (panhandle_seed_swap)
    Shirley (Brittneysgran)

Really wonderful package, Melinda!

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Sherri, It looks like the word plunder was the last one on my list and makes me a Bingo Winner. I could be wrong, so please check. I Have NEVER won Bingo. So I Am wondering If I did it correct.
    Shirley, Your package sounds delightful and your yard pictures are beautiful. Is the bush in the last photo a viburnum? I had one in MD and loved the smell..
    Ruth , you are not forgotten. I will have your package at the PO on Tuesday
    Happy Easter to all.

• smitties
    9 years ago

Beth, congratulations, you beat me to the win with the word, plunder. The early bird gets the worm, (however that is properly said, LOL). I have won the game before so I glad you beat me to it.

Happy Easter everyone.

Margo

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Congratulations Beth! I still needed one word and that wasn't it!
    Glad your package arrived Shirley! I hope the widow's cross makes it, if it doesn't let me know and I'll send more. It is one of my finickier ones to transplant but comes back nicely in the spring.
    Happy Easter to all and hope everyone has a very blessed day! I'm off to finish off some of my dinner, so won't have much to do when get home from church!
    Melinda

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Beth! Beth's BINGO prize is a "Bowl of Beauty" Peony! I'll email you today. :)

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 6:56

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Congratulations Beth.
    I'm behind several people, but this is the first time I've even gotten all the bingo words.
    Playing was fun.
    Wishing everyone a Blessed Easter.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Happy Easter ladies what a beautiful day the Lord has given us on this glorious day. Praise his name.

I had BINGO as well with the word Silver...Congratulations Beth.

Beth-Yes the snowball bush is a viburnum. I love the mint green balls on it as well as when it turns snow white.

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the beautiful Easter message and all the really lovely photos that you've posted. I really enjoy them.

Sheri

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Good morning ladies and a Happy Easter to all who celebrate it!

Beth- Congrats on the BINGO! You beat me by just one word!

Shirley- Lovely pictures!! Is that fountain made from an old satelite dish??

Nikki- Thank you SO MUCH for the wonderful treasure box!! I knew something special was inside because it smelled sooo good even before I opened it. Inside I found a lovely little easter basket filled with the most amazing smelling Bamboo Spa white tea bath salts, chocolate, hard candies, and a snowglobe with flowers inside. I spent forever shaking it before bed last night, lol. There were seeds for Canna "indian shot", pink hollyhocks and a sunflower mix, as well as a stargazer lily bulb (I have a perfect spot for it), two allium "molly luteum" (with bright yellow flowers!) and two "glory of the snow" bulbs. I've never heard of glory of the snow but Oh My Gosh it looks like a beauty online!

Everything is going into the ground today before we go to Easter dinner with Mike's mom. I'll also be digging up some treasures to send out, and putting together a compost bin made of wooden pallets, so it will be a wonderful day!!

~Laura

9 years ago

Laura I am so glad you enjoyed your treasure, and that everything made it alright I was worried about the snow globe. Enjoy the bath salt. I have been thinking about running back over and picking some up for me it smelled sooo good. LOL.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE! Enjoy your day and stay safe.

• mellen
    9 years ago

Bingo!

Happy Easter, everyone!
    ME

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

We went away for the weekend, just got back today and my Buried Treasure was waiting for me.

Margo sent me a treasure box filled with wonderful treasures! Mints, gold coins, Endless Love Gladiolas, crososmia Emberglow, an Asiatic lily - no name but it will be fun to see it bloom, nail clippers, hand moistureizer, Dazzling Diamond Hand gel, and 2 Miricle Gro Gro-ables one with Basil and one with Globe tomato. I will get those planted today since it isn't too long before I will be planting outside.

Hope everyone is having a Happy Easter.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to draw the "Treasure Story Raffle" winners early in the morning on April 23rd!!! You still have today and tomorrow to share your treasure story, so you can be in the raffle. I will draw 2 winners.

Treasure Story Raffle entries so far:

Shirley S.
    Margo
    Beth
    Melinda
    Annie
    Sharon
    Nikki
    Ruth
    Jayeanne

Jayeanne (pinkiris)
    Melinda (ilovefarac)
    Margo (smitties)
    Nikki (cinnie0)
    Shirley (Brittneysgran)
    Laura (lilangel181)
    Sharon (toomanyanimals)

Wonderful treasure packages Nikki and Margo! :)

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

Laura, I have Chionodoxa forbesii and Chionodoxa luciliae Pink Giant. I love them both. They will multiply from seed, but not so much that it isn't easy to keep up with pulling them if you don't want them to spread. Mine are just finishing their bloom now. I have planted a few in the back and the deer have not touched them yet. :o)
    sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Ruth, I discovered that the Post Office is open today. So, your package is in the mail. Should arrive about Wed or Thursday.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I hope everyone had a beautiful Easter!!! It was a lovely day hanging with my brothers and sisters and relatives.

Beth, I will be getting your buried treasure in the mail this week...hopefully tomorrow! Congratulations on BINGO!!!

Loving the buried treasures that are being received!

Happy Monday!

Annie

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Mellen-Your buried treasure box is going in the mail tomorrow.

Annie-Nothing like hanging out with family on special days.

Shirley

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

I almost forgot to tell yall about our treasure hunt through mom's art last week. (Raffle story time!)

My mom collects all types of art. Some of it is by local artists, some by famous people but she got a good deal, and my favorite category is her "I like it for that low price...". She buys so many pieces she let Mike and I go through a closet full! I would pull out something I like, and Mike would give it a thumbs up or down. If we both liked the piece it then went to mom (who made herself comfy on a nearby couch) who would say something like "oh take it. I got that piece off eBay- it just didn't have the same appeal in real life" or "no yall can't take that one. Thats a local famous artist who lives in midtown but almost never sells anything!"

We brought home a tryptic, two large abstracts, and a piece with bright color handmade paper patterns. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
    ~ Laura

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Laura....how cool! What a fun treasure hunt!! Your Mom comfy on the nearby couch...LOL!

Beth....your package left for MO today. I do hope it arrives safe....not one of my better pack jobs! I would think delivery Thursday or Friday.
    tracking # 9114 9011 8986 6788 4946 12

Annie

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning! The "Treasure Story" Raffle winners are Nikki and Shirley.

Congratulations, ladies! I should be able to get your prizes in the mail by this afternoon. Thank you to everyone who participated! It really made this swap fun!

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Congratulations Nikki and Shirley! And what a wonderful way to get everyone to share stories, Sheri!!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Congratulations to Nikki and to Shirley! I loved all the pics, all the stories and this swap in general! Great job Sharon!
    Hope everyone has a great day! Melinda

9 years ago

Yay!!!!!!!!!! Thank you I cant wait to get it.. I really enjoyed this swap. I had fun playing bingo, meeting all of you and reading your stories. Cant wait to see what the next swap will be.
    Congrats Shirley.

• mellen
    9 years ago

Nice packages, everyone.

Annie, yours is packed.....now to get it to the PO. It will be today or tomorrow.

Shirley, I will be on the watch. Thank you!

ME

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Congratulations to you as well Nikki....we both won.

Laura-Would love to see the pictures of the art pieces. I think everyone loves finding those treasures.

Mellen-Your box did get shipped yesterday, should arrive Friday. I have the delivery confirmation if needed.

I've been working on a small flower bed in town that I started last year. All the flowers are pink in memory of the cancer survivors. I found some pink dianthus but need more pink flowers. Hopefully Lowe's or some of the nurseries will get some pretty pinks in soon so I can finish it.

Shirley

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Wow, I almost feel guilty posting what a haul my buried treasure chest had in it.
    What an awesome package you put together Beth.
    I love white daylilies and that's a late blooming one which is a bonus since I don't have many lates.
    4 plants
    Maximilian sunflowers, Achillea Terra Cotta, Lime Frost daylily & sedum
    2 garden tools
    plantmarkers
    chapstick
    2 really cute knomes
    & malted milk eggs (mostly gone now)

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Ruth glad your package arrived safely and extra glad you like the white daylilies. I've been partial to the whites since the early 70's when they were trying to develop a white. Lately I've looked at wether they are fragrant. So far none have had any smell that I really notice. That's OK. I like them anyway.lol
    Sherri I am so excited still about winning BINGO. That was a fun surprise and thanks to all who sent congratulations. This has been a fun swap.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Congratulations Shirley and Nikki!!!!!!

Shirley, what a beautiful remembrance....a pink flower garden in memory of cancer survivors, how divine the garden will be when in bloom! Your town allows you to do this....how very nice!!!! Does your town have several small plots for people in the community to garden?

Sheri, sent you an email last night!

Annie

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jayeanne (pinkiris)
    Melinda (ilovefarac)
    Margo (smitties)
    Nikki (cinnie0)
    Shirley (Brittneysgran)
    Laura (lilangel181)
    Sharon (toomanyanimals)
    Ruth (Ruthz)

What a terrific package, Beth. Good job!

I love that you're doing that pink flower bed for cancer survivors, Shirley. Please keep us posted on it.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, go ahead and start your OBF May swap anytime you'd like. Thank you for doing the May swap. I'm excited for it.

I got your email and replied. It got returned to me for some reason. I'll email you from here, too.

• smitties
    9 years ago

Sheri, great swap for this month. Thank you so much for doing this for all of us. I do believe it was a huge success.

Shirley, your post inspired me to put in a new pink garden. I am a huge supporter of breast cancer research with my mom being a survivor and my friend going through treatment right now. By the way, for those of you who know about Caprice, she is doing amazingly great!

Raining here today which is good because I planted 20 small bushes the other day and this means I don't have to go out and fill buckets from the pond to water them.

TGIF. Have a great weekend everyone. Margo

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Sorry I'm running behind getting my treasure box out. Work dropped 3 extra shifts on me... great for the pocketbook, but its exhausting! I promise to send out my package next day off and will get a tracking number too.

And now off to work (again!)
    ~ Laura

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

My wonderful, treasure packed parcel arrived from Annie this AM. There were two candy bars with a note that sharing was optional. Since Jack is taking me for a steak dinner tonight, I thought I could spare him some Chocolate. It is Yummy dark Chocolate with almonds and sea salt. Never tried this before but love it!
    A pretty kitchen towel with a chili pepper design, A packet with reblooming iris. A first time item that I look forward to seeing for years.. A nice big chunk of a NOID daylily. I love em all and enjoy surprises. I'll plant this and label it as "Annie".... also my Mother's name..
    I got a micro planer, something I have thought I wanted/needed several times but never remembered to buy. So, That is a big plus for that item.
    In the bottom of the bag I could hear/ feel something I expected to be hard candies...... but Ahah.......It was more REAL treasure. Some coins and a lot of shiny pebble shaped marbles. These will become part of my planned Fairy village. Not sure yet how I'll use them but they have lots of possibilities
    . Such fun AND I'm going to the Master Gardeners Spring Plant Sale tomorrow. I want to see how far I can stretch the coins at the sale. Annie this package is SUPER and I'm enjoying all the adventure of a treasure hunt with the goodies you sent. Many many thanks.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Beth...I sent you an email via GW. I hope you found the three pieces of paper buried inside the daylily!

MAY SWAP
    I am hosting the May Swap....I will post on Sunday or Monday. A hint for what is to come...."we will celebrate something for one woman".....LOL! And if anyone EMAILS me by Sunday (3PM Pacific) with what they think this swap will be about.....will win a prize.

Happy Friday!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:20

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

April is disappearing fast! Susan, Annie and Mary Ellen are the only ones waiting for their packages, I believe.

• mellen
    9 years ago

I have been gone most of this week.....Shirley's box for me did arrive just not sure which day. Will open it tomorrow.

My box to Annie went out and hope she gets it on Monday.

ME

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

I was hoping Mary Ellen had received hers today. I have a tracking number in the car and will have to retrieve it and see where the package is.

Great box you received Beth. Our Master Gardeners sale is May 3rd and on May 10th the Franklin Garden club members is having one. I participate in both since I am a member. I do like getting to check out all the plants before the crowd gets there.

Margo good for you on the pink garden, and I really like pink.

Annie-The Franklin Garden Club members take care of two sites of gardens in our town. Being a member and working in the gardens I saw potential with the pink garden and told them I wanted to keep all the flowers in it pink and have a survivor plaque made to tell everyone why it was all pink.
    I just found some more beautiful pink flowers at Lowe's to add to it on Monday. When it is finished I will take a picture and post it.

Going to Atlanta tomorrow to check out yard sales....can't wait to see what treasures will be found.

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mellen! :) I emailed Laura, so we should get an E.T.A. on Susan's package.

I also emailed Annie and asked if I could "piggyback" onto the May swap thread, since this one is almost full. We'll do our final "thank yous" there. Thanks so much everyone for a great April swap!
    Sheri

Did anyone guess this?:

"MAY SWAP
    I am hosting the May Swap....I will post on Sunday or Monday. A hint for what is to come...."we will celebrate something for one woman".....LOL! And if anyone EMAILS me by Sunday (3PM Pacific) with what they think this swap will be about.....will win a prize.

Happy Friday!

Annie"

9 years ago

I got my raffle prize today. its glads wine n roses, thank you so much Sheri.

• mellen
    9 years ago

Dear Shirley,
    WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW..........just opened my box from you!
    Received-
    Bearded Iris-Cream Cake
    Blackberry Lily-Hello Yellow
    Canna-Madame Butterfly
    Canna-Tropical Sunrise
    Daylily-Salmon Sunrise
    Hen and Chicks-black
    Heucherella-Redstone Falls
    Lily-Gold Band
    Lily-Tiger Woods
    Siberian iris-Caesars Brother

I am humbled by your generosity, Shirley. Beautiful plants from a beautiful woman. Thank you.
    ME